PDA

View Full Version : Dude making open carriers look bad

TR675
06-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Which is really saying something. One of my buds has seen him out and about twice in two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shokl8
06-02-2019, 07:08 PM
All I can say is wow

TR675
06-02-2019, 07:13 PM
From my my other friend: “really the most shocking thing is he’s not wearing boots.”

blues
06-02-2019, 07:14 PM
https://tiffsfannypack.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/walmart_lowclass.png

11B10
06-02-2019, 07:26 PM
OK, I'll start....with the multiple guns "tucked" into a pistol belt (?) that's not even through the belt loops on his jeans. Then, there's the small of the back carry position for what is probably the fattest of his three (maybe more - we can't see the front) blasters. Guess he's trying to insure a serious back injury if he's knocked on his butt. Sorry, I can't go on trying to be funny. This is not humorous...at all. Just exactly who does he think he's helping? He's not even helping himself while setting himself up for a very bad ending.

LittleLebowski
06-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Therapy dog?

blues
06-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Therapy dog?

Looks like the dog has a "WTF?" expression.

Shokl8
06-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Looks like the dog has a "WTF?" expression.

He's saying " here we go again" lol

Kyle Reese
06-02-2019, 07:36 PM
They’re hard to identify, but I’ll wager that his pair of hip holsters are SERPAs, and empty chamber carry is the order of the day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

camsdaddy
06-02-2019, 07:48 PM
https://tiffsfannypack.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/walmart_lowclass.png

Looking at the buggy this is target.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

A picture guy is on Facebook and meme reads "hey save some 2a for the rest of us". I'm sure he is a really nice guy.

Shoresy
06-02-2019, 07:49 PM
They’re hard to identify, but I’ll wager that his pair of hip holsters are SERPAs, and empty chamber carry is the order of the day....

I'd give it even odds between that and 1911 with safety off, because "this is mah safety".

blues
06-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Looking at the buggy thus is a target.

Obviously, a much higher class operation.

camsdaddy
06-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Obviously, a much higher class operation.

blues
06-02-2019, 08:02 PM
^^^^All gussied up with conchos and everything...plus his bag of...

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com//images/products/is/images/direct/86861d03630917872188fad2d313a0d8eae70c7c/Extenze-Male-Sexual-Enhancement-and-Penis-Enlargement-Supplements.jpg

He must be expecting a busy weekend! :rolleyes:

revchuck38
06-03-2019, 06:38 AM

You just had to say that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNgt8jh9io&list=RDXbNgt8jh9io&start_radio=1

Joe in PNG
06-03-2019, 06:47 AM
I think of him as "free gun" guy. Any criminal so minded could just grab the one in back, and get the rest he may have pretty easily.

archangel
06-03-2019, 07:57 AM
From my my other friend: “really the most shocking thing is he’s not wearing boots.”

Boots make it harder to get to the guns in his ankle holsters.

Zincwarrior
06-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Which is really saying something. One of my buds has seen him out and about twice in two days.

I saw this somewhere else and thought it was fake. I guess not.

NH Shooter
06-03-2019, 08:39 AM
At least in the first photo he's wearing a bright orange shirt to draw your eyes away from what's on the belt...

JHC
06-03-2019, 08:59 AM
I saw a meme go viral on FB a few days ago with the picture of him Camsdaddy just posted above.

The caption read: "Whoa there Hoss. Save some 2nd Amendment for the rest of us."

Darth_Uno
06-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Dog's like, "Crap, a camera. I'm not with him."

NH Shooter
06-03-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what's holding his pants up.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-03-2019, 10:15 AM
I've seen about four OC types in San Antonio. All look like fools.

Joe in PNG
06-03-2019, 02:04 PM
I've seen about four OC types in San Antonio. All look like fools.

Seriously. Where's the engraved Colt SAA with ivory stocks in a nice, hand tooled leather holster? Where's the nicely worn Model 27's in custom leather OWBs?

Why is is always some fat dude who things that Uncle Mike's is a sign of being way too posh?

Stephanie B
06-03-2019, 02:31 PM
I'm contesting the premise of this thread: He's making open-carriers look worse.

In my office building, a guy showed up once or twice a week with a black semi in a POS Uncle Mike's holster. He had it at about 4 o'clock on his belt.

Lester Polfus
06-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Therapy dog?

LittleLebowski
06-03-2019, 05:37 PM
I'm contesting the premise of this thread: He's making open-carriers look worse.

In my office building, a guy showed up once or twice a week with a black semi in a POS Uncle Mike's holster. He had it at about 4 o'clock on his belt.

In CT?

Stephanie B
06-03-2019, 05:40 PM
In CT?

No, in MO.

CT is a "permit carry" state. One can open-carry, but it seemingly is just not done.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2019, 05:48 PM
No, in MO.

CT is a "permit carry" state. One can open-carry, but it seemingly is just not done.

That makes sense, I just couldn’t picture it in CT.

Hambo
06-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Maybe he'll learn when he gets shot or pistol whipped with that sixgun hanging out of his ass crack.

wvincent
06-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Maybe he'll learn when he gets shot or pistol whipped with that sixgun hanging out of his ass crack.

Naah, I'm thinking nothing short of a JDAM would be able to give that fella any learnin.

Joe in PNG
06-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Someone on FB actually tried to defend this clown.

Tamara
06-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Why is is always some fat dude who things that Uncle Mike's is a sign of being way too posh?

Open Carry mindset and meme-tier garbage go together like vodka and orange juice.

