PDA

View Full Version : LW CCO/RMR/X300U - How the heck did I end up here?

theJanitor
05-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Here's what my CCW pistol has morphed into. Explanation to follow a few pics:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40935306133_a457b9f86d_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46985723785_6d8acc5f2c_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40935305893_2e33b8e501_c.jpg

So this should be the final iteration of my carry 1911, until I scrape up enough dough to order a Railed LW CCO from wilson with the True Zero optic mounting system.

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to migrate from a steel 5" 1911, to a lighter weight version. At the same time I had a need to change my carry style. For years, I had a gov't model colt, carried in a quality (Andrews, Garrity, Sparks) rig, at 3:30. One day an police officer told me that I needed a holster that hid my pistol better. This shocked me, because I thought I had a very discreet system. So I parked the 1911's for a pocket-carried 642 while I sorted things out. At this point, I decided that I should give AIWB a real shot, and went head first looking for a rig to carry my Colts. I bought a myriad of holsters at great expense (Garrity, TT, JM, Spencer's, JRC watson special and CDAII). SLG helped me get into a SME, and I bought another SME from Bolke. I bought holsters for G19, G17, and G34's too. in the end, I decided that the slimness of the 1911 was better for AIWB, but my pistols were just too big and heavy.

Enter the Wiley Clapp CCO. I wanted a CCO for AIWB carry, and the clapp is just the best deal in Colt 1911's right now. $1100 gets a nicely finished aluminum frame, checkering, high cut frontstrap, rounded and chekered MSH, beveled magwell, BTGS, and Novak sights. Colt could charge a few hundred dollars more, and the pistol would still have value. I first fitted a Novak thumb safety and an aluminum trigger, just because I can't use the factory safety and I had those parts in my parts bin. Next, I ordered the flatwire recoil spring kit from Nighthawk and paired it with a NH barrel bushing too. All these pieces fitted in easily and didn't need a gunsmith.

https://i.imgur.com/nZ14OmY.jpg?2

Then in 2016, I had some serious vision issues. I'm already blind in my left eye, the result of a blown out retina in 1982. I severely tore the right retina and went in for a scleral buckle and a vitrectomy procedure. I was unable to see for several weeks, and was not able to work for three months. The Victrectomy also resulted in severe cataract clouding in my right eye. I went through a cataract procedure in early 2017 that wasn't as successful as I had hoped. I was then fitted for bifocals. Going from 20/20 vision to using a magnifying glass to read the newspaper was a huge shock, but not being able to see my front sight was completely disheartening. I figured shooting was not in the cards for me. I actually sold off half of my pistols (mostly out of sadness), and most of my rifles (due to an aversion of recoil) during the next few months, as I came to realize that I couldn't see a target, nor could I aim reliably.

My brother, who was just getting serious about pistol shooting, builds a Roland Special. His eyes are shit too (thanks, Dad), and he knew the answer. A RMR shows up on my desk one day, and he tells me to call Nighthawk custom and ask them if they can install it on one of my 1911's. I did. Bob Reeves at NH told me to send everything in, and I was set, except for choosing what 1911 to use. In the end, I chose the CCO for a couple of reasons. First, was that the CCO was such a great carry gun, that it only made sense to use it as the host, second, it was the cheapest 1911 I owned, and if I didn't like it, at least I didn't ruin a favorite custom. I also asked NH to clean up the slide's rollmarks, and sharp edges, and finish it in nitride. They did a great job and in a couple of months, I got this:

https://i.imgur.com/p943Wj3.jpg?1

The RMR was a revelation, as I could finally aim reliably AND see what I was aiming at! I was so relieved, that I had Jagerworks install two more RMR's on gen3 glocks that I had.

Summer of 2018, i fought a battle with tendinitis in my right arm. Brushing my teeth was hard, and shooting a 45 was just not gonna happen. I had found that when I was shooting the Glocks alot, the pain flared up more. I wanted to shoot a 1911, but the recoil of the 45 was just as painful. I negotiated to buy a 9mm Wilson from StraitR, and it was a godsend. Along ith some intense PT, the low recoil, and comforatble grip of the 1911, resulted in very little pain. The problem with that gun was thhe grip. It was a full frame, with a magwell, and it was steel. It was just too damn heavy and long to conceal. Wilson doesn't make flush mags for their full size guns, so it became even longer with the huge baseplates. M2CattleCo turned me on to some flush fit mags, but I couldn't get a standard MSH fit onto the pistol without having the whole thing reworked at Wilson.

https://i.imgur.com/gbW9X2p.jpg?1

In the end, I traded the gun for the Wilson EDC X9. It is the PERFECT carry size 9mm 1911, IMO.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33805810138_cc82d70b35_c.jpg

Holsters for the X9 turned out to be a problem and a solution for AIWB carry. There were no readily available holsters for the X9. Enter the PHLSTER FLOODLIGHT (https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/floodlight/). It's a universal-type holster for pistols with an attached weaponlight. I figured that I would get one, and even though I needed to attach a light, at least it was a holster that would fit the gun until I could get a dedicated holster made. Turns out, that I was more comfortable carrying the X9 with the X300, than any other pistol/holster combo I had!

