PDA

View Full Version : A bit much, even for PDX

Drang
06-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Church Hosts Summer Camp to Train Grade School Kids to Be Antifa Activists (https://pjmedia.com/parenting/church-hosts-summer-camp-to-train-grade-school-kids-to-be-antifa-activists/)

Budding Roses is a volunteer-run collective of educators, students, and activists who provide free social justice summer camps and year-round workshops for Portland-area youth in 4th-8th grade.

Camp Philosophy

Our goal is to provide a free, safe and encouraging space for youth to learn, express themselves, and engage critically with the issues they encounter individuals and as a group. We strive to help them cultivate the necessary tools to be active members of our communities through experiences of collective decision-making and democratic education. At camp, youth of all ages play a leadership role alongside adult counselors and make collective decisions about the activities and format of the day. Each day opening and closing assemblies provide a space for youth and counselors to democratically plan activities for the day, resolve conflicts, and build interpersonal leadership skills.

Daily Activities

Include a combination of community-building activities, discussions on social justice topics, interactive workshops, movies, arts, games, and free time. Workshops and discussions are often held in collaboration with local activists and community organizations. In the past two summers, we have worked with the Burgerville Workers Union, Critical Resistance PDX, the Transformative Lenses Collective, and DUG (Deep Underground)!

Building Solidarity

In our work we strive to be a resource for both the campers, their families, and the broader community. With funding from the Black Rose Anarchist Federation, an online fundraising campaign, and in-kind donations of space, supplies, and services we were able to offer two hot meals a day, school supplies, and a back-to-school haircut for youth last summer. In addition to this we hope that with the skills, ideas and support found at Budding Roses, each camper is empowered to make a lasting positive change in their community.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Are they advertising for firearms instructors?

Totem Polar
06-12-2019, 09:37 PM
...and a back-to-school haircut for youth last summer.

Clusterfrack
06-12-2019, 10:28 PM
When I see stuff like this, I think: “less competition for my kids when they enter the job market.”

Poconnor
06-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a Molotov cocktail accident waiting to happen

cheby
06-13-2019, 12:58 PM
When I see stuff like this, I think: “less competition for my kids when they enter the job market.”

I think it is not that obvious. In the future where we are moving quickly, the job markets will not be occupied based on merits. Instead, the preference will be given to those most "woke" or to the members of the preferred intersectional groups. It is already happening in the government and universities. It will result in inevitable degradation as it happened everywhere else before. I am very pessimistic about this. I have seen it before.

Clusterfrack
06-13-2019, 01:23 PM
We’ll see... I hope you are overly pessimistic but I get why you are.

So far, my girls have done well for themselves by working hard and not getting distracted by social justice, identity politics, and activism.

Totem Polar
06-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Man, I have to say that cheby is just spot on, at least so far as any arts, letters, and education colleges within all the universities I’ve been involved in—and I’ve attended 3, been on faculty at three, and clinician worked a half-dozen others. That shit is quickly becoming an anti meritocracy, save for the few remaining areas where quantifiable skill on demand is still called for during the regular course of activities.

Gray01
06-13-2019, 05:05 PM
That shit is quickly becoming an anti meritocracy, save for the few remaining areas where quantifiable skill on demand is still called for during the regular course of activities.

quantifiable skill on demand

It used to be that a "quantifiable skill" was something similar to the service provided by men like plumbers, who afforded the ability to flush a toilet upon demand. San Francisco and Los Angeles is proof positive that those concepts are no longer a desired commodity.

When you have demi-cultures of filth consisting of 50k plus populations that are catered to and tolerated, if not overtly welcomed (by not removing them), there is no font of optimism to drink from.

Joe in PNG
06-14-2019, 06:33 AM
And the most wokest of businesses that hire based on political correctness will quickly go out of business.

However, the more competent will get more work and more business.

Show of hands- when looking for someone to fix your roof, auto brakes, or clogged toilet, who here tries to find the guy that lines up with their political beliefs? Or do you try to find the people offering the best ratio of speed/cost/competence?
People- even Leftist people!- still look for competence when spending money on themselves.

Drang
06-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Meanwhile, Andy Ngo (gay Asian-american journalist) is in the hospital, having been beaten and had his camera gear stolen by AntiFa while Portland PD stood by and did nothing.
(And "nothing" I mean that, according to Mr. Ngo, they declined to even take statement.)

Clusterfrack
06-29-2019, 10:06 PM
I’m so sick of downtown being taken over by these assholes. Fuck the bunch of ‘em. I wish PPD would be allowed to make a lot more arrests.

RoyGBiv
07-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Meanwhile, Andy Ngo (gay Asian-american journalist) is in the hospital, having been beaten and had his camera gear stolen by AntiFa while Portland PD stood by and did nothing.
(And "nothing" I mean that, according to Mr. Ngo, they declined to even take statement.)

