PDA

View Full Version : Return of the FDE Glock

JHC
04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
You just know these will run great! ;) http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/04/02/fde-glocks-coming-from-lippeys/

orionz06
04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Must.Resist.

JHC
04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Must.Resist.

+100 LOL

JConn
04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Shit, just bought two 17s. I would have to really hide this one.

Jay Cunningham
04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I think I'm ready to take the Gen 4 plunge now.

Shokr21
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd love to have a FDE g19, but that price point is $250 over what I can get them for (blue line, rather mil discount).

Any idea if they'd be available direct through glock at that price or available at all at a price that isn't $150 over the going rate for a glock.

I like the fde but I don't like it as much as a case to a case and a half of ammo worth to put through it.

VolGrad
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I call April fool.

orionz06
04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Where are the Kleenexes?

JHC
04-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I call April fool.

uuuw good thought. But if so GearScout's clocks are jacked. And the LT is lining up the funds for a spare Gen 4 G19.

Maybe he should go all the way to this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=279936945#PIC

More on the FDE http://www.gunblast.com/Glock-21DE.htm

I have an OD G17 from quite a few years back and my thread title is prob messed up. This isn't a "return" if these are actually FDE as in tan vs the OD Glocks. Some of the OD guns didn't really come out OD either.

VolGrad
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
If it is true I will laugh my behind off. I have cashed in all but one of the OD GLOCKs I bought before they discontinued the color and ppl started paying absurd premiums for them. I have made so much money on OD GLOCKs it's barely even funny. I kept saying ppl need to cash out before GLOCK decides to start making colors again and kills the market.

I always heard the rumor that Gaston HATES the colored GLOCKs. The ODs were supposedly made for a MIL contract and some overruns were released in the commercial market. They did well so they kept making & selling more. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny that rumor?

jmjames
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot (always a likely explanation...), but why in the world would someone pay a markup more than $50 or so for a colored Glock, considering that there are a variety of options like DuraCote, CeraKote, etc. that can be applied for that amount of money?

J.Ja

JV_
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
but why in the world would someone pay a markup more than $50 or so for a colored Glock, considering ...considering that it may also be weaker too.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?585-Trade-In-Gen3-19s&p=8872&viewfull=1#post8872

JHC
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot (always a likely explanation...), but why in the world would someone pay a markup more than $50 or so for a colored Glock, considering that there are a variety of options like DuraCote, CeraKote, etc. that can be applied for that amount of money?

J.Ja

True dat. I wouldn't but I'm not convinced there will be much of a markup either when it comes to street price at my high volume LGS anyway.

JHC
04-02-2012, 07:22 PM
considering that it may also be weaker too.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?585-Trade-In-Gen3-19s&p=8872&viewfull=1#post8872

That has certainly been true of other polymers that changed around the carbon content for color. Why wouldn't it be true here. But if it's strong enough . . . or hell, start a panic - the difference could affect recoil harmonics. ;) But FWIW, my old OD 17 has run as well as any but I haven't run over it with anything.

JHC
04-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Ha! Epically mis-titled thread insofar as the civilian market. But Larry Vickers makes some interesting comments about the history of the FDE Glock on M4C. Seems the only specimens heretofore were built for an "elite Army special missions unit".

He has ordered four of them.

jlw
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I'll stick with the plain ol' black models.

Tamara
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I have never understood why I should buy a pistol that would be harder to find if I dropped it.

Besides, if someone really wanted to release a "camouflaged" pistol for the civilian CCW market, it should be done in a Hawaiian shirt pattern, and not MultiOliveCoyoteEarth. (Kind of like Air Force camouflage, which should be printed with patterns of drinking fountains, computer monitors, and desk blotters instead of purple tiger stripes...)

JHC
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I'll stick with the plain ol' black models.

There may be several thousand lightly used black models hitting the shelves this year too. ;)

seabiscuit
04-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I have never understood why I should buy a pistol that would be harder to find if I dropped it.(Kind of like Air Force camouflage, which should be printed with patterns of drinking fountains, computer monitors, and desk blotters instead of purple tiger stripes...)

Hey. I resemble that remark. I'm wearing ABUs right now. And yeah, they don't really help me hide except in a group of other people wearing them.

