PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Assume Nothing (No Drama Involved)

blues
07-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Lazy day. Hot, humid, chance of thunderstorms. Even after my workout I couldn't get my act together.

Time for the 10 minute walk down to the mailbox on the main road. Grab the dog, the lead and decided to leave the 642 since I was wearing sweat shorts and I thought it might rain.

No drama but on the way back a neighbor stops me on the road and thanks me for telling him about the bear around the other night. He has a six year old daughter and he ended up seeing it the following evening alongside their house.

Then he asks me what's going on? I look at him clueless. He says that when he was driving to pick up his daughter he saw six or eight deputies tearing around our rural subdivision and its gravel roads with lights on. I saw nothing and told him so.

Funny thing is that when I was walking down the mountain to the road I was thinking about Murphy's Law and not having a gun when you needed one, the one time you weren't carrying. Well, for me that might have been today if the deputies were chasing someone desperate enough to try to grab up a hostage, or something similar.

Well, it was an inexpensive wake up call that I shouldn't have needed, especially given my reverie...

Mayberry ain't always Mayberry, and it's better to be prepared than end up regretting the lack of preparation later on.

(Preaching to the choir but sometimes even the choir needs a wake up call.)

Totem Polar
07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Do we need to all chip in and buy you an LCP or Seecamp, or NAA mini?

:D

Joe in PNG
07-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Baby Browning .25?

blues
07-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Do we need to all chip in and buy you an LCP or Seecamp, or NAA mini?

:D

I'm not pleading poverty, only poor decision making.

642 ain't small enough?

Seecamps were pretty popular with some of the agents in my office in the federal building in NYC in the early 80's. Never bothered getting involved in the group buy.

RevolverRob
07-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Time for an NAA Mini in .22 Short? https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22s/

I'm told this is the carry gun of choice for nudists around the country. No "unarmed" excuses with those folks, there can't be any with those of us who wear clothes most of the time either.

blues
07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Time for an NAA Mini in .22 Short? https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22s/

I'm told this is the carry gun of choice for nudists around the country. No "unarmed" excuses with those folks, there can't be any with those of us who wear clothes most of the time either.

I'm kind of biased by my former employment rules for off-duty carry. Nothing smaller than .380

I doubt I'll ever carry smaller than my .38...

Now, Sidhe, if you want to chip in and buy me an M&P 340...

;)

RevolverRob
07-09-2019, 04:55 PM
I'm kind of biased by my former employment rules for off-duty carry. Nothing smaller than .380

;)

Ohh...

I didn't realize it was a weight issue with you. I thought it was a size issue. I mean, I've never tried, but I ASSumed that trying to insert a J-Frame into the 'ole Prison Purse was fairly difficult.

Too each their own. :p

The 360PD is pretty cheap. Probably want to bob the hammer off though...:eek:

blues
07-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Ohh...

I didn't realize it was a weight issue with you. I thought it was a size issue. I mean, I've never tried, but I ASSumed that trying to insert a J-Frame into the 'ole Prison Purse was fairly difficult.

Too each their own. :p

The 360PD is pretty cheap. Probably want to bob the hammer off though...:eek:

You must have me confused with one of your keister carrying associates. Academicians...it just doesn't pay to be nice to some folks...sigh.

;)

Totem Polar
07-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Seecamps were pretty popular with some of the agents in my office in the federal building in NYC in the early 80's. Never bothered getting involved in the group buy.

I had one for a while. I’ll say this; the quality would embarrass most makers this side of Dan Wesson. Just a little jewel of a pistol. But cramped, and no sights. That’s why I eventually let it go. Reliable as a stone, though, in its own weird little "stovepipe the last round so you know it’s time for sharps" way. :D

;)

I’ll trade you a new, no-lock version for two folding knives from your collection... my pick... ;)

Leroy Suggs
07-09-2019, 05:01 PM
blues maybe that little episode was a symptom of your approaching senility?:D

blues
07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
I’ll trade you a new, no-lock version for two folding knives from your collection... my pick... ;)

Almost had me...almost. ;)

A+ for effort, brother.

blues
07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
blues maybe that little episode was a symptom of your approaching senility?:D

Dementia seems more my speed.

