PDA

View Full Version : Glock 45 (gen 5 obviously) trigger gone to complete shit at 1,500 rounds

ASH556
05-20-2019, 08:51 AM
I've got 1,500 rounds on a Glock 45 I bought in January. Bear in mind that I took 2 months off Glocks and shot Beretta 92's exclusively. Now that I'm about a week into messing with Glocks full time again I'm finding my G45 trigger to be rather difficult to press cleanly. I thought it was me at first, but then when I picked up my new pair of Gen 5 G19 MOS's this weekend, I found those triggers to be very easy to manipulate cleanly and reminded me of how my G45 used to feel.

I detail stripped and cleaned both the slide and frame this morning (even though it wasn't all that dirty, maybe 600 rounds since last cleaning) and found no improvement.

1. Anyone else seen this in a Gen 5 Glock?
2. What do I do? Return it to Glock?

ETA: to further describe the problem: It's "stagey" (like 3-4 mini walls as you try to roll through the press), gritty, and it seems to stack weight through the press.

JHC
05-20-2019, 09:04 AM
I had this happen about a year ago on a Gen 4 19 and a fresh striker spring completely fixed it. The old one looked slightly askew and manifested more effort to seat it in the striker channel.

spinmove_
05-20-2019, 09:06 AM
This seems to be a common theme with the Gen5s from other threads that I’ve seen around here. I don’t own one yet, but this trend is disheartening to say the least. Following with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASH556
05-20-2019, 09:15 AM
I had this happen about a year ago on a Gen 4 19 and a fresh striker spring completely fixed it. The old one looked slightly askew and manifested more effort to seat it in the striker channel.

So to prove or disprove this theory I could simply pull a striker assy (or heck, just slap the whole top end) from one of my 19's on the 45 right?

I think I may have disproven this then, because I put the MOS top with an ACRO on the G45 frame and the trigger nastiness still exsisted.

I'm wondering if it's not something inside that little box at the rear where the connector goes.

RAM Engineer
05-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Following this with interest since I'm poised to replace all my legacy Gen3 & Gen4 Glocks with Gen5 guns.

thward89
05-20-2019, 09:30 AM
The same thing happened with me on a Gen 5 19. I put some grease on the connector, removed the plunger, blew into the recess the plunger sits a few times, reinstalled everything and it went away. In my experience (roughly 7,000 through Gen 5s), the trigger bar/connector needs a more frequent application of grease/lubricant than past gens to keep the trigger as clean. I have also noticed that pushing on the safety plunger a few times after shooting 400-500 rounds in a day will clean up the trigger pull if it starts to get heavier.

Texaspoff
05-20-2019, 09:41 AM
I've got 1,500 rounds on a Glock 45 I bought in January. Bear in mind that I took 2 months off Glocks and shot Beretta 92's exclusively. Now that I'm about a week into messing with Glocks full time again I'm finding my G45 trigger to be rather difficult to press cleanly. I thought it was me at first, but then when I picked up my new pair of Gen 5 G19 MOS's this weekend, I found those triggers to be very easy to manipulate cleanly and reminded me of how my G45 used to feel.

I detail stripped and cleaned both the slide and frame this morning (even though it wasn't all that dirty, maybe 600 rounds since last cleaning) and found no improvement.

1. Anyone else seen this in a Gen 5 Glock?
2. What do I do? Return it to Glock?

ETA: to further describe the problem: It's "stagey" (like 3-4 mini walls as you try to roll through the press), gritty, and it seems to stack weight through the press.

Also check the trigger bar where it engages the connector. There was an issue of trigger bars coating flaking off causing heavy triggers. I had this happen on a 5th Gen 19. Replaced the trigger bar and all was good. I have not had it happen with any of my 19X or G45s' but the problem is well commented on. While it may be a bit of an irritation, It doesn't bother me. I always have a few trigger and connectors around, so in 5 minutes the problem is solved. ]

Glock ain't perfect, but they are by far much easier to source parts for and fix on the fly than other platforms.

TXPO

ASH556
05-20-2019, 09:42 AM
The same thing happened with me on a Gen 5 19. I put some grease on the connector, removed the plunger, blew into the recess the plunger sits a few times, reinstalled everything and it went away. In my experience (roughly 7,000 through Gen 5s), the trigger bar/connector needs a more frequent application of grease/lubricant than past gens to keep the trigger as clean. I have also noticed that pushing on the safety plunger a few times after shooting 400-500 rounds in a day will clean up the trigger pull if it starts to get heavier.

I did apply fresh grease (Slip 2000 EWG) to the connector/trigger part interface as well as the striker/trigger bar interface.

Are you lubricating the safety plunger itself? I've always heard not to get any lubricant there as it can create issues in the striker channel.

thward89
05-20-2019, 09:45 AM
I did apply fresh grease (Slip 2000 EWG) to the connector/trigger part interface as well as the striker/trigger bar interface.

Are you lubricating the safety plunger itself? I've always heard not to get any lubricant there as it can create issues in the striker channel.

No, not on the safety plunger.

Clusterfrack
05-20-2019, 09:53 AM
This is very interesting. I have a G43 that had a great trigger, but now needs a bit more lube to feel smooth. I’m not sure how much I care about it... but maybe this is the price of the “improvements” from Gen 4 to Gen 5?

JHC
05-20-2019, 10:11 AM
So to prove or disprove this theory I could simply pull a striker assy (or heck, just slap the whole top end) from one of my 19's on the 45 right?

I think I may have disproven this then, because I put the MOS top with an ACRO on the G45 frame and the trigger nastiness still exsisted.

I'm wondering if it's not something inside that little box at the rear where the connector goes.

Cool. So now you've isolated the cause to the "lower" it would seem.

HCM
05-20-2019, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that this is why the M models have DLC coated internal parts.

EVP
05-20-2019, 10:50 AM
I have not experienced this issue in a 19x or g45 but I remember people that have had this resolved it by either replacing the trigger housing assembly or pulling it and giving a good cleaning.

HeavyDuty
05-20-2019, 11:03 AM
My 45 was the same, and I narrowed it down to where the trigger bar rubbed against the right side slide stop. Cleaning this area up and relubricating took care of the issue for me. Mine was getting really awful before I figured this out, like two fingers bad!

feudist
05-20-2019, 11:05 AM
I had this happen on a Gen 2 years ago.

Turned out the striker tube liner was torn.

M2CattleCo
05-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Happened to me with Gen5 19s and 43s.

Robar NP3 on all the metal parts fixed the 43s, didn't help the 19s.

Leroy
05-20-2019, 05:41 PM
I had to replace the trigger bar.

Maca
05-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Had this issue with a 19x. Glock replaced the trigger assembly, connector, trigger housing and slide release.

RJ
05-20-2019, 06:49 PM
I did the following in December, seemed to help a lot.

12-5-19

Toolset

Glock 19.5: Did 0.25c trigger job with Dremel and Flitz. Polished the Connector (Dot) and rear lug of the Firing pin. Removed and cleaned the Extractor.

Renewed/polished the following parts:

- New Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 47208 (with the 47021 Ejector)
- New Trigger with trigger bar 39702 (polished)
- New Firing pin safety 33782 (polished)

New OEM Extended Slide Release 47249.

Reassembled with a dot of grease in the connector lip.

Subjectively the trigger press seems smoother, about the same weight. No hitch in the take up. Kinda like it used to feel. The extended slide release is easier to release in my hand. I can now hit the release with my thumb.

I had no parts left over, and no springs were launched into low-earth orbit. So far, so good. :cool:

cornstalker
05-20-2019, 09:31 PM
On my 19x it was the trigger housing. Sounds like if you just replace all of the internal components you will have it...

I would swap one part at a time from a G19.5 lower over to it until it goes away. Then you will know.

cjb1911
05-20-2019, 09:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/ce364e848cb6a886510233edab3da88f.jpg

Does your trigger bar look like this perhaps?

Clobbersaurus
05-20-2019, 10:35 PM
7,900 rounds through my G17 Gen 5. Trigger is great. I did put a 3.5# disconnector in it a few months ago and make sure I clean the gunk around the right side trigger bar every few thousand rounds.

Doc_Glock
05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Data point: trigger went to pieces G4G26. Turned out to be the striker channel liner.

10mmfanboy
05-20-2019, 11:40 PM
I had my g43 trigger bar flake in only about 400 rounds. I never experienced that on any of my other glocks. Started feeling like a 12lb trigger with a wall from hell.

Glock 19 gen 4 trigger started getting bad after a few thousand rounds, I replaced the striker spring but also noticed some pretty decent gouging on the bottom side of safety plunger where the striker meets. Replaced both at the same time so I'm not sure which one fixed that issue.

I usually just lubed my glocks per manual, but as others have stated I've started using tetra or lucas grease on my connector. Seems to slick up the trigger pretty good for awhile.

