PDA

View Full Version : Women's World Cup 2019

Wyoming Shooter
06-11-2019, 03:44 PM
As this is posted, the USWNT is whooping Thailand 11 - 0. Alex Morgan has a hat trick + 1. As a lowly high school soccer referee, I LOVE IT! The US women look extremely sharp. The rest of the world should be afraid, very afraid.

Wyoming Shooter
06-11-2019, 03:56 PM
For you who watch more football than soccer, a 13 - 0 soccer score roughly equates to 91 - 0 in American football. Tune in. You'll smile if you do.

dontshakepandas
06-11-2019, 04:28 PM
I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I do enjoy watching the U.S. women's team occassionally.

I caught the end of this game. I'm not sure which goalie felt more useless at the end of the game. I saw some of the analysts were trashing the U.S. for running up the score which I think is crazy. It is professional sports, if you don't want the other team to run up the score, figure out a way to stop them. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't goal differential a potential factor in the FIFA World Cup anyways?

txdpd
06-11-2019, 05:46 PM
I've been on both ends of getting the score run up on. When you're losing that bad it doesn't feel any better when you know the other team is treating you like a fragile bitch that can't take a beating.

JTQ
06-11-2019, 06:17 PM
I watched the game. The US has a good squad, though Thailand is one of the weaker teams in the tournament.

In years past, I coached a lot of youth soccer, and likewise have been on both ends of a blowout.

I never liked the team on the winning end of a blowout playing "keep away" with the ball while theoretically trying to keep the score down. Just play the game, and take shots so I can get the ball back and try to score.

Of course in "Rec Leagues", I was never a fan of losing 13 - 0 and having all the goals scored by one kid. It was usually pretty easy to spread the goals around without telling the kids that's what you were trying to do, and you could usually keep the score from getting out of hand with substitutions.

That's one of the hard things with World Cup type competitions, as I think they only allow three substitutions, and when you come out of the game, you can't go back in.

Isaac
06-11-2019, 07:29 PM
goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87sgFl55FxE

TiroFijo
06-12-2019, 10:04 AM
For us foreigners women's soccer is not very popular... to say the least.

I understand some countries (and not only the USA) are very proud of their teams, and rightly so, but it is somewhat like being the tallest midget.

Same with women's rugby.

dontshakepandas
06-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Just saw another comment about running up the score and the commenter said that they didn't have an issue with the U.S. team continuing to play hard, but that it was in poor taste to celebrate every single goal like it was a gold medal winning goal.

I think this is a valid point. If it is the player's first international/world cup goal then go ahead and celebrate, but otherwise once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.

blues
06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Just saw another comment about running up the score and the commenter said that they didn't have an issue with the U.S. team continuing to play hard, but that it was in poor taste to celebrate every single goal like it was a gold medal winning goal.

I think this is a valid point. If it is the player's first international/world cup goal then go ahead and celebrate, but otherwise once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.

As they say, "act like you've been there before".

JTQ
06-12-2019, 10:57 AM
... once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.
I agree.

However, if you watched the game you can't blame Samantha Mewis for her goal celebration over-exuberance. Her teammates did more jumping around after her two goals than she did. She almost looks like she needs to hire a choreographer for her goal scoring celebrations.

Wyoming Shooter
06-12-2019, 12:17 PM
I've reffed gobs of high school games and seen only a tiny bit of poor sportsmanship. I don't consider celebrating a goal, especially a World Cup goal, to be unsporting in the least. There was no taunting of the Thais. In fact, after the game the US players literally embraced the Thais and exchanged kind words. The post game was classy, as is our team generally. Onward!

Chance
06-12-2019, 02:45 PM

TAZ
06-12-2019, 07:37 PM

Until some reporter or commentator whose never played the game beyond HS if at all accuses you of being an arrogant snob. This kind of drumming always brings out the commentary, generally it’s a lose lose situation for the team banging the drum. You’re an asshole for running up the score. You’re an asshole for celebrating. You’re an asshole for not celebrating. You’re an asshole for obviously toying with the opponent.... Ad nauseum.

