PDA

View Full Version : How to get the Most out of a Class

smells like feet
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
For the instructors on here.

What advise would you give to students on how to get the most out of your class.

What makes a good student.

What do students do that sabotages themselves and cheats them of the value of taking your class.

JV_
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
[I'm not an instructor]

I've been through a dozen classes or so, and have noticed that the other students who really improved the most had 3 things in common:

Egos were checked at the door
Had a very open mind
Asked for a lot for clarification on techniques

I'm also interested in what the instructors have to say.

ToddG
03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Try.

Honest, that's the only thing an instructor can ask for. Try to do what is being taught. If it conflicts with prior training, try it and take the time to assess what works best for you. If you don't have prior training, go with the class material rather than quote back the sixteen things you've read on the internet that contradict it.

Otherwise, the only major hurdle for some students is ego. Be honest about what class you sign up for... not everyone is ready for Super Double Advanced Ninja Tactics III. Not everyone is ready to be the stand out top guy at a given class... shoot to your level and learn what you can, don't focus on whether you're as fast or accurate as the guy next to you.

TCinVA
03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Before the class:

1. Carefully select the class based on addressing a shortcoming you've identified after a careful examination of your strengths and weaknesses in relation to goals you've set for yourself. If, for example, my goal is to be better in USPSA, I should probably avoid signing up for that team-based CQB course because it doesn't teach what I want to learn.

2. Carefully vet the instructor. Read AAR's, paying particular attention to the AAR's from people who have been to classes with lots of other people. Beware the AAR from the guy who only trains with one outfit/person as they're probably more of a fanboy than a seeker of knowledge. Look for the instructor's basic philosophy and clues about his/her ability to effectively translate knowledge.

In the class:

1. Have a good attitude. It's impossible to get anything out of a class if you're convinced you know it all.

2. Make an effort to try things the way the instructor teaches them unless you are forbidden to do so because in your job as an armed professional you are stuck doing X. Even then, giving the instructor's way a try may just show you a bit of what you are missing and help you make the argument for reform.

3. Be open to the input of the other students who appear to know their stuff. I'm not talking about lapping up everything the dumbest guy in the class has to say. In every class I've ever been to there have been people on the line who were experienced and knowledgeable in their own right and if you pay attention you can learn as much from them as from the instructor.

4. Take notes. Take them because there's no way you'll remember everything without them.

5. Take care of your personal needs. Learning is much easier when you aren't dealing with dehydration and sun poisoning. You're also much less likely to shoot yourself or someone else when your mental faculties are operating at 100%.

6. Ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't be an impediment to instruction. Endless questions will make your fellow classmates hate your guts, and rightly so. Nothing wrong with asking for clarification or an opinion or assistance, but don't monopolize the instructor's time.

After the class:

Try to network with your fellow students. See if you can get together for range days where you can work on some of the stuff you learned.

ToddG
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd like to delete my post and copy TCinVA's instead, please.

Kyle Reese
03-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Bring a spare handgun / carbine. Ask me how I know. :o

Mitchell, Esq.
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Keep in your mind you showed up & paid a lot of money to have someone show you something that they do better than you do; rather than paying them to show them how you do it.

And don't get hammered the night before. It makes for a difficult time showing up early...

Kyle Reese
03-15-2011, 05:22 PM
I've witnessed the whole "lets go to the bar after class and get smashed" phenomenon myself, and cannot for the life of me understand it.

After a handgun or carbine class, I want to go back to my hotel, shower, grab a bite and go to sleep.

Keep in your mind you showed up & paid a lot of money to have someone show you something that they do better than you do; rather than paying them to show them how you do it.

And don't get hammered the night before. It makes for a difficult time showing up early...

DocGKR
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Be professional:

Show up with a weapon that is properly zero'ed and fully function checked, including adequately lubed. Have a similar back-up weapon that is also ready to go.

Ensure that all of your equipment is in working order and that you know how to use it (ex. Don't bring a brand new holster that you have not practiced with; don't wear a new chest rig that you have never used in various shooting positions so you didn't realize you couldn't go prone and still see your sights).

Bring plenty of magazines and more than sufficient amounts of GOOD QUALITY ammunition.

Be in GOOD physical shape so you don't slow down the class or pose a danger to yourself or others.

Shut-up and LISTEN to the instructor; ask pertinent questions at appropriate times.

YVK
03-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Actual growth doesn't happen during classes, it happens when you put in your own practice time in-between your classes. The two most important class contents are a) new [to learner] techniques, tactics and procedures and b) new practice tools/drills than can be incorporated in self-guided training after the class. I make a specific distinction between drills that are directed on skill assessment vs. drills directed towards skill growth.
With this convoluted prologue in mind, to me "getting most out of a class" means "getting most tools and drills that I will use in my practice to help me get better". This requires an active, ongoing analysis of drills offered by instructor, with emphasis not on "what we're shooting" but "why we're shooting it and how it helps me improve". If I am not picking up new training drills during a class, I am either not truly mentally involved, or I chose a wrong class for my needs, or class is bad. Wrong/bad classes should be excluded on pre-class stage; constructive mental involvement is on you.

vcdgrips
03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
A bit late to the party. In addition to the excellent points already made-

make it a point to be well nourished, hydrated and rested a few days before and during the class. Having quality eats/drinks (Nuts, fruits, protein bars, yougurt, payday candy bars, water, sports drink etc) in a cooler range side makes this much easier.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
RE: Well nourished.

For me, I usually put any diet or reduction of caloric intake on hold when I am attending a class.

I try to make sure it's healthy calories, but I want to be well fed while I'm learning.