PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis gun...thinking about a USP Expert

KevH
07-05-2019, 06:45 PM
In the past few months I have developed tendonitis in my right elbow and wrist so bad that its making shooting pretty unenjoyable. My 9mm Glocks are ok to hold, but the recoil from them is still enough to hurt (I never thought I'd say that). I'm going to work on getting my arm better in the coming months, but with our Fall range training instructor duties rapidly approaching I'm looking for a unicorn...a fairly light gun with minimal recoil. For those that have played with them, would a 9mm USP Expert fit that role? If I'm going to look for one and find a Safariland holster for one in time (our Fall calendar starts 9/4) I have to start right now. Dagga Boy GJM Any thoughts?

JTQ
07-05-2019, 07:06 PM
I don't know if it'll help, but I had this "Comfy Gun" thread a while back

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34800-The-quot-comfy-quot-gun

MGW
07-05-2019, 07:31 PM
I've not shot an expert but the standard USP's are not what I would call light recoiling pistols. I find CZ P09's some of the lightest recoiling polymer pistols I've shot.

ralph
07-05-2019, 07:41 PM
I've not shot an expert but the standard USP's are not what I would call light recoiling pistols. I find CZ P09's some of the lightest recoiling polymer pistols I've shot.

That or a steel framed gun, like a CZ SP-01, or a alloy framed Beretta 92, A steel framed SP-01 weighs close to 40oz, so it should soak up recoil. You could look around for one of the CZ ( sku #99021,99041) compacts, often called "SP-01 compacts" these look alot loke a P01, but they have a beavertail like a SP-01, something regular P01's do not have, they're heavy, too mine weighs something like 41 oz, loaded.

I know you're looking for something light with low recoil but honestly I don't think something like that exists, I also don't know how much recoil you can handle without discomfort, a heavier gun might work for the time being.

KevH
07-05-2019, 07:49 PM
I agree that a heavy gun soaks up recoils, but heavy is also part of my problem. Holding a hot mug of coffee at extension is painful right now.

I want a somewhat light gun that also soaks up recoil.

...and CZ's are out. I'm limited by department policy to S&W, Glock, SIG, Beretta, Springfield or H&K (except for 1911's / BHP's).

ralph
07-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Oops, screwed that all up...sorry.

ralph
07-05-2019, 08:00 PM
I agree that a heavy gun soaks up recoils, but heavy is also part of my problem. Holding a hot mug of coffee at extension is painful right now.

I want a somewhat light gun that also soaks up recoil.

...and CZ's are out. I'm limited by department policy to S&W, Glock, SIG, Beretta, Springfield or H&K (except for 1911's / BHP's).

Well, maybe look into a Beretta, the locking block design means the barrel dosen't tilt upwards, and the slide comes straight back, and I think that would keep muzzle flip down, which may help you out, and being alloy framed adds some weight which will also help.

Question..what's your DR say? I mean, is there any therapy you can get that'll help?

1slow
07-05-2019, 08:04 PM
HK USPs tend to be soft recoiling guns.

A 9mm Expert might be worth a try. GJM, Dagga Boy could better tell you.

GJM
07-05-2019, 08:14 PM
A USP Expert shoots soft, especially with lower power factor ammo.

I would go all out with weights and whatever you have to do to fix the pain. My wife has been battling it for six months, but keeps it manageable with reverse curls, a thera band and finger extensions.

David S.
07-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Firearms Nation Podcast: Chad Reilly interview on "Shooters Elbow" (https://firearmsnation.com/chad-reilly-no-more-tennis-elbow/). Might be worth pursuing.

pangloss
07-05-2019, 08:22 PM
My vote is for a PX4. My compact models definitely have less felt recoil than a G19. I've never shot a full size PX4 though.

Regarding tendonitis, I had a nasty bout in my right arm/elbow a few years ago. Rest combined with the max dose of Advil was the only thing that helped. After several days of essentially not using my right arm, I experienced a lot of improvement. I ate with my left hand, brushed teeth with my left hand, and drove as little as possible. (My car is a stick shift.). Basically I did everything possible to avoid using my right arm.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

YVK
07-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Time for anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, and catching up on your carbine shooting.

Duelist
07-05-2019, 08:35 PM
M&P 2.0 5” surprised me with how little felt recoil it transmitted to my hand/wrist.