Stephanie B
07-09-2019, 05:31 PM

I don't know if I'd turn up my nose at a Model 632 (.32 Magnum),

ralph
07-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Lazy day. Hot, humid, chance of thunderstorms. Even after my workout I couldn't get my act together.

Time for the 10 minute walk down to the mailbox on the main road. Grab the dog, the lead and decided to leave the 642 since I was wearing sweat shorts and I thought it might rain.

No drama but on the way back a neighbor stops me on the road and thanks me for telling him about the bear around the other night. He has a six year old daughter and he ended up seeing it the following evening alongside their house.

Then he asks me what's going on? I look at him clueless. He says that when he was driving to pick up his daughter he saw six or eight deputies tearing around our rural subdivision and its gravel roads with lights on. I saw nothing and told him so.

Funny thing is that when I was walking down the mountain to the road I was thinking about Murphy's Law and not having a gun when you needed one, the one time you weren't carrying. Well, for me that might have been today if the deputies were chasing someone desperate enough to try to grab up a hostage, or something similar.

Well, it was an inexpensive wake up call that I shouldn't have needed, especially given my reverie...

Mayberry ain't always Mayberry, and it's better to be prepared than end up regretting the lack of preparation later on.

(Preaching to the choir but sometimes even the choir needs a wake up call.)

Understand what you mean..I live in what you could call Mayberry..not a whole lot goes on. Anyway, a couple weeks ago in another little berg about 15 miles away, a cop was attacked, and he ended up killing the perp, a ex-con truck driver from North Carolina, who had a long record of violent assault..And this all started after he was given a summons to appear for property damage.. Perp attacked the cop with a phillips screwdriver, stabbing him prison style, 3 up high, 3 down low. The cop managed to get far enough away to draw and put 7 rnds into the perp. The cop was stabbed 4-5times, nothing life threating..
Just goes to show you that even in Mayberry, every once in a while things go sideways..

Hambo
07-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Well, you should have. They're great pistols with a sort of James Bond panache. The down side is no sights, spare mags are rarer than the pistols, and they only fed one type of ammo. Oh, and taking them apart requires an empty .32 case, and slightly less patience than a Ruger Mk II.

Now about that dementia. If perception is reality, and you perceive that you're in another location, at another time, and everything is hunky dory, well, isn't it? ;)

mmc45414
07-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Probably should go all-in and get the PD version, I think it only costs about $75 per ounce more...

blues
07-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Now about that dementia. If perception is reality, and you perceive that you're in another location, at another time, and everything is hunky dory, well, isn't it? ;)

It's all fun and games until Ginger and Mary Ann turn out to be...

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/young-aileen.jpg

and

https://www.liveabout.com/thmb/5HqY4zyulCg8tTIxVN8p2MANMvo=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/tyriamoore-57c705175f9b5829f436aba3.jpg

Totem Polar
07-09-2019, 06:23 PM
^^^LoL!

Also, my memory is that later Seecamps would feed other ammo besides silvertip, but
I’ve slept a lot since then.

blues
07-09-2019, 06:45 PM
^^^LoL!

Also, my memory is that later Seecamps would feed other ammo besides silvertip, but
I’ve slept a lot since then.

I remember the guys using stingers with theirs.

Ed L
07-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Topic drift: I have never had a Seecamp that either came from the factory that worked OR lasted more than 200 rounds without breaking.

I picked up my first Seecamp .32 in the early 1990s at an out of the way Dallas gun store that has long since closed down. It was $380 at a time when these guns were selling for something like $800+ on the open market, and the company had at least a year waiting list on orders. I put about 200 rounds of Silvertip through the gun and it worked. So when I found a second one at the same store for the same price I bought it, but it did not work. It took 8 months of faxes and letters and certified letters to the factory to get it repaired. I got it back and it worked.

A few years later I was firing the original Seecamp and it broke. I doubt the gun had more than 400 rounds through it. Sent it back to the factory for repair and went through the same thing. Finally after 10 months the factory called me back and told me that they could not fix it because they changed their machinery so they would send me a replacement. I accepted their offer, testfired it for 200 rounds, and called it good. I later wound up selling the older one, while the newer one languished in the safe. In 2013 I took it shooting and it broke within a box of ammo. Sent it back and it took forever to get repaired. It now resides somewhere in my safe. I am not really sure why I still have it, but I am afraid to test fire it for fear it may break. I probably need to sell it along with a number of other things.

