PDA

View Full Version : Is MOS the only way to get a Gen 5 19 with no cutout?

ASH556
05-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Title says it all. That's all I can find. I thought they went to no cutout across the board?

dontshakepandas
05-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Title says it all. That's all I can find. I thought they went to no cutout across the board?

Right now the MOS is the only way, but they have said the regular gen 5 will be changed to no cutout going forward at some point.

I like the cutout, so I recently bought a backup before they make the change.

RJ
05-10-2019, 03:39 PM

As far as I know yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whirlwind06
05-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Okay stupid question, what is the cutout?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TicTacticalTimmy
05-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Okay stupid question, what is the cutout?

Cutout in magwell just above magazine floorplate to act as a place to put fingers to pull out a stuck mag. Problem is they put the cutout front/back instead of on sides where most people would instinctively grab if needed.

Bigger problem is the cutout grabs skin on people with meaty hands and can make mag changes painful.

Whirlwind06
05-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the summary.

Wake27
05-10-2019, 06:17 PM
I’ve also been wondering if the updated versions have hit the shelves yet. I’m literally just waiting to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
05-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Cutout in magwell just above magazine floorplate to act as a place to put fingers to pull out a stuck mag. Problem is they put the cutout front/back instead of on sides where most people would instinctively grab if needed.

Bigger problem is the cutout grabs skin on people with meaty hands and can make mag changes painful.

The cut out in the front is primarily to facilitate using the lip of the mag baseplate to strip the mag out during one handed manipulations.

If you are preparing for a gun fight, you must prepare for being shot. For gun games it doesn't matter but IME the cut out also allows slightly faster reloads.

I have meaty XXL hands, the cut out did not bother me on Gen 1, 2, or early gen 3 glocks and it doesn't bother me on Gen 5s. To each their own.

TC215
05-10-2019, 06:49 PM
I’ve had multiple sources at Glock tell me that the cut-outs are going away, but no one has been able to give me an exact time frame.

The cut-out doesn’t bother me, but I think the MOS frame feels a little better in my hand.

Pistol Pete 10
05-11-2019, 11:38 AM
I don't notice the cutout. It's the crunchy trigger that gives me problems

UNM1136
05-11-2019, 12:19 PM
I much prefer the cutouts on the sides, like Bowie Tactical does. Combined with Vickers floor plates on the mags.

pat

Old Man Winter
05-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Several shops split Gen5 pistols and sell the uppers / lowers separately for lego projects. You could buy the MOS lower and regular upper to get the combo you're after. GunBroker usually has multiple options if you want to go this route.

Jay585
05-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Several shops split Gen5 pistols and sell the uppers / lowers separately for lego projects. You could buy the MOS lower and regular upper to get the combo you're after. GunBroker usually has multiple options if you want to go this route.

As does Big Tex Outdoors (https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product-category/glock-parts-oem/) if you don't want to go the gunbroker route.

Grey
05-11-2019, 07:42 PM
As does Big Tex Outdoors (https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product-category/glock-parts-oem/) if you don't want to go the gunbroker route.OOS but you can sign up for a notification.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

echo5charlie
05-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Interesting anecdote:

Yesterday I had a a lady in shopping for a new carry piece and had it narrowed down between the G19.4 and G19.5. She was not fond of the mag cutout of the Gen5 and was stuck between the comfort of the Gen4 versus the advantages of the Gen5. Thankfully I had a special order G19.5 MOS in the back. I showed it to her and she promptly had me special order one in for her even though she did not think she would ever use the MOS feature.

Jay585
05-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Interesting anecdote:

Yesterday I had a a lady in shopping for a new carry piece and had it narrowed down between the G19.4 and G19.5. She was not fond of the mag cutout of the Gen5 and was stuck between the comfort of the Gen4 versus the advantages of the Gen5. Thankfully I had a special order G19.5 MOS in the back. I showed it to her and she promptly had me special order one in for her even though she did not think she would ever use the MOS feature.

I've wondered if the MOS slide might be worth more than a standard slide. Could the lady post an ad wanting a gen5 non-MOS slide + $50 for her unused MOS slide?

ASH556
05-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Y’all, I know this is ridiculous, but the mismatched SN’s would drive me crazy.

stomridertx
05-14-2019, 08:57 AM
I had a Gen 5 G19 as a carry gun. I never noticed the cutout until the first range day where I put 150 rounds through the gun. It became downright painful towards the end, and put a blood blister on my pinky finger. I went to the G45 and that is my favorite pistol ever. I think anyone having this issue is a good candidate for the G45/G19x. I did find some aftermarket magwell attachments for the Gen 5 that would eliminate the cutout, and Pearce makes mag extensions that fill it up. Instead of spending more money or adding complexity to my system, I just opted to sell the gun and go with the G45.