PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Touch the Magic: 4TM

Clark Jackson
06-23-2019, 11:13 PM
A few weeks ago there was a thread about a Recoil web article concerning Airborne SWAT (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36121-Jump-qualified-SWAT-team-Why”). It was a pretty interesting thread (well, the topic was at least) and I drafted a response. Unfortunately, the thread de-railed and was closed before I could post.

Around the same time as that thread, ASH556 started a thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36725-What-was-your-quot-aha-quot-or-breakthrough-moment) where I posted something that started a great conversation between myself and a few other P-F members.

These two threads motivated me to do this post because someone needs to say it – again probably – and try to help the general consciousness of the training world. I hope this post hits some people hard – if they do an honest self-evaluation – and that it leads to positive changes for them.

So, let’s talk about “Trying to Touch the Magic” or “4TM” for short.

4TM is a concept best described as people doing whatever they can to touch the magic of whatever they see as magical. Usually, the “whatever they can do” = easiest path that maximizes the mental and physical obfuscation of the 4TMers reality both to themselves and others. Often, “whatever they can do” is superficial and paid for with money versus investment of other resources, but there are some exceptions to this generalization.

4TM involves the apotheosis of an individual, organization, business, and/or technique to the point no differing thought is tolerated – or even entertained in the good-faith interest of continuing education – regardless of facts, knowledge, and experience of the person or organization proffering the differing information.

4TMers never really achieve (or touch) the thing (or magic) they want – at least not completely – which is why it’s called “Trying to Touch the Magic” and not “Touching the Magic.” 4TMers know they cannot be the magic, but want you and everyone else to believe they are. Confronting a suspected 4TMer with hard questions and truth – even if directed at their brand of magic and not them – is a pretty good way to ferret them out. You’ll know if their individual or org is full 4TM because they will get angry and emotionally defend factually indefensible positions in support of their ego. They will do whatever they can to maintain the façade and prolong the fantasy.

Many people who are 4TM congregate together. These individuals usually have fixed mindsets and are all-to-eager to muddy the waters or blur the lines of who they really are and what they really do. This is most obvious in the LE/MIL world, but there are civilians out there who do the same especially if they make their living in the training industry.

4TMers create a cult of personality within the training world regardless of whether they are working in concert or not. 4TMers create a hive-mind around whatever brand of magic they are after. And it is possible for multiple 4TMers to exist and chase multiple areas simultaneously. For example: competition (gamer) shooters vs. self-defense/”tactical” (timmy) shooters; this instructor vs. that instructor; Civilian vs. MIL vs. LE instructor; this drill vs that drill; this qual vs. that qual; 9mm vs. 45; handheld light vs WML; tritium sights vs. FO/non-night sights; this training camp vs. that training camp; etc.

4TM accurately describes those doing silly things they think are serious things which lead them down dangerous roads they are ill-equipped to safely traverse. When told this they lash out and are unwilling to consider a divergent view point because of ego, emotional investment, cognitive dissonance or a combination thereof. Mental agility is not always the 4TMer's strength.

4TM is almost a form of Dunning-Kruger Effect, but it is contagious and induces cult-like behavior from the infected. It’s so insidious people who don’t have it can be convinced they need it in order to better themselves.

If you doubt 4TM is a real issue just take a minute to look around the training industry/world through the prism of social media. While you’re looking you’ll probably get some ads that pop up. Entire businesses are built and rely upon 4TM to survive and thrive. FYI: it isn’t just the “multicam plate carrier camp kids” that I’m talking about nor are they the only people 4TMing it out there.

To level up, shooters can't accept or discard something simply because of who is presenting the information. Deriding something before considering the information at hand simply because of who is presenting it is no less ignorant than accepting information without question because of who is presenting it.

Within reason, the who providing information should not matter, but the who can provide some context and should further assist the consumer of knowledge in forming pertinent questions.

