PDA

View Full Version : Acro battery life thread

Pages : [1] 2

GJM
06-12-2019, 09:07 AM
I thought it might be helpful to have a dedicated thread where we recorded battery life experiences with the Acro.

Today, June 12, 2019 I put a new Renata battery in my EDC P10C Acro. I run it one click below maximum, and leave it on 24/7.

Grey
06-12-2019, 09:17 AM
I thought it might be helpful to have a dedicated thread where we recorded battery life experiences with the Acro.

Today, June 12, 2019 I put a new Renata battery in my EDC P10C Acro. I run it one click below maximum, and leave it on 24/7.

Just a thought, add any round counts that you put on the optic and if you have a infrared thermometer take some data of slide / housing temp.

StraitR
06-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Good idea G.

I put a new Renata battery (expiration of 11/2023) in my P1 on 06/05/19 and have been going between setting 7 in the evening and up to 8 in the mornings (2 and 3 clicks down from max). If not carrying it, like today, it will remain on setting 7 (3 down from max). No plans to turn it off.

Tokarev
06-12-2019, 10:01 AM
With a factory battery my ACRO ran about 8 days on full brightness.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GJM
06-12-2019, 10:34 AM
With a factory battery my ACRO ran about 8 days on full brightness.

I am hoping there was a problem with either your battery or Acro, as that is unacceptable, considering many to most are running the Acro one or two clicks down from max bright. Have you replaced the battery and started again?

Tokarev
06-12-2019, 11:35 AM
I am hoping there was a problem with either your battery or Acro, as that is unacceptable, considering many to most are running the Acro one or two clicks down from max bright. Have you replaced the battery and started again?I have not. I am hoping one of the other owners might try to duplicate my experiment.

GJM
06-13-2019, 09:35 PM
I learned something about battery nomenclature today. Using as an example a 2032, it basically means that the battery has a 20mm diameter and is 3.2mm thick.

Sigfan26
06-13-2019, 09:44 PM
I learned something about battery nomenclature today. Using as an example a 2032, it basically means that the battery has a 20mm diameter and is 3.2mm thick.

Kind of like old cartridges: 45-70 (.45 bullet, 70 grains black powder). Interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Just went to handle the first Acro I received, mounted to a G19 MOS upper. Based on when I posted a video here, that was about 30 days ago. Battery is dead — it was left on, one or two clicks down from max. I would say to turn it way down or off when not actively using the Acro.

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:20 AM
I just went and changed batteries on my other Acro equipped pistols, and turned them off. I am pissed off at Aimpoint, as this is unacceptable for how this product is intended to be used.

psalms144.1
06-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Well, $h1+ - that makes my life easier. SRO it is! I like the idea of the enclosed emitter, but, even 30 days of battery life isn't gonna cut it for a serious use optic...

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Just went to handle the first Acro I received, mounted to a G19 MOS upper. Based on when I posted a video here, that was about 30 days ago. Battery is dead — it was left on, one or two clicks down from max. I would say to turn it way down or off when not actively using the Acro.How long had it been since you last checked it? 30 days or somewhere in between then and now?

My eight day deal may not be unique after all although I was hoping it was.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:26 AM
Well, $h1+ - that makes my life easier. SRO it is! I like the idea of the enclosed emitter, but, even 30 days of battery life isn't gonna cut it for a serious use optic...Anyone tested SRO life yet on the highest setting/worst case scenario?

Ideally Trijicon used the well-established guts of the RMR but it could just as easily be something entirely new all the way around.

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:33 AM
How long had it been since you last checked it? 30 days or somewhere in between then and now?

My eight day deal may not be unique after all although I was hoping it was.

It has been probably a week since I looked at this Acro, so I don’t know. A month, one or two clicks down from max, maybe even less, is my best estimate of how long this Acro went.

HeavyDuty
06-14-2019, 08:33 AM
This is very discouraging. I had very high hopes for ACRO due to the closed emitter, but this level of battery performance isn’t going to cut it.

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:41 AM
I have been an extremely satisfied Aimpoint user for years, and have a few dozen or more of them, but this is not going to cut it for this product. I hope there is something about my unit, my battery, or something else I am missing, but if this is SOP for the Acro, I predict it is a total fail for LE/EDC. Also, changing the battery is a total PITA compared to the DP Pro. With the Acro, you need to be careful to use the right size flat blade to not bugger it up, the cap is small, the battery needs to be pried out, then you need to be careful not to cross thread it putting the cap back on. A battery change on the Acro is not something you want to do in a hurry or in low light or adverse conditions.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:44 AM
From what I recall of Aimpoint's literature the ACRO will run over a year on the middle setting. Can there really be that much additional draw going up a few clicks in brightness?

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:51 AM
From what I recall of Aimpoint's literature the ACRO will run over a year on the middle setting. Can there really be that much additional draw going up a few clicks in brightness?

Middle setting is not what I need to use this optic. I leave mine one click down from max for an all condition usable dot.

breakingtime91
06-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Good reminder, that regardless of company, be cautious when beta testing a new product. Their roll out and battery issues is going to kill this optic

HeavyDuty
06-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Or, they will cause Aimpoint to make product improvements. I still hope ACRO works out, I just wonder if it’s not soup yet.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Or, they will cause Aimpoint to make product improvements. I still hope ACRO works out, I just wonder if it’s not soup yet.I am pretty confident Aimpoint will figure it out. They are an industry leader with a reputation for making some of the best optics on the planet.

The enclosed optic, in my opinion, is the logical path forward and I commend Aimpoint for doing this.

We can assume Aimpoint is aware of the battery issue and that they are working on a fix.

EVP
06-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Yes

According to a Aimpoint rep, the curve is not linear it is exponential. There is exponentially more draw at max brightness then say a few clicks down.

Does anyone who knows batteries and electronics in detail know if this is due to the type of battery used?

If anyone knows how to make a low draw RDS it is Aimpoint.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Next thing to test then is putting in a fresh name brand battery and setting the brightness on the highest of the middle settings. Note the date. Use, shoot and enjoy the optic with the brightness left alone. See how close we get to the advertised life.

GJM
06-14-2019, 10:23 AM
The Acro has a small battery, and no sleep or auto adjustment feature to minimize dot intensity/battery drain when the pistol is not being fired. I will be interested to see how this plays out.

WobblyPossum
06-14-2019, 10:36 AM
This concerns me. Maybe my planned pistol mounted RDS experiment next year will be a Shadow MR918 with a Trijicon SRO instead of a milled OEM slide and an ACRO.

StraitR
06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
This is very discouraging, and far from what I expected from Aimpoint after two years of development and testing. Looks like I have some things to figure out.

FWIW, mine is still on and working after nine days, alternating between setting 7 and 8. That being said, I've not shot it since changing the battery, nor exposed it to heat outside at a match yet. It's been in a climate controlled home, vehicle, office, and warehouse.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 10:40 AM
This concerns me. Maybe my planned pistol mounted RDS experiment next year will be a Shadow MR918 with a Trijicon SRO instead of a milled OEM slide and an ACRO.Well, at least the MR918 won't disappoint.

breakingtime91
06-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know if .mil tested the ACRO before socom awarded tirjicon rmr type 2 that huge contract?

GJM
06-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know if .mil tested the ACRO before socom awarded tirjicon rmr type 2 that huge contract?

Heck, I am starting to wonder if even Aimpoint tested battery life, before releasing the product.

theJanitor
06-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Does anyone keep the dot intensity at the level where aimpoint makes their batter life claims? over the dozen or so rifle sights I've had, I'm always about 2 levels higher

StraitR
06-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Does anyone keep the dot intensity at the level where Aimpoint makes their batter life claims? over the dozen or so rifle sights I've had, I'm always about 2 levels higher

Setting 6 is the advertised 1.5 years (15,000 hours). Setting 6 is great for low light if you're not using any kind of white light illumination. Given that everyone uses a white light, setting 6 is not enough.

I don't have any newer SF lights with sun-like lumen numbers. Most of my stuff is 300-500, and I find setting 7 to be sufficient with my white lights. Outside, during the bright midday sun here in FL, setting 8 is the bare minimum with 9 being much better. It seems others are finding the same, so the advertised battery life numbers are turning out to be pretty meaningless.

StraitR
06-14-2019, 03:37 PM
To expound on my thoughts a bit, because as an Aimpoint product, I'm pretty perplexed by all this. All I can do is hope that the battery life issues are the result of last minute firmware or hardware tweaking, because I can't for the life of me fathom that initial launch consumers are the first people to figure out...

Setting 6 gets washed out by white lights. Need at least setting 7 or 8 at night.
Setting 6 isn't bright enough outdoors during daylight, in any amount of light. Need at least setting 7 or 8, but more likely setting 9+.
In normal use, people are having to replace batteries in weeks, not months, let alone years.
Setting 9 will kill a battery inside 10 days.

This doesn't even take into consideration potential affects of heat on the 1225 battery, which are yet to be fully understood.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 03:42 PM
So has anyone contacted Aimpoint?

BK14
06-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Over on the P & S Facebook page there’s a thread about this. Here’s the initial post:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190614/f4bcb472f77101dabf6bdd0217c90b81.jpg

Someone later in the thread said Aimpoint is expecting 6 months out of setting 7. Not sure if 7 is that useable anyways though.

GJM
06-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Over on the P & S Facebook page there’s a thread about this. Here’s the initial post:

Someone later in the thread said Aimpoint is expecting 6 months out of setting 7. Not sure if 7 is that useable anyways though.

Given the size of the Acro, worrying about a little more volume to enclose a larger battery seems like Ashley Graham wondering if she should skip desert.

breakingtime91
06-14-2019, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna say it. What a cluster. With how much people talk crap on optics like Eotech who has a projected run life of 600 hours on a usable daylight bright setting (exps 3-0). The Acro on the same setting is going what? like 300 hours maybe on a usable setting? hmm

Matt O
06-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Wow, since I had an RMR already, I kinda assumed I'd practice with the RMR gun and carry the ACRO. Now I think it might be the reverse...

Way to drop the ball on that one Aimpoint.

GJM
06-14-2019, 04:44 PM
I think we need to hear from Aimpoint. 1.5 years at setting 6 is hard to square with 8 days at the highest setting.

Some possibilities are:

1) there have been a bunch of reduced capacity batteries shipped with new units.

2) there are problems with components within this batch of Acro units that are consuming more power.

3) there is a crazy increase in power consumption between setting 6 and the brighter settings.

4) Aimpoint made a mistake when they measured consumption and published the spec.

And probably a bunch more possible explanations.

GJM
06-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Just one anecdote, but right now I am turning on an unmounted Acro on high with a new battery, and setting it on my bench, in about 70F temperatures. Will see what happens.

GJM
06-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Just one anecdote, but right now I am turning on an unmounted Acro on high with a new battery, and setting it on my bench, in about 70F temperatures. Will see what happens.

It was easier to do it on a slide. So, 16:52, Friday, June 14, 2019, the test starts. Unit is on high, which is 3 clicks above the setting that the unit awakes to.

GJM
06-14-2019, 05:56 PM
It was easier to do it on a slide. So, 16:52, Friday, June 14, 2019, the test starts. Unit is on high, which is 3 clicks above the setting that the unit awakes to.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Just one anecdote, but right now I am turning on an unmounted Acro on high with a new battery, and setting it on my bench, in about 70F temperatures. Will see what happens.Looking forward to your results.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 06:11 PM
CR1225 battery has about 1/5th the capacity of the CR2032

Likely the explanation right here.

BK14
06-14-2019, 06:27 PM
From what I’ve heard (nothing official, just dudes talking), the blue tent of the RMR lets it take less energy to have the dot appear bright, so there’s less strain on the battery. With Aimpoint trying real hard to keep the glass really clear, they’re having to use more power for the dot to be as bright at the higher settings.

I was completely sold on the idea of an Acro for a duty gun because of the closed emitter, despite only shooting one mag through one, but I think the battery issue makes it unacceptable for patrol work. Unless there’s something I’m missing, any reliability advantage is seemingly negated by the likelihood that my battery will crap the bed if I forgot to change it that week....