KevH
07-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Firearms Nation Podcast: Chad Reilly interview on "Shooters Elbow" (https://firearmsnation.com/chad-reilly-no-more-tennis-elbow/). Might be worth pursuing.

Thank you!!!!

GJM
07-05-2019, 08:43 PM

This fixed my elbow issues.

There is also a theory that gripping side to side, instead of front to back, causes elbow problems.

OlongJohnson
07-05-2019, 09:10 PM
The USP Expert slide speed is rather slow, IME. Enough that I actually notice it going back into battery, and I don't normally track the motion of the slide after the shot.

JodyH
07-05-2019, 09:33 PM
My tennis elbow took 7 months to heal.
It flat out sucked hard for 6 of those months and then almost overnight the pain went away.

The two pistols that I was able to tolerate the best were a 19X and a full size M&P 9mm.
The 19X because the grip to slide leverage ratio seems to help with recoil dampening.
The full size M&P has always impressed me with how soft it shoots, I originally bought it when my boy was 9 and with the small backstrap it was the perfect beginner pistol.

JodyH
07-05-2019, 09:37 PM
One thing that gave me a lot of relief was to wear a wrist brace at night to keep my from curling my wrist up at night.
I was told that if you tend to curl your wrists up when you sleep that it keeps tension on the elbow tendon all night and exacerbates tendonitis.
After the first night with a brace (cheap ACE) I woke up with much less pain to start the day (by the end of the day it still sucked, but at least i started out better).

SoCalDep
07-05-2019, 09:49 PM
I’m sure this won’t apply to everybody, but I found shooting Glocks to be the worst for my lateral epycondilitis.... however you spell it. I think it has to do with both the grip angle and the heavier take up for each shot. Shooting a Beretta with the double action, followed by the lighter easier single action doesn’t seem to bug me as much. 1911s, even 45s aren’t as much of an issue either. My M&P 2.0 5” feels very soft shooting and is fairly light as well. Trigger is much more comfortable.

I’ve been dealing with elbow issues since 2012 and I found that not shooting dowsn’t Really help. There are a couple really good YouTube videos that really helped me. One is by (to my understanding) Rob Leatham’s physical therapist. I’ll try to find/link them.

I know how you feel, as there was a time I couldn’t pick up a small glass of wine at full extension without significant pain. Drawing made me wince to the point other people were noticing... and I was going slow. The exercises in the YouTube videos are why I’m not having major issues today.

vsdtrek
07-05-2019, 10:04 PM
A USP Expert shoots soft, especially with lower power factor ammo.

I would go all out with weights and whatever you have to do to fix the pain. My wife has been battling it for six months, but keeps it manageable with reverse curls, a thera band and finger extensions.

To GJM's point, exercise will help. The TheraBand Flexbar is the thing to get for elbow issues. I play a ton of tennis and golf, and this thing is a must have for any elbow issue

M2CattleCo
07-06-2019, 07:08 AM
I’m sure this won’t apply to everybody, but I found shooting Glocks to be the worst for my lateral epycondilitis.... however you spell it. I think it has to do with both the grip angle and the heavier take up for each shot. Shooting a Beretta with the double action, followed by the lighter easier single action doesn’t seem to bug me as much. 1911s, even 45s aren’t as much of an issue either. My M&P 2.0 5” feels very soft shooting and is fairly light as well. Trigger is much more comfortable.

I’ve been dealing with elbow issues since 2012 and I found that not shooting dowsn’t Really help. There are a couple really good YouTube videos that really helped me. One is by (to my understanding) Rob Leatham’s physical therapist. I’ll try to find/link them.

I know how you feel, as there was a time I couldn’t pick up a small glass of wine at full extension without significant pain. Drawing made me wince to the point other people were noticing... and I was going slow. The exercises in the YouTube videos are why I’m not having major issues today.

Same thing I found.

The airplane I fly at work aggravates my elbow. A 1911 and a single action revolver are the two easiest ones for me to shoot. Double action went to hell as grip strength is fine, but the dexterity required for a DA shot is dicey.

