PDA

View Full Version : The Glock 17 Broke Again...

lamarbrog
04-01-2012, 12:56 AM
At about 18 months on the range as a rental at this point, the Glock 17, Gen 3, P-series SN has finally experienced its second breakage. The first one was at about 12 months. The trigger spring snapped. This pistol has the "dip" extractor, a 336 ejector, and the MIM locking block. We estimate that this pistol has seen at least 20.000 rounds, although 25.000+ is likely more accurate. (If every person who has rented it only shot one box of ammunition, it would have seen just shy of 19.000 rounds. We keep track of number of times rented, not round count.)

Today, a customer alerted me that the pistol was not functioning properly. He said the slide was locking back at random. I asked him to shoot the pistol while I observed, which he did. After a few rounds, the pistol locked open just as he said it had. An inspection quickly revealed that the slide stop was malfunctioning, just flopping about loosely. Removal of the slide stop confirmed that the source of the problem was a broken slide stop spring.

While a new part was being brought up from the gunsmithing department the pistol was lubricated. The part was replaced, and back onto the line it went. She's still humming along.

Interestingly enough, the Glock 19 (Gen 3, dip extractor, 336 ejector, old non-MIM locking block, P-series) also experience an issue at the same time. The customer claimed the pistol would not fire. I cleared it, and attempted to dry fire it. It would dry fire, but it had about a 20# trigger pull. I field stripped the pistol, observed no excessive fouling or foreign material, nor did I notice any damage to any parts. I lubricated the pistol, reassembled it, and the issue seemed to be resolved. The cause of the incredibly stiff trigger is still unknown.

Just thought someone might be interested in the issues we observe on these high round count pistols.

F-Trooper05
04-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Not sure what the recommended service life is on a Glock slide catch, but 20,000 rounds isn't anything to freak out about IMHO. Sh*t breaks. C'est la vie.

DocGKR
04-01-2012, 03:07 AM
As I have noted in other threads, I also have a P serial number G19 that has twice exhibited incredibly heavy trigger pull weight. Each time a new trigger bar seemed to solve the problem, although I am still unclear why the issue occurred.

JodyH
04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
My wife's 2nd Gen 19 had the trigger weight go crazy heavy on her during a training class.
A few drops of oil on the trigger bar and connector and it was back to normal.

JSGlock34
04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Springs will break. Unfortunately, spring life can be very inconsistent - even among identical model pistols.

In my opinion, one of the great benefits of the Glock pistol are the ready supply of spare parts and the ease of replacement. There are other designs for which the detail strip is far more complex, and the availability of spare parts means waiting for a new part and searching for someone to install it.

lamarbrog
04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure what the recommended service life is on a Glock slide catch, but 20,000 rounds isn't anything to freak out about IMHO. Sh*t breaks. C'est la vie.

Oh, I am not freaked out. The thread title was a sarcastic catch phrase to get you to click on the thread. We've had AR15s burn out barrels and break bolts at lower round counts. The fact that the Glock has only had two springs break, and really could have been fired (albeit more slowly) in both instances speaks to how resilient the design is. The fact that both times the pistol was diagnosed, repaired, and put back into use within 10-15 minutes is also amazing.

JBP55
04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I replace Glock springs at 10,000 rounds and yearly in the Glocks shot less than 10,000 rounds.

MadMax17
04-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Which springs is it prudent to replace? Recoil Spring Assembly obviously, but what else?

And is there a published interval that they should be replaced? Like you're supposed to get your oil changed every 3,000 miles kind of thing?

JV_
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I've gotten in the habit of replacing the Glock trigger spring when I replace the recoil spring (@ 5K), I'm sure it's overkill, but it's only a $2 part.

Mjolnir
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Hmm.... Does anyone have a source for cast/milled locking blocks for Model 17s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lamarbrog
04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
I don't know of a source for the older locking blocks, but I also would not really be concerned about it.

These newer MIM locking blocks in our rentals have not displayed any issues. We don't have an enormous sample size, but the dozen or so Glocks we rent definitely see a high enough round count that if it was an imminent problem it would be revealed. I have only ever witnessed one broken locking block, it was on a customer's pistol, and we only found out about it because it was being detail stripped to install an aftermarket connector. I'm not sure what the manufacturing method was on that one, I didn't take note at the time. The pistol was functioning even with it being broken, though.

David S.
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
FWIW, I also experienced a broken locking block on a G19g3 a couple years ago. One of the forward "arms" broke off. It was during a class and I had a backup gun. I don't remember the circumstances but I don't think it caused a stoppage.

David Armstrong
04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I replace Glock springs at 10,000 rounds and yearly in the Glocks shot less than 10,000 rounds.
This, although the range guns just get a change annually without worrying about round count. It is easy enough and cheap enough to replace all the springs on a Glock that it is just a cheap insurance policy.