Default.mp3
06-14-2019, 06:52 PM
When left on at the brightest setting (brightness setting #8), the battery should last around 25 days. As noted, the RMR uses a far larger battery, and also has lens coatings that help conserve battery life, while also imparting the undesirable blue tint, and it still doesn't make a full month.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that everyone felt blindsided by the short battery life; I had always assumed that I was going to have to do monthly battery changes once I had learned that they were using a CR1225. Should I need to bump it up to every two weeks, I would be disappointed, but not particularly shocked.

einherjarvalk
06-14-2019, 06:57 PM
I've had my ACRO on since late April without issue, but I generally leave it on setting 6 (1 down from wakeup brightness) since it's on my bedside gun and I shoot almost exclusively indoors. Setting 8 seems to be about what's necessary for outdoor use; I think that if one gets into a habit of replacing the battery every 3 weeks it should work out decently well. At about $1 per battery, it's certainly financially viable for me, though I can understand why people might be pissed based on the previous battery life of the Micro series.

Anyone have data on how long it makes it on setting 8? If it can get past 21 days (or ideally, a month) without shutoff, that's about as good a data point as I can ask for.

StraitR
06-14-2019, 07:25 PM
I bought the P-1 because I wanted a low maintenance and worry-free optic for carry, or at least more so than the other current offerings. The Aimpoint name, closed emitter, cross-bolt mounting, and my experience with AP products sold me on the Acro. Frankly, it's the only reason I bought a 45 MOS and jumped into the the red dot on a pistol game. I figured with the advertised battery life of 1.5 years, I'd change the battery on my birthday each year and call it good. Having to change a battery bi-weekly or even monthly is far from worry-free. I won't be babysitting an optic on my carry gun.

SeriousStudent
06-14-2019, 07:38 PM
I have an infrared laser thermometer, and will have a direct-milled ACRO on a G45 on the 28th. I got my sight on Monday, and inserted the factory battery.

I will be happy to do some testing regarding slide temps, etc. Since it will be Texas on a late June weekend whilst shooting on an asphalt-paved range, I do not predict Arctic readings.

I'm not a worry-wart, and trust them dudes with a Swedish accent.

breakingtime91
06-14-2019, 07:49 PM
As noted, the RMR uses a far larger battery, and also has lens coatings that help conserve battery life, while also imparting the undesirable blue tint, and it still doesn't make a full month.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that everyone felt blindsided by the short battery life; I had always assumed that I was going to have to do monthly battery changes once I had learned that they were using a CR1225. Should I need to bump it up to every two weeks, I would be disappointed, but not particularly shocked.

the rmr on the brightest sighting isn't needed to function though.. you can have your rmr usable in all conditions and change the battery once a year or even wait longer..

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 07:51 PM
I...trust them dudes with a Swedish accent.

Me, too. They're on the right track here with the enclosed emitter. But right now they're a victim of their own reputation.

It really wasn't that long ago that the EO Tech had something like a 72 hour battery life. People shut them off when not actively in use and nobody made too big a fuss about it. Nobody really liked it but it was the cost of doing business. Then along comes Aimpoint and we now expect a year's worth of runtime on a usable setting.

For a beat cop or soldier I can see, and understand, the concerns over battery life. For the hobbyist, home defender or competitive shooter it shouldn't really that big a deal. Do you leave your bedside pistol at home during the day? Turn the dot off. Carry it to and from the grocery store? Turn it off when back home. Turn it back on when you get into bed and plug your cell phone in. Same goes for the weekend shooter. Put the gun in the safe with the dot turned off and don't worry about it until you take the gun out for your weekend match or range session.

With all the above said, Aimpoint might want to look into some type of motion sensor if they are handcuffed to the little battery and/or reduced life.

GJM
06-14-2019, 08:32 PM
For a beat cop or soldier I can see, and understand, the concerns over battery life. For the hobbyist, home defender or competitive shooter it shouldn't really that big a deal. Do you leave your bedside pistol at home during the day? Turn the dot off. Carry it to and from the grocery store? Turn it off when back home. Turn it back on when you get into bed and plug your cell phone in. Same goes for the weekend shooter. Put the gun in the safe with the dot turned off and don't worry about it until you take the gun out for your weekend match or range session.

I have a different take. I don’t see this as a hobbyist optic, as $500+ is way more than the hobbyist red dot alternatives. I don’t see this as a competition optic, as the window is too small. I also don’t see it on a home defense gun where you have to turn on and adjust a red dot.

I see this as a LE/hard use EDC optic. It is expensive, bulky, has a relatively small display, and in exchange for that, you get a sealed emitter, with Aimpoint’s reputation for durability, and Aimpoint’s proven battery life. Aimpoint advertised 1.5 years on level 6, and I assumed that meant months at least, as I would use it. If Aimpoint told me this would last a week on high, or less than a month on the setting most realistically would use, I am not sure I would have had a VP9 direct milled, and bought three of these.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Me, too. They're on the right track here with the enclosed emitter. But right now they're a victim of their own reputation.

It really wasn't that long ago that the EO Tech had something like a 72 hour battery life. People shut them off when not actively in use and nobody made too big a fuss about it. Nobody really liked it but it was the cost of doing business. Then along comes Aimpoint and we now expect a year's worth of runtime on a usable setting.

With all the above said, Aimpoint might want to look into some type of motion sensor if they are handcuffed to the little battery and/or reduced life.

I’m not with you on this with regards to a self defense firearm. The optic should be capable of being left on for extended periods with zero concern about it working. There should be some faith in the company’s claim, as well (claiming a 1.5 year battery life on setting x but getting less than 30 days on setting Y is not good. It also breeds distrust among new buyers of your product)

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 08:34 PM
I have a different take. I don’t see this as a hobbyist optic, as $500+ is way more than the hobbyist red dot alternatives. I don’t see this as a competition optic, as the window is too small. I also don’t see it on a home defense gun where you have to turn on and adjust a red dot.

I see this as a LE/hard use EDC optic. It is expensive, bulky, has a relatively small display, and in exchange for that, you get a sealed emitter, with Aimpoint’s reputation for durability, and Aimpoint’s proven battery life. Aimpoint advertised 1.5 years on level 6, and I assumed that meant months at least, as I would use it. If Aimpoint told me this would last a week on high, or less than a month on the setting most realistically would use, I am not sure I would have had a VP9 direct milled, and bought three of these.

I’m not with you on this with regards to a self defense firearm. The optic should be capable of being left on for extended periods with zero concern about it working. There should be some faith in the company’s claim, as well (claiming a 1.5 year battery life on setting x but getting less than 30 days on setting Y is not good. It also breeds distrust among new buyers of your product)

It would seem we are on the same page as far as this issue. Somewhat strange, lol

breakingtime91
06-14-2019, 08:43 PM

That is where I am at and honestly its a little discouraging to see so many give them excuses. The way they labeled this optic it was supposed to be the most durable and reliable. The sealed emitter may be more durable then the RMR but the battery life isn't even close.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 08:44 PM
That is where I am at and honestly its a little discouraging to see so many give them excuses. The way they labeled this optic it was supposed to be the most durable and reliable. The sealed emitter may be more durable then the RMR but the battery life isn't even close.

It gets 10 years on setting 1...

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:45 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDo we know yet that the long life on a medium setting is incorrect?

I'm not saying that the battery life shouldn't be a consideration for someone who might be looking to purchase. What I am saying is you might have to change your expectations. Turn the sight off when not actively using/carrying the gun. Or at least turn it down a bit.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:48 PM

I see this as a LE/hard use EDC optic. It is expensive, bulky, has a relatively small display, and in exchange for that, you get a sealed emitter, with Aimpoint’s reputation for durability, and Aimpoint’s proven battery life. Aimpoint advertised 1.5 years on level 6, and I assumed that meant months at least, as I would use it. If Aimpoint told me this would last a week on high, or less than a month on the setting most realistically would use, I am not sure I would have had a VP9 direct milled, and bought three of these.I prefaced my post by saying the cop or soldier needs to be aware of battery life going in.

Also, I do not use hobbyist in any way shape or form as a derogatory term. I am a law enforcement officer but I consider myself a hobbyist. 99% of the people on this forum are hobbyist. People who take firearms and related matters as a hobby. A subject to be studied and enjoyed.

Matt O
06-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Do we know yet that the long life on a medium setting is incorrect?

I'm not saying that the battery life shouldn't be a consideration for someone who might be looking to purchase. What I am saying is you might have to change your expectations. Turn the sight off when not actively using/carrying the gun. Or at least turn it down a bit.

Doesn't that then relegate it to a range or practice gun, as opposed to the duty/ccw setup it was touted as being most suitable for? If I need to draw the gun outside of practice, it's likely going to be in a hurry and I'd prefer the optic wasn't stuck in condition 3.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 08:55 PM
I prefaced my post by saying the cop or soldier needs to be aware of battery life going in.

Also, I do not use hobbyist in any way shape or form as a derogatory term. I am a law enforcement officer but I consider myself a hobbyist. 99% of the people on this forum are hobbyist. People who take firearms and related matters as a hobby. A subject to be studied and enjoyed.

That being said, there are any number of optics costing less that they could pick that would work as well in the hobbyist application. This optic is priced and advertised to beat the pants off the competition (I doubt that GJM is the only one who killed a slide thinking this was an RMR Killer), but it isn’t. It’s unique in it’s closed emitter design, but the battery life isn’t long enough to justify the design. Instead of worrying about the possibility of use in rain, you just need to worry about the optic being dead.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Doesn't that then relegate it to a range or practice gun, as opposed to the duty/ccw setup it was touted as being most suitable for? If I need to draw the gun outside of practice, it's likely going to be in a hurry and I'd prefer the optic wasn't stuck in condition 3.Not really.

If you carry one of these as a duty gun you might have to make it a habit to change the battery every time you submit your payroll docs or some other biweekly activity that can serve as a reminder. Or set your phone to remind you.

Tokarev
06-14-2019, 08:59 PM
That being said, there are any number of optics costing less that they could pick that would work as well in the hobbyist application. This optic is priced and advertised to beat the pants off the competition (I doubt that GJM is the only one who killed a slide thinking this was an RMR Killer), but it isn’t. It’s unique in it’s closed emitter design, but the battery life isn’t long enough to justify the design. Instead of worrying about the possibility of use in rain, you just need to worry about the optic being dead.

Is the ACRO perfect? Nope. Are any of the other red dots perfect? Nope.

The ACRO brings some interesting and unique features to market albeit at the expense of a really long battery life. If battery life is more important to you than a closed emitter or a housing that's probably tougher than anything else currently available then it isn't for you.

GJM
06-14-2019, 09:01 PM

I am willing to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, in case there is something that is not obvious today. However, what I want is plain talk from Aimpoint on how many hours or days the Acro will run one click below max brightness.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:23 PM

The ACRO brings some interesting and unique features to market albeit at the expense of a really long battery life. If battery life is more important to you than a closed emitter or a housing that's probably tougher than anything else currently available then it isn't for you.

Show me the actual testing that shows it to be more durable. It’s been out for a couple months. It’s less susceptible to heavy rain, that I’ll give it. Aaron Cowan beat one up. Awesome! Durability doesn’t have a meaning if the battery dies consistently. Both lead to the optic not working. If the optic stops working when you don’t expect it to, that is a failure. If a car died every 100 miles, but started back up when turned over, we wouldn’t call it a good car. We do 2k round challenges for Pistols. If it stops working at 1k, but works again after being cleaned, that doesn’t mean it passed the test. We aren’t even getting a repeatable battery failure rate, honestly. If my life depended on an ACRO at this point, I’d probably switch the battery weekly and get some good BUIS.

GJM
06-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Show me the actual testing that shows it to be more durable. It’s been out for a couple months. It’s less susceptible to heavy rain, that I’ll give it. Aaron Cowan beat one up. Awesome! Durability doesn’t have a meaning if the battery dies consistently. Both lead to the optic not working. If the optic stops working when you don’t expect it to, that is a failure. If a car died every 100 miles, but started back up when turned over, we wouldn’t call it a good car. We do 2k round challenges for Pistols. If it stops working at 1k, but works again after being cleaned, that doesn’t mean it passed the test. We aren’t even getting a repeatable battery failure rate, honestly. If my life depended on an ACRO at this point, I’d probably switch the battery weekly and get some good BUIS.

At this stage of red dot maturity, good BUIS are frankly mandatory on any red dot, defensive pistol, regardless of brand.

