PDA

View Full Version : Oberlin college versus local store

LittleLebowski
06-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Basically SJW idiot employees of local college try to smear local store as "racist" for catching shoplifters. Oberlin college employee prints lies about local store, organizes "resistance" and...the evidence of the college attempting to smear the local business is overwhelming. College is paying out the ass now.

Previous racism hoax at Oberlin (https://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/the-great-oberlin-college-racism-hoax-of-2013/)

Background data on this kerfuffle (https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/11/gibsons-bakery-sues-oberlin-college-over-racial-profiling-accusations-oberlin-cuts-business-ties/)

Latest bad news for the college (https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-hit-with-maximum-punitive-damages-capped-at-22-million-by-law-in-gibsons-bakery-case/)

Clusterfrack
06-13-2019, 04:30 PM
This is excellent. Thanks for posting.

BillSWPA
06-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Glad the bakery won. I have to question whether a college that would do such a thing has employees with the necessary intelligence to carry out higher education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart Carter
06-13-2019, 04:48 PM
They attended Professor Smollet's class. :p

Gray01
06-13-2019, 04:56 PM
Academia are the FOB's of the communists.

The revolution might not be televised, but it will be tweeted, booked and tubed.

Norville
06-13-2019, 05:32 PM
The WSJ had a piece on this earlier this week. Good to see the outcome in favor of the store owners.

JohnO
06-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Great job Jury! Slapped that liberal hotbed right in the dick.

okie john
06-13-2019, 06:08 PM
This is truly most excellent news: consequences for the kind of weaponized defamation that the American left considers its private means of punishing those who disagree with it.

But I've got to beef the plaintiff's attorney on one point:

Plakas repeatedly told the jury that this was bigger than them, and that they could make a statement to the country “that this type of behavior is unacceptable to any community because a big collegiate institution like Oberlin College has a responsibility to their community and neighbors, and not just to themselves.”

Almost, counselor. A big collegiate institution like Oberlin College has a responsibility to the truth.

Okie John

Totem Polar
06-13-2019, 06:39 PM
“Oberlin College tried to sacrifice a beloved 5th-generation bakery, its owners, and its employees, at the altar of political correctness in order to appease the campus ‘social justice warfare’ mob. The jury sent a clear message that the truth matters, and so do the reputations and lives of people targeted by false accusations, particularly when those false accusations are spread by powerful institutions. Throughout the trial the Oberlin College defense was tone-deaf and demeaning towards the bakery and its owners, calling the bakery nearly worthless. The jury sent a message that all lives matter, including the lives of ordinary working people who did nothing wrong other than stop people from stealing.”

33mil, plus attorneys fees, depending on the legal cap. That is a serious can of whoop-ass.

For that sort of dough, the plaintiffs could now conceivably have their name on a small building in Oberlin’s journalism school, and dedicate the classrooms in there to reporting the truth.
#radicalideas

Clusterfrack
06-13-2019, 06:46 PM
33mil, plus attorneys fees, depending on the legal cap. That is a serious can of whoop-ass.

For that sort of dough, the plaintiffs could now conceivably have their name on a small building in Oberlin’s journalism school, and dedicate the classrooms in there to reporting the truth.
#radicalideas

Or they could tell Oberlin to go fuck themselves and the horse they rode. That might be enough to put the college under, especially if the press is bad.

Edit: never mind. Their endowment is $850M.

Totem Polar
06-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Or they could tell Oberlin to go fuck themselves and the horse they rode. That might be enough to put the college under, especially if the press is bad.

Yeah, they can afford whatever the cap finally comes to. The thing that gets me: the rich, white, twice-yale educated president who, heh, presided over the growth of the faux outrage culture there from 07-17, is off getting paid an ass-ton of dough as president du jour somewhere else; he won’t feel a dime of pain. The settlement won’t come out of the salaries of Diversity VPs, assistants, secretaries or spokespersons, either.

It’ll come from scholarship awards for poor kids, and reduced adjunct course lines. Nice job, Oberlin... real egalitarian of y’all.

;)

BillSWPA
06-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Yeah, they can afford whatever the cap finally comes to. The thing that gets me: the rich, white, twice-yale educated president who, heh, presided over the growth of the faux outrage culture there from 07-17, is off getting paid an ass-ton of dough as president du jour somewhere else; he won’t feel a dime of pain. The settlement won’t come out of the salaries of Diversity VPs, assistants, secretaries or spokespersons, either.

