PDA

View Full Version : Using my ultrasonic for an AR BCG

LittleLebowski
06-21-2019, 06:33 PM
I’ll post the results tomorrow, but you get the idea. I bought this ultrasonic cleaner (https://amzn.to/2Xsvp3Z) in February 2016 and I’ve used it pretty hard.

This is for my filthy 5.45 AR’s BCG. I used hot water, some Dawn dish soap, and turned on the built in water heater.

https://youtu.be/K4uklKl-BiM

OlongJohnson
06-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Good call staying away from the caustic cleaning solutions. Anything with a non-neutral pH (in either direction) is a risk on lots of finishes, whether they are sacrificial metal plating (zinc, etc.), oxygen-based conversion coatings (anodizing or bluing) or just simple barriers (paints) like Cerakote.

momano
06-21-2019, 08:44 PM
will this be a better clean than the non-chlorinated brake cleaner that you've talked about before? Is your BCG phosphate coated? I'm curious and VERY ignorant...

Best,
Ozzie

LittleLebowski
06-21-2019, 09:17 PM
will this be a better clean than the non-chlorinated brake cleaner that you've talked about before? Is your BCG phosphate coated? I'm curious and VERY ignorant...

Best,
Ozzie

It’s better for a detailed cleaning, non chlorinated brake cleaner is still good, especially for the upper and lower receivers. It really cleans out the chamber in a way that you cannot sans parts washer.

The bolt carrier is a nickel boron one (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-nickel-boron-mp-prod105378.aspx), I had no problems with the original, but bought this since I’m using Soviet surplus, corrosive ammo.

Lex Luthier
06-21-2019, 09:34 PM
I am curious about how many rounds were fired between cleanings of that BCG.

( And how many rounds total, too. This is the old S & W, right?)

LittleLebowski
06-22-2019, 09:21 AM
I am curious about how many rounds were fired between cleanings of that BCG.

( And how many rounds total, too. This is the old S & W, right?)

First, maybe 800? I don’t keep records. Secondly, maybe 10k rounds on that BCG and that is sill the original bolt.

Lex Luthier
06-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Wow. 10k. So just a "3rd Tier" carbine, eh? :rolleyes:
( 2nd or 3rd barrel? I forget.)

I look forward to seeing what the ultrasonic cleaner does.

Kyle Reese
06-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Does S&W still warranty and support that model, El Duderino?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
06-23-2019, 12:03 PM
This is after I wiped everything down with a paper towel and cleaned out the tank. Note the bolt that's pitted from roughly 25k rounds of corrosive, Soviet surplus.

I just added hot water, some Dawn dish soap, set the tank heater to 140 degrees, and turned on the ultrasonic for thirty minutes.

LittleLebowski
06-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Does S&W still warranty and support that model, El Duderino?

No, I tried after the second barrel went south.

ranger
06-23-2019, 04:15 PM
I have one of those S&W 5.45 uppers plus a Spikes 5.45 upper. They sit in the back of the safe. Need to bring them out again. Mine are low count as 223/5.56 prices came down so I do not want to deal with the corrosive issues.

TGS
06-28-2019, 10:02 PM
LittleLebowski,

What was your usual cleaning routine and what products did you use? After shooting did you do a full cleaning with hot soap and water or at least use a corrosive salt neutralizing product like Ballistol? How long had that bolt gone without cleaning when you threw it into the tank?

LittleLebowski
07-02-2019, 05:38 PM
LittleLebowski,

What was your usual cleaning routine and what products did you use?
Hot water rinse, air dry, relube as needed. I’ll punch the bore once with carbon remover.

After shooting did you do a full cleaning with hot soap and water or at least use a corrosive salt neutralizing product like Ballistol? Just hot water, it neutralizes salts. Believe me, you would see the difference if you didn’t rinse with water.

How long had that bolt gone without cleaning when you threw it into the tank? I think north of 800 rounds, easily a year. FYI, shooting 5.45 ain’t like shooting 5.56, this shit is dirty.

TGS
07-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Hot water rinse, air dry, relube as needed. I’ll punch the bore once with carbon remover.

Just hot water, it neutralizes salts. Believe me, you would see the difference if you didn’t rinse with water.

I think north of 800 rounds, easily a year. FYI, shooting 5.45 ain’t like shooting 5.56, this shit is dirty.

WOW! Thanks for the info. That's amazing to see that much corrosion even with a good cleaning cycle.

I wonder how much of that wear/damage is simply from expected wear regardless of corrosive ammo. I've never seen a 5.56 bolt after 25k rounds, so I'm wondering if it would be just as beat to shit.

Totally following you with the hot water. Growing up we cleaned our black powder rifles with hot soapy water in a bucket, worked fantastic. I got my first Commie gun from Fred a couple weeks ago, so I was planning on doing the same routine but using Ballistol as my lube just as good measure since my regular stuff (Slip) doesn't neutralize the corrosive salts.

LittleLebowski
07-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Just cleaned the wife's jewelry, popular request in my house. The results are amazing.

https://youtu.be/rdt_uBzuWaU

Mike C
07-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Just learned a few things great info cleaning solutions and effects on coatings.

LittleLebowski
07-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Before: my G19X, easily 3k+ rounds without cleaning.

LittleLebowski
07-08-2019, 06:55 AM
After 30 mins in hot water with a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap. The slide was only in there bottom down, as so to avoid damage to the tritium vials in the night sights. The purple hue on the slide is normal for a G19X.

Casual Friday
07-08-2019, 08:17 AM
I miss the days of uber cheap, dirty, corrosive surplus ammo and hosing down AKs in the back yard after a range trip.

LittleLebowski
07-08-2019, 08:53 AM
I miss the days of uber cheap, dirty, corrosive surplus ammo and hosing down AKs in the back yard after a range trip.

I have a fairly large stack of 5.45 in tins.

LittleLebowski
09-06-2022, 09:07 AM
M&P 15/22 BCG today.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5_9jWCxlrwI