Greg
06-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Open Carry mindset and meme-tier garbage go together like vodka and orange juice.

Or XDs and Mullets.

Hieronymous
06-03-2019, 07:38 PM
This guy is changing a lot of minds, I’m sure; just not for the better. I imagine he has a full complement of understated gun related stickers on his vehicles as well. His home likely has the “this property is protected by smith and wesson” sign.

Stephanie B
06-03-2019, 07:38 PM

I doubt it that anyone, other than a criminal court judge, can tell Three-Gun Tex anything.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Like Tam says: “Carrying at people.”

Alpha Sierra
06-03-2019, 07:51 PM
This guy is changing a lot of minds, I’m sure; just not for the better. I imagine he has a full complement of understated gun related stickers on his vehicles as well. His home likely has the “this property is protected by smith and wesson” sign.

https://cheapyardsigns.com/cvimages/nw-0121.jpg

olstyn
06-03-2019, 07:52 PM

There are a few exceptions, but typically, Target corporate policy forbids product on wooden pallets out on the sales floor, plus that place looks messier than any Target I've ever been in, and Target's carts, while red, always have a Target logo on them (https://www.google.com/search?q=target+carts&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-ab&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD3fSizc7iAhUSQq0KHTaRDIkQsAR6BAgCEAE), which that one *appears* not to. The holes in Target's carts are typically diamonds or circles, as well, where the cart in the pic has hexagonal holes.

None of that changes the fact that the main subject of the pic is exhibiting strong signs of a lack of intelligence, of course.

OlongJohnson
06-03-2019, 07:59 PM

Logo looks to me like

camsdaddy
06-03-2019, 08:37 PM
There are a few exceptions, but typically, Target corporate policy forbids product on wooden pallets out on the sales floor, plus that place looks messier than any Target I've ever been in, and Target's carts, while red, always have a Target logo on them (https://www.google.com/search?q=target+carts&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-ab&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD3fSizc7iAhUSQq0KHTaRDIkQsAR6BAgCEAE), which that one *appears* not to. The holes in Target's carts are typically diamonds or circles, as well, where the cart in the pic has hexagonal holes.

None of that changes the fact that the main subject of the pic is exhibiting strong signs of a lack of intelligence, of course.

Logo looks to me like

Definitely Tractor supply. Looked like target with a quick view from my phone.

nalesq
06-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Since embarrassing examples of open carry seem to be the norm (they are in my experience as well), allow me to share a less horrific example.

Below is a pic I snapped while having brunch in a trendy diner in a nice part of Charlotte, NC, the other day. It is the first young millennial open carrier I have ever personally witnessed. He was neatly attired, in a semi-hipster sort of way, complete with a carefully disheveled man-bun and aviator sunglasses. Even more remarkably, his companions, including several females, looked completely normal.

Though he was carrying a full-sized XD in a Serpa, which is hopelessly déclassé for most of us, at least the Serpa has some retention, and it isn’t just a generic nylon sack.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/fe0ee606c188d12093d253b130acd7d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nalesq
06-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Oops, double post

VT1032
06-03-2019, 09:23 PM
The fact that an XD in a serpa represents the "high end" open carrier really says all you need to say about the open carry crowd. Every time I see some fucking basement dwelling neckbeard waddling around a Chinese buffet with a taurus judge in a sausage sack, I cringe inwardly. I really want to be like, "dude, you're the reason we can't have nice things..." but, I know nothing good will come of that conversation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
06-03-2019, 09:36 PM
FWIW, I've only seen a handful in the Houston area, and they all seemed like reasonably together people. But I don't get into the city much.

Lester Polfus
06-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Typically, I try to buy used guns. I've never considered before that one might have been subjected to Ass Crack Carry (ACC).

I usually carry some blue nitrile gloves with me. I supposed I could use those to handle used specimens at the LGS until they are properly disinfected.

If I stay away from Tauri and XDs, the odds are probably lower, but still....

wvincent
06-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Typically, I try to buy used guns. I've never considered before that one might have been subjected to Ass Crack Carry (ACC).

I usually carry some blue nitrile gloves with me. I supposed I could use those to handle used specimens at the LGS until they are properly disinfected.

And that Charterarms "Boomer". With no front sight, no telling where it's been:p

Hambo
06-04-2019, 06:31 AM

For the most part, I think I'm safe. Vintage S&W revolvers, vintage/custom 1911s, WC or LTT Berettas, and outright antiques like Bolo Mausers rarely see any ass crack time. I think my main risk is SA revolvers. There might be some Jethro out there with a Vaquero of Blackhawk ACC. :eek:

Zincwarrior
06-04-2019, 08:51 AM
The fact that an XD in a serpa represents the "high end" open carrier really says all you need to say about the open carry crowd. Every time I see some fucking basement dwelling neckbeard waddling around a Chinese buffet with a taurus judge in a sausage sack, I cringe inwardly. I really want to be like, "dude, you're the reason we can't have nice things..." but, I know nothing good will come of that conversation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Is thata common sight? In Austin (formerly Houston) I have only laid eyes on one open carry person.

Given that, when growing up, you were always liable to see kids walking down the road with .22s or ranchers with hoglegs, plus the ubiquitous truck rifle rack, this is almost disappointing.

Having said that, why wouldn't one invest in an actual level one retention holster? Even if just the old style thumb snap type? I have two and I don't even open carry, but for when I used to go hiking.

nalesq
06-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Is thata common sight? In Austin (formerly Houston) I have only laid eyes on one open carry person.

