PDA

View Full Version : Articles on the ATF seeking out those Glock auto sears from China

LittleLebowski
06-20-2019, 01:10 PM
https://www.poconorecord.com/news/20190619/effort-man-charged-with-illegal-machine-gun-possession

The United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania announced on Wednesday that Tyler Lameo, 27, had been charged with the offense. According to United States Attorney David J. Freed, it is alleged that Lameo was in possession of a Glock 19 9 mm bearing an auto sear from April 20, 2018 through December 18, 2018.

Authorities are also seeking the forfeiture of several firearms, firearm components and ammunition, including the Glock, a Beretta Model ARX160 bearing a suppressor, an Iver Johnson Model Champion 12-gauge shotgun bearing a shortened barrel, a Chiappa Firearms Model SR-556 9 mm bearing a shortened barrel, a Sten 9 mm bearing a shortened barrel, a partial bump stock and miscellaneous suppressor components.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-county-man-accused-of-buying-kits-from-china/article_7678ca41-2d73-5c54-ae5c-e64232bea153.html

ST. LOUIS • A man from St. Louis County is facing a federal machine gun charge after federal agents say he bought conversion kits from China that convert Glock pistols into fully automatic weapons.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/glock-automatic-pistol-switch-charges-508463411.html

A Chicago man authorities say vaulted from a balcony holding a package of “switches” used to convert Glock handguns into fully-automatic weapons during a raid is now held on $50,000 bond.

blues
06-20-2019, 01:14 PM
I can remember when our range officers warned us not to snip that little strip of plastic in the Steyr AUG trigger assembly...or else.

(Hell, I wasn't even a fan of the three round burst. ;))

Totem Polar
06-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Someone here has said that we are all only one bad decision away from ruining our lives. Rabbiting with a full baggy of dark sears likely qualifies.

CCT125US
06-20-2019, 01:40 PM
So technically anyone who claimed you can buy a machine gun from the internet was correct. They just stop a bit short of completing the story. Which ends with the buyer being tracked down and thrown in prison.

HCM
06-20-2019, 06:01 PM
https://www.poconorecord.com/news/20190619/effort-man-charged-with-illegal-machine-gun-possession

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-county-man-accused-of-buying-kits-from-china/article_7678ca41-2d73-5c54-ae5c-e64232bea153.html

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/glock-automatic-pistol-switch-charges-508463411.html

ATF is not the only ones working these. ICE/HSI is as well, in conjunction with CBP since they are all coming out of China.

This has been going on for a year or more via wish.com and many of these are being recovered in other crimes.

OlongJohnson
06-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Someone here has said that we are all only one bad decision away from ruining our lives. Rabbiting with a full baggy of dark sears likely qualifies.

That's at least two bad decisions, likely several more than that. Just sayin'.

Drang
06-25-2019, 06:31 PM
So technically anyone who claimed you can buy a machine gun from the internet was correct.
I'd ask where on the internet you can find these, simply to establish that it ain't quite as simple as going to Amazon, but I don't want my motives to be misconstrued, so never mind...

LittleLebowski
06-25-2019, 06:56 PM
I'd ask where on the internet you can find these, simply to establish that it ain't quite as simple as going to Amazon, but I don't want my motives to be misconstrued, so never mind...

Wish.com, many of the direct from China shipping sites like it.

BigDaddy
06-25-2019, 07:34 PM

Oh man, now I can hear Governor Jabba da Hut calling for a ban on Glocks in Illinois. He'd be better off though if he banned pizza. he's had enough.

BehindBlueI's
06-25-2019, 08:44 PM

You could find them on Ebay as "airsoft accessories".

Drang
06-25-2019, 08:47 PM
No, really, I never asked and I don't want to know!

entropy
06-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Glock Auto Sear on eBay l Seriously, We Have Glock Auto Sear

:D

nycnoob
06-26-2019, 11:00 AM
You could find them on Ebay as "airsoft accessories".

I remember just a few years ago there was a shipment of airsoft pistols from china which
could easily be converted into real pistols. Government seized the shipment and the
importer was claiming he was out a ton of money for legit airsoft pistols in a popular model.
We never heard what happened to that news story.

Darth_Uno
06-26-2019, 11:35 AM

On the dark web, man. I seen that on 60 Minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CleverNickname
06-26-2019, 05:08 PM
I remember just a few years ago there was a shipment of airsoft pistols from china which
could easily be converted into real pistols. Government seized the shipment and the
importer was claiming he was out a ton of money for legit airsoft pistols in a popular model.
We never heard what happened to that news story.

