PDA

View Full Version : Baseball 2019

Darth_Uno
06-10-2019, 08:11 AM
I’m enjoying the hockey thread but that’ll be over Wednesday. Hopefully with the Blues winning the Stanley Cup. [emoji51]

Any baseball fans here? I’d rather discuss it here than a sports forum, y’all seem to know that the teams we follow don’t actually effect our lives or pay our bills.

3 out of 6 divisions are pretty much run away with already. But it’s still early...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
06-10-2019, 08:48 AM
The wife grew up a Mets fan and I've been a lifelong Yankees fan (but supported the Marlins when we lived in South FL).

While I love baseball, (and most sports...), I'm frustrated by the Yankees inability to get their pitching staff in order and generally threaten to never watch another game a couple of times a week. :rolleyes:

They have an almost good enough team, but I think their pitching will once again be their demise. You can't count on enough home runs every game to overcome your deficits. Though you can come close.

Teams like the Red Sox, Astros, in the AL have been better in recent years in this regard. The Dodgers in the NL...and now Tampa Bay and Minnesota showing off what they can do.

Going to be interesting, and probably frustrating.

TC215
06-10-2019, 09:04 AM
The wife grew up a Mets fan and I've been a lifelong Yankees fan (but supported the Marlins when we lived in South FL).

While I love baseball, (and most sports...), I'm frustrated by the Yankees inability to get their pitching staff in order and generally threaten to never watch another game a couple of times a week. :rolleyes:

They have an almost good enough team, but I think their pitching will once again be their demise. You can't count on enough home runs every game to overcome your deficits. Though you can come close.

Teams like the Red Sox, Astros, in the AL have been better in recent years in this regard. The Dodgers in the NL...and now Tampa Bay and Minnesota showing off what they can do.

Going to be interesting, and probably frustrating.

It’s really amazing how well the Yankees have done this year with all the injuries they’ve had. But yeah, their pitching is not great again. CC probably should have hung it up last year.

blues
06-10-2019, 09:14 AM
It’s really amazing how well the Yankees have done this year with all the injuries they’ve had. But yeah, their pitching is not great again. CC probably should have hung it up last year.

I was thrilled when they brought in LeMahieu, and Urshela has been a great and welcome surprise. The kid, Frazier, has talent but his personality irks me and he needs to learn to play the outfield better.

Couldn't agree more re: CC. German can't make it through the 4th. Chad Green has lost his mojo. Ottavino is usually pretty good but not 100% reliable, and Zack Britton and Chapman give me agita.

Tanaka, Happ and Paxton have been sub par. Not so much Tanaka as the other two, especially Happ. I was hoping just getting rid of Sonny Gray was going to help get things back on track.

I'm not counting on #28 this year.

Darth_Uno
06-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Yankees have a good talent pool to pull from, even though you could argue they’ve overperformed to put them at their current record. No telling if it’ll last.

4gallonbucket
06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Anybody see that no-hitter thrown by a Vanderbilt freshman, Kumar Rocker?

He put on a clinic. It was unreal - 19k

blues
06-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Anybody see that no-hitter thrown by a Vanderbilt freshman, Kumar Rocker?

He put on a clinic. It was unreal - 19k

Read about it but haven't seen the game or highlights.

4gallonbucket
06-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Read about it but haven't seen the game or highlights.

Here's a good article about the no-hitter and a video compilation of some of the strikeouts. Most of the pitches in the video are of a nasty slider in the dirt for the payoff pitch, but I really enjoyed how he set up batters to go for the slider in the dirt. He mixed it up with a great fastball -- up to 98 mph in the 9th inning, a decent changeup, and a breaking ball that he would throw for a strike, just dropping in the zone and making the batters knees buckle. It was something else.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2019-06-08/kumar-rocker-throws-19-strikeout-no-hitter-keep-vanderbilts

farscott
06-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Huge baseball fan, and my TV is usually tuned to a game between the end of March and the beginning of November. I am a Braves fan, having watched from the beginning of the Ted Turner era ("Like lambs to the slaughter, the Braves take the field") to the fourteen consecutive division titles and a WS to the cellar and back to contention again. Seen them play in three different stadiums at home (Atlanta-Fulton, Turner Field, Suntrust Park) over the years and a few on the road.

blues
06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
When the Yankees or Mets play the Braves or Reds we have to watch their broadcast due to the MLB rules for the market we're in. Otherwise we can watch the games with "our" guys in the booth. Kinda sucks when you're paying for the package...but so it goes.

Darth_Uno
06-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Huge baseball fan
Same here. I just love baseball, even if it’s not the Cardinals playing.

I love watching my son play and coaching his team, I love the Cardinals, and I’ll turn on any team if the Cardinals aren’t playing. I just love baseball.

And I was never really that good, so I realized at a young age that I needed to study the game. So I’ve often joked that I can explain better than I can execute. But I understand the game. I can pass a written test. I know who needs to play where with runners at first, or runners at first and third, or any other setup. I know this game.

But I can’t do it myself (certainly not at a pro level, or college, or probably even high school anymore), so I enjoy watching those who can.

blues
06-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Same here. I just love baseball, even if it’s not the Cardinals playing.

I love watching my son play and coaching his team, I love the Cardinals, and I’ll turn on any team if the Cardinals aren’t playing. I just love baseball.

And I was never really that good, so I realized at a young age that I needed to study the game. So I’ve often joked that I can explain better than I can execute. But I understand the game. I can pass a written test. I know who needs to play where with runners at first, or runners at first and third, or any other setup. I know this game.

But I can’t do it myself (certainly not at a pro level, or college, or probably even high school anymore), so I enjoy watching those who can.

My best bud hereabouts is a huge Cardinals fan. We get to sit on the porch, drink beer, have a cigar and talk baseball...but not often enough. We're planning on it this week, weather and schedules permitting.

Darth_Uno
06-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Dinger!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401075719

13 HR’s in one game. [emoji52] I love a pitcher’s duel but slugfests are fun to watch too.

blues
06-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Dinger!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401075719

13 HR’s in one game. [emoji52] I love a pitcher’s duel but slugfests are fun to watch too.

That is friggin' wild. And who was it the other day, the Nationals I think, that hit four straight HR's in a game against the Padres.

Borderland
06-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I sometimes listen to the Mariner broadcasts on the radio when I'm loading. I was here in Seattle when they started. Went to a lot of games in the old days but just don't want to deal with the traffic now, 3 hours round trip in heavy traffic.

It's an interesting team having never played in a world series. Seattle just isn't a baseball town, it's a wonder they even have a MLB team. Nobody I know speaks baseball. I played some in high school (catcher) and love the game.

Darth_Uno
06-11-2019, 11:38 AM
I sometimes listen to the Mariner broadcasts on the radio when I'm loading. I was here in Seattle when they started. Went to a lot of games in the old days but just don't want to deal with the traffic now, 3 hours round trip in heavy traffic.

It's an interesting team having never played in a world series. Seattle just isn't a baseball town, it's a wonder they even have a MLB team. Nobody I know speaks baseball. I played some in high school (catcher) and love the game.

And they haven’t been outright terrible, at least not for any long stretch that I can recall. Just never great.

I had a Mariners hat back in the day because of Ken Griffey Jr.

Darth_Uno
06-11-2019, 11:40 AM
That is friggin' wild. And who was it the other day, the Nationals I think, that hit four straight HR's in a game against the Padres.

They said we’re on pace to break the single season HR record by 1000+. [emoji46] That might not be a sustainable rate but it’s likely to get beat by several hundred.

Borderland
06-11-2019, 01:08 PM
And they haven’t been outright terrible, at least not for any long stretch that I can recall. Just never great.

I had a Mariners hat back in the day because of Ken Griffey Jr.

That guy was a hitting machine. 630 career HR's. 7th overall. HOF. Loved to watch that guy.

farscott
06-11-2019, 02:35 PM
When the Yankees or Mets play the Braves or Reds we have to watch their broadcast due to the MLB rules for the market we're in. Otherwise we can watch the games with "our" guys in the booth. Kinda sucks when you're paying for the package...but so it goes.

MLB.TV allows you to select the home or away announcing team unless there is only a single national broadcast, like FOX. Even then, the home and away radio feeds are available. I use both Apple TV and iPhone with the application.

blues
06-11-2019, 02:46 PM
MLB.TV allows you to select the home or away announcing team unless there is only a single national broadcast, like FOX. Even then, the home and away radio feeds are available. I use both Apple TV and iPhone with the application.

Yeah, I haven't bothered going that route as it's only the games against the Braves and Reds that we can not opt for "our" announcers on the YES, SNY or 700 channels on DirecTV.

Maybe one of these days I'll be motivated to try out the app or website.

farscott
06-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I haven't bothered going that route as it's only the games against the Braves and Reds that we can not opt for "our" announcers on the YES, SNY or 700 channels on DirecTV.

Maybe one of these days I'll be motivated to try out the app or website.

If you wait until past the All-Star Game you can get a pretty good deal for the rest of the season. The closer the season gets to the end, the better the deal. That allows you to try the app/website with little out-of-pocket.