BK14
05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
I was having a gritty/crappy trigger, so I pulled the trigger components out and hit them with some flitz, which was okay. The biggest improvement came from polishing the right side slide stop, that contacts the trigger bar. There’s still some hitch once I hit the wall, and I noticed there’s and issue with my channel liner, so I’m gonna see if my armorers can fix it today.

pangloss
05-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Mark me down in the flaking trigger bar column. My 19.5's trigger started to deteriorate near the end of the 2K challenge. When I detail stripped it, the problem became obvious. A new trigger bar fixed my problem.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/c9aea76e8d6e843aefb9d317ddf81baa.jpg

45dotACP
05-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Not sure if it's trigger bar flaking, but my gen 5 has a trigger that I would describe as "marginal"

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RAM Engineer
05-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Now I’m interested in hearing if ANYONE has a high round count Gen5 with NO trigger issues...

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-22-2019, 06:47 AM
My understanding is that this is why the M models have DLC coated internal parts.

This makes much sense to me, I have felt that Glock's internals were very poorly finished since my Gen 3/4 examples. So none of the consumer production guns have DLC internals?

ASH556
05-22-2019, 08:08 AM
FWIW, I'm taking the gun to Smyrna over lunch today. Fortunately I live close enough to do this!

pew_pew
05-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Would be an expensive option but Glock Triggers offers a trigger kit that’s 100% stock parts with no modifications but all the parts are polished to a mirror finish, even the striker spring. I’ve had one before. Definitely makes things smoother.

LittleLebowski
05-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Would be an expensive option but Glock Triggers offers a trigger kit that’s 100% stock parts with no modifications but all the parts are polished to a mirror finish, even the striker spring. I’ve had one before. Definitely makes things smoother.

Dremel buffer wheel, toothpaste :cool:

ASH556
05-22-2019, 08:41 AM
I get nervous about polishing Glock internals. This is what my Gen 4 G17 trigger bar looked like somewhere around the 10k round mark. I lightly buffed it with a felt wheel on a Dremel and after seeing this worried that I somehow ruined the hardness of the metal:

https://i.imgur.com/KWAU2mml.jpg

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 08:55 AM
I get nervous about polishing Glock internals. This is what my Gen 4 G17 trigger bar looked like somewhere around the 10k round mark. I lightly buffed it with a felt wheel on a Dremel and after seeing this worried that I somehow ruined the hardness of the metal:

https://i.imgur.com/KWAU2mml.jpg

You can only ruin the hardness if the part is case hardened. If it's through hardened (and tempered) then hardness is uniform throughout its cross section and you can't hurt it by removing materials.

Not all firearm parts are case hardened.

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Some people declare the CZ P-07 and P-09 unfit to carry because of a problem no one seems to be able to reproduce under anything but extreme contortions of trigger manipulation, or not at all (me included), but Glocks are good to go even though this thread shows they have their significant issues too.

And who can forget the Gen 4 RSA shitshow?

SW CQB 45
05-22-2019, 09:00 AM
AH556

what does your firing pin safety plunger look like?

mangled up like that?

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-22-2019, 09:03 AM
You can only ruin the hardness if the part is case hardened. If it's through hardened (and tempered) then hardness is uniform throughout its cross section and you can't hurt it by removing materials.

Not all firearm parts are case hardened.

According to the Glocksmith, T.R. Graham, if you've cut through the electroless nickel finish on Glock internals then you've ruined the part. I do not believe they are through hardened for this fact he mentioned this regarding trigger polishing. At least that was the case as of when the video he made "Making Glock's Rock' was produced (it is an older video).

Some people declare the CZ P-07 and P-09 unfit to carry because of a problem no one seems to be able to reproduce (me included) but Glocks are good to go even though this thread shows they have their significant issues too.

Or the fact that despite receiving your 'upgraded RSA' as I did with my Gen 3/4 17 pistols... I still was handsomely rewarded with a barely ejecting pistol that threw brass in my face constantly. SO, I gave them another chance to fix it by sending it in on their dime after finally getting the right person on the phone to have shipping covered by Glock both ways only to have my pistols returned exhibiting the same condition with a tech note 'Tested, within spec' and nothing more on the issue.

I gave up and moved on, have yet to return to drinking the Kool-aid... though must admit it is tempting given all the support for Glock's in so many ways. Sadly, I am still of the opinion that Glock's are designed to be produced VERY cheaply and everything else about them is a mere afterthought. That being said, I do appreciate that I can in fact shoot them pretty well without much effort.. as is often true for many people. But, these days there are more and more pistols out there that the same can be said of with often less problems mechanically.

ASH556
05-22-2019, 09:06 AM
AH556

what does your firing pin safety plunger look like?

mangled up like that?

I don't have that gun anymore, but it looked like this (some flaking, but not nearly as jagged as the trigger bar):

https://i.imgur.com/BXxIYTUl.jpg

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 09:07 AM
According to the Glocksmith, T.R. Graham, if you've cut through the electroless nickel finish on Glock internals then you've ruined the part. I do not believe they are through hardened for this fact he mentioned this regarding trigger polishing. At least that was the case as of when the video he made "Making Glock's Rock' was produced (it is an older video).

Electroless nickel is a corrosion protection finish. It has nothing to do with the metal's hardness.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Electroless nickel is a corrosion protection finish. It has nothing to do with the metal's hardness.

True, but that still does not prove they are in fact through hardened. Do you have any data to show they are through hardened?

ASH556
05-22-2019, 09:13 AM

But it is an overlay that has a hardness all its own; once removed then subjects the substrate metal (perhaps of a lesser hadrness) to wear.

GJM
05-22-2019, 09:18 AM
Some people declare the CZ P-07 and P-09 unfit to carry because of a problem no one seems to be able to reproduce under anything but extreme contortions of trigger manipulation, or not at all (me included), but Glocks are good to go even though this thread shows they have their significant issues too.

Uh, no. It happened to me in a USPSA match, it happened to me in multiple practice sessions, and there was nothing resembling an extreme contortion of my trigger finger.

https://youtu.be/NeT9OypmSuI

pew_pew
05-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Dremel buffer wheel, toothpaste :cool:

Yea maybe but doubt you can get it like this.

https://glocktriggers.com/product/guardian/

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 09:26 AM
True, but that still does not prove they are in fact through hardened. Do you have any data to show they are through hardened?

I never claimed anything. You brought up the electroless nickel tangent

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Uh, no. It happened to me in a USPSA match, it happened to me in multiple practice sessions, and there was nothing resembling an extreme contortion of my trigger finger.

https://youtu.be/NeT9OypmSuI

Anyone else?

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 09:28 AM
But it is an overlay that has a hardness all its own; once removed then subjects the substrate metal (perhaps of a lesser hadrness) to wear.

True.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-22-2019, 09:29 AM
I never claimed anything. You brought up the electroless nickel tangent

OK, thanks my mistake.

GJM
05-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Anyone else?

Of course, by others, and it was also confirmed by Cajun. Do you really think they were developing a new part to address this just because of me?

ralph
05-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Truth^^^^^^^^

SW CQB 45
05-22-2019, 09:54 AM
I have an Police Academy G17 Gen 4 assigned to me since 2013. I only bring it out twice a year for teaching at the police academy.

It has about 7,000 rounds through the tube with a Gen 3 Trigger bar where I stoned and smoothed (originally very jagged) the firing pin safety plunger extension. The coating was flaking off the firing pin safety plunger..... so I polished it off with a dremel wheel. I believe there is still a thin layer of coating across the flat.

Smooth trigger press and passes the shake test. Never an issue with this set up but it will never be carried in a defensive role.

Since my coating is gone (by me)..... I wonder if the two parts do not interface smoothly.... is it a disaster waiting to happen. Meaning a jagged trigger bar extension chewing the finish off the safety plunger and vice versa if the safety plunger does not move freely.... its chewing up the trigger bar extension.

My non educated guess.

The raised area at the bottom of my trigger bar extension was already there. I determined that part never touches the safety plunger. I did not remove that much material off the trigger bar extension leaving that raised area. I only cleaned up the jaggedness with a stone and polished with a dremel wheel.

https://i.imgur.com/kFLASuf.jpg

ralph
05-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Of course, by others, and it was also confirmed by Cajun. Do you really think they were developing a new part to address this just because of me?

Maybe not because of you, but because of the thread your issues started, yeah, maybe..Did'nt CGW also state that while they could get pistols to do it, they too has to use unusual contortions to get the pistols to do it? All I know is, I have not to date, been able to make my P07 do this, and my reward for trying was sore fingers..

On the other hand, out of 7 Glocks I either still own, or have owned, all but 2 have displayed the habit of throwing brass to my face, this included 2 G 21's( Gen3, and Gen4) 3 G19's (2 Gen3's and a Gen4)only a Gen4 g17, and a Gen 5 g19 don't do it.. Getting hit in the face with a peice of hot .45 brass is an eye opener, let me tell you..