For a gun to carry with sweats I would recommend a S&W 442 with a clip thing. I don't remember the name of the clip, but here is a picture of mine with it. It is just light enough to clip to sweatpants without dragging them down providing that the sweatpants cord is tight enough to prevent them from being overly loose. I keep it loaded with wadcutters. For pocket carry I am fine with a regular 640 or a 640 Pro. Attached is a picture of the 442 with the clip on thing.

Yung
07-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Part of my motivation toward being disciplined in carrying again for post-service life was remembering the emotional distress of hearing an NCO ask, "Where's your weapon?" even when I knew the question was not directed at me.

HCM
07-10-2019, 12:28 AM
I'm not pleading poverty, only poor decision making.

642 ain't small enough?

642 is small enough but is it light enough for gym /sweat shorts without dragging your drawers down like you are the next rap sensation ?

Duelist
07-10-2019, 02:24 AM
Smartcarry makes the question “should I try to take my jframe with me in my shorts/sweats?” moot, since that’s what it does: makes carrying while wearing loose pants easy. Easy button-easy.

farscott
07-10-2019, 05:26 AM
Well, you should have. They're great pistols with a sort of James Bond panache. The down side is no sights, spare mags are rarer than the pistols, and they only fed one type of ammo. Oh, and taking them apart requires an empty .32 case, and slightly less patience than a Ruger Mk II.

Agree on the sights, but spare magazines are not an issue. https://l-w-seecamp-co.myshopify.com/collections/seecamp-spare-magazines

The field strip is simple once you have done it once. The thing to remember is to NEVER pull the trigger or manipulate the slide without a magazine in the gun as that can be fatal to the springs. The magazine supports the draw bar assembly as the trigger is pulled. To unload, the magazine needs to be in the pistol but not locked so that the top round, if any, cannot feed. I went back to the Seecamp LWS-32 as a backup gun because it disappears in a pocket holster and loaded weighs no more than a S&W 642. Mine are reliable with Gold Dot and Hydra-Shok. The Seecamp is different from other pistols, so practice in loading and unloading before heading to the range is crucial. The lack of sights means mine is limited to VERY "up close and personal".

LSP552
07-10-2019, 05:27 AM
642 is small enough but is it light enough for gym /sweat shorts without dragging your drawers down like you are the next rap sensation ?

That’s why I have a G42. I’d hate to be confused with a rap star....

blues
07-10-2019, 07:40 AM

I can wear it on a pair of very light Champion's. It sags them at the point of attachment but you can't see it under a t-shirt.

On my sweat shorts (LL Bean) it's not noticeable at all and only has a minimal pull.

Now, if I had to run, I'd have one hand on the holster or grip of the gun for sure. But walking the dog...no problem.

NickA
07-10-2019, 07:53 AM
I've been trying out an LCP in the pocket for gym shorts/dog walking duty; it does cause a little sagging but not too bad. A 642 in the DSG clip on works too but (for me at least) the shorts need to have a drawstring that can be tied pretty tight.

The downside is that's about the only time I use either of those guns, and I swear to God my mini Schnauzer knows it. They cause the same response as her seeing her leash: a bunch of yowling and running around like a Tasmanian devil on crack.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
07-10-2019, 08:06 AM
The best solution I have found for gym shorts carry is my normal carry choice in a fanny pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sensei
07-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Smartcarry makes the question “should I try to take my jframe with me in my shorts/sweats?” moot, since that’s what it does: makes carrying while wearing loose pants easy. Easy button-easy.

I agree. I’ve been using a Smartcarry for several years now in conjunction with the mini Glocks (26, 43, and 43X). It is the best deep concealment option out there for pants with draw strings or elastic such as scrubs or gym shorts.