Right now, I have Yankees-Mets from YES on the TV in my office. :)

blues
06-11-2019, 02:56 PM
If you wait until past the All-Star Game you can get a pretty good deal for the rest of the season. The closer the season gets to the end, the better the deal. That allows you to try the app/website with little out-of-pocket.

Right now, I have Yankees-Mets from YES on the TV in my office. :)

Yeah, I'm watching as well. Didn't think the Yankees were going to fare very well considering the way the game started. But so far, so good.

As far as MLB.com I think it's included with the MLB package from DirecTV that we have. (I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure I had an email about signing up if I want it.)

We also have the NHL package and NBA. Discarded the NFL a couple years back after the whole flag / anthem brouhaha.

Darth_Uno
06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
AFAIK, MLB At-Bat blacks out local games, which is the only reason I’d want it. Am I wrong?

I ditched tv service for three years but had to have it back for baseball and hockey. I’d dump it again if I could just get an app to watch Cardinals and Blues.

farscott
06-11-2019, 07:02 PM
AFAIK, MLB At-Bat blacks out local games, which is the only reason I’d want it. Am I wrong?

I ditched tv service for three years but had to have it back for baseball and hockey. I’d dump it again if I could just get an app to watch Cardinals and Blues.

You are correct. TV is blacked out, but radio is not. I have Youtube TV for Braves TV broadcasts. It costs $45 per month.

Speaking of the Braves, 4 HRs from the first five batters in the second inning. The ball is just flying off the bat in this game.

Darth_Uno
06-12-2019, 09:02 PM
14 K’s for Verlander so far tonight.

Edit: make that 15 [emoji50]

idahojess
06-12-2019, 11:41 PM
I'm a jaded M's fan. It's tough to see the number of teams that are just straight up out of the running this year in the American League (especially the Mariners...).

Jim Watson
06-13-2019, 12:33 PM
I am a baseball watcher, don't get into statistics and bios.
More correctly, I am a Braves watcher. I went to Georgia Tech in the 1960s and saw the first Atlanta Braves game, and more those early days. . (Also several of the last Atlanta Crackers games, remembering them as opponents of my home town Birmingham Barons in my youth.)

blues
06-13-2019, 01:04 PM
I am a baseball watcher, don't get into statistics and bios.
More correctly, I am a Braves watcher. I went to Georgia Tech in the 1960s and saw the first Atlanta Braves game, and more those early days. . (Also several of the last Atlanta Crackers games, remembering them as opponents of my home town Birmingham Barons in my youth.)

Our local minor league team is the Asheville Tourists...a single A affiliate of the Rockies. Haven't been to a game recently but they are a lot of fun.

Especially on "Thirsty Thursday". (The local Oskar Blues brewery, (about 4 to 5 miles from our home), runs a tram from the brewery to the games and back for those so inclined. Nice community service.)

Jim Watson
06-13-2019, 02:00 PM
We had the Huntsville Stars for a while, being replaced by the Trash Pandas.
I've seen some college games.

1911Nut
06-13-2019, 06:29 PM
14 K’s for Verlander so far tonight.

Edit: make that 15 [emoji50]

Nothing he can do on the baseball field will top his greatest accomplishment . . . . . . he bagged Kate Upton!

Darth_Uno
06-14-2019, 07:36 PM
All-Star pitcher, World Series winner, married Kate Upton...if I didn't fuck up my shoulder that coulda been me.

blues
06-14-2019, 09:11 PM
All-Star pitcher, World Series winner, married Kate Upton...if I didn't fuck up my shoulder that coulda been me.

It's not your shoulder she gives a shit about.*

*It's your wallet.

Darth_Uno
06-16-2019, 09:23 AM
I'm a jaded M's fan. It's tough to see the number of teams that are just straight up out of the running this year in the American League (especially the Mariners...).

And you just traded Encarnacion. To the freakin’ Yankees.

I actually don’t hate the Yankees. First, they’re AL so I don’t really care. Second, I’m a Cardinals fan which has a lot of haters in the NL.

idahojess
06-16-2019, 12:39 PM
And you just traded Encarnacion. To the freakin’ Yankees.

I actually don’t hate the Yankees. First, they’re AL so I don’t really care. Second, I’m a Cardinals fan which has a lot of haters in the NL.

Yep, the M's are just a farm team this year, or a holding company for veterans to prove themselves until traded. The last couple years were at least interesting because the M's sort of had a shot at the wild card.

It will be interesting if they hang on to Marco Gonzalez and Mitch Haniger. They keep saying they are building for the future, but I have my doubts.

blues
06-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Yankees can't get any pitching so they're going all in on the long ball.

(They still won't win the series this year. They need pitching. Period.)

farscott
06-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Yankees can't get any pitching so they're going all in on the long ball.

(They still won't win the series this year. They need pitching. Period.)

The Yankees sure have a surfeit of outfielders, once everyone is off the IL. I wonder if a team looking to rebuild will get one of those young outfielders, perhaps Clint Frazier, in exchange for some pitching.

blues
06-16-2019, 02:24 PM
The Yankees sure have a surfeit of outfielders, once everyone is off the IL. I wonder if a team looking to rebuild will get one of those young outfielders, perhaps Clint Frazier, in exchange for some pitching.

I would think that's the plan, but you never know what the hell is going on in Cashman's mind.

TC215
06-16-2019, 05:05 PM

I would think that's the plan, but you never know what the hell is going on in Cashman's mind.

Just got an alert that they’ve optioned Frazier to Triple A.

blues
06-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Just got an alert that they’ve optioned Frazier to Triple A.

My wife just told me the same a minute ago. That's a hard decision (if it's made without a trade pending) given that he's hitting well even if his fielding needs to improve.

I guess they weren't going to disrespect Gardner but that still left Maybin as a possible. It's a nice problem to have, but they've got some juggling to do going forward. (Assuming that the guys come back from the IL ready to play.)

Pitching!!!! D'ya hear me Cashman??? Pitching!!!!

Darth_Uno
06-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Strikeout rate’s a little high but in what world do you bat .285 and get sent to AAA.

Yes I know why they did it, just sayin he’d be a starter most anywhere else.

farscott
06-17-2019, 06:45 AM
From ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26989244/frazier-surprised-sent-yankees

There has been a belief that with so many powerful position players now being added to the Yankees' lineup, perhaps Frazier will become an important piece for New York to dangle in trade talks. He had been assured in past years that despite the previous rampant speculation about his role with the organization, he wasn't on the trading block.

But now, with the Yankees in such desperate need of starting pitching, that might not be the case.

blues
06-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Well, it only makes sense. Truthfully, I'd be willing to deal one or two of the "bigger" names if the right deal was out there and someone was willing to pick up the exorbitant contract. (Unlikely.)

I'd hate dealing our younger talent, not just due to the money, but because of their promise and the excitement they bring.

One thing I'll say, D.J. LeMahieu was a tremendous pickup. Love that guy.

Darth_Uno
06-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Maybe the Cardinals can take a page from the Blues playbook, drop to dead last, and storm back to win it all with off-season acquisition Goldschmidt as the WS MVP.

I think the plan is to just gun for the weak Central and bank on CPS (Cardinals Postseason Shenanigans). Ah, we just need the wild card, postseason’s a crap shoot.

Darth_Uno
06-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Well I gotta say. Pujols got the welcome he deserved coming back to Busch Stadium. 3 days of standing ovations.

Other questions:
- who is this Alonso guy for the Mets?
- did you see Mazaro hit a ball 505’? And it wasn’t even in Coors Field. Damn that’s a long way to hit a baseball.

blues
06-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Tell me this Yankees - Red Sox in London isn't a fix of some sort. 30 runs scored at the beginning of the 8th.

It's a walrus! Ridiculous!

JAD
06-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Tell me this Yankees - Red Sox in London isn't a fix of some sort. 30 runs scored at the beginning of the 8th.

It's a walrus! Ridiculous!

Gosh, normally those two teams are too classy for that sort of thing.

blues
06-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Gosh, normally those two teams are too classy for that sort of thing.

Well, at least the Yankees...;)

:rolleyes:

JAD
06-29-2019, 04:43 PM
https://sports.theonion.com/yankees-fans-pack-stadium-for-asshole-heritage-night-1826328296/amp

Darth_Uno
07-12-2019, 06:48 PM
A member of the 80’s Mets doing cocaine? Surely you jest.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27176659/dwight-gooden-arrested-cocaine-possession

In other news, it seems my crystal ball needs to go back to Trijicon for some warranty work:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190712/4b9edca7c3ec27a635b927b36ad35619.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blues
07-12-2019, 06:55 PM
No way. It musta been one of those racist NJ State Coppers that set him up. Next you're gonna tell me Strawberry did drugs! :rolleyes:

camsdaddy
07-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Well all I have left in baseball 2019 is the LLWS. We have finished LL with my son. Our high school made it to state to lose in game three of the championship. Our high school has wrapped up a few summer games that were pretty much scrimmage games. My nephews travel season is done. College is over. I could not care less about MLB. I don't know any of the players and just don't care anything about watching them. You can bet first of February we will be ready for baseball 2020

Darth_Uno
07-14-2019, 09:42 PM
My son’s 12u team lost in the playoffs last week so we’re done too.