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 10:03 AM

I'd rather not speculate why others do what they do. I do know that the P-07 I had (and shouldn't have traded away) and the P-09 I have now never showed this problem (or any other for that matter) and they weren't babied.

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 10:04 AM
The trigger bar issues seem so random. Some guys have a shit ton of rounds and no issues. Some have less than 500 through them and they are junk. Mine so far has been gtg. I take it apart and put greases on the connections. At least with the Glock it is a simple fix that is noticeably becoming a problem. And the gun still runs. The gen 4 deal was a shit show. I got Btf like a motha fucker with my sample, yet the gun still worked.

Get a few spare trigger parts for the Glock and call it good. Or have the shit coated. It is what it is at this point. Sucks for sure. But is still a easily corrected issue.

The CZ deal idk what to think. I have had two and never experienced the problem. One was bone stock and one had full CGW pro kit. I also know a few guys with them that had no issues either. The problem is real though. Seems to have a lot more to do with hand size, or how you manipulate it. But at the end of the day. The gun does not go bang when trigger is pulled. So for the people that experience the issue that is 100% reason to unload the program. I hope a real answer and fix comes out. They are amazing guns.

HCM
05-22-2019, 10:08 AM
This makes much sense to me, I have felt that Glock's internals were very poorly finished since my Gen 3/4 examples. So none of the consumer production guns have DLC internals?

Not that I’m aware of.

Might be a good aftermarket opportunity for someone.

Alpha Sierra
05-22-2019, 10:22 AM
The CZ deal idk what to think. I have had two and never experienced the problem. One was bone stock and one had full CGW pro kit. I also know a few guys with them that had no issues either. The problem is real though. Seems to have a lot more to do with hand size, or how you manipulate it. But at the end of the day. The gun does not go bang when trigger is pulled. So for the people that experience the issue that is 100% reason to unload the program. I hope a real answer and fix comes out. They are amazing guns.

If the problem never appears to you, is it a problem? Those who think this is an issue can pursue a solution.

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 10:43 AM
If the problem never appears to you, is it a problem? Those who think this is an issue can pursue a solution.

I see where you are coming from. I personally was not concerned because it did not happen to me. My job is to fix broken shit. Sometimes a problem comes across that I had never seen. But it is there, and I have to acknowledge that and fix it. In the back of my head I know it can happen. Even if it’s 1% of the time. It still a real issue.

But it is a problem for some folks. Just because it may not happen to us personally does not mean we can ignore it or pretend it is not real. (Not saying you are pretending) this is a legitimate deal breaker for them. I agree whole heartedly with that.

Jeffw78
05-22-2019, 10:53 AM
I remember reading about this type of thing back in one of the early gen 5 threads.
The day i brought my gen 5 19 home i ordered a spare oem trigger and housing. I've been fortuneate as at 2700 rounds my trigger is still fine. The spare parts are still in their plastic bags in case i need them someday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
05-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Let's not go down the P-07 rabbit hole in this thread about Glocks. (I already derailed a P-10 thread revisiting that discussion).

I think it is interesting that even a very mature platform like Glock still has some bugs. It just isn't easy to design and manufacture a gun that is reliable and maintains perfect function over 50k+ rounds. It took some very clever engineering to make a Glock come close to that with low-cost manufacturing techniques.

I still trust Glock more than any other gun. But, at this point I trust my well-vetted Gen4s more than the Gen5s or my 43.

JonInWA
05-22-2019, 12:44 PM
I don't recall Gen 3 or Gen4 Glocks having this issue, either. Galling could be induced by lack of lubrication and use, but I've not heard of flaking.

I'm wondering if the component was set up for the DLC coating, and Glock went with a less expensive coating for the regular Gen5 Glocks? I also wonder what the G19X has on their triggerbars.

On the M models, which internals were DLC coated?

Best, Jon

RJ
05-22-2019, 01:59 PM
I did the following in December, seemed to help a lot.

I just located the 39701 Trigger with Trigger Bar I’d taken out in Dec. This had 3,205 rounds and was original to my early G19.5:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/851f2f8872cc3b48b42cd4c8d0d54420.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my two Glocks. Yeah so it does not exactly have HK level of fit and finish. They have not ever failed to go BANG; and I'm maybe up to 5,500 rounds on both (I know, not a lot by standard here). I completely disassembled my G19 using a roll of painters tape and a Glock armorers tool in December for the first time. I like knowing that if my gun gets creepy again, a new set of internal parts is only maybe $30 or so away at Brownells.

I will say it seems to me those that say this problem is common with the Gen 5s are correct, empirically and from memory there do seem to be more than one report of Gen 5's triggers going "off" after a few thousand rounds. I don't have the timeline that you guys have with Gen 2/3/4 Glocks and would defer to your thoughts on these. As a noob shooter though I am ok with mine.

I keep musing about "well, I need to buy one of these cool accesories!" or "I need to get a Sig P365!" or "I need to buy a .22 for training!" when what I really need to do is drag my butt off the couch, get to the gym, re-start my Dry Practice Regimen, order some ammo and sign up for some matches. With my Glock 19 that I have in the safe. Sigh. :(

HeavyDuty
05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Is anyone offering aftermarket DLC coating of Glock components? Just curious.

ASH556
05-22-2019, 02:27 PM
So the visit to Glock was fairly drama-free. The armorer I spoke to was a bit stiff, but not overtly rude. He questioned my choice of sights (Dawson Adjustable Tritiums), and then told me the whole problem was because the trigger bar had been re-installed incorrectly. I asked him if he could show me to do it correctly and the answer was, "No, but I'm sure you can find a video on youtube."

I don't know if he replaced the trigger bar or not, but the problem existed before I ever pushed the pins out of that frame (Monday morning) and still extisted after I re-assembled it.

Whatever, it's gone now and the trigger feels great. Time will tell. Now I need to adjust my sights a bit it seems:

https://i.imgur.com/O4zNLYkl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/po8UcPwl.jpg

HeavyDuty
05-22-2019, 02:41 PM
So the visit to Glock was fairly drama-free. The armorer I spoke to was a bit stiff, but not overtly rude. He questioned my choice of sights (Dawson Adjustable Tritiums), and then told me the whole problem was because the trigger bar had been re-installed incorrectly. I asked him if he could show me to do it correctly and the answer was, "No, but I'm sure you can find a video on youtube."

I don't know if he replaced the trigger bar or not, but the problem existed before I ever pushed the pins out of that frame (Monday morning) and still extisted after I re-assembled it.

Whatever, it's gone now and the trigger feels great. Time will tell. Now I need to adjust my sights a bit it seems:

Pardon my French, but what a dick!

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Glock knows this is a problem. This is why they build guns with coated parts. We need the coated parts readily available. I get it they are saving money, but give me the option to buy the good stuff. I’ll throw the stock parts in a bin just in case.

Clusterfrack
05-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Glock knows this is a problem. This is why they build guns with coated parts. We need the coated parts readily available. I get it they are saving money, but give me the option to buy the good stuff. I’ll throw the stock parts in a bin just in case.

I don’t like that at all. It reminds me of companies having two lines of guns (eg Rem 870)—one for people who actually use the guns, and one for Bubba and Billybob who don’t.

Glock needs to make all of their guns equally durable.

HeavyDuty
05-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Having the OEM coated parts available would be the best option, I agree.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
I don’t like that at all. It reminds me of companies having two lines of guns (eg Rem 870)—one for people who actually use the guns, and one for Bubba and Billybob who don’t.

I don't think it's really anything more than a product of an agency testing the guns thoroughly then reporting back their issues with it, then the maker offers the solution to win the contract. In this case, it would seem rather than coming out and offering it on all new firearms they chose not to share the love in the interest of cost savings or maybe just a 'good enough' kind of attitude.

This reminds me of the case of H&K having a similar thing happen with certain agencies dunking completely assembled pistols into ultrasonic cleaners and then wiped off and put back into service. Needless to say corrosion would soon follow along with complaints of problems

In which case H&K started putting their special Maritime finish on all the internals for their ENTIRE pistol line from that point forward. They didn't just say, "Well, the problem here is isolated to these departments boneheaded approach to maintenance, so we'll just quietly use a better finish for them. They just quietly upgraded their entire pistol line moving forward to use the same finish on the internals.

Guess who gets my business for all pistols I might need moving forward? It's not a matter of what gun doesn't have problems, it's a matter of what company really CARES to do the right thing for their entire customer base knowing that these are more than just toys and people actually stake their life on them.

wvincent
05-22-2019, 04:06 PM

And this is why I just stepped back from the edge. I was literally 45 minutes from purchasing a G45 with Bolds at my my LGS.
Think I will just let things simmer a bit.