JAD
07-10-2019, 08:28 AM
I like fanny packs, and have had good luck with the PT-2 http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/ which is essentially a concealable fanny pack. I use it a lot when running. For dog walking though I have been able to con myself into pulling on grown-up shorts, because I'd rather have my wallet, money, light, knife, poop bags, and phone distributed through the pockets. At that point I have a belt, and might as well carry the LWC.

Baldanders
07-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Seecamps are cool but the p32 is the secret shame carry gun of P-F.

Mine is a tank, been through 1k rounds and going strong, and half the felt recoil of my wife's Tomcat. Breaks down like a Glock.

It makes sticking to my "armed 100% of the time if it's legal" commitment easy. Aside from the shit sights and zero bragging rights, the only drawback is the fact that it is too easy to forget I'm packing.

idahojess
07-10-2019, 02:50 PM

I just picked up a p32 at Palmetto -- 150 bucks (on sale periodically). Interested to see how it shoots. I got tired of the nastiness of the LCP, seemed like it always bit my trigger finger.

I have a 340 pd, so I don't need the p32, but it might be useful with some types of clothing. I tend to wear cargo shorts for the same reason JAD mentioned, and the 340 is fine with those. The 340pd is not a cheap gun, but I've certainly got my use out of it.

Gray01
07-10-2019, 04:04 PM
When we had the ranch we never ventured anywhere sans arms. Because our then environment included bear, cougar, wolverine, etc, (and the occasional bipedal mouth-breather who "accidentally" traveled a half-mile up a private road after coming through a gate), the premise of being unarmed was not on the menu.

Several copies of the "The Original Tommy's Gun Pack", developed and manufactured by Kickin' A Packs 'N Stuff, hung at each egress point, with G21's, spare mag, and pepper spray in each, ready for quick donning for unplanned or impromptu exits.

HCM
07-10-2019, 05:09 PM

Mine is a tank, been through 1k rounds and going strong, and half the felt recoil of my wife's Tomcat. Breaks down like a Glock.

It makes sticking to my "armed 100% of the time if it's legal" commitment easy. Aside from the shit sights and zero bragging rights, the only drawback is the fact that it is too easy to forget I'm packing.

The caveat being *if you get one that works.

BillSWPA
07-10-2019, 08:28 PM
For those of you with a P-32:

Be sure to test it loaded with 7+1. If it jams on the first shot when so loaded, replace the factory 9 lb. recoil springs with Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs. The jams occur because the rim of the top cartridge is in the groove of the cartridge below it. The 9 lb. springs will not overcome this condition when the gun is loaded with 7+1, but the 11 lb. springs will overcome it.

Load the magazines carefully to avoid getting the rim of a cartridge behind the rim of the cartridge below it (rimlock).

The best solution to the poor sights is a Crimson Trace LaserGuard.

With the above in mind, I do not know of a better .32 pistol or a better pocket gun for those who do not like recoil.

mmc45414
07-10-2019, 09:51 PM
I have been wearing compression shorts, not because I am doing that much movement, or have that big a package, but to add some elastic to the waistband...

blues
07-10-2019, 10:23 PM
I have been wearing compression shorts, not because I am doing that much movement, or have that big a package, but to add some elastic to the waistband...

Thank you for sharing...

:rolleyes:

;)

Baldanders
07-10-2019, 10:26 PM
For those of you with a P-32:

Be sure to test it loaded with 7+1. If it jams on the first shot when so loaded, replace the factory 9 lb. recoil springs with Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs. The jams occur because the rim of the top cartridge is in the groove of the cartridge below it. The 9 lb. springs will not overcome this condition when the gun is loaded with 7+1, but the 11 lb. springs will overcome it.

Load the magazines carefully to avoid getting the rim of a cartridge behind the rim of the cartridge below it (rimlock).

The best solution to the poor sights is a Crimson Trace LaserGuard.

With the above in mind, I do not know of a better .32 pistol or a better pocket gun for those who do not like recoil.

Info like this is why I need to start a real p32 thread so we can share all our tricks!

I would advise using hot ammo if you run into other feeding problems. PPU barely cycles the slide on my p32. The only ammo I have experienced rimlock with is Winchester fmj.

The p32 has to be the only modern gun that has an owner's manual that gives the thumbs up to non-SAMMI spec ammo.