We were incorrectly seeded due to...who knows, but we were. Coordinating a field change at the last minute would’ve been a pain and we’d have to play these guys eventually anyway. I actually expected it to be us vs this team in the championship (assuming we won our other games, and at this age it’s pretty safe to predict we would have).

We actually had ‘em for a few innings but we biffed a couple routine plays, and extra outs turned into extra runs and that was all she wrote.

Darth_Uno
07-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Trade deadline predictions, anyone?

blues
07-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Trade deadline predictions, anyone?

My crystal ball is hazy but wanted to say that the Yankees-Twins game last night was one for the books. Somehow the Yankees hitting and fielding overcame their own pitching.

Darth_Uno
07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
That was something else. ‘Course I only read the highlights, but that would’ve been a good one to watch. I love a game like that, that’s just American baseball right there. 5-5 with 7 RBI’s. Dang, son. Save some hits for the rest of us.

Red Sox played under protest. I didn’t look close enough to see if it’s legit, but you don’t see that too often.

blues
07-24-2019, 04:43 PM
That was something else. ‘Course I only read the highlights, but that would’ve been a good one to watch. I love a game like that, that’s just American baseball right there. 5-5 with 7 RBI’s. Dang, son. Save some hits for the rest of us.

Red Sox played under protest. I didn’t look close enough to see if it’s legit, but you don’t see that too often.

I thought they beat TB last night? I haven't read anything about the game. (I hate the sawx. And not too crazy about the raze either, but to a much lesser degree.)

Darth_Uno
07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27251701/cora-protests-rays-game-late-subs-total-mess

Tampa won. Apparently they played three card monte with their lineup.

TC215
07-24-2019, 06:53 PM
My crystal ball is hazy but wanted to say that the Yankees-Twins game last night was one for the books. Somehow the Yankees hitting and fielding overcame their own pitching.

I wish I would have stayed up to watch it. When I went to bed, things weren’t looking real good.

blues
07-24-2019, 09:12 PM
I wish I would have stayed up to watch it. When I went to bed, things weren’t looking real good.

Quite a game. Tonight's is shaping up for some mayhem.

TC215
07-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I’ve got it on now, we’ll see what happens.

blues
07-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I’ve got it on now, we’ll see what happens.

I'm getting a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach...

TC215
07-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it’s going downhill a little bit.

JAD
07-24-2019, 09:28 PM
I'm getting a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach...

That's what it feels like to be a Royals fan. All the goddamn time.

(actually, we're out of the basement, just swept the Braves, and might finish with a shred of dignity)

(I think New York will like Terrence Gore. He's a good go-go player if you have that style working)

blues
07-24-2019, 10:22 PM
https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Scarlet-macaw-at-Costa-Rican-jungles-By-ramesh-aithal-.jpg

ETA:

I can finally breathe...

Darth_Uno
07-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Fun fact: Jake Odorizzi (Twins pitcher last night) is from a neighboring small town. I know a lot of guys who played with and against him.

Darth_Uno
07-25-2019, 07:09 AM
I flipped back and forth between Cardinals and Yankees game. Gregorius tore it up again. Cardinals SS didn’t do too bad himself, Dejong hit 3 HR’s.

Hambo
07-25-2019, 07:20 AM
That's what it feels like to be a Royals fan. All the goddamn time.

(actually, we're out of the basement, just swept the Braves, and might finish with a shred of dignity)

Since KC is 23 out right now, you won't mind me rooting for the Indians to sweep the upcoming series as they make a run for the division.

blues, I hate to say anything good about the Yanks, but the enemy of my enemy (in this case the Twins) is...my friend. :eek:

JAD
07-25-2019, 07:23 AM
I never mind the tribe. Yuck the fankees, though.

Hambo
07-25-2019, 07:51 AM
I never mind the tribe. Yuck the fankees, though.

Generally, yes. But the planets aligned and I am a fan (for the game) of whoever beats the Twins. If you heard me when the Tribe plays the Yankees, you'd know just how much I hate NY, and you might learn a few new curse words.

blues
07-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Generally, yes. But the planets aligned and I am a fan (for the game) of whoever beats the Twins. If you heard me when the Tribe plays the Yankees, you'd know just how much I hate NY, and you might learn a few new curse words.

Trust me, Hambo, even when the Yankees are winning I'd make a sailor blush if he had to sit through a game in my presence.

(My wife usually reserves such language for her husband. :p)

TC215
07-25-2019, 08:16 PM
blues This is painful.

blues
07-25-2019, 08:19 PM
blues This is painful.

I'm purposely watching something else on hulu and only checking the score periodically. I knew they were going to shit the bed tonight.

TC215
07-25-2019, 08:22 PM
They desperately need starting pitching (which I remember us talking about around this time last year).

blues
07-25-2019, 08:57 PM
They desperately need starting pitching (which I remember us talking about around this time last year).

My wife and I discuss it about 100 times daily. What the hell is Cashman waiting for?

TC215
07-25-2019, 09:01 PM
If he doesn’t do something soon, they won’t make it past the Astros in the post-season.

camsdaddy
07-26-2019, 06:25 AM
Well appears I will make my first game in Sun trust stadium to see the Braves and Dodgers in August. My sons birthday is mid August and wants to go to a Braves game for his birthday. I am looking forward to it. I know he will enjoy.

Hambo
07-26-2019, 12:08 PM
My wife and I discuss it about 100 times daily. What the hell is Cashman waiting for?

If he doesn’t do something soon, they won’t make it past the Astros in the post-season.

Yankees fans. Can't please them, can't shoot them. ;) I took a look at the standings because of all this whining and expected to see NY near the cellar. Noooo, they have the AL best, which is only slightly worse than the MLB leading Dodgers. If they lose 60% of their remaining games, the Yankees will still be in the playoffs.

This is baseball, where teams expect with win 1/3 of their games and lose 1/3 of their games. The other 33% is what decides the season. Where's my facepalm emoji?

blues
07-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Yankees fans. Can't please them, can't shoot them. ;) I took a look at the standings because of all this whining and expected to see NY near the cellar. Noooo, they have the AL best, which is only slightly worse than the MLB leading Dodgers. If they lose 60% of their remaining games, the Yankees will still be in the playoffs.

This is baseball, where teams expect with win 1/3 of their games and lose 1/3 of their games. The other 33% is what decides the season. Where's my facepalm emoji?

They need pitching. It's just that simple or it oughta be. Ten years since the last WS victory. Long enough for me. I rooted for the Indians when they played the Braves. I was a Rocky Colavito fan back in the days of olde. ;)

eb07
07-26-2019, 12:31 PM
https://www.bleumag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Red-Sox-World-Series.jpg

blues
07-26-2019, 12:38 PM
^^^Looks like #70 just can't get enough of that ass.

eb07
07-26-2019, 12:49 PM
^^^Looks like #70 just can't get enough of that ass.

He is behind a former Yankee. Trying to make him feel at home. ;);)

TC215
07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
https://www.bleumag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Red-Sox-World-Series.jpg

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/TeDpSbeCLAPtu/giphy.gif

Darth_Uno
07-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Cardinals are now in 1st Place with the impressive record of 55-47.

They need pitching. It's just that simple or it oughta be. Ten years since the last WS victory. Long enough for me.

That’s a long time for a perpetual dynasty like the Yankees. Even in STL everyone is ragging on the owners since we haven’t made the playoffs in 3 years.

Yankees are always good. I’m ok with that. You got the money, then buy the players. That’s business, and as much as we romanticize it, baseball is a business. But when it comes down to 7 games between two pro teams, we’ve seen many times that you can’t buy a series.

That’s why I don’t like the second wild card , although it’s helped the Cardinals get in. I get why they do it (mostly money, all other things aside). But instead of being rewarded for grinding all year just to get in the playoffs, you get screwed in one game by a team who finished a couple games behind you.

blues
07-26-2019, 01:39 PM
^^^My good buddy / neighbor is a lifelong Cardinals fan so I always look forward to games our teams may meet up in.

Baseball, as you say, is a business and the changes made over the past decades show how watered down it has become. (Not talking about designated hitter etc.)

In the olden days, the two teams with the best records in the AL and NL met in the series. Your record had everything to do with your chance of making it to the World Series. The ultimate reward for the accomplishments.

Nowadays, it means so much less, and not just in baseball but all sports. In the NBA you have teams in the playoffs with ridiculously poor records.

I get it, it's about the money, but the game has been watered down as a result.

Look how few teams that win the President's Trophy in hockey end up winning the Cup. It happens, (the Rangers did in '94), but it's nowhere near the norm.

I find myself less and less a fan with each passing year despite the fact that any given game might get my blood pressure up into the stratosphere.

eb07
07-26-2019, 02:36 PM
^^^My good buddy / neighbor is a lifelong Cardinals fan so I always look forward to games our teams may meet up in.

Baseball, as you say, is a business and the changes made over the past decades show how watered down it has become. (Not talking about designated hitter etc.)