I’ve not even come close to that level of play or coaching, but if I was at a meaningful tournament I wouldn’t have stopped or told my players to do so. You have a developmental plan for building team momentum, honing execution by the players, unscrewing lineups and identifying players who are struggling and shining. You are given 270 minutes to get that sorted. Minute 271 is go home and brood for 4 years time. Wasting 90 minutes of that time cause feelings is a good way to go home and lose your job.

I didn’t really think the USA played all that well. Slow pace, lots of technical slop, bad tactical decisions... Lots better that the Thai team, but had that game been against Germany we would have gone to the lockers down a goal or two.

Chance
06-16-2019, 12:27 PM
I don't know much about the game, but at this point, I'm pretty sure the main difference between men's soccer and women's soccer is that the men are better at faking injuries.

txdpd
06-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Brasil dropped to third in group C today with the three way tie between Italy, Australia, Brazil being broken by 1)Italy with the most net goals, and 2) Australia and 3) Brazil with same net goals but Australia having the more goals fielded.

With that being the system, there's a good reason to score any goals that you can, no matter how unsporting it might seem.

Wyoming Shooter
06-24-2019, 12:01 PM
The USWNT is now 3 - 0 in the 2019 World Cup. As this is written, they are tied with Spain 1 - 1 at half. This feels like the first true test for the USWNT. They need to come out strong in the 2nd half and put some early goals on the Spaniards. ELN

Suvorov
06-24-2019, 12:10 PM
I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling BS. I sure as heck ain't going to start watching women's soccer when they are doing it on foreign soil.....

Wyoming Shooter
06-25-2019, 10:52 AM
I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling BS. I sure as heck ain't going to start watching women's soccer when they are doing it on foreign soil.....

I haven't seen any USWNT players kneel during the 2019 World Cup. ONE player, Megan Rapinoe, is not singing the anthem. This does not dissuade me from watching and celebrating the performances of the USWNT.

Suvorov
06-25-2019, 11:29 AM
I haven't seen any USWNT players kneel during the 2019 World Cup. ONE player, Megan Rapinoe, is not singing the anthem. This does not dissuade me from watching and celebrating the performances of the USWNT.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/cxx_rapinoe_22.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Wyoming Shooter
06-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Sir - This photo is from 2016 or 2017. Rapinoe has not kneeled during the 2019 World Cup.

Suvorov
06-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Sir - This photo is from 2016 or 2017. Rapinoe has not kneeled during the 2019 World Cup.

Enjoy the World Cup Sir.....

Wyoming Shooter
06-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Enjoy the World Cup Sir.....

Will do. Please know how much I enjoy your aeronautics posts. Learning has occurred. Thanks!

RJ
06-25-2019, 03:23 PM
I have been watching the last few round of 16 matches.

Thoroughly enjoying the games. Today’s match between Japan and Netherlands; you’d think the Dutch height would be an advantage but they are tied 1:1 going late into the second half.

These ladies can play.

Wondering Beard
06-26-2019, 12:23 PM
I have been watching the last few round of 16 matches.

Thoroughly enjoying the games. Today’s match between Japan and Netherlands; you’d think the Dutch height would be an advantage but they are tied 1:1 going late into the second half.

These ladies can play.

The Japanese played better than the Dutch overall, IMO, and if they'd had a finisher in their team, the final score would have been different.

Predictions, loose ones that is :-)

Norway vs England: I haven't seen England play this tournament but I have seen the Norwegians and they are a compact, solid team that will frustrate England. I give Norway a slight edge.

France vs USA: No matter how much I want the USA to win this one, I give the edge to France. Their attack and defense down the wings is better than the American one and their midfield double pivot with Henry and Bussaglia can really stretch out the US team and break US possession. France's weakness is at the center of defense and starting the attack wide and at pace and tucking in can breakdown the French; this is where players with pace (replace Rapineau with Press as a starter) and technical ability (Mewis, Horan and Lavelle in midfield, Heath on the right wing)) can win this one. But I feel the French are slightly better at this in this tournament. I hope I'm wrong.

Italy vs Netherlands: slight edge to Italy. Their defense is really solid and their counterattack fast (classic Italian football) while the Dutch attack is powerful but their defense weak if not uncoordinated.

