PDA

View Full Version : Match Grade Ammo

orionz06
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I am hoping to get a list of good "match grade" ammo that folks are using with success and can obtain in bulk. I understand that good defensive ammo is quite accurate based on consistency overall but I am all but oblivious to what is good and bad in the world of "match ammo."

What seems to stand out to me is ASYM Precision, and I have some on the way (115gr was all I could get). Based on comments from trustworthy people I will call it a known good company.

Any others? I understand most competition shooters are using 147gr, for a few reasons, but I expect one of them to be it is a consistent load.

ToddG
03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
ASYM should be renamed AWSM, as in AWeSoMe. Look no further.

VolGrad
03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Are you looking to match grade ammo for further testing on your M&Ps or for competition?

The answer irrelevant to the OP. I'm just curious.

orionz06
03-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Both sort of, and partly training. I want to have a known quantity ammo on hand for when I want to verify a gun, work on accuracy at distance, and maybe competition if it seems to make sense (will need to verify that the ammo would make a difference in results). I have a few 147gr loads on the way as well. When I want to shoot groups at any appreciable distance I think it behooves me to use a round that shoots better than I can at that distance.

John Ralston
03-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Agreed...Stan IS the man.

VolGrad
03-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Makes good sense to me.

orionz06
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I also missed this thread on the same topic:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?128-Match-use-9mm-ammo

LtDave
04-01-2012, 11:06 AM

His .45 match ammo is superb.

jetfire
04-01-2012, 11:51 AM
The ASYM stuff is pretty incredible for any caliber. The only problem I have with ASYM ammo is it's hard to get in significant quantities through consumer outlets.

I've also had excellent results with Hornady Steel Match, provided you keep your mags clean. The 9mm stuff is available in bulk and pretty awesome.

Lastly, I've heard good things about the Wilson Combat match ammo, which they do pack in trays of 500 rounds.