In the olden days, the two teams with the best records in the AL and NL met in the series. Your record had everything to do with your chance of making it to the World Series. The ultimate reward for the accomplishments.

Nowadays, it means so much less, and not just in baseball but all sports. In the NBA you have teams in the playoffs with ridiculously poor records.

I get it, it's about the money, but the game has been watered down as a result.

Look how few teams that win the President's Trophy in hockey end up winning the Cup. It happens, (the Rangers did in '94), but it's nowhere near the norm.

I find myself less and less a fan with each passing year despite the fact that any given game might get my blood pressure up into the stratosphere.

I stopped getting my blood pressure up many years ago when the players stopped caring about being with a team for a career and it became a free agent money drive market. I began in the mid 70's then started exploding. Somewhere around the late 70's early 80's. I miss those days when you could stay attached to your players for an entire career. The good old days.

Sums it up:

https://youtu.be/82wWSd28Zs8

JAD
07-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Cards are my NL team. Proof of life:

Going to take the fam to watch the Royals beat the Tribe tonight, which is some relentless optimism right there. At least it's fireworks night.

farscott
07-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Well appears I will make my first game in Sun trust stadium to see the Braves and Dodgers in August. My sons birthday is mid August and wants to go to a Braves game for his birthday. I am looking forward to it. I know he will enjoy.

Dodgers and Braves in Sun Trust is a great first-time stadium game. A lot of Dodger blue will be in the stands and the games are well attended. I have been fortunate enough to see Kershaw start against the Braves in Sun Trust. He was in HoF form and limited the Braves to a few hits.

If driving to the stadium, grab a parking pass online if you have not done so. Parking goes fast in the nearby lots. We like to get there several hours before first pitch, explore the Battery, and grab a meal. My wife loves the Mizuno store and we have bought her running shoes more than once. Then we go into the stadium and walk the entire perimeter.

blues
07-26-2019, 03:03 PM
eb07, it's true...when I was a kid, I could rattle off the players not only on my own Yankees, but most of the AL teams.

(The NL to a lesser degree since I was less concerned with them until the Mets came in the early 60's and it was within a few miles, so I'd ride my bike down to Shea to go to a game if I had nothing else to do. You could get in for a couple of bucks. Or else I'd find something to do at Flushing Meadows, the site of the '64-65 World's Fair.)

It's like cars. I used to be able to tell by the headlights or taillights what year and model it was. Now I can't even tell the make except for rare exceptions.

Sad that those days are gone. (Though I don't mind not listening to a transistor radio all that much...but for the memories of doing so.)

Hambo
07-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Cards are my NL team. Proof of life:

Going to take the fam to watch the Royals beat the Tribe tonight, which is some relentless optimism right there. At least it's fireworks night.

A Hawkeyes shirt! Damn, you're OK.

Darth_Uno
07-26-2019, 04:12 PM
I get it. It’s a ton of money. Would I sign a 4 year contract for 6 million a year? Sheeeeeit....I promise you I’m not going to make 6 million in my whole life. Actually I might, but certainly not 12. But maybe you get an offer for 7.5 mil for 4 years. Well damn, that’s still a $6,000,000 difference.

But let’s say I’m a stud, and worth 25 million a year on the open market. Do I give my hometown team or maybe the team that drafted me a break? Why? It’s not like your doing some great favor to local baseball. Your just giving businessmen a break, not baseball fans - talent costs what it costs.

Maybe your draft picks are studs and you get em cheap for a couple years, but it ain’t cheap to keep em. Sucks, but that’s business, and how you build a champion these days.

TC215
07-26-2019, 08:17 PM
blues I think we got’em right where we want’em. :rolleyes:

Another rough night.

blues
07-26-2019, 08:19 PM
blues I think we got’em right where we want’em. :rolleyes:

Another rough night.

It's unbearable. I feel like I'm doing penance.

JAD
07-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Shitty loss for the Royals but at least I got to see an epic sack tap, Soler on Plawecki.

Hambo
07-28-2019, 06:29 AM
One game behind the Twins and I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Next up are the Astros and the only easy games in August are with Detroit.

Of more concern is the trade deadline. The team is playing well, but that won't stop a GM from making a trade.

blues
07-28-2019, 08:22 AM
I have been rending my garments the past few days...

Hambo
07-28-2019, 08:27 AM
I have been rending my garments the past few days...

NY only plays Boston nine more times this year. Apparently the strategy is to wear the Sox down by letting them hit so much.

blues
07-28-2019, 08:50 AM
NY only plays Boston nine more times this year. Apparently the strategy is to wear the Sox down by letting them hit so much.

Yeah, the finest baseball minds hard at work...

"Hey, I know a way we can avoid giving up valuable players and cash for starting pitching..."

Hambo
07-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Yeah, the finest baseball minds hard at work...

"Hey, I know a way we can avoid giving up valuable players and cash for starting pitching..."

Be careful what you wish for. Cleveland is going to squeeze some team really hard for Trevor Bauer.

blues
07-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Be careful what you wish for. Cleveland is going to squeeze some team really hard for Trevor Bauer.

To be honest, one starting pitcher, Bauer, Stroman, Bumgarner, you name him, is not going to make enough of a difference to overcome the rest of the rotation's weakness. Add to that the inconsistency of the relief staff, most of whom I wish we had never brought over, and I just don't think they can consistently score enough runs to beat teams with a better balance of pitching, hitting and speed on the bases. (Astros, Sox, Twins et al)

But, I've been singing the same song for years and it's gotten me nothing but hoarse.

Frankly, our guys from the farm clubs have proven to be better, (by and large), than the high priced talent brought in from other teams only to disappoint. Lots of players seem to get weak knees when they have to perform in NY.

farscott
07-28-2019, 10:03 AM
At least Cashman was smart enough to stay out of the Bryce Harper bidding war. Phillies and the Yankees have the same issue, not enough quality pitching. I trust Cashman to do a better job of finding pitching.

blues
07-28-2019, 10:48 AM
At least Cashman was smart enough to stay out of the Bryce Harper bidding war. Phillies and the Yankees have the same issue, not enough quality pitching. I trust Cashman to do a better job of finding pitching.

I hope you're right...but I've seen this movie too many times.

Hambo
07-29-2019, 05:33 AM
JAD should be a bit happier today. Bauer had a bad day and probably decreased his trade value at the same time. That or he wanted to prove that he really is Yankees material.

Tito Francona quote of the day, "What the fuck is wrong with you?!"

JAD
07-29-2019, 07:33 AM
JAD should be a bit happier today. ?!"
Best throw he made all night was over the CF wall.

blues
07-29-2019, 07:55 AM
I came in from walking the dog yesterday evening and my wife tells me that Stroman is going to NY. I said I don't know if he's going to be the right fit. (Sonny Gray syndrome etc.) She says, well, he's going to NY but not the Yankees. I had to laugh.

With the Mets talking about being sellers for weeks, the last thing I thought they'd do is invest in another starter. Go figure.

And the Yankees...still crickets.

Darth_Uno
07-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Wow. Trading for a starter when you’re 6 games back in the wild card, with an NL Central next door that’ll have 5 teams end up within two games of .500. That’s a pretty optimistic trade.

Darth_Uno
07-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Welp, Cardinals did a big ol’ nothing at the deadline.

Yankees also did nothing, but they’ve got a way better record than STL and damn near everyone else, so...

blues
07-31-2019, 09:33 PM
I'm glad we didn't overpay but I'm sorry the issues remain unaddressed.

Hambo
08-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Bauer tossed his Indians career over the outfield fence and the Tribe got a lot in return. However, as I tell my wife all the time "hope is not a strategy." They hope Salazar will come back improved, Kluber will come back strong, and that Carrasco will come back this season.

blues
08-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Bauer tossed his Indians career over the outfield fence and the Tribe got a lot in return. However, as I tell my wife all the time "hope is not a strategy." They hope Salazar will come back improved, Kluber will come back strong, and that Carrasco will come back this season.

Hope springs eternal. Unfortunately, my hope from earlier this spring is pretty much sprung.

jtcarm
08-02-2019, 07:57 PM
I’m a Rangers fan, which is becoming increasingly hard.

Ever since the little turd John Daniels convinced the owners to give him the reins, the talent has gotten steadily worse.

So when they really started to suck, he naturally threw Jeff Bannister under the bus. Bannie had delivered two near-miraculous division pennants during his short tenure as manager and was holding things together with bubble gum & bailing wire.

Oh, and that guy that Daniels stabbed in the back? Nolan Ryan was it? He went
down I-45 to join his son in Houston and ended up with another World Series Ring.

Darth_Uno
08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Got to watch from a suite last night. One of my suppliers takes their biggest contractors out every year. Cardinals lost, but can’t beat free food and drinks.

They asked if I wanted tickets and I said yes, I know they have good season tickets behind third base. Didn’t know til we got there and I looked at the tickets that it was a suite. So my son got to go too, he may have liked the unlimited nachos better than the ballgame.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190822/c7f7511387ff05bc1e699816df7d1b39.jpg

Hambo
09-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Hey, Yankees fans, are you finally convinced that they will be in the playoffs?

blues
09-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Hey, Yankees fans, are you finally convinced that they will be in the playoffs?