Hambo
07-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Physical therapy. Mine wasn't bad so I searched YouTube for PT for tennis elbow. That and figuring out the cause, which in my case was lifting weights. I didn't quit, but I did change my routine and frequency. Now for the bad news, if you're of a certain age, you cure tennis elbow and then your hands start hurting. This causes another round of figuring it out the cause...

Rex G
07-06-2019, 10:18 AM
One thing that gave me a lot of relief was to wear a wrist brace at night to keep my from curling my wrist up at night.
I was told that if you tend to curl your wrists up when you sleep that it keeps tension on the elbow tendon all night and exacerbates tendonitis.
After the first night with a brace (cheap ACE) I woke up with much less pain to start the day (by the end of the day it still sucked, but at least i started out better).

This. Many of use will make repetitive motions as we sleep, which can aggravate repetitive-motion injuries.

For a while, I slept with a splint on each hand/arm, though the issue was CTS. FWIW, I kept a single-action revolver, and a shotgun, very close, while sleeping, as these could be manipulated if I had to act before having an opportunity to remove the splints. (The Colt SAA, and its faithful design copies, have quite small grip frames and grips.)

The actual prescription for curing my elbow tendonitis was a three-pound dumbbell, plenty of wrist curls, and plenty of very thorough stretching.

runcible
07-06-2019, 10:33 AM
It's not quite what you asked for, but combinations of the following have done for my folks at work with similar issues:

A. Shooting with an "elbows rolled over" grip, or involving the trapezius and pectoral muscles to wring by any other name... For some, this was what clinched things as far as shifting methodologies; as while it is a relatively tiresome method, it hugely takes the sharpness out of shooting for employment.

B. Use of an Armaid roller widget to address the up-front sharpness\discomfort of the tendonitis.

C. Keeping a lacrosse ball readily accessible and using it for on-the-spot relief in the event of a flare, and for time-available rehab work.

More broadly, hammer-fired guns seem to feel sharper in recoil for the first part of the recoil cycle (slide is recocking the hammer) and striker-fired guns seem to feel comparatively sharper at the end of the recoil cycle (slide hits travel stops). Which of those will be less crappy for you is going to be a reflection of your specific reality, and where your tendonitis flares most fully - at full extension (leans towards striker-fired) or as the elbow bends (leans towards hammer-fired)?

Monitoring and as-required replacement of your pistol's recoil spring can help keep a little bit of the sting out of recoil. There's a sharpness to recoil that is one of my main cues to replace my recoil spring, that doesn't get any better when there's damage in-play.

Clobbersaurus
07-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Another vote here for the PX4. They are soft recoiling guns, at least the full size was for me.

I had to deal with tennis elbow, the Theraband Flex worked well for me to solve it.

BillSWPA
07-06-2019, 10:40 AM
If you go the physical therapy route, find the people who work with college and professional athletes in your area. They will be better at spotting the little differ ices in how you do the exercises that make a big difference, as well as having a higher expectation of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
07-06-2019, 11:52 AM
A Colt SAA clone of Vaquero loaded with .38 special cowboy loads.

Whenever my carpal tunnel flares up, anything but the softest shooting guns is hard. A .22 auto or revolver is sometimes all I can handle.

Baldanders
07-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Yet another vote for a px4.

My full-size Storm has about the same recoil impulse as a m92 or p226 with the same ammo.

Duces Tecum
07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
No tendinitis here, but age-related arthritis is starting to become bothersome. The route I'm considering is minor caliber / major weight. The steel framed 5" 1911 in .45 acp generates 6.93 lbs of recoil, whereas the same gun in 9mm has only 2.88 lbs.

The OP asked about softly recoiling light pistols. Sadly, there might be only one pistol that combines reduced recoil with light weight. The 27 oz H&K USP(F) 9mm has incorporated, I've been told, a mechanical recoil reduction feature offering (again, hearsay) 33% efficiency. If that is indeed the case, felt recoil with this 1.69 lb pistol would be reduced from 4.24 lbs to 2.84 lbs, which is competitive with the steel 1911. George is thoroughly versed in H&Ks, and will have some useful observations.

References:
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/usp/

Leroy
07-06-2019, 07:19 PM
I think the P226 with a reduced power recoil spring (Wolff 12 or 13 pound variable on a Gray Guns guide rod) shooting 135 power factor 9 mm is the softest shooting 9 mm that does not weigh 40 ounces (probably 34 to 35 ounces). I find the P226 softer than a USP 9 which weighs around 27 ounces I believe.