Default.mp3
06-14-2019, 09:32 PM
the rmr on the brightest sighting isn't needed to function though.. you can have your rmr usable in all conditions and change the battery once a year or even wait longer..Eh, I'm getting 6 months max out of my RMRs, as I have it one setting below the max. The point though is that despite having all those advantages for battery life, the RMR is still not reaching a month at the top setting; this would suggest that an ACRO at max brightness lasting a week would be a very good performance. @Tokarev (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=13817) got 8ish days of performance at full brightness, so that's basically right in line with what I had expected, assuming similar brightness for the RMR max and ACRO max.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:32 PM
At this stage of red dot maturity, good BUIS are frankly mandatory on any red dot, defensive pistol, regardless of brand.

Yes. I get that. I’ve been carrying RMR equipped Glocks since 2011. The ACRO doesn’t seem as friendly to BUIS as the RMR. Everyone milling seems to forgo them, put them in front of the optic, and one company calls a piece of non adjustable spring steel a sight.

theJanitor
06-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Eh, I'm getting 6 months max out of my RMRs, as I have it one setting below the max. The point though is that despite having all those advantages for battery life, the RMR is still not reaching a month at the top setting; this would suggest that an ACRO at max brightness lasting a week would be a very good performance.

my RM06 type 1 has been on the same battery since last spring. 2 clicks from full bright. no signs of weakening

JAD
06-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have instrumentation which can quantify how bright ‘one click under max’ is?

It may not matter if that setting is what’s necessary to use the sight in normal daylight.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Eh, I'm getting 6 months max out of my RMRs, as I have it one setting below the max. The point though is that despite having all those advantages for battery life, the RMR is still not reaching a month at the top setting; this would suggest that an ACRO at max brightness lasting a week would be a very good performance.

Where are you that it’s so bright you need to run an RMR one position below max to see the dot? In the AZ desert, I never had it above three spots below max.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Does anyone have instrumentation which can quantify how bright ‘one click under max’ is?

It may not matter if that setting is what’s necessary to use the sight in normal daylight.

I don’t think that exists. It’s fairly subjective.

Default.mp3
06-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Where are you that it’s so bright you need to run an RMR one position below mat to see the dot? In the AZ desert, I never had it above three spots below max.I have always run my RMRs at one setting below max, both when I was in Houston and now that I'm in Tucson. I'll even bump it up to max on sunny days on the range here in Tucson. I have my Aimpoints on my rifles one setting below max, too.

Matt O
06-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Sounds like Aimpoint and Trijicon should concentrate their marketing in the Pac NW.

theJanitor
06-14-2019, 09:39 PM
I have always run my RMRs at one setting below max, both when I was in Houston and now that I'm in Tucson. I'll even bump it up to max on sunny days on the range here in Tucson. I have my Aimpoints on my rifles one setting below max, too.

oddly enough, now that I think about it. my M2/M3 sights are 2 clicks from full bright too, just like my RMR

JAD
06-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Yes

According to a Aimpoint rep, the curve is not linear it is exponential. There is exponentially more draw at max brightness then say a few clicks down.

Does anyone who knows batteries and electronics in detail know if this is due to the type of battery used?

Yes, it’s exponential. No, it’s the way lasers work. It’s just a smaller battery, and I think that if we quantify things we’ll find that people are running acros at a higher real brightness than other sights. If the other sights have exposed emitters and the Acro is sealed, the acro is giving up a chunk to that as well.

TSANSTAAFL, MF.

I think is is strange to consider an object that has a predictably shorter battery life to be less reliable.

JAD
06-14-2019, 09:47 PM

This doesn't even take into consideration potential affects of heat on the 1225 battery, which are yet to be fully understood.

It’s probably not worth considering. I don’t want to be definitive, but I wouldn’t spend a lot of time on it.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:58 PM
If Aimpoint had said that the battery (at what I can only say, based on end user feedback, would be generally usable brightness ) would last less than one month... How many folks would have milled slides and purchased the optic? It really isn’t possible an optic that is months late for its release date had this glaring issue missed. Instead of honest numbers that would result in abysmal sales, truthful (deceptive) numbers are given. I’m pretty disappointed in Aimpoint currently. I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Double tap

GJM
06-14-2019, 10:10 PM
I’m pretty disappointed in Aimpoint currently. I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed.

Disappointed is when you know someone that owns one, mad is when you own one!

The funny thing is, I don’t think you are disappointed at all, I think you are pleased, given your long stated affinity for Trijicon. :p

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:22 PM

The funny thing is, I don’t think you are disappointed at all, I think you are pleased, given your long stated affinity for Trijicon. :p

Lol! I can get whatever I want, realistically. I currently work for the largest Browning dealer in the country and am learning Trap/skeet shotguns (not the former employer you are recalling) and we currently stock ZERO Trijicon products. I am legitimately disappointed a company like Aimpoint would do this.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Have you timed yourself on a battery speed reload?

GJM
06-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Have you timed yourself on a battery speed reload?

Kind of, then I asked Tony at JM to make me an IWB pouch for a spare slide, as I think I can switch to that faster.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Kind of, then I asked Tony at JM to make me an IWB pouch for a spare slide, as I think I can switch to that faster.

Nice! But, that’s 2 ACRO’s to keep running!

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:39 PM

Nice! But, that’s 2 ACRO’s to keep running!

I guess if you already bought an extra ACRO, you might as well use it though [emoji2957]

StraitR
06-14-2019, 10:40 PM

While I don't disagree in hindsight, this wasn't an "either or" choice going in. Battery life shorter than the time I expect to get out of a gallon of milk wasn't on the table during my decision making process.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:45 PM
While I don't disagree in hindsight, this wasn't an "either or" choice going in. Battery life shorter than the time I expect to get out of a gallon of milk wasn't on the table during my decision making process.

Most folks would have just stuck with irons. A few (I use the term lightly) decided to do dedicated milling for a new untested optic (based on the manufacturers past performance). Unlike an RMR cut, it’s not that easy to make a filler plate and just run iron sights. I’m not even sure if there’s a good way to do that at all, honestly

David S.
06-14-2019, 10:51 PM
#bluetintlife (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=bluetintlife) ;)

I suspect Aimpoint will make this right.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 10:56 PM
#bluetintlife (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=bluetintlife) ;)

I suspect Aimpoint will make this right.

I love the optimism! Aside from a redesign (or refunding money and buying folks new slides) I’m not sure how they will. I have an idea on how to make it work, but it’s not free... And I really don’t need the money.

GJM
06-14-2019, 10:57 PM
Most folks would have just stuck with irons. A few (I use the term lightly) decided to do dedicated milling for a new untested optic (based on the manufacturers past performance). Unlike an RMR cut, it’s not that easy to make a filler plate and just run iron sights. I’m not even sure if there’s a good way to do that at all, honestly

On all three of mine, the Acro milling is minimally intrusive, and the rear sight dovetail is intact and fully functional. I may also check out the micro adapter plate.

Sigfan26
06-14-2019, 11:01 PM
On all three of mine, the Acro milling is minimally intrusive, and the rear sight dovetail is intact and fully functional. I may also check out the micro adapter plate.

Are you sure on the dovetail? I find it odd nobody was offering traditional rear sight placement when questioned. Can you PM me some pics, out of curiosity?

breakingtime91
06-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Eh, I'm getting 6 months max out of my RMRs, as I have it one setting below the max. The point though is that despite having all those advantages for battery life, the RMR is still not reaching a month at the top setting; this would suggest that an ACRO at max brightness lasting a week would be a very good performance. @Tokarev (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=13817) got 8ish days of performance at full brightness, so that's basically right in line with what I had expected, assuming similar brightness for the RMR max and ACRO max.

I don't get your argument.. 6 months vs 2-3 weeks is a big difference for serious use. If I had the acro in Afghanistan and I had to worry about it after a week, I would of shit canned it. To each their own but it seems like you are making commissions where there shouldn't be.

HCM
06-15-2019, 12:46 AM
Or, they will cause Aimpoint to make product improvements. I still hope ACRO works out, I just wonder if it’s not soup yet.

farscott
06-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Yes

Assuming the dot source is a LED, the Aimpoint rep is not correct. LED brightness (units of cd/m^2) increases linearly with current through the LED through the specified operating range. Run the LED with too little current, and the color shifts in addition to being dimmer. This is an issue with white and blue LEDs used as indicators in vehicles. Run too much current through the LED and it gets too hot, decreasing service life.

Here is the data sheet for the battery: https://www.bto.pl/pdf/06943/renata2032.pdf

The CR2032 standard current discharge is 0.4mA and the maximum continuous (leaving the sight ON on a single setting would be an example of a continuous load) specified is 3mA. This is not a lot of current. For example, indicator LEDs on vehicles are typically driven between 0.5mA (dim) and 5mA (bright). The CR2032 maximum battery life (defined as when voltage reaches 2.0V from 3.0V start) with a load that requires 0.25mA is 1000 hours (41 days, 16 hours) during usage. Using the same battery with a current of less than 0.5mA drops the battery life to less than 600 hours (25 days). To get a battery life of 5000 hours, the current has to be less than 0.05mA, which is not enough to make the dot visible in sunlight.

As such, ACRO battery life will be measured in weeks, not months. It is a function of the small cell's battery capacity and the LED current needed to make the dot visible.

Trukinjp13
06-15-2019, 08:13 AM
This is just another example of why Trijicon has the auto on feature. I do not have a issue with manually setting my dot when I pick her up from being dormant. But having a lockout for the auto will be a good feature in the future.

But I imagine if Aimpoint had something similar it would help stretch that battery life. Sometimes you do not need the dot on. But it HAS to come on as soon as you pick up the optic. I hated the trs25 for this, even when it was just on the 12g for hunting. Turning a optic off and on to me is bullshit.

Tokarev
06-15-2019, 08:29 AM
One thing with the ACRO is how quickly it can be turned on. It takes a press and hold of a couple seconds to turn it off but it comes on immediately when either the up or down button is pressed. The buttons are big too.

Default.mp3
06-15-2019, 05:57 PM
I don't get your argument.. 6 months vs 2-3 weeks is a big difference for serious use. If I had the acro in Afghanistan and I had to worry about it after a week, I would of shit canned it. To each their own but it seems like you are making commissions where there shouldn't be.I'm not saying 2 or 3 weeks is acceptable for use (I think that's an individual determination that needs to be made by the user), just that it shouldn't be seen as a surprise, given the specs of the battery used, and the current state of RDS technology; I personally believe that an RMR using the same battery would see similar run times.

GJM
06-15-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm not saying 2 or 3 weeks is acceptable for use (I think that's an individual determination that needs to be made by the user), just that it shouldn't be seen as a surprise, given the specs of the battery used, and the current state of RDS technology; I personally believe that an RMR using the same battery would see similar run times.

I think most of us thought battery life would be a non issue given this was an Aimpoint, not an Eotech, and the only listed duration in the specifications was 1.5 years. User reports from the field was the first hint of a battery problem with this product. Aimpoint should have provided battery duration information for the settings users were likely to use, so we could be informed as to whether the Acro would meet our needs, and so we could plan for battery changes rather than be surprised when our optic died.

Default.mp3
06-15-2019, 06:28 PM
I think most of us thought battery life would be a non issue given this was an Aimpoint, not an Eotech, and the only listed duration in the specifications was 1.5 years. User reports from the field was the first hint of a battery problem with this product. Aimpoint should have provided battery duration information for the settings users were likely to use, so we could be informed as to whether the Acro would meet our needs, and so we could plan for battery changes rather than be surprised when our optic died.I guess the lesson here is, read the spec sheet first at the very least. An EOTech EXPS3 running off a CR1225 would probably have battery life measured in hours, or possibly even minutes; my interpolation says it takes less than 20 hours for setting 12 to deplete a CR1225, whatever brightness that is (since EOTech claims 600 hours for that setting, and there are apparently 30 settings on an EXPS3, 20 of which are supposedly daylight bright). I agree that it would be nice that if Aimpoint put the battery life for setting 8 or 9, but setting 6 seemed pretty obvious to me to not be really usable in daylight, analogous to their posting of setting 8 out of 12 for the T-2 for 5 years (although there they also put the battery life for position 10, which is 10 months, substantially shorter than position 8 despite only 2 setting difference).

