PDA

View Full Version : draw speed and low percentage shots, breaking bad habits

JodyH
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
One thing I noticed while RO'ing the last IPSC match is how many people slow down their draw speed when they have to start out on a difficult shot.
Up close high percentage targets they are blazing fast on the draw and shots but on a stage with the first target being 25 yards away, their draw was about half speed.
I then thought back and realized that I'm doing the same damn thing.
So I came up with a drill to work that out of my system.

Target: 3x5 card placed COM of a IPSC/IDPA target
Distance: 20 yards
Start: Gun concealed, hands relaxed at sides
Procedure: Draw and shoot 3 shots into the 3x5 card.

I do not use a timer for this drill. My goal is to draw the pistol and get on the front sight as quickly as possible, then press out as fast as I can track the front sight on the cardboard. Then I slow down enough to make 100% hits on the 3x5 card. This is intended to be an exaggerated "gear changing" drill. I'm pushing my draw speed as fast as I can track the front sight on the cardboard, then changing gears down to making extremely precise shots on the 3x5 at 20 yards.
This drill has "three gears", 1st is getting out of the holster and on the front sight as quickly as possible, 2nd is tracking the front sight on the entire IPSC cardboard silhouette, 3rd gear is the sight alignment required to hit a 3x5 card at 20 yards.
The reason I don't use a timer for this drill is I want the 3 shots to be perfect without any time pressure.
The goal is improving draw speed and smoothly changing gears, not beating a par time.

gtmtnbiker98
03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
For whatever reason, I go into slow motion, too. I really slow down in order to make those 'A' zone or '-0' hits. Whenever I try to speed up too much at distance, my trigger management goes to hell and start dropping low and left. Speed at distance has always been a weakness of mine. At distances < 15-yards, I can fly - not so much for those longer shots. Perhaps I may give your method a try.

JodyH
03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
This drill is to help you separate the draw speed from the shot speed.
No matter what your target is, your draw speed up until you start sight tracking should be as fast as possible.
While RO'ing the match I'd watch the shooters have lightning quick draws on high percentage targets, but as soon as they're faced with a low percentage shot from the draw they slowed everything down. They were basically taking an extra .5-.75 seconds getting the gun out.