PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 LTT spare parts?

perlslacker
06-11-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm switching from M&Ps to a 92 LTT for nightstand & match duty. For my M&Ps, I would always keep a spare striker assembly in my range bag b/c I knew they were prone to breakage. What parts are prone to breakage on the 92? What should I keep in my range bag?

I know trigger return springs are known to break but that's it.

(I searched the forum for this and didn't find anything)

e: after searching for "beretta 92 maintenance schedule" instead of "beretta 92 spare parts" I found this post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8957-General-Maintenance-Schedule-for-Pistols&p=148905&viewfull=1#post148905

Beretta 92:

Most important is to replace recoil spring and trigger return spring every 5000 rounds. This prevents the gun from battering itself with extra stress on the locking block. The latest gen locking block is usually good for 25,000+ rounds, but you may want to replace it at 20,000. I will also clean out the extractor channel every 5000 rounds. The extractor pin is staked into the slide, so it may not be a good idea/necessary to excessively clean the extractor channel. I have never run into an issue with broken firing pin or worn firing pin springs. I believe the gun will still function with a broken firing pin.

Any suggestions for trigger bar spring and slide stop spring? Mine have never been replaced (10,000rds) and I have yet to see any breakages or performance degradation.

Spare parts I keep:
recoil springs, trigger return springs, trigger bar springs, extractor spring + extractor, locking block + plunger,

farscott
06-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Not being snarky, but I use a spare 92 LTT pistol as any failure is likely to require more time to teardown and replace than I have. The spare pistol allows me to worry about the deadlined pistol once I am home. That way I also am not worrying about little detents and springs. I do suggest keeping spare locking block kits and inspecting the one in the pistol when you clean and lube.

perlslacker
06-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Not being snarky, but I use a spare 92 LTT pistol as any failure is likely to require more time to teardown and replace than I have. The spare pistol allows me to worry about the deadlined pistol once I am home. That way I also am not worrying about little detents and springs. I do suggest keeping spare locking block kits and inspecting the one in the pistol when you clean and lube.

I know that having a spare gun is the best policy (I used to keep my old 4.25" M&P as a spare after I switched to the Pro) but until I convince my wife that it's a good time to buy another $1k gun I'd like to have a $25-$50 parts kit to tide me over.

JSGlock34
06-11-2019, 02:59 PM
For a range bag? Perhaps a spare recoil spring. Replacing a trigger return spring on a 92 isn't like popping in a new trigger spring on a Glock.

The CDNN spare parts kit are a good value but do not include springs.

BERETTA 92 96 M9 FACTORY PARTS KIT 12 PIECE (https://www.cdnnsports.com/beretta-92-96-m9-factory-parts-kit-12-piece.html?___SID=U#.XP78mS2ZPBI)

Hambo
06-11-2019, 03:03 PM
What I replace most are recoil springs and mag springs.

Less frequently, locking blocks and FP springs.

I did break a firing pin, so I keep at least one around.

Never broke a trigger return spring, and I think I've only replaced one on general principles, but I do have spares.

beenalongtime
06-11-2019, 03:58 PM
I'm switching from M&Ps to a 92 LTT for nightstand & match duty. For my M&Ps, I would always keep a spare striker assembly in my range bag b/c I knew they were prone to breakage. What parts are prone to breakage on the 92? What should I keep in my range bag?

I know trigger return springs are known to break but that's it.

(I searched the forum for this and didn't find anything)

e: after searching for "beretta 92 maintenance schedule" instead of "beretta 92 spare parts" I found this post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8957-General-Maintenance-Schedule-for-Pistols&p=148905&viewfull=1#post148905

Link just posted on the Beretta forum in the last couple days:
http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1067/

AdioSS
06-11-2019, 11:03 PM
I did break a firing pin, so I keep at least one around.
To be fair, he won’t know the firing pin is broken unless he detail strips the slide. On the 92 the firing pin will continue to function even when they break.

Unless he somehow breaks the tip off the pin?

Hambo
06-12-2019, 05:36 AM
To be fair, he won’t know the firing pin is broken unless he detail strips the slide. On the 92 the firing pin will continue to function even when they break.

