PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Student

jstyer
03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Howdy P-F crew,

This post is mainly directed towards Todd, Southnarc, F2S, Jay, and the many other accomplished and knowledgeable instructors on this forum.

It seems to me, that many discussions focus on AAR's, opinions on instructors, and critiquing the latest instructional video by the latest big name instructors. What is not often discussed is: What makes the perfect student?

So my question is this, when you guys are actively engaged in both one on one and group teaching, what are the characteristics you value most in a student?

Jay Cunningham
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Hopefully this isn't too trite, but I have it on the home page of my website:

Be comfortable in your own skin.

Be aware of your lane and try your best to remain within it.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Extend everyone courtesy but reserve your respect for those who earn it.

That's more my advice to students I suppose. What I like to see is someone who is open to coaching, is attentive, and is patient. Of course it helps a lot if the instructor shares those same traits!

Oh, and BTW, being lumped into the same group as SN, Todd, and Jack is quite nice for my ego, but is unfounded. Those guys all operate at a level above me. I've learned a tremendous amount from all three of them.

JV_
03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I would also read this: How to get the Most out of a Class (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?369-How-to-get-the-Most-out-of-a-Class)

ToddG
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Those guys all operate at a level above me.

Jay called me an Operator! You all saw it...

To the OP, I was thinking about writing something for my website about this very topic. Rough sketch, I'd say:

Come to class wanting to improve, not show off.
Come to class wanting to learn, not just practice.
Come to class wanting to fix things, not just hone what's already good.

jstyer
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh, and BTW, being lumped into the same group as SN, Todd, and Jack is quite nice for my ego, but is unfounded. Those guys all operate at a level above me. I've learned a tremendous amount from all three of them.

Don't get too happy Jay... I did list you last :D

Thanks for the replies so far guys. After cruising over all the old P-T posts I finally found the two that I really wanted to re-read before my AFHF in April. And honestly, I think these are two of the best articles I've ever read on training and having a truly teachable mindset.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/5289

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4804

If you can keep sending the good food for thought this way, I'd be much obliged!

Failure2Stop
04-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Jay and Todd have already hit most of the topic, so here are my anemic additions:

Don't get wrapped up in the equipment. I don't mind talking about guns/gear/doodads, but what will make a bigger difference is the how and why.

Give me feedback. Not just at the end of class, but after a target analysis, or after a drill, or after some one on one work. I want to know if things are coming together or falling apart for you, individually or as a whole. The program is made to encourage/demand growth of your skills, the more information I have to work off of, the better and faster I can make it.

Ask questions. For any given skill I talk and demo for maybe 5 minutes. While I like to think that I am a concise instructor, there are many nuances I simply cannot cover in the time, counting on the experience to fill in the holes. If you aren't sure of what is being asked of you, or why, please ask. If nothing else, it will be clarified for everyone a little bit more.

Share yourself. Let me and the other shooters know a little about you and your skill. If you have a quirk, let me know instead of waiting to see if I discover it. It sucks to find out at the middle of day 2 that a shooter that has been struggling with precision shooting is left eye dominant and unable to close the right eye even though he shoots right handed, or that bad knees are preventing you from regular movement without severe pain.

Bring clear (non tinted) eye pro to the night shoot.

Help others with target repair/replacement and put the repair items back after you finish. It makes target repair faster, which can really eat into a class. Along with that, use staples in sufficient numbers to actually hold the target on.

Have fun. I'm not judging your personal value based on your shooting ability, I'm simply evaluating your progress and working to improve it. The more fun you are having the better you will learn.

Progress your skill. Apply the last skill work to the next. If we just worked on multiple shot strings and then move to presentations, it negates the previous time and ammo if you allow your stance and grip to be compromised, or if you shoot your strings well below the previous speed.