I'm not convinced we're good enough to beat the Astros. (Or Oakland for that matter.)

ETA: (Or the Twins.)

Hambo
09-10-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm not convinced we're good enough to beat the Astros. (Or Oakland for that matter.)

This is why I've spilled my beer on Yankees fans. If they won the Series, their fans would still complain that they didn't score enough. :rolleyes:

blues, your boys are going to win 100+ this year, which is pretty damned impressive on its own. Think of those poor Balmer fans whose season ended before the trade deadline.

blues
09-10-2019, 12:28 PM
This is why I've spilled my beer on Yankees fans. If they won the Series, their fans would still complain that they didn't score enough. :rolleyes:

blues, your boys are going to win 100+ this year, which is pretty damned impressive on its own. Think of those poor Balmer fans whose season ended before the trade deadline.

Fuck Balmer. (That's for you, McNulty!)

TC215
09-10-2019, 01:52 PM
The Yankees are definitely contenders, but their pitching continues to worry me.

I’m really hoping they can beat the Astros.

blues
09-10-2019, 02:02 PM
The Yankees are definitely contenders, but their pitching continues to worry me.

I’m really hoping they can beat the Astros.

Big Maple and Happ are teasing us...

Darth_Uno
09-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Cardinals are 4 games up on the Cubs, but we play them 7 out of our last 10 games. 4 game division lead looks pretty good, and Cards look hot and Cubs look like they're running out of gas. But we could be tied before those last ten games get started.

My uncle used to live in CA and sent me a bunch of A's swag when I was a kid. That was the Canseco/McGwire heyday. So they're my adopted AL team. I'll passively root for them, even though I don't really care who wins the AL.

To be fair, if it's not the Cardinals I don't care who wins the NL pennant either. Now that Puig's gone, I'd be ok with the Dodgers. I'd rather see STL win the division than the WC, but I'd rather play LA in a 5 game series than 7. You might luck out in 5. 7 is a haul. But I don't think we're good enough to beat any AL contender in 7 games anyway. Maybe Tampa.

blues
09-10-2019, 05:41 PM
My neighbor / buddy is a lifelong Cardinals fan so I'll pull for them to meet the Yanks in the Series. Like '64 again...(but with a different conclusion, hopefully).

11B10
09-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread. Musta been Phillies Phever.

You "fans" are all imposters, wannabes, rank amateurs. A REAL Phan would have to root for the team that has lost more games than ANY other franchise in history - my Phillies. If you doubt that, you may look it up - I know I did, years ago. My aPhliction began while growing up in suburbia in the '50's and '60's. Everyone had a patio where they listened to broadcasts of their favorite team. Our next door neighbor was a man who not only had the loudest radio, he also turned it way up. Finally, you probably guessed by now, good old Herb was a Yankees fan. Remember, during the '50's & '60's, the Yankees never lost a game, or did it just seem that way? My Dad's "logic" was that rooting for teams like the Yankees held no suspense, no thrill - because they were EXPECTED to win. However, rooting for teams like the Phightins, who had almost no chance, could put you on cloud 9 when they did win. Besides, EVERYONE knows the Phillies have THE best mascot EVER (disregard any rumors of free agency about him) - the Phillie Phanatic.

blues
09-10-2019, 07:57 PM
If any evidence was needed of how pathetic the Yankees pitching can be...look no further than this sorry display this evening. :mad:

TC215
09-10-2019, 08:05 PM
If any evidence was needed of how pathetic the Yankees pitching can be...look no further than this sorry display this evening. :mad:

I’ve not been able to watch, but I’m getting the updates on my phone. Looks like a total meltdown.

blues
09-10-2019, 08:06 PM
I’ve not been able to watch, but I’m getting the updates on my phone. Looks like a total meltdown.

My wife couldn't take listening to me anymore and opted for doing dishes. That's how bad they're playing.

https://youtu.be/mZBdxvego1E

blues
09-10-2019, 09:15 PM
And it's a wrap. They lose 11-10 after having a 6-0 lead. Detroit's 19th win at home this year. Pathetic.

Darth_Uno
09-14-2019, 08:37 AM
And they got beat by Toronto last night. But the Cardinals lost two in a row to Colorado a few days ago. Any pro team will beat you if let ‘em. Still, 2 runs in 2 days in Coors Field isn’t very good. Then we scored 20 runs in the next two games. Ah, baseball.

blues
09-14-2019, 09:20 AM
There was a time when I once thought the Yankees bats could overcome their pitching.

Even with a couple of guys seeming to make progress against their long term under performance, it's not by any means a certainty that they can get both the starters and relievers to perform in sync.

The Astros still seem, to me, to be the team to beat...and a couple of teams in wildcard races won't be easy to beat either.

That said, in 2009 there was no way I could see the Yankees winning...and yet they turned it around and ended up winning it all.

Darth_Uno
09-14-2019, 12:43 PM
There was a time when I once thought the Yankees bats could overcome their pitching.

And more often than not they will. Heck, you’ve done it almost 100 times this season. Problem is, that’s a terrific plan when you figure you’re good for a hundred wins in no particular order, but not so much when you have to win four games before the other team does.

NY didn’t do much at the trade deadline though. I guess when you’re running away with the division you don’t need to. But that seems like as good a time as any to push all your chips in.

Darth_Uno
09-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Sorry blues. Randal Grichuk is my wife's favorite, and he didn't do you guys any favors today.

He only batted like .200 with the Cardinals, but she was crushed when we traded him. I had to explain that we can't keep a guy just because he's unbearably handsome.

He's kind of like me in beer league slowpitch. There's flashes of greatness, but you can't count on it every day.

blues
09-15-2019, 08:21 PM
He's been Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig against the Yankees this entire season. There's been a handful of guys like that who step up when they play NY. Hard not to respect that.

Darth_Uno
09-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Cardinals clinched a playoff spot! Beating the Cubs 4 games in a row (in Wrigley!) and for all purposes knocking them out of the playoffs makes it that much sweeter. :cool:

Magic number is 4 to eliminate the Brewers, who aren't being very sporting and seem to win every time we do. And we still play the Cubs 3 more times, I'm sure they'd love to drop a turd in our playoff punch bowl and hold us back to the wild card.

Of all the teams clinched or likely to be in the playoffs, STL has the second lowest odds to win the WS, ahead of only the potential NL wild cards. Which makes sense because we also have the second worst record of all the playoff teams. Again, ahead of only the NL wild card. But the Blues weren't supposed to win the Stanley Cup either, and here we are.

blues
10-01-2019, 10:02 PM
The Brewers have just shot themselves in the foot and appear about to die from blood poisoning.

Stephanie B
10-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Cardinals clinched a playoff spot! Beating the Cubs 4 games in a row (in Wrigley!) and for all purposes knocking them out of the playoffs makes it that much sweeter. :cool:

I'm in a NL desert, so I don't see much beyond the box scores. It was nice to see that the Cards won their division.

It sure would be nice if 2019 has three events: Blues with the Cup, Cards win the Series and Stan Kroenke eats a bag of dicks.

ubervic
10-02-2019, 07:25 AM
The Brewers have just shot themselves in the foot and appear about to die from blood poisoning.

I'm was there in the stands. Quite a game on many levels.

blues
10-02-2019, 08:03 AM
I'm was there in the stands. Quite a game on many levels.

I had no dog in that fight so was able to enjoy the last few innings of the game when I tune in around the bottom of the 5th. I was semi-pulling for the Brewers as the Nationals are rivals of the NY club.

But I admired the way the Nationals fought back and ultimately won the game. Had to be tough in the Brewer locker room afterward.

Guerrero
10-02-2019, 09:51 AM
I had no dog in that fight so was able to enjoy the last few innings of the game when I tune in around the bottom of the 5th. I was semi-pulling for the Brewers as the Nationals are rivals of the NY club.

But I admired the way the Nationals fought back and ultimately won the game. Had to be tough in the Brewer locker room afterward.

Milwaukee is depressed today

blues
10-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Milwaukee is depressed today

Been there brother. With more than one team. Such is sports.

Darth_Uno
10-02-2019, 10:24 AM
I know that however much we romanticize it, baseball is still just a business at its core. But I'm always smugly satisfied when a player *coughHarpercough* signs with a new team for more money, then his old team makes the playoffs without him.

blues
10-02-2019, 10:25 AM
I know that however much we romanticize it, baseball is still just a business at its core. But I'm always smugly satisfied when a player *coughHarpercough* signs with a new team for more money, then his old team makes the playoffs without him.

Perfectly coughed coiffed.

Darth_Uno
10-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Cardinals' October Shenanigans came through again. Scored 4 runs in the top of the 9th. I didn't get to watch it, as I was at a funeral. But I had the updates pushed to my phone. Classless, I know.

https://youtu.be/7rtji4wRQBk

blues
10-04-2019, 08:26 AM
I've already got butterflies in anticipation of tonight's game between the Yanks and Twins.

camsdaddy
10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Cardinals' October Shenanigans came through again. Scored 4 runs in the top of the 9th. I didn't get to watch it, as I was at a funeral. But I had the updates pushed to my phone. Classless, I know.