Incorrect, sir. When the FP breaks, the forward section is no longer captured by the FP spring. With the slide locked, you can see the tip extend beyond the breech face.

Until the mag body or feed lips are toast, they get new Wolff springs.

JonInWA
06-12-2019, 07:30 AM
My recommendation for spare parts to have on hand:

1. Trigger return spring (Wilson chrome silicon or Wolff TCU at INS/Factory weight)

2. Triggerbar spring (NEVER had one break, but just have one because it can be so critical)

3. Extractor spring (Wilson chrome silicon-standard weight works just fine)

4. Recoil spring (Wilson, Beretta or Wolff)

5. A Gen 3 (current one from Beretta) locking block

6. A decent set of punches (both for solid and roll pins) and gunsmithing screwdrivers (Brownells)

7. Access to a computer and YouTube (to see decent videos from Beretta, childofjuly, langdon tactical and MoisinVirus for takedown and reassembly sequences)

8. Quality lubricants-my personal preferences are Weapon Shield, Dri-Slide, and Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2

Best, Jon

ccmdfd
06-12-2019, 08:24 AM

1. Trigger return spring (Wilson chrome silicon or Wolff TCU at INS/Factory weight)

2. Triggerbar spring (NEVER had one break, but just have one because it can be so critical)

6. A decent set of punches (both for solid and roll pins) and gunsmithing screwdrivers (Brownells)

7. Access to a computer and YouTube (to see decent videos from Beretta, childofjuly, langdon tactical and MoisinVirus for takedown and reassembly sequences)

8. Quality lubricants-my personal preferences are Weapon Shield, Dri-Slide, and Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2

Best, Jon

I like that list.

FYI, Beretta makes a spare parts kit which has pretty much everything you might need (minus tools though). Comes in a plastic tackle box tray.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-kit-spare-parts-for-pistols-92-series/ek68615/

cc

JonInWA
06-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Some of those replacement intervals strike me a being excessively aggressive (not that that's a bad thing per se, but I feel is just a bit early and/or unnecessary);

Replacing the hammer and firing pin springs at 5K rounds I think is way early in their viable lifespan; when I spoke with a BUSA tech rep he literally couldn't recall hearing of or seeing a failed firing pin spring; while I did replace mine at the approxinately 12K round interval level, it was more because I had a Wilson chrome silicon replacement one on hand that I wanted to try, as opposed to any perceived actual need.

I have no idea what the viable lifespan of the hammer/main spring is, but I strongly suspect that it's WAY longer than 5K rounds; I used my OEM 16 lb one (I have a 92D, the 16 lb/D spring is the OEM one for that model) for at least a decade and approximately 6K-8K rounds with absolutely zero issues, replaced it initially with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 14 lb one in conjunction with installation of the Wilson Combat triggerbar, and after a year or so went to a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 13 lb one. Wilson Combat chrome silicon springs are advertised as "lifetime" springs, so we'll see.

Interestingly, the BUSA recommendation doesn't address the extractor spring replacement interval; while I never had any issues with my OEM one, I replaced it at about the 10K-11K round count, as I had a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one on hand that I wanted to try (I actually had both the standard-weight one and their increased weight one; I went with the standard weight and have been pleased with it). Since you're "already in there" if you're performing an annual extractor and extractor chamber cleaning protocol, it's again probably a best practice to simply concurrently replace the extractor spring as dirt-cheap preventive maintenance. I recommend the Wilson Combat chrome silicon ones, although the OEM Beretta ones are probably perfectly adequate.

I replaced my Gen 2 locking block with the current Beretta Gen 3 one at the 12K round count interval, as what I felt was prudent preventive maintenance.

Best, Jon

beenalongtime
06-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Some of those replacement intervals strike me a being excessively aggressive (not that that's a bad thing per se, but I feel is just a bit early and/or unnecessary);

Replacing the hammer and firing pin springs at 5K rounds I think is way early in their viable lifespan; when I spoke with a BUSA tech rep he literally couldn't recall hearing of or seeing a failed firing pin spring; while I did replace mine at the approxinately 12K round interval level, it was more because I had a Wilson chrome silicon replacement one on hand that I wanted to try, as opposed to any perceived actual need.