Now, I'm no tier 1 operator, but if I need to use a Glock to defend my life, I'm no less important than any FBI Agent in the same circumstance.

ranger
05-22-2019, 05:05 PM
I have been to Glock Smyrna multiple times with multiple Gen 3 Glocks - 17s and 19s, and one Gen 2 Glock 17 (I worked nearby so very easy access). I had bought all these used - I asked for an "inspection". In my experience, an inspection = tear down the Glock, pull out all small parts, install all new small parts, test fire, and return to customer in waiting area. Seldom times I also paid Glock to install their "factory" night sights while "inspecting" - usually about $55. I also asked for mags to be inspected and usually got a new mag exchanged for my old one.

I have not been to Glock Smyrna in several years as I am a heretic and went down the M&P path - things may have changed. (Still have multiple Gen 3 Glocks though).

I have a G34 Gen 3 I shot in USPSA/IDPA for quite a while and never had this type of "fire control" issue.

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 05:37 PM
I have zero concerns buying a civvie Glock. This is the main issue I have heard of and it is easily rectified. Glocks are cheap to buy and have cheap cost of ownership. More so than any other brand. By a long shot. Clean it, lube it, inspect it, use it.

Don’t fucking pull some off the wall legitimately cheap piece of shit on me either. Glocks are not expensive.

Make the parts available to all of us, that is what I ask.

GJM
05-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Before we discuss a fix, has the exact problem been identified?

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Before we discuss a fix, has the exact problem been identified?

Trigger bars flaking. Lots of pics of the problems from lots of people. This was also in another thread. Dude kinda got shut out though when he voiced his concerns.

And Glock already has a fix in the M series guns. Coated internals. Maybe the feds found some things and some stuff and had Glock rectify it for the contract.

JonInWA
05-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Makes me a little less eager to jump into the Gen5 pool until this is resolved.

Best, Jon

Trukinjp13
05-22-2019, 09:40 PM
I am not trying to be a dick. But. There is a entire thread of how to make 1911s run and all the work involved with keeping them up to snuff. But since Glock has a spotty trigger bar problem that is extremely easy to fix and does not put the gun out of commission. Let’s not buy one, It may need tinkering [emoji2359]. This is NOT a big deal. And most do not seem to experience the issue.

I love 1911s by the way.

SW CQB 45
05-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Correct me if I am wrong....

if the consensus is wanting coated parts like the "M"

shouldn't the parts be smooth first?

coating a stamped jagged part does nothing for trigger press smoothness.

GJM
05-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Something to keep in mind is Glock ships about one million pistols a year. Even if the issue is very small, there will be a lot more Glock pistols exhibiting this problem then if from a lower volume manufacturer. It only takes a relatively small number of reports on the internet, until the sky appears to be falling. The problem first popped up on PF about a year ago with some pistols owned by M2cattle. It seemed to then go into remission, and now about a year later, it has come back on the forum. As I understand it, the problem results in a grittier, heavier trigger pull, but the pistol still goes bang. Assuming the trigger bar is the culprit, and you don’t want to deal with Glock, a replacement Gen 5 trigger bar is all of $15 from Glockmeister. For now, consider it a wear item. On pre Gen 5 pistols, people were spending money on connectors, barrels, extractors, magwells and other parts, none of which seem to be necessary on Gen 5 pistols.

parishioner
05-23-2019, 12:25 AM
I know Greg Bell noted in one of his threads experiencing trigger bar flaking in his G19.5 between 1500-1800rds back in ‘07. Described it as a sudden increase in trigger pull weight.

I have a G17.5 with only 800rds but no problems thus far.

RAM Engineer
05-23-2019, 06:10 AM
I know Greg Bell noted in one of his threads experiencing trigger bar flaking in his G19.5 between 1500-1800rds back in ‘07. Described it as a sudden increase in trigger pull weight.

I have a G17.5 with only 800rds but no problems thus far.

Probably not in ‘07...

BehindBlueI's
05-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Now I’m interested in hearing if ANYONE has a high round count Gen5 with NO trigger issues...

I don't have any info on Gen 5, but the "M" guns are holding up great. Several 10k+ guns on the dept with no issues.

Maca
05-23-2019, 08:40 AM
As someone who experienced this issue with my 19x, I can comfortably say that it did not impede function at all. Yes - Glock replaced several parts to fix it, but even if I had to pay out of pocket, in total the cost would be equivalent to 3 boxes of ammo. So not a big deal.

babypanther
05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
I had this issue with my G17 G5. I put an Overwatch Precision trigger and Apex Tactical connector in it. This seems like it has fixed the issue for now.

RAM Engineer
05-23-2019, 09:17 AM
I don't have any info on Gen 5, but the "M" guns are holding up great. Several 10k+ guns on the dept with no issues.

It would be nice if Glock would open up a supply chain of "M" internals to their parts vendors. I'd pay a few extra bucks for the DLC internals. Heck, I'd pay $10 for just a LIST of internal DLC parts with PNs.

EVP
05-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Reading through some of the responses gives me two thoughts...

1) some are making a bigger deal of this then it really is.

2) A vendor who does DLC needs to strike while the iron is hot at P-F. Who does DLC coatings? Would they do a batch of packages like Robars Norton special.

GJM
05-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Some seem to be assuming that coating the internal parts is the fix. It would be helpful to evaluate issues with pistols with those coated parts, and compare rates to the regular OEM parts pistols.

Doc_Glock
05-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Some seem to be assuming that coating the internal parts is the fix. It would be helpful to evaluate issues with pistols with those coated parts, and compare rates to the regular OEM parts pistols.

My understanding is that M2CattleCo had his internals NP3 coated and still had the issue.

Trukinjp13
05-23-2019, 10:41 AM
The M FBI guns seem to be working out with no issues. But what did Glock do different for the coated parts? This to me is the big question. Were they stripped and coated, different manufacturing process beforehand etc. Can anyone who has access to the M gun see if there is a different part number maybe?

I thought I read a while back that the 19x has coated internals. Contract gun that is.

GJM
05-23-2019, 10:42 AM
My understanding is that M2CattleCo had his internals NP3 coated and still had the issue.

I bet a PF dollar that the problem is multifactorial. There is flaking on the trigger bar, interference with the ambi slide stop, crap in the striker channel, and in need of lubrication in various reports that I have read. There is also likely tolerance stacking, improper reassembly, that these are relatively crude parts and the bazillion pistols Glock makes that all factor in to enough occurrences to get the internet buzzing.

I just ran into an issue with an aftermarket trigger in a VP9, and that was definitely multifactorial!

LittleLebowski
05-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Yea maybe but doubt you can get it like this.

https://glocktriggers.com/product/guardian/

How much of that do you think is actually a functional upgrade?

HeavyDuty
05-23-2019, 11:48 AM

2) A vendor who does DLC needs to strike while the iron is hot at P-F. Who does DLC coatings? Would they do a batch of packages like Robars Norton special.

Not sure I agree about 1) - quite a few of us have had our Gen5 triggers degenerate into a gritty mess.

Definitely agree on 2). There is a thread on ARFCOM where someone did just that, i need to contact the poster to find out who did it for him. He was talking it cost him $15 a component.

dontshakepandas
05-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Overwatch Precision gen 5 triggers come with NP3 coated OEM trigger bars Wich could be a possible solution as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RJ
05-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Overwatch Precision gen 5 triggers come with NP3 coated OEM trigger bars Wich could be a possible solution as well.

With the Overwatch trigger in my G19.5, the trigger is smooth as buttah. I can’t see it for carry, as the SCD won’t work with it. But for range or competition use it’s really nice.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190523/d281e5317bfc2c1a57606b130c0e4a56.jpg

dontshakepandas
05-23-2019, 05:20 PM
With the Overwatch trigger in my G19.5, the trigger is smooth as buttah. I can’t see it for carry, as the SCD won’t work with it. But for range or competition use it’s really nice.The SCD can be modified to work with the overwatch trigger pretty easily.

RJ
05-23-2019, 05:27 PM
The SCD can be modified to work with the overwatch trigger pretty easily.

It’s ok. It’s a range gun. I defer to Tom_Jones on anything related to the SCD and Overwatch Triggers. Until Tom offers a design compatible with the Overwatch, I’ll pass thanks.

wvincent
05-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Maybe I'm just being high maintenance, but I expect a 5th generation Glock to work absolutely, straight out of the box. "Perfection" shouldn't involve me sending parts off for treatment, nor should I have to stand by the mailbox waiting for aftermarket trigger parts.

The only difference that I know of between the M models, and the Gen 5 is the dlc coating (or is it ndlc?).

Hmmm, seems like a clue to me.

RJ
05-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Maybe I'm just being high maintenance, but I expect a 5th generation Glock to work absolutely, straight out of the box. "Perfection" shouldn't involve me sending parts off for treatment, nor should I have to stand by the mailbox waiting for aftermarket trigger parts.

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation.

I love my Gen 5 Glocks (I sold two HKs when I converted to Glock) but it did bug me a bit hearing the stories of crunchy stack-ey triggers. Then it happened to my G19. Having said that I never noticed it shooting under pressure, like in a match.

