PDA

View Full Version : Extra Magazine Carry

x2humbucker
05-13-2019, 01:56 PM
What's everyone's preferred method to carry an extra magazine? My typical method, at least with thicker clothing I wear a 10-speed pouch strong side. I would prefer to carry my extra mag appendix, but have yet to find "the one" that's comfortable. What are some of the better options?

Trukinjp13
05-13-2019, 02:24 PM
This has worked surprisingly well for me. It hides very nicely since it is inline with belt. G19/g17 mags work perfect. I carry it 8-9 o’clock while I carry my g19 3-4 o’clock

https://stealthgearusa.com/Product/sg-180-carrier/sg-180-black/1696984

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcdgrips
05-13-2019, 02:26 PM
It would help if we knew what kind of mag for what platform. Having said that, I have used the following mag carriers in the past with the following platforms:
Glock
Rafter S Leather Clipon (OWB)
Glock Brand Mag Pouch (OWB)
CCC Basic Mag Carrier (OWB)
Alabama Holster Co (AIWB/IWB)
Snake eater Tactical (AIWB/IWB)

In AIWB, The Snake eater pouch was far more comfortable than the Alabama. In OWB, pretty much a wash re comfort. The CCC are slightly more concealable than the Glock, the Glock OEM pouches can also be used to carry TQs, lights and tools.

Blade Tech Singles (OWB)
Safariland Double (OWB)
Rafter S Clipon (OWB)
G Wm. Davis Double (IWB)
Snake eater Tactical (IWB)

In AIWB, Snake eater wins again. In OWB, again a wash re comfort with a nod toward the BT singles for comfort.

x2humbucker
05-13-2019, 03:09 PM
It would help if we knew what kind of mag for what platform.

I'm currently running a G19

Grouse870
05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Snake eater tactical. Super comfortable carried a shield mag, glock mag, now a M&P mag. Also works for a naa black widow

Cypher
05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Bianchi Triple Threat.

https://i.postimg.cc/6p2wVgpM/20180318_102104.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VJ83m7Mt)

I bought it for work and it worked so well I bought a second for everyday use

noguns
05-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Snakeater tactical appendix with a Glock 19 round magazine.

blues
05-13-2019, 04:38 PM
I mostly just carry in the CCC VersaMag carrier, but I have the BMC from CCC as well. (Don't use the BMC much even though it's an awesome design. I like the quick on off without pulling the belt through.)

When I don't use the VersaMag, I use the Mastermind AIWB mag carrier...but not as much as I used to. VersaMag gets the nod as long as my shirt doesn't print excessively with it.

Each of them excellent pieces of gear.

Larry T
05-13-2019, 04:50 PM
For the last several weeks I've been using the Dark Star Koala IWB at about 10 o'clock with some reverse cant. Prior, I was using an OWB from JMCK at about 8:30-9:00. When I'm wearing a suit or suit jacket I'll switch back to the JMCK.

CDFIII
05-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Another vote for Snake Eater Tactical. Most comfortable of the ones i have tried. i also like the Dark Star Gear mag pouch as well but the SET aiwb is still a bit more comfortable

BillSWPA
05-13-2019, 04:58 PM
I use a Custom Carry Concepts Basic Mag Carrier, and typically wear two of them. My magazines are typically at 8:00 behind my light.

For pocket carry I use a Kramer pocket magazine pouch. It is quite compact but after years of use retention is less than I would like, and it is expensive for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jandbj
05-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Another vote for snake eater pouches. I use them with G42/43 & G19 mags.

theJanitor
05-13-2019, 07:11 PM
I've started using the snake eater AIWB and it's been good. I can sink it low for concealment, and pull it up a bit if i want easier access

Tabasco
05-13-2019, 08:20 PM
The Wilderness Horizontal pouch @ 11:00 with mag base facing to the rear, bullets facing the ground:

https://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/pistol-mag-pouch-single-stack/

They have double stack as well.