By January 2019, my cataracts has re-emerged with horrible effect. I couldn't see much through them, and resorted to using a magnifying glass AND my bifocals just to read. I underwent a YAG laser capsulotomy, and the improvement to my vision was immense. Front sights weren't clear yet, but at least I could see them.

Right about this time, newyork and a few others are telling me that the DarkStar Rigel is the most comfortable pistol/weaponlight rig around, so I order one, and turns out, the X9 fits in there really good:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46986443225_be93e4972d_c.jpg

I thought I could opt out of using the RMR, and I would give the X9 some time. Well it turns out, that the RMR is still likely the best solution for me. And while I shoot the X9 ok, I'm not as good with it as I am a standard 1911. So I had a couple of choices:

-Buy a pistol in the configuration I wanted (LW, CCO, RMR, Light rail, 9mm) - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME
-Build one in the configuration I wanted - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE & TIME CONSUMING
-Find someone to install a RMR on my X9 - I couldn't sink another $1000 in the gun if I don't shoot it great. In the end, I think Wilson will get this pistol for the optic install, unless StraitR wants it

In the end, I opted to try and get a light rail installed on my CCO. It was cost effective, since the gun was already cut for the optic, and it was already vetted for reliability. I contacted Steve at MARS and asked if he'd make an exception and install the light rail intended for a gov't model on a commander sized LW frame. He makes small runs of the rails and adapters for the X300, in the same pattern as the old Daswon system. He said he'd evaluate it if I sent in the gun. He thinks this frame was thick enough to be durable. so we went ahead with the install. I told him that I'd keep him abreast of the health of the system, as it's not installed on the optimal frame. I don't know how willing he will be to do repeat this install. But, I think it turned out perfect for what I need, a lightweight, compact, 1911, with a RMR, and a light, carried in a very comfortable DSG rig. I couldn't be happier

ASH556
05-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Man, what a cool post and thanks so much for taking the time to share. So sorry to hear about your vision issues.

Robinson
05-21-2019, 03:52 PM
theJanitor - nicely done, and way to stick with it through your troubles.

theJanitor
05-21-2019, 04:04 PM
In the end, I’d like to have the x9 fitted with an RMR and a railed LW Wilson, also with the RMR.

I don’t think I can run the SRO on the 1911/X9 as the optic will likely end up inside my waistline. I’m sure I’ll get one, but it will end up on the G17

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/04fd4e5b5fb3d9bc8284e79cd34ab42d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/b2cbfd60049ac64efb13889d42154c02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistertwo
05-21-2019, 04:09 PM
I thought I was crazy when I tried to figure out how to build your CCW pistol a few weeks ago. That is pretty much what I wanted to build for myself. I've got a Phlster floodlight and jokingly tried it out on a bunch of my pistols including a DW Discretion w/ the Trijicon RMR & mount. It worked surprisingly well other than the grip length. I ultimately gave up after not finding an easy or inexpensive way to set up such a 1911. Thanks for sharing your story in search of your perfect CCW pistol and I hope you have better luck w/ your health moving forward.

JHC
05-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Spectacular OP

Hieronymous
05-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Spectacular OP

Couldn't agree more. We need a Pistol-Forum tip jar.

P.S. - Ageing eyes and deteriorating vision will undoubtedly propel many of the RDS holdouts (myself included) to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for sharing.

StraitR
05-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Awesome stuff, brother. It's been an incredible and immensely educational trip for me watching most of this unfold for you. Really glad you decided to share, and I hope readers can take away that individual need and preference are a real thing. There is no "one size fits all" in life, and pistols are no exception.

I'm with you on the vision and RDS pistol thing. It's becoming my reality, as you know, albeit on a soulless plastic host.

theJanitor
05-21-2019, 06:47 PM
and I hope readers can take away that individual need and preference are a real thing. There is no "one size fits all" in life, and pistols are no exception.

If there is a take-away from my long winded post, it is exactly that.

Balisong
05-21-2019, 07:03 PM
That is a sexy beast!!! Awesome job man, and I'm glad your vision is doing better! Thanks for sharing.

