07-05-2019, 01:21 PM
That’s it, they sell everything now.

https://amzn.to/2JgkK4D

BehindBlueI's
07-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Reviews are... suboptimal.

blues
07-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Just get a refrigerator carton and get on with your life.

Norville
07-05-2019, 01:45 PM
And getting glowing reviews. Or maybe commentary as no one bought one yet.

MGW
07-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Free shipping. Some assembly required.

runcible
07-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Not eligible for Amazon Prime? Deal-breaker.

Stephanie B
07-05-2019, 02:24 PM
That’s it, they sell everything now.

https://amzn.to/2JgkK4D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffs4gSJjjV4

Anyway, they can''t touch Sears of a century ago until they start selling mail-order guns and cartridges.

RJ
07-05-2019, 02:35 PM
The ‘Tiny House’ craze is amusing. I lived in a 240 ft sq home for almost 2 years extended travel, so I can relate.

I really wish they’d do a ‘six month follow up’ to all the starry-eyed, plaid wearing, beard-oiling millennials who seem so enamoured of Tiny House Living. That way, they could address questions like:

How did you move it?

Where did you site it?

How did you power it?

What did you do with your sewage?

blues
07-05-2019, 02:46 PM
One can only dream of moving up to (one or more) shipping containers...

https://icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/bard-college-media-lab-credit-matthew-carbone-720x720.jpg

Joe in PNG
07-05-2019, 02:50 PM
My million dollar idea is to put a motor, lights, and other street legal kit on a tiny house so one could drive it, and see the country.
One could also have a trailer hitch so it could be towed behind a normal vehicle.

blues
07-05-2019, 02:52 PM
My million dollar idea is to put a motor, lights, and other street legal kit on a tiny house so one could drive it, and see the country.
One could also have a trailer hitch so it could be towed behind a normal vehicle.

Bah! It'll never catch on.

RJ
07-05-2019, 03:13 PM

I think you might be onto something here...

Stephanie B
07-05-2019, 03:18 PM

It's been done (https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/tumbleweed-models/elm/).

txdpd
07-05-2019, 03:27 PM

A 53' high cube can be had for around $1500 (a whole lot less for cash with no questions asked), delivery on an intermodal and HD/rotating wrecker at delivery and the basic structure can be had for ~$2500 a can. I feel bad for someone dropping $7,500 on a wood frame tiny house.

Totem Polar
07-05-2019, 03:30 PM
A high school kid I know in town here did a flatbed trailer version for his senior project. Now he has a 2nd home.

Wondering Beard
07-05-2019, 03:38 PM

https://icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/bard-college-media-lab-credit-matthew-carbone-720x720.jpg

At least I could stand up straight in one of those; tiny house, not so much.

Joe in PNG
07-05-2019, 04:11 PM
So singlewide trailers are basically avant-garde then?

SeriousStudent
07-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Sweet baby Harambe, I built a bigger house for my GSD out on the back patio.

I did not claw my way up the occupational food chain to live in an oversized laundry room.

MGW
07-05-2019, 07:36 PM

I stayed in what was basically a three room shipping container in Iraq for awhile. Wasn't so bad. As long as the power didn't go out. They get hot in a hurry if the window AC unit isn't working.

Doug
07-05-2019, 09:49 PM
I would rather have a warehouse I could put my tiny house in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Uno
07-06-2019, 03:47 AM
Sweet baby Harambe, I built a bigger house for my GSD out on the back patio.

I did not claw my way up the occupational food chain to live in an oversized laundry room.

Priorities, brotha.

This tiny home thing cracks me up because I build homes for a living. Are they (meaning you’re not going to die if you live there) functional? Sure. I mean, homeless people don’t die either. But it’s not “the same as a big house only smaller”. All our modern commodities demand a certain amount of sq ft.

That said, my home (which I built) is a fairly modest not-quite 2000 ft2. Wife and I both agree that once our son is out we’re going smaller. As a man, all I need is a nominal kitchen, toilet, and 40x30 detached garage. If a mini-kitchen and shitter were in the garage I don’t really even need a house.

My lovely bride may have other ideas about what we need.

0ddl0t
07-06-2019, 04:17 AM
Shoot, might as well go long haul trucking and get paid to live in your no plumbing tiny house.

ralph
07-06-2019, 11:11 AM
I always seen this tiny house thing as a fad..some enviro weenie buy/builds one of these things, convinced he's doing his bit to save the planet, and have a smaller carbon footprint..This works until he moves his GF in with him, and they're clammed up in there for the winter, and start getting on each others nerves.. It would be interesting to see how many of these tiny home people are actually still living in their tiny house, in 5, 10 years from now..

BehindBlueI's
07-06-2019, 11:16 AM
.This works until he moves his GF in with him, and they're clammed up in there for the winter, and start getting on each others nerves..

Or someone gets some bad sushi and has the screaming banshee shits for a few days.

ralph
07-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Or someone gets some bad sushi and has the screaming banshee shits for a few days.

Yup, and the enviro toliet can't keep up...

beenalongtime
07-06-2019, 11:49 AM
To me, three boys started this craze and this is the one that sticks with me.

ralph
07-06-2019, 12:30 PM
To me, three boys started this craze and this is the one that sticks with me.

That looks like it'd be thrill ride on a windy day...I understand the concept of going up, when buliding in confined spaces, that however, is stretching it a bit...

blues
07-06-2019, 12:40 PM
That looks like it'd be thrill ride on a windy day...I understand the concept of going up, when buliding in confined spaces, that however, is stretching it a bit...

"Everybody's gone surfin', surfin' USA..."

beenalongtime
07-06-2019, 12:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7g08nwEmyY

One of the funniest things I have watched.

SeriousStudent
07-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Priorities, brotha.

This tiny home thing cracks me up because I build homes for a living. Are they (meaning you’re not going to die if you live there) functional? Sure. I mean, homeless people don’t die either. But it’s not “the same as a big house only smaller”. All our modern commodities demand a certain amount of sq ft.

That said, my home (which I built) is a fairly modest not-quite 2000 ft2. Wife and I both agree that once our son is out we’re going smaller. As a man, all I need is a nominal kitchen, toilet, and 40x30 detached garage. If a mini-kitchen and shitter were in the garage I don’t really even need a house.

My lovely bride may have other ideas about what we need.

Indeed. My needs are small, and my priorities simple.

A bar with four sets of shelves, a fireplace and couches. A library with room for a few thousand books. A gun room to hold all the knick-knacks. A guest room for out-of-town shooting class visitors. A home office from which I supervise my vast army of nerds/droids/minions.

Very modest surroundings, honestly. Dagga Boy once remarked that I have a man house, rather than a man cave. He was correct.

JAD
07-06-2019, 01:30 PM
I would be very happy living completely out of a suitcase, were it not for my family. That helps me have the right attitude about the house I live in — that it’s for other people, and everything about it except my dressing room is there for other people’s needs.

SeriousStudent
07-06-2019, 01:41 PM
I would be very happy living completely out of a suitcase, were it not for my family. That helps me have the right attitude about the house I live in — that it’s for other people, and everything about it except my dressing room is there for other people’s needs.

I lived out of a sea bag for about 6 years, it's basically the same thing. Except we shared our dressing room with 60 of our closest friends. :cool:

Joe in PNG
07-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Amps and bass guitars take up a lot of space.

Hambo
07-06-2019, 03:42 PM
As a man, all I need is a nominal kitchen, toilet, and 40x30 detached garage. If a mini-kitchen and shitter were in the garage I don’t really even need a house.

As a man, all I need is the garage with a functional bathroom and three bays.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
I currently live in what I'd call a "fairly small house". The footprint is 500 square feet and the upstairs is about 2/3 of the footprint and is just a bedroom so it's pretty small, although obviously nowhere near as small as these places.

And I wouldn't want to go any smaller. I am always kind of interested in efficient use of space but what I find is that I can't stand having to move one thing to do another thing. All of these tiny house designs seem to require the owners to do stuff like fold up their bed to cook food, or wash every dish and put it away in order to sit down. That kind of thing would drive me insane.

I can understand van living because you get the benefit of being super mobile. But the only way the tiny house thing makes sense to me is as a guest cabin or something. But for the money, I'd just build my own.

LJP
07-08-2019, 10:54 AM
If I wanted ridiculously a small living space, I would buy a boat... but that’s not nearly as cheap, and comes with its own set of problems that I am (thankfully) relatively ignorant of.

txdpd
07-08-2019, 11:03 AM
And I wouldn't want to go any smaller. I am always kind of interested in efficient use of space but what I find is that I can't stand having to move one thing to do another thing. All of these tiny house designs seem to require the owners to do stuff like fold up their bed to cook food, or wash every dish and put it away in order to sit down. That kind of thing would drive me insane.

When I lived in a 300 sq-ft garage apartment I quickly found that cooking anything with fat would result in oily residue on everything. Cooking anything in the summer or showering would send the humidity through the ceiling. The lack of space means no environment to buffer changes.

The folding bed to cook would be annoying, but a film of bacon grease is much is much worse.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-08-2019, 04:03 PM
When I lived in a 300 sq-ft garage apartment I quickly found that cooking anything with fat would result in oily residue on everything. Cooking anything in the summer or showering would send the humidity through the ceiling. The lack of space means no environment to buffer changes.

The folding bed to cook would be annoying, but a film of bacon grease is much is much worse.

Boy that's something I bet nobody thinks of until it's too late.

I spent a summer once living under a tarp held up on one side by a motorcycle and I was covered in oily residue myself, but that was never intended to be an actual realistic living situation.

RJ
07-08-2019, 04:07 PM

This is familiar to anyone who lives in an RV for months on end.

It is a subtle benefit to an Airstream travel trailer to discover that the inside is also clad in the same Aluminum sheeting as on the outside. Makes cleaning very much easier.

But yeah, cooking odors tend to hang around in small spaces longer than that uninvited Brother-in-Law who stays past the weekend and and simply won't take a hint it's time to leave.

txdpd
07-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Speak of the devil went to a call today where a truck ran into a parked sea can on a chassis and knocked it over. Took two heavy duties to pull it up right (one to counter the load shift) but the can itself was fine. There aren’t any stick framed houses that can be attached to some ground anchors and with stand a hurricane, or get hit by a truck and be structurally sound