PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Glock 19

UNK
04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
What does a person need to look for on a Glock 19 to ensure they are getting a reliable pistol? In Gen 3 is it before a certain date/serial number range? If so what are the identifications? Correct me if I am wrong but I assume that right now Gen 4's are still not considered absolutely reliable. If I am wrong please tell me what I need to look for.

lamarbrog
04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
I personally have not begun to trust Gen 4, yet. I am almost to that point.

My personal Glock 19 is one of the "problem Glocks" that has not had a problem. Sure, I got a few rounds back at my face, but after a few hundred rounds it seems to have mostly stopped doing that. In 550 rounds I have had one stoppage which was caused by a very deformed cartridge.

The rentals at the range I work at are "problem Glocks". They have lasted long past a reasonable round count with no chronic issues. I have noticed that the rental Glock 19 does have fairly rearward ejection.

We sell a ton of Glocks, many of which have been Gen4 or "problem" Gen3s. I am actually only aware of one that has been brought back to us with problems. Now, there could be more that people have chosen to fix themselves, or have not shot enough to discover issues, but the fact that it is not widespread among the Glocks we have sold leads me to believe that this is a fairly uncommon issue that has been made larger than it really is by 1) the internet, 2) the reputation of Glock to be 100% reliable.

Just my $.02.

UNK
04-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I personally have not begun to trust Gen 4, yet. I am almost to that point.

My personal Glock 19 is one of the "problem Glocks" that has not had a problem. Sure, I got a few rounds back at my face, but after a few hundred rounds it seems to have mostly stopped doing that. In 550 rounds I have had one stoppage which was caused by a very deformed cartridge.

The rentals at the range I work at are "problem Glocks". They have lasted long past a reasonable round count with no chronic issues. I have noticed that the rental Glock 19 does have fairly rearward ejection.

We sell a ton of Glocks, many of which have been Gen4 or "problem" Gen3s. I am actually only aware of one that has been brought back to us with problems. Now, there could be more that people have chosen to fix themselves, or have not shot enough to discover issues, but the fact that it is not widespread among the Glocks we have sold leads me to believe that this is a fairly uncommon issue that has been made larger than it really is by 1) the internet, 2) the reputation of Glock to be 100% reliable.

Just my $.02.

But that won't be an acceptable explanation if my sister's first pistol has problems. The problem is pretty well documented, I am trying to decrease the potential of her having a problem gun. It has been posted here that the problems don't typically show up until after a couple of thousand rounds. Your reply is not helpful.

secondstoryguy
04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
There are several threads with info on this topic. I would say, with the odd exception, anything before 2008 made by Glock is GTG. The problems started in early 2009 and increased in 2010. If your not running a light the old second and even first gens are a good deal.

JHC
04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I would first look for the latest editions with the updated ejector mentioned on all the Glock threads. But OTOH, my range buddy this morning put first rounds out today through a Gen 3 with the older ejector; bought new at a local high volume shop. It ran it's first few hundred rounds as well as any Glock.

Updated ejector seems to me to be the easiest fastest way to screen out the most suspect "era".

UNK
04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
There are several threads with info on this topic. I would say, with the odd exception, anything before 2008 made by Glock is GTG. The problems started in early 2009 and increased in 2010. If your not running a light the old second and even first gens are a good deal.
I dont have a glock so how do I know when they are made? I am assuming it will be identified by the serial number but I don't know they run. I think a light option is desirable.
I wouldn't mind reading a thread on the subject to get the info but my search powers are weak.

Failure2Stop
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I can't give you an exact date range, but here is what I can say:

I have not seen an issue with Gen 3 Glocks manufactured through 2009.
My 19 falls in that range (2007 or 2008, can't remember), and I have had no issues over about 20,000 rounds. Dates could be slightly off as they were relayed to me by their owners, and they were not all sure of their dates of manufacture.

My Gen4 G17 (test fire date of Jan 2012) has had no issues with about 3,000 rounds through it.

Long tom coffin
04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I dont have a glock so how do I know when they are made? I am assuming it will be identified by the serial number but I don't know they run. I think a light option is desirable.
I wouldn't mind reading a thread on the subject to get the info but my search powers are weak.

Well,if you are only trying to match serial numbers with dates, the "Glock Serial Number Project" would be good for that. Just punch that into google. The current thinking is that anything after 2010 in the Gen 3 and Gen 4 generations is in the "possibly problematic" time frame.

You could avoid this entirely by purchasing a used glock (usually an LE Trade in) from any of the reputable online sellers. There have been several threads on here recently about an online site called Aim Surplus that has recently been selling LE trade in Gen 2 19's. I and several members of this forum have purchased some of those and been quite happy with them.

