Some of us will say, "Why?" Others will likely say, "What took so long?"

https://runnerarms.com/strikerout/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leroy Suggs
05-16-2019, 07:05 AM
"Why?"

farscott
05-16-2019, 07:19 AM
The stoutness demo amused me. My concern with that cover plate is would it slide down during firing and the stoutness demo did not address that possible issue.

Tokarev
05-16-2019, 07:29 AM
The stoutness demo amused me. My concern with that cover plate is would it slide down during firing and the stoutness demo did not address that possible issue.I also wonder about this.

I haven't seen the Mossberg pistol. How is that plate retained? And what's it made out of?

JonInWA
05-16-2019, 12:39 PM
I'm personally on the "Why?" train as well, but I concurrently applaud the ingeniousness of the design, and the fact that it doesn't require any modifications other than the slide cover plate substitution.

After 30+ years, I'd think we've moved passed the instinctive visceral horror of having to pull the trigger as a necessary prelude to field-stripping/disassembly thought, but for those unduly concerned, it offers an inexpensive alternative approach.

Best, Jon

HeavyDuty
05-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon, but I’ve always thought the “need” to be able to detail strip without pulling the trigger to be overstated. I mean, how hard is it to unload? Obviously this is a sticking point for some people.

Darth_Uno
05-16-2019, 01:33 PM
I'm fond of saying, "If it's predictable, it's preventable." I'd call this is an answer without a question, but it eliminates human error. I won't buy one, but I can't say it's a bad idea.

Tokarev
05-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon, but I’ve always thought the “need” to be able to detail strip without pulling the trigger to be overstated. I mean, how hard is it to unload? Obviously this is a sticking point for some people.For pistol savvy folks it isn't a problem at all. With that said, even pistol savvy people can have a momentary lapse in attention, routine, thought process and/or be distracted for whatever reason.

Seems somewhat odd to me that we accept the Glock for what it is. But many of the same people see the Serpa as a dangerous device. Blackhawk says it is a training issue...

My agency teaches to load the 870 in "hot standby" which is chamber empty, mag tube full and action unlocked. This requires a pull of the trigger before the mag tube is loaded.

How many NDs have we had over the years?

BehindBlueI's
05-16-2019, 02:50 PM
Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon, but I’ve always thought the “need” to be able to detail strip without pulling the trigger to be overstated. I mean, how hard is it to unload? Obviously this is a sticking point for some people.

Hard enough it played in to roughly 1/3 of accidental discharges causing injury or death in my county the year I tracked it.

STI
05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Glock or no -

Why does anybody not dry cycle an "empty" firearm 2-3 times upon picking it up, each time, even if they were the last one to put it down "empty"? I don't have to buy parts to do that plus it's 100% reliable, semiauto, bolt, I don't care. Trust but verify.

In my opinion people that need mechanical "solutions" to this "problem" shouldn't be using firearms without 1 on 1 supervision. (My opinion isn't different for LE/mil either)

Prdator
05-16-2019, 03:09 PM
I hope they get as burned at the stake as I did when I posted a video of just removing the striker so you didn't have to press the trigger to take a Glock apart...... you thought suggesting high ready and AIWB was something.......

HeavyDuty
05-16-2019, 03:31 PM
It’s a bigger problem than I thought, then.

Tokarev
05-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Years ago I read a large PDF collection of AD/ND reports from a large federal agency that used Glocks. The majority of the incidents involved people disassembling the gun to clean it -- quite often after being interrupted in the process.Yep.

Darth_Uno
05-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Glock or no -

Why does anybody not dry cycle an "empty" firearm 2-3 times upon picking it up, each time, even if they were the last one to put it down "empty"? I don't have to buy parts to do that plus it's 100% reliable, semiauto, bolt, I don't care. Trust but verify.

I agree. But to guys like you and I and I'd assume the majority of members here (what most consider "gun guys") it's pretty ingrained. I've seen enough unsafe handling to put 1:1 odds on the average joe doing basic self preservation checks.

ubervic
05-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Seems somewhat like a Rube Goldberg solution.

Bucky
05-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Glock or no -

In my opinion people that need mechanical "solutions" to this "problem" shouldn't be using firearms without 1 on 1 supervision. (My opinion isn't different for LE/mil either)

Gun people versus non gun people. I’ve shot USPSA since the early 90s, so gun clear / hammer down is pretty ingrained in me, long before I owned my first Glock.

I think it requires more than just training, but a passion, or at least an interest. Think about taking a mandatory training class that you have no interest in. 15 minutes after passing the exam, how much do you remember about the class?

Cypher
05-18-2019, 07:46 AM
What I find interesting is that the sear release lever or whatever Smith & Wesson calls it was supposed to alleviate this issue but I know a bunch of people who disassemble a M&P just the same way they do a Glock

Greg
05-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Whenever I see people freakout over pulling the trigger to disassemble, I figure they don't dry fire.

Distraction as a component of NDs I get. Many of us have "No live ammo" rules we've imposed on ourselves in our cleaning/workbench areas.

lee n. field
05-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Regarding the slide cover plate on the Mossberg G43 clone, it is made of metal (I believe, I handled one for a bit at SHOT this year) and is retained the same way the Glock slide cover plate is retained -- via the channel spacer sleeve into a recess on the inner surface of the slide cover plate. The Mossberg pistol is interesting, (to me) in that it lacks a slide lock (not to be confused with the slide stop) and the slide cover plate performs that function by the lower edge of it contacting the rear of the frame/trigger mechanism housing when the slide returns to battery.

Thank you. I was wondering how that was accomplished.

Tokarev
05-18-2019, 10:17 AM
What I find interesting is that the sear release lever or whatever Smith & Wesson calls it was supposed to alleviate this issue but I know a bunch of people who disassemble a M&P just the same way they do a GlockWhile the M&P can be taken apart by pulling the trigger, that is not the factory approved method. When I took an armorer course some years ago the instructor specifically avoided talking about the trigger pull method for disassembling.