If someone is demonstrably incompetent to provide information (or even an educated opinion) the who is obviously important, but it should not be the single criteria for evaluating the veracity of the information presented. Rather, the who can be a useful discriminator in a personal decision matrix.

When I say the who should matter less than the what I say so with the implied understanding the individual deciding to accept, adapt, or discard the information offered must utilize some intellectual agility and avoid the easy (read: lazy) way out.

Instead of immediately accepting or dismissing the information because the person who gave it wears multicam, a sponsored shooter jersey, or a blue-line American flag patch maybe look at the information with an open mind, ask hard questions (of yourself included), and maybe (in the case of shooting drills, training, etc.) you try it at your next range session before making decisions or providing opinions which are prematurely formed and foolishly shared.

The major wrinkle in this “4TM” disorder is best summarized by Mike Pannone who has said: “The magic is there is no magic.”

I know Mike was talking about shooting performance, but it is applicable to a lot of other cool stuff in life as well.

The point to all of this post: too much 4TM in the training world and not enough people/groups are trying to reach their full potential - either as an individual or organization - the right way vs chasing magical totems, personas, rituals, or mantras they just can’t quite seem to touch.

rcbusmc24
06-24-2019, 09:23 PM
As a guy with personal interest in two gun shops and multiple friends trying to make a living in the gun and gear world.... I need you to do your part to keep "fantasy band campism" alive and well as we all got's extra inventory to sell....

There is truth there though, but thats no fun....

Always remember.... The gun and gear industry is a industry, same as any other and it really wants to sell you more stuff. Just like Walmart does.

As I recall Pat Rogers was fond of calling it " classtumes" when dudes showed up in full multicam regalia for a basic pistol or carbine course...

Gray01
06-24-2019, 09:36 PM
The EDC kit industry would go belly up if avoiding dangerous/stupid places and dangerous/stupid people was the normative practice.

LittleLebowski
06-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Bravo.

JHC
06-25-2019, 06:06 AM
A few weeks ago there was a thread about a Recoil web article concerning Airborne SWAT (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36121-Jump-qualified-SWAT-team-Why”). It was a pretty interesting thread (well, the topic was at least) and I drafted a response. Unfortunately, the thread de-railed and was closed before I could post.

Around the same time as that thread, ASH556 started a thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36725-What-was-your-quot-aha-quot-or-breakthrough-moment) where I posted something that started a great conversation between myself and a few other P-F members.

These two threads motivated me to do this post because someone needs to say it – again probably – and try to help the general consciousness of the training world. I hope this post hits some people hard – if they do an honest self-evaluation – and that it leads to positive changes for them.

4TM is a concept best described as people doing whatever they can to touch the magic of whatever they see as magical. Usually, the “whatever they can do” = easiest path that maximizes the mental and physical obfuscation of the 4TMers reality both to themselves and others. Often, “whatever they can do” is superficial and paid for with money versus investment of other resources, but there are some exceptions to this generalization.

4TM involves the apotheosis of an individual, organization, business, and/or technique to the point no differing thought is tolerated – or even entertained in the good-faith interest of continuing education – regardless of facts, knowledge, and experience of the person or organization proffering the differing information.

4TMers never really achieve (or touch) the thing (or magic) they want – at least not completely – which is why it’s called “Trying to Touch the Magic” and not “Touching the Magic.” 4TMers know they cannot be the magic, but want you and everyone else to believe they are. Confronting a suspected 4TMer with hard questions and truth – even if directed at their brand of magic and not them – is a pretty good way to ferret them out. You’ll know if their individual or org is full 4TM because they will get angry and emotionally defend factually indefensible positions in support of their ego. They will do whatever they can to maintain the façade and prolong the fantasy.

Many people who are 4TM congregate together. These individuals usually have fixed mindsets and are all-to-eager to muddy the waters or blur the lines of who they really are and what they really do. This is most obvious in the LE/MIL world, but there are civilians out there who do the same especially if they make their living in the training industry.

