PDA

View Full Version : What bulk 9mm for Glocks?

KevH
06-08-2019, 10:46 PM
What bulk 9mm bullets are you guys buying to reload for Glock pistols? I'd like to stick to 124 or 125 gr.

LittleLebowski
06-08-2019, 11:27 PM
These with Titegroup.

https://gallantbullets.com/collections/9mm-380-caliber/products/125gr-round-nose

andre3k
06-09-2019, 12:05 AM
http://www.brazosprecision.com/9mm-125gr-Round-NoseBevel-BaseGroove-840ct-005bullet_p_20.html

CleverNickname
06-09-2019, 02:57 AM
I use 147 grain FP Blue Bullets, but they also offer 125 grain.

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1913.htm
https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1833.htm

mmc45414
06-09-2019, 07:27 AM
My experience with these is not Glock specific, but in quantity these FMJs are just a few bucks more than any option I have found. I have used a buttload of the 115g:
https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-115gr-concave-fmj-bullets.html
and they have these in 124g:
https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-concave-fmj-bullets.html

Mirolynmonbro
06-09-2019, 08:55 AM
The blue bullets

45dotACP
06-09-2019, 10:34 AM
I use a lot of SNS casting.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
06-09-2019, 11:24 AM
I like the Bayou 124 coated. It has a distinct shoulder so you can load it like a SWC with that shoulder at or just short of the rifling. Avoids a lot of the short throat syndrome.

There are probably other brands out of the same mould; until the no lube groove patterns got popular for coating, commercial cast bullets were nearly all Magmas.

ViniVidivici
06-09-2019, 12:11 PM
I prefer Montana Gold, but the cheapest I've found locally is Rainier Ballistics or HSM plated.

Lately been using the HSMs, 124gr, with Titegroup. 4.3 gr. Very accurate in my Glocks.

revchuck38
06-09-2019, 12:45 PM
My experience with these is not Glock specific, but in quantity these FMJs are just a few bucks more than any option I have found. I have used a buttload of the 115g:
https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-115gr-concave-fmj-bullets.html
and they have these in 124g:
https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-concave-fmj-bullets.html

Also not Glock specific, but I've had good luck with their 124s in my PX4s, CZ-75s, SIG P6, and Walther P99C. Note that they're SAAMI spec; they measure .354- and may not work with some sizer dies. I've used the Lee standard and their tighter spec sizer dies and both worked for me. They're the cheapest decent 9mm bullets I've found.

cjb1911
06-09-2019, 02:47 PM
I recently switched from bayou to Brazos. I really liked the bayou 147 FP but I like saving on sales tax even more and Brazos 145 RN does a decent job. So I would recommend either of those for 124s.

03RN
06-09-2019, 07:47 PM
I'm becoming a big fan of rimrock bullets. Buffalo bore uses them and I'm about 7,200 bullets in for my .357 and .38s.

I'd try these for my 9s
https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/9mm-tc-122-gr-per-500.html#product-details-tab-reviews

Tokarev
06-10-2019, 11:52 AM
I've had good luck with these:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/9mm-355/9mm-115-gr-rmr-jacketed-hollow-point-mini-multi-purpose-round-bullets/

RMR has several other styles, too.

Wayne Dobbs
06-27-2019, 03:45 PM

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/9mm-355/9mm-115-gr-rmr-jacketed-hollow-point-mini-multi-purpose-round-bullets/

Another vote for RMR. I've been using their 124 grain truncated cone bullets for a while with complete satisfaction. I load either 4.0 Titegroup or 4.2 VV N320.

SMJayman
07-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Have you guys done an accuracy comparison vs. Montana Gold with these? I don't love MG pricing, but their consistency and accuracy is friggin' amazing, which is why I'm loathe to switch. That said, the price on the RMR bullet is right....

Sal Picante
07-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Have you guys done an accuracy comparison vs. Montana Gold with these? I don't love MG pricing, but their consistency and accuracy is friggin' amazing, which is why I'm loathe to switch. That said, the price on the RMR bullet is right....

What kind of accuracy do you expect?

If you're just doing bulk, cheap reloads to get gooder at USPSA and aren't shooting an open gun, forget the Montana Golds.