It’ll come from scholarship awards for poor kids, and reduced adjunct course lines. Nice job, Oberlin... real egalitarian of y’all.

;)

Then those students who might have received financial aid will be forced to attend a school which is actually capable of educating them.

Gray01
06-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Using the old "outcome based education" mantra, I will advance that every student who "suffers" by not being able to attend Oberlin (or anyplace like it) is actually obtaining a thinly disguised blessing.

And so is society, by hopefully not receiving additional polezniye duraki.

Totem Polar
06-13-2019, 09:55 PM
Then those students who might have received financial aid will be forced to attend a school which is actually capable of educating them.

Maybe... but the dollar-value state places in my region of the country are every bit as bad.

Drang
06-13-2019, 11:04 PM

Which is chum change in the higher-education endowment universe.

Yung
06-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Doesn't prevent them from acting otherwise.

Oberlin College to Jury: We’re cash poor and big punitive award to Gibson’s Bakery will hurt students
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-to-jury-were-cash-poor-and-big-punitive-award-to-gibsons-bakery-will-hurt-students/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, though, it comes down to the jury. And if they see malice as part of what Oberlin College did in their libeling of Gibson’s.

“You have spoken,” said Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Kuznicki Zidar to the jury. “You have sent a profound message. We have heard you, and believe me, colleges across the country have heard you,” She also looked at the Gibson family and said, “The college doesn’t hate you.”

Zincwarrior
06-14-2019, 07:52 AM
“Oberlin College tried to sacrifice a beloved 5th-generation bakery, its owners, and its employees, at the altar of political correctness in order to appease the campus ‘social justice warfare’ mob. The jury sent a clear message that the truth matters, and so do the reputations and lives of people targeted by false accusations, particularly when those false accusations are spread by powerful institutions. Throughout the trial the Oberlin College defense was tone-deaf and demeaning towards the bakery and its owners, calling the bakery nearly worthless. The jury sent a message that all lives matter, including the lives of ordinary working people who did nothing wrong other than stop people from stealing.”

#radicalideas

I am sure this will be appealed and the appellate court will reduce this to a few hundred grand. But its a fair win.

BillSWPA
06-14-2019, 08:33 AM
I am sure this will be appealed and the appellate court will reduce this to a few hundred grand. But its a fair win.

Given what happened, the length of time that it went on, the damaged reputations, the lost business, and the likely expenses of running such a business, I suspect that $11 million in compensatory damages was easily and correctly found by the jury. The appeals court will give some reference to the trial court on findings of fact, and will uphold them if a reasonable fact finder could have ruled that way, even if they think they would have ruled differently. I would not predict a big change unless there is was some big mistake at trial.

The most likely issue for appeal is the extent to which Oberlin bears responsibility for everything that happened. I would predict that the verdict will be affirmed.

Zincwarrior
06-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Given what happened, the length of time that it went on, the damaged reputations, the lost business, and the likely expenses of running such a business, I suspect that $11 million in compensatory damages was easily and correctly found by the jury. The appeals court will give some reference to the trial court on findings of fact, and will uphold them if a reasonable fact finder could have ruled that way, even if they think they would have ruled differently. I would not predict a big change unless there is was some big mistake at trial.

The most likely issue for appeal is the extent to which Oberlin bears responsibility for everything that happened. I would predict that the verdict will be affirmed.

Your faith in the legal system is far far higher than mine. Thats ok, you could be right.

LittleLebowski
06-14-2019, 09:32 AM
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/05/gibsons-bakery-v-oberlin-college-trial-day-1-it-was-a-mob-mentality-out-there/

Retired African-American Police Officer – “Gibson’s treated me just like they treat everyone else”

Henry Wallace, the city’s police department’s community service officer from 1984 to 2017, and who is also an African-American, told the jury “Gibson’s treated me just like they treat everyone else. They always treated everyone fairly and without any malice, and I say that because I have known them for more than 50 years.”

LittleLebowski
06-14-2019, 09:40 AM
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/05/gibsons-bakery-v-oberlin-college-trial-day-3-to-unleash-the-students-or-not-that-was-the-question/

Clarence “Trey” James, an African-American who had worked at the store since 2013, first denied that any racism existed in either the store’s treatment of its customers, or how he has been treated. “Never, not even a hint,” James said. “Zero reason to believe, zero evidence of that.”