JHC
06-15-2019, 06:37 PM
I think most of us thought battery life would be a non issue given this was an Aimpoint, not an Eotech, and the only listed duration in the specifications was 1.5 years. User reports from the field was the first hint of a battery problem with this product. Aimpoint should have provided battery duration information for the settings users were likely to use, so we could be informed as to whether the Acro would meet our needs, and so we could plan for battery changes rather than be surprised when our optic died.

What if this were Glock eh? ;)

GJM
06-15-2019, 07:26 PM
I guess the lesson here is, read the spec sheet first at the very least. An EOTech EXPS3 running off a CR1225 would probably have battery life measured in hours, or possibly even minutes; my interpolation says it takes less than 20 hours for setting 12 to deplete a CR1225, whatever brightness that is (since EOTech claims 600 hours for that setting, and there are apparently 30 settings on an EXPS3, 20 of which are supposedly daylight bright). I agree that it would be nice that if Aimpoint put the battery life for setting 8 or 9, but setting 6 seemed pretty obvious to me to not be really usable in daylight, analogous to their posting of setting 8 out of 12 for the T-2 for 5 years (although there they also put the battery life for position 10, which is 10 months, substantially shorter than position 8 despite only 2 setting difference).

It pains me to be comparing an Aimpoint product to an Eotech. For a decade or more, all I have heard is how poor battery life is on an Eotech, and how that is largely disqualifying for serious use. As bad as Eotech battery life was, short battery life is far easier to deal with on a carbine, than on a pistol that is worn continuously.

We have had RMR units out there for years, and when used as designed, their battery lasts a year or several years. Aimpoint batteries have lasted for years in their other red dot optics. Who would have thought that Aimpoint, known as the leader in battery life, would release a product, when used as we do with a pistol optic, that has battery life that is a fraction of the product they are competing with — the RMR.

Frankly, the Acro has been a hot mess since day one. It has been a couple years late, since first rumored to be released, and what ten months since it appeared on the Aimpoint website. For months, nobody has been able to get any straight info out of Aimpoint as to when units would ship. Then the users discover the battery life sucks. The product specs even if technically correct are clearly misleading. And we users are practically going to have to treat the Acro like an Apple Watch.

The Acro was supposed to be the product that finally brought the PMO to mainstream LE and EDC use, and my gut is this short battery life issue will keep it from being widely successful, and the Acro will turn out to be just another transitional product, hopefully soon to be superseded by something better.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
It pains me to be comparing an Aimpoint product to an Eotech. For a decade or more, all I have heard is how poor battery life is on an Eotech, and how that is largely disqualifying for serious use. As bad as Eotech battery life was, short battery life is far easier to deal with on a carbine, than on a pistol that is worn continuously.

We have had RMR units out there for years, and when used as designed, their battery lasts a year or several years. Aimpoint batteries have lasted for years in their other red dot optics. Who would have thought that Aimpoint, known as the leader in battery life, would release a product, when used as we do with a pistol optic, that has battery life that is a fraction of the product they are competing with — the RMR.

Frankly, the Acro has been a hot mess since day one. It has been a couple years late, since first rumored to be released, and what ten months since it appeared on the Aimpoint website. For months, nobody has been able to get any straight info out of Aimpoint as to when units would ship. Then the users discover the battery life sucks. The product specs even if technically correct are clearly misleading. And we users are practically going to have to treat the Acro like an Apple Watch.

The Acro was supposed to be the product that finally brought the PMO to mainstream LE and EDC use, and my gut is this short battery life issue will keep it from being widely successful, and the Acro will turn out to be just another transitional product, hopefully soon to be superseded by something better.

They should have made it a rechargeable battery that used a USBc (like the Surefire Stiletto). Just plug it in.

JAD
06-15-2019, 08:24 PM
They should have made it a rechargeable battery that used a USBc (like the Surefire Stiletto). Just plug it in.

A rechargeable would have way less capacity. TSANTetc. A charge path and a BMS also eats up space. And USB-C sucks, as do most non-inductive charge paths. Warranty work on connectors would be killer.

I agree with George that AP should have managed expectations better. I still think this is by far the best solution for carry of an RDS. It just is what it is.

Doc_Glock
06-15-2019, 08:25 PM
This sort of drama is the reason I left pistol optic world 4-5 years ago. My eyes don’t really require one, but I thought the ACRO would be my ticket back into optic life.

My condolences and thanks to those who took the big plunge and found out these issues.

J0hnny
06-15-2019, 08:47 PM
My condolences and thanks to those who took the big plunge and found out these issues.

Same. I just finished putting together a VP9 upper optic-host today, and I'll be waiting to see how this shakes out.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 08:58 PM
I still think this is by far the best solution for carry of an RDS. It just is what it is.

How so? You are mitigating a limited incident environmental issue with a constantly recurring hardware issue. Mitigating the environmental issue (limited in scope) with a self imposed hardware issue (constantly recurring) is an asinine solution. Also, the financial aspect is impossible to ignore. It’s recommended to replace the RMR battery at its half life (about one year). If the same metric is applied to the ACRO, you will spend (going by price from Lowe’s online) about $150 a year on batteries alone.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:05 PM

Eotech batteries were (generally) cheaper at least.

jeffhughes
06-15-2019, 09:10 PM
I have one. Waiting on a plate. I’ll put this one on a pistol in a travel bag for my truck. Turn it on if I really need it but have a little time to spare.

I sure hope AP fixes this. But for now I’ll look at other options...

I’ve got eyes that needp an RDS....

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:13 PM
“Turn it on when I need it” is the optic equivalent of carrying with an empty chamber...

JAD
06-15-2019, 09:23 PM
How so? You are mitigating a limited incident environmental issue with a constantly recurring hardware issue. Mitigating the environmental issue (limited in scope) with a self imposed hardware issue (constantly recurring) is an asinine solution. Also, the financial aspect is impossible to ignore.

I don’t think so. A predictable maintenance interval which results in reliable function is preferable to a design vulnerability which results in sudden and unpredictable failure.

The batteries in question are $0.60 each. If I go fucking nuts and replace the battery every ten days, that’s $22 per year.

Does the acro require dismount of the optic to replace the battery? How long does a battery swap take?

GJM
06-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Maybe Surefire can bring out a pressure switch for the Acro, that when you squeeze, it turns the red dot on, and when you release it turns back off.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:30 PM
I don’t think so. A predictable maintenance interval which results in reliable function is preferable to a design vulnerability which results in sudden and unpredictable failure.

The batteries in question are $0.60 each. If I go fucking nuts and replace the battery every ten days, that’s $22 per year.

Does the acro require dismount of the optic to replace the battery? How long does a battery swap take?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-CR1225-Lithium-Button-Cell-Battery/518586487?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=547&adid=22222222228073422603&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=339319092683&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-387454494208&wl5=200624&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354610&wl11=online&wl12=518586487&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Irgz_ns4gIVBaSzCh2zhArQEAQYASAB EgKmQPD_BwE
Speedy battery changes shouldn’t be a selling point... Not needing to do it on a regular basis should. Do whatever you want. I’m done giving a shit about this dumpster fire of an optic. Sig handled the P320 discharging when dropped better than Aimpoint is handling ACRO battery life.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:30 PM
Maybe Surefire can bring out a pressure switch for the Acro, that when you squeeze, it turns the red dot on, and when you release it turns back off.

There’s someone at Aimpoint like “WE HAVE AN IDEA!!!!”

dfeder530
06-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Has there actually been a recognition of the low battery life under real-world conditions by the company? Does Aimpoint have a plan to fix the battery life or are we going to be stuck as is with this current generation optic? Wish they would've been more upfront about the battery life on max settings. At least Trijicon has on their FAQ that the RMR Type 2 has a max of 25 days on the highest setting.

JAD
06-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Normally I don’t go to wal mart to avoid getting shot, but now I’ll add not getting bent over.

My point about the time necessary to change the battery was that if a battery swap once a week is eating $0.60 and six minutes out of my week, that’s probably a livable exchange for the exposed emitter and battery contacts and blue tint that are featured on the second best optic available for the purpose; and it’s slightly possible that this issue might not look like a complete showstopper in the cold light of dawn.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Normally I don’t go to wal mart to avoid getting shot, but now I’ll add not getting bent over.

My point about the time necessary to change the battery was that if a battery swap once a week is eating $0.60 and six minutes out of my week, that’s probably a livable exchange for the exposed emitter and battery contacts and blue tint that are featured on the second best optic available for the purpose; and it’s slightly possible that this issue might not look like a complete showstopper in the cold light of dawn.

You do you chief. I am at a point where, as long as the poor decisions of others don’t directly effect me, I couldn’t care less.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 09:45 PM
Normally I don’t go to wal mart to avoid getting shot

Should probably just avoid KC altogether if you are really concerned about it...

JAD
06-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Should probably just avoid KC altogether if you are really concerned about it...

Sold. I stay in Overland Park. Nowhere is safe, which is why I carry a (iron sighted) gun, but after fifteen years in Brookside I bugged out, man.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Sold. I stay in Overland Park. Nowhere is safe, which is why I carry a (iron sighted) gun, but after fifteen years in Brookside I bugged out, man.

I honestly never felt that worried in KC. I was surprised to learn how violent it is (when my brother moved there many years ago).

JAD
06-15-2019, 10:14 PM
I honestly never felt that worried in KC. I was surprised to learn how violent it is (when my brother moved there many years ago).

It’s stripey (good blocks and bad blocks alternate) but most crime is sociologically self contained. Even OP is a little sketch in parts. I work in Grandview, and it’s a lot nicer than it used to be.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 10:20 PM
It’s stripey (good blocks and bad blocks alternate) but most crime is sociologically self contained. Even OP is a little sketch in parts. I work in Grandview, and it’s a lot nicer than it used to be.

Everyone needs to go to Local Pig for a sandwich. That’s a given.

Trukinjp13
06-15-2019, 10:47 PM

So do we not have to re zero the aimpoint on battery changes?

That imho is nowhere near a livable change. I aint carrying a bunch of fucking batteries and tools with me when I go out of town or have shit do. I’ll take my rmr 2 and my year plus battery life that has yet to fail me thank you.

The “Aimpoint battery/tool kit” may be a good invention for someone. Make a handy pouch with tools and a dozen batteries. Or make it kydex and you can carry it instead of a extra mag. Fml

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 10:53 PM
So do we not have to re zero the aimpoint on battery changes?

That imho is nowhere near a livable change. I aint carrying a bunch of fucking batteries and tools with me when I go out of town or have shit do. I’ll take my rmr 2 and my year plus battery life that has yet to fail me thank you.

The “Aimpoint battery/tool kit” may be a good invention for someone. Make a handy pouch with tools and a dozen batteries. Or make it kydex and you can carry it instead of a extra mag. Fml

As a general rule, I haven’t had to rezero my RMR after a battery change. I needed to confirm. Never had to adjust the optic. It was always right where it should be.

StraitR
06-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Sig handled the P320 discharging when dropped better than Aimpoint is handling ACRO battery life.

Poor battery life is an irritation. A pistol discharging when dropped is a menace to society. Frankly, I don't see how people continue to look past that problem. I sure as hell don't, particularly when I see bubba butterfingers start fumbling his 320. The Acro has been out for a month, let's save the comparisons to other shitty corporate responses for now.

Trukinjp13
06-15-2019, 11:29 PM
As a general rule, I haven’t had to rezero my RMR after a battery change. I needed to confirm. Never had to adjust the optic. It was always right where it should be.

How does the aimpoint work with battery changes though? You would still have to shoot to confirm even if you do not need to re zero.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 11:44 PM
Poor battery life is an irritation. A pistol discharging when dropped is a menace to society. Frankly, I don't see how people continue to look past that problem. I sure as hell don't, particularly when I see bubba butterfingers start fumbling his 320. The Acro has been out for a month, let's save the comparisons to other shitty corporate responses for now.

I’m sure the battery life issue just appeared out of mid air like the drop/bang issue. Want to know the shittiest corporate response? “Let the consumer figure it out”. That is what Aimpoint did. And it is unacceptable.

Sigfan26
06-15-2019, 11:47 PM
How does the aimpoint work with battery changes though? You would still have to shoot to confirm even if you do not need to re zero.

You should always confirm zero after a battery change... How the battery is changed is irrelevant. Power was completely cut from the sight then returned. It’s dumb to not confirm zero.