Given that, when growing up, you were always liable to see kids walking down the road with .22s or ranchers with hoglegs, plus the ubiquitous truck rifle rack, this is almost disappointing.

Having said that, why wouldn't one invest in an actual level one retention holster? Even if just the old style thumb snap type? I have two and I don't even open carry, but for when I used to go hiking.

Sadly, this is the more common sight. I just snapped this one literally less than 5 minutes ago while buying a soda at a gas station - looked like a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grips in an open top Fobus:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/7de719031fd6ca64c3ea210d0542035a.jpg

Stephanie B
06-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Sadly, this is the more common sight. I just snapped this one literally less than 5 minutes ago while buying a soda at a gas station - looked like a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grips in an open top Fobus:

If you're going to open frigging carry, a J-frame would seem to me to be about a low-wattage a choice as there is.

Robinson
06-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Since I moved to Georgia eleven years ago I've seen exactly three open carriers. In each case, it did not seem to me that these individuals being armed would prevent their being beaten silly by even an average hoodlum before they would be able to put their gun into action. They each displayed a complete lack of awareness, two of the three were overweight, one was wearing flip flops, not to mention the poor tactical choice of open carrying in the first place.

wvincent
06-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Since I moved to Georgia eleven years ago I've seen exactly three open carriers. In each case, it did not seem to me that these individuals being armed would prevent their being beaten silly by even an average hoodlum before they would be able to put their gun into action. They each displayed a complete lack of awareness, two of the three were overweight, one was wearing flip flops, not to mention the poor tactical choice of open carrying in the first place.

C'mon man, it's all about educating the sheeple.:rolleyes:

Mystery
06-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Maybe it's Texas thing.
I'm in Denver suburb where open carry is legal (illegal inside Denver city limits) for a decade and still haven't seen a single open carry anywhere except in gun stores.
Seen some during hiking but very rare.
Colorado has around 35% gun ownership so looks like most don't show off.

HCountyGuy
06-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Only three in 11 years? You some kind of recluse? I’ve seen close to 50 I reckon, more so here east of Atlanta than I saw living in Columbus.

While out with my wife at Peachtree Mall in Columbus years back, I saw an older gentleman in overalls with a revolver just shoved in his rear right pocket. I took a picture and wish I still had it.

nalesq
06-04-2019, 01:25 PM
If you're going to open frigging carry, a J-frame would seem to me to be about a low-wattage a choice as there is.

Curiously, I’ve actually seen a lot of bikers (after buying some lottery tickets and smokes, this dude, who was the spitting image of Waingro, rode away on some kind of giant motorcycle) open carry disproportionately small guns.

nalesq
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
While out with my wife at Peachtree Mall in Columbus years back, I saw an older gentleman in overalls with a revolver just shoved in his rear right pocket. I took a picture and wish I still had it.

Yep. Last summer at a fro-yo place I saw a dude pocket carrying a full-sized S&W 3rd gen auto in cargo shorts. Poorly. At least it’s a DA pistol, though, assuming a round was in the chamber.

Robinson
06-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Only three in 11 years? You some kind of recluse? I’ve seen close to 50 I reckon, more so here east of Atlanta than I saw living in Columbus.

We live in a blue county, probably not as many people packing here as in some locales. That will be changing soon, we are moving. :)

BillSWPA
06-04-2019, 04:09 PM
At least the dude was not open carrying a long gun, which seemed to be the preferred way for open carriers to make us all look bad a few years ago.

SAWBONES
06-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Dude making open carriers look bad

Unless you're at a dude ranch, a cowboy action shoot or in the woods hunting, then "open carrying", especially in urban areas populated mostly by the gun non-cognoscenti, almost always looks out of place, IMNSHO.

I don't want anyone to know I'm armed, ever, for any reason, unless and until a genuine urgency (and one genuinely requiring a firearm response specifically from me) should occur.

I don't want anyone to "notice" me.
I don't feel a need to "proclaim my Second Amendment rights" by displaying a gun on my person.

I frankly consider those who "open carry" in public among people whom they have no reason to expect to be "gun-savvy", to be either attention-seeking exhibitionists or emotionally-immature "gun-hobbyists".

And yes, I'm an old curmudgeon. :rolleyes:

willie
06-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Maybe pistols are like private parts—they belong in your pants, at least in public.

blues
06-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Maybe pistols are like private parts—they belong in your pants, at least in public.

And they only come out in public because "you had to go".

Stephanie B
06-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Sat that I can't hit "like this post" more than once.

Stephanie B
06-04-2019, 08:42 PM
I frankly consider those who "open carry" in public among people whom they have no reason to expect to be "gun-savvy", to be either attention-seeking exhibitionists or emotionally-immature "gun-hobbyists".
I'll go with shortening that description to "assholes."

Gadfly
06-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I have only seen one or two in Houston... I expected more visible derp. But the ones I have seen were soooooooo meme worthy.

Guy at the gun store counter, 300 lbs, beard with no mustache (like and Amish/Mennonite look). Denim bib overalls, belt around the big overalls (no belt loops). And the holster was a surplus flap holster, that swiveled and was drop leg... the finest Cheaper than Dirt had to offer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190605/5241f893fbc060c2452fb71f2d98ab7e.jpg

He had the heal mag release p6 (225). Best of all, he freely shared his wisdom with all around. Unsolicited. Stoppin’ power, RIP ammo, and other topics were expounded upon in detail. Good times.

0ddl0t
06-04-2019, 09:20 PM
"open carrying", especially in urban areas populated mostly by the gun non-cognoscenti, almost always looks out of place, IMNSHO.