Don't forget "conservative" in the description. I'd wager there were other gay and Asian journalists around that didn't get thrashed.

JodyH
07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Don't forget "conservative" in the description. I'd wager there were other gay and Asian journalists around that didn't get thrashed.
He's not "conservative" he's at most center left.

Claire Lehmann, editor-in-chief of the "Quillette", who he writes for put out a statement to that effect via Twitter:

Wtf kind of fact checking is this? Andy Ngo is indeed an editor with us, he is a journalist. And no @Quillette is not “conservative,” we are all political moderates of a liberal centrist persuasion

Casual Friday
07-01-2019, 10:14 AM
I’m so sick of downtown being taken over by these assholes. Fuck the bunch of ‘em. I wish PPD would be allowed to make a lot more arrests.

PPD has shown who they support by their inaction. Go take your city back.

willie
07-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a Molotov cocktail accident waiting to happen

I've been outed. That's me!

RoyGBiv
07-01-2019, 10:31 AM
He's not "conservative" he's at most center left.

Claire Lehmann, editor-in-chief of the "Quillette", who he writes for put out a statement to that effect via Twitter:

Relative to the Antifa morons, he's way Right.

Clusterfrack
07-01-2019, 10:58 AM
PPD has shown who they support by their inaction. Go take your city back.

Mayor Wheeler is a complete pussy, but Portland's weak mayor system of government (https://www.sightline.org/2017/06/14/7-key-questions-about-how-to-change-portland-city-government/) makes it hard to govern even if you are not a pussy.

I don't participate in demonstrations of any kind, and do not support either side of this shit show. Right wing trolls and a few neonazis vs. a violent anarchist mob? I'll stay home, or at least out of the area. Hopefully, pressure and publicity will result in PPD shifting policy toward a more active approach. I'd like to see 100 rioters arrested and booked, not just 3.

The best way to take the city back IMO is to support downtown businesses. There has already been obvious progress in clearing homeless out of some of the best neighborhoods (Pearl, Slabtown), although the mayor isn't publicizing it. New construction brings more paying customers, and things are looking better this year than in quite a while.

mmc45414
07-02-2019, 06:37 AM
I don't participate in demonstrations of any kind, and do not support either side of this shit show. Right wing trolls and a few neonazis vs. a violent anarchist mob? I'll stay home, or at least out of the area.
I live in the Dayton, OH area and recently, for reasons I do not know (probably because I have no care to research the bullshit) some Klan assholes from out of town decided to hold a rally here. The good news is that it turned into a big nothing burger, partially due to a pretty big spend on the city's part (hundreds of thousands), but I would also like to think because the "counter protests" were held elsewhere and promoted as positive events rather than confrontations. It really does seem as simple as defusing things by not showing up while it is going on.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Austin is heading for Portland, Seattle, California - https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/homeless/its-now-legal-for-homeless-to-camp-on-austin-streets/269-04fbfe58-7a28-4410-89a0-b876e9afda93

Abbott (gov) says he will take action though. These people are fools. We used to go Austin a lot for entertainment but not if it goes this way.

Clusterfrack
07-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Austin is heading for Portland, Seattle, California - https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/homeless/its-now-legal-for-homeless-to-camp-on-austin-streets/269-04fbfe58-7a28-4410-89a0-b876e9afda93

Abbott (gov) says he will take action though. These people are fools. We used to go Austin a lot for entertainment but not if it goes this way.

"It's now legal for homeless to camp on Austin streets...
Before the change, it was illegal to sit, lie or camp in public. Now, officers will only give tickets to people who block pathways."

Correction: It's now legal for anyone to camp on Austin streets, encouraging more people to live on the street.

Living on the street is becoming an attractive lifestyle, and it's ruining some of the best cities. If Austin's move signals a new trend, this is not a good sign.

BehindBlueI's
07-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Correction: It's now legal for anyone to camp on Austin streets, encouraging more people to live on the street.

Living on the street is becoming an attractive lifestyle, and it's ruining some of the best cities. If Austin's move signals a new trend, this is not a good sign.

Doesn't seem all that attractive to me, and I'm guessing that it's legality or illegality isn't a decision point for living on the street vs not. What you will get is migration of homeless from less "forward thinking" areas of the country.

I used to keep panhandlers off my beat with good success with a verbal warning, written ticket, obstruction of traffic arrest escalation. I only had to arrest two. Everyone else got it and moved to a less enforced area.

Clusterfrack
07-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Living on the street doesn’t seem attractive to me either, but approximately 1/3 of Portland homeless are homeless by choice. These are young, fit guys and girls who camp in fairly nice tents, have campfires in city parks, and do drugs and petty crimes. Some do more serious crimes. It’s a lifestyle.

