PDA

View Full Version : Your word

iakdrago
03-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I can't stress the importance of one's credibility/integrity/value of one's word. That is something that most of us know/have known most of our lives (i hope).

The recent Florida case greatly demonstrates how it applies to self defense. Hopefully none of us will ever be in a position to employ our weapons to defend ourselves or others. If that does happen, you hope that a) you or your loved ones don't get hurt b) you have witnesses. If there are no witnesses, you better hope that the dead body in front of you has a long criminal record with a couple of entries for violent crime. That there was in fact a weapon, and not just a finger in the pocket. Otherwise all that you have to defend yourself is the value of your word.

Lomshek
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Having a solid reputation never hurts but as we've seen in so many "My baby didn't do nuthin" scenarios even a scumbag will have plenty of folks that swear they were on their way to Sunday School when you gunned them down.

One had better hope the evidence 100% backs up your story. Investigations don't put much faith on anyone's word.

ErnieB
03-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Though I'm new to this forum I thought this thread might be a good place for a first post. The media slant and public outcry against the shooter in the referenced incident disgusts me. Immediately, racism has entered the fray rather than letting the facts come to light and judgement fall to the letter of the law. Honesty and integrity seems to have become something that is exploited by those that see it as opportunity rather than a badge of moral and ethical character. Over the years, my group of "friends" has become a small tight knit band of brothers that all share a core understanding of what it means to support one another and be honest with each no matter how much it may hurt to do so. I can take their word to be the truth and for this I am thankful. At the risk of sounding like my grandfather, the moral decay of our society pains me as I watch those who succeed through dishonesty and exploitation of their peers go merrily about their way. However, I often find that this community, military LE and those that depend on others to cover their six, understand most deeply the value of honor integrity and what it means to be trusted based on your word. This forum is a great place with great people who share a common interest in the continual hunt for betterment through skill at arms. Can't wait to read on and learn more.