4TMers create a cult of personality within the training world regardless of whether they are working in concert or not. 4TMers create a hive-mind around whatever brand of magic they are after. And it is possible for multiple 4TMers to exist and chase multiple areas simultaneously. For example: competition (gamer) shooters vs. self-defense/”tactical” (timmy) shooters; this instructor vs. that instructor; Civilian vs. MIL vs. LE instructor; this drill vs that drill; this qual vs. that qual; 9mm vs. 45; handheld light vs WML; tritium sights vs. FO/non-night sights; this training camp vs. that training camp; etc.

4TM accurately describes those doing silly things they think are serious things which lead them down dangerous roads they are ill-equipped to safely traverse. When told this they lash out and are unwilling to consider a divergent view point because of ego, emotional investment, cognitive dissonance or a combination thereof. Mental agility is not always the 4TMer's strength.

4TM is almost a form of Dunning-Kruger Effect, but it is contagious and induces cult-like behavior from the infected. It’s so insidious people who don’t have it can be convinced they need it in order to better themselves.

If you doubt 4TM is a real issue just take a minute to look around the training industry/world through the prism of social media. While you’re looking you’ll probably get some ads that pop up. Entire businesses are built and rely upon 4TM to survive and thrive. FYI: it isn’t just the “multicam plate carrier camp kids” that I’m talking about nor are they the only people 4TMing it out there.

To level up, shooters can't accept or discard something simply because of who is presenting the information. Deriding something before considering the information at hand simply because of who is presenting it is no less ignorant than accepting information without question because of who is presenting it.

Within reason, the who providing information should not matter, but the who can provide some context and should further assist the consumer of knowledge in forming pertinent questions.

If someone is demonstrably incompetent to provide information (or even an educated opinion) the who is obviously important, but it should not be the single criteria for evaluating the veracity of the information presented. Rather, the who can be a useful discriminator in a personal decision matrix.

When I say the who should matter less than the what I say so with the implied understanding the individual deciding to accept, adapt, or discard the information offered must utilize some intellectual agility and avoid the easy (read: lazy) way out.

Instead of immediately accepting or dismissing the information because the person who gave it wears multicam, a sponsored shooter jersey, or a blue-line American flag patch maybe look at the information with an open mind, ask hard questions (of yourself included), and maybe (in the case of shooting drills, training, etc.) you try it at your next range session before making decisions or providing opinions which are prematurely formed and foolishly shared.

The major wrinkle in this “4TM” disorder is best summarized by Mike Pannone who has said: “The magic is there is no magic.”

I know Mike was talking about shooting performance, but it is applicable to a lot of other cool stuff in life as well.

The point to all of this post: too much 4TM in the training world and not enough people/groups are trying to reach their full potential - either as an individual or organization - the right way vs chasing magical totems, personas, rituals, or mantras they just can’t quite seem to touch.

Spectacular. I will be searching on and reading more of this pandemic. ;) Thank you.

Hambo
06-25-2019, 07:00 AM
A few weeks ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgH9BxnfhMw

Seriously, probably a good point, but I need the two sentence summary.

RevolverRob
06-25-2019, 08:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgH9BxnfhMw

Seriously, probably a good point, but I need the two sentence summary.

4TM = Self-Delusion of talent/skill and efforts to convince others that you possess said talent/skill.

Unfortunately like most pop-psychology terms this one conflates the conmen who are running the show and those who follow.

Clusterfrack
06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Great post, Clark Jackson. (And really well written too). I'm glad you expanded on our off-line discussion and started this thread. 4TM is a deep rabbit hole, and it's possible to get trapped down there.

Drills and classes can come represent merit associated with the people who design or teach them. Training with an ex-SEAL, ex-Unit, or other operator-type dude makes people feel badass. I know because I've done plenty of that, and my current martial arts instructor is that kind of guy. I'm covered in training-knife-tip bruises once again today, and it feels great. But, I always try to remember: the most important thing is what I learn, not who I train with.