I don't know about pistols, but there was an instance a few years ago where some imported airsoft M16's had plastic lowers which could fit real 5.56mm uppers on them with little/no modification.

paherne
06-26-2019, 05:14 PM
An arrest for these sear was made locally:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Assault-rifles-grenade-launcher-seized-in-Foster-14044722.php

David C.
06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
And yet nobody charged for Wide Receiver or Fast and Furious.

HCM
06-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Completely separate issue from the topic of the thread.

David C.
06-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Completely separate issue from the topic of the thread.

Goose meet gander.

ETA: If the topic is people being charged for illegal weapons in circulation or the government trying to recover illegal weapons in circulation then it is the same.

andre3k
09-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Just picked up another one of these last night from a suspect. It was a G19 with one of these auto sears. The other I got a few months ago, suspect tossed it while running. They're out here. I have my doubts that the ATF will take either of the cases.

jetfire
09-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Just picked up another one of these last night from a suspect. It was a G19 with one of these auto sears. The other I got a few months ago, suspect tossed it while running. They're out here. I have my doubts that the ATF will take either of the cases.

And yet people think we need more gun laws, when the feds won't even prosecute a slam dunk unregistered machine gun.

andre3k
09-30-2019, 12:06 PM
And yet people think we need more gun laws, when the feds won't even prosecute a slam dunk unregistered machine gun.If the ATF doesn't take it then he'll get a $100 bond and probation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
09-30-2019, 12:46 PM

He was beaten by the Free Safety.

WobblyPossum
09-30-2019, 01:36 PM
And yet people think we need more gun laws, when the feds won't even prosecute a slam dunk unregistered machine gun.

Sadly, “one guy, one gun” cases aren’t sexy enough the get picked up in busy districts.

TC215
09-30-2019, 05:50 PM

It was my understanding that HSI and ATF were working these cases together.

I can say this now, because I work for a different agency now, but HSI and ATF got a newer officer at my old place with two of them. I had to meet with the US Attorney’s Office over it— they did not prosecute it because they said it was their policy not to if the person was cooperative, and the officer was. I don’t know if that was the policy of that one office, or if it was USAO policy nation-wide. The officer ended up losing his job anyway.

HCM
09-30-2019, 05:55 PM
It was my understanding that HSI and ATF were working these cases together.

They are.

We just had one pop up on a dope warrant and ATF /USAO are all over it.

CCT125US
09-30-2019, 06:04 PM
This article from 03/17 popped up in a quick search.

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/03/13/man-convicted-of-selling-unregistered-full-auto-sears-faces-190-years

"Gregory Williams, 29, of Pensacola, sold at least nine unregistered full auto sears to undercover agents over a four-month period last year".

10mmfanboy
09-30-2019, 08:37 PM
I remember actually seeing a G18 "airsoft" switch on amazon like 3 years ago. I remember thinking to myself, oh ok, I can make my glock full auto but I can't buy a glock apex trigger pfft.

JRB
10-01-2019, 12:31 AM
Sadly, “one guy, one gun” cases aren’t sexy enough the get picked up in busy districts.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/vietnam-war-hero-sentenced-to-7-years-for-decades-old-rifle-purchase-report

Unless, of course, it's an otherwise peaceful 70 year old veteran that earned a Silver Star for Valor.

If they're willing to fry a man like that for simply possessing an M14, I think every chicken shit social-activist prosecutor ought to be throw in prison themselves if they fail to fry every gangbanging piece of shit guilty of the same. If a man like that nets 7 years, I want to see these gangbangers and asshole seditious hillbillies get 10 years a piece. Period.

They should have taken that M14 and put it in a band saw, and called it a day.

Caballoflaco
10-01-2019, 05:36 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/us/vietnam-war-hero-sentenced-to-7-years-for-decades-old-rifle-purchase-report

Unless, of course, it's an otherwise peaceful 70 year old veteran that earned a Silver Star for Valor.

If they're willing to fry a man like that for simply possessing an M14, I think every chicken shit social-activist prosecutor ought to be throw in prison themselves if they fail to fry every gangbanging piece of shit guilty of the same. If a man like that nets 7 years, I want to see these gangbangers and asshole seditious hillbillies get 10 years a piece. Period.

