PDA

View Full Version : Reloading

UNK
03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm looking at the cost of ammo by the case and I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to reload.
Any reloaders on this site? I have reloaded before on a single stage but am not reloading anything now.
I have been looking at progressive's and wonder if there are any recommendations here?

JV_
03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Dillon 1050.

I reload 9mm for about 125 per case.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

UNK
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Dillon 1050.

I reload 9mm for about 125 per case.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

What are the components?

JV_
03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Montana Gold 124 CMJ
Vhit N320
Fed primer

-Sent using Tapatalk.

UNK
03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Im thinking the 1050 is way out of my league. I was thinking the Hornady Lock n load. I have just started looking so I really dont have a good idea yet.

WyoXd
03-31-2012, 09:28 PM
If you want versatility and economy, go Dillon 550 and shoot lead

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

UNK
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
If you want versatility and economy, go Dillon 550 and shoot lead

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I'm going to be shooting a P30. It has the polygonal barrel. Can I shoot lead through that?

Chris Rhines
03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
I also run a Dillon 1050, with a Mr. Bullet feeder. It's a big investment, but if you want to crank out rounds by the caseload, there's nothing finer.

I load 147grn. XTreme Bullets copper-plated LRNs over Hodgdon Titegroup, with a Fiocchi or Federal primer, in once-fired brass. I'm paying about $100-110/case, depending on shipping and bulk discounts.

-C

UNK
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
I also run a Dillon 1050, with a Mr. Bullet feeder. It's a big investment, but if you want to crank out rounds by the caseload, there's nothing finer.

I load 147grn. XTreme Bullets copper-plated LRNs over Hodgdon Titegroup, with a Fiocchi or Federal primer, in once-fired brass. I'm paying about $100-110/case, depending on shipping and bulk discounts.

-C
Thats a good price. I probably won't be cranking out caseloads however. If I set my goal for 3-4000 a year that would probably be the max.
I would like to be able to have the option of inexpensively shooting 124 or 147 for practice.

JAD
04-01-2012, 07:31 AM
9 is a little frustrating to reload but it's still worth it; you'll pay off your capital in the first year or two at 4000 rounds per year, faster if you mess with other cartridges. I think that you should look really, really hard at the 550. It's awfully versatile.

JeffJ
04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I load 9 on a square deal B - about $120/ 1000
I got a good deal on the square deal B, and it does everything I need in a small footprint. However, if I was buying new I'd probably go 550

Titegroup
Berrys 124 gr
CCI or Winchester primers (based on price and availability)

NETim
04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Thats a good price. I probably won't be cranking out caseloads however. If I set my goal for 3-4000 a year that would probably be the max.
I would like to be able to have the option of inexpensively shooting 124 or 147 for practice.

For loading only handgun rounds and at that quantity, the Dillon SDB would serve you well.

Or the XL650 for about twice the $$$ but almost 2x the output potential.

The 1050 is a great loader but that's a serious machine for serious amounts of production. (and a price tag to match.)

rsa-otc
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Another vote for the Dillon, specifically the 550. I have a 450 that has been upgraded with the 550 features. Awesome press extremely versatile and their no BS guarantee is the real deal. I got mine used 25 years ago and it's still cranking out the rounds.

My current 9mm loading is running approx $113 per 1000.

Bullseye Powder
Tula Primers
Bayou Bullets slugs.

Make sure you buy in bulk for powder & primers, spreads that nasty Haz MAt charge for shipping. I find a minimum of 5000 primers or 8 lbs of powder brings it down to a reasonable level.

EricP
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm reloading on a 550. If I had more ceiling height over my bench I'd buy a 650 in a heart beat. The case feeder and a fifth station to add a powder check die would make the price worth it for me.

A note on buying components, some companies won't package powder and primers together; resulting in two Hazmat fees. Get your friends or fellow club members to go into orders together to get bulk discounts and spread shipping charges around.

UNK
04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the info!!! Most helpful. :)

John Hearne
04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I really like my Dillon 550 that I bought used seven years ago. I got a good deal on it and I use it to crank out 45 ACP. If I were to buy another press, I'd lean towards a 650. It would be nice to have a 650 for high pistol round production and a 550 to load rifle on.

JV_
04-01-2012, 03:25 PM
If I set my goal for 3-4000 a year that would probably be the max.I would probably opt for the cheaper solution, the 550.

JConn
04-01-2012, 04:07 PM
With a roundcount that low, the cost savings over blazer aluminum might not be worth the start up costs and continued reloading time to me. Of course you might end up shooting a lot more, in which case getting into reloading is probably a good idea.

nwhpfan
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I run a Dillon 550. Personally I believe the Dillon is the flagship of progressive reloading machines. They are solidly built; hold their value; and easy to use.