But as has been said, if you consider the Trigger and Trigger Bar a wear part, it’s fairly cheap / easy to keep it running smoothly.

And of course the vast majority of handguns will never see beyond a box of ammo, let alone the kind of round counts the typical p-f member shoots annually.

So I can see the accountants at Glock doing the calculations and concluding coated parts are an unnecessary unit cost expense they could do without, and avoid the affect on the corporate bottom line.

Police and .mil contracts, maybe they need, or specify, coated parts and Glock supplies them. I sure would consider buying Glock OEM coated parts if they were offered. I was kind of amazed how, what’s the best word, agricultural? the Glock internals were, when I took mine apart the first time. It is kind of surprising how well it works despite that. Squeeze = Bang, every single time.

JBP55
05-23-2019, 06:03 PM

The only difference that I know of between the M models, and the Gen 5 is the dlc coating (or is it ndlc?).

All of my Gen 5 Glock triggers have worked fine but none have a high round count.
I polish trigger components, clean and lubricate each pistol before firing and so far no trigger issues.
I have not seen any issues with the several dozen Gen 5 Glocks I have worked on which is a small sample.

HeavyDuty
05-23-2019, 07:58 PM
I finally got around to detail stripping the slide on my 45 and found more smeg in the firing pin channel than expected. The trigger is fine now, the majority of my grit was trigger bar interference with the right side of the slide release.

HeavyDuty
05-23-2019, 08:06 PM

I keep coming back to this. How in hell can a trigger bar be incorrectly installed?

GJM
05-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Do you have any idea of the rate of trigger complaints for Gen 5 compared the M pistols — without that information, isn’t it hard to know the effect of the coating? If the user specifying internal coating discontinued that, would it blow our minds?

I finally got around to detail stripping the slide on my 45 and found more smeg in the firing pin channel than expected. The trigger is fine now, the majority of my grit was trigger bar interference with the right side of the slide release.

Sure seems like this might be more complicated than “parts need to be coated?”

HeavyDuty
05-23-2019, 08:15 PM

I still think coating would be beneficial.

EJO
05-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Something to keep in mind is Glock ships about one million pistols a year. Even if the issue is very small, there will be a lot more Glock pistols exhibiting this problem then if from a lower volume manufacturer. It only takes a relatively small number of reports on the internet, until the sky appears to be falling. The problem first popped up on PF about a year ago with some pistols owned by M2cattle. It seemed to then go into remission, and now about a year later, it has come back on the forum. As I understand it, the problem results in a grittier, heavier trigger pull, but the pistol still goes bang. Assuming the trigger bar is the culprit, and you don’t want to deal with Glock, a replacement Gen 5 trigger bar is all of $15 from Glockmeister. For now, consider it a wear item. On pre Gen 5 pistols, people were spending money on connectors, barrels, extractors, magwells and other parts, none of which seem to be necessary on Gen 5 pistols.

My work 19.5 has 7455 rounds through it. No issues or problems whatsoever. I have another 19.5 with a little over 5000 without issue. I find the gen5 line to be boringly reliable.

I do clean them regularly and I apply a small amount of slip 2000 grease to the trigger bar/ connector. I’ve done this with some brand of grease since the gen2 line.

Jay Cunningham
05-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Very informative thread - thanks all.

wvincent
05-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Do you have any idea of the rate of trigger complaints for Gen 5 compared the M pistols — without that information, isn’t it hard to know the effect of the coating? If the user specifying internal coating discontinued that, would it blow our minds?

You know, your right. On both counts.
I haven't bought a Glock since my Model 26 Gen 4. Using that as a baseline and the comments above, to hell with it. I'll roll the dice on that G45.

But, I will be a lot more attuned on the lube and inspection side of things.
We'll see about that "perfection".

Thanks for your help.

Mike C
05-23-2019, 11:35 PM
ASH556, I'm not saying this is you or anyone else on this board, I'm just thinking out loud. I am curious if some people are polishing their trigger bar and experiencing flaking/shitty trigger as a result, or if it happens earlier/at all, or if it's a bad batch. Pardon if this has been posted previously, maybe I'll hand polish where the connector meets the trigger bar as see what happens with one of mine.

UNM1136
05-24-2019, 04:29 AM
I keep coming back to this. How in hell can a trigger bar be incorrectly installed?

Not the trigger bar, but....

I have seen an couple of instances of out of spec connectors, from a "name" provider, that quietly pulled them from the website when it was brought to their attention that the connector was out of spec. I have seen 2 other instances, and it was briefly mentioned in my last armorer's course, that either not pressing the connector fully into the trigger housing OR detail stripping the gun too many times can cause the steel connector to wobble in in the polymer trigger housing. Any of these would cause different wear to the connector/trigger bar as the trigger was articulated, and led to a stacking, multiple wall trigger press described here. On one gun the stacking got bad enough to lock the gun up completely during a course of fire.

Not saying that this was the issue, but it is an issue that I have run into in the past. When I had my problems I sent it to three Glock Armorers who had no clue of what was going on. About six years later I went to my first armorer's course, and the issue was addressed as a sidebar in a conversation with the instructor, and it seemed to be a little known about problem outside of Smyrna. When one of my shooters was complaining about the once sweet trigger in his G35 getting heavier and less consistent on the release I ordered him a new connector and trigger housing, and trigger bar, and the gun shot like new.

pat

Clusterfrack
05-24-2019, 10:26 AM
ASH556, I'm not saying this is you or anyone else on this board, I'm just thinking out loud. I am curious if some people are polishing their trigger bar and experiencing flaking/shitty trigger as a result, or if it happens earlier/at all, or if it's a bad batch. Pardon if this has been posted previously, maybe I'll hand polish where the connector meets the trigger bar as see what happens with one of mine.

My G43 trigger bar got flakey all by itself, without any polishing, after about 1300 rounds plus a bunch of dryfire.

GJM
05-24-2019, 10:57 AM
My G43 trigger bar got flakey all by itself, without any polishing, after about 1300 rounds plus a bunch of dryfire.

Did you change it out, and if so, how has it been since?

wvincent
05-24-2019, 11:15 AM

What is your clean/lube schedule like? Only asking so I can set some minimums for myself.

Clusterfrack
05-24-2019, 11:20 AM
What is your clean/lube schedule like? Only asking so I can set some minimums for myself.

For competition guns, every 2000 rounds or before a major match.

For training guns, maybe every 3000 or so?

For carry guns, after every range session.

Clusterfrack
05-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Did you change it out, and if so, how has it been since?

No, I haven't got around to it. I haven't been carrying the 43. A very small amount of Lucas marine grease made the trigger feel fine.

M2CattleCo
05-24-2019, 01:56 PM
I bet a PF dollar that the problem is multifactorial. There is flaking on the trigger bar, interference with the ambi slide stop, crap in the striker channel, and in need of lubrication in various reports that I have read. There is also likely tolerance stacking, improper reassembly, that these are relatively crude parts and the bazillion pistols Glock makes that all factor in to enough occurrences to get the internet buzzing.

I just ran into an issue with an aftermarket trigger in a VP9, and that was definitely multifactorial!

All of that.

Life's too short for all that nonsense.

M2CattleCo
05-24-2019, 01:57 PM

I'd say that when the trigger doesn't reset far enough to engage the drop safety, it's time to prioritize fixing it.

EVP
05-24-2019, 02:42 PM
I'd say that when the trigger doesn't reset far enough to engage the drop safety, it's time to prioritize fixing it.

I totally agree and that is not acceptable.

I was more or less talking about blowing things out of proportion.

deputyG23
05-24-2019, 03:35 PM
All this angst about Gen 5 Glocks is making me even more content with my Gen 2 17 and 19.
Work will probably switch to them in about two years. Might be prudent to push the M models to the command staff if we can get them.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Beginning to wonder if this isn't really just lack of lubrication in many instances. Curious, does anybody who has had this problem know how often they have placed a drop of oil on the cupped palm part of the trigger assembly? This oiling point is important and was mentioned specifically in 'Making Glock's Rock' by T.R. Graham/AGI. I would imagine a light grease might be even better at this job than oil, but the oil is easier to apply (does not require detail stripping.

HeavyDuty
05-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Beginning to wonder if this isn't really just lack of lubrication in many instances. Curious, does anybody who has had this problem know how often they have placed a drop of oil on the cupped palm part of the trigger assembly? This oiling point is important and was mentioned specifically in 'Making Glock's Rock' by T.R. Graham/AGI. I would imagine a light grease might be even better at this job than oil, but the oil is easier to apply (does not require detail stripping.

Cupped palm part?

Greg Bell
05-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Same here, my early G5 G19 trigger fell apart around 2k. Everyone assured me it was just an issue with the very first guns. I guess not.

Never had this issue with numerous G17, 19 etc gen 3

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Cupped palm part?

I believe it is the top left tab of the connector, as shown in this photo. It points straight up when looking at the frame from the top.

https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-Factory-Connector

You just turn the frame so the the 'cupped palm' faces upward and put a drop of oil in the 'palm' and let it run down for a mintute or so.

It's been a while since I've had Glock's or watched the video referenced so I may not be 100% that it is the connector but I am pretty sure.

HeavyDuty
05-25-2019, 04:05 PM
I believe it is the top left tab of the connector, as shown in this photo. It points straight up when looking at the frame from the top.

https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-Factory-Connector

You just turn the frame so the the 'cupped palm' faces upward and put a drop of oil in the 'palm' and let it run down for a mintute or so.

It's been a while since I've had Glock's or watched the video referenced so I may not be 100% that it is the connector but I am pretty sure.

Ok, thanks - I’ve just never heard it referred that way. That’s one of my regular lube points.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Ok, thanks - I’ve just never heard it referred that way. That’s one of my regular lube points.

That's how he described it, just was how I remembered it... I know it sounds a little silly. I never actually lubed my Glock's there when I had them, I did also have some pretty (what I felt) bad trigger pulls even by Glock standards at the time (gen 3/4)... heavy, gritty, etc. I do think I remember seeing some pretty good wear on the rear of the trigger bar where it contacted the connector, but it has been quite awhile to be sure.

45dotACP
05-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Out of curiosity...what effect does the channel liner have? Because mine just fell out of my G19 while I was cleaning it.

RJ
05-25-2019, 04:35 PM
With the Overwatch trigger in my G19.5, the trigger is smooth as buttah. I can’t see it for carry, as the SCD won’t work with it. But for range or competition use it’s really nice.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190523/d281e5317bfc2c1a57606b130c0e4a56.jpg

I did a detail cleaning on my Glock 19.5 tonight. In order to add a data point to this discussion, vis a vis the "coated parts" comment, below is a picture of my Overwatch Trigger, installed in December.

So this is what it looks like, at 948 rounds:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190525/ec57a4b43f82523556adb94ba7421b05.jpg

RJ
05-25-2019, 04:40 PM

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but this is pretty much covered in the Glock Instructions for Use, Chapter 10. It is on page 30 in my booklet:

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-25-2019, 05:23 PM
They also put a lot of maintenance intervals in auto owner's manuals, that doesn't mean people even read the things let alone actually check off all the jobs at each maintenance interval. From what I've seen, for your average person I'd be surprised if they did anything more than an oil change and tire rotation until something breaks.

I have a suspicion many shooter's are the same way when it comes to maintaining their guns. I speak from firsthand experience with this, I recently realized I hadn't changed the engine air filter in my car from when I bought it brand new 100,000 miles ago. Did my car die? No, obviously... but it has been starved for oxygen the last 60,000 miles... which can't be good for longevity mechanically.

Thank you for pointing it out in the manual, like I said I never oiled that point more than once while I had my Glocks.... hopefully by posting that bit others will at least ask themselves if it's something they've ever done before looking elsewhere for answers. When it comes to troubleshooting you always start with the easiest things first, no matter how mundane or obvious they may seem.

HeavyDuty
05-25-2019, 05:37 PM
25 years of shooting Glocks taught me that the single best thing you can do for them is regular lubrication.

Doc_Glock
05-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Out of curiosity...what effect does the channel liner have? Because mine just fell out of my G19 while I was cleaning it.

I had a similar one that was the cause of a gritty trigger. If it isn’t causing problems with the feel of the trigger, falling out is no big deal.

RJ
05-25-2019, 05:54 PM
When it comes to troubleshooting you always start with the easiest things first, no matter how mundane or obvious they may seem.

There is no doubt about this. :)

45dotACP
05-25-2019, 08:04 PM
I had a similar one that was the cause of a gritty trigger. If it isn’t causing problems with the feel of the trigger, falling out is no big deal.It has probably one of the worst triggers of any Glock I've ever shot. I've very strongly considered just selling it and completely divesting myself of Glocks, but it's the only gun I've got with a mounted optic so I am hesitant. Also I am against selling guns on principal.

SW CQB 45
05-25-2019, 09:58 PM
It has probably one of the worst triggers of any Glock I've ever shot. I've very strongly considered just selling it and completely divesting myself of Glocks, but it's the only gun I've got with a mounted optic so I am hesitant. Also I am against selling guns on principal.

At one point I had to manage over 100 G21s..... so I got to see alot of different stuff.

if a firing pin sleeve came out on its own.... I would make sure an assembled firing pin moved freely through the sleeve.

Alot of times, a built up edge or slag would cause interference once installed.

if the firing pin does not move freely while holding the trigger (armorers shake).... I found it to be a sleeve, or reseting of the cups.

I damaged quite a few new sleeves during install using that stupid threaded tool. I have not messed with a sleeve in years.... I hope they make a better tool now.

hope this helps.

ydennekb
05-26-2019, 12:55 AM
My G19.5 has 1200 rounds through it and has developed a third stage during the trigger pull. I detail stripped it and the end of the trigger bar that contacts the connector shows similar wear to a few shown here, firing pin channel and sleeve are fine, firing pin safety looks good as well. I put light grease between the slide release and trigger bar and a bit on the connector and the end of the trigger bar. Oiled everything requiring it and reassembled, trigger feels better but still has the extra stage. I’d really like to figure this out before swapping parts, and honestly it hasn’t affected my mediocre shooting abilities yet either.

Zman001
05-26-2019, 02:49 AM

10k on a 19x. Only issues was that the slide stop was flaking, but the trigger felt fine

Edit, the flaking started at about 8.5k

WobblyPossum
05-26-2019, 08:14 AM
I haven’t been able to shoot either of my Gen5 G19s this year so their round count hasn’t been able to reach very high. One is at 3000 and the other is at 4500. Neither has started displaying this trigger issue. The one with 3000 rounds is from September 2017 before the frames matched the slides. The one with 4500 is from either January or February 2018 and has the frame radiused to match the frame. I don’t believe either has the breechface cut.

GJM
05-26-2019, 08:42 AM
We have five or six Gen 5 34 pistols, that my wife has shot nearly every day since fall, and they are all fine.

ASH556
05-26-2019, 09:34 AM
How about we just see the situation for what it is and don’t make it something it isn’t. Some Glock pistols had issues with the trigger bars.

Does it make the gun not work? No.
Is it a large scale epidemic? No.
Is it easy and inexpensive to fix if you happen to encounter it? Yes.

As to the installation part: this show it. The cruciform has to go under the “hook.”

HeavyDuty
05-26-2019, 10:35 AM
How about we just see the situation for what it is and don’t make it something it isn’t. Some Glock pistols had issues with the trigger bars.

Does it make the gun not work? No.
Is it a large scale epidemic? No.
Is it easy and inexpensive to fix if you happen to encounter it? Yes.

As to the installation part: this show it. The cruciform has to go under the “hook.”

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was thinking he was referring to something more subtle.

Patrin
05-26-2019, 12:46 PM
By the time you DLC coat the components necessary - you’re then North of the cost of a VP9 LE w/ NS & 3 mags. A gun that works.

I get the love for Glocks, but at some point (like I reached), it’s enough.

Trukinjp13
05-26-2019, 01:21 PM
By the time you DLC coat the components necessary - you’re then North of the cost of a VP9 LE w/ NS & 3 mags. A gun that works.

But a vp9 will never be able to do what a G19 can in concealment. It also costs a lot more money for magazines, spare parts. Holsters are harder to come by and sight options are nowhere close, esp in the suppressors height/buis options. Vp9 has no gadget and if I remember correctly there were a few with a dead trigger issue back when. My Glock has been perfect while my vp9 had issues in the first 300 rounds.

If I do not want a Glock I would buy a p10c over a Vp9. Lighter,smaller and imo better trigger.

No gun is perfect. Glock gives you the most options in a lightweight reliable package.

Patrin
05-26-2019, 02:25 PM
But a vp9 will never be able to do what a G19 can in concealment. It also costs a lot more money for magazines, spare parts. Holsters are harder to come by and sight options are nowhere close, esp in the suppressors height/buis options. Vp9 has no gadget and if I remember correctly there were a few with a dead trigger issue back when. My Glock has been perfect while my vp9 had issues in the first 300 rounds.

If I do not want a Glock I would buy a p10c over a Vp9. Lighter,smaller and imo better trigger.

No gun is perfect. Glock gives you the most options in a lightweight reliable package.

Glock is not reliable, nor is it perfection =14 pages of discussion.

- Concealment is a wash. Need more? VP9SK w/ +2 mags. Done.

- $ for magazines - the P30 magazine...arguably the most reliable pistol magazine on earth. A better investment than chasing BTF fixes or magic
coatings.

- Parts? You don't need them. Maintenance cycle is every 25K. Get spare RSA to have on hand.

- Holsters? Plenty to choose from.