GJM
05-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Most commonly, when concealment is a priority, in my front left pocket.

fwrun
05-13-2019, 08:31 PM
I had always resigned spare mag carry as unfeasible for me, until I tried the DSG Koala on a whim. It’s the reverse cant that makes it great.

ranger
05-13-2019, 08:58 PM
I carry IWB - right side - with a reload in a Ready Tactical kydex mag pouch on my left side "OWB". M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm with a full size spare. I like the way the Ready Tactical mag pouches are easy on and off.

olstyn
05-13-2019, 09:47 PM
I have 2 each of CCC BMCs and Kytex pouches. When gearing up at home, I almost always choose a BMC because I like the security of the solid loop. If I have a scenario where I need to put on gear in my car, a Kytex gets the nod for the easier on/off. For USPSA, all 4 get used, albeit with the caveat that the Kytex are definitely suboptimal in that role - I have occasionally managed to pull Kytex pouches off of my belt when reloading at speed.

BK14
05-13-2019, 11:19 PM
95% of the time front left pocket because I’m lazy. Rest of the time is with a veil solutions appendix pouch which is awesome. For OWB I’ve used Kytex, blade tech, Safariland, OTD Eggroll and raven. For concealment either the Kytex or Raven are pretty decent, but they’re not nearly as discreet as the Veil.

Duelist
05-13-2019, 11:29 PM

Yup.

Yung
05-13-2019, 11:36 PM
JMCK AIWB. Recently switched to the high-ride version with a pad and DCC clip and I kinda wish I did it sooner.

Erick Gelhaus
05-14-2019, 12:45 AM
Once I switched to AIWB, I stopped carrying a spare on my belt. I carry in my off side front pocket and have been using a DeSantis pocket mag pouch to keep it oriented & the crud out of it. No, it isn't the fastest reload set-up out there but I'll take the trade-off.

breakingtime91
05-14-2019, 07:00 AM
AIWB carry during summer, owb during winter (wear flannels most often), or pocket carry if carrying my 1911

GNRPowdeR
05-14-2019, 08:01 AM
When carrying AIWB, Dark Star Koala IWB at about 10 o'clock with some reverse cant.

When carrying strong side, GCode OWB mag carrier on support side, behind my phone.

sharps54
05-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Based on this thread I bought one of Snake Eater’s nylon AIWB magazine pouches and I am very happy with it. I have always found the spare magazine to be more uncomfortable AIWB than the pistol using JMCK products. I’ll still use the JMCK AIWB during classes as it is easier to reinsert the magazine but the Snake Eater is just what the doctor ordered for comfortable every day carry.

fatdog
05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
old Safariland horizontal https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014056349/safariland-123-magazine-pouch-polymer-black

or the Bawidamann horizontal http://bawidamann.com/carriers-magazine/, its also all I practice with now.

mmc45414
05-18-2019, 02:18 PM
JMCK AIWB
Me2. One day it occurred to me, that while I had never really made the mind leap to AIWB (been doing something else for forty years, change is hard...) there was no law that said I had to adhere to the same style of carry for a spare mag. And that (soft) part of my (soft) body is much more conformal to wrapping itself around a magazine inside my belt...

sparkyfender
05-21-2019, 12:48 PM
I used to have a mag pouch made by whoever was making the holster I ordered. {leather}

Lately, I have been using a Neomag, it clips onto your pocket much like the clip on a knife, holds the magazine with a magnet. They are a bit pricey, IMO.

makul
05-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Neomag.

vandal
05-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Switched to these across the board with no regrets. G48 and G17 mags. Bought an extra to leave set at the 24(?) rounder length. The magazine height adjustability is awesome. The extra length prevents rolling out, the DCC clip keeps it super low-profile.

My only minor-minor preference would be to ditch the loop attachment point at the top, which adds unnecessary (for me) thickness there.

JMCK AIWB. Recently switched to the high-ride version with a pad and DCC clip and I kinda wish I did it sooner.

TGS
05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
When carrying two spares and I'm not wearing my radio, I like the Raven double Copia.

When carrying a single spare (most common off-duty and admin), I like the Raven single Copia.

When carrying two spares along with my full complement of gear, I find the Blue Force Gear 10-Speed to be a good option....it's overwhelmingly popular at my work. If you're using Glock 19 15 round mags, the draw speed sucks and is fumble prone. If you're using Glock 17 mags, or 19 Mags with an extension (I'm using Taran Tactical +5s), then it's fine. Concealment isn't as good as the Raven pouches, either.