Which is why it should be done from time to time. If every lawful gun owner stays in the closet, the only firearm encounters the gun non-cognoscenti have are with cops & criminals (making their mental calculus easy: more guns for cops, less guns for criminals & everyone else).

BehindBlueI's
06-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Like lawyers and road cyclists, it's the 98% that ruin for the other 2%...

revchuck38
06-05-2019, 06:39 AM
<thread drift>

He had the heal mag release p6 (225).

Pretty sure all P6s had a button mag release, but I've been wrong before. Maybe an early P220?

</thread drift>

SAWBONES
06-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Which is why it ["open carry"] should be done from time to time. If every lawful gun owner stays in the closet, the only firearm encounters the gun non-cognoscenti have are with cops & criminals (making their mental calculus easy: more guns for cops, less guns for criminals & everyone else).

But if such gun non-cognoscenti are shocked or frightened by the sight of a non-cop with a gun, I don't think it will help promote your concept of inuring them to the idea of gun carry by "common citizens".

Outwardly displaying guns on our persons on a regular or daily basis as a sort of political statement is probably counter-productive. Those who are well-familiar with guns usually think the open carriers are jerks, and the gun-shy are made anxious; where's the benefit in that?

A more effective and fundamental approach than mere "gun display" is definitely necessary.
Educational op-ed pieces, exhibition of examples of lawful gun use for defense of self and family, personal reasoned discussion where possible, all can help, but non-interactive "sidearm display" in a society where such is no longer the norm probably does more to put people off than it does to benefit "our side".

HCountyGuy
06-05-2019, 11:44 AM
But if such gun non-cognoscenti are shocked or frightened by the sight of a non-cop with a gun, I don't think it will help promote your concept of inuring them to the idea of gun carry by "common citizens".

Outwardly displaying guns on our persons on a regular or daily basis as a sort of political statement is probably counter-productive. Those who are well-familiar with guns usually think the open carriers are jerks, and the gun-shy are made anxious; where's the benefit in that?

A more effective and fundamental approach than mere "gun display" is definitely necessary.
Educational op-ed pieces, exhibition of examples of lawful gun use for defense of self and family, personal reasoned discussion where possible, all can help, but non-interactive "sidearm display" in a society where such is no longer the norm probably does more to put people off than it does to benefit "our side".

The question we’ve been chasing for some time though is how do we obtain better positive exposure of firearms? That’s a relatively tall order these days, given how they’re viewed as taboo and many people don’t think of them til one’s used to victimize them or the next whack job goes for high score on a shooting spree.

I’ve advocated some for open carry here in the past, and used to partake in it myself. It had moments it was beneficial because you’d be approached by folks who had an interest but didn’t know they’re allowed to carry a gun around in public (at least you can here in Georgia, void where prohibited).

It’s not ideal, but it does work to an extent to show not every non-cop/mil carrying a gun in public does so with nefarious intent.

Zincwarrior
06-05-2019, 01:00 PM
The question we’ve been chasing for some time though is how do we obtain better positive exposure of firearms? That’s a relatively tall order these days, given how they’re viewed as taboo and many people don’t think of them til one’s used to victimize them or the next whack job goes for high score on a shooting spree.

I’ve advocated some for open carry here in the past, and used to partake in it myself. It had moments it was beneficial because you’d be approached by folks who had an interest but didn’t know they’re allowed to carry a gun around in public (at least you can here in Georgia, void where prohibited).

It’s not ideal, but it does work to an extent to show not every non-cop/mil carrying a gun in public does so with nefarious intent.

Inversely, in an urban environment, it has a high chance of making gun owners look absolutely stupid. Fat Man and Snow Boots were the textbook example of that.

If you want to get more people to look favorably, get them involved. Invite them to a shoot.

HCountyGuy
06-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Inversely, in an urban environment, it has a high chance of making gun owners look absolutely stupid. Fat Man and Snow Boots were the textbook example of that.

If you want to get more people to look favorably, get them involved. Invite them to a shoot.

I’d say it depends upon how one presents themself.

Ole Bubba in his Realtree camo toting a Taurus Judge in a nylon sack definitely screams backwoods low-IQ hick. Dressing in even business casual attire with a respectable holster and looking like a well-functioning member of society can be more beneficial to the cause. Of course, the latter is a rarity.

The inviting folks out can be a bit of a challenge, because the topic of guns can be extremely taboo depending upon one’s locale or work and social circles. Mention owning firearms in the wrong company and you’re viewed as an abhorrent monster. It’s not received in the same way as other more socially acceptable interests (cars, fine adult beverages, etc).

0ddl0t
06-05-2019, 01:30 PM

The first time I saw a gay pride parade was shocking. The 2nd and 3rd time too. But eventually what seemed shocking is normalized and you realize "it isn't for me, but there are a lot of people that feel strongly about it and they aren't hurting anyone."

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in. When you believe that constitutes the entirety of a population, it is easy to write it off and support restrictive legislation - something you are much less likely to do if you realize the numbers are much larger and the percentage of bad actors is miniscule.

Zincwarrior
06-05-2019, 01:31 PM
I’d say it depends upon how one presents themself.

Ole Bubba in his Realtree camo toting a Taurus Judge in a nylon sack definitely screams backwoods low-IQ hick. Dressing in even business casual attire with a respectable holster and looking like a well-functioning member of society can be more beneficial to the cause. Of course, the latter is a rarity.

