PDA

View Full Version : Glad we don't do this

da6dspanburg
03-30-2012, 12:30 PM
This comes off a Photography Blog, but I swear it sounds like some other gun forums I've read in the past..........

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Especially the line:

Banger: A real carpenter could have done that with rusty wire and a rock. It’s not about the equipment, it’s about the carpenter.

david

NickA
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Oh wow, they're Just. Like. Us. :) So what's the photography equivalent to 9mm vs 45 flame wars?
Hilarious read and a good reminder. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bdcheung
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
It's so true.

It's just as bad on bicycle racing forums. Shimano vs. Campagnolo vs. SRAM. I swear there's something about men that makes us constantly want to compare "equipment" and justify the existence or use of our own.

NickA
03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
It's so true.

It's just as bad on bicycle racing forums. Shimano vs. Campagnolo vs. SRAM. I swear there's something about men that makes us constantly want to compare "equipment" and justify the existence or use of our own.

Amen. BTDT and got the box full of cycling stuff I need to sell to prove it.

bdcheung
03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Amen. BTDT and got the box full of cycling stuff I need to sell to prove it.

I can't part with some of it. Already sold my SRM, one set of carbon wheels, and a bunch of consumables (lightweight chains, cassettes, chainrings, etc.)

But I think I'd regret selling off the carbon frame and wheels my wife bought me as a trophy for winning my first race.

da6dspanburg
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
So what's the photography equivalent to 9mm vs 45 flame wars?

Canon vs Nikon vs Sony or Full-Size Sensors vs APC-Sized Sensors vs Micro 4/3rd Sensors....... And Let's not get started on stuff like Tripods and bags.......

orionz06
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I need carbon tubulars to commute 10 miles to work on a CAAD10 with Shimano 105 according to them....

David Armstrong
03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
It's so true.

AAAGH! Since I tend to argue that comparison is rather silly and it really doesn't matter does that make me unmanly???:confused:

Serenity
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Add classic Mustang and breed-specific horse forums to the list. I guess it's just human nature. What it tells me is that we all have way too much free time.

JConn
03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Musicians are the same way...

MikeyC
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
It seems to almost be the life blood of certain forums. Sometimes it's seems the more like an skill/hobby draws in the alpha male crowd the more psychotic it gets. The national Fire Department forum is one of the craziest I've ever seen. I quit posting on that one when guys started getting transferred over it.

JodyH
03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
And Let's not get started on stuff like Tripods
Manfrotto is the only tripod I trust to hold up my $125k camera.

:cool:

UNK
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Manfrotto is the only tripod I trust to hold up my $125k camera.

:cool:
What good is a 125K camera when no one can understand the results??? C'mon man what about the art? :rolleyes:

mnealtx
03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh wow, they're Just. Like. Us. :) So what's the photography equivalent to 9mm vs 45 flame wars?
Hilarious read and a good reminder. Thanks for sharing.

Zoom vs. Prime lenses.

JSGlock34
04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for linking this - cracked me up.

Tamara
04-01-2012, 12:17 PM

It's not even a dude thing.

Think about it: Joe Schmoe wants to get a bicycle. He does his research, determines how much he can afford, heads down to the bike shop, chats with the sales clerk, sits on a few bikes... and then invests $800+ dollars of his identity into a chunk of aluminum, steel, and rubber.

So when he gets on the bike forum and someone tells him his Crankrailleur 2000 is garbage and he should have bought a ShockStumper 750, what's he supposed to think?

He was too dumb to do his research right?
He's not rich enough to buy a decent enough bike to get into the club?
He was so gullible that he let the salesman talk him into a bad purchase?
The other guys on this forum are just stupid snobs who don't know a good bike when they see one and spent too much on their worthless crap?

When people are arguing guns, it's not the guns that they're defending, but their own self-worth as demonstrated through the quality of the decisions that they've made.

MikeyC
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Here's a link a buddy of mine posted about pretty much the same thing:
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/02/if-carpenters-talked-like-camera-geeks/