If you loading match ammo, I totally get it: A solid, jacketed bullet cuts down on the smoke, runs cleaner, etc.

If you're loading for PPC, Bianchi, etc. then a super consistent MG or Hornady HAP is the ticket.

Regarding accuracy testing: I tried to shoot Bianchi Cup (Loved the shooting, hated the format. NRA doesn't know how to run a match for shit...) and since I was sponsored by Wilson Combat and SNS Casting at the time, spent some time working up a load for my Beretta BrigTac.

I can shoot PPC alright and enjoyed getting back after the accuracy bit.

p/BTZheuHAL8q

Some 50 yard work (off bags) with some SNS 125FP's and 5.1gr Silhouette. It's a revolver bullet, but it seems to be accurate enough in the Beretta 92 when sized to .357". I may run the bullets out a bit longer, but I think this is about as good as it is going to get for shooting Bianchi Cup this year... That's a just sub 6" group with a stock Beretta barrel and a tuned Wilson trigger and some USPSA sights.

I had some bad experiences too - it depends on your gun, the powder, etc.

p/BTenlj6Atmw

I recall Bruce Gray shooting cast lead FP 124's with Titegroup (HOLY SMOKES! Pun intended) and getting ~2" groups at 25. No bags. No supports... So, it is out there, you just have to put the components together "right".

SMJayman
07-01-2019, 12:48 PM
What kind of accuracy do you expect?

2-3" at 25 yards works for me. I do everything from IDPA to bullseye type shooting and I don't want to switch ammo back and forth, it is just too much annoyance for me. That's why I've usually just gotten the MGs, but if I can either shoot the same for cheaper or shoot more for the same, obvs I'm going to try for that. I ordered 100 of the RMRs to do a comparo. (And ordering just 100 ain't cheap, but if they run well then 3k pays me back for the experiment.)

Sal Picante
07-01-2019, 08:52 PM
2-3" at 25 yards works for me. I do everything from IDPA to bullseye type shooting and I don't want to switch ammo back and forth, it is just too much annoyance for me. That's why I've usually just gotten the MGs, but if I can either shoot the same for cheaper or shoot more for the same, obvs I'm going to try for that. I ordered 100 of the RMRs to do a comparo. (And ordering just 100 ain't cheap, but if they run well then 3k pays me back for the experiment.)

I think comparing MG's with the RMR's you're going to find a similar level of performance...

The coated bullets (Bayou, SNS, Gallant, Blue Bullets, Acme, etc...) all perform similarly and generally cost ~30-40 dollars cheaper than what you'd pay for jacketed bullets (by the 1000). Some companies have profile/weight characteristics that some folks like (e.g. 160gr PCC bullets from SNS vs 124gr Lube-groove bullets from Bayou), but it mostly boils down to people ordering from the folks they've established relationships with.
(I've had a long time relationship with the Stinar's of SNS - they give back a lot to the shooting sports and are good folks. They were a good sponsor to me...)

The biggest issue associated with coated bullets is the smoke: It depends on the powder a lot of the time, but generally, they all smoke. Shooting into the rising sun at the Frostproof with coated bullets is a real inconvenience...

If you want cheap & good enough, check out some of the coated bullets.

SMJayman
07-02-2019, 07:17 AM
I think comparing MG's with the RMR's you're going to find a similar level of performance...

The coated bullets (Bayou, SNS, Gallant, Blue Bullets, Acme, etc...) all perform similarly and generally cost ~30-40 dollars cheaper than what you'd pay for jacketed bullets (by the 1000). Some companies have profile/weight characteristics that some folks like (e.g. 160gr PCC bullets from SNS vs 124gr Lube-groove bullets from Bayou), but it mostly boils down to people ordering from the folks they've established relationships with.
(I've had a long time relationship with the Stinar's of SNS - they give back a lot to the shooting sports and are good folks. They were a good sponsor to me...)

The biggest issue associated with coated bullets is the smoke: It depends on the powder a lot of the time, but generally, they all smoke. Shooting into the rising sun at the Frostproof with coated bullets is a real inconvenience...

If you want cheap & good enough, check out some of the coated bullets.