If Acuna would learn to run when he hits the ball. Im thankful for the 9th inning rally but if he hadnt been so cocky the game could have ended differently. I also dont know why they pulled the pitcher. Should have let him thrown until he gave out. My 14 year old nephew can throw more pitches.

blues
10-04-2019, 09:22 AM
No excuse for any MLBer not hustling on every play unless he is injured and comes up lame. It's not just because of the money, but pride and professionalism.

(And yeah, the money.)

camsdaddy
10-04-2019, 12:25 PM
No excuse for any MLBer not hustling on every play unless he is injured and comes up lame. It's not just because of the money, but pride and professionalism.

(And yeah, the money.)
I have always coached my son in rec ball from tball to now 10u. We were in Atlanta in August when Acuna hit the ball and watched it as he jogged to first. I looked at my son and he laughed knowing I would have been jumping up and down. I always tell my kids you hit the ball and RUN I will watch the ball. I promise your mama will tell you about it.

I cant stand to see a kid walk on the field. My daughter was never the best player in softball but she was always smiling with a good attitude and ran on and off the field. I really cant stand to see a player who is getting paid big dollars to walk. Its his job to run.

Ive never thought about it. I teach them to keep their eye on the ball. Dont take your eye off the ball. Then as soon as they make contact Im telling them to not look at the ball and run. I think a 30 year old kid should be able to do this more so than a 10 year old

Darth_Uno
10-04-2019, 01:10 PM
I cant stand to see a kid walk on the field. My daughter was never the best player in softball but she was always smiling with a good attitude and ran on and off the field. I really cant stand to see a player who is getting paid big dollars to walk. Its his job to run.

I tell the boys on my team, if you don't run during the game you're going to run a lot farther after it. And I've made 'em do it.

blues
10-04-2019, 05:22 PM
I hope they prove me wrong but I think leaving Mike Ford off the roster in favor of Luke Voit is a mistake. Voit has not looked comfortable at the plate in quite a while...whereas Ford has been hitting over .350 in the last 24 games and he has a clutch gene.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong.

blues
10-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Well, that went better than the first couple of innings implied...

Fingers crossed for Tanaka to pitch a strong game.

TC215
10-05-2019, 05:26 PM
blues Epic grand slam from Sir Didi.

blues
10-05-2019, 05:34 PM
blues Epic grand slam from Sir Didi.

I'm happy for him. He's done a lot for this team since he joined and some of the fickle fans have been on his case. Coming back from the surgery early this season says a lot about his work ethic imho.

Glad he showed his stuff.

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Cardinals were winning 1-0 in the 8th and I dozed off. Woke up to see we lost 3-1. Martinez shit the bed. Not good, guys. Not good.

Might have to root for the Dodgers. Robert Plummer, owner of all the RP Lumbers around here, just bought an interest in the team. I’ve met him a few times, although I doubt he remembers too much about me. I build 20-25 homes a year but that’s small potatoes compared to some of his contractors.

camsdaddy
10-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Cardinals were winning 1-0 in the 8th and I dozed off. Woke up to see we lost 3-1. Martinez shit the bed. Not good, guys. Not good.

Might have to root for the Dodgers. Robert Plummer, owner of all the RP Lumbers around here, just bought an interest in the team. I’ve met him a few times, although I doubt he remembers too much about me. I build 20-25 homes a year but that’s small potatoes compared to some of his contractors.

Would you mind taking a nap this afternoon?

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
:cool:I doubt there's a connection. If the Cardinals lost every time I fell asleep in the 7th inning they wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Stuck at work. Strangely enough, we don't have an AM/FM radio here anywhere. Tells you how obsolete that is. Thank goodness for TBS.com.

Hopefully we can ride our early 2-0 lead to the finish line. And hopefully we don't pitch Martinez again. camsdaddy wouldn't mind if we did though. :/

blues
10-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Darth, I hope you're napping...

TC215
10-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Braves have been fun to watch this year. I’m hoping they finish off the Cards here in the next few innings.

Hopefully the Yankees will finish off the Twins tonight, as well.

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 05:40 PM
F***ing S***. Why would you put Carlos Martinez back in.

blues
10-07-2019, 05:44 PM
F***ing S***. Why would you put Carlos Martinez back in.

Got 'er done.

TC215
10-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Got 'er done.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 06:16 PM
MOLINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blues
10-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Congrats, Darth. Live to fight another day.

Darth_Uno
10-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Congrats, Darth. Live to fight another day.

Any time someone says "Congrats" in a sports conversation, I feel like it's not really the result you were hoping for.

blues
10-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Any time someone says "Congrats" in a sports conversation, I feel like it's not really the result you were hoping for.

Okay...sorry, Darth.

blues
10-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Well, that was interesting. Not always fun...but got it done.

Darth_Uno
10-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Yankees vs Astros (assuming they win) is a better series than whatever the WS ends up being.

blues
10-08-2019, 08:06 AM
I wonder if Ottavino will ever do anything besides walk a batter or give up a hit?

Honestly, I hope he's gone before next season. (Or that he proves me wrong damn soon.)

TC215
10-08-2019, 06:40 PM
I’m really enjoying what’s happening to Verlander right now. Maybe a little too much.

cornstalker
10-09-2019, 12:04 AM
I wonder if Ottavino will ever do anything besides walk a batter or give up a hit?

Honestly, I hope he's gone before next season. (Or that he proves me wrong damn soon.)

I have to admit, hearing that takes a little bit of the sting out of losing DJ Lemahieu.

Just a little though.

blues
10-09-2019, 08:01 AM
I have to admit, hearing that takes a little bit of the sting out of losing DJ Lemahieu.

Just a little though.

As much as Ottavino has disappointed...LeMahieu has been a gift from the baseball gods. What a player...and selfless to boot.

Darth_Uno
10-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Anybody want to bet on this game?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/cded6cdef42513b6ecf1f08242ad62dc.jpg

HCountyGuy
10-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Anybody want to bet on this game?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/cded6cdef42513b6ecf1f08242ad62dc.jpg

Well there goes the Braves’ hopes for the post-season. Damn guys...

blues
10-09-2019, 04:46 PM
My wife wouldn't believe me when I told her the score, so I read her the game view. Amazing...

TC215
10-09-2019, 04:50 PM
What a disaster.

blues
10-09-2019, 04:52 PM
What a disaster.

Yep. But then, every club knows what it's like somewhere along the way. I shudder to think...

Darth_Uno
10-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Yep. But then, every club knows what it's like somewhere along the way. I shudder to think...

While I don’t have much pity on the players, because it’s your job to win games, I know what it’s like as a fan. For 15+ years STL was a post-season stud and still only got 2 WS rings out of it.

Nobody thinks the Cardinals will beat the Braves 13-1 every game. Braves are honestly a (slightly) better team. But for one game...I’ll take it.

Darth_Uno
10-09-2019, 07:23 PM
We will see you in DC (I hope).

Darth_Uno
10-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Womp womp.

https://youtu.be/YP4MR24s-8A

cornstalker
10-10-2019, 07:41 AM
Womp womp.

https://youtu.be/YP4MR24s-8A

What a monster hit that was!

It was surprising to see the Nats jack two back to back on Kershaw in the 8th. The Dodgers threw everything their pitching staff had and the Nats just plain came out and beat them. That was a good series.

Edit: Oh, the irony of the Grand Slam coming from the guy that screwed up almost everything he touched prior to that.

blues
10-10-2019, 08:07 AM
What a monster hit that was!

It was surprising to see the Nats jack two back to back on Kershaw in the 8th. The Dodgers threw everything their pitching staff had and the Nats just plain came out and beat them. That was a good series.

Edit: Oh, the irony of the Grand Slam coming from the guy that screwed up almost everything he touched prior to that.

I had been thinking and commenting about that with the missus last night.

The game has a funny way of humbling...and occasionally rewarding one.

blues
10-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Two out in the bottom of the 6th and the Astos are celebrating like it's WrestleMania. I've never seen such a group of smug, self-satisfied asshats.

I'd love for the Rays to give them their comeuppance for the sheer poor sportsmanship alone.

I guess having a little class and dignity on the field is just too much to ask for while the game is still actually being played.

Darth_Uno
10-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Believe me, I dealt with that through 20+ years of competitive slow pitch softball. A greater collection of has-beens, never-weres and wannabes you’ve never seen. And I’ve been on some really good teams...and some really bad teams. Either way, act like you’ve been there. Show a little class.

cornstalker
10-10-2019, 09:03 PM
I seem to recall them acting like that in the 2017 World Series, even when they were trailing the Dodgers in a game. (Game 5 may have been one of the best games I have seen to date) I kind of perceived it to be them trying to stay positive and fired up. I see where it could be offensive though.

Not an Astros fan, and not defending them, just tossing a couple of cents out there...

cornstalker
10-12-2019, 10:26 PM
No premature celebration tonight. In fact, no celebration at all. Boy howdy did the Yanks whip the Astro's asses..

blues
10-12-2019, 10:31 PM
No premature celebration tonight. In fact, no celebration at all. Boy howdy did the Yanks whip the Astro's asses..