Similarly, shooting drills can come to have special status because of the people who designed them. This is both a good and a not-so-good thing. The good part is some smart people with lots of real-world experience designed the drill. But, if it becomes like a martial arts kata that makes people feel like they've achieved mastery when they achieve a certain score... that's not so good.

I hope some of our local magicians (SMEs) will comment here about how to get the most out of training with them, and how to avoid a one-way trip down the 4TM rabbit hole.

willie
06-25-2019, 03:56 PM
In the very early 80's I was shooting at a large state range where l.e. persons from various agencies were practicing prior to qualifying. Several had semi autos. I was shooting two Sig 220's, both with euro style mag heel releases. Several commented on my choice of obsolete equipment. With immense glee and no mercy, I pointed out that several of them were trying to shoot but could not because their defective button mag releases were allowing their magazines to drop from their weapons without activation. Were I to appear at a training class today, I would hear the same comment.
For my purposes, I prefer the heel release yet my choice would inflame many present.

Often dictated doctrine within groups has a basis in a set of narrow assumptions even though they may not be stated. To an extent I see this phenomenon in action on gun forums. Lurk on Kel Tec, Hi-Point, or Taurus fora if you wish to see such. On reputable fora, disagreeing with subject matter experts can raise ire. Whenever one member has greater status than others within a group, pecking order psychology can sometimes be observed.

Borderland
06-26-2019, 12:12 PM
In the very early 80's I was shooting at a large state range where l.e. persons from various agencies were practicing prior to qualifying. Several had semi autos. I was shooting two Sig 220's, both with euro style mag heel releases. Several commented on my choice of obsolete equipment. With immense glee and no mercy, I pointed out that several of them were trying to shoot but could not because their defective button mag releases were allowing their magazines to drop from their weapons without activation. Were I to appear at a training class today, I would hear the same comment.
For my purposes, I prefer the heel release yet my choice would inflame many present.

Often dictated doctrine within groups has a basis in a set of narrow assumptions even though they may not be stated. To an extent I see this phenomenon in action on gun forums. Lurk on Kel Tec, Hi-Point, or Taurus fora if you wish to see such. On reputable fora, disagreeing with subject matter experts can raise ire. Whenever one member has greater status than others within a group, pecking order psychology can sometimes be observed.

You don't need to go to other forums to see it. You can see it right here.

willie
06-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Elsewhere I have been accused of trolling when such was not my intent. Perhaps the most unusual instance was a discussion on capital punishment. I may know more about this topic than most. I pointed out that one role of the chaplain is to convince the poor bastard that he would soon go to a better place. Thus convinced, the condemned is less likely to fight those who are about to kill him. I remember one event where the condemned was improperly restrained and was wiggling out of an upper restraint. The chaplain sat on him. I was not present.

wvincent
06-26-2019, 12:56 PM
You don't need to go to other forums to see it. You can see it right here.

Really? Which SME's would that be? Oh wait, we don't have titled SME's here anymore. Just like there is no post count either. This is about as level of a playing field as one can find in a forum.
I've been here awhile, one thing I have noticed is you can respectfully disagree with ANYONE here, and not have to be watching for Ban Hammer coming at you. It was designed this way, and has kept pretty true to mission.
If you find a better one, shoot me the link, as would be really interested.

Disclaimer: The Mod's here really are shit:D

Guinnessman
06-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Really? Which SME's would that be? Oh wait, we don't have titled SME's here anymore. Just like there is no post count either. This is about as level of a playing field as one can find in a forum.
I've been here awhile, one thing I have noticed is you can respectfully disagree with ANYONE here, and not have to be watching for Ban Hammer coming at you. It was designed this way, and has kept pretty true to mission.

Do we still have “Mods” here?:p:p:p

Clusterfrack
06-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Can we get this thread back on track? I’m hoping we can discuss Clark’s post some more.

I’ve trained with some of the top names in defensive and competitive shooting, and also some in combatives. Some of the classes and seminars were truly excellent, but others weren’t, if learning is the primary goal. Entertaining and challenging, but not a good skill building experience. When I compare the big name classes to ones I’ve done with less famous people, I find that there’s little correlation between instructor fame and learning outcome.