KevH
07-06-2019, 07:26 PM
I already own a P226 (and a P228) and a Beretta 92, neither of which have really been out of the safe in a decade or so. Neither of them are particularly lightweight guns which is what lends to their light recoil. Of the two I always preferred the P226.

The USP Expert intrigues me because while it is a big gun it seems to be fairly lightweight, flat shooting and low recoiling.

I need to fix my arm, but I also need to shoot quite a bit in the coming months (although I often find myself instructing more than shooting once range days begin).

Bigghoss
07-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Someone here once said that a Glock 20 with a .40 barrel is a pretty easy shooting gun. My standard USP9 is not a soft shooting gun but I got it used and haven't replaced the recoil sping yet. I've never shot an expert.

GJM
07-06-2019, 07:31 PM
It is interesting the anecdotal reports of pain with a Glock, that got better with other pistols. My wife switched from a G34 to a 320 X5 a week or so ago, and subjectively felt like her elbow pain was diminishing despite shooting quite high round counts getting used to the Sig.

M2, my wife previously had elbow pain flying a Husky taildragger many hours, from fighting the spring in the trim system, keeping the stick back. No issue in a Cub without that Husky trim system. You are probably pulling to many G’s in your machine!

JodyH
07-06-2019, 10:26 PM
It is interesting the anecdotal reports of pain with a Glock, that got better with other pistols. My wife switched from a G34 to a 320 X5 a week or so ago, and subjectively felt like her elbow pain was diminishing despite shooting quite high round counts getting used to the Sig.
My guess it's more a matter of change than anything Glock or Sig specific.

"Doc my arm hurts when I bend it like this what should I do?"
"Stop bending it like that."

JodyH
07-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Might try a 9mm 2011.
That would be the softest shooting polymer framed pistol you could ever hope to find.
One of the 4" STI's like the Staccato C, VIP or Guardian (or DVC Carry if you want to throw some cash around).

Whirlwind06
07-07-2019, 06:29 AM
This fixed my elbow issues.

There is also a theory that gripping side to side, instead of front to back, causes elbow problems.I'm trying to picture what you mean. Are saying a push pull grip vs the 60/40 kind of grip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
07-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Ergonomics can be weird. On a bicycle, a couple mm adjustment can make a big difference. Shaving a fraction of a mm here or there off a revolver grip makes a big difference to how it feels in the hand. I can easily see the grip angle difference between a Glock and a Sig leading to differences in how muscles and joints do with high round counts. And of course people are all different, so there will be a dispersion of results across the population.

To the OP, picking up a P320 and working with it for awhile, if you can feel comfortable doing that given the situation, might be a decent option. I find both the P320/250 grip module and the classic models point very similarly, which is very different (and more natural for me) than a Glock. P250s can be had very inexpensively and don't have the baggage of the 320. The trigger cleans up to being very close to a good revolver DA trigger, although it still may be an issue for your tendonitis.

I haven't had serious problems, but have had good results cleaning up what issues I've had using the PT exercises linked by GJM. A lot of times, I start to feel the elbow even if I do a lot of DA dry fire with a polymer gun. It's obviously not the weight or the recoil; that leaves the trigger press and how I'm gripping the gun. I need to get to some top-level training.

M2CattleCo
07-07-2019, 01:31 PM

M2, my wife previously had elbow pain flying a Husky taildragger many hours, from fighting the spring in the trim system, keeping the stick back. No issue in a Cub without that Husky trim system. You are probably pulling to many G’s in your machine!

The one I fly has the stick too high and too close. Tears my elbow up. The one I flew last year had the flaps on the stick and was worse.

My standard turn is full aileron deflection out of the field, about 15 degrees of flaps, pull til I gray out, then ease the back pressure enough to see the ground on the way back down!

cornstalker
07-07-2019, 01:46 PM

I have to agree. I switched from Glock to Sig right before mine fired up. I also have been practicing the "C-clamp" grip as described by TPC. All front to back pressure. Now it's so fired up that everything makes it scream. Mountain biking, fishing, sleeping, BBQ'ing. I started the Chad Reilly program this morning and should have some night time braces in today.

I am not even sure the gun was the main source of the issue, but perhaps overuse in general.

JonInWA
07-07-2019, 03:19 PM
I'd recommend a P30/P30L; my experience has been with the P30L (and in .40); the L's slide weight and buffered RSA provide less, or more effectively dissipated recoil than in my Glock Gen4 G22, even with the Gen4's triple-nested RSA.

A VP40, with it's flatwire RSA and heavy slide works nicely, too.

Best, Jon

KevH
07-07-2019, 10:17 PM
I'd recommend a P30/P30L; my experience has been with the P30L (and in .40); the L's slide weight and buffered RSA provide less, or more effectively dissipated recoil than in my Glock Gen4 G22, even with the Gen4's triple-nested RSA.

A VP40, with it's flatwire RSA and heavy slide works nicely, too.

Best, Jon

Hi Jon. That was part of my logic with the USP Expert. Extra slide weight, match barrel, and buffered RSA. I always heard they were soft shooting and while they are big are not particularly heavy. My only USP experience has been with the USP 45 and it has been positive.

SW CQB 45
07-07-2019, 10:38 PM
tagged for interest. Both my primary elbow and wrist always cause me issues.

I threw a lot of footballs and baseballs as a kid. In the early 90s, it was time to head in for end of a night shift and a bunch of officers were refueling. Someone found a football and we started throwing "bombs". I recall my elbow started hurting then and was never the same.

I ran a 1911 with an 18.5# spring and my primary wrist was hurting fierce. Hilton Yam suggested I change out to a 16# spring and change it more often. My wrist pain somewhat diminished.

While I know the OP was not looking at 1911s, but my 9mm Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander and 147 Speer TMJs are some of the softest shooting I felt. Sometimes it feels like the pistol malfunctions because I dont feel recoil.

Along the same lines... if I go to the gym.... hit the weights first .... elbow hurts. If I row for 20 minutes first (warm it up), my elbow pain is minimal or non existent.

https://i.imgur.com/1HJjd8al.jpg

RevolverRob
07-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Might try a 9mm 2011.
That would be the softest shooting polymer framed pistol you could ever hope to find.
One of the 4" STI's like the Staccato C, VIP or Guardian (or DVC Carry if you want to throw some cash around).

Mine is very soft shooting in general. It doesn't exacerbate or cause flare ups of carpal tunnel for me.

For that matter, neither does an all steel 1911, but if you couldn't hold the weight up, that would be tough.

Greg Bell
07-07-2019, 11:26 PM
This crops up on me every once and a while. With me it is less the gun I am shooting and more my grip. I tend to lock the crap out of my grip, and yes more so with heavy calibers. Usually I just shoot a bit less and it goes away after a few weeks.

I also notice it crops up a lot more when I am practicing draws on a timer. I think it is a combination of the draw and the hard lock to get good split times.

ccmdfd
07-08-2019, 09:26 AM
From my perspective:

1. As a medical professional my first piece of advice is to go and see a medical professional. Bonus points if you can find one who is a shooter or is familiar with the shooting sports. But even if he/she isn't familiar, you can still get help, just be prepared to describe the actions, mechanics needed for shooting.

Getting medical advice off of the internet is about as great of an idea as getting legal advice, financial advice, relationship advice.....
(even with good intentions on everyone's part)

2. As a person who has had various injuries which have affected my shooting. Be prepared for the advice to be to take a break from shooting. Yeah it sucks but repeated pain, need for surgery, etc sucks much more. I've had to take vacations from shooting on more than one occasion.

3. The topic of "softest shooting..." has come up on this and various forums many many times since the advent of internet forums. You always end up getting the phone book (or perhaps more appropriate would be the blue book of guns). Everyone has a different opinion and the same gun will get completely different rankings by different people (USP has been given both good and bad grades already in this thread alone).
Problem is everyone interprets recoil differently. Furthermore, everyone's issues (tendons, muscles, etc) are affected differently.
Other things which need to be considered, as they can affect discomfort are grip size (too small and too large are both bad), trigger pull (TDA vs DAO vs SAO, etc), and others.

I know when I had my problems DA shooting would make things much worse. Thus DAO's were out. TDA's could be problematic if I were to shoot a lot of DA pulls, which of course is needed if you want to be proficient with the gun. But that's just one person's experience with one particular variable.