Great game but we're far from out of the woods. Tanaka and Torres were fantastic.

(And is there anything LeMahieu can't do? I love this guy.)

Darth_Uno
10-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Looks like the Astros caught CHS (Can’t Hit Shit) from the Cardinals.

blues
10-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Looks like the Astros caught CHS (Can’t Hit Shit) from the Cardinals.

I hope they get over it...in a couple of weeks.

blues
10-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Ottavino is Colorado's curse on us for getting LeMahieu. I cannot, for the life of me, understand Boone using him in a close game.

Darth_Uno
10-14-2019, 10:13 PM
I’m starting to think the Cardinals might not make it to the World Series this year.

blues
10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
I’m starting to think the Cardinals might not make it to the World Series this year.

I really didn't think the Nats would be so dominant following the LA series. Quite a feat.

blues
10-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Ack! Altuve...

farscott
10-15-2019, 04:31 PM
I am still recovering from the Braves meltdown. There never should have been a game 5 as the Braves threw games 1 and 4 away. I was in Detroit for business, and the day ended just in time for me to see a score of 9-0 in the top of the first. That was not a good start to the end of my workday. I texted my wife and she wrote, "9 runs in the first. Damn." The rest of the game was the famed slow-moving train wreck.

Det1397
10-15-2019, 04:34 PM
My son, a devout Yankees fan, is having a meltdown!
I'm somewhat indifferent, but I'd like to see the Bombers in the WS. Problem is, the Yankees 1) Don't seem to know. or remember, how to work the Astros pitching, they jump on too many first pitches for outs; 2) The Yankees are seeming to rely on the long ball for wins (and are unfortunately not hitting the long ball right now). How about playing some small ball and hitting an RBI please...!

And, let's go Nats! Give the Cards a break and stretch out the series please...

blues
10-15-2019, 04:44 PM
My son, a devout Yankees fan, is having a meltdown!
I'm somewhat indifferent, but I'd like to see the Bombers in the WS. Problem is, the Yankees 1) Don't seem to know. or remember, how to work the Astros pitching, they jump on too many first pitches for outs; 2) The Yankees are seeming to rely on the long ball for wins (and are unfortunately not hitting the long ball right now). How about playing some small ball and hitting an RBI please...!

Damn, I'm shocked you guys can hear me yelling all the way from here!!!

:cool:

My wife is probably sick of hearing me yell about plate discipline and not making the pitcher's work easier. (Especially since they have the better staff.)

Tell your son I know how he feels. I was 12 when the Yankees lost to the Cards in '64...and it wasn't until '76 that they got back to the World Series and got swept by Cincy. '77 and '78, however, were a bit of redemption. I was at the parade in '77. I had just inked my paperwork to come on as a federal employee and stood in front of City Hall and got to congratulate and talk to some of the Yankees.

TC215
10-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Ottavino. Ugh.

blues
10-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Ottavino. Ugh.

How long have I been harping on this? I just don't understand how the hell Boone can't understand the guy doesn't have the big game / pressure gene.

(Kind of like Sonny Gray who could only start pitching again once he was traded out of NY.)

I know Ottavino is a local guy but he doesn't have the backbone necessary for the Bronx.

Every time he's called upon it's either a walk, a hit and then he sits.

And Zack with a K and Happ aren't far behind in my estimation.

blues
10-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Astros were simply the superior team tonight.

Yankees need to wake the hell up if they want a chance in this series.

Det1397
10-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Here comes the Nats after at least two on field foops by the Cards! 5 zip in the First (so far...)

cornstalker
10-15-2019, 09:26 PM
I wanted to watch the Yanks and Astros. Was pissed to find that the game was over before I got off work. Then I figured out that the Nats/Cards were playing in the middle of the 7th...

Seriously slacking.

Darth_Uno
10-15-2019, 10:16 PM
Swept by the wild card team.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/463fe6816cf5f134c24a54c735d324ef.jpg

blues
10-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Swept by the wild card team.

But they had the better record, so...

If my memory serves, the last time the Yankees won, 2009, they were the wild card. Or maybe I'm confusing them with the NY Giants who won as a wild card around the same point in time.

Darth_Uno
10-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Cardinals did too in 2011. Or 2006. One of those.

All else aside, you're not supposed to lose to the wild card.

You are supposed to hit the ball and get on base. Hence, base-ball.

Hambo
10-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Cardinals did too in 2011. Or 2006. One of those.

All else aside, you're not supposed to lose to the wild card.

If baseball were still baseball, you wouldn't have to beat a wild card. #realignmentsucks (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=realignmentsucks) #stayoffmyinfieldlawn (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=stayoffmyinfieldlawn)

blues
10-16-2019, 04:31 PM
If baseball were still baseball, you wouldn't have to beat a wild card. #realignmentsucks (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=realignmentsucks) #stayoffmyinfieldlawn (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=stayoffmyinfieldlawn)

I've been having that discussion with the missus quite a bit lately. Used to be just the two best teams in both leagues battled it out. So it'd have been Astros vs. Dodgers

Of course, when I started going to hockey games it was still just the original six. (That's Boston, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto and Montreal for you miserable lot who know nothing about hockey.)

And dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Darth_Uno
10-16-2019, 05:04 PM
I don't like the second wild card. Divisions I'm ok with, you gotta win the division even if it's weak (like the 2019 NL Central). But you can grind all year to get finish 2-3 games ahead of the 2nd wild card spot and get hosed in one game. I dunno. I know it's all about the post-season chase, and the excitement, and squeaking into a playoff spot, and getting hot when you're under the gun tv revenue, but it doesn't seen fair.

Darth_Uno
10-16-2019, 05:16 PM
True story:

In a softball league my team was tied for 4th place, and only the top 4 teams made the playoffs. We split this team 2-2 in the season, but being a semi-rural beer league nobody knew the run totals for those games or any others. Last night of league we were offered the chance to play an early playoff game at 8:00 am on Saturday, or just flip a coin right now on Friday night. I took a team vote and we flipped....and lost. Of course some guys were mad, but I knew for a fact I wasn't going to get 10 (slowpitch plays with 10) guys to show up at 8 am on Saturday anyway.

Hambo
10-17-2019, 06:24 AM
I've quit watching the post-season, and not just because the Indians aren't in it. MLB is all about the long run of 162 games. If a player or a team has a bad game, it really doesn't matter. What matters is the average, the long term trend. That's the season, and then baseball changes radically for the playoffs. One, five, or seven game playoffs are a radical change in the game. Management strategies that wouldn't be used in the regular season become necessary. Because it's so different, it might as well be Darth_Uno's coin toss, or a series of them. The playoff structure was changed not because it's better, or even good baseball, but to increase revenue for more teams.

And don't get me started on trying to make games take less time. :rolleyes:

blues
10-17-2019, 08:13 AM
I've quit watching the post-season, and not just because the Indians aren't in it. MLB is all about the long run of 162 games. If a player or a team has a bad game, it really doesn't matter. What matters is the average, the long term trend. That's the season, and then baseball changes radically for the playoffs. One, five, or seven game playoffs are a radical change in the game. Management strategies that wouldn't be used in the regular season become necessary. Because it's so different, it might as well be Darth_Uno's coin toss, or a series of them. The playoff structure was changed not because it's better, or even good baseball, but to increase revenue for more teams.

And don't get me started on trying to make games take less time. :rolleyes:

I'm not far behind you and my team is still in it. I just don't care for the way the game is being run from top to bottom. There's a lot not to like.

I'd still like my team to win but I care less and less daily. My wife is more invested in sports these days as she has a relationship with a lot of other fans and broadcasters online.

Also the lack of sportsmanship and wildly exorbitant contracts, (across the various sports and leagues in general...less so, hockey) are off-putting.

Darth_Uno
10-17-2019, 03:13 PM
I've quit watching the post-season, and not just because the Indians aren't in it.

I'll still watch although at this point I don't really care who wins. There's a lot of ways you could criticize baseball as an industry...but I just like the game. And, to a lesser degree, the players. They're not a bunch of showboating assholes like the NBA and NFL.

Hambo
10-17-2019, 03:26 PM
I'll still watch although at this point I don't really care who wins. There's a lot of ways you could criticize baseball as an industry...but I just like the game. And, to a lesser degree, the players. They're not a bunch of showboating assholes like the NBA and NFL.

I love the game, which is why I prefer going to a game, any game. MLB, minors, college, HS, it's all good. Failing that I love to watch the Tribe every night, seeing how the season goes from night to night.

blues
10-17-2019, 03:57 PM

The Astros come mighty close...and have for the past few years.

TC215
10-17-2019, 04:03 PM
The Astros come mighty close...and have for the past few years.

Which is why I’ll be cheering for the Nationals if the Yanks don’t come through.

blues
10-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Which is why I’ll be cheering for the Nationals if the Yanks don’t come through.

You know that!

TC215
10-18-2019, 09:28 PM
They finally woke up. Back to Texas.

blues
10-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Live to fight another day...

(Sure glad we didn't see Ottavino today.)

