PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Guns and Training in latest ACLDN Journal

HeadHunter
03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
I am the featured interviewee in the latest edition of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network Journal (http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-journal/260-april-2012). The topic is Appropriate Guns and Training.

UNK
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
I am the featured interviewee in the latest edition of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network Journal (http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-journal/260-april-2012). The topic is Appropriate Guns and Training.

Congratulations. That's quite an honor.

GJM
04-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Nice interview.

FotoTomas
04-01-2012, 03:44 AM
I enjoyed the read and appreciate that you support many of the concepts I have been touting to my friends, collegues and students.

MadMax17
04-01-2012, 02:16 PM
"Take home invasions, which almost by definition have more than one person involved. I’ve been compiling statistics on home invasions because being a quant, I accumulate data instead of making up scenarios. In many cases, what is going to happen is that the man is going to physically interpose himself in front of the intruders and the woman will have to be the shooter. It is a huge role reversal! I have incidences where the woman handled it beautifully and no member of the SEALs or Delta could have done better. Unfortunately, in another set of circumstances of which I know, the woman shot and killed her husband. So, I’m very interested in that concept of how we work together as a team, but that is very different from team tactics as taught in a military or police setting."

The idea of training as a couple is something I've not heard of before, but it's a pretty ingenious idea. Obviously very different from the dynamic entry, etc. that many places teach. Would love to see training groups offer this, as my wife and I would definitely take advantage of it!

David Armstrong
04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Great Job, Claude, and lots of good advice for the gunowner.

David Armstrong
04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
The idea of training as a couple is something I've not heard of before, but it's a pretty ingenious idea. Obviously very different from the dynamic entry, etc. that many places teach. Would love to see training groups offer this, as my wife and I would definitely take advantage of it!
Several programs offer that type of training. Thunder Ranch offers Defensive Team Tactics, for example.

JAD
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Several programs offer that type of training. Thunder Ranch offers Defensive Team Tactics, for example.

Their Home and Vehicle Defense class (which I've not taken yet) incorporates many concepts from Team Tactics (which I have). As a couple the Smiths are uniquely compelling.

Tamara
04-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Good interview. Thank you for linking that! :cool:

Nephrology
05-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Re: The student of yours with the .357 SIG who ended up with the Walther P22 - do you not think that a compromise could have been made? The Walther P22 is indeed pretty small, but there are other pistols out there in similar size profiles that come in 9 or .380. The walther PPS comes to mind, as does the beretta nano and the new M&P shield.

I just feel uncomfortable with the notion of recommending a .22 when many other guns in centerfire calibers fit a similar bill. Not even necessarily because of the caliber, but because of the inherently unreliable nature of the ammunition and the firearms chambered in them.

Great interview; but I am curious as to your thoughts as to whether you think that there are times when you should draw a line.

HeadHunter
05-03-2012, 06:26 AM
I think that's as much as he was ready for and capable of using effectively. I could have had him use my Kel Tec PF9, which has the same general profile as the PPS. The people that I have had shoot that gun like it even less than an Airweight J frame from the standpoint of recoil. There's no getting around the physics of it. More "power" means more concussion and recoil.

Serenity
05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Great interview. I am reading as much as I can on the social aspects of carrying because I am married to an Apathetic (supportive of shooting for sport but slightly contemptuous of carrying).