I often see folks mention lack of time as a reason to not reload. It takes me about 15 minutes to do 100 rounds. To me it's fun and my set-up is in the garage so I'll crank a few bullets a couple times a week.

For .45 I've cut the cost substantially over buying factory. I run 3.8 clays and a 230g moly from www.precisionbullets.com I could go a little cheaper on the bullet but I like the performance. In all I shoot an extremely accurate bullet (recent competition 1 shot/1 fall on small poppers at 45 yards); and combination that is very clean, and provides the recoil impulse I prefer...while still shooting full power USPSA major loads. And my cost is 16cents a shot; $8 per 50; $160 per 1k.

I just started 9mm and I'll run 3.7g of WSF and a 147g bullet. The cost will come out to less than 12 cents a shot; $6 a box of 50; $120 per 1k case.

In all I shoot way more throughout year then I ever did and don't feel like I'm slinging quarters and 50cent pieces every time I pull the trigger.

Reloading can be intimidating and seem like there's alot to know but really it's not that difficult. The information is readily available on the web; books, etc. Good luck. www.brianenos.com/forums has a lot of good reloading information.

Mike R
04-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I started with a single stage, suffered with a Lee Pro 1000 (which will work, it is just a royal pain in the neck), and reached nirvana with the Dillon 550b. I loved it so much I bought a second one for cartridges with small primers. I also started casting .45 and .38, if you have a source for free lead costs are extremely low. I reload .45 for around 4-4.50 per hundred, and .38 for a similar cost. If my bullets are cast and lubed I can load a batch of 100 in about 15 minutes.

Reloading benefits vary by caliber. While you may not save as much money loading 9 as .45 you are still saving money (or shooting more). Plus people are pretty loose with 9mm brass, I scored over 600 pieces of 1x fired 9mm from a group of guys who don't reload last Saturday. You also have greater flexibility.

My second Dillon was purchased with 4 toolheads, 1 shellplate, 3 powder measures, .45, 9mm, and .308 dies for 300 bucks. It wasn't adjusted and running right, but 15 minutes and a bit of polish later I was good to go. If you shoot any rifles I would say the 550 is an excellent choice. A 650 might be better if you only load for 1 caliber, but I load 7 calibers and I can switch to any of them in about 5 minutes.

Sal Picante
04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
While it is geared towards competition, that forum is solid gold in getting good info on running a Dillon press.

Another vote for the 550 - simple, reliable.

I load on a 1050 + bullet feeder for volume, but the 550 is what i use to work up loads, load another caliber, etc.

JeffJ
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I'll also throw this out there - Dillon's customer service is top notch. I had a few adjustment issues in my used SDB which they were extremely helpful with, even sending me spare parts for free even after I told them it was used - they really take the lifetime warrently seriously.

m91196
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
If you get into reloading buy blue.

Dillon

theblacknight
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I know dillons rock and everything, but if I'm only going to reload 9mm, have more time then money,and even less living space, would a turret work for me once set up? I really have no interest in doing all these special loads, and trying to hover right over power factor,I just want to be able to practice outside of matches and not spend more by saving brass.People always leave 9mm at the range I shoot at.

rsa-otc
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I know dillons rock and everything, but if I'm only going to reload 9mm, have more time then money,and even less living space, would a turret work for me once set up? I really have no interest in doing all these special loads, and trying to hover right over power factor,I just want to be able to practice outside of matches and not spend more by saving brass.People always leave 9mm at the range I shoot at.

Ya a turret will work. For how long before your impatience hits is another thing. It's so nice that for each pull on the handle a round pops out with progressives.

I personally have no experience with LEE 1000 presses but I have read good things concerning them. If you are just going to load 9mm for practice this may be your solution. Just stay away from Federal primers with this press, they are reported to be too sensitive for LEE's priming system.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger

Sal Picante
04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Ya a turret will work. For how long before your impatience hits is another thing. It's so nice that for each pull on the handle a round pops out with progressives.

I'll add that there is danger in the turret press: great for a few cartridges here and there, but when you're loading for volume, more operations that are not automated == greater chance that you double charge, undercharge, miss a step, etc.

Additionally, that turret press isn't that much of a space saver...

JV_
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't want to reload pistol ammo on a single stage or turret press, unless I was doing some type of low volume bulls-eye/precision loads.

theblacknight
04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Whats the rph count difference? I plan on shooting 600r a month at the most.

JV_
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Whats the rph count difference?I've never seen any round per hour estimates from people loading pistol on single stage setups. I can do 1000 rounds in 90 minutes on my 1050, that includes lubing brass and filling primer tubes. A 650 wouldn't be far behind.