Germany vs Sweden: while the Germans (as always) are good everywhere and are quite capable of breaking down this Swedish team, Sweden's midfield and defense has shown they can undo any attack. If the Germans can't breakthrough, they'll have to commit numbers and be very vulnerable to the Swede's creative and fast counter (as happened to Canada). Still Germany has the edge.

Right now, I'm seeing a France vs Germany final. If the US wins, the final will likely still be against Germany but Italy has shown itself to be more capable than anyone expected, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up in the final.

JTQ
06-26-2019, 12:48 PM
...Mewis, Horan and Lavelle in midfield ...
This tournament is my first time seeing these three ladies play. They are good.

This may not be the USA's best team, but they sure seem deep off the bench. It seems as if no matter who has to come out of the game (I don't know who the back up keeper is, so no comment there), there is no drop off with the replacement.

RJ
06-28-2019, 03:27 PM
I tell ya. These US gurlz came to play. 2-0 over France at 67”.

Too much dicking* around with the ball in mid field. That last sub to bring in Horan was way over due.

* That may or may not apply in this particular tournament, but forgive me, I’m still new to supporting Women’s football. :cool:

Wondering Beard
06-28-2019, 05:50 PM
I tell ya. These US gurlz came to play. 2-0 over France at 67”.

Too much dicking* around with the ball in mid field. That last sub to bring in Horan was way over due.

* That may or may not apply in this particular tournament, but forgive me, I’m still new to supporting Women’s football. :cool:

I disagree, midfield is where tempo is created or destroyed (both on purpose). The US broke up French play well and even while giving away the ball too many times (something way too many teams are doing in this tournament), the US' defense (including midfield -pulling Hertz back to serve as essentially a libero was quite smart) gave very few options for the French to get creative (Bussiglia sort of disappeared in the game).

I had thought that Dunn would get run over by Diani and Torrent but she not only battled them efficiently but relaunched midfield possession quite well. Dunn is not a natural left back, never mind a wing back, she's actually a midfielder but she truly impressed me. O'hara, with Heath, shut down the other wing and Majri slowly disappeared.

I think Horan came on at the right time as Lavelle was getting exhausted but I wish Press had come on earlier -nothing against Rapinoe who was great, but stretching the French on the left should have happened before Renard got her a goal and young fresh legs will do that.

The US defense, so long proclaimed their weakness, did great. Jill Ellis got old style Dutch with that high defensive line that caught the French time and again in offside blunting their creative attacks; when we played deeper in our own half is when things got really dangerous, and conceded a goal.

I am so very glad I was wrong.

Next is England, a team I severely underestimated. The US has the toughest trip to the final.

Wondering Beard
06-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Predictions, loose ones that is :-) [...]

Well, I'm 0-4 on that front, so I won't make anymore.

Still, the matches were exciting, even if the level of soccer isn't that great.

RJ
07-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Zounds!

Congrats to the USA team, 2-1 over England. Just caught the last ten minutes and missed the action as I was at work.

I hope it's on repeat sometime so I can watch it later.

Wondering Beard
07-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Zounds!

Congrats to the USA team, 2-1 over England. Just caught the last ten minutes and missed the action as I was at work.

I hope it's on repeat sometime so I can watch it later.

Fox Sports 1 at 8 eastern.

I missed it too and will be watching.

Wyoming Shooter
07-03-2019, 08:19 AM
That was a quality win over England. The Brits played very well. You gotta love Alex Morgan sipping tea after her goal. Onward!

Wondering Beard
07-04-2019, 11:59 AM
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/07/03/11/alex.jpg

blues
07-04-2019, 12:01 PM
I hope they won't be smokin' anything from Amsterdam the Netherlanders may offer before the game. ;)

When is the final, by the way?

JTQ
07-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Sunday, 11:00 AM Eastern

Wondering Beard
07-04-2019, 12:17 PM
I hope they won't be smokin' anything from Amsterdam the Netherlanders may offer before the game. ;)

What's wrong with gouda? ;-)

Sunday at 11 am Eastern on Fox Sports (channel 219 on Directv).