James said he had moved to Oberlin from Cleveland to have a better family life for his young daughter. He is a single-father of a teenager, and he said that he and his daughter were invited over Dave Gibson’s house for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

BillSWPA
06-14-2019, 10:03 AM
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/05/gibsons-bakery-v-oberlin-college-trial-day-3-to-unleash-the-students-or-not-that-was-the-question/

So by trying to harm this business, Oberlin was harming the jobs of the very people they claimed to have defended.

Joe in PNG
06-14-2019, 10:30 AM
So by trying to harm this business, Oberlin was harming the jobs of the very people they claimed to have defended.

Nothing new. Those into radical virtue signaling are only interested in making themselves look good and righteous.

They don't especially care if it hurts other people or the cause they are supposed to be helping. That's not the issue.

okie john
06-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Looks like the jury REALLY didn’t like Oberin’s case.

https://www.apnews.com/a9b095a4bf9040ed86b814fc9f889c0f

CLEVELAND (AP) — Owners of a market in a famously liberal town were awarded $44 million in damages this week in their lawsuit claiming Oberlin College hurt their business and libeled them in a case some observers said embodied racial hypersensitivity and political correctness run amok.

Okie John

vcdgrips
06-14-2019, 03:47 PM
I am not your lawyer. I am not giving legal advice. Any opinion expressed are personal and are not those of any employer, past, present or future. I am not licensed in Ohio.

Max recovery a this point may only be 33 million as punies are likely capped at 2x actual damages.

BUT An appeal bond on 33 million is likely to be 2% per yr. Statutory interest on a judgement in Ohio is 4% per yr. Cost of defense to date and costs of the appeal will be 7 figures.

Therefore it will likely cost Oberlin 3-5 million just to play this appeal out.

A loss on appeal and the passage of time could cost Oberlin close to 40 million.

Oberlin should be trying to make this go away ASAP, high seven figures. (As in sub 10 million), certified funds to the plaintiffs in 24 hrs with a serious mutual non disclosure, no further comment agreement.

BillSWPA
06-14-2019, 03:59 PM
I am not your lawyer. I am not giving legal advice. Any opinion expressed are personal and are not those of any employer, past, present or future. I am not licensed in Ohio.

Max recovery a this point may only be 33 million as punies are likely capped at 2x actual damages.

BUT An appeal bond on 33 million is likely to be 2% per yr. Statutory interest on a judgement in Ohio is 4% per yr. Cost of defense to date and costs of the appeal will be 7 figures.

Therefore it will likely cost Oberlin 3-5 million just to play this appeal out.

A loss on appeal and the passage of time could cost Oberlin close to 40 million.

Oberlin should be trying to make this go away ASAP, high seven figures. (As in sub 10 million), certified funds to the plaintiffs in 24 hrs with a serious mutual non disclosure, no further comment agreement.

I agree with everything you said but if I were the bakery’s lawyer I would advise them not to settle for an amount that far below the jury award.

Settling for a lower amount makes sense if there are issues that have a legitimate chance of success on appeal or if the ability of the defendant to actually come up with the $ is in question.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Total award was $44M. The Chronicle of Higher Ed. has a good article but it's behind the paywall. Basic points:

1. The school may not be responsible for the students.
2. The faculty opinion is in a gray area of free speech but the faculty using school equipment and computing resources does fall on Oberlin. The faculty being agents of the school is gray.
3. The Dean is an agent of the school and thus Oberlin is responsible for that involvement.

The case is an important precedent for faculty free speech when the faculty member invokes his or her involvement with the school in the discussion and tries to organize responses from students using school resources.

LittleLebowski
06-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Total award was $44M. The Chronicle of Higher Ed. has a good article but it's behind the paywall. Basic points:

2. The faculty opinion is in a gray area of free speech but the faculty using school equipment and computing resources does fall on Oberlin. The faculty being agents of the school is gray.
3. The Dean is an agent of the school and thus Oberlin is responsible for that involvement.

The case is an important precedent for faculty free speech when the faculty member invokes his or her involvement with the school in the discussion and tries to organize responses from students using school resources.

I wonder if it was a school bullhorn that Meredith Raimondo (https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/meredith-raimondo-5-fast-facts-you-need-to-know/) was using :D.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-14-2019, 04:59 PM
That and others: http://www.chroniclet.com/cops-and-courts/2019/04/19/Gibson-39-s-Oberlin-suit-moves-forward.html

Bunch of idiots.