Borderland
06-26-2019, 01:35 PM

I don't disagree with that as I'm a supporter. It's the best one around. I've been threatened with the dreaded ban many times on other forums and those forums are nothing more than echo chambers. Some are dying because of it.

But we were discussing the 4TM disorder, not the management. My comment was directed to that.

People who train sometimes have a very narrow focus and they don't like criticism of their programs or the gear they promote. That was the entire basis of the 4TM post. It must be hell being a trainer and having to defend both your reasoning and gear selection. Somebody is always going to question that once they reach a certain proficiency level.

Clark Jackson
06-29-2019, 04:05 PM
4TM = Self-Delusion of talent/skill and efforts to convince others that you possess said talent/skill.

Unfortunately like most pop-psychology terms this one conflates the conmen who are running the show and those who follow.

Does it though?

There are conmen/women on both sides of the equation and that's just one facet to 4TM.

There are also legitimate people "running the show" who - despite their intentions - have 4TMers following them and visa versa. 4TM is more complicated than just "conmen" and their followers.

Thanks for giving me the rad props of creating a "pop-psychology term," but not really mine. I heard it from a friend in a similar context almost a decade ago and I just adapted it to some of my thoughts on today's culture.

However, I will soon start a training company and/or be an internet "influencer" and charge a premium rate because I can list "creator of pop-psychology term '4TM'" in my CV. In fact, I should probably TM it just for extra legitness... I hear that's a thing now-a-days.

But seriously, how does 4TM conflate the "conmen" from those who follow? Genuinely interested in your perspective.

Clark Jackson
06-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Can we get this thread back on track? I’m hoping we can discuss Clark’s post some more.

When I compare the big name classes to ones I’ve done with less famous people, I find that there’s little correlation between instructor fame and learning outcome.

Agree all. The world of social media (read: fantasy-land) has created the WoZ resume (WoZ = Wizard of Oz).

The WoZ resume is a resume comprised of part truth, part illusion, and part pseudo-celebrity. The right beard, tattoos, clothes, gear, and loyal disciples can lead many down the road of "this guy must be good" when, in fact, they are just another modern take on the Wizard of Oz.

Solid information is solid information. It should not matter who presents it. However, 4TM is more than con men and those conned or those who willing followed knowing it was a con.

Information overload/super-saturation is a real thing. Many do not have the time and/or mental agility to navigate everything out there and even those who do sometimes fall victim to a "con man" or cult of personality. It happens. Most people cannot hold auditions for their instructors. In other words, most can't "test drive" before buying.

In the absence of some sort of regulating body to keep everyone honest there are the occasional dice rolls. I don't know about others, but I prefer rolling loaded dice in my favor. That's why I joined PF and that's why I listen to a lot of people who don't fit today's "training expert" personas.

My single most influential mentor is someone you'd never pick out of a crowd if you conjured up today's image of super high speed or super bad ass dude. Ironically, that's because the idea (read: Hollywood) of a super high speed or super bad ass dude vs. the reality of that dude have never truly been reconciled throughout human history.

There are old cliches that routinely warn us about some of the trappings of 4TM such as: "Don't judge a book by it's cover,;" or "Never underestimate..." but we don't listen. We're people and people are fickle idiots, all of us.

I wish there were more cold hard call-outs on legitimate forums (like PF) of bad actors within the industry. Societal pressure is one of the best ways to fight anything including 4TM.

4TM must become socially unacceptable if it is to ever go away or diminish. It's the law of supply and demand.

Tamara
06-29-2019, 06:05 PM
I wish there were more cold hard call-outs on legitimate forums (like PF) of bad actors within the industry. Societal pressure is one of the best ways to fight anything including 4TM.

This just plays into the "outsider" or "iconoclast" marketing of several.

RevolverRob
06-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Does it though?