Quotron
06-16-2019, 12:48 AM
Who would have thought that Aimpoint, known as the leader in battery life, would release a product, when used as we do with a pistol optic, that has battery life that is a fraction of the product they are competing with — the RMR.

"Past Performance Is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results"

It may be repeated reflexively in financial markets but there's a reason it exists.

Given that Trijicon was able to make a top-loading battery compartment in the SRO, which uses the RMR's footprint, I would not be surprised to see a Type 3 RMR in the near future contain that feature. Which would certainly eat into some of the selling points for the Acro, for the average, non-duty, user.

Unfortunately much of the letdown seems to be from Aimpoint not managing expectations and billing, or allowing their spokesmen to bill, the Acro as a "game changer" instead of a "transitional product". Hopefully the mounting system/footprint is retained and used on further closed-emitter systems as it does appear superior.

While we can question his testing methods, Aaron Cowan has experienced failures in the Acro's glass; it is promising that his unit did not suffer a loss of zero. However, we simply do not have enough data to be able to say Acros are "more rugged" or "less rugged" than something like an RMR. While the closed-emitter design does prevent occlusion of the dot that is only one aspect.

Again, this is likely resultant of how the Acro was billed, or more specifically the fact that Aimpoint gave little to no information for several months, and let the internet's collective mind run wild with fantastical dreams.

https://i.imgur.com/HoTbneE.png

UNM1136
06-16-2019, 01:30 AM
You should always confirm zero after a battery change... How the battery is changed is irrelevant. Power was completely cut from the sight then returned. It’s dumb to not confirm zero.

Based on my experience so far, I am happy verifying co-witness with my irons, which I can do anytime, anywhere. It is part of my daily routine, just after a press check. I will accept the answer that I am just lazy, but there it is.

pat

TCB
06-16-2019, 02:59 AM
Is this a thing? Cutting power to a RDO can change it’s zero? News to me...I’ve changed a lot of batteries on RDO’s over the years and never seen this phenomenon, or ever heard of it. Please elaborate.

einherjarvalk
06-16-2019, 03:26 AM
Is this a thing? Cutting power to a RDO can change it’s zero? News to me...I’ve changed a lot of batteries on RDO’s over the years and never seen this phenomenon, or ever heard of it. Please elaborate.

I don’t think it’s a thing, especially on the ACRO. The physical position of the emitter/lens/optic hasn’t changed, so why would the zero? I think certain people here are vastly overblowing the issue to make themselves feel better about the purchase of an alternative product.

Monthly battery changes on setting 8 of a $.60-$1 battery mounted on the side of the optic is absolutely not an issue to me. If it is for other people, then they need to just move on. It’s a letdown but IMO not the massive controversy that a number of people are pretending it is. Set a recurring Google Calendar reminder and live your life. I’m just turning it down when it goes in the nightstand and that’s that.

GJM
06-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Between my wife’s competition pistols and mine, I have probably changed 100 2032 batteries, and never has that caused a change in zero on the DP Pro. With the decal slipping reliability problems, I would open the battery compartment and inspect almost daily.

jeffhughes
06-16-2019, 07:19 AM
“Turn it on when I need it” is the optic equivalent of carrying with an empty chamber...

I often have a full size backup to my edc when on the road. That’s that roll it would fill. If it’s coming out of the lock box, I certainly have time to deal with adjusting the dot before I change out guns.

Trukinjp13
06-16-2019, 08:59 AM

No shit. That is my point. Even if it is fast, easy and cheap you still have to get to the range and confirm zero. How much time and carry ammo is going to be used throughout the course of the year to change batteries every couple weeks? Unacceptable.

Trukinjp13
06-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Between my wife’s competition pistols and mine, I have probably changed 100 2032 batteries, and never has that caused a change in zero on the DP Pro. With the decal slipping reliability problems, I would open the battery compartment and inspect almost daily.

Do you confirm zero? Or just roll on? Genuinely curious. I personally am just of the opinion that I am removing my optic and reinstalling that I should always confirm zero. I realize the rmr is different and it is simpler on the newer mrds to change the battery. But it would make me nervous not checking zero on something I trust my life to.

GJM
06-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Do you confirm zero? Or just roll on? Genuinely curious. I personally am just of the opinion that I am removing my optic and reinstalling that I should always confirm zero. I realize the rmr is different and it is simpler on the newer mrds to change the battery. But it would make me nervous not checking zero on something I trust my life to.

The DP Pro has a top loading battery compartment — you are not removing the optic.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 09:38 AM

I do it on my red dots on rifles and pistols. Not saying anyone has to, but it is a good idea (in my opinion).

Tokarev
06-16-2019, 09:42 AM
I do it on my red dots on rifles and pistols. Not saying anyone has to, but it is a good idea (in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhy? Are the sights that don't require a dismount off after changing the battery? On an RMR I can see it but on a T1 or Pro mounted to an AR? Nah.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Why? Are the sights that don't require a dismount off after changing the battery? On an RMR I can see it but on a T1 or Pro mounted to an AR? Nah.

It’s what I do. I’m not saying anyone else needs to. It’s an excuse to go to the range.

Trukinjp13
06-16-2019, 09:54 AM
The DP Pro has a top loading battery compartment — you are not removing the optic.

Which is why I said I realize they are different. But I am still wondering if you confirm zero?

Tokarev
06-16-2019, 09:55 AM
It’s an excuse to go to the range.

Now that I understand.

Caballoflaco
06-16-2019, 10:01 AM
It’s what I do. I’m not saying anyone else needs to. It’s an excuse to go to the range.

This isn’t an attack on you, but for new shooters or for people who don’t understand red dots, if you don’t have to dismount the optic, there is no reason based on physics or science to check the zero. Functionally that’s like saying you have to re-zero an optic every time you turn off your optic and then turn it back on. The only thing changing a battery does is create a lack of electrons for all the electronic bits. The mechanical led housing, which is moved with the windage and elevation screws isn’t going to move because the electronics don’t have electrons.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Which is why I said I realize they are different. But I am still wondering if you confirm zero?

GJM practically shoots in his sleep. He spends more time at the range than I spend in my apartment (I don’t know the exact numbers, but this could actually be true). He’d know if his optic was off.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 10:09 AM
This isn’t an attack on you, but for new shooters or for people who don’t understand red dots, if you don’t have to dismount the optic, there is no reason based on physics or science to check the zero. Functionally that’s like saying you have to re-zero an optic every time you turn off your optic and then turn it back on. The only thing changing a battery does is create a lack of electrons for all the electronic bits. The mechanical led housing, which is moved with the windage and elevation screws isn’t going to move because the electronics don’t have electrons.

Even if battery replacement was a monthly occurrence, is it to much to ask that someone go to the range once a month?

GJM
06-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Not my line of work, but I understand the SF guys change their batteries every day, when they are doing stuff. Hard to imagine they go verify zero every day they change batteries.

In all my years of shooting Aimpoints, I have never seen or heard of a zero change from a battery change. Frankly, this thread is the first I have heard of a possible zero change from changing a battery on a top or side loading (battery) optic. I have never observed a zero shift in my many DP Pro optics. I have never heard of another competitor discussing zero shift after a battery change in an optic that can get a fresh battery without removing the optic.

As a practical matter, I verify zero in every range session, but not because I changed a battery.

Caballoflaco
06-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Even if battery replacement was a monthly occurrence, is it to much to ask that someone go to the range once a month?

Yeah, but they should do that for a quantifiable reason, like shooting a handgun is a perishable skill. They shouldn’t feel the need to go for some superstitious reason such as the tail of an orange cat brushed your left leg after 6pm on the sabbath or they replaced the battery on an their Acro.

andre3k
06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm reminded of the time when the MRO was released and some folks at M4carbine.net lost it because the optics had a bluish tint and the front lens was angled. There was huge thread about it.

Everyone wanted to know if a recall would be issued or if a new design would be coming out and it turns out that those were simply part of the design of the MRO. Trijicon didn't change a thing IIRC. People eventually got over it, moved on with their lives and to this day the MRO is still a popular optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tokarev
06-16-2019, 11:42 AM
I'm reminded of the time when the MRO was released and some folks at M4carbine.net lost it because the optics had a bluish tint and the front lens was angled. There was huge thread about it.

Everyone wanted to know if a recall would be issued or if a new design would be coming out and it turns out that those were simply part of the design of the MRO. Trijicon didn't change a thing IIRC. People eventually got over it, moved on with their lives and to this day the MRO is still a popular optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkAlthough I have heard (don't have one to verify) that the newer production MROs have been re-designed so there's less fish eye distortion.

andre3k
06-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Although I have heard (don't have one to verify) that the newer production MROs have been re-designed so there's less fish eye distortion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkI forgot about the fisheye issue. There was a revision but it still wasn't a major change. People either accepted its issues or bought another optic. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Aimpoint to issue a recall for this.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Not my line of work, but I understand the SF guys change their batteries every day, when they are doing stuff. Hard to imagine they go verify zero every day they change batteries.

In all my years of shooting Aimpoints, I have never seen or heard of a zero change from a battery change. Frankly, this thread is the first I have heard of a possible zero change from changing a battery on a top or side loading (battery) optic. I have never observed a zero shift in my many DP Pro optics. I have never heard of another competitor discussing zero shift after a battery change in an optic that can get a fresh battery without removing the optic.

As a practical matter, I verify zero in every range session, but not because I changed a battery.

I’m not saying it has happened. I’m just saying, when I change batteries in my red dots, I go verify zero. Folks can do what they want.

TCB
06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
So, FUD... got it.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Yeah, but they should do that for a quantifiable reason, like shooting a handgun is a perishable skill. They shouldn’t feel the need to go for some superstitious reason such as the tail of an orange cat brushed your left leg after 6pm on the sabbath or they replaced the battery on an their Acro.

Guess I’m just superstitious. It’s not going to hurt to do it. I’m not telling folks they need to do it. It’s just what I do.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 12:00 PM
So, FUD... got it.

Pretty much, I guess.

Tokarev
06-16-2019, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Aimpoint to issue a recall for this.

Nope. Probably the best we may see is a Rev B that has a motion sensor.

Without knowing Aimpoint's design parameters all the speculation is just that. But I assume the 1225 battery and the constant on features were chosen to meet a specific design requirement. Whether this was done to meet a size/weight requirement or just simply a case of using existing dot technology and the smallest battery that provided some functionality is unknown.

Yung
06-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Figured some of you folks might be interested in this flashback.

Rewatched InRange TV's bit with the Acro at Shot Show earlier at the beginning of this year.

Battery life talked about at the 2:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jCaIF1OMI

Thanks to all you folks who put in the work so I have an excuse to hold off on transitioning to red dots a bit longer and buy something else I want first.

GJM
06-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Figured some of you folks might be interested in this flashback.

Rewatched InRange TV's bit with the Acro at Shot Show earlier at the beginning of this year.

Battery life talked about at the 2:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jCaIF1OMI

Thanks to all you folks who put in the work so I have an excuse to hold off on transitioning to red dots a bit longer and buy something else I want first.

To save people listening, Aimpoint rep says we “want you to turn it on and leave it on. At normal daylighting setting, 7, it will last a year.”

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 02:51 PM
To save people listening, Aimpoint rep says we “want you to turn it on and leave it on. At normal daylighting setting, 7, it will last a year.”

You should put one at 7 and see if it lasts.

dfeder530
06-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Would one of you guys with an ACRO be so kind as to post a picture of the inside of the battery compartment and cap with the battery removed? Thanks!

TCB
06-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Are these type of batteries able to be doubled up (like putting cr123’s inline in flashlights)? You’d just need a longer (deeper) cap (rather than a wider one).

voodoo_man
06-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Are these type of batteries able to be doubled up (like putting cr123’s inline in flashlights)? You’d just need a longer (deeper) cap (rather than a wider one).

Not that I have seen, but that's a decent idea.

Tokarev
06-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Are these type of batteries able to be doubled up (like putting cr123’s inline in flashlights)? You’d just need a longer (deeper) cap (rather than a wider one).I've seen that idea mentioned on another forum. Similar to the KAC battery cap.

If feasible I imagine the aftermarket will respond soon.

Default.mp3
06-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Are these type of batteries able to be doubled up (like putting cr123’s inline in flashlights)? You’d just need a longer (deeper) cap (rather than a wider one).It shouldn't work, as two voltage sources in series would double the voltage; you'd end up with it outputting 6 volts rather than the original 3 volts. Unfortunately, the CR1225 is the thickest of the CR12xx batteries.