The inviting folks out can be a bit of a challenge, because the topic of guns can be extremely taboo depending upon one’s locale or work and social circles. Mention owning firearms in the wrong company and you’re viewed as an abhorrent monster. It’s not received in the same way as other more socially acceptable interests (cars, fine adult beverages, etc).

If you dress well, people will just think of you as a plain clothes LEO.

TGS
06-05-2019, 02:02 PM
The first time I saw a gay pride parade was shocking. The 2nd and 3rd time too. But eventually what seemed shocking is normalized and you realize "it isn't for me, but there are a lot of people that feel strongly about it and they aren't hurting anyone."

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in. When you believe that constitutes the entirety of a population, it is easy to write it off and support restrictive legislation - something you are much less likely to do if you realize the numbers are much larger and the percentage of bad actors is miniscule.

So what you're saying is that the OC crowd is their own worst enemy then?

Because the OC crowd seems intent on only ever making a bad impression.

0ddl0t
06-05-2019, 02:18 PM

The fat guy in flip flops with a Taurus Judge in a nylon holster may be the OC version of the pride marcher in assless chaps, but they both do more good than the "respectable" curmudgeons sitting on the sidelines wanting everyone to stay closeted to not risk drawing the ire of the ignorant masses.

HCountyGuy
06-05-2019, 02:19 PM
If you dress well, people will just think of you as a plain clothes LEO.

Fair point.

The point to me was the folks may get their undies in a wad the first time or two, but after that it’s a non-event.

I think your statement was needlessly snide. Yes the vast majority of OCers, the ones who make the rounds in topics such as these, are undoubtedly attention whores trying to stir the locals by carrying at them. However, there are those who do it for convenience, laziness or because it’s the only way they can legally carry without buying back their rights via CC permit. They’re not all out to be assholes.

ETA: I don’t care much about the person with a crap pistol on their hip, it’s the attention-thirsty nimrod carrying an SKS into the local store I’m weary of.

Zincwarrior
06-05-2019, 02:45 PM
The fat guy in flip flops with a Taurus Judge in a nylon holster may be the OC version of the pride marcher in assless chaps, but they both do more good than the "respectable" curmudgeons sitting on the sidelines wanting everyone to stay closeted to not risk drawing the ire of the ignorant masses.
And what on earth do you base that on? IN Texas when the OC protesters started doing their schtick strong movement popped up to ban long gun OC, and pushed back OC legislation for years.

0ddl0t
06-05-2019, 03:08 PM
And what on earth do you base that on? IN Texas when the OC protesters started doing their schtick strong movement popped up to ban long gun OC, and pushed back OC legislation for years.

The gay pride movement had backlash & reversals too (things like laws banning gay teachers). But while individual waves may have rolled out, the tide kept coming in...

Zincwarrior
06-05-2019, 03:31 PM
The gay pride movement had backlash & reversals too (things like laws banning gay teachers). But while individual waves may have rolled out, the tide kept coming in...

I think you dramatically overestimate the number of people OCing.

BillSWPA
06-05-2019, 09:38 PM

That was despite these tactics, not because of them. It was because others took a much more intelligent approach.

Yung
06-05-2019, 10:34 PM
As I grew up I saw less folks carrying in Scottsdale and more folks carrying in the Mesa-Chandler area.

I wonder how Dean Weingarten's travels have been since he first started doing his thing.

richiecotite
06-05-2019, 11:04 PM

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in.

If you saw a dude in assless chaps walking around Walmart, that’d be shocking. Period. A pride parade is a festival/celebration for a particular group. Kind of like how most people here wouldn’t think too much about OC at a range, or a gun show. Time and place for everything.

Also, pedophilia and homosexuality are 2 separate things.

0ddl0t
06-05-2019, 11:14 PM
Also, pedophilia and homosexuality are 2 separate things.

Obviously. And so are criminal shooters vs lawful gun owners. When the later stay in the closet, the former get all the attention creating a skewed representativeness heuristic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representativeness_heuristic).

Glenn E. Meyer
06-05-2019, 11:17 PM
The country evolved, for the most part, in its views about discriminating against race, religion and sexuality. They learned or were socialized to realize that fearful and prejudicial mythology was just that. Thus, we have move towards not discriminating against folks on these grounds. Unfortunately, we still have strong pockets of bigotry that spout the mythology.

Gun owners haven't made the case for being discriminated against in the same fashion and being persecuted. Thus, the basic sympathetic impulse in the population is not evoked. As I have said, the current RKBA messaging is not likely to evoke such sympathy. I agree that positive gun stories are far and few between but you do see successful SD stories on our local news and sometimes on the national. However, unless the NRA gets its act together to drop the money raising / right wing connection - getting sympathy from half the electorate is a lost cause. Said that many, many times.

Zincwarrior
06-06-2019, 07:35 AM
The country evolved, for the most part, in its views about discriminating against race, religion and sexuality. They learned or were socialized to realize that fearful and prejudicial mythology was just that. Thus, we have move towards not discriminating against folks on these grounds. Unfortunately, we still have strong pockets of bigotry that spout the mythology.

Gun owners haven't made the case for being discriminated against in the same fashion and being persecuted. Thus, the basic sympathetic impulse in the population is not evoked. As I have said, the current RKBA messaging is not likely to evoke such sympathy. I agree that positive gun stories are far and few between but you do see successful SD stories on our local news and sometimes on the national. However, unless the NRA gets its act together to drop the money raising / right wing connection - getting sympathy from half the electorate is a lost cause. Said that many, many times.

