PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Ballistic Testing protocol and results.

Baldanders
06-02-2019, 08:03 PM
The protocol: 4 1 gallon milk jugs placed label side facing the shooter filled with water, placed as tightly together as possible, with a big water-filled kitty litter jug as backstop at the end of the stack, shot from about a yard away.

Results:

.32 ACP PPU 71 grain JHP--I fired 7 rounds from my p32, shifting poa after each shot so it would hit water. 6 rounds sailed through all 4 jugs. The 7th round stopped in the 4th bottle with very minor nose deformation. I forgot the kitty litter jug on this one.

.38 Special from my 2" 640
--.Hornady Critical Defense 110gr +p = stopped by 2nd jug, jacket mostly separated

--Speer Gold Dot 125gr +p = went through 3 jugs, bounced off 4th

9mm

--147 Ranger-T from a 4" px4= stopped in 3rd jug

--115 Critical Defense from a 4" Springfield = identical results to the .38 version above

.357 from 2" 640

135 gr. Critical Defense = stopped in 4th jug

.45ACP from a Kahr CW45

--230 gr Gold Dot=stopped in kitty litter jug

--230 gr PMC Starfire =stopped in kitty litter jug

Everything expanded great, aside from the .32 PPU and the .45 Starfire (posted pics awhile back)

Once I get a battery for my calipers again, I'll post some pics and expansion numbers.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean jack compared to gel. More loads to follow.

lyodbraun
06-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Yeah I had same results with that starfire round as well lol junk, nice testing .

SAWBONES
06-03-2019, 06:55 PM
So the .45 Auto rounds penetrated better than the or 9mm, .38 Special or .357 Magnum, and at least one of those deepest-penetrating .45 Auto rounds even expanded?!

That's not how these tests are supposed to turn out.
The best 9mm load is supposed to equal or out-perform the best .45 Auto load nowadays. :p

Baldanders
06-03-2019, 08:52 PM
So the .45 Auto rounds penetrated better than the or 9mm, .38 Special or .357 Magnum, and at least one of those deepest-penetrating .45 Auto rounds even expanded?!

That's not how these tests are supposed to turn out.
The best 9mm load is supposed to equal or out-perform the best .45 Auto load nowadays. :p

Out of a short barrel, and 230 grains too! Of course, .45 also had the only expansion failure from a "premium" round. But maybe Starfire just does suck. I don't think they ever got LE contracts for it.

I found yesterday's test with the .38 Gold Dots the most surprising, actually. Petals- folded back expansion and it equalled/beat (barely-- cracked the forth jug) 9mm 147 Ranger-T in penetration--also "blew up" first jug, not as impressively as 9mm+p /.357 /.45ACP, but way more impressive than the 110 grain Critical Defense.

I think I have some 129 grain +p Hydrashock sitting around, that should be an interesting comparison. But when I have enough jugs saved, I think I will try the 125 GD .38+p through my 4" Trooper next.

Baldanders
06-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Yeah I had same results with that starfire round as well lol junk, nice testing .

What did you shoot with it, and what vintage were you using?

My box was a 2000- ish purchase.

lyodbraun
06-03-2019, 09:15 PM
What did you shoot with it, and what vintage were you using?

My box was a 2000- ish purchase.

It was with a glock 30 and it was prob something like 2010 or so IIRC .. ended up just using that for target ammo ..

Baldanders
08-19-2019, 06:41 PM
More useless/dubious "data.."

All from a 2" 640 pro:

Remington 125 grain .38 +p SJHP= good expansion, stopped in 3rd jug, some jacket loss

Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel .38+p= good expansion, comparable to the 125 grain Gold Dot, stopped in 4th jug.

Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel .357=explosive expansion, jacketing shredded, remaining core almost looks like it has a hydrashok post, stopped in 4th jug.

I have 135 grain .38s as my new 640 carry/home load. When/if I work out the rest of my current flinch, I may switch to the .357 short barrel. The .38 short barrel seems a bit lighter on recoil than the Remington 125 grain load. The .357 Short barrel isn't bad at all for .357, but the increased flip had me grouping a few inches lower than my poa at 7 yards, so I will stick to the dead-on .38 version for now.

Sorry, still haven't got a chrony, still haven't got a battery for my calipers, and I still have no photos-- but I have saved all the bullets and I will get photos up soonish.

Definitely need a scale too.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Sorry still no photos but a few more loads from my 640 pro 2".

129 grain Hydrashok .38+p: 3 jugs, almost exited the third jug, moderate expansion

158 grain XTP .357 Fiocchi "Extrema": went through 3 kitty litter jugs and stopped in a fourth, cracked the first jug in 4 places, will re-test in milk jugs, moderate expansion with petals bent back--milder recoil than .38 Special Wolf 130 grain FMJ

158 grain standard pressure .38 PPU LSWHP: stopped in the second kitty litter jug, no expansion but hollow base is deformed

I think this shows how things that won't expand in gel will often expand in water. The Hydrashok seems to never expand in gel and I doubt the .357 Fiocchi would do much in gel either-- it feels like a .38+p.

Borderland
11-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Sorry still no photos but a few more loads from my 640 pro 2".

129 grain Hydrashok .38+p: 3 jugs, almost exited the third jug, moderate expansion

158 grain XTP .357 Fiocchi "Extrema": went through 3 kitty litter jugs and stopped in a fourth, cracked the first jug in 4 places, will re-test in milk jugs, moderate expansion with petals bent back--milder recoil than .38 Special Wolf 130 grain FMJ

158 grain standard pressure .38 PPU LSWHP: stopped in the second kitty litter jug, no expansion but hollow base is deformed

I think this shows how things that won't expand in gel will often expand in water. The Hydrashok seems to never expand in gel and I doubt the .357 Fiocchi would do much in gel either-- it feels like a .38+p.

I'm seeing a new YT channel coming soon. Wazzup PFer's.:cool:

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 07:44 PM
If I wasn't a schoolteacher, I'd think about it. Maybe without my face on screen?

KellyinAvon
11-17-2019, 09:29 PM
I saw the thread title and wondered if there would be any "ricochet the bullet off an armadillo and hit my mother in-law" testing.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 09:41 PM
I saw the thread title and wondered if there would be any "ricochet the bullet off an armadillo and hit my mother in-law" testing.

That would be a really interesting "protocol" if someone could figure out a way to make it repeatable. 😁

Guess that would involve body armor at a minimum.

KellyinAvon
11-17-2019, 09:48 PM
That would be a really interesting "protocol" if someone could figure out a way to make it repeatable. 😁

Guess that would involve body armor at a minimum.

How will you get the bullet to ricochet consistently off the armadillo if it's wearing body armor?