Totem Polar
07-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Living on the street doesn’t seem attractive to me either, but approximately 1/3 of Portland homeless are homeless by choice. These are young, fit guys and girls who camp in fairly nice tents, have campfires in city parks, and do drugs and petty crimes. Some do more serious crimes. It’s a lifestyle.

Yeah, I’m not one to often counterpoint BBI on stuff like this, but I have to go with the locals on this one. The entire NW from SF up through Bellingham is filled with folks who’ve adopted the lifestyle. I doubt if it’s even close to the majority, but clusterfrack is correct, IME.

As an aside, I’ve been in Seattle 3 times on business in as many months, and the size and amount of tent city development is stunning. There is one off the side of I5, by the U-district’s main onramp. The first two times I went to merge onto I5–keep in mind that this is the major interstate running from the Mexican border to the Canadian one over here—from the main arterial into the U, I almost got a mixed-gender young homeless 2-pack splashed all over the rental car windshield. I don’t know about y’all, but when the light changes on a limited access ramp that goes a couple hundred feet before merging onto one of the Nation’s major interstate freeways, I typically don’t dally getting up to merging speed. These kids make a game of it, walking out of the bushes on the side of the ramp right in front of merging traffic as they cross the ramp from tent site to coffeeshop.

This last trip, being my third in as many months, I was ready for those reckless turds, so I crept out across the lanes to the ramp when I got the green light, and stopped casually for the scruffy kids playing chicken to pop up and cross, THEN roasted a little tire on this year’s Camry. I now know the game. Point being, these aren’t your generation’s homeless out here in the PacNW. It’s a different deal than 20 years ago.

As a partially-related aside, from another post here ( https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37304-How-Is-This-NOT-Suspicious-Behavior&p=898387&viewfull=1#post898387 )

http://christarzanclemens.com/2014/10/home-sweet-honda/

"I’ve been living in my car now for several weeks, parking it around town, sleeping incognito on the streets, and holding down a respectable professional life at the same time. When I tell people this they tend to fall into one of two camps…the “You’re crazy” camp, or the “You’re freaking awesome” camp. There have been more crazy votes than awesome votes, but I’m okay with that, I take that as an indication that I’m living right."

cheby
07-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Andy Ngo with Joe Rogan. Pretty good conversation:

https://youtu.be/Jyb2JhysVr4

Drang
07-17-2019, 12:41 AM
Tablet magazine: Portlandization: It Can Happen to a Place Near You
(https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/287751/good-luck-portland)When the crazies took over the city I loved, I knew it was time to get out
By Nancy Rommelmann

OlongJohnson
07-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I’m not one to often counterpoint BBI on stuff like this, but I have to go with the locals on this one. The entire NW from SF up through Bellingham is filled with folks who’ve adopted the lifestyle. I doubt if it’s even close to the majority, but clusterfrack is correct, IME.

http://christarzanclemens.com/2014/10/home-sweet-honda/

"I’ve been living in my car now for several weeks, parking it around town, sleeping incognito on the streets, and holding down a respectable professional life at the same time. When I tell people this they tend to fall into one of two camps…the “You’re crazy” camp, or the “You’re freaking awesome” camp. There have been more crazy votes than awesome votes, but I’m okay with that, I take that as an indication that I’m living right."

It's an important part of growing up to realize that the people Kerouac wrote about were largely shitbags, and Kerouac the man was a mama's boy wanna-be who basically wasn't capable of supporting himself to a reasonable standard or making his own path in the world - much like Thoreau. If the adventure and challenge of being poor doesn't stop being fun or interesting by one's mid-20s for someone inclined to think those tradeoffs have anything attractive about them in the first place, something is way wrong.

LittleLebowski
07-17-2019, 07:31 AM
Tablet magazine: Portlandization: It Can Happen to a Place Near You
(https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/287751/good-luck-portland)When the crazies took over the city I loved, I knew it was time to get out
By Nancy Rommelmann

That was really good, I recommend reading it.

mmc45414
07-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Not done yet, but if you didn't click the hyperlink go back and do it. I didn't get it at first...
http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/
"Portland and “artisanship” becoming synonymous & ubiquitous (and maybe spawning the hipster ampersand name thing—sorry!)."

Totem Polar
07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Andy Ngo with Joe Rogan. Pretty good conversation:

https://youtu.be/Jyb2JhysVr4

I agree.

I agree.

I guess I’m just in an agreeable mood today.

OlongJohnson
07-17-2019, 03:54 PM
It was interesting to me that her solution to Portland getting hot was to go back to New York.

Yung
08-06-2020, 07:09 AM
The Right of the People Peaceably to Assemble: Protecting Speech by Stopping Anarchist Violence

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/meetings/the-right-of-the-people-peaceably-to-assemble-protecting-speech-by-stopping-anarchist-violence

Please consider watching the whole tape in the link, but here are some excerpts from Mr. Ngo's YouTube.

https://youtu.be/0tNXomjObIA