I have no idea what the viable lifespan of the hammer/main spring is, but I strongly suspect that it's WAY longer than 5K rounds; I used my OEM 16 lb one (I have a 92D, the 16 lb/D spring is the OEM one for that model) for at least a decade and approximately 6K-8K rounds with absolutely zero issues, replaced it initially with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 14 lb one in conjunction with installation of the Wilson Combat triggerbar, and after a year or so went to a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 13 lb one. Wilson Combat chrome silicon springs are advertised as "lifetime" springs, so we'll see.

Interestingly, the BUSA recommendation doesn't address the extractor spring replacement interval; while I never had any issues with my OEM one, I replaced it at about the 10K-11K round count, as I had a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one on hand that I wanted to try (I actually had both the standard-weight one and their increased weight one; I went with the standard weight and have been pleased with it). Since you're "already in there" if you're performing an annual extractor and extractor chamber cleaning protocol, it's again probably a best practice to simply concurrently replace the extractor spring as dirt-cheap preventive maintenance. I recommend the Wilson Combat chrome silicon ones, although the OEM Beretta ones are probably perfectly adequate.

I replaced my Gen 2 locking block with the current Beretta Gen 3 one at the 12K round count interval, as what I felt was prudent preventive maintenance.

Best, Jon
rI figure they put the worst case (best case for their parts sales), out there, in part due to lawyers. Probably know for many, those replace round counts are decades away (drawer gun), where time would be the bigger factor.

That said, springs are pretty cheap to have on hand for insurance, and a duplicate gun to use until time to fix your main one, in my view. (use their info as a base and adjust as needed)

Only seen one rusted and broken hammer spring, and that was on a recent post over at Beretta forum.

Trooper224
06-13-2019, 12:02 PM
The last hammer spring I replaced (D type) lasted for 22k rounds before it started to exhibit light strikes. I used to replace the trigger return spring every 5k rounds as recommended. As an experiment, I decided to forego that on my training gun and just let it ride. The current TRS has over 17k rounds fired, with an unknown number of pulls during dry fire. I never replaced a firing pin spring. Honestly, a second gun in the range bag is a the most practical option. If anything goes wrong with a 92 on the range it will usually require a tool kit and bench to remedy. If a second gun isn't feasible I might just carry an extra locking block in my bag and call it good.

Gadfly
06-13-2019, 01:01 PM

Best, Jon

^^ Good info^^

I had about 250 of them in the Houston office back when we were INS.

Saw one broken trigger bar spring.
A couple broken extractors (i suspect folks dropping a lose round in the chamber and dropping the slide, rather than racking the first round from the mag.)
Saw one locking block break in the Sheriff's Academy.

Overall, the guns in my office ran well. I recall HCM saying his office had cracked frames (in .40).

JonInWA
06-13-2019, 01:10 PM
The broken extractor part is interesting; part of the M9/M10 criteria was that the gun be designed to allow direct chamber drop-in loading; the M9/92 and Ruger P85/P89 are two pistols that specifically allow for that, ostensibly without incurring damage. The Ruger P85/P89 extractors are large and heavy enough to probably double as bridge girders if necessary...

(Personally, I only recommend magazine loading, though)

The 92's triggerbar spring is somewhat exposed internally on the receiver, so I can see how that could be subject to damage, especially with a careless and overly vigorous cleaning brush....

Best, Jon

Gadfly
06-13-2019, 01:21 PM
The broken extractor part is interesting; part of the M9/M10 criteria was that the gun be designed to allow direct chamber drop-in loading; the M9/92 and Ruger P85/P89 are two pistols that specifically allow for that, ostensibly without incurring damage. The Ruger P85/P89 extractors are large and heavy enough to probably double as bridge girders if necessary...

(Personally, I only recommend magazine loading, though)

The 92's trigger bar spring is somewhat exposed internally on the receiver, so I can see how that could be subject to damage, especially with a careless and overly vigorous cleaning brush....

