PDA

View Full Version : Get Back To your Feet

Cecil Burch
06-17-2019, 06:23 PM
One of my hot buttons is when an internet commando/expert will comment on something and give advice that means zero because they don't tell you how to accomplish that feat. The moronic "don't go to the ground" (um, it may not be your idea where the fight goes so....), the "I will just get my gun out and shoot someone who is trying to wrestle me" are some of the most worn out ones, but a big one is "just get up" when you find yourself on the ground may be the single worst and most offensive.

It may well be a great idea, but how can we pull it off against an attacker who is adrenalized, has the initiative, is in the middle of violent action against us, and has already put us in a position we don't want to be in? That is hard and requires more thought than an insipid "just do it".

There are a number of ways to stand up, and here is a short video on one that I have found to be among the best. Why the best? Because it is easily learned, does not require a ton of attributes to pull off, and can be done even against a bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster opponent. I have been teaching this one for a really long time and have found very, very few people who cannot do it after a tiny bit of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKgnDS1xVg&t=4s

Grey
06-17-2019, 06:53 PM
One of my hot buttons is when an internet commando/expert will comment on something and give advice that means zero because they don't tell you how to accomplish that feat. The moronic "don't go to the ground" (um, it may not be your idea where the fight goes so....), the "I will just get my gun out and shoot someone who is trying to wrestle me" are some of the most worn out ones, but a big one is "just get up" when you find yourself on the ground may be the single worst and most offensive.

The ground is my scariest place to be so this is money. Thanks for putting this out there.

ford.304
06-18-2019, 11:30 AM
The best way to use this is to set up a better guard pull. ;-)

Seriously, though, it is amazing how powerful this move is. One of the guys I train with comes from a Wrestling/Judo/Japanese Jiu Jitsu background and pretty much only plays guard long enough to get back to this exact stand up. It feels practically impossible for me to keep him down once he gets space to make that structure.