The smoke factor keeps me away from the coated ones. I've tried them before, but with Titegroup and coateds I feel like I'm shooting an old west 6 gun. That's why I'm just trying to find a jacketed bullet that is reasonably accurate, reasonably priced, etc. RMRs may be the ticket, I'll load some when I get them and compare vs. my MG load to see what they look like. I'll post some results when I get them.

45dotACP
07-02-2019, 11:21 AM
The smoke factor keeps me away from the coated ones. I've tried them before, but with Titegroup and coateds I feel like I'm shooting an old west 6 gun. That's why I'm just trying to find a jacketed bullet that is reasonably accurate, reasonably priced, etc. RMRs may be the ticket, I'll load some when I get them and compare vs. my MG load to see what they look like. I'll post some results when I get them.Running titegroup with coated bullets is extremely smokey. Sometimes a different powder is less so. 2-3inch groups at 25 yards should not be terribly difficult with coated bullets though. Assuming your gun is up to the task.

Sal Picante
07-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Running titegroup with coated bullets is extremely smokey. Sometimes a different powder is less so. 2-3inch groups at 25 yards should not be terribly difficult with coated bullets though. Assuming your gun is up to the task.

Biggest reason I switched to Win231... It is just super mild, minimally smokey with a 147...

mmc45414
07-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Biggest reason I switched to Win231... It is just super mild, minimally smokey with a 147...
I am gonna hijack this thread to include powder. Seems like many use Titegroup, but it comes with baggage. During the dark times when the shelves were bare I backed into 8 pounds of Titegroup and ended up loading it all, mostly in 9mm, so that is a buttload of Titegroup. I also got stuck with some pretty lame lead bullets, and this combination pretty much dissuaded me on Titegroup. Now that you can buy what you want I am using Clays, in part because it is versatile, including using it for 12g.

Those that are using Titegroup, is it just that good that you tolerate the quirks? Is there some other overwhelming favorite for 9mm?

Spartan1980
07-02-2019, 02:27 PM
I am gonna hijack this thread to include powder. Seems like many use Titegroup, but it comes with baggage. During the dark times when the shelves were bare I backed into 8 pounds of Titegroup and ended up loading it all, mostly in 9mm, so that is a buttload of Titegroup. I also got stuck with some pretty lame lead bullets, and this combination pretty much dissuaded me on Titegroup. Now that you can buy what you want I am using Clays, in part because it is versatile, including using it for 12g.

Those that are using Titegroup, is it just that good that you tolerate the quirks? Is there some other overwhelming favorite for 9mm?

I've seen Titegroup cause tumbling. It was in two different guns (an M&P and G34) and EACH gun had an aftermarket Lone Wolf or Storm Lake barrel. The titegroup loads were tumbling out of all 4 barrels. I opened up my ammo can for them, shooting the exact same bullet loaded with WST and it didn't tumble. These were with commercial non-coated lead bullets. One of the guys having tumbling issues was the bullet supplier and we were prepping for an upcoming Area match. Out of my 9Pro they were still flying true at 50 yards. With Titegroup they were tumbling at 10.

I've long since quit the non-coated lead. And when my 6 or 7k Acme coated are gone I'll likely be shooting MG or PD JHPs from now on. Coated bullets are drastically better than non-coated as to smoke, but they still do. Titegroup seems to be the frontrunner on causing smoky loads. Even with coated, it's an issue when shooting into the sun. Hell, even normal FMJ are if they have an exposed base.

Save the Titegroup for jacketed. It's fantastic for those.

mmc45414
07-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Save the Titegroup for jacketed. It's fantastic for those.
I used it all up, actually still shooting it but it is all behind jacketed bullets. Don't plan to try it again unless there is a reason I don't know about yet, but that is why I asked. Since I went away from it because of lead, but have now switched to jacketed, this group seems to have reloaded a metric buttload of 9mm so I asked.

Spartan1980
07-02-2019, 02:54 PM
I used it all up, actually still shooting it but it is all behind jacketed bullets. Don't plan to try it again unless there is a reason I don't know about yet, but that is why I asked. Since I went away from it because of lead, but have now switched to jacketed, this group seems to have reloaded a metric buttload of 9mm so I asked.