IIRC, when Todd G had his issues with arm/elbows after surgery, his choice was a 9mm 1911. Fairly light weight, SAO trigger with short and light pull, low recoil impulse.

You will probably need to do some experimentation to find out what combination works best for your particular issue.

Best of luck
cc

Bill
07-08-2019, 08:34 PM
I'm kinda surprised so many people recommended switching to various platforms without first recommending trying to compensate your current pistol(s). Why switch entirely when you could make a decent reduction in recoil using your current gear?

Of course, all the PT and medical advice notwithstanding.

I've dealt with years of tendon issues/trigger finger in both hands. Chronic pain issues suck. One silver lining can be that they force you to become really well acquainted with your body mechanics and technique in ways you might not otherwise.

theJanitor
07-09-2019, 01:35 PM
My tendinitis reappeared after maybe 10+ years, when I tried to learn the RMR on a glock. When I transitioned back to the 1911, it began to subside. This was last summer, and it's 95% gone

JonInWA
07-09-2019, 01:40 PM
My tendinitis reappeared after maybe 10+ years, when I tried to learn the RMR on a glock. When I transitioned back to the 1911, it began to subside. This was last summer, and it's 95% gone

And the REAL success was in getting your wife to buy that story, enabling you to purchase a 1911 significantly more expensive, likely by a factor of 2-3 time over that of your Glock...

Best, Jon

theJanitor
07-09-2019, 01:45 PM
And the REAL success was in getting your wife to buy that story, enabling you to purchase a 1911 significantly more expensive, likely by a factor of 2-3 time over that of your Glock...

Best, Jon

Ha! the glock/rmr was a detour. I've got lots of 1911's to go 'round. But, I did convince her this weekend that I needed to buy back a Yost from a buddy, that I let go ten years ago

JAD
07-09-2019, 01:45 PM
I'm kinda surprised so many people recommended switching to various platforms without first recommending trying to compensate your current pistol(s). Why switch entirely when you could make a decent reduction in recoil using your current gear?.

Compensation reduces muzzle flip, not recoil.

JonInWA
07-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Ha! the glock/rmr was a detour. I've got lots of 1911's to go 'round. But, I did convince her this weekend that I needed to buy back a Yost from a buddy, that I let go ten years ago

Clearly I (and probably of one or two others of us) need to be apprentices to you in the family dynamics in gun acquisition process......

Best, Jon

paherne
07-09-2019, 03:27 PM
I'd rock the B92 with a spring change. D-Spring and maybe one of the Wilson spring kits. I assume you're shooting 147 grain for your Agency. If it's a +p, see if you can get standard pressure FMJs or some of the very mild 115 grain ball loads, just for you, as an ADA accommodation.

Also, I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV and I did not stay at a Holiday Express last night, but my wife and son seem to benefit from Curcumin/Turmeric that I get from Costco. He has Osgood -Schlatter in his right knee and is a high school offensive lineman. The wife is an RN who has tennis elbow from rolling and moving patients. I buy Youtheory 1000 mg/capsule turmeric in the square bottle with orange label. It has black pepper to enhance bio-availability. My back knows the next day when I forget to take it the night before.

The lacrosse ball deal is a good one. My daughter rolls out my wife's arm and it hurts like heck when she's doing it, but it helps move everything around and get blood flow to the area.

Jim Watson
07-09-2019, 09:48 PM
I am surprised nobody has recommended an off side holster.
Shoot with the other hand.

KevH
07-09-2019, 11:08 PM
I made an appointment with an orthopedist for week after next. We will see what happens!

Thanks for the input everyone.

TheNewbie
07-10-2019, 01:40 AM
Will the USP Expert fit USP holsters?

KevH
07-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Will the USP Expert fit USP holsters?

Not the Safariland ones. USP is a "93" and the USP Expert is a "96" to accommodate the longer muzzle.