But in about two months, I'll start pulling on an OD flight suit. Pajamas to work!

jmjames
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Besides, if someone really wanted to release a "camouflaged" pistol for the civilian CCW market, it should be done in a Hawaiian shirt pattern, and not MultiOliveCoyoteEarth. (Kind of like Air Force camouflage, which should be printed with patterns of drinking fountains, computer monitors, and desk blotters instead of purple tiger stripes...)

You know what just arrived yesterday in the mail for me? A Hawaiian shirt. And I keep thinking about getting some denim from the fabric store and contact cementing it to my OWB holster to help it blend in with my jeans in case my shirt rises a bit, or wrapping it up so it just looks like a big cell phone pouch.

J.Ja

jlw
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
There may be several thousand lightly used black models hitting the shelves this year too. ;)

LOL. Good point.

I get them at the blue label price or as GSSF prizes.

ffhounddog
04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I like my guns black or Shinny Silver. Send me your Black/Two Tone Glocks to me. :D

Long tom coffin
04-04-2012, 12:08 AM
True dat. I wouldn't but I'm not convinced there will be much of a markup either when it comes to street price at my high volume LGS anyway.

Hear hear. I could really give a toot what my gun looks like. The used gen 2 I'm now currently looks well used, and has plenty of slide wear, dings, nicks, and other assorted imperfections. It also has grip tape and some other cosmetic modifications on it that quite frankly make it fugly as sin. But I don't really care considering it is a tool to save my life, not a showpiece. The only people who see it are people at the range or people I'm about to shoot, and it's not like they are going to care what shade of the rainbow my gun is.

I remember when the announcement came out that the OD's were being discontinued, and they started fetching collector grade prices on gunbroker. Sad. The day I blow $700 bucks on a colored glock instead of training classes and crap load of ammo is the day I abandon this forum entirely and migrate to GlockTalk. Ugh.

Packy
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM
fde glocks... no more Chipping frames????

EMC
04-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Happens to me every time. I buy an FNP, they come out with the FNX. I buy a black glock, they come out with this. I'm a catalyst for innovation.

LOKNLOD
04-04-2012, 07:54 AM
I really like(d) the OD Glocks, and these look cool too. Don't know that I'd rush out to buy one, but if I was in the market and it was available I would consider.

Happens to me every time. I buy an FNP, they come out with the FNX. I buy a black glock, they come out with this. I'm a catalyst for innovation.

We must be related, same thing happens to me, and usually includes a massive price drop. We should join forces and buy something at the same time, the next week it will be 4x better and on sale for 75% off.

JHC
04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

ROFLMAO!!! That's epic man! :D

ToddG
04-04-2012, 08:11 AM
"Everyone says our guns are ugly. Maybe if we make the frame the color of feces, they'll like 'em better!"

And it worked. You people are weird.

JHC
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
"Everyone says our guns are ugly. Maybe if we make the frame the color of feces, they'll like 'em better!"

And it worked. You people are weird.

ROFL!!! [christ I can hardly breathe!] That line and Tamara's about not buying a gun that's HARDER to find if you dropped it are tied for best place. lol

Tamara
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM

When ordering the things from my main distributor, I always referred to them that way, as in "Send me five 19s; three regular and two of those baby$#!+ green ones."

JHC
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
From Larry Vickers at the link:

"Just talked to my bro at Lipseys - 5500 FDE Glocks sold out in 3 days!! Now you have to hit your dealer to see if he has any

More will be available in a few months- my call is they will be pre sold from Lipseys before they arrive

Bottomline is if you want one of these, and you have not already got a line on one, you need to get hot on it right now before scalper prices hit

Can't say you weren't warned....

Cheers

LAV "

http://www.m4carbine.net/showt....php?t=102742&page=5

orionz06
04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I should have a Gen 4 FDE G17 on the way...

because owning a gen 3 that works is just not good enough....

DonovanM
04-06-2012, 08:41 PM
They even make G34's in FDE!

Just kidding. Bought an FDE 17 today and swapped slides :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/vehementi/IMG_0144.jpg

JHC
04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
My favorite LGS sold almost 50 of these today. They said it just nuts.

KravPirate
04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
My favorite LGS sold almost 50 of these today. They said it just nuts.

I don't get it.

DonovanM
04-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't get it.

It matches my AR :D

DanH
04-07-2012, 01:02 AM
soooooo

about those gently used black ones.... :cool:

EVP
04-07-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't get it.

I don't either, I mean why is there a frenzy over a different color frame? Its a Glock. Are people reselling them for profit or something?