They should have taken that M14 and put it in a band saw, and called it a day.

He wasn’t convicted of owning a machine gun, he was convicted of possessing a firearm while using illegal drugs. (On a plea deal: he also had cocain and marijuana at his house) Also, he didn’t seem very peaceful.

Dallas News article:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018/10/20/decorated-vietnam-vet-had-drugs-14-guns-when-his-family-led-atf-to-his-plano-home/

But in court, prosecutors presented a much different story, saying that Pick had admitted to others that he had stolen the illegal weapon while in the military. They also recounted how in October 2017, Plano police had been called to a local hospital regarding "a belligerent individual."

There, officers encountered Pick, who, upset about his wife's treatment in the hospital, told medical staff and others that he would return with a gun and "shoot [them] in their kneecaps and elbows first and let them bleed."

“Prosecutors also informed the court that Pick had been repeatedly cited for criminal trespass at area hospitals for his aggressive behavior and that police had twice been called in 2014 to defuse situations in which Pick had brandished handguns and threatened others.”

JRB
10-01-2019, 06:41 AM
He wasn’t convicted of owning a machine gun, he was convicted of possessing a firearm while using illegal drugs. (On a plea deal: he also had cocain and marijuana at his house) Also, he didn’t seem very peaceful.

Dallas News article:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018/10/20/decorated-vietnam-vet-had-drugs-14-guns-when-his-family-led-atf-to-his-plano-home/

But in court, prosecutors presented a much different story, saying that Pick had admitted to others that he had stolen the illegal weapon while in the military. They also recounted how in October 2017, Plano police had been called to a local hospital regarding "a belligerent individual."

There, officers encountered Pick, who, upset about his wife's treatment in the hospital, told medical staff and others that he would return with a gun and "shoot [them] in their kneecaps and elbows first and let them bleed."

“Prosecutors also informed the court that Pick had been repeatedly cited for criminal trespass at area hospitals for his aggressive behavior and that police had twice been called in 2014 to defuse situations in which Pick had brandished handguns and threatened others.”

Thank you for the correction! Serves me right for believing two news stories at face value. As it was presented to me, it sure stank. I should not be surprised that reality was somewhere in the middle, as usual.

HCM
04-06-2022, 12:37 AM
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/04/05/watch-live-bcso-deputy-shot-suspect-at-large-on-far-west-side/

Suspect dead, BCSO deputy expected to survive after shooting on far West Side, sheriff says
Deputy was part of team trying to serve felony warrants on 18-year-old man at home in the 200 block of Demya Drive

SAN ANTONIO – A suspect is dead and a deputy is wounded after a shooting on the far West Side on Tuesday afternoon, according to Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar.

The shooting was reported in the 200 block of Demya Drive, just west of Loop 410.
Salazar said a team from the Fugitive Apprehension Unit was serving two felony warrants on an 18-year-old man for aggravated robbery and a narcotics offense.

The FAU team knocked on the front door of a home. When there was no answer, they approached a shed-like structure in the back, where the suspect was supposedly living.

Salazar said body camera video showed one deputy knocking on the door and then turning the slightly-opened knob. The deputy looked inside and then saw something that made him retreat. When he turned around, automatic gunfire could be heard in the video, according to the sheriff.
The gunfire from the suspect hit the deputy once in the back, Salazar said. The deputy then retreated nearby and called for help.

Other deputies arrived, and one returned fire on the suspect. Salazar said more automatic shots could be heard in the body camera video.

The injured deputy was rushed to University Hospital in a BCSO vehicle.

“We believe he’s going to survive,” Salazar said at a news conference.

The sheriff said the injured deputy was wearing a protective vest. However, it’s unclear if the bullet went through it or where exactly it hit the deputy.

After tactical teams and negotiators arrived, BCSO was able to make entry into the shed with a drone. The suspect was found dead with one gunshot wound. Salazar said it appears he died by gunfire, but the medical examiner will decide on the cause of death.

The sheriff said it’s unclear if the suspect killed himself or if he died from the shots the deputies fired. The suspect’s name has not been released.

Two firearms were recovered at the scene, according to Salazar.

alazar said the deputy who was shot is a 29-year veteran and will be out on medical leave until he recovers. The other deputies involved will be placed on administrative leave until they can return to administrative duty.
The sheriff said BCSO would release the body cam video as soon as they can, possibly within 10 days.