Titegroup is very consistent lot to lot. It's very easy to ignite, can be very accurate and it's very economical. For me it has only two downfalls: Smoke with lead, coated lead, and exposed lead based FMJs and it heats up the gun terribly when shooting revo loads. Not really an issue except during practice as you will have to let the gun cool off because the cylinder is too hot to reload. But from a ballistic standpoint it's good stuff for bulk loading gamer or plinking type loads.

JAD
07-02-2019, 03:15 PM
I tried to shoot Bianchi Cup (Loved the shooting, hated the format. NRA doesn't know how to run a match for shit...)

They used to. Bianchi was baller when Hewins ran that match. It's been a few years tho. He still runs the Midwest Tactical Shotgun Festival, which is a /hoot/.

SMJayman
07-03-2019, 06:04 AM
Almost all of the pistol rounds I've reloaded have been with jacketed or plated bullets and titegroup. I know it isn't a perfect powder, but it works really consistently for me. I've tried a few other powders, and while I didn't hate them, I keep coming back to titegroup. (Beaten step-child syndrome? I dunno.) I realize that the coated bullets and titegroup may have been a less than stellar combo. I didn't see any tumbling or loss of accuracy with that combination though, I just saw a freight train's worth of smoke.

At this point I've probably loaded 10k/year on average since 2003 with titegroup and some copper clad projectile. (Not feeling the math at this point, but my 650 has been back to Dillon once for a refurb. It's seen some miles.) I've never seen any chrono or accuracy issues, lot to lot, with this powder. I don't want to spend tinkering time when I could be spending shooting time, and so for me this setup works well. Now I'm just trying to find the best bulk bullet in terms of accuracy vs. price. (That is still jacketed.) I realize I could go to lead or coated bullets and save even more cash, but see above for me being lazy now that I have my combo.

I will post back once I get those other bullets and try them out. I'll bench and use bullseyes for accuracy comparison out of my RMRed G19. While I don't have a ransom rest, I've had pretty good luck just resting the gun on a saddle type rest and working from that.

revchuck38
07-03-2019, 08:49 AM
If all I shot was JHPs in autoloaders, I could happily settle on Titegroup forever. It's cheap, consistent and accurate. Alas, I also shoot revolvers and coated bullets and FMJs with exposed bases. I need something that burns cooler and plays better with coated bullets.

Sal Picante
07-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Almost all of the pistol rounds I've reloaded have been with jacketed or plated bullets and titegroup. I know it isn't a perfect powder, but it works really consistently for me. I've tried a few other powders, and while I didn't hate them, I keep coming back to titegroup. (Beaten step-child syndrome? I dunno.) I realize that the coated bullets and titegroup may have been a less than stellar combo. I didn't see any tumbling or loss of accuracy with that combination though, I just saw a freight train's worth of smoke.

At this point I've probably loaded 10k/year on average since 2003 with titegroup and some copper clad projectile. (Not feeling the math at this point, but my 650 has been back to Dillon once for a refurb. It's seen some miles.) I've never seen any chrono or accuracy issues, lot to lot, with this powder. I don't want to spend tinkering time when I could be spending shooting time, and so for me this setup works well. Now I'm just trying to find the best bulk bullet in terms of accuracy vs. price. (That is still jacketed.) I realize I could go to lead or coated bullets and save even more cash, but see above for me being lazy now that I have my combo.

I will post back once I get those other bullets and try them out. I'll bench and use bullseyes for accuracy comparison out of my RMRed G19. While I don't have a ransom rest, I've had pretty good luck just resting the gun on a saddle type rest and working from that.

You know what might really work for you?

https://www.xtremebullets.com

They're a plated bullet - I really liked them, but a few of the people there were just unpleasant to deal with when coordinating a few bulks buys for the old club.

Sal Picante
07-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Titegroup is very consistent lot to lot. It's very easy to ignite, can be very accurate and it's very economical. For me it has only two downfalls: Smoke with lead, coated lead, and exposed lead based FMJs and it heats up the gun terribly when shooting revo loads. Not really an issue except during practice as you will have to let the gun cool off because the cylinder is too hot to reload. But from a ballistic standpoint it's good stuff for bulk loading gamer or plinking type loads.

I LOVE tittygroup.