It does conflate them, because it doesn't focus on a clear understanding of the varied motivations of both the people trying to "touch" the magic and those "providing" the magic. Some are innocent and some are deliberate in obfuscating reality.

I think it would be far more useful to dissect the motivations for both cultists and cult leaders. And it's probably best to do it just like that and use the psychological terms appropriate to that.

As it is, what you've effectively circumscribed with "4TMer" is...person susceptible to become a cult member and brainwashed cult member.

Everyone else figures out that "magic" isn't actually magical and is instead simply ignorance of something. Many things look like black boxes when you're ignorant to them. This is why people believe in conspiracy theories like we didn't land on the moon.

Clark Jackson
06-29-2019, 06:30 PM
This just plays into the "outsider" or "iconoclast" marketing of several.

I don't think it plays into those people because those people are also 4TMers. The concept of 4TM should be used (by those not 4TMing) to identify, isolate, and by-pass the "outsider" and "iconoclast" as well. However, you bring up a good point for discussion.

Anyone who tells you that they are an "outsider" or "iconoclast" for marketing purposes (read: to enrich themselves) is most definitely arrogant and quite likely a megalomaniac.

4TM doesn't just affect those attending training as it also afflicts those providing it.

I would hope that knowing and understanding 4TM would provide someone with the ability to avoid those who sell themselves as either "the magic" or as "the anti-magic," and instead force them to learn from those who provide solid information regardless of the ancillary glitter.

Lastly, I do not dispute there are those out there selling themselves as the "iconoclast" or "outsider" and therefore people should listen to and pay them for their knowledge. If you know of any in particular please name names as that can only help the overall training community.

Trooper224
06-29-2019, 06:32 PM
It's all about tribalism and fashion. These two things are present in every society and are the prime drivers in any market. Whether it concerns cars, boats, movies, clothes..... or guns, most desire to be part of a tribe. Back in school those were the cool kids at that certain table in the lunchroom. Most of the human race never truly gets out of the lunchroom.

We might desire to be part of the gun "tribe". Consequently, we feel the need to train with certain cool kids and be seen training with them. It doesn't matter whether we really learned anything, we have the t-shirt and the insta-selfie to give us street cred as part of the tribe. Not only do we desire membership in the tribe, we have to be seen as a member. So, we dress in the right operatorfu gear as seen in RECOIL magazine, looking like we're trying to keep it on the grey down low, but all the while showing everyone "in the know" we're a full fledged member of the tribe. It's more important to be seen as "what" we are instead of "who" we are.

This is present not only in the tactical side of shooting, but everywhere else from highpower rifle competition to sporting clays. It's a part of the human condition that every manufacturer in every industry plays to and try to exploit to their advantage. The firearms training industry is no different.

Clark Jackson
06-29-2019, 06:54 PM
It does conflate them, because it doesn't focus on a clear understanding of the varied motivations of both the people trying to "touch" the magic and those "providing" the magic. Some are innocent and some are deliberate in obfuscating reality.

I think it would be far more useful to dissect the motivations for both cultists and cult leaders. And it's probably best to do it just like that and use the psychological terms appropriate to that.

As it is, what you've effectively circumscribed with "4TMer" is...person susceptible to become a cult member and brainwashed cult member.

Everyone else figures out that "magic" isn't actually magical and is instead simply ignorance of something. Many things look like black boxes when you're ignorant to them. This is why people believe in conspiracy theories like we didn't land on the moon.

That's one of the purposes of the post... to "dissect the motivations for both cultists and cult leaders." Let's have at it as I think it would be a good discussion.

Fair warning, I'm not a classically trained psychologist so I may not know the appropriate terminology for this discussion, but I would still enjoy contributing to it. Well, I may not know the terminology is a true statement until someone submits the "4TM" term to the APA for official recognition and adoption. :)

But seriously, let's discuss the motivations for 4TM and beyond, please.

