PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 Range Report

KentF
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I took my new P30 out this morning for her initial firing after wiping off the packing grease and applying some Miltech-1 along the slide rails for lubrication. I was only shooting for function today, so I didn't take any targets. I was just shooting into the back berm. I was shooting some old ammo that I have had on hand for several years:

50 rounds of 115 grain FMJ hand loads. The label stated they were loaded with 6.1 grains of Unique.
5 rounds of loose JHPs with the cases marked "RP" and "+P".
20 rounds of Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok HP (P9HS1)
30 rounds of Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok HP (P9HS1G)*
I had one failure to fire with the first magazine of these due to operator error. I had failed to seat the magazine fully and as a result it failed to chamber a round when I racked the slide. :o
14 rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP +P
After the 14th shot, I noticed the rear sight had drifted to the right. When I checked this I found I could easily slide the sight back and forth with my fingers.

I guess I'll be calling HK on Monday...

* What is the difference between P9HS1 and 9HS1G?

F-Trooper05
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
That blows. Mepros are installed at Columbus after they remove the stock sights that come from Germany. Someone obviously wasn't paying attention to what they were doing.

fuse
03-12-2011, 09:16 PM
very sorry about the rear sight, but...

what exactly is the point of mindlessly shooting into a berm?

did you really shoot over 100 rounds at nothing in particular? had the sight not shifted, how many more rounds would you have shot?

seems like a giant waste of ammo. and not just walmart ammo, some freaking +p gold dots as well!!

its not like you can't 'test for function' while actaully getting something done. but I guess apparently one can 'test for function' and literally not accomplish anything else. though I never considered the possibility.

even if you're just seeing the smallest group you can make on a paper plate at 7 yards, or seeing how quickly you can shoot 5 rounds into a plate at 2 yards, I find it hard to believe you couldn't think of anything useful to do.

JM Campbell
03-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Maybe you should reread the OP...I quoted some of it for you.

I took my new P30 out this morning for her initial firing after wiping off the packing grease and applying some Miltech-1 along the slide rails for lubrication. I was only shooting for function today, so I didn't take any targets. I was just shooting into the back berm. I was shooting some old ammo that I have had on hand for several years:

50 rounds of 115 grain FMJ hand loads. The label stated they were loaded with 6.1 grains of Unique.
5 rounds of loose JHPs with the cases marked "RP" and "+P".
20 rounds of Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok HP (P9HS1)
30 rounds of Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok HP (P9HS1G)*

fuse
03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
indeed.

my question is, what is the point of shooting for function?

ever notice that when you shoot for groups, or shoot for speed, the gun either functions or it doesn't? really every time you go to the range you technically "shoot for function".

just saying the OP could have gotten a piece of trash to toss on the berm and aim at, and the range trip would have been about 300% more productive. and he could still say he was "shooting for function" if he wanted.

I just do not understand mindlessly pumping rounds into a berm.

jslaker
03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Fwiw, shooting at the berm was specifically recommended to me in the past couple of days to work on anticipation issues.

fuse
03-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Fwiw, shooting at the berm was specifically recommended to me in the past couple of days to work on anticipation issues.

I cant comment on that, of course.

I maintain the idea of shooting only "for function" is ridiculous.

KentF
03-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I spoke with HK Customer Service this morning. The rep. (Link) asked if it was the factory sight or the night sight. When I told him it was the night sight he said this is the first he has heard of a P30 sight coming loose. He also confirmed that this gun was part of a limited edition run that came with the folding knife with matching serial number. He told me "Don't break the knife, because we can't replace it."

As far as the sight goes, he told me to send them the slide. When I mentioned that I was considering getting a set of Heinie sights installed at some time. He suggested I just go ahead and to that now since the rear sight is already off the gun.

So, I guess I'll be contacting Heinie about installing some sights.