From the Chronicle , behind the pay wall on implications for colleges:

Lake, the Stetson law professor, said the implications of the case could be “staggering” if the verdict is upheld.

“Colleges are caught in an impossible situation unless something is resolved,” he said. “On the one hand, they’re being ordered by the president of the United States to create a marketplace of ideas on campus and protect speech broadly. But then doing so could get you sued for defamation.”

Lake said a clear understanding of the legacy of this case won’t emerge until an appellate court’s review. It’s unclear what the college’s next step is. What’s already clear, he said, is that colleges are entering a new era of media-related lawsuits and must determine how meet the challenges.

“Because we weren’t really ever cast in the role of being The New York Times or NBC, you could kind of get away with not knowing media law well,” Lake said. “But this is a game-changer. Academic freedom is not blanket freedom from libel. Just because you work at a college doesn’t mean you have special privileges that other media defendants don’t.”

UNK
06-14-2019, 05:07 PM
That and others: http://www.chroniclet.com/cops-and-courts/2019/04/19/Gibson-39-s-Oberlin-suit-moves-forward.html

Bunch of idiots.

From the Chronicle , behind the pay wall on implications for colleges:

The college condoned and participated. Not the same thing as free speech? It would be the best ever if the bakery took some of those funds and sued individuals involved. Right now there is no personal accountability or pain.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-14-2019, 05:10 PM
You sue who has deep pockets. Do the students and/or faculty-administrators have enough to go after them on a contingency basis? Now, individual administrators might carry a personal, malpractice policy for a million. I did when I had those responsibilities.

Suing is not easy and costs a buck if not contingency.

UNK
06-14-2019, 05:16 PM
You sue who has deep pockets. Do the students and/or faculty-administrators have enough to go after them on a contingency basis? Now, individual administrators might carry a personal, malpractice policy for a million. I did when I had those responsibilities.

Suing is not easy and costs a buck if not contingency.

With 30+ million in my pocket IGAF. Declare war. Im like the opposite style of social justice warrior.

Gray01
06-14-2019, 05:22 PM
I wonder if it was a school bullhorn that Meredith Raimondo (https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/meredith-raimondo-5-fast-facts-you-need-to-know/) was using :D.

Another similar exposition of that which is now called education: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/06/will-oberlin-learn-its-lesson.php

Gray01
06-14-2019, 05:27 PM
"Lake, the Stetson law professor, said the implications of the case could be “staggering” if the verdict is upheld."

Well, one would hope that is the case.

Metaphorically speaking, dismembered, burned and the ashes scattered might suffice.

Gray01
06-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Chaos, disorder and destruction is intended. It is an inherent attribute of their dialectic.

UNK
06-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Metaphorically speaking, dismembered, burned and the ashes scattered might suffice.

Well put. In a more literal sense extreme financial cost, hardship and emotional distress.

Totem Polar
06-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Man, I’m getting flashbacks. We had a title IX director that arrived to the position in similar fashion as Dr. Raimondo at the local state place. Thing is, a PhD doesn’t automatically make one a competent investigator. The title IX office got razed after a lawsuit by a student resulted in a fat settlement, and the U ended up replacing the young PhD with hoary ex-Fed with 17 years LE sex crimes experience and lots of big U title IX experience.

Straight up: I’m all in favor of people getting PhDs in Interdisciplinary studies, and taking teaching positions in classrooms at liberal arts places, if they can find a spot; that’s where the world of ideas belongs.

That said, where shit regularly and predictably goes sideways is when those PhDs take their training into arenas where their expertise leaves them wholly unprepared for the job promotion, eg. deans, student services, title IX compliance. I’ve seen issues over and over with this, and for good reason. I mean, I am by all accounts an incredible music teacher, and I couldn’t imagine the specialized aspects of that craft being of any use in a legal context, aside from the ability to read and write above a rudimentary level. It’s like expecting a 5-star chef to be able to run a gymnastics studio; the management similarities may look copatible on paper if you’re an idiot, but c’mon. Recipe for disaster. It’s amazing how many Us get handed their ass as soon as outside eyes look at the legal issues. Oberlin is just a famous and hyper-sized version of shit going on everywhere, most of which never makes the papers. JMO

With 30+ million in my pocket IGAF. Declare war. Im like the opposite style of social justice warrior.