Agree completely on that.

HCountyGuy
06-06-2019, 08:28 AM

The recent case of the New Yorker getting charged for unlicensed/unregistered possession after killing two burglars in his home should be far more of a rallying cry for gun owners than it has been. I agree that the NRA, as well as other big gun groups, aren’t focusing their energies in the right places. You’d think a group dedicated to the 2A from a “fighting tyranny/corruption” perspective would do a better job of cleaning house in its own camp when the folks chosen to spearhead the organization are fucking up royally.

As for seeing cases of self-defense in the news the problem is that these stories, when they get any air time, are covered so minimally and rarely make it to national attention. But if a criminal or mass shooter does their misdeeds, that gets played on at least twice as much. We certainly need help in better highlighting incidents of responsibly armed citizens thwarting crimes against them, but the media only wants what’ll induce fear.

BillSWPA
06-06-2019, 09:06 AM

The NRA has always tried to be a single issue organization. They support right wing politicians because that is who supports our cause. I have yet to see a single politician left of center do so.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Old argument about lack of outreach. Sorry Josh, doesn't really happen. Past threads go over this debate endlessly.

I agree that in cases where the violation of rights outrage should be stronger, there have been crickets from the NRA as in the case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Philando_Castile

The NRA should have had that as a cover story as compared to the Stop the Social Wave drivel. The NRA tried to justify the shooting in a manner which was not logical.

In any case, if anyone thinks the current gun world organizational media strategy will engender broadening support for the RKBA, they are delusional - to be blunt.

HCountyGuy
07-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Because ‘Murica

Lester Polfus
07-01-2019, 11:23 AM
My first thought on seeing this is "If you are open carrying and not aware enough to realize somebody is taking your picture from a short distance, you are Wrong and need to Fix Yourself."

blues
07-01-2019, 11:26 AM
^^^^ Wal-Murica

Trooper224
07-01-2019, 11:50 AM
"Dude making open carriers look bad."

Is there a way to make them look good?

Crash41984
07-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Brings to mind some advice that my father always preached to me. Something about drawing fire...

Stephanie B
07-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Mall-cop camo, red t-shirt, jeans and white tennies-- the guy looks like a parody of a Third World militiaman.

Caballoflaco
07-01-2019, 12:33 PM
The red triangle is to draw your eye away from the gun. It like, makes the gun invisible.

Hieronymous
07-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Yikes. Hate to say it, but the SERPA (for all it's noted flaws) is the best part of that picture. At least there is a modicum of retention to prevent another shopper from grabbing that 25 plus round "yeet cannon". Imagine the conversation between this guy and the orange shirted guy from earlier in the thread. ;)

Joe in PNG
07-01-2019, 01:58 PM
"Dude making open carriers look bad."

Is there a way to make them look good?

Engraved Colt SAA .45LC with customs stag stocks in a nicely tooled leather holster?

Hambo
07-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Engraved Colt SAA .45LC with customs stag stocks in a nicely tooled leather holster?

Or 1911s in same.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-01-2019, 03:04 PM
About the cowboy hat and 1911s. Took a class from a touted somebody who came to teach with a shining, chrome 1911 with skull grips. Blew off the class an hour earlier. Didn't do what he said we would do and I had bought the special stuff for the class. Bah.

Was in Cabela's. I stop there when going back and forth from Austin. A TX Ranger came in and was browsing at the counter. Well, the good ol' boys started flock around him like teenagers to a naked Brittany Spears. One guy actually bent over and stuck his face with his nose about an inch from a chromed 1911.

Reminds me of a discussion on another forum, I'm involved with. In the endless discussion of what you as a civilian should do during an active shooter incident, it was pointed out that if you charge around with a gun out, you might take friendly fire from the law or other legal carriers. Guy said that he was ex-law and he wears a cowboy hat and has a beard midway down his chest. His truck gun is a lever action. He felt that was sufficient to identify him as a good guy to the law and others in the ongoing rampage. He was dissuaded of that but left in a hissy fit.

willie
07-02-2019, 03:18 PM
About the only safe place for a civilian to be holding a gun during an active shooter event would be in a toilet stall with the door closed. If the dork with the big hat, beard, and lever rifle gets shot by a cop at an active shooter event, nobody will give a damn. Nobody.

JAD
07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
About the cowboy hat and 1911s. Took a class from a touted somebody who came to teach with a shining, chrome 1911 with skull grips. Blew off the class an hour earlier. Didn't do what he said we would do and I had bought the special stuff for the class. Bah.

Was in Cabela's. I stop there when going back and forth from Austin. A TX Ranger came in and was browsing at the counter. Well, the good ol' boys started flock around him like teenagers to a naked Brittany Spears. One guy actually bent over and stuck his face with his nose about an inch from a chromed 1911.

Reminds me of a discussion on another forum, I'm involved with. In the endless discussion of what you as a civilian should do during an active shooter incident, it was pointed out that if you charge around with a gun out, you might take friendly fire from the law or other legal carriers. Guy said that he was ex-law and he wears a cowboy hat and has a beard midway down his chest. His truck gun is a lever action. He felt that was sufficient to identify him as a good guy to the law and others in the ongoing rampage. He was dissuaded of that but left in a hissy fit.

Man, you are consistently surrounded by retards.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-02-2019, 03:53 PM

That is a politically incorrect characterization of some of the special folks in the gun world. You should be ashamed of yourself. Vivid instances of some of the folks I've seen over decades of gun fun.

JAD
07-02-2019, 04:42 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Yes, it haints me.