JAD
06-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Cool contacts. Probably a patent violation, could be a license. I would like to know their cycle life — germane to this discussion. Probably mostly ok tho.

JAD
06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
It shouldn't work, as two voltage sources in series would double the voltage; you'd end up with it outputting 6 volts rather than the original 3 volts. Unfortunately, the CR1225 is the thickest of the CR12xx batteries.

I can think of a way to put them in parallel.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Cool contacts. Probably a patent violation, could be a license. I would like to know their cycle life — germane to this discussion. Probably mostly ok tho.

(Since you sound like you are well versed on the subject) With monthly replacement, is the likelihood of breaking a contact high? I remember breaking 2 MRO contacts on initial battery install.

JAD
06-16-2019, 06:19 PM
I'd thought about a deeper cap, running two 1225's + to +, and then using a thin insulated to jumper to connect the - terminals, but that's still just 100mAh. While that's twice as much capacity as a single battery, it's only half as shitty as far as runtime goes. :) That's why I figured an adapter/expanded cap for something like .a 2032 would be better.

Hard to get contact down the well. I think the user base would still be disappointed, because I suspect the Acro takes more power to achieve the same perceived brightness. Plus our adapters would be lossy.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 06:29 PM
I'm mostly just wanting to make fun of the ACROs short battery life. :)

Its pretty easy to do!

StraitR
06-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Its pretty easy to do!

At least Tom is good at it. You've managed to become annoying with whatever axe you have to grind against a product you don't own.

JAD
06-16-2019, 06:35 PM
As I said earlier, it's a probably a dumb idea. I'm mostly just wanting to make fun of the ACROs short battery life. :)

It’s more fun to make fun of the people who bought the Acro. Optics don’t get butthurt.

Sigfan26
06-16-2019, 06:39 PM
At least Tom is good at it. You've managed to become annoying with whatever axe you have to grind against a product you don't own.

Your feelings are noted... Ignored, but noted.

1Rangemaster
06-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Well, the thread started as a record of battery life, so:
15 June, 2019, 1145h- new Renata battery installed in ACRO. General plan is to run one click up from initial brightness and adjust as situations warrant.
I also have some ACRO P-1s coming in for department-one is a spare. When I have that in hand, will install new battery, go to full power, and report that.
I’m a little disappointed in the battery life, but if I can get to 30 days on one battery, I can deal with it. I hope Aimpoint comes out with more information. I appreciate the sealed emitter, and plan to work with it, within reason.
Piece of information: the battery cap can be removed/installed with a penny or dime.

Trukinjp13
06-16-2019, 09:23 PM
GJM practically shoots in his sleep. He spends more time at the range than I spend in my apartment (I don’t know the exact numbers, but this could actually be true). He’d know if his optic was off.

Where did you come up with that? I simply asked if he confirmed zero. Now I know from his response.

Hopefully aimpoint is paying attention to all the chatter and can come up with a fix. Seems like there is one squeaky ass wheel that needs some grease.

Bart Carter
06-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Just after that he said at setting 10 you are talking days instead of years. :(

azant
06-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Battery that came in the box installed in ACRO on May 16 and is still running. The optic is on setting 9 in the daytime and setting 7 at night. I change it at sunset and sunrise-ish. When I start thinking about whether or not I need sunglasses, I think of the optic and adjust it when I have a chance.

From what I was told by the rep, I expected 30 days of use and hoped for 90 with those settings. We will see. With the exponential power demands as the optic gets brighter, I hoped to use settings 6 and 8, but light colored targets and shooting toward the sun makes 9 necessary for me in bright daylight. I found 7 was best indoors with bright flashlights or bright overheads in buildings, so it is my night setting.

I am surely biased, because of the issues I have had with RMRs in the rain, and rain after dust and pollen collection in the lens. The ACRO has no such issues and because of the clear glass, the irons are much easier to pick up if the optic is dirty, wet, and not projecting the dot. For me, the short battery life is worth it.

That being said, I remember when Aimpoint Comp Ms had only 100 or so hours of battery life, too. You either left the optic off, or changed the battery every two weeks and those 1/3Ns were hard to find and seemed expensive at the time. For a time, I would load the rifle when it came out of the rack in the squad car, deal with the sling, and then spin the dial on the optic. We ran fixed irons with a lower 1/3 co-witness, then. I decided to buy batteries not long into that process.

I ran a DPP on a G19 for a while and changed the battery monthly. I run LPVO on my rifles now and change the batteries if I have spent any time with the dot turned on, which is rare. I also change the batteries in my flashlights pretty often, just like I changed batteries in NVDs, thermal sights, and aiming lasers, overseas.

I get the fact that people expected Aimpoint longevity on a realistic daylight setting, but I don't think it means the optic is not duty capable. It may not be your preference, though.

Tokarev
06-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Battery that came in the box installed in ACRO on May 16 and is still running.

30+ days in. Sounds good. Please keep us updated on when/why you change the battery.

I have had with RMRs in the rain, and rain after dust and pollen collection in the lens. The ACRO has no such issues and because of the clear glass, the irons are much easier to pick up if the optic is dirty, wet....I also change the batteries in my flashlights pretty often, just like I changed batteries in NVDs, thermal sights, and aiming lasers, overseas. I get the fact that people expected Aimpoint longevity on a realistic daylight setting, but I don't think it means the optic is not duty capable..

Thanks for bringing some first-hand experience (and common sense) to the thread.

TCB
06-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Azant, solid info. Your experience mirrors mine. If you’re getting 30 days with 9 during the day and 7 at night (the settings I’ve found work best for me as well) I’m pretty happy. ¢.60 and a battery change once a month is a non issue for me on a duty weapon. With LPVOs taking the lead on working rifles it’s about the same schedule for battery maintenance. I’ll be happy when the technology catches up and an ACRO like optic becomes available with T-1 like battery life but this seems workable for now.

JHC
06-17-2019, 04:33 PM
¢.60 and a battery change once a month is a non issue for me on a duty weapon.

+1 It reminds me of a story from a veteran of too many gunfights to count across many deployments. On his camp in AFG in 2013 was a task force or SEALs, Rangers, and Delta elements. He said 80% were rocking EOTs. Their batteries were less than $0.60. ;)
If the optic delivers like others do not, there you go.

CleverNickname
06-17-2019, 05:57 PM
It'd be nice if Aimpoint added a motion sensor to the ACRO like the DPP has. That would immediately provide a gain in battery life just due to the 8+ hours a day when most people have their gun stored, motionless. I've never had a problem with the motion sensor on my DPP's not turning the sight on, and I can't remember reading about anyone saying their DPP's motion sensor failed, either.

GJM
06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
It'd be nice if Aimpoint added a motion sensor to the ACRO like the DPP has. That would immediately provide a gain in battery life just due to the 8+ hours a day when most people have their gun stored, motionless. I've never had a problem with the motion sensor on my DPP's not turning the sight on, and I can't remember reading about anyone saying their DPP's motion sensor failed, either.

Those of us shooting DeltaPoint Pro optics for multiple years have had numerous failures of the Pro’s motion sensor. Enough so, I would never trust a legacy Pro for EDC. Leupold has chosen a different technology for future Pro optics, and I am running three prototype Pros with the new technology.

andre3k
06-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Even Gabe has decided to chime in on this topic.

https://gabesuarez.com/the-truth-about-the-aimpoint-acro

Larry Sellers
06-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Looks like he got all his "various social Media posts" from this very thread....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sigfan26
06-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Looks like he got all his "various social Media posts" from this very thread....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He is a registered user, as I recall.

Grey
06-17-2019, 11:03 PM
He is a registered user, as I recall.

Give fucking credit to PF...

Sigfan26
06-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Message him that. User name Gabe Suarez.

einherjarvalk
06-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Gabe is a fucking chode and he's more likely to doxx me and threaten me with a lawsuit for saying such than he is to ever give anyone here credit or even properly assess the discussion beyond "LOOK THESE PEOPLE SAY WHAT I ALREADY BELIEVED SO THEREFORE I AM RIGHT".

I have no idea why anyone puts any value in the words of a man who claimed he was going to shoot up his own police station before God spoke to him and told him to stop.

Sigfan26
06-17-2019, 11:49 PM
Gabe is a fucking chode and he's more likely to doxx me and threaten me with a lawsuit for saying such than he is to ever give anyone here credit or even properly assess the discussion beyond "LOOK THESE PEOPLE SAY WHAT I ALREADY BELIEVED SO THEREFORE I AM RIGHT".

I have no idea why anyone puts any value in the words of a man who claimed he was going to shoot up his own police station before God spoke to him and told him to stop.

I’m not a Gabe apologist (worked for him for a while)... But how could he Doxx you or threaten you with a lawsuit?

einherjarvalk
06-17-2019, 11:56 PM
I’m not a Gabe apologist (worked for him for a while)... But how could he Doxx you or threaten you with a lawsuit?

Beats me, but based on his famous/infamous voicemail he left one of his customers, I wouldn't put it past him.

I lost interest in listening to what he had to say when I realized he went in cycles of "THIS IS THE GUN YOU MUST OWN IF YOU OWN ONLY ONE GUN" every 6-8 months (available pre-customized from Suarez International, of course). Reading about his little religious epiphany and hearing the voicemail where he threatened and publicly doxxed a customer over a chargeback dispute permanently deep sixed his reputation with me. Given his current sales of RMR-cut slides, I'm not at all surprised he's cruising p-f and other sites to put as much dirt on the ACRO and other competing optics as possible.

Sigfan26
06-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Beats me, but based on his famous/infamous voicemail he left one of his customers, I wouldn't put it past him.

I lost interest in listening to what he had to say when I realized he went in cycles of "THIS IS THE GUN YOU MUST OWN IF YOU OWN ONLY ONE GUN" every 6-8 months (available pre-customized from Suarez International, of course). Reading about his little religious epiphany and hearing the voicemail where he threatened and publicly doxxed a customer over a chargeback dispute permanently deep sixed his reputation with me. Given his current sales of RMR-cut slides, I'm not at all surprised he's cruising p-f and other sites to put as much dirt on the ACRO and other competing optics as possible.

He isn’t paying me, so I’m done commenting on the subject. He can’t “Doxx” anyone who hasn’t shopped with him. Have a nice day.

GJM
06-18-2019, 06:59 AM
The design of the battery compartment on the Acro does not look like they anticipated weekly battery changes.

HeavyDuty
06-18-2019, 07:04 AM
The design of the battery compartment on the Acro does not look like they anticipated weekly battery changes.

That’s one of my concerns.

JAD
06-18-2019, 07:09 AM

As I wrote, I’m not sure the battery contact methodology supports it either. When you change the battery, how long does it take?

Wayne Dobbs
06-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Y'all should probably quit worrying....

Sigfan26
06-18-2019, 08:13 PM
I bet if Aimpoint provided a list of expected battery life for each brightness setting people would. I’m sure Aimpoint has those numbers, either from empirical measurement of runtimes or based upon calculations/measurements of current draws, etc.

ETA: This isn’t to say I expect them to release such info. In fact, I’d be shocked if they did.

Awesome

SCSU74
06-18-2019, 09:47 PM
I dunno, personally I'm not seeing that big of an issue with the brightness settings. I just shot mine at a RDS class and used setting 7 the majority of the day in direct sun with dark tinted glasses [emoji2369] I bumped it up to 8 a few times, but preferred 7. 7 was also bright enough to be usable indoors with 600 lumen x300.

The enclosed nature and ability to set it to the brightness I want make it more appealing to me than the rmr.

Something I did notice is when my irons are lined up it seems my dot is very far to the left. I know you don't need them exactly in line, when I put the dot on target my irons are all wonky.

Confirmed zero and dot is on at 25 yards. Anyone else notice this? P320 with milled slide fwiw.

Tokarev
06-18-2019, 09:50 PM
P320 with milled slide

Who milled the slide?

SCSU74
06-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Who milled the slide?

Vulcan. Did an awesome job. Wrote the CAD program, cerakoted and returned in under 2 weeks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/f6aa278f4904c5c2faea22696e0c6789.jpg

Sigfan26
06-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Something I did notice is when my irons are lined up it seems my dot is very far to the left. I know you don't need them exactly in line, when I put the dot on target my irons are all wonky.