Clark Jackson
06-30-2019, 01:55 PM
It's all about tribalism and fashion. These two things are present in every society and are the prime drivers in any market. Whether it concerns cars, boats, movies, clothes..... or guns, most desire to be part of a tribe. Back in school those were the cool kids at that certain table in the lunchroom. Most of the human race never truly gets out of the lunchroom.

We might desire to be part of the gun "tribe". Consequently, we feel the need to train with certain cool kids and be seen training with them. It doesn't matter whether we really learned anything, we have the t-shirt and the insta-selfie to give us street cred as part of the tribe. Not only do we desire membership in the tribe, we have to be seen as a member. So, we dress in the right operatorfu gear as seen in RECOIL magazine, looking like we're trying to keep it on the grey down low, but all the while showing everyone "in the know" we're a full fledged member of the tribe. It's more important to be seen as "what" we are instead of "who" we are.

This is present not only in the tactical side of shooting, but everywhere else from highpower rifle competition to sporting clays. It's a part of the human condition that every manufacturer in every industry plays to and try to exploit to their advantage. The firearms training industry is no different.

+1 and big thumbs up to this post.

okie john
07-01-2019, 08:56 AM
But seriously, let's discuss the motivations for 4TM and beyond, please.

We can solve a problem so elegantly that for a long time our solution seems like the only one possible. Finding new ways to believe in your solution can be less painful than admitting that someone else has found a better way. It becomes 4TM when others start to feel the same way about your solution and stop thinking for themselves, and the possibility of making a living from the solution only leads people deeper into the swamp.

The best example for shooters is Cooper and the 1911, but I’d bet that 4TM and the Dunning-Kruger Effect were born on the day that apes began to think.

Okie John

Torsius
07-01-2019, 09:31 AM
One area I see 4TM creep in is the over-reliance on manufacturer’s materials for police training. A good manufacturer will provide training literature and videos, but a healthy dollop of marketing is usually included. This can create the illusion that this is the only viable tool for the particular application, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Thus, Glock “perfection.”

I appreciate folks with the experience to provide the pros and cons of various tools/techniques, even if they have developed a strong preference for one. These people are not thick on the ground.

Baldanders
07-01-2019, 10:40 AM

This has applications far outside the firearms world; education and "management culture" came to my mind immediately. Jargon is an important signifier to show you are "in the know." Use of jargon is widely assumed to show mastery of a subject--which is why the incompetents who can no longer use plain English effectively dominate leadership positions in education everywhere. (I think this process is familar to our LE members.)

One of my "secret lessons" to my students is that large, seldom used words impress people-- who don't know how to write well themselves. People who know how to write well are impressed by how words are used. So if you're writing for idiots, use your online thesaurus all you want. If you are writing for smart folks, focus on making sense.

Baldanders
07-01-2019, 11:52 AM
That's one of the purposes of the post... to "dissect the motivations for both cultists and cult leaders." Let's have at it as I think it would be a good discussion.

I have been facinated by cults ever since finding the wealth of anti-Scientology material on the net, about 20 years ago.

2 prime things to keep in mind about people who join cults:

1) They tend to be of above average intelligence.

2) They tend to feel strongly about a set of issues.

So basically, having a brain and giving a shit are risk factors for joining a cult.

I would highly recommend Chris Shelton's Anti-Scientology/critical thinking channel on YouTube for members who want to delve into these issues. The striking thing is how similar these groups are in operation, even if their ideological bases are completely different.

Baldanders
07-01-2019, 12:16 PM
We can solve a problem so elegantly that for a long time our solution seems like the only one possible...

The best example for shooters is Cooper and the 1911, but I’d bet that 4TM and the Dunning-Kruger Effect were born on the day that apes began to think.

Okie John

Cooper and the 1911/.45 ACP is a great example of how smart people can be utterly consumed by cult-like thinking. "Guy founded (codified?) the 'modern technique,' who are you to question his expertise?"

Some smart guy pointed out somewhere that paradigms don't die because they are disproved, it's just that their followers die.

Many are still convinced that the AR is a shit platform compared to the M14.