With my prior service weapon, the SIG P229, I used single Basic Mag Carriers from CCC. They concealed great, and being narrow singles it was very easy to arrange them in a good fashion around the other gear on my belt.

When I went through a more demanding 3 month training course that featured a lot more pressure testing in adverse conditions than the basic agent course, I found out that the level of retention from CCC BMCs and the like (Kytexs, and some other brands I can't remember that I was issued), was not acceptable. I constantly lost mags. So, I tightened down the Copias which gives me really good retention, and also negates the issue with the retention screw falling out as I found to be an issue when setting them to CCC BMC/Kytex levels of retention. The BFG 10-speed also has good retention with Glock mags, much more so than the BMC or Kytex.

YMMV.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-24-2019, 10:18 AM
I have a Dark Star Gear Koala for AIWB use. Really like being able to reverse the cant with it.

JM Custom Kydex OWB Version 3 is my go to. I use them at work, off duty, and keep them around the house. works well even with light concealment garments. Still want to try a NeoMag.

RevolverRob
05-24-2019, 01:47 PM
This is weird. I had not previously read this thread. A few days ago, I was looking for a IWB/AIWB pouch and found the Snake Eater Tactical, thought it looked good, ordered it. It'll be here in the next day or two.

The fact that quite a few folks here have recommended it, pleases me.

For OWB, I use a Red Nichols China Clipper (1911).

STI
05-24-2019, 02:49 PM

GJM is a muuuuuch more professional shooter than myself, and I used to pocket carry butted up to my wallet on the support side too, since I don't keep a wallet in the back anymore for nerve reasons, and the wallet helped printing.

I stopped earlier this year though and here's why. I primarily use a G5G17 and there's only two things that have made it not run, ever. One is Buffalo Bore +P flat nose hardcast. The other was in the Low Light shoothouse class at NW Tac Con this summer. The drill included shooting with a randomly loaded mag until empty, reloading, then shooting again, in complete darkness. The pistol wouldn't fire immediately after the reload from pocket and wouldn't respond to two or three TRB's either. At that point I asked the instructor to come over, and I also noticed the barrel wasn't fully raised into battery either. He shut the firing line, took it and "fixed" it on his table, all the while I'm turning red and wanting to be anywhere but there. The issue was that a giant ball of pocket lint had lodged in the feed lips of the pocket mag and proceeded to go into the chamber in front of the first round, preventing it from seating all the way and also return to battery. Tony Mayer and I think some others were there, dunno if anyone remembers. I always will.

I've never pocket carried since. Your mileage may vary.

sharps54
05-24-2019, 05:51 PM
This is weird. I had not previously read this thread. A few days ago, I was looking for a IWB/AIWB pouch and found the Snake Eater Tactical, thought it looked good, ordered it. It'll be here in the next day or two.

The fact that quite a few folks here have recommended it, pleases me.

For OWB, I use a Red Nichols China Clipper (1911).

I’m not sure if you saw but if you ask Snake Eater Tactical will send you mag pouches designed around single stack 1911 mags as opposed to his standard double stack pouch.

sharps54
05-24-2019, 05:53 PM
GJM is a muuuuuch more professional shooter than myself, and I used to pocket carry butted up to my wallet on the support side too, since I don't keep a wallet in the back anymore for nerve reasons, and the wallet helped printing.

I stopped earlier this year though and here's why. I primarily use a G5G17 and there's only two things that have made it not run, ever. One is Buffalo Bore +P flat nose hardcast. The other was in the Low Light shoothouse class at NW Tac Con this summer. The drill included shooting with a randomly loaded mag until empty, reloading, then shooting again, in complete darkness. The pistol wouldn't fire immediately after the reload from pocket and wouldn't respond to two or three TRB's either. At that point I asked the instructor to come over, and I also noticed the barrel wasn't fully raised into battery either. He shut the firing line, took it and "fixed" it on his table, all the while I'm turning red and wanting to be anywhere but there. The issue was that a giant ball of pocket lint had lodged in the feed lips of the pocket mag and proceeded to go into the chamber in front of the first round, preventing it from seating all the way and also return to battery. Tony Mayer and I think some others were there, dunno if anyone remembers. I always will.