MDFA
05-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your vision problems. Outstanding job on that CCO. I was just thinking of having a RMR mounted on a 1911, but was unsure who milled them. I'll have to check out Nighthawk.

1Rangemaster
05-21-2019, 07:24 PM
That is an inspiring story, sir.
The very best of luck in the future-and thanks for sharing your difficult journey. Keep shootin’!

RevolverRob
05-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Solid.

But it does sound like there is going to be one more step in this process:

A 9mm CCO with a rail and an SRO on top of it.

ChaseN
05-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the club. Built this little beast a couple years ago. 9mm, DIY shortened aluminum frame.

theJanitor
05-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the club. Built this little beast a couple years ago. 9mm, DIY shortened aluminum frame.

DIY shortening? Mind doing a writeup of this process? I assume your frame had the Caspian type frame cutouts under the grips

MGW
05-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Great post. Thanks for sharing the process you went through.

theJanitor what do you think it is about the Glock that made your tendinitis worse? I have not shot Glocks much in awhile and the tendinitis in my elbow has improved a lot. Even shooting a government 45 doesn’t seem to bother it as long as I don’t over do it and don’t shoot too much duty ammo. I never thought about there being a connection to my grip with Glocks.

Also, have you wrote up your experience with the EDCx9 somewhere? You’re not the first person to remark that you don’t shoot it as well as you thought you would. I’m curious as to why.

ChaseN
05-21-2019, 09:21 PM
DIY shortening? Mind doing a writeup of this process? I assume your frame had the Caspian type frame cutouts under the grips

It was a few years back so I don't have the pics to go with the following steps. But basically:

1. Measure and cut the frame to just barely longer than officer specs

2. Drill new MSH hole using ed brown bobtail jig (bobtail MSH pin hole is in the same place as officer frames).

3. Buy one piece officers length MSH/magwell, hand file frame until magwell slides on and fits perfectly snug

4. Buy quality officer grips, I used VZ, use grip holes as template to drill frame to accept grip bushings

5. Thread new grip bushing holes in frame with appropriate tap

5. Assemble everything and go shoot

I used a harbor freight drill press, hacksaw, mitre box, various c clamps, and a bench vise to do the work. It looks 100% factory/unmodified when assembled.

The cutout under the grips on the old STIs allow you to re drill the grip bushing holes in the proper location for officers length grips. Most 1911s won't let you do this. Glancing up the magwell of an assembled pistol will tell you the story though.

Gun has a few K rounds through it, including some kagwerks training, zero malfunctions of any sort with Wilson ETMs and literally whatever factory/reloaded/brass/steel/fmj/flat nose/jhp ammo/+p+/-p/major/minor/unicorn farts/buffalo bore ammo I've put through it

Trukinjp13
05-21-2019, 09:33 PM
These 1911 threads are great. Thank you OP for the post. Very cool story and I appreciate hearing how and why we end up where we do. Like was stated we are all different. Different tastes, different feelings and different approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theJanitor
05-21-2019, 09:45 PM
theJanitor what do you think it is about the Glock that made your tendinitis worse? I have not shot Glocks much in awhile and the tendinitis in my elbow has improved a lot. Even shooting a government 45 doesn’t seem to bother it as long as I don’t over do it and don’t shoot too much duty ammo. I never thought about there being a connection to my grip with Glocks.

I think the problem is a culmination of a few things. I have a very lazy technique as a pistol shooter. I've done well, through the years, relying on alot of hand, forearm, and overall body strength. I could easily get 10 reps of a 2.0 CoC trainer, in either hand. I used them like those stress-relief squeeze balls at work. I don't lock my elbows or my wrists, but I would just grip it hard and drive on. When I was forced to stay at home and face the floor (a position the the eye surgeon declared I must remain while my eye healed), I lost about 20 pounds of muscle, mostly in my back and arms. I lost the thing that was getting me by all these years, strength.

When I was trying to learn the RMR, I put in alot of dry fire time with the glocks. I spent way too long getting every sight picture perfect before making a shot, spending way too long locked up, waiting for the dot to settle. I found I was squeezing REALLY hard (cause that's how I shoot a pistol) and forcing my support thumb very far forward and flat. Since I was fully extending my arms, alot of tension was going through my back. I think the combination of gripping really hard and forcing my wrists forward was the culprit. All of this was mostly to get the glock to point flat and keeping the dot steady. Otherwise the result was a dot high outside the RMR window and shaking like mad.