We can hang out. A few mil is enough to make life miserable for a baker’s dozen asshats, without even dealing with annoying phone calls yourself. Unleash the dogs, and go have a margarita on Catalina Island. Somebody will let you know when the asshats go broke.

okie john
06-14-2019, 05:47 PM
What’s already clear, he said, is that colleges are entering a new era of media-related lawsuits and must determine how meet the challenges.

Damn straight colleges are entering a new era. It’s one in which the American left—starting with higher ed and the media itself—can no longer make the truth whatever they want it to be, then annoint themselves judge, jury, and executioner of anyone disagrees with them.

Fuck them all. It’s high time that their reign of terror came to an end.

Okie John

blues
06-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Damn straight colleges are entering a new era. It’s one in which the American left—starting with higher ed and the media itself—can no longer make the truth whatever they want it to be, then annoint themselves judge, jury, and executioner of anyone disagrees with them.

Fuck them all. It’s high time that their reign of terror came to an end.

Okie John

I watched CNN (faux) journalist Jim Sciutto attempt to accomplish just that with a Congressman or Senator this morning. He is a cad with no redeeming quality. He seems much worse in that regard of late.

He won no hearts or minds in this household.

Gray01
06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
He won no hearts or minds in this household.

That saying goes back to my time, when the choices were hearts and minds, or huts...:cool:

willie
06-14-2019, 06:58 PM
In Appalachia white Americans seem to be over represented among that group whose members are arrested for shoplifting and petty theft crimes. Their common denominator is lower socioeconomic-economic status. Generalizing from my experience working with minority students and addressing situations observed only within the sample within my sphere, I conclude that minority students are over represented among persons arrested for shoplifting. Once again, lower socioeconomic-economic status is the common denominator. In February, 1975, I sat around a small table and interacted with Jesse Jackson’s chief of staff who stressed that teen pregnancy drives the cycle of poverty resulting in so many of the ills affecting minorities. That was the last time that I heard this idea discussed. However, I have sat in countless meeting where academic deficiencies of minority students were laid at the feet of teachers who could not work with minority students. In my high school exams were given in January when kids returned after winter break. Large numbers of students would forget their class schedules including subjects and names of their teachers. Thus, exams had to be given before holidays began. Reason given was teachers who could not work with minority students. Oddly, these kids forgot their teachers and subjects taken regardless of their teachers’ race.

Gray01
06-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Unleash the dogs...Somebody will let you know when the asshats go broke.

Although I am not a French Davidian, with credit to blind squirrels he (David French) get this much: "...I compared the verdict to the kind of sound that causes prairie dogs to stand alert — suddenly, lawyers are paying attention."

Gray01
06-14-2019, 07:15 PM
students...students...teen...students...kids...stu dents....kids

Just distill the subjects of the issue.

In former times it was expected that the instant demographic did not have choices or options; they had direction and requirements, with pain delivered for failure. That so much honor is paid to a vast pool of ignorance (the inherent attribute of youth) is another symptom of the devolution of the culture. Anyone who is honest and candid will admit to what they knew at the age of 18; only the self-deceived will suggest that they were worthy of consultation regarding anything except maybe if their shoes did not fit.

BillSWPA
06-14-2019, 08:36 PM

I don't see the free speech implications at all.

Defamation has always been outside the limits of free speech. When that defamation is specifically intended to harm a business, the damage that can be done is quite foreseeable to those involved.

Employers have, for a long time, been responsible cor employees acting within the scope of their employment, even if those employees are not agents of the organization. If they were acting in their role as faculty, then yes, the school is responsible. Nothing new here.

This liability is even clearer when those employees are the ones who run the show on a day to day basis and have authority as agents of the organization. I cannot imagine a clearer case than what happened here - high ranking university officials directing and participating in some of the defamatory actions.

When the school is specifically encouraging and assisting the students, yes, they are responsible for the actions of the students. Nothing new here.

The only thing new here is that the left got yet another reminder that it is not okay to harm people because they disagree with the left's alternate reality version of the truth.

blues
06-14-2019, 08:55 PM
That saying goes back to my time, when the choices were hearts and minds, or huts...:cool:

I still have my draft card from 1970. That's as far as I got. I pulled a high number in the lottery.

ralph
06-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Having actually driven through Oberlin on my way home for the weekends, when I lived on that side of the state, and observing the students wandering the streets, I can honestly say that Oberlin College could be summed up in two words..freak show.. Oberlin is a school that dosen't educate..they indoctrinate.. Anyone who would send their kids to Oberlin should understand that when the kid graduates from there, there's a reasonable chance that he'll be borderline mentally ill, and at a minium, unable to think at a critical level.. Oberlin College should be burned to the ground..