If I go back to shooting jacketed (Everglades Ammo is down here and Precision Delta still makes an excellent 124HP) I'd dig into my 16 #'s of titegroup stash...

mmc45414
07-04-2019, 06:25 AM
dig into my 16 #'s of titegroup stash...That is probably only enough for 32k rounds, better save that for a rainy day... :)

Hambo
07-06-2019, 06:44 AM
You know what might really work for you?

https://www.xtremebullets.com

They're a plated bullet - I really liked them, but a few of the people there were just unpleasant to deal with when coordinating a few bulks buys for the old club.

Good bullets, but the company is hit and miss. They forgot to ship me one order until I emailed them a WTF? message. A friend mistakenly hit 147 when he ordered online, so I bought them from him. In original packaging labeled 147gr, there was a mix of 147, 124, and 115.

ViniVidivici
07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Whoa, that's not cool.

I just loaded a batch of 500 of their 147s. Over 3.5 gr of Titegroup, no problems.

Got 'em from sages reloading supply. Fantastic company, it's where I'm getting all my bulk stuff now.

CCT125US
07-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Would these be similar to Gold Dot in regards to expansion?

revchuck38
07-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Would these be similar to Gold Dot in regards to expansion?

Typically, bulk cup-and-core JHPs aren't designed primarily with expansion in mind. Their main benefit is a base with no exposed lead and they also tend to be more accurate than FMJs. They'd have to be tested with the same protocol as self-defense bullets to determine how/if they expand.

Hambo
07-15-2019, 07:35 AM
It wasn't bad because I was using 147 data, so the few light loaded 115 or 124 I fired were just wimpy. Could have been bad the other way around, but you'd notice the difference between 147 and 115. What sucked was sorting out three different weights.

deputyG23
07-19-2019, 08:09 AM
I haven't bought any for a while, but RMR occasionally has plated 124 grain FP .355 bullets for about $81/1000. I like the FP because it cuts a cleaner hole in the targets. Sitting on about 2.5 K of them. Using 5.4 grains of BE-86 yields about 1125 FPS in a G19, good function, and enough accuracy for my needs.

4given
08-23-2019, 11:37 AM
I order Xtreme plate bullets online most of the time and they work just fine. I order from RMR as well. Good experiances with both companies.

deputyG23
08-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Another vote for RMR. I've been using their 124 grain truncated cone bullets for a while with complete satisfaction. I load either 4.0 Titegroup or 4.2 VV N320.

RMR for me as well. 124 grain FP bullet with 5.4 grains of BE-86 yields about 1175 FPS average from a G2 G19.

andre3k
08-23-2019, 08:33 PM
RMR for me as well. 124 grain FP bullet with 5.4 grains of BE-86 yields about 1175 FPS average from a G2 G19.That's my standard bulk 9mm load. No complaints.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete 10
08-24-2019, 10:07 AM
I usually load plated bullets for 9 mm. I've used 4 or 5 different brands and far as I can tell they are all good to go. I use Titegroup with them. I did load and shoot 1000 cast RN bullets, used Unique for the cast bullets, turns out they work fine in my Beretta and Citadel. I had hoped for better accuracy than the plated bullets, couldn't tell any difference. Have a new Glock and a DW Valkyrie. Going to load some 125 cast SWC for the Valkyrie, also have some real jacketed bullets from RMR and some Hornady HAP to test.
One surprise with the Cast in the Beretta and the Citadel was that they ran cleaner than I thought they would, a lot cleaner than cast runs in my .45s. I suspect higher pressure made them burn cleaner.
Still hitting 100 everyday here, gotta wait til it cools off a little.

awp_101
09-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Glad I found this thread since I'm feeling the need to start stocking up on components...

NETim
10-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Acme!!! And you get a free pair of rocket roller skates with every purchase!!*

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/9MM-Lead-Cast-Reloading-Bullets

*Statement may contain a slight prevarication or two.

camsdaddy
10-14-2019, 01:55 PM
I have shot a lot of ACME bullets in 9mm and 38. I like the 124 over 4.0 of TG and the 145 over 3.5 of TG. They are smokey and Im sure there is better powder. I have never experimented.

They have never sent me roller skates.