Stephanie B
07-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Maybe he ought to see a doctor to have his Retard Magnet removed or deactivated.

BehindBlueI's
07-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Maybe he ought to see a doctor to have his Retard Magnet removed or deactivated.

You can't. It's like making something fool proof. Somebody takes it as a challenge and builds a better fool. I happen to know the neighborhood they test prototypes in.

Joe in PNG
07-03-2019, 05:40 AM
You can't. It's like making something fool proof. Somebody takes it as a challenge and builds a better fool. I happen to know the neighborhood they test prototypes in.

And then promptly sends them down to Florida for release.

john c
07-04-2019, 03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbe7o-Cu4Y8

Joe in PNG
07-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Openly carried guns are a lot like skimpy bathing suits. Just as one rarely sees an openly carried N framed S&W or custom 1911 or Python or other nice gat, one rarely sees someone in a revealing bathing suit that looks good in a revealing bathing.

It's solid People of Walmart in both cases.

Andy in NH
07-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Seen at the local auto parts store.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Saw a guy with a Glock in a good holster. Wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Turned around in line at the burger joint and there were handicuffs. The law! Same in the take out line in the French Bistro. Guy with a Glock in a good holster, two mags on the other side. Pants looked like the 'nice' tactical line. Turned around and saw his shirt - the law! Set of nicely dressed middle aged women doing lunch in an upscale lunch dive. All wearing Glocks. Well, there gold shields on all their belts.

Looks like a good holster is an indication of the law and also neatly dressed.

Zincwarrior
07-19-2019, 10:05 AM
I really like the magazine carrier / handcuff carrier combo the detectives have here. For some reason that just strikes me as a tiny bit of perfection.

camsdaddy
07-19-2019, 10:10 AM
Saw a guy with a Glock in a good holster. Wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Turned around in line at the burger joint and there were handicuffs. The law! Same in the take out line in the French Bistro. Guy with a Glock in a good holster, two mags on the other side. Pants looked like the 'nice' tactical line. Turned around and saw his shirt - the law! Set of nicely dressed middle aged women doing lunch in an upscale lunch dive. All wearing Glocks. Well, there gold shields on all their belts.

Looks like a good holster is an indication of the law and also neatly dressed.
I wonder if open carry with a crappy holster is sign of someone who doesn't know better. I would think law enforcement would carry in better holsters because they need retention, want to look professional, need a holster that will stand up to daily use and open carry is their only option. I think most who open carry in a cheap holster are new, don't know any better, think $20 is a lot for a nice holster. I think the longer you carry the more you realize nice gear makes a difference

Trooper224
07-19-2019, 12:07 PM
I wonder if open carry with a crappy holster is sign of someone who doesn't know better. I would think law enforcement would carry in better holsters because they need retention, want to look professional, need a holster that will stand up to daily use and open carry is their only option. I think most who open carry in a cheap holster are new, don't know any better, think $20 is a lot for a nice holster. I think the longer you carry the more you realize nice gear makes a difference

At my new job, I watch LEOs of all stripes secure their weapons as they enter the courthouse. Consequently,, I observed many carry rigs every day.

You're wrong.

BehindBlueI's
07-19-2019, 01:03 PM
At my new job, I watch LEOs of all stripes secure their weapons as they enter the courthouse. Consequently,, I observed many carry rigs every day.

You're wrong.

The only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops. I saw a lot of cheap thermo- plastic and Serpa stuff on plain clothes guys.

Cypher
07-19-2019, 04:16 PM
I wonder if open carry with a crappy holster is sign of someone who doesn't know better.

How could it be anything else?

mtnbkr
07-19-2019, 04:19 PM
How could it be anything else?

There are those who have been shown the way, but just DGAF.

Chris

Greg
07-19-2019, 06:05 PM
www.peopleofwalmart.com

This gem of a site might already have pics of a fat OCer in assless chaps.

I’m afraid to look.

Drang
07-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Wake me when someone posts "Dude making Open Carriers look good"...

Trooper224
07-19-2019, 10:08 PM
The only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops. I saw a lot of cheap thermo- plastic and Serpa stuff on plain clothes guys.

Seen more than one "special" agent take his holstered pistol out of his briefcase and return it to same when leaving. Saw two of them argue over which Glock belonged to whom. "This one's yours." "No, I put mine in that box." "No you didn't." I looked at one and said, "Yours is the black one."

Seen more than one LEO in jeans and a t-shirt, with said t-shirt so tightly stretched over their weapon you could read the serial number. One of the local LEOs on the Marshals Taskforce wears his thigh holster flopping down around his knee and obviously thinks he's a pipe hitting snake eater because of it.

I've only seen two feds come through the hallowed halls of justice, who seem squared away with their gun handling. One is an ATF agent I worked with a few times when I was on SWAT, back in the bronze age. I'd go through a door with that man any time. The other is a female FBI agent. At least as best I can tell, since I'm constantly distracted by the way she fills out her 5.11s.

The fact is, years of service and agency affiliation are meaningless. If they DGAF they never will and you can't make them.

Andy in NH
07-19-2019, 10:47 PM
... t-shirt so tightly stretched over their weapon you could read the serial number.

Trooper224
07-19-2019, 10:51 PM

That's amateur hour compared to some I've seen.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/507/267/941.png

Trooper224
07-19-2019, 10:52 PM
DP......................