Det1397
10-18-2019, 10:16 PM

They did, but only for one inning... They had a total of one hit after the first inning! Fortunately Paxton and the bullpen were on spot tonight, keeping the Asstros down. They need to come alive in the next game against Cole- and btw, let's bench Sanchez ( 0 for 3, all Ks!) and put in Romine for a chance to show his clutch hitting...

blues
10-18-2019, 10:35 PM
They did, but only for one inning... They had a total of one hit after the first inning! Fortunately Paxton and the bullpen were on spot tonight, keeping the Asstros down. They need to come alive in the next game against Cole- and btw, let's bench Sanchez ( 0 for 3, all Ks!) and put in Romine for a chance to show his clutch hitting...

I'd like to see Romine in there for Sanchez...and they need to take Stanton out as well, despite Encarnacion being in a slump. It's unfortunate that it's too late to make larger scale changes. But the bench is what it is.

blues
10-19-2019, 03:48 PM
I may require more than one strong bottle of ale this evening...bourbon and single malt standing by in case called upon.

https://www.unacasa.co.uk/ekmps/shops/website/images/in-case-of-case-of-emergency-break-glass-miniature-gin-novelty-gift-frame-417-p.jpg

Det1397
10-19-2019, 05:48 PM
From a devout Yankees fan friend of mine (former NYPD MOS) earlier tonight: "Look on the bright side- if the Asstros win tonight, at least they won't be celebrating on Yankee turf!"

blues
10-19-2019, 06:27 PM
From a devout Yankees fan friend of mine (former NYPD MOS) earlier tonight: "Look on the bright side- if the Asstros win tonight, at least they won't be celebrating on Yankee turf!"

Way ahead of him...the missus and I crossed that off our list last night. A few line items to go...

blues
10-19-2019, 07:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/BiPnXl7.jpg

blues
10-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Somebody needs to get the home plate ump a seeing eye dog. At least two strikes called well off the plate. Nice way to kill the at bat for Gardner.

blues
10-19-2019, 09:11 PM
It seems like the Astro pitchers are getting calls wide of the plate for strikes that the Yankees pitchers are not. It's already hurt a few of our batters as there is no way they can reach those pitches.

I can't be the only one seeing this. I've never been one for win at any cost, I just ask for it to be a level playing field for both teams. We lose, we lose.

Back to crosswords to distract my mind.

cornstalker
10-19-2019, 10:07 PM
I for sure saw three. One inside and two outside. Two to Gardner, one to Lemahieu. The only one I noticed against the Astros was one that was high to Altuve. That stands to reason though. At least it was over the plate.

Darth_Uno
10-19-2019, 11:36 PM
That was a good game. Unless you’re a Yankees fan. After the home run tied it in the 9th I was really hoping for them to take it to Game 7.

All my TX friends are blowing up Facebook/IG, even though most didn’t care about baseball until about a week ago. My (follow along) wife’s sister’s father-in-law was at the game, he’s actually a huge fan but he’s also smart and doesn’t do social media.

blues
10-20-2019, 07:57 AM
I for sure saw three. One inside and two outside. Two to Gardner, one to Lemahieu. The only one I noticed against the Astros was one that was high to Altuve. That stands to reason though. At least it was over the plate.

To be honest, I got aggravated enough that I just gave up watching the game and went back to a book I had been reading. The missus retrieved me to watch LeMahieu's homer which tied the game and then I left and went back to the book again. I just knew it wasn't going to end well in the bottom of the inning when Chapman would be called upon.

I heard my wife's lament from the other room and just kept on with the reading. At least I missed the celebration which I'm sure would have pushed me over the edge.

All I have to say now is Gonads!, I mean "Go Nats!".

Hambo
10-20-2019, 08:56 AM
I'm a Michael Brantley fan because of he hits like Albert Belle minus the rage. I know fuck all about the Nats even though they train down the road from me. I suppose their WS appearance means that their spring training tickets will cost more.

TC215
10-20-2019, 12:28 PM
What a disappointing end to the season.

https://i.imgur.com/HNhhiJc.jpg

Is it Spring yet?

Rex G
10-22-2019, 11:09 PM
What a disappointing end to the season.

https://i.imgur.com/HNhhiJc.jpg

Is it Spring yet?

Eh, no worries; the Astros will probably choke. The only reason I cared about game one of the whirled series, is the concern about game traffic, as we were in the downtown Houston for a totally unrelated reason.

Yep, sure ‘nuff; Astros lost.

Darth_Uno
10-23-2019, 02:53 PM
I gotta root for the underdog.

I do like Altuve though. He just seems like a genuinely good dude. That’s becoming pretty rare in pro sports.

blues
10-23-2019, 03:11 PM
I gotta root for the underdog.

I do like Altuve though. He just seems like a genuinely good dude. That’s becoming pretty rare in pro sports.

The guy is the perfect incarnation of Mighty Mouse. I hate the Astros but I have a great deal of grudging respect for his talent. (I know nothing about his character as a person but am glad to hear you speak well of him. The game can use more folks with character.)

Darth_Uno
10-23-2019, 11:13 PM
Daaaaaamn Gina. That was a beating.

blues
10-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Daaaaaamn Gina. That was a beating.

I'm afraid to get my hopes up...but so far, so good.

Det1397
10-30-2019, 12:57 PM
BIG game tonight! Will the Nats feed off of last night's comeback or will the Asstros rebound... either way, hopefully it's a good game.

UNM1136
10-30-2019, 12:58 PM
So far the only Series in Hx when the visiting team wins all...so far.

pat

blues
10-30-2019, 01:30 PM
I think it all comes down to whether the issue that kept Scherzer on the bench the other day is sufficiently resolved to let him be effective.

Greinke has been a great pitcher for a long time but I think he's a little less daunting at this point than, say, Cole would be under the same circumstances.

I hope the Nats can pull it off but if not, so be it.

Darth_Uno
10-30-2019, 03:46 PM
After Trump got booed, now I don't want the Nats to win.

But I don't want Houston to win either.

Hmm.

UNM1136
10-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Houston has a local-to-me boy done good at 3rd base. I hated his dad when he was the DA locally, but he did some solid work defending a couple of work acquantences of mine, and several co-workers that I have rodeoed with on da streetz and trust with my life endorse him So I am rooting for the Astros. For the local kid and not so bad dad.

And my Diamondbacks are still shit...

pat

blues
10-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Houston has a local-to-me boy done good at 3rd base. I hated his dad when he was the DA locally, but he did some solid work defending a work acquantence of mine, and several co-workers that I have rodeoed with on da streetz and trust with my life endorse him So I am rooting for the Astros. For the local kid and not so bad dad.

And my Diamondbacks are still shit...

pat

As the saying goes, better a guilty man goes free than an innocent man goes to prison. (Of course, the guilty guy doesn't get a pass...)

Didn't know his dad was a D.A. Kid's a hell of a player, no doubt. A cocky SOB as well, but I hear he's a good guy so I give him a bit of a pass there.

11B10
10-30-2019, 04:57 PM
I think it all comes down to whether the issue that kept Scherzer on the bench the other day is sufficiently resolved to let him be effective.

Greinke has been a great pitcher for a long time but I think he's a little less daunting at this point than, say, Cole would be under the same circumstances.

I hope the Nats can pull it off but if not, so be it.

That issue (Scherzer's neck/back) is literally on a timer of sorts. I've been for the Nationals from the start for two reasons: They're from the NL East, the same division my team (the Phillies) are from. And..they're the underdogs. As if I needed more, the revelations about the Astros front office and worse, their team philosophy, which I didn't know about till the series, just made my choice even easier. It's a shame that players as good as the Astros have such pathetic leadership. I'm a bit selfish about tonight's game because I have to get up at 5:00 tomorrow morning and am praying for no extra innings.😑. Oughta be a great game.

Play ball!

Kanye Wyoming
10-30-2019, 09:27 PM
My daughter lives in Washington. Her boyfriend grew up there and is a passionate Expos fan. He had access to WS tickets for all three home games, two of which might have been the one that gave them the Series. One of my daughter’s best friends got married in Georgia on the weekend and my daughter was in the wedding. He went to the wedding with her. True love, and better yet he won’t have any lingering regrets since the Expos lost all three.

Mutatis mutandis, I would have gone to the three Phillies WS games. That would have been a shame because things have worked out nicely with my wife for all these years and who knows what kind of psycho I might have ended up with after she ditched me.

blues
10-30-2019, 10:52 PM
Wow!!!

Det1397
10-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Wow!!!

What a comeback! Way to go Nats!

Darth_Uno
10-31-2019, 06:28 PM
My (follow along) wife’s sister’s father-in-law was at the game.../

Poor form to quote myself, but this same person went to ALL SEVEN World Series Games. That's a lot of money to watch your team lose.

Granted, he can afford it. More power to him. I can't.

Kanye Wyoming
10-31-2019, 08:04 PM

Rex G
10-31-2019, 08:14 PM
A new historic stat: Each game of this series was won by the visiting team; first time ever for a whirled series.

I am not disappointed that those ‘stros lost.

Wondering Beard
11-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Make DC great again?

blues
11-01-2019, 11:53 AM
https://youtu.be/vo1KHLLsZ_4