Can you adjust your irons to correspond to the dots location?

SCSU74
06-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Can you adjust your irons to correspond to the dots location?

My irons are actually shooting left, so to properly zero them it would make the dot issue worse. Just not sure if this is common? My DP dots hover over the front iron on all three.

EVP
06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Y'all should probably quit worrying....

Just curious if you had any data to provide on how long your battery typically was lasting and what settings you preferred.

I gather you have been running the ACRO longer then everyone here. Your input is very much appreciated.

BK14
06-19-2019, 10:51 AM
My irons are actually shooting left, so to properly zero them it would make the dot issue worse. Just not sure if this is common? My DP dots hover over the front iron on all three.

Nothing Acro specific in my response, but don’t pay attention to both sights at once. Independently zero your irons, then independently zero your red dot. You shouldn’t be indexing your red dot with your sights, or even be aware of where your sights are when shooting.

Both my RMR gun, and my co-worker’s RMR gun have a slightly different position of our irons. The important thing is that they’re both independently zeroed. With the Acro, there may be some slight distortion that causes the irons to be in a different spot from having to look through multiple panes of glass. So just confirm they’re zeroed and you should be good.

UNM1136
06-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Nothing Acro specific in my response, but don’t pay attention to both sights at once. Independently zero your irons, then independently zero your red dot. You shouldn’t be indexing your red dot with your sights, or even be aware of where your sights are when shooting.

Both my RMR gun, and my co-worker’s RMR gun have a slightly different position of our irons. The important thing is that they’re both independently zeroed. With the Acro, there may be some slight distortion that causes the irons to be in a different spot from having to look through multiple panes of glass. So just confirm they’re zeroed and you should be good.

From my rapidly rising learning curve, this. A co-witness with zeroed irons will get you in the ballpark, which you can then refine. When you zero the dot, then you can use the co-witness to verify zero. Every day, check the co-witness like you check chamber. If the sight picture is what you have learned to be correct, all is as good in the world as you can expect to be able to walk out the front door ready for what may come.

pat

SCSU74
06-19-2019, 04:01 PM

I did zero them independently, found the issue today.

The front sight was loose in the dovetail and was able to be moved with thumb pressure.

Very unimpressed with the Galloway irons. The rear was also out of spec and took our armorer about an hour to file/adjust the fit..

1Rangemaster
06-19-2019, 07:32 PM
GJM had a good idea when he started this thread on testing ACRO battery life. There have been a few posts which are connected to this-I put one in myself. I am sorry interested in this because I have one mounted, and am keeping a daily record of time on, level, etc. which I plan to post. There are several ACROs ordered by my department; I have been told
they will ship in a couple of weeks. I am concerned about battery life. I am hopeful this time period means Aimpoint is working the problem.
Respectfully to all, is there any way the posts related to battery life can be consolidated?
I appreciate those efforts, and look forward to more information.
Thank you

StraitR
06-20-2019, 06:33 PM
I did zero them independently, found the issue today.

The front sight was loose in the dovetail and was able to be moved with thumb pressure.

Very unimpressed with the Galloway irons. The rear was also out of spec and took our armorer about an hour to file/adjust the fit..

Somewhat of a thread drift, but I basically bed everything I mount on Glocks with blue 242 loctite.

Degrease both sights and the slide (front sight hole and rear dovetail). Use blue loctite on the bottom of the front sight (that contacts the top of the slide) as well as the screw. Make sure it's centered, then wipe off excess. Install rear sight, then after you verify zero and make any necessary adjustments, go back and run blue 242 loctite around all four edges of the rear sight and capillary action will suck it in. Wait a few minutes, then wipe away excess. With Ameriglo rear sights, or any rear sight that doesn't have a set screw, I'll do the rear twice. I've yet to have anything get knocked loose, and have no issue taking them off later.

BWT
06-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Somewhat of a thread drift, but I basically bed everything I mount on Glocks with blue 242 loctite.

Degrease both sights and the slide (front sight hole and rear dovetail). Use blue loctite on the bottom of the front sight (that contacts the top of the slide) as well as the screw. Make sure it's centered, then wipe off excess. Install rear sight, then after you verify zero and make any necessary adjustments, go back and run blue 242 loctite around all four edges of the rear sight and capillary action will suck it in. Wait a few minutes, then wipe away excess. With Ameriglo rear sights, or any rear sight that doesn't have a set screw, I'll do the rear twice. I've yet to have anything get knocked loose, and have no issue taking them off later.

YMMV - I switched to red loctite after having blue loctite work loose on the Glock front sight. My theory is the heat sitting above the barrel burnt off the loctite.

In every single other application 242 has worked great for me.

CDFIII
06-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Possible data point. Just saw an IG post from someone else running an Acro. He got 14 days on the highest setting using a brand new Duracell. He sat the gun on a shelf from the beginning of the test with no use.

GJM
06-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Just got back from traveling and checked the Acro. I put in a new battery and turned it to high a week ago Friday. The Acro has dimmed quite a bit from its fresh battery intensity, but the red dot is still on. Last time I looked, before I left on Thursday, the dot was full intensity. That appears to put it somewhere between seven and ten days on high.

theJanitor
06-24-2019, 05:45 PM
That appears to put it somewhere between seven and ten days on high.

With no heat. If actually firing the gun decreases battery performance, then getting 10 days will be optimistic.

TCB
06-24-2019, 06:23 PM
7-10 days, that’s actually pretty impressive to me...even in full AZ midday sunlight the high setting blooms. I’m not really sure what it’s intended use is other than maybe taking a shot at someone standing in front of a stadium lighting array?

David S.
06-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Possible data point. Just saw an IG post from someone else running an Acro. He got 14 days on the highest setting using a brand new Duracell. He sat the gun on a shelf from the beginning of the test with no use.

For reference, I believe that was John Dufresne of Kinetic Consulting. @mochabear_actual in case anyone is interested in following. He said he's going to test "9" next.

Cheers,
David S.

Rex G
06-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Well, this is disappointing. Sigh.

I reckon that the Acro is valid for those switched-on folks, willing to change power cells often, with a weapon that is regularly handled. I reckon that I will remain an iron-sight-and-white-light guy, for concealed carry guns, actually gravitating toward revolvers, for the foreseeable future.

StraitR
06-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Curious what specific Duracell model was used in the above test. Last I checked, Duracell does not have a CR1225 or 1225 equivalent (https://www.duracell.com/en-us/techlibrary/battery-cross-reference-chart).

ETA: FWIW, my Acro is still going. New Renata battery installed 6/5, used for a week on 8 day/7 night, shot a single box through it, then most of the remaining time has been on setting 7 since I've not been carrying it.

Quotron
06-24-2019, 10:56 PM
Curious what specific Duracell model was used in the above test. Last I checked, Duracell does not have a CR1225 or 1225 equivalent (https://www.duracell.com/en-us/techlibrary/battery-cross-reference-chart).

ETA: FWIW, my Acro is still going. New Renata battery installed 6/5, used for a week on 8 day/7 night, shot a single box through it, then most of the remaining time has been on setting 7 since I've not been carrying it.

If it is John Dufrense, his IG post states that it was an Energizer battery. He mentioned that Duracell does not make 1225s after a commenter stated his previous good fortune with Duracell batteries.

BigT
06-25-2019, 01:07 AM
7-10 days, that’s actually pretty impressive to me...even in full AZ midday sunlight the high setting blooms. I’m not really sure what it’s intended use is other than maybe taking a shot at someone standing in front of a stadium lighting array?
Fwiw under the african sun I set mine to max

TCB
06-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Damn, and I thought it was bright here in the desert...

TCinVA
06-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Because I've seen people in various places claiming a battery life of 7 days, I decided to do an experiment with my unit. I put a brand new Renata battery in mine at 6:11 pm on June 18 and set the optic to 9 and left it there.

The idea is to see just how long the battery lasts with the optic set to maximum.

My dot has not dimmed. It's still obnoxiously bright to the point it casts light that's visible in a dark room.

BigT
06-25-2019, 10:13 AM
I got my first Acro first week in April. Its not on a carry gun so it lives switched off most of the time. Battery died on the morning of June 15th. Three minutes before the briefing on stage one of a major match :)

TCB
06-25-2019, 01:35 PM
For another data point, just read a report of an ACRO continually set to level 8 going 2 months before it started to dim.

GJM
06-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Just got back from traveling and checked the Acro. I put in a new battery and turned it to high a week ago Friday. The Acro has dimmed quite a bit from its fresh battery intensity, but the red dot is still on. Last time I looked, before I left on Thursday, the dot was full intensity. That appears to put it somewhere between seven and ten days on high.

The dot is barely hanging in as of today, with the intensity of the dot on max, about like 5 with a fresh battery. Think this is 12 days since I started the test.

Tokarev
06-25-2019, 03:02 PM
The dot is barely hanging in as of today, with the intensity of the dot on max, about like 5 with a fresh battery. Think this is 12 days since I started the test.Interesting that you've gotten nearly 2x the run time I got with mine. I'll have to repeat with a fresh battery.

StraitR
06-25-2019, 06:19 PM
If it is John Dufrense, his IG post states that it was an Energizer battery. He mentioned that Duracell does not make 1225s after a commenter stated his previous good fortune with Duracell batteries.

Energizer does not make a CR1225 either. They make a 1225, but it's a different prefix than CR. I read the difference has something to do with power output, or max power output, but I'm not techy enough to articulate it more than that.

Interesting that you've gotten nearly 2x the run time I got with mine. I'll have to repeat with a fresh battery.

I've read A LOT of Amazon reviews on various CR1225, and I mean a shameful amount of time spent doing so. Every brand of CR1225 on Amazon has more than a few 1 star reviews stating things like "DOA" (dead on arrival), "only lasted a couple minutes", "dead after a day", or similar. Also, these are being reviewed from use in electronic thermometers, not continuous draw LED products like the Acro.

I'm beginning to think the 1225 size is simply more prone to storage drainage for one reason or another (poor manufacturing, heat, time, etc) than the batteries we are used to (CR2032/CR123a). Couple that with the meager 48mAh capacity, and I think we'll continue to see testing results all over the board, like we are in this thread. If that turns out to be the case, I think it will be difficult to determine a safe hard date for battery replacement, simply do to the variance from battery batch to battery batch.

ETA: Thank you for the Red Dot Sights subforum.

Tokarev
06-25-2019, 06:25 PM
I'm beginning to think the 1225 size is simply more prone to storage drainage for one reason or another...Couple that with the meager 48mAh capacity, and I think we'll continue to see testing results all over the board, like we are in this thread.

ETA: Thank you for the Red Dot Sights subforum.

I'm not an electrician and don't know about such things but I wonder how much variance there is from unit to unit in internal resistance. Maybe some units draw fractionally more juice when turned on.

Yes. Big thumbs up on the new subforum!

Trukinjp13
06-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Thank you to everyone who keeps updating battery life issues in great detail. I am at a loss to why Aimpoint chose this battery besides size.

Why oh why aimpoint???

Also sub forum is great, can not wait til all the red dot stuff is moved in here!

Default.mp3
06-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Energizer does not make a CR1225 either. They make a 1225, but it's a different prefix than CR. I read the difference has something to do with power output, or max power output, but I'm not techy enough to articulate it more than that.I'm not sure if they still make the CR1225, but it's certainly something that they had (it's very easy to find an Energizer CR1225 datasheet), so it might simply be NOS that people are using, though it's also quite possible that they are simply misspeaking. They do have a BR1225 these days for sure; CR and BR are simply different chemistries, and have different output characteristics. For RDS purposes, I'm leaning toward BRs being slightly better, as they have a more steady discharge curve, and also have lower levels of self-discharge (for storage purposes), along with slightly better tolerance of high temperatures. CRs have the advantage in high current draw applications, but I doubt that an RDS would be classified as such.

https://www.master-instruments.com.au/files/knowledge-centre/engineering/guides-and-selection-charts/panasonic___selecting_the_right_lithium_battery_br _or_cr_series.pdf

GJM
06-25-2019, 09:03 PM
The dot is barely hanging in as of today, with the intensity of the dot on max, about like 5 with a fresh battery. Think this is 12 days since I started the test.

The Acro is now dead. That makes 11.5 days, and some days less than that with full intensity available.