UNK
04-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Well,if you are only trying to match serial numbers with dates, the "Glock Serial Number Project" would be good for that. Just punch that into google. The current thinking is that anything after 2010 in the Gen 3 and Gen 4 generations is in the "possibly problematic" time frame.

You could avoid this entirely by purchasing a used glock (usually an LE Trade in) from any of the reputable online sellers. There have been several threads on here recently about an online site called Aim Surplus that has recently been selling LE trade in Gen 2 19's. I and several members of this forum have purchased some of those and been quite happy with them.
You are talking about the thread started by LL? Tose are sold out and are gen 2. I am looking for gen three. Thanks for the info I will look it up.

Gray222
04-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I have a RCY serial numbered gen4 g19.

Probably around over 5k (dunno exactly how many) in it and only had one stovepipe which I called due to a limp wrist, never happened again.

edit: yes I know there is a spring weight issue, since it has never happened before, and has not since, I am calling it a limp wrist, which I called when I fired the shot.

joshs
04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
My Gen4 G17 (test fire date of Jan 2012) has had no issues with about 3,000 rounds through it.

Based on my experience and observing a couple of other 9mm Gen4s, your round count is venturing into the zone of danger.

GJM
04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Is this danger zone with the original ejector or the new five digit ejector?

JV_
04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Is this danger zone with the original ejector or the new five digit ejector?
IME: Both.

orionz06
04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Based on my experience and observing a couple of other 9mm Gen4s, your round count is venturing into the zone of danger.

:startslowclap:

Agree though on the round count, I know of two accounts that were near flawless until ~3,500 and then they shit the bed.

UNK
04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I saw a poll at another forum. I think it was 30 of users said they were having problems with 9mm glocks

Failure2Stop
04-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Damnit.
Same thing with my P30.

Guess I'll just preemptively swap the extractor. Is the date of manufacture (test fire) showing any improvement as it gets closer to the present?

Apparently firearm manufacturers are keying in on how many rounds most testing requires.

joshs
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Damnit.
Same thing with my P30.

Guess I'll just preemptively swap the extractor. Is the date of manufacture (test fire) showing any improvement as it gets closer to the present?

Apparently firearm manufacturers are keying in on how many rounds most testing requires.

I wouldn't change anything if it is currently reliable. Perhaps you just got one that actually works.

EVP
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Damnit.
Same thing with my P30.

Faliure2Stop, just wondering what issues you are referencing to with the p30?

EMC
04-02-2012, 11:52 AM

So I've heard many times that the zone of danger for gen 4's has been 2000-2500 rounds. Is there a truly repeatable round count for seemingly fine gen4's or is it all just individually subjective?

JV_
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
So I've heard many times that the zone of danger for gen 4's has been 2000-2500 rounds. Is there a truly repeatable round count for seemingly fine gen4's or is it all just individually subjective?

2 of my Gen4 19s had issues between 4000 and 5000.

EMC
04-02-2012, 12:01 PM
2 of my Gen4 19s had issues between 4000 and 5000.

This is the third set of round count ranges I've now heard about. So really the zone of danger could be anywhere between 2000 and 5000 rounds. Best practice would then appear to be "test fire often". If I had a free source of ammo, I would happily push mine into that range for the benefit of testing a Feb 2012 Gen 4.

JHC
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Individual gun thing. Our five at at 570, 2400, 3K, 4K, 9.5K, with no collapses yet of good function.

Mitchell, Esq.
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
This is the third set of round count ranges I've now heard about. So really the zone of danger could be anywhere between 2000 and 5000 rounds. Best practice would then appear to be "test fire often". If I had a free source of ammo, I would happily push mine into that range for the benefit of testing a Feb 2012 Gen 4.

It's this kind of thing that puts me off for the possibility of buying a new Glock.

At 5K rounds the gun should be a know qualtity.

Assuming ammo is $150/1000 rounds, you need to spend about $900 just to proof the gun and that is not acceptable in any way shape or form.

I'd really rather just say to hell with it and start with something else, and go throught the trouble of learining a new weapon than have this kind of question hanging about.

H&K is starting to look really good for the money right now.

lamarbrog
04-02-2012, 12:19 PM
But that won't be an acceptable explanation if my sister's first pistol has problems. The problem is pretty well documented, I am trying to decrease the potential of her having a problem gun. It has been posted here that the problems don't typically show up until after a couple of thousand rounds. Your reply is not helpful.

Great learning opportunity for her. Machines fail, pistols fail, even Glocks. She can see what a malfunction looks like and learn how to correct it. If she practices with any regularity, it won't be the first she sees. The problem is pretty well documented, but out of dozens of late Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks I have personally sold none of them have come back. The shop as a whole, which has sold hundreds, has had one returned to us for having problems. That's a very small failure rate.