The Physical Therapist, noted that my tendinitis was originating from under my right shoulder blade, as the muscles created tension up my back, over my shoulder, and into my forearm. He basically (and painfully) separated my muscles from their incorrect position in my back and put them in a place to "reattach" correctly. I then went to a masseur for a few months to maintain this alignment. I noticed when I went back to the 1911, I shot in a much more "lazy" position and didn't force odd muscle tension in my arms and shoulders. I'm sure I could have worked it out with the glocks, but I had little desire to.

Dave Williams
05-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Awesome thread, thank you!

Doc_Glock
05-21-2019, 11:50 PM
Great story and great post. Thank you for taking the time. What a unique set up.

03RN
05-22-2019, 04:28 AM
Nice visualization of your evolution. Great looking guns too.

I held off milling one of my steel government models to wait untill I find a LW Commander to do a similar build.

LittleLebowski
05-22-2019, 07:02 AM
Man, what a cool post and thanks so much for taking the time to share. So sorry to hear about your vision issues.

11B10
05-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Janitor's story should be published somewhere. It's truly inspirational and reminded me of LSP972's journey, may he rest in peace. These two gentlemen personify living life to the fullest. I am embarrassed to admit that I ever said I had any health "issues." There can now be no excuses accepted, for me, going forward.

Tod-13
05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
<snip>
My brother, who was just getting serious about pistol shooting, builds a Roland Special. His eyes are shit too (thanks, Dad), and he knew the answer. A RMR shows up on my desk one day, and he tells me to call Nighthawk custom and ask them if they can install it on one of my 1911's.<snip>

The other vision issues aside, have you looked at trifocals? Last year (or the year before), I had to switch to trifocals. The mid-range viewing area is thinner than the far and near above and below. Mid-range doesn't work for me for computer monitors but it works great for iron sights--waiting for green enclosed projector optics to switch to optics on pistols. The trifocals might let you use BUIS if needed.

Progressive lenses don't work for me--not sure why they are so popular. The limited focused FOV is just annoying and the correct focus for far and near are always too high and too low.

theJanitor
05-22-2019, 12:08 PM
And one thing I've learned for the vision-impaired. Put the brightest damn light you can on your pistol, along with a FAT front sight. You might not be able to focus on a front sight, but when you light it up, the big front sight, backlit with 1000 lumens is definitely visible.

Also, have you wrote up your experience with the EDCx9 somewhere? You’re not the first person to remark that you don’t shoot it as well as you thought you would. I’m curious as to why.

I'm trying out the larger backstrap to see if it'll help So far it's showing promise. I think the bigger benefit for me, is it mas created more room on the left side of the gun for my support hand palm.

I held off milling one of my steel government models to wait untill I find a LW Commander to do a similar build.

Now you have the benefit of Wilson and Nighthawk's Optic plate systems. I'm stuck with the RMR (which I'm very happy with), but since Trijicon and other manufacturers are making new optics for the footprint, I'm not too restricted on optic choice

here can now be no excuses accepted, for me, going forward.

My cousin lost the first third of his trigger finger in an machinery accident. There's always someone worse off than ourselves

newt
05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
"Also, have you wrote up your experience with the EDCx9 somewhere? You’re not the first person to remark that you don’t shoot it as well as you thought you would. I’m curious as to why."

I've had issues as well. I shoot the EDC X9 Acceptably. But I should other platforms more than acceptably. I'm trying the larger backstrap as well. I'm not completely sure why I'm having this issue. But I want this gun to work for me as I originally chose it for IDPA and Carry both.

I think Duke(?) on this forum mentioned similar issues as well.

Newt

theJanitor
05-22-2019, 12:47 PM
I've had issues as well. I shoot the EDC X9 Acceptably. But I should other platforms more than acceptably. I'm trying the larger backstrap as well. I'm not completely sure why I'm having this issue. But I want this gun to work for me as I originally chose it for IDPA and Carry both.

I think Duke(?) on this forum mentioned similar issues as well.

Newt

When I benchrest the X9, it's an absolute tackdriver, so I know accuracy issues are all me. Also, the X9 indexes to the sights the most naturally of any pistol I've ever used. Grip shape feels great. Trigger is great. My highest scores on the MantisX system have been with the X9. why I shoot a 5" govt model better is beyond me. :confused:

Tom Duffy
05-22-2019, 01:48 PM
When I benchrest the X9, it's an absolute tackdriver, so I know accuracy issues are all me. Also, the X9 indexes to the sights the most naturally of any pistol I've ever used. Grip shape feels great. Trigger is great. My highest scores on the MantisX system have been with the X9. why I shoot a 5" govt model better is beyond me. :confused:
Wonder if it might be that there is more purchase area for your weak hand on the government grip? Against all expectation, I shoot my HK45C LEM better than my P30L LEM.