[a used 650 would be a great way to save $$]

theblacknight
04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
i just googled said firemaker machine. I have far too much free time and too little funds to justify that. I seen you can do 150r ph on a turret.600r in 4 hours. Thats seems ok to me. Or trying out silverbear 9mm. idk

JV_
04-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Reloading is not an inexpensive hobby. If you really want to save money, you have to buy in bulk. If reloading funds are limited, you might be better off with commercial ammo, like the Brown Bear you mentioned.

JeffJ
04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
At 600 rounds a month, I'd consider you just at the edge of making it worth it. If I were you I'd save for another couple months and see if you can't find a Square Deal B or 550 used. They're all over the place on the used market and Dillon stands behind them really well so even if you do have problems they'll probably take care of them.

BTW - I don't know anybody that started reloading and saved money - you just get to shoot more for the same amount.

UNK
04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
BTW - I don't know anybody that started reloading and saved money - you just get to shoot more for the same amount.

Thats what I figured would happen. :) The kids have already shot 2000 rounds of .22 this year. If ever get interested in centerfire that round count will go way up.

NETim
04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I enjoy reloading as a hobby. I can build loads to my specs. If, for example, I want to turn out some nice light powder puff 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads, I can do that. The fact that it saves me a few $$$ along the way is just icing on the cake. I enjoy the DIY aspect of reloading as well. It satisfies that male urge to build stuff. :)

UNK
04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
At 600 rounds a month, I'd consider you just at the edge of making it worth it. If I were you I'd save for another couple months and see if you can't find a Square Deal B or 550 used. They're all over the place on the used market and Dillon stands behind them really well so even if you do have problems they'll probably take care of them.

Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?

JV_
04-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?eBay, Craigs List, and reloading forums.

theblacknight
04-07-2012, 03:33 PM
eBay, Craigs List, and reloading forums.

Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.Not a big selection of used presses me thinks.

I am trying to reload to shoot more. I figure I need to have a 1-1 of rounds in comp/rounds in practice to not suck.Maybe I'll wait till I'm not in a apartment,or atleast a bigger one.

JV_
04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.People die, get divorced, lose interest in shooting, stop shooting for health reasons .... the list goes on and on.

Are there a ton? No, but good deals can be found.

Mike R
04-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I would take a used Dillon over something like the Lee or a turret in a heartbeat.

A 550 isn't that expensive compared to other shooting investments and it is very versatile. It is also easy to learn how to use and make any necessary adjustments to the reloading processes. At 600 rounds per month on a turret using the 150 rph figure we are talking about 48 hours per year. I can crank out pistol rounds on the 550 at about 450-500 rph (its hard to gauge exactly because I don't need to load for more than 30 minutes at a time). Call it 450, and that is 16 hrs loading per year. 32 hours of savings, even at minimum wage that is around 230 dollars. That should make up the difference between a new Dillon and the equipment needed for a turret press setup. Dillon's warranty means you will be able to use it for many years. Less risk and frustration too!

I think that most people who say good things about the Lee probably haven't used a Dillon. I don't mind lee dies, or lee bullet molds, but the progressives are terrible. I bought a Pro 1000 to load 45 and after running a single stage for pistol ammo. I am a bit of a gearhead, I have rebuilt LT1 V8s and other motors, transmissions, sport bikes, etc. It took me 8 hours to get the press running right. After that it took constant tweaking and care to ensure everything stayed operational. I still have a few bags of screwed up reloads from that press. I just accepted that it was finicky, and took a lot of love to keep it running (kinda like my Kimber, but without any of the desirable qualities of the 1911) and thought it was great, and said so on forums. I was wrong! I bought a Dillon so I could load rifle, and the Lee went into a box. It has never seen daylight again.

The Dillon is very simple and Glock-like. Yes, they do have parts that can break. The warranty takes care of that very quickly though. What I love most is it just keeps running and running. I haven't had to fiddle, jiggle, tap, or tug anything to get the press to perform all of its operations. It doesn't auto index but I find it is faster than the pro 1000 (which is auto indexing, has a case feeder, and I added the optional bullet feeder).

It might sound like I am chugging the Dillon koolaid, but if I am it is reluctantly. I tried to get the Lee to work. When it was running I had some perverse sense of satisfaction that I was making reloads on my cheap press "just as good" as those overzealous credit card wielding Dillon users. As expensive as components are these days running the Lee and trashing primers and cases is false economy. I don't mind Lee molds or pistol dies. My bench has blue, green, and red gear on it that are all good products. If it works it works. The Pro 1000 doesn't. There are plenty of sites that show modifications, tips and tricks for setting them up and keeping them running. I would rather make ammo than play press doctor.

JeffJ
04-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.Not a big selection of used presses me thinks.

I am trying to reload to shoot more. I figure I need to have a 1-1 of rounds in comp/rounds in practice to not suck.Maybe I'll wait till I'm not in a apartment,or atleast a bigger one.

There are a lot of people that decide to go from a Square Deal B to a 550 to a 650 to 1050 -- or decide they don't want to reload anymore, or lose their job and need cash or whatever. They are definatly out there, check out the classifieds at Brian Enos or your local shooting forum. It's just like anything else, people have them and then they sell them. I don't know why that would be any more shady than a used pistol or car or washing machine.

John Hearne
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?

Keep you eyes open. I picked up mine on a private e-mail list for Gunsite Grads. I ran the 550 I bought for 4-5 years and then sent it back to Dillon to be rehabbed. IIRC, I paid $500 for the 550 with dyes, tumbler, separator, bullet pullet, etc., etc....

1986s4
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
At the urging of a shooting buddy I bought a used Dillon SQB at a gun show in 1996. Best shooting investment I ever made, still using it. I don't see how a Dillon can lose it's value. If something breaks, they fix it. There are very few original parts left on mine and I never paid a dime for any of them.

bofe954
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
For about $700 you can have a square deal B set up for 9mm, tumbler, scale calipers and whatever you need, new. You may get tired of the square deal B, or branch out into other calibers. If you do you can sell it, Dillon raises prices every year. In 5 years you might sell it for what you paid.

For 10K rounds:

Cheap 9mm seems to be about $200 per case so $2000.

To reload premium ammo:

$975 for 11,250 montana 124gr JHP
$115 for 8lbs solo 1000
$260 for 10K CCI primers
$60 shipping
$700 dillon

equals $2110.

That's assuming you've been saving some brass. So 10K rounds you are about even. You have 1250 bullets left and plenty of powder, so for about $30 you can have another case. Your equipment is paid for and the next 10K rounds is $1400 vs $2K. You can also load a lot cheaper if you want. You could cut $300 if you could shoot lead.

The square deal B isn't the greatest, but it's a fast progressive press for pretty cheap. You may outgrow it and upgrade but if you use for a year or two you'll be more than even.

It is also a lot cheaper and easier to stockpile components than ammo, and when people are crying about no ammo on the shelf for whatever reason you can be at the range.

nwhpfan
04-19-2012, 02:10 AM
For about $700 you can have a square deal B set up for 9mm, tumbler, scale calipers and whatever you need, new. You may get tired of the square deal B, or branch out into other calibers. If you do you can sell it, Dillon raises prices every year. In 5 years you might sell it for what you paid.

For 10K rounds:

Cheap 9mm seems to be about $200 per case so $2000.

To reload premium ammo:

$975 for 11,250 montana 124gr JHP
$115 for 8lbs solo 1000
$260 for 10K CCI primers
$60 shipping
$700 dillon

equals $2110.

That's assuming you've been saving some brass. So 10K rounds you are about even. You have 1250 bullets left and plenty of powder, so for about $30 you can have another case. Your equipment is paid for and the next 10K rounds is $1400 vs $2K. You can also load a lot cheaper if you want. You could cut $300 if you could shoot lead.

The square deal B isn't the greatest, but it's a fast progressive press for pretty cheap. You may outgrow it and upgrade but if you use for a year or two you'll be more than even.

It is also a lot cheaper and easier to stockpile components than ammo, and when people are crying about no ammo on the shelf for whatever reason you can be at the range.

Here’s what I came up with making what I would consider quality ammunition.

To make 1k rounds:

11$ Powder (WSF) (a little more than a penny per round @ 3.7g per round)
80$ 1000k Precision 147g bullets (shipping included)
27$ 1000 CCI SPP
Brass, free

$118 per thousand
5.90 per 50
11.8 cents per shot.

$900; Dillon 550 BNIB + case prep tools and equipment (tumbler, media, etc) + scales, calipers, + every single thing one needs to load.

10k rounds = 1180 +900 = 2080.

The components I listed I would consider top notch. Depending on how much you shoot depends how much you'll benefit from reloading. If you shoot .45; you'll break even and save after your first couple thousand rounds. 9mm may take you a little longer. If you only shoot a few hundred a year; unless you want to make reloading a hobby and part of the fun all by itself-forget about it. If you practice a couple times a month; regularly compete there are some advantages to reloading.

If the cost savings aren't enough you can really save by using Tula primers, lighter/cheaper bullets, and less expensive powder. A quick search and math using Tula primers, bulk purchase of powder, and 115g cast bullets one could load 1k 9mm for $88!