When I pocket carry a magazine I put it in an Uncle Mike’s J frame pocket holster and have nothing else in the pocket. I hope that is enough to keep it somewhat oriented and lint free.

RevolverRob
05-24-2019, 08:18 PM
I’m not sure if you saw but if you ask Snake Eater Tactical will send you mag pouches designed around single stack 1911 mags as opposed to his standard double stack pouch.

Interesting. I actually got it to hold an STI mag.

It arrived today, this is a versatile piece of kit. FYI, it holds an STI mag, or a 1911 mag, or even a speed strip loaded with .38! Though that last one is a tight fit. That said, I’ll order another one for precisely that purpose to hold a speed strip on my shoulder holster.

sharps54
05-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Interesting. I actually got it to hold an STI mag.

It arrived today, this is a versatile piece of kit. FYI, it holds an STI mag, or a 1911 mag, or even a speed strip loaded with .38! Though that last one is a tight fit. That said, I’ll order another one for precisely that purpose to hold a speed strip on my shoulder holster.

I really like it although it is a very mission oriented piece of gear. As I mentioned earlier in the thread it would not do well in a class (at least for me) due to the difficulty in reinserting magazines without taking the pouch off but for every day use it is more comfortable than a kydex model.

RevolverRob
05-25-2019, 05:31 PM
I tried the pouch today with the STI. Worked good, but due to diet issues, I’ve put on a few too many pounds and AIWB carry is too uncomfortable right now.

So, turned into a speed strip carrier on my upside down shoulder holster.

J0hnny
05-25-2019, 07:24 PM

When I pocket carry it's still in a Snake Eater mag pouch. I hadn't opened this thread either, good food for thought

ADKilla
05-31-2019, 06:57 AM
I used to have a mag pouch made by whoever was making the holster I ordered. {leather}

Lately, I have been using a Neomag, it clips onto your pocket much like the clip on a knife, holds the magazine with a magnet. They are a bit pricey, IMO.

+1

I’ve been using a NeoMag for a little over a year, usually in my left back pocket. One of my ECQC realizations was that changing mags in the middle of the fight was a death nail. Moreover, while I still want a spare in case of a mag-induced malfunction, I realized it didn’t need to be forward of my hips, nor did it need to be on the belt at all (thereby minimizing weight on the belt).

Keebsley
05-31-2019, 10:12 AM
Dark Star Koala in nice electric avocado color.

Rodney Ledbetter
06-01-2019, 10:36 AM
+1 for Snake Eater, works great for carrying a 20rd VP9 mag.

I’ve been wearing a Bawidamann horizontal for over a year and love it. Great retention, never slips out. It only has the one snap loop but stays parallel to the belt because of a extra piece of loop cut to act like a stabilizing strut. Don’t modify or shorten that piece ( I know from experience ). I have VP9 version for carry and Glock version for force on force. Both are great.

http://bawidamann.com/horizontal-uber-cc-qd-hk/

wvincent
06-01-2019, 10:43 AM
+1 for Snake Eater, works great for carrying a 20rd VP9 mag.

I’ve been wearing a Bawidamann horizontal for over a year and love it. Great retention, never slips out. It only has the one snap loop but stays parallel to the belt because of a extra piece of loop cut to act like a stabilizing strut. Don’t modify or shorten that piece ( I know from experience ). I have VP9 version for carry and Glock version for force on force. Both are great.

http://bawidamann.com/horizontal-uber-cc-qd-hk/

What clock position are you carrying that at?
I really like the looks of it, thanks for posting it up!

358156hp
06-01-2019, 06:18 PM
I have a Crossbreed mag carrier for my M&P- https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/magazine-carriers/tuckable-iwb-mag-carrier.html

Rodney Ledbetter
06-01-2019, 09:49 PM
What clock position are you carrying that at?
I really like the looks of it, thanks for posting it up!

12:00 position.