Cypher
07-19-2019, 11:28 PM
Just saw this on Facebeast

https://i.postimg.cc/T34rdVWL/FB-IMG-1563596631006.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Cypher
07-19-2019, 11:29 PM

No joke, I used to go to church with a guy that "concealed" exactly like that

scjbash
07-30-2019, 06:40 PM

blues
07-30-2019, 06:49 PM
^^^Now you know why they're looking for a few good men!

:rolleyes:

JAD
07-30-2019, 07:00 PM

No, bud, you’re the tool.

BillSWPA
07-30-2019, 07:37 PM
We all knew it would happen: open carrier has gun stolen.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/police-man-arrested-after-stealing-gun-from-woman-walking-down-the-street/970477746

BehindBlueI's
07-30-2019, 09:30 PM
We all knew it would happen: open carrier has gun stolen.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/police-man-arrested-after-stealing-gun-from-woman-walking-down-the-street/970477746

I've personally worked cases where it's happened or been attempted. One was a female open carrying as the passenger on a motorcycle stopped at a red light. I can think of five cases that came through our office in the six years I was there off the top of my head.

We had a pursuit that ended up in hillbilly land and the Cleatii had to come out and "help". One was a kid wearing a fucking belly band over his t-shirt with what I think was a Taurus TCP in it. "Help".

BillSWPA
07-30-2019, 09:37 PM
I've personally worked cases where it's happened or been attempted. One was a female open carrying as the passenger on a motorcycle stopped at a red light. I can think of five cases that came through our office in the six years I was there off the top of my head.

We had a pursuit that ended up in hillbilly land and the Cleatii had to come out and "help". One was a kid wearing a fucking belly band over his t-shirt with what I think was a Taurus TCP in it. "Help".

I am laughing as I read the description of the .380 in the belly band outside the T-shirt!

Those numbers need to be made known to those who argue that open carry is a deterrent.

olstyn
07-30-2019, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I saw one of those about a week and a half ago at a game store of all places. Dude was playing Warhammer or some variant thereof, and every time he leaned forward over the table, he went from "there might be something there" to "yup, not 100% sure whether it's a 19X or a 17, but that's a Glock for sure." Just goes to show how oblivious people can be, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who noticed it, and there were tons of people there, as there were two separate game tournaments going on.

BehindBlueI's
07-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Those numbers need to be made known to those who argue that open carry is a deterrent.

They don't care.

It may be a deterrent to some. It's an enticement to others. Unfortunately, those "others" tend to be the more dangerous.

BehindBlueI's
07-30-2019, 10:52 PM
Just goes to show how oblivious people can be, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who noticed it, and there were tons of people there, as there were two separate game tournaments going on.

What was your reaction?

What do you expect other's reaction to be so that you know they noticed?

Yung
07-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I saw one of those about a week and a half ago at a game store of all places. Dude was playing Warhammer or some variant thereof, and every time he leaned forward over the table, he went from "there might be something there" to "yup, not 100% sure whether it's a 19X or a 17, but that's a Glock for sure." Just goes to show how oblivious people can be, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who noticed it, and there were tons of people there, as there were two separate game tournaments going on.

Reminds me of that guy who went around doing rap squats around players with plumber's crack at a Magic tournament and got banned for it.

Then his ban expired and I think he promptly went it did it again.

Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about can search for 'Richmond Grand Prix Crackstyle' but don't do it at work.

olstyn
07-31-2019, 05:55 AM
What was your reaction?

Mostly internal eye-roll.

What do you expect other's reaction to be so that you know they noticed?

Given how much of the MTG-playing community consists of far left blue voters, I kind of figure that if it had been noticed, there would have been some sort of reaction from somebody beyond the nothing that I noticed. Freak out, ask the store manager to make the person leave, etc. Maybe I'm just used to hearing so many intolerant political diatribes from that group of people that my expectations are off from reality?

Cypher
07-31-2019, 10:36 AM
I've personally worked cases where it's happened or been attempted. One was a female open carrying as the passenger on a motorcycle stopped at a red light.

What?

Did the thief just run up to the motorcycle, grab the gun and run away?

Cypher
07-31-2019, 10:52 AM
I've told the story of the two guys that tried to rob me while I was open carrying.

I've also had some random kid threaten to knock me on my ass and take my gun because I didn't respond when he asked me what kind of gun I was carrying.

I walked into a convenience store at work one night and had some random street rat begin following me around the store immediately. I don't know that his intent was to snatch my gun but I can't come up with another explanation.

I was standing in line at a 7-11 waiting for a gas receipt one afternoon when some Methhead walked through the door and immediately began screaming "I'm security around here motherfucker!!!!" at me.

I don't know if the security uniform automatically made them think I was a doof or that I wouldn't retaliate if attacked or maybe they assumed that because I was a security guard my gun wasn't loaded but it was enough to convince me that open carry isn't nearly the deterrent some people think it is.

There was also the idiot who would find me everytime he came on my site and make some stupid comment about "Better watch out, here comes the guard. He's got a gun and he'll shoot you."

BehindBlueI's
07-31-2019, 12:35 PM
What?

Did the thief just run up to the motorcycle, grab the gun and run away?

In a nutshell, yes, but it was a forward cant holster and the gun didn't come out due to the angle they tried to jerk it out at. 3 males approached the bike at a red light, from behind tried to "sneak thief" the gun, the passenger noticed the hand on her gun and was able to trap it and dismount. They were not particularly dedicated to the cause and fled. She fired shots at them, illegally, with an apartment building as her backstop. The prosecutor came pretty close to filing on her but I convinced them to not to, she was foolish but not malicious. The suspects were not caught.