PDA

View Full Version : New truck payment

Darth_Uno
05-22-2019, 07:53 AM
...for a truck I don’t even get to drive. Bought it through the business for my dad. He doesn’t haul the Bobcat as much as he used to so no need for a diesel. Not a Lariat but still a nice step up from the basic work trucks we usually buy.

I’m normally a GM guy just because I’ve never had a problem with Silverados. But all the local 2500’s jumped from basic work trucks to loaded LTZ/Denalis with not much in between. Honestly...we own Ford and Chevy in our fleet and one’s not better than the other.

LittleLebowski
05-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Nice. I would have gotten Ford over Chevy/GM as well. Was it just more affordable?

Darth_Uno
05-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Nice. I would have gotten Ford over Chevy/GM as well. Was it just more affordable?

For the features/options, yes. Ford/Chevy MSRP is pretty comparable, there just wasn’t many mid-tier (LT trim) 2500’s to be found.

ralph
05-22-2019, 10:26 AM
...for a truck I don’t even get to drive. Bought it through the business for my dad. He doesn’t haul the Bobcat as much as he used to so no need for a diesel. Not a Lariat but still a nice step up from the basic work trucks we usually buy.

I’m normally a GM guy just because I’ve never had a problem with Silverados. But all the local 2500’s jumped from basic work trucks to loaded LTZ/Denalis with not much in between. Honestly...we own Ford and Chevy in our fleet and one’s not better than the other.

There's a reason all the 2500's went loaded..people like you and I, (I have a outside wood burner to heat my house, my truck 2011 GMC Serria is used as my wood hauler) are in the minorty as we actually use them as they were intended..As a friend of mine who at the time owned a Ford dealership told me, when I asked him why he didn't sell more stripped down trucks, his answer was simple.."we don't make any money on them, the more options they have, the more we can charge" Truck like I have, standard cab, rubber floormat, hand crank windows, shift lever to engage the 4 wheel drive, and not a button, the only options are tilt wheel, cruise control, am/fm radio, and air, are rare birds anymore. And when I look at new ones every once in awhile, I'm shocked at the prices..

Darth_Uno
05-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Right. My friend managed a Chevy dealership, said there’s no money in the basic trucks. And a basic regular cab long bed hardly costs any less than a mid-level crew cab. Because GM/Ford/Dodge never runs incentives on them. People who need it (businesses) are gonna buy em anyway, so they’re not fighting for your business like they are with upscale models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txdpd
05-22-2019, 11:16 AM
There’s plenty of money in stripped down fleet trucks, but that’s a volume and service contract proposition. But most consumer 3/4 ton trucks are glorified groceries getters and so overbuilt for the task there’s not much that will break. Big pickups are largely a fashion statement, there aren’t many low end trucks stocked because they are getting bought as practice items.

That 6.2 is a great engine, if you’re not routinely towing north of 10k, the diesel is a hassle and waste of money. It’s a good engine and ford has the transmission programming figured out. You won’t escape common internet complaints like my gas engine needs revs to make power and it downshifts on hills, but it’s a very capable engine.

Darth_Uno
05-22-2019, 11:28 AM
That 6.2 is a great engine, if you’re not routinely towing north of 10k, the diesel is a hassle and waste of money. It’s a good engine and ford has the transmission programming figured out. You won’t escape common internet complaints like my gas engine needs revs to make power and it downshifts on hills, but it’s a very capable engine.

We've got a couple 3/4 tons in our fleet, diesel and gas. You can easily tow a Bobcat with the gas engine, I just wouldn't want to every day. Our F250 Powerstroke is great. Our trucks with gas engines will get you from point A to point B but you know you're pulling a couple tons.

Borderland
05-22-2019, 12:44 PM

I could drive a truck like that in Mexico. :) You could get the parents in the back seat and all the kids in the bed, maybe a few relatives too.

I'll be looking for something like that when we sell our trailer. You can buy 250 with the same WB as a 150 I think. Currently a LTZ Duramax owner. Pulls like a freight train but so far it's cost me the price of a new small tractor to maintain. I think I'm done with GM.:(

theJanitor
05-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Nice truck!

When I used to buy trucks for the company, I used to call my Chevy and Ford fleet guys and tell them the spec I wanted. I'd also tell them that I asked the Fleet sales manager for the other brand, too. Best price wins, no negotiating. It worked out for many years.

RJ
05-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Very nice.

Was mentioning to the wife last night how much I loved my '16 2500 Ram with the Cummins. Pulled like a train. Not, really, that I have a use for a truck now...do I...do I...geez I need to stop looking at Airstream Travel Trailer videos. :)

But seriously, that is a nice looking truck.

LittleLebowski
05-22-2019, 02:43 PM
I could drive a truck like that in Mexico. :) You could get the parents in the back seat and all the kids in the bed, maybe a few relatives too.