If you don't trust a Glock, get a H&K. Aside from that, it has been posted EVERWHERE that a Pre-2010 Glock should not have any real potential for issues. Just as these problems are well documented online, the solution is also well documented online.

I'm out of this thread. You've burned this bridge.

JV_
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
but out of dozens of late Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks I have personally sold none of them have come back. The shop as a whole, which has sold hundreds, has had one returned to us for having problems. That's a very small failure rate.Do you have additional data points, ones that you're not sharing, which support your failure rate claim?

How many of those guns went back to the MFR without going through your shop? I know plenty of people that dealt directly with Glock on their issues, and bypassed their local shop, until it was trade-in time.

How many of those guns have a round counts that exceeds 1000 rounds?
How many of the shooters track malfunctions?
How many of the owners know that a malfunction every other box is not acceptable?

lamarbrog
04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Do you have additional data points, ones that you're not sharing, which support your failure rate claim?

How many of those guns went back to the MFR without going through your shop? I know plenty of people that dealt directly with Glock on their issues, and bypassed their local shop, until it was trade-in time.

How many of those guns have a round counts that exceeds 1000 rounds?
How many of the shooters track malfunctions?
How many of the owners know that a malfunction every other box is not acceptable?

All are valid points. We emphasize that any problem guns should be returned to us if at all possible, and that we will cover all repairs and/or warranty work for the customer. I like to think that the majority of pistols with problems do make it back to us, although there is no way of knowing this obviously.

Considering that our shop is also the shooting range, we get to see a lot of pistols actually being shot. If something has chronic issues, we take note of it, and it is not uncommon for us to ask the shooter if it was a pistol purchased from us. as to specific round counts, again, there is no way of knowing. We do have regular IDPA matches, and many of those shooters use Glock pistols purchased from us. They definitely see a round count exceeding 1000 rounds.

I am not going to say the issues don't exist. I think they are just very exaggerated. The fact that a moderately large store can have only one pistol out of hundreds come back says to me that the issue is not as widespread as folks online will have you believe.

JHC
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
It's this kind of thing that puts me off for the possibility of buying a new Glock.

At 5K rounds the gun should be a know qualtity.

Assuming ammo is $150/1000 rounds, you need to spend about $900 just to proof the gun and that is not acceptable in any way shape or form.

I'd really rather just say to hell with it and start with something else, and go throught the trouble of learining a new weapon than have this kind of question hanging about.

H&K is starting to look really good for the money right now.

I've not found a 500 round test to backfire on me yet. Every gun has the potential for being the next trigger pull away from locking up tight. I hear what the guys are saying about how your NEVER safe with a Glock anymore and I hear their reasons for saying so; but I just choose to believe my own lying eyes and lots of guns and a ton of ammo and since I'm the most "vetted" shooter I personally know ;) I don't sweat it.

JeffJ
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Every gun has the potential for being the next trigger pull away from locking up tight.

This - now the gen4s have some known problems and they are showing up at different times for different shooters. The new extractor and the white sound HRED seem to be about a 90% fix. Guns are just like anything else mechanical, they break and sometimes you get a lemon.

I think that you're setting yourself up for disapointment when you start to believe that Glock's slogan applies to any manufacturer whether that's HK or Glock, S&W, Bersa (there's a guy in my office that claims to have 18,000 rounds through a bersa without any problems) or anyone. All you can do is shoot the gun and base your expectations on what it's done for you so far realizing that the next trigger pull might click instead of bang.

JHC
04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
All are valid points. We emphasize that any problem guns should be returned to us if at all possible, and that we will cover all repairs and/or warranty work for the customer. I like to think that the majority of pistols with problems do make it back to us, although there is no way of knowing this obviously.

Considering that our shop is also the shooting range, we get to see a lot of pistols actually being shot. If something has chronic issues, we take note of it, and it is not uncommon for us to ask the shooter if it was a pistol purchased from us. as to specific round counts, again, there is no way of knowing. We do have regular IDPA matches, and many of those shooters use Glock pistols purchased from us. They definitely see a round count exceeding 1000 rounds.

I am not going to say the issues don't exist. I think they are just very exaggerated. The fact that a moderately large store can have only one pistol out of hundreds come back says to me that the issue is not as widespread as folks online will have you believe.

My friend I was shooting with Sunday just finished a 6 month gig training up security contractors for security posts OCONUS. Their equipment was rigidly specified in the contract. Colt 6920 carbines and Gen 3 G19s. They had no budget for maintenance. Those guns got cycled through multiple classes, "lots" of rounds (I'll try to find out a number on that) but with the demanding pistol standards from this which we were shooting Sunday, it must have been ample. And not a lick of problems with either platform.

None of that intended to imply Glocks haven't had a variety of issues these past few years and may still be experiencing for all I know.