JoeSixPack
07-12-2019, 06:45 PM
KevH, hope you get diagnosed and find relief. It will certainly be interesting to hear the Orthopod's recommendations. For me, this thread has already been a game changer, but I already knew what I had and what brought it on. I've been doing the Chad Reilly regimen linked by David S. for 7 days now, and have a significant improvement in every day tasks that have bothered me for a year and a half. I haven't been shooting yet, but it's been well worth getting up a half hour earlier to do the routine along with some back stretches, exercises and lifts. I'm also pretty intrigued by the Theraband Flexbar mentioned by GJM and vsdtrek and plan to get green and blue ones to keep at work for those days when it doesn't work out to do it at home. I'll probably use them to add to the session and rep count as well. As an added benefit, you could probably clear an office pretty quick by whipping one out. :cool: Thanks to all for the links & suggestions.
Best regards,
JSP

theJanitor
07-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all for the links & suggestions.
Best regards,
JSP

The Theraband was a great help for me

MGW
07-13-2019, 08:34 AM
I never really thought about it but I had pretty bad tendinitis in my left elbow. I’ve spent most of the last year shooting a steel 1911 in 45. Before that I was mostly shooting Glock 17’s with a short detour with a Centurion. I don’t remember the last time my elbow acted up.

Maybe there is something about shooting Glocks that’s hard on elbow tendons.

Rock185
07-14-2019, 11:15 PM
I had a 9MM USP Expert. Much of the weight of that gun is in the slide. The USP slide weighs significantly more than most 9MM pistol slides. For instance, the USP slide weighed 14.5 Oz., the slide of my SIG X-5; 11.9 Oz. I suspect that slide mass and recoil spring assembly resulted in what felt like moderate recoil to me, even with some of the most energetic ammo, +P+,etc. I don't know if the USP expert would help your tendinitis, but in any case, they are excellent pistols. Mine was as accurate as any pistol I've owned, literally 100% reliable, and had a clean breaking 4# SA trigger. The Only reason I don't still have the HK Expert, is the USP grip and my hand were a mismatch. Not a thing wrong with the gun. Maybe I should have had my hand surgically altered to fit the pistol;)

txdpd
07-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Not the Safariland ones. USP is a "93" and the USP Expert is a "96" to accommodate the longer muzzle.

Let me know if you want a blue flex bar and some broccoli rubber bands. Flexbars never did much to help my tennis elbow. Broccoli bands are the best bang for the buck extensor bands.

Armaids and Rolflex make an excellent product. Armaids is more arm specific, Rolflex is good enough on arms and also good for calves.

Voodoo floss has offered a lot of short term relief.

Sport grips sidewinder has done a lot to help my elbows. My wrist extensors were so weak compared to my flexors it wasn’t funny. I get that it’s essentially the same movement as a flex bar but it’s about a 1:10 time ratio on work.

One other thing I’ve been working on is not squeezing the bejesus out of the steering wheel when I drive. Didn’t realize I was doing it until recently but not doing it has helped my post workout grip recovery tremendously.

Irelander
07-15-2019, 12:23 PM

This is what fixed my elbow pain. Still do it to keep things in order so it doesn't flare up again.

OlongJohnson
07-15-2019, 12:53 PM
One other thing I’ve been working on is not squeezing the bejesus out of the steering wheel when I drive.

I've coached guys about that on the racetrack. You can literally feel it from the passenger seat in the way the car moves when they start gripping the wheel too hard again. Makes it really difficult for the steering to tell you what the tire contact patches are doing.

Olim9
07-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Ditto on the rec on the PX4’s. Took a first time shooter to the range a while back who had arthritis. The Glock 19 wasn’t as comfortable as a PX4 Compact and he was able to shoot +150 rounds through a 92 comfortably.

spinmove_
07-15-2019, 02:33 PM
I’ve personally found that metal framed guns are nicer to shoot that polymer framed guns. I’ve also personally found that guns that better conform to my hands even better to shoot. I reckon the 1911 (or probably even 2011) is so popular is because it combines both of those things very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevH
07-27-2019, 04:46 PM
So I went to the doctor (orthopedist) this Thursday and after imaging and a bit of poking and prodding here is the diagnosis...

https://i.imgur.com/P9HmmQXl.jpg

aka Tennis Elbow

I was prescribed physical therapy.

In the meantime, with lot of shooting at work rapidly approaching (a month away), I'm ordering a Colt Competition Government chambered in 9mm to take the place of my normal customized 45 ACP. Hopefully that will allow me to shoot and help mitigate some of the pain.