I'll be looking for something like that when we sell our trailer. You can buy 250 with the same WB as a 150 I think. Currently a LTZ Duramax owner. Pulls like a freight train but so far it's cost me the price of a new small tractor to maintain. I think I'm done with GM.:(

Diesel maintenance is getting insane.

Duelist
05-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Had a 2500 Duramax for a few years. Fun, powerful truck. Maintenance costs sent it down the road, as I really don’t need that much truck.

ranger
05-22-2019, 04:52 PM
I miss my 2015 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 - we still own it but my wife took it over...….

txdpd
05-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Diesel maintenance is getting insane.

F250/350/F450 Powerstroke 450hp/935tq
F450 Chassis/F550 Powerstroke 330/750
F650/F750 Powerstroke 270/675
Ram 2500/3500 Cummins 370/850
Ram 4500/5500 Cummins 325/750
Cummins B6.7 found in class 6-7 commercial trucks start at 200/520
GM 2500/3500 Duramax 445/910

The much loved 7.3 Powerstroke and 5.9 Cummins get held on a pedestal but they were 200's to low 300's HP and 500 to mid 600's on torque. Used as a car, the newer hopped up light duty diesels have a pretty good life, 200k miles without too many problems, as far as truck engines go they have an abysmal life span. The smallest trucks with the least demands get the most power and the shortest life. Built in obsolescence on the big boy toys.

There's also the emissions equipment to deal with on newer trucks. That's a headache all on it's own.

Darth_Uno
05-22-2019, 06:26 PM
If anyone cares, this is my daily driver. Basic work truck with chrome package (gotta look professional if I'm selling customers 300-600k homes). I myself don't need a 3/4 ton or diesel, since my work is now 2/3 office & sales, and 1/3 actual carpentry.

This was also an "oops" moment where I misjudged exactly how solid that berm may or may not be.

Borderland
05-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Had a 2500 Duramax for a few years. Fun, powerful truck. Maintenance costs sent it down the road, as I really don’t need that much truck.

I wish I had know back in 07 what I know now. I've spent 14K on that truck since I bought it and it has about 135K on the odo. I was on my way to AZ with a trailer a few years ago it puked on me in a mountain pass. 6K and 6 days later I was back on the road. Got home and bam, another 5K repair.

There is no way in hell I'm buying another diesel pickup. The bright side is there will somebody that will pay top dollar for (it's in nice shape for an 07) because the new ones are stupid expensive. New LTZ runs about 50K plus now with NASA exhaust system.

I'm still hauling a trailer with it but damn I feel like a test pilot.

Sigfan26
05-22-2019, 07:31 PM
I wish I had know back in 07 what I know now. I've spent 14K on that truck since I bought it and it has about 135K on the odo. I was on my way to AZ with a trailer a few years ago it puked on me in a mountain pass. 6K and 6 days later I was back on the road. Got home and bam, another 5K repair.

There is no way in hell I'm buying another diesel pickup. The bright side is there will somebody that will pay top dollar for (it's in nice shape for an 07) because the new ones are stupid expensive. New LTZ runs about 50K plus now with NASA exhaust system.

I'm still hauling a trailer with it but damn I feel like a test pilot.

My friends that love diesel trucks are all diesel techs [emoji19]

Casual Friday
05-22-2019, 07:41 PM
My 2011 F250 with the 6.2L gas motor just turned over 110,000 miles. Great trucks.

Borderland
05-22-2019, 08:09 PM

I can understand that.;)

rayrevolver
05-22-2019, 09:15 PM
How much weight do you need to tow?

Even my "man-minivan“ 2013 F-150 Ecoboost can tow a 6500lb trailer without much fanfare. Not much engine braking though.

My issue is that I have a tiny payload since the Lariat is heavy with options. No way I could pull the 9500lb limit trailer unless it was 10% tongue and I was by myself.

The newer aluminum-body trucks have much better payload. As a daily driver it's a great truck and some guys have gone over 200k miles without issues.

txdpd
05-23-2019, 09:36 AM
If anyone cares, this is my daily driver. Basic work truck with chrome package (gotta look professional if I'm selling customers 300-600k homes). I myself don't need a 3/4 ton or diesel, since my work is now 2/3 office & sales, and 1/3 actual carpentry.

This was also an "oops" moment where I misjudged exactly how solid that berm may or may not be.

When I hire people for work, what they drive makes an impact on my decision making.

A guy that drives something simple and well maintained, gives the impression that they take care of business. On the other ends of the spectrum there's feast or famine, guys in blinged out trucks and clapped out POS's, either side doesn't have two extra nickels to rub together.

LittleLebowski
05-23-2019, 10:02 AM
With my brother's passing, we are sitting on a few non emissions diesels on the ranch in Wyoming; I bet they're worth a bit.

NickA
05-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIn my experience most dudes buy a diesel just so they can tell everyone about it and try to get them to buy one too.
It's almost as bad as vegans, Crossfitters, and BJJ guys (I kid, I kid) [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk