PDA

View Full Version : Ow! My trigger finger hurts.

MTechnik
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
All of this dry fire with a double action trigger... then followed by range sessions working with the double action in a draw-and-fire drill... (starting to realize how much I used Single Action)... now my trigger finger is hurting.

I know, I'll get a callous, and all will be fine. But, OW!

Now I have a 2-day pistol class next weekend! This will be interesting.

Any recommendations for sore trigger finger? Ice next weekend? Dry fire a lot all week to build up a callous there quickly? Just take tylenol and deal? (no ibuprofen for me)

gtmtnbiker98
03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Any recommendations for sore trigger finger? Ice next weekend? Dry fire a lot all week to build up a callous there quickly? Just take tylenol and deal? (no ibuprofen for me)Are you being serious?

MTechnik
03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Are you being serious?

somewhat. by the end of the day sunday I don't want to be thinking "damn my finger hurts" when I should be focusing on the instructor.

Really, it won't be a problem. Was just wondering if there were any easy fixes besides manning up.

MechEng
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
No pain no gain.

Or another way to look at it.

Know pain Know gain.

It's like this, when you first start to work out again, after a long hiatus or for the first time ever, you get really sore. But it's a good sore.

MTechnik
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah.

The pain isn't muscular, it's on the inside of my trigger finger, where it takes the 12lb load on the DA pull. I have soft hands from working a keyboard all day.

I thought the instructors here that see other soft-handed shooters come in and shoot 800 rounds in a weekend would have a "oh, do this" tip.

It's all good.

joshs
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Eventually you will get a callous and it won't hurt anymore. Until then, there is not a lot you can do. What pistol are you using?

jslaker
03-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Similarly, I started playing guitar again after not really having touched one in a couple of years; I literally wore holes in the pads of my fingers at first. All you can really do is power through, wait for them to heal and callouses to build. I can't imagine it's any different for firearms.

John Ralston
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Mole Skin is your friend...

gtmtnbiker98
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I've grown a callous on my index finger from shooting so much. I guess that's a good thing, but I've never had a problem nor experienced any weakness/soreness after using my P30 V3 after an extended range session. I also dry fire at least 20-minutes three days a week and shoot at the PD range 3-days a week.

DonovanM
03-13-2011, 05:26 PM
What pistol are you using?

Sounds like a Beretta 92/96.

Does it have a serrated trigger? I know some SIGs and Glocks come with them. Try to swap it out with a smooth one if it does.

Dry fire as much as you can to get used to it. For the class, you could also try wrapping your finger (only the tip) in athletic tape - available from your local drug store. It's white and usually 1"+ wide. It'll degrade your feeling of the trigger, but might be worth it after a long day on the range. I've used it on my hands before when getting sore while dry firing, but not my trigger finger.

I have a 10lb DA trigger on my 226 and don't have a callus on my index finger. My trigger is nicely wide and smooth though - the calluses I have are on my right hand in the web of my thumb and on my middle finger where it contacts the trigger guard, and on the left hand I have one on on my palm where it contacts the grip tape I have right below my slide release.

MTechnik
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a Beretta 92/96.

Does it have a serrated trigger? I know some SIGs and Glocks come with them. Try to swap it out with a smooth one if it does.

Dry fire as much as you can to get used to it. For the class, you could also try wrapping your finger (only the tip) in athletic tape - available from your local drug store. It's white and usually 1"+ wide. It'll degrade your feeling of the trigger, but might be worth it after a long day on the range. I've used it on my hands before when getting sore while dry firing, but not my trigger finger.

I have a 10lb DA trigger on my 226 and don't have a callus on my index finger. My trigger is nicely wide and smooth though - the calluses I have are on my right hand in the web of my thumb and on my middle finger where it contacts the trigger guard, and on the left hand I have one on on my palm where it contacts the grip tape I have right below my slide release.

It is an FNP-9. But I have decided to pick up a Glock 19 this week. Just have to find a good deal on one. But I will keep the FNP for dry fire exercise to get better with a heavier trigger, then go back to the lighter one in the glock.

Arclight
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
As long as it doesn't get infected, you'll be fine. If it gets infected, it could get swollen or itchy. We all know the dangers of an itchy trigger finger....

:cool:

joshs
03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
But I will keep the FNP for dry fire exercise to get better with a heavier trigger, then go back to the lighter one in the glock.

While dry firing a heavy trigger will certainly be helpful for working on trigger control, dry firing a heavy trigger and carrying a lighter one should be done with caution. If you are used to the heavier trigger and then need to use your carry gun, you may go through the trigger's travel too quickly and fire a round before you intended.

If you want to maintain proficiency with both guns, it is a good idea to end each dry fire session with your carry gun to acclimate your brain to the trigger.

Kyle Reese
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Joshs is 100% spot on. Are going to carry the Glock 19 for defensive purposes?

While dry firing a heavy trigger will certainly be helpful for working on trigger control, dry firing a heavy trigger and carrying a lighter one should be done with caution. If you are used to the heavier trigger and then need to use your carry gun, you may go through the trigger's travel too quickly and fire a round before you intended.

If you want to maintain proficiency with both guns, it is a good idea to end each dry fire session with your carry gun to acclimate your brain to the trigger.

MTechnik
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Joshs is 100% spot on. Are going to carry the Glock 19 for defensive purposes?

Yes, the thought would be to use the glock 19 for everything - training, range, defense, competition. I'd say 2/3 of the dry fire I'd do on the glock, 1/3 of the DA on the FNP.

Great point, JoshS, and will remember that when doing dry fire practice.