Best, Jon

The trigger bar spring was on an Instructor's gun that was well used. During the course of fire, he turned the gun upside down and fired a few rounds just to show it could still be used in a pinch with gravity moving the trigger bar. The one broken extractor was also on an Instructor gun. The other broken extractor... I am having a hard time remembering who it was... but I recall the instructors talking about how we need to tell him to NOT drop rounds directly in the barrel.

JonInWA
06-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Apparently Instructors share the same innate qualities as our Mods here, then??

(Just kidding, Tom and LL). So much for any expectations for preferential treatment for me in the foreseeable future.....

Best, Jon

AdioSS
06-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Incorrect, sir. When the FP breaks, the forward section is no longer captured by the FP spring. With the slide locked, you can see the tip extend beyond the breech face.
I was going off the posts I’ve seen of others who have found their firing pin broken while doing a deep cleaning of the slide. Most didn’t know because the gun just kept working. Unless one of my current firing pins are broken, I have yet to break one. I’ll be sure to check to see if any protrude out the hole soon.

Only seen one rusted and broken hammer spring, and that was on a recent post over at Beretta forum.
That was mine. And to be fair, that was in a 90-two frame that isn’t sealed along the back of that channel. I’m also questioning if leaving it essentially in a state of half-cock while using the Type C hammer may have been a contributing factor? But other guns are left cocked & locked with the spring considerably more stressed, so I don’t know. It was probably just a poorly finished spring.

EVP
08-13-2020, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread and ask a question.

Has anyone broken a G model de cocking spring?
My original broke, replaced it and probably less then 2k manipulations it has broken again. Not a big deal but mildly annoying.

Does anyone make a chrome silicone spring?

Greg Bell
08-13-2020, 11:00 AM

My original broke, replaced it and probably less then 2k manipulations it has broken again. Not a big deal but mildly annoying.

Hey,

Was this an original G type or one of the more recent G drop-in kits?

I have two 92Gs, one of each type. My older gun is a 92G-Sd and I have beat the shit out of it for years of crappy Russian ammo, poor cleaning, etc with nothing but a single recoil spring swap. It is north of 10k and I will check my log book. My second is a 92A3 with newer G kit but it has about 150 rounds so I have nothing to go on.

EVP
08-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Hey,

Was this an original G type or one of the more recent G drop-in kits?

It is the new style lever on the LTTs elites. I am prob in the future go to the old style and have Wilson machine the slide for a single sided de cocker.

TicTacticalTimmy
08-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Out of curiousity, what happens when the decocker spring breaks? Does it stop the pistol from functioning, or do you just need to manually push the decocker lever back up after decocking and then it stays in the up position when firing?

EVP
08-13-2020, 03:46 PM
It just stays down and you have to manually push it back up

EVP
04-22-2021, 07:05 PM

Just a quick update

Broke my 3rd decocking spring. I am making sure I am not binding it up or anything when installing. Don’t know what is going on.

I mentioned awhile back that I think it would be awesome if LTT would make a armorers video with tips/ tricks of things to look for. I would gladly pay money for it and think it could make LTT a little something as well.

Also LTT needs to create and armorers block like Apex has for different guns. The slide contours makes stability a constant struggle. Haha

TheNewbie
04-22-2021, 07:22 PM
Are decocker springs breaking an issue with the 92fs or m9?

EVP
04-22-2021, 08:01 PM
No, I have not really heard anyone who has broken one.

Noah
04-23-2021, 09:07 AM
Came here to say what John said.

NuJudge
04-25-2021, 10:37 AM
I really like the Mac-Gar !8-round magazines used by Beretta and LTT, but one I have used a lot developed a weak spring quickly, manifesting itself in the slide not locking back after the last round. Spares are available from Bec-Gar, and there is a thread on it here.

If you want to stretch the maintenance interval for the recoil spring, think about switching to the Wilson flat wire spring and its special guide rod.

I have a spare pre-fit 92 extractor in my field repair kit for my 92 as a result of my adventures after I broke an extractor in the middle of a pistol match. Install the spare and see if it works before you trust it.