ETA..
watched this on Fox news last night, when they commented on this and they ended by saying that since the verdict was handed down, the college has sent out a student wide e-mail, where the school states that "this isn't over" and they plan to continue to fight it..I figure that since the school has way more money than the bakery, they'll just keep tying things up via the appeal process, they could probably drag this out for years.. I'm guessing the plan is to drag this out, and run the bakery out of business..Just another reason, IMO that Oberlin College should be burnt to the ground..

vcdgrips
06-15-2019, 01:07 PM
My daughter (a rising soph. in college) is an alpha female of the highest order. Rather liberal as the product of 14 years at a private college prep midwest day school where her mother was on faculty. Editor of the school newspaper, all state track, Girl Scout Gold Award, Homecoming Queen 97%+ on ACT and SAT subject matter tests etc. She spoke to the regional Oberlin rep at her school visit in the early fall. Oberlin liked her so much they flew her in to visit, all but said that she would be admitted and gave us "preliminary" financial aid award that was quite generous. She came back from the visit intrigued by the side by side "college" and "conservatory", excited by the kids she met, but stated that "it may be a bit too liberal, even for me."

She applied and was accepted with an even better award than originally projected. On her admitted student visit, her concerns fully materialized re the completely over the top PC nature of the school as first evidenced by the way they were instructed to introduce themselves--"Hello my name is Jane, my preferred pronouns are she, her etc." It only went more PC/Hyper liberal from there

She recognized the intellectual iron sharpens iron and even as a liberal, sparring with only liberals was not going to make her any sharper going forward. She stated that many students she met were so liberal that "the rose colored glasses they wear must be giving them thorns." She found the PC/Liberal nature of the school to the extreme, even when compared to Carlton, Barnard, MU, UVA and the ivies she visited and or was admitted to.

What is legal, just and maintainable after appeal to the Ohio and/or USSC may be at least three different things. Oberlin has and will have to spend real money to appeal these verdicts.
They should be looking to cut losses sooner v. later.

ralph
06-15-2019, 06:44 PM
My daughter (a rising soph. in college) is an alpha female of the highest order. Rather liberal as the product of 14 years at a private college prep midwest day school where her mother was on faculty. Editor of the school newspaper, all state track, Girl Scout Gold Award, Homecoming Queen 97%+ on ACT and SAT subject matter tests etc. She spoke to the regional Oberlin rep at her school visit in the early fall. Oberlin liked her so much they flew her in to visit, all but said that she would be admitted and gave us "preliminary" financial aid award that was quite generous. She came back from the visit intrigued by the side by side "college" and "conservatory", excited by the kids she met, but stated that "it may be a bit too liberal, even for me."

She applied and was accepted with an even better award than originally projected. On her admitted student visit, her concerns fully materialized re the completely over the top PC nature of the school as first evidenced by the way they were instructed to introduce themselves--"Hello my name is Jane, my preferred pronouns are she, her etc." It only went more PC/Hyper liberal from there

She recognized the intellectual iron sharpens iron and even as a liberal, sparring with only liberals was not going to make her any sharper going forward. She stated that many students she met were so liberal that "the rose colored glasses they wear must be giving them thorns." She found the PC/Liberal nature of the school to the extreme, even when compared to Carlton, Barnard, MU, UVA and the ivies she visited and or was admitted to.

What is legal, just and maintainable after appeal to the Ohio and/or USSC may be at least three different things. Oberlin has and will have to spend real money to appeal these verdicts.

Sounds like your daughter dodged a bullet there.
Cutting their losses and moving on is something that liberals of this extreme aren't capable of doing, just like a 3 year old, they want a "do over" when things don't go their way.. IMO, these people really are borderline mentally ill.

JohnO
06-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Coming from a homeschooling household my daughter was given a short list of what we considered acceptable colleges. She had the credentials to go anywhere. She crushed the SAT in 5th grade and did high school in 3 years. We were very pleased when she visited and decided on Hillsdale College. She could have easily been 20 miles away at Yale however I happily drove her stuff the 720 miles to Hillsdale.