JHC
04-07-2012, 07:29 AM
And when I said they said it was "nuts" they did not mean foolish in any way. Just that they'd never seen so much attention focused on one product in a 24 hour period. By end of day yesterday they were down to a handful of FDE G23's. They never could get delivery of a G21.

I thought the color looked more like a dark coyote brown vs the lighter shades I see on a lot of pics. And crazy as it sounds, a lot of shooters sort of "collect" these things although the concept is different that collecting works of art like a Colt SAA or 1911. More like Matchbox cars for older boys. I have an old OD G17 which shoots the same as any I've owned but I like it for it's differentness. Three adults in our family team were in the market for carry or training guns at some point this year so we scored a couple FDEs. It will be interesting to see how they run. It's always interesting to confirm that!

I have and shoot three RTF2 guns. I think they're the highest evolution of the breed. But, part of why I like them is the origin of how and why the RTF2 came to be (SOF inspired) or with the G21 SF RTF2 the story of the Fed unit that requested they be built. Much like Larry Vickers point made about the story of the FDE guns; I gathered that was his only reason for buying four. It's not like they were his guns back in the day. In fact if you found that thread he went on to comment that he assumed "they" chose the G22 for capacity and a smaller gun to manage than the much larger G21 although he has never agreed with the caliber choice.

I'm hopeful someone will order up the 5K minimum of RTF2's again. I think they'd sell out too. Especially in OD. ;)

EMC
04-07-2012, 09:30 AM
"The FDE Glock. So you can be different while being the same" ;)

EVP
04-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Makes sense JHC, if rtf2 are made again I would for sure pick a couple up!

JHC
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
"The FDE Glock. So you can be different while being the same" ;)

That would be quite the marketing hook if they had time to market them. ;) But not as flat out epic as Todd's "Everybody says our guns are ugly. Let's make them the color of feces." Still ROFL days later.

Blayglock
04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Burnt bronze Cerakote is the new FDE

GJM
04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Makes sense JHC, if rtf2 are made again I would for sure pick a couple up!

As of last week, this guy has about 20 new ones for sale for between $500 and $520.

Michael Pliler mikeshootersstation@gmail.com

JAD
04-08-2012, 07:42 AM
I should have a Gen 4 FDE G17 on the way...

because owning a gen 3 that works is just not good enough....

Well, at least that way you'll be able to tell at a glance which gun works...

JHC
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
100 rounds in Gen 4 G19 FDE
230 rounds in Gen 4 G17 FDE

Good function, good ejection, new ejector in both guns. G17 impacts pretty high at 25 yards. Will need a .245 tall front.

EVP
04-08-2012, 10:12 PM
As of last week, this guy has about 20 new ones for sale for between $500 and $520.

Sweet thanks GJM.

orionz06
04-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Well, at least that way you'll be able to tell at a glance which gun works...

I was sort of being sarcastic. I had to toss in a Lone Wolf extractor to make it work well. I was getting stuck cases every 150-200 rounds.

JHC
04-09-2012, 03:59 AM

(re these RTF2 guns, FWIW, YMMV but side by side RTF2 G17 vs FDE Gen 4 G17: I was faster with better hits yesterday with the RTF2. Which didn't surprise me. It locks into my hand better and has a "better" as in somewhat lighter Gen 3 trigger.

GJM
04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
(re these RTF2 guns, FWIW, YMMV but side by side RTF2 G17 vs FDE Gen 4 G17: I was faster with better hits yesterday with the RTF2. Which didn't surprise me. It locks into my hand better and has a "better" as in somewhat lighter Gen 3 trigger.

I don't think it is just the weight that makes a Gen 3 trigger better -- it is the junk in the Gen 4 trigger between take-up and the break, that most Gen 3 triggers don't seem to have.

JHC
04-09-2012, 08:03 AM
You may be right. I have somewhat dead senses about trigger nuance. And regarding my earlier note about the FDE Gen 4 G17 needing a .245 front because it impacts high. I'll bolt on a .245 next weekend but I'm not sure that'll be enough. It may need a suppresssor front sight! :confused: It was real high. I didn't measure it but it might have been a foot high. Grouped nice though. Speer Lawman 147 gr looked to have 2" potential in it although I kept pulling 1 of every five low (called) as I worked that dot connector Gen 4 trigger. But a couple times I could get four of 5 in 2" or bettter (braced/rested).