StraitR
06-25-2019, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure if they still make the CR1225, but it's certainly something that they had (it's very easy to find an Energizer CR1225 datasheet), so it might simply be NOS that people are using, though it's also quite possible that they are simply misspeaking. They do have a BR1225 these days for sure; CR and BR are simply different chemistries, and have different output characteristics. For RDS purposes, I'm leaning toward BRs being slightly better, as they have a more steady discharge curve, and also have lower levels of self-discharge (for storage purposes), along with slightly better tolerance of high temperatures. CRs have the advantage in high current draw applications, but I doubt that an RDS would be classified as such.

https://www.master-instruments.com.au/files/knowledge-centre/engineering/guides-and-selection-charts/panasonic___selecting_the_right_lithium_battery_br _or_cr_series.pdf

Excellent info. See, I knew somebody smarter would come along and splain' it. I've definitely seen the BR1225 Energizers on Amazon, but couldn't find any CR's. I checked the Energizer website, and it showed the BR's as their current equivalent. Not knowing enough about it, I figured there was a reason Aimpoint chose the CR version. What you said about the more steady BR discharge, combined with GJM's reported dimming then continuing to run for a couple days (on a CR), makes to grab a couple BR1225 Energizers and give it a whirl.

flyrodr
06-25-2019, 09:33 PM
The Acro is now dead. That makes 11.5 days, and some days less than that with full intensity available.

R.I.P.

I'm a big red dot fan, what with my aging eyes. And I'm pretty fastidious re: gun cleaning and maintenance. But, danged, however good it might otherwise be, I can't see a PMO with a less than two week battery life being a realistic choice.

I'd have a hard time going with a dot optic unless the battery life can be measured in at least months.

Really hope they get it sorted out. Quickly.

StraitR
06-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Can we clarify and standardize numerical references for power settings? I've seen some reference #9 as the highest setting.

TCB
06-25-2019, 10:05 PM
According to the manual the ACRO turns on at setting level 7 and 10 is the brightest. From what I’m gathering leaving it at 10 gets you about a week before dimming and 8 gets you about 2 months. (These times are just reported drain times from a couple individual units so not necessarily representative of all units / batteries) I’d be really interested in seeing drain times for levels 9 & 7 (my planned day / night settings)...

theJanitor
06-25-2019, 10:20 PM
I'd also like to see a side by side comparison from someone who has more than one ACRO (cough, GJM , cough). Both units with a fresh battery at the same time, both kept on the same brightness level, one left in ambient storage, and the other used on a practice gun.

This would, hopefully, tell us if a firing schedule will lessen the battery life. GJM's practice routine, would certainly add heat/shock into the equation

GJM
06-25-2019, 10:38 PM
I'd also like to see a side by side comparison from someone who has more than one ACRO (cough, GJM , cough). Both units with a fresh battery at the same time, both kept on the same brightness level, one left in ambient storage, and the other used on a practice gun.

This would, hopefully, tell us if a firing schedule will lessen the battery life. GJM's practice routine, would certainly add heat/shock into the equation

I just ordered some more batteries. I am about to head fishing to a remote lodge for a week, but when I am back maybe I can fire up two Acro’s on different settings and see how long they last.

dfeder530
06-26-2019, 12:24 AM
Has any one requested a simple chart from Aimpoint on battery life? Seems like they should have all the data on how long the battery will last on each individual setting. You would think it shouldn't be difficult to get it straight from them versus individuals independently testing their own units over the course of weeks or months. They've been tight lipped about even acknowledging the short battery life on day light settings.

StraitR
06-26-2019, 12:32 AM
According to the manual the ACRO turns on at setting level 7 and 10 is the brightest. From what I’m gathering leaving it at 10 gets you about a week before dimming and 8 gets you about 2 months. (These times are just reported drain times from a couple individual units so not necessarily representative of all units / batteries) I’d be really interested in seeing drain times for levels 9 & 7 (my planned day / night settings)...

That is my understanding as well. Press and hold either button, and it goes off. Hit either button, and it comes on at 7. Once on, pressing 'down' as many times as you want will result in going go down to 1, but not "off". So at the bottom (setting 1), your first press "up" is setting (or count) 2.

I'm mostly interested in setting 8, as I'm coming to find 8 usable in almost all lighting conditions I've tried so far. I'd like to see at least two months on setting 8, in which case I'd cut that in half to be safe and change the battery after the same monthly match. That should give me some use on 9 if need be, with a bit of time to spare, or at least that's my hope. If so, I can live with that, because it's easy and repeatable. If it gets less than two months on 8, then my half-life safety buffer puts me at random replacement times, and I'm not crazy about babysitting my carry gun that much.

I just ordered some more batteries. I am about to head fishing to a remote lodge for a week, but when I am back maybe I can fire up two Acro’s on different settings and see how long they last.

If you have a fresh battery, drop one in before you go and set it on 9 to get a free week. I have a feeling 8 will last longer than most are willing to 'set it and forget it' in the name of science, at least it is for me and my single unit.

GJM
06-26-2019, 07:26 AM
So, Wednesday, June 26 at 0625 mountain, I just put in a fresh Renata CR1225 and set the Acro to one setting below max. Will see how long it lasts.

GJM
06-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Hopefully one click down from max lasts a lot longer, because using full intensity is like going into afterburner on a tactical jet.

Joe Mac
06-26-2019, 05:40 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, just the first few and last few pages, but I can contribute this: Right around a month ago, our PD got an Acro for testing, mounted it on a G17, and kept it handy for instructors to try out when working classes. I worked yesterday and went to check it out of the armory; I was told the original battery had died several days ago, and been replaced. I don't know what setting it had been left on, but it's been a sunny month here.

So...yeah. Disapponting.

Tokarev
06-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Here's a response from one of Aimpoint's marketing people. This was prompted by my email asking about run time. Interesting what they recommend about batteries:

It runs over a year (constant-on) at setting 6. When it’s turned up to the brighter settings, the battery life decreases exponentially but I don’t know that data (how quickly it decreases). When you turn the sight on it turns on at setting 7, so you’d need to turn it down to setting 6 in order to get optimal battery performance…
Also, we recommend Varta or Renata batteries. Cheaper batteries (including Energizer) don’t provide the same amount of power.

azant
06-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Varta battery packaged with ACRO from factory was installed in the evening on 5-16-2019 and died on 6-27-2019 between 3PM and 5PM. Looks like about 40 days with setting 9 in daylight and setting 7 in low light. I could expect there to be more battery life in the winter with fewer hours of daylight, but will stick with a change every month until I get another optic and can do some more testing. One month battery changes don't bother me. I carry the gun on and off duty, so it is easy to pick a cleaning session the last week of every month to change the battery. Your Hourage May Vary.

TCinVA
06-28-2019, 04:46 PM
So Tuesday before last at 6:11 pm I installed a new battery (Renata) and left the setting on maximum since.

Today at 11:00 the dot was barely visible outside on the range. The dot was completely gone by 12:30.

That makes it not quite ten days of battery life at max brightness.

TCB
06-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Varta battery packaged with ACRO from factory was installed in the evening on 5-16-2019 and died on 6-27-2019 between 3PM and 5PM. Looks like about 40 days with setting 9 in daylight and setting 7 in low light. I could expect there to be more battery life in the winter with fewer hours of daylight, but will stick with a change every month until I get another optic and can do some more testing. One month battery changes don't bother me. I carry the gun on and off duty, so it is easy to pick a cleaning session the last week of every month to change the battery. Your Hourage May Vary.

This is exactly the data I’ve been waiting for, thank you!

1Rangemaster
06-29-2019, 08:06 AM
So, as a composite summary (observations with conservative comments):

Setting 10: One week at max power.

Setting 9: Under observation

Setting 8: Not determined at this time-to be tested(?)

Setting 7: Initial power level on startup. Coupled with a daylight setting of 9, 30 days+(reported 40).

Setting 6: Aimpoint specifies one year; no independent empirical observation.
The lower settings I am not interested in presently.

FWIW: my unit still running, about 14 days on new Renata battery. Will continue to observe until 30 days expire. Settings 6-7 night hours, 8 daylight.
Sincere thanks to everyone for reporting, and also definitely appreciate red dot forum!

Tokarev
06-29-2019, 08:08 AM
So, as a composite summary (observations with conservative comments):

Setting 7: Initial power level on startup. Coupled with a daylight setting of 9, 30 days+(reported 40);

Good summary.

Don't forget that Aimpoint says 6 months on #7

1Rangemaster
06-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Good summary.

Don't forget that Aimpoint says 6 months on #7

Thanks-I had missed that.
I can rationalize a 30 day battery schedule, though had hoped for more. My thinking right now is: setting 7 dusk to dawn, and I *think* setting 8 will work for me during “daylight” hours; I honestly can’t see going to “10”, but I am not in daylight desert conditions usually.
I am also thinking care should obviously be a exercised when changing levels-muzzle direction, finger position, etc.
All here are aware of this, of course, but it’s something to consider if/when units issued(any red dot).

Grant P
07-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Just made a month and 750 rounds through the ACRO, including 550 rounds in a 1 day workshop with Mike Levy.

Factory included battery installed on 4 June and the optic is usually set to "7" power, where it turns on, but has been on "9/10" during outdoor shooting in bright sunlight.

GJM
07-16-2019, 08:37 AM
So, Wednesday, June 26 at 0625 mountain, I just put in a fresh Renata CR1225 and set the Acro to one setting below max. Will see how long it lasts.

This morning, July 16, the battery in this Acro is nearly dead. I can see the dot, but at max for example, it is no brighter than the “one click below max” setting.

Check my math, but this looks like 21 days or three weeks, on the “one click below max” setting.

TCB
07-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Looks like (for me) at a day setting of 9 and a night setting of 8 this should easily give a month of constant on with a bit of a buffer. While not even in the same world as the RMR in terms of battery life if these battery run times are constant (more data needed for different conditions and with different battery brands) a replacement schedule can easily be put in place to make this optic workable. That makes me happy, $15 worth of batteries a year and a monthly change out is easy. I’ll be even more happier when they get the run life of this type of optic up to what we’re actually expecting.

GJM
07-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Just installed a new battery, Friday July 19, 2019, and set the Acro two clicks down from max.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
07-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Looks like (for me) at a day setting of 9 and a night setting of 8 this should easily give a month of constant on with a bit of a buffer. While not even in the same world as the RMR in terms of battery life if these battery run times are constant (more data needed for different conditions and with different battery brands) a replacement schedule can easily be put in place to make this optic workable. That makes me happy, $15 worth of batteries a year and a monthly change out is easy. I’ll be even more happier when they get the run life of this type of optic up to what we’re actually expecting.

I think this is a total non-issue also, I mean we are talking about what you would pay for a box of 9mm ball ammo. I mean, if you had to remove the ACRO to change the battery that would be different. It literally is just a matter of setting a reminder once a month or less depending on how you use the optic.

It loses against the RMR for battery life, but one single data point does not make it useless or stupid. You can only judge something on it's attributes as a whole, and to my thinking, having a sealed emitter within the housing alone is worth $15 per year to keep mud or other debris from causing trouble there.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
This may sound silly to some, but it is worth noting for anybody who thinks they might be getting too little battery life.

Where are you purchasing your Renata batteries from? Amazon?

Reason being, and I have no idea if there is such a thing out there, but counterfeits are always possible.

Buy from a reputable dealer, period, then you never have to wonder.

I would shop here personally, https://www.batteryjunction.com/renata-cr1225-cu.html

Wayne Dobbs
07-20-2019, 09:41 AM
This may sound silly to some, but it is worth noting for anybody who thinks they might be getting too little battery life.

Where are you purchasing your Renata batteries from? Amazon?

Reason being, and I have no idea if there is such a thing out there, but counterfeits are always possible.

Buy from a reputable dealer, period, then you never have to wonder.

I would shop here personally, https://www.batteryjunction.com/renata-cr1225-cu.html

Haven't noticed any issues with the Amazon sourced Renatas, but there are a TON of crap batteries listed alongside.

CLaw
07-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know why these seem to have been on backorder everywhere forever? Is there any word on Aimpoint making any changes to the design?

HCM
07-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know why these seem to have been on backorder everywhere forever? Is there any word on Aimpoint making any changes to the design?

Don’t know about changes, but they are waiting on a shipment. Then all the junkies gonna get well.... ;-)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/52064423-ceb6-4588-9114-e06b78472409