JAD
06-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Coming from a homeschooling household my daughter was given a short list of what we considered acceptable colleges. She had the credentials to go anywhere. She crushed the SAT in 5th grade and did high school in 3 years. We were very pleased when she visited and decided on Hillsdale College. She could have easily been 20 miles away at Yale however I happily drove her stuff the 720 miles to Hillsdale.

Well done sir.

JAD
06-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Sounds like your daughter dodged a bullet there.

Maybe. I was pretty liberal when I arrived at the U of Iowa, often referred to as the Berkeley of the Midwest. By the time I bailed out of the writer’s workshop three years later, I cut my hair, got a job, and scraped the bumper stickers off my car.

AKDoug
06-16-2019, 12:02 AM

Nice job. I wish my children had excelled well enough to go to Hillsdale. However, they are doing fine. One graduated from a small college yesterday. I sat through a four hour graduation ceremony where the entire thing was interpreted into Spanish, so it took twice as long. Two of the speeches were about the advancements of LBGT rights. One speech apologizing for taking Native American lands for the grounds of the college and a commencement speaker who’s entire point was don’t worry about getting a job, just follow your dreams. Parents walked out in droves. I stuck through the whole thing, but it sucked. I don’t have a huge issue with the points above, but they shouldn’t have been the focus of the evening. Not one mention of any sort of academic excellence or acknowledging any of the honor students were made. That really bothered me. My daughter wouldn’t even had been mentioned as she was a middle of the pack graduate, but I felt bad for those parents that had excellent students.

My daughter’s attitude was “thank God I’m not giving any more money to this place”.

Gray01
06-16-2019, 01:23 PM
I was pretty liberal when...

I was also, upon graduating from H.S.

At that point I viewed academia as a bunch of dirty, long-haired dope-smoking pinko cowards.

As my understanding grew, I discovered that my view of them was wrong.

They are much worse than I thought.

Gray01
06-16-2019, 01:28 PM
It is an old one. The only discussion is the price of the transaction.

U.S. University "contributions"

Qatar $1,024,065,043
England $761,586,394
Saudi Arabia $613,608,797
China $426,526,085
Canada $402,535,603
Hong Kong $394,446,859

FBI Director Christopher Wray said “I think the level of naïveté on the part of the academic sector about this creates its own issues.”

I will advance that I think his level of naïveté regarding the "academic sector" betrays part of the problem.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/15/education-universities-foreign-cash/

LittleLebowski
08-01-2019, 09:27 PM
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/07/29/court-oberlin-college-must-post-36-million-bond-after-refusing-to-pay-judgement/

Bart Carter
08-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Well, I guess you can't just go around and persecute people because you don't like them. :p

Totem Polar
08-01-2019, 11:28 PM
So what is the upshot? Oberlin has to deed over a fat building or two to the court?

okie john
08-01-2019, 11:45 PM
They have an $800 million endowment. If they have to sell a couple of buildings to pay the judgement, then sell them. If they fold, then they fold. Few tears will fall. Playing by big-boy rules means that sometimes you lose.

In other words, fuck you, pay me.

Okie John

BillSWPA
04-01-2022, 03:35 PM
The monetary damage award against Oberlin was upheld in full by a unanimous appeals court.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2022/04/01/good-news-appeals-court-upholds-massive-legal-judgment-against-woke-college-for-defaming-local-business-n2605372

Unfortunately David Gibson has passed away from cancer, but the business is preserved for his family and employees.

RoyGBiv
12-16-2022, 08:14 AM
Gibson's finally gets paid... :cool:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/12/finally-the-gibsons-bakery-family-has-been-paid-by-oberlin-college/

JohnO
12-16-2022, 11:42 AM

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/12/finally-the-gibsons-bakery-family-has-been-paid-by-oberlin-college/

Time to put their money where their mouth was!

Pay up sucker, you have it.

https://www.oberlin.edu/investment/assets-and-performance#:~:text=Endowment%20Market%20Value,an% 20increase%20of%20%24335.8%20million.

Endowment Market Value
Total endowed funds as of June 30, 2021, were $1,272.4 million, as compared to $936.6 million the previous year—an increase of $335.8 million.

Clusterfrack
12-16-2022, 12:10 PM

Huh. Strange how that wasn't in any of the mainstream news I read.