Wondering Beard
07-07-2019, 01:33 PM
US WINS!

2-0

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/wcup3.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770

While some of you didn't want to watch this US team due to the political actions of a couple of players (and I can understand that), I watched our team throughout this whole tournament (missed the semi against England but watched it again later) and I'll tell you, those gals have grit down to the bone marrow, no quit, justified swagger, always battling, always looking to win, always there for each other. This team is quintessentially American.

It was a pleasure to watch them.

blues
07-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Rapinoe's goal was a nice way to start. Lavelle's goal was a thing of beauty.

JHC
07-07-2019, 01:48 PM
US WINS!

2-0

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/wcup3.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770

While some of you didn't want to watch this US team due to the political actions of a couple of players (and I can understand that), I watched our team throughout this whole tournament (missed the semi against England but watched it again later) and I'll tell you, those gals have grit down to the bone marrow, no quit, justified swagger, always battling, always looking to win, always there for each other. This team is quintessentially American.

It was a pleasure to watch them.

I enjoyed it. Nice for them. Fear the giant population with all the money that catches passionate energy for your sport.

American superstars of sport have an asshole gene a lot. I prefer when everyone respects the sport. (Thailand match?)

Can't expect them to act like MOH recipients.

It's ok. Good for women's soccer.

JTQ
07-07-2019, 02:01 PM
A good game and great win for the US.

Before the second half began, and the announcers were finishing up covering what they thought the US needed to do for the win, I told my daughter they need to get Crytal Dunn and Rose Lavelle open in space to make something happen. Rose Lavelle open in space for the icing on the cake goal.

I watched all the teams games in this year's Cup, and the thing that continued to amaze me throughout the tournament was how deep this squad was. In past Cup's, there always was a couple of players you were hoping didn't get hurt because you'd really be hurt by their absence. Not this year. Somebody gets hurt, or has run out of gas, and somebody else goes in and plays just as well, and sometimes better.

Wyoming Shooter
07-07-2019, 02:34 PM
The USAWNT is certainly the most talented, top to bottom, team in the tournament. That said, I was more impressed by the work ethic. It will be interesting to see how USSF handles the pay equity law suit. It's hard for me to imagine a successful defense given the USAWNT's popularity and financial productivity.

RJ
07-07-2019, 03:15 PM
WOOHOO! Nice win by the Women’s USA team. They dominated the Dutch the whole match.

Congrats!

RoyGBiv
07-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Wife and I are in the lumber section at Lowes.
I look at my watch and realize "IT'S 10:49, I'M MISSING THE GAME".
Got home, turned on the TV at 60:05. Talk about timing.
Didn't miss too much.

I feel bad that politics has seeped in to what would otherwise have been completely awesome.

Truth: Men's soccer is BORING, Women's soccer is not.
The why is tough to nail down.

wvincent
07-08-2019, 09:38 AM
The USAWNT is certainly the most talented, top to bottom, team in the tournament. That said, I was more impressed by the work ethic. It will be interesting to see how USSF handles the pay equity law suit. It's hard for me to imagine a successful defense given the USAWNT's popularity and financial productivity.

Pretty easy to imagine a successful defense based on ticket sales, viewership, and sponsorship's. Not taking anything away from them or their Championship, but they just don't drive the numbers like the male teams do.

It's either a free market or social justice for "equality".

Personally, I choose free market.

Wondering Beard
07-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Pretty easy to imagine a successful defense based on ticket sales, viewership, and sponsorship's. Not taking anything away from them or their Championship, but they just don't drive the numbers like the male teams do.

At the club level, I would tend to agree but not at the national team level. It seems (I can't find the article anymore) that National Women's team is actually bringing at least as much, if not more, that the men's team (for the US that is).

Wyoming Shooter
07-08-2019, 10:24 AM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanlake/2019/07/02/uswnt-fight-for-equality-in-the-us-while-taking-on-the-world-in-the-world-cup/#375ba20e7b68

"The Wall Street Journal conducted an audit of US Soccer’s available financials and found that US Soccer is correct in their assertion that the revenue numbers between the two national teams are not equal. The WNT team has out-earned the MNT by $1.87 million since 2016..."