- Sights? All the 'necessary' sight options, suppressor included, are provided by HK (mepro), Heine, 10-8, Dawson, etc.

Gadget is not necessary, but a comfort item. For you. Never heard of the dead trigger, and you will have issues with any HK pistol if you feed it weak AE 115 grain in the initial 300 rounds. Full powered for first 300, then one can run whatever garbage ammo they like.

...three personal Glock 19's and all failed. A thread like this confirms Glock still hasn't learned.

HCM
05-26-2019, 02:38 PM

- $ for magazines - the P30 magazine...arguably the most reliable pistol magazine on earth. A better investment than chasing BTF fixes or magic
coatings.

- Parts? You don't need them. Maintenance cycle is every 25K. Get spare RSA to have on hand.

- Sights? All the 'necessary' sight options, suppressor included, are provided by HK (mepro), Heine, 10-8, Dawson, etc.

Gadget is not necessary, but a comfort item. For you. Never heard of the dead trigger, and you will have issues with any HK pistol if you feed it weak AE 115 grain in the initial 300 rounds. Full powered for first 300, then one can run whatever garbage ammo they like.

...three personal Glock 19's and all failed. A thread like this confirms Glock still hasn't learned.

Without going to far off the rails, I’m glad your VP9s work but the VP9 /VP40 has some fleas too, just like everything else.

Signed - a guy who broke a USPC....

Personally I would pay a reasonable premium for a Glock M model or a P320 with the M17/M18/DHS contract coatings on the internals.

Patrin
05-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Signed - a guy who broke a USPC....

Should I congratulate you or put up a sad face. :cool:

My interjection was not to say HK is perfect. They do right by the customer. Engineered, ready to deliver products that are not trouble-shooted by the end user - with the proper coatings (maritime for all, not for some).

I found this wanting by Glock, and the response to past BTF issues. I left SIG as well when they cheapened their P-Series line w/ substandard parts.

HCM, you shouldn't have to pay a premium for a DLC coated Glock or a TDP 320. It should be the standard.

Ultimately, as end users, perhaps we should start supporting a company with the right ethos.

Trukinjp13
05-26-2019, 03:45 PM

coatings.

Never said it was perfection. But I believe that Glocks are reliable pistols.

Vp9sk is not comparable to a g19 to me sorry. If I want a small grip I can use a g26. I guess the millions sold each year mean nothing.

The dead trigger issue was on this very forum.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26543-VP9-dead-trigger-due-to-impact-issue-(split-from-Personal-SIG-320-Journey-thread)
There have been other issues with the VP series pistols. They ain’t perfect either.

Sorry you had bad experiences. But so far the only real wrinkle in the gen 5 is easily fixed for cheap and once again it does not put the gun down. You don’t like em okay. But don’t shit on them and pretend they are unreliable garbage. Or somehow a HK is comparable in cost of ownership. I have had both and the VP9 was a very easy to shoot gun. But there were too many cons for me. And no mine did not choke just on 115 grn. It was 147 grn. It was okay after a “break in” period but my CZ/Glocks never needed break in.

Do we need a gadget nope. But it sure is nice having it. I also prefer the simplicity of the Glock.

I have never had a btf with any of my Gen 5s and as long as you use factory mags they work damn good.

Patrin
05-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Gen5’s run better...now. Glock addressed a known design flaw in the Gen4...after many years and many denials. AH556 takes a trip to Smyrna and the result, by the reading, is not an acknowledgement by Glock of a trigger bar issue, but to do what’s consistent, replace all parts and provide poor customer service.

“Cost of ownership” - After Apex parts, aftermarket plungers, special coatings and unpredictable parts replacement regimens - indeed - the cost to own an HK is lower than a Glock.

GJM
05-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Gen5’s run better...now. Glock addressed a known design flaw in the Gen4...after many years and many denials. AH556 takes a trip to Smyrna and the result, by the reading, is not an acknowledgement by Glock of a trigger bar issue, but to do what’s consistent, replace all parts and provide poor customer service.

“Cost of ownership” - After Apex parts, aftermarket plungers, special coatings and unpredictable parts replacement regimens - indeed - the cost to own an HK is lower than a Glock.

I love my HK pistols, but every brand pistol has its pros and cons. Showing up in a Glock thread (it could be any brand), not to offer specific solutions but to generally bash Glock pistols, it not going to change any minds, especially those with a significant commitment to Glock pistols. No different than someone showing up in the VP9-B thread to say HK sucks because there is still no optics ready factory offering. It seems like every few pages in this thread, we get a drive by post bashing Glock. I guess the flip side, is if the biggest knock on Gen 5 guns is you might have to change a $15 trigger bar, things aren’t too bad now in Glock world.

Clusterfrack
05-26-2019, 04:47 PM
I have 5 Gen4 Glocks, with high round counts. I had 2 more G4 34s that I sold, which had upward of 50k. All have been highly reliable and did not require aftermarket parts to make them work right.

I have a lot of confidence in these guns.

Patrin
05-26-2019, 05:06 PM
GJM - I did offer a solution. VP9. ;)

Between user reports and Glock's response, well, there it is - I held out for 14 pages.

Back to my reading.

GJM
05-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Between user reports and Glock's response, well, there it is - I held out for 14 pages.

Back to my reading.

I wish HK would get busy and bring out an Optics Ready model and better support the sear, so it is resistant to doctors with mallets. The VP series are my favorite shooting strikers.

HCM
05-26-2019, 06:30 PM

My interjection was not to say HK is perfect. They do right by the customer. Engineered, ready to deliver products that are not trouble-shooted by the end user - with the proper coatings (maritime for all, not for some).

I found this wanting by Glock, and the response to past BTF issues. I left SIG as well when they cheapened their P-Series line w/ substandard parts.

HCM, you shouldn't have to pay a premium for a DLC coated Glock or a TDP 320. It should be the standard.

Ultimately, as end users, perhaps we should start supporting a company with the right ethos.

What ever Glocks other issues, they did actually fix BTF in the Gen 5 guns, particularly the newest versions with the new breach face cut.

The M / MHS coatings should be standard but they add cost and the manufacturs are targeting the average buyer not the hard use buyer. There have always been different grades of guns, I’m ok with paying a slight premium for the hard use version. There is no compelling reason for these to be gov/agency only. If they can do multiple skus Godspeed isl colors and celebrity gun trainer editions they cans do a hard use edition.

GJM
05-26-2019, 06:58 PM
What ever Glocks other issues, they did actually fix BTF in the Gen 5 guns, particularly the newest versions with the new breach face cut.

The M / MHS coatings should be standard but they add cost and the manufacturs are targeting the average buyer not the hard use buyer. There have always been different grades of guns, I’m ok with paying a slight premium for the hard use version. There is no compelling reason for these to be gov/agency only. If they can do multiple skus Godspeed isl colors and celebrity gun trainer editions they cans do a hard use edition.

I asked this some pages back, and don’t believe anyone responded, but is there any data, beyond anecdotal, that the M Glock pistols perform better than regular Gen 5 equivalents? Does anyone know if the M pistols produced in the future will continue to have that special internal coating?

StraitR
05-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Congratulations, you like so many others over on HKpro have made your master race case for HK. This isn’t a Brand X vs Brand Y thread. Please go find a HK thread if you don’t have anything constructive to add to this technical discussion about Glocks.

BehindBlueI's
05-26-2019, 07:31 PM
I asked this some pages back, and don’t believe anyone responded, but is there any data, beyond anecdotal, that the M Glock pistols perform better than regular Gen 5 equivalents? Does anyone know if the M pistols produced in the future will continue to have that special internal coating?

I don't know of any mass testing of Gen 5s. The agency testing has all been the "M". The only teething issues were the wrong/different spring for the disassembly bar causing an issue. I don't know of any "M" pistols from testing or from actual use that have reported the issue. Still anecdotal, I suppose, but seems like lead information.

HCM
05-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Not that is public. But, hypothetically if a large agency that issues M models tested Gen 5 G26s because there is no 26M, they might find the M models triggers broke in and stayed nice while some 26.5 triggers degraded but the guns still worked.

My understanding is the coating on M internals is simply DLC. Several other federal agencies are buying Glock 17/19 Ms off the FBI contract including the DEA, US Marshals, State Dept DSS, and, I believe BATFE so there is a fair demand for them.

CDFIII
05-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Didn’t CBP just adopt Glock Gen 5 26, 19mos and 47mos Guns? I am sure they did a bit of testing. Unless their Gen. 5 guns are getting some special internal coatings I am guessing they are no different than what is currently offered. I could be wrong though.

TC215
05-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Didn’t CBP just adopt Glock Gen 5 26, 19mos and 47mos Guns? I am sure they did a bit of testing. Unless their Gen. 5 guns are getting some special internal coatings I am guessing they are no different than what is currently offered. I could be wrong though.

The CBP guns are not standard Gen5 26’s, not sure about the 19’s.

CDFIII
05-26-2019, 08:55 PM
The CBP guns are not standard Gen5 26’s, not sure about the 19’s.

Now I’m curious.. what’s the differences do you have any insight? Thanks

TC215
05-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Now I’m curious.. what’s the differences do you have any insight? Thanks

The G26 (G26 Mod 1) has FCS and a slightly longer grip with flared magwell, and has an 11 round magazine. They’re also calling the G19 a Mod 1, but I don’t know what changes it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHgbxMqLY0

StraitR
05-26-2019, 10:28 PM
I really hope they bring that 47 to the commercial market. I'd love to piece together a factory 17k. We can only speculate at this point, but I can't see Glock leaving good money on the table. If anything, they'll release it in Bad Boys 2 color format first, sell a pile, then six months later give us the all black model and half the people who bought silver will buy a second one in black. Doubling down on one customer seems to be their marketing strategy as of late.

HeavyDuty
05-26-2019, 10:53 PM

Um, I’m seeing quotes of about $30 to DLC the trigger bar and connector. How do you figure?

HCM
05-27-2019, 01:12 AM
Most mention of flaking/ bad trigger pulls I see are in relation to the end of the trigger bar where it interfaces with the connector.

Has snyone else had the fin that engages the firing pin safety plunger or the plunger itself flake or get chewed up?

I noticed the trigger pull on my 17.4 MOS has been degrading and noticed this damage on the plunger:

ASH556
05-27-2019, 05:42 AM
Most mention of flaking/ bad trigger pulls I see are in relation to the end of the trigger bar where it interfaces with the connector.

Has snyone else had the fin that engages the firing pin safety plunger or the plunger itself flake or get chewed up?

I noticed the trigger pull on my 17.4 MOS has been degrading and noticed this damage on the plunger:

Looks a lot like my Gen 4 17 I posted earlier in this thread.

Super77
05-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Back to my reading.

There’s no Gadget available for the VP9.

Super77
05-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Um, I’m seeing quotes of about $30 to DLC the trigger bar and connector. How do you figure?

Where you seeing that?

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-27-2019, 10:19 AM
My old Gen 3/4 17's looked just like to picture HCM posted when I observed they had some pretty bad trigger pulls. Sure looks like it's just a bad design IMO, you can see where it is obviously the safety plunger corners are taking bites out of the trigger bar. I never noticed the metal shavings in my examples though, but it was definitely rough... although not as bad as your sample.

Crow Hunter
05-27-2019, 10:34 AM

I actually had a 1998ish vintage G23 that did the same thing. The plunger started flaking within the first 150 or less rounds. It did make the trigger a little "crunchy". I peeled the rest of the flaking off and I didn't do anything with it for years. It never demonstrated any additional wear beyond the flaking.

I went to a GSSF match several years later and showed the armorer and he said it wouldn't hurt anything but changed it out anyway. I still have it and it never flaked again.

I assume it was just a bad run of coating.

HCM
05-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Looks a lot like my Gen 4 17 I posted earlier in this thread.

Missed that but yeah, it does.

I’m just gonna swap out the guts and rock on.

HeavyDuty
05-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Where you seeing that?

Guy on ARFCOM that had it done. I’m trying to get details.

SW CQB 45
05-27-2019, 03:49 PM
I see a lot of heavy flaking in G4 G17s

The part referred to the fin on the trigger bar already starts out rough. I see it on brand new guns.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-28-2019, 04:02 PM

Forgive the thread drift, but I want to know more about this... I have VP40 that needs an aftermarket trigger due to my finger placement consistently ending up placed on the top 1/3 of trigger (trigger safety blade requires lower 2/3 placement in order to deactivate and fire). Perhaps there is a better thread to answer this.

camsdaddy
05-28-2019, 06:23 PM
All of my trigger bars have some degree of flaking. They are all gen 3 and gen 4

pangloss
05-28-2019, 07:53 PM
The safety plunger is one part I replaced on several of my Gen2/3/4 pistols. I think the Apex part is better made and marginally improves the trigger pull.

Maybe Glock should pay HK to make Glocks to HK qc specs and then bump the MSRP $150. Would that leave us anything to complain about aside from the price?

BK14
05-28-2019, 09:22 PM
My striker channel liner and spring cups were replaced. The striker channel liner had gotten so dirty that gouges were getting dug into it that prevented the spacer sleeve from being depressed for disassembly.

The trigger had gone to shit too. While taking slack out the trigger felt good, but I’ve at the wall, the rest of the break would stage and was full of grit.

So, armorer replaced the channel liner and spring cups. The trigger press came back to being good.

Trigger bar still looks good.

StraitR
05-28-2019, 09:36 PM
The safety plunger is one part I replaced on several of my Gen2/3/4 pistols. I think the Apex part is better made and marginally improves the trigger pull.

Maybe Glock should pay HK to make Glocks to HK qc specs and then bump the MSRP $150. Would that leave us anything to complain about aside from the price?

Not to jump the shark on the HK vs Glock thing again, but interestingly enough, new HK's can be had cheaper than new Glocks. Just sayin.

GJM
05-28-2019, 09:58 PM
Not to jump the shark on the HK vs Glock thing again, but interestingly enough, new HK's can be had cheaper than new Glocks. Just sayin.

I would love it if HK made Glock pistols for Glock, except we would still be waiting for an Optics Ready pistol, a complete long slide pistol, and most models with a button mag release.

HALO51
05-29-2019, 11:07 AM
I would love it if HK made Glock pistols for Glock, except we would still be waiting for an Optics Ready pistol, a complete long slide pistol, and most models with a button mag release.

I would love to see HK make pistols for Glock. That way the “BETA” testing that Glock does on consumers would stop.

karmapolice
05-29-2019, 12:04 PM
I would love to see HK make pistols for Glock. That way the “BETA” testing that Glock does on consumers would stop.

:rolleyes: yeah because they don't test things at all just rush stuff to the market and let people figure it out.

karmapolice
05-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Oh and since I know Ash556 personally and know what the issue was here it is..... The trigger bar was installed incorrectly on the trigger spring i.e. it was sitting on top and the top part of the crucifix was not engaged under the lip of the newer designed trigger spring. That was the big issue, other stuff happens I'm sure more from non OEM parts and or doing less than recommended things, I;m not saying Glock isn't infallible at all but that was the OP's issue. Maybe he had it in a little bit but it wasn't set right and upon reassembly it came unhooked and just laid on top (gun still works like this but trigger does feel rough).

JHC
05-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Oh and since I know Ash556 personally and know what the issue was here it is..... The trigger bar was installed incorrectly on the trigger spring i.e. it was sitting on top and the top part of the crucifix was not engaged under the lip of the newer designed trigger spring. That was the big issue, other stuff happens I'm sure more from non OEM parts and or doing less than recommended things, I;m not saying Glock isn't infallible at all but that was the OP's issue. Maybe he had it in a little bit but it wasn't set right and upon reassembly it came unhooked and just laid on top (gun still works like this but trigger does feel rough).

Wow mannn, what a buzz kill. :D

Trukinjp13
05-29-2019, 02:26 PM
So the unreliable Glock even works with trigger incorrectly installed [emoji2957][emoji847]

Magsz
05-29-2019, 04:26 PM

You lost me...

Can you provide a picture? If i understand correctly, the "rear" of the trigger bar cruciform was not underneath the little lip that its supposed to nest in?

karmapolice
05-29-2019, 06:15 PM
You lost me...

Can you provide a picture? If i understand correctly, the "rear" of the trigger bar cruciform was not underneath the little lip that its supposed to nest in?

Yep- should look like this but instead was just laying on top.

KevH
06-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I just read through this entire thread and then realized I wasted about 20 min of my life that I'll never get back.

I will say though that it had a little bit of everything...magical coatings...dremel tool shenanigans...metallurgical questioning...government contract conspiracies...H&K Nazis...

All the hallmarks of classic internet gun forum nonsense wrapped into one clean package :D

wvincent
06-04-2019, 10:12 AM
I just read through this entire thread and then realized I wasted about 20 min of my life that I'll never get back.

I will say though that it had a little bit of everything...magical coatings...dremel tool shenanigans...metallurgical questioning...government contract conspiracies...H&K Nazis...

All the hallmarks of classic internet gun forum nonsense wrapped into one clean package :D

Yep, all we needed was a dragon and a blonde chick getting shivved in the throne room, we could have had a masterpiece.

I admit, I got drawn into it a bit, end result: I bought a new G45!:rolleyes:

HCM
06-04-2019, 12:15 PM

You’re just jealous Glock never took you to the Atlanta Gold Club ;-)

deputyG23
06-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Or the Taj Mahal...

RJ
06-04-2019, 02:11 PM

I used to live not far from there.

I’ve eaten next door at the Longhorn on Piedmont.

I’m told it was quite the place in the 80s...