Matt O
07-08-2019, 10:41 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanlake/2019/07/02/uswnt-fight-for-equality-in-the-us-while-taking-on-the-world-in-the-world-cup/#375ba20e7b68

"The Wall Street Journal conducted an audit of US Soccer’s available financials and found that US Soccer is correct in their assertion that the revenue numbers between the two national teams are not equal. The WNT team has out-earned the MNT by $1.87 million since 2016..."

The Forbe's article then goes on to say that we don't have a full picture of the earnings. In addition, I believe the USWNT are directly employed by US Soccer and therefore have differing contracts from the members of the men's team who are all employed by various teams or clubs around the country/world and receive separate additional compensation when playing for the USMNT.

In addition, the article and complaint cites World Cup bonuses, which, as per WAPO (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/womens-soccer-players-sue-us-federation-for-gender-discrimination/2019/03/08/c90ca69c-41ba-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html?utm_term=.5c3fa80ecf17), are governed by FIFA, not US Soccer, and are pretty substantially different, based unsurprisingly on the popularity of men's soccer internationally and the accompanying revenue streams. The men's world cup has a bonus pool of $400 million for 32 teams versus $30 million for 24 teams in the women's world cup.

So basically, the men's and women's teams have drastically different employment and contract structures which makes an apples to apples comparison rather difficult. In addition, a non-US governing body pays more for men's team world cup performances based on revenue and demand. It'll be interesting to see if an objective look can be taken at the former issue, but for the latter, I fail to see how this is US Soccer's problem...

wvincent
07-08-2019, 10:48 AM

If you don't cherry pick, and actually read the entire article, and most every other factual article available, you will see the complete picture.
Revenue generation.
Also, the WNT does receive a salary, however, the men's team has larger bonus's.

Wyoming Shooter
07-08-2019, 10:58 AM
If you don't cherry pick, and actually read the entire article, and most every other factual article available, you will see the complete picture.
Revenue generation.
Also, the WNT does receive a salary, however, the men's team has larger bonus's.

Ryan Lake, the Forbes author, concludes his article as follows:

"US Soccer has made revenue numbers the pivotal consideration in the pay discrepancy. A US Soccer representative stated,

“market realities are such that the women do not deserve to be paid equally to the men.”

It would appear that the current market, in reality, supports the position of the WNT players..."

wvincent
07-08-2019, 11:12 AM
“market realities are such that the women do not deserve to be paid equally to the men.”
Tis true. We may support our WNT, but FIFA knows what the revenue draw really is.
Remember when the crowd was chanting"equal pay"? If the crowd watching them on TV was larger, then they wouldn't have to chant.

TiroFijo
07-08-2019, 11:42 AM
The truth is women's soccer is not very popular worldwide, to put it politely...

I still remember when the USA won the world cup in 1999, plus the olympic gold medal in Atlanta 1996, and silver in Sidney 2000.

All the USA press went bersek with Mia Hamm "the best female soccer player in the world", while absolutely nobody else cared about both the titles or the player. It was like a title/medal in sinchronized swimming (I would rather watch the grass grow) or something like that.

blues
07-08-2019, 11:57 AM
The truth is women's soccer is not very popular worldwide, to put it politely...

I still remember when the USA won the world cup in 1999, plus the olympic gold medal in Atlanta 1996, and silver in Sidney 2000.

All the USA press went bersek with Mia Hamm "the best female soccer player in the world", while absolutely nobody else cared about both the titles or the player. It was like a title/medal in sinchronized swimming (I would rather watch the grass grow) or something like that.

It's similar in other sports as well. I recognize that women in the WNBA and in the UFC are some excellent athletes and in the case of the UFC, MMA practitioners. At the same time, I have no great interest in watching them compete (but for rare matches).

That said, I support their efforts and endeavors and unequivocally concede that women are every bit our equal in most arenas, and deserve our full support both legally and ethically in seeing that they have access to the same opportunities to succeed or fail as their male counterparts.

Arbninftry
07-08-2019, 12:58 PM
I don’t know anything about Soccer, but Alex Morgan makes it worth watching.