PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO Versus More Expensive Aimpoints

powell556
05-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Strictly comparing the Aimpoint PRO (https://amzn.to/31MSJJc) to the other models we might buy like T1/T2 or CompM series... what is the difference in durability/functionality? The price seems a lot cheaper and it comes with an internal mount.

I have both a PRO and a CompM4 on different uppers but haven't shot them enough to notice a difference. The built in mount on the PRO is enormous and I'd like to change it to something more streamlined, but the geissele mount is $150 which is almost half of what I paid for the PRO I think. So I may just leave the built-in enormous thumbscrew mount on that training upper and not worry about it.

How did Aimpoint get the price down on the PRO so low compared to the rest of the line up? What corners were cut, if any? Any general thoughts on the use of the PRO?

Default.mp3
05-08-2019, 10:07 AM
A little dated (any updates, Dagga Boy or Wayne Dobbs?):

For your reading pleasure.....Just my observations.

APPLICATIONS FOR AIMPOINT SIGHTS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT
By Darryl Bolke
Aimpoint L/E Pro Staff

Aimpoint sights provide law enforcement officers with an optic that is near perfect for police duty use. The combination of being able to be always left “on” due to huge battery life, incredible ruggedness and a system that allows for both eyes open and threat focus while allowing for surgical shooting in all lighting conditions and under adverse conditions. These sights are all essentially parallax free and allow a shooter to place accurate shots on target without a perfect cheek weld. Anywhere the shooter sees the dot, a round can be placed into that spot. This is critical for use with body armor, gas masks, and shooting from asymmetric positions common in law enforcement. There are numerous models of sights made by Aimpoint. The following models are the best fit for use by police officers. They each have particular pros and cons and these will be reviewed by model to allow for correct selection of the best sight for an individual or agency’s needs.

The COMP M4:
Without a doubt, the Comp M4 is the finest red dot sight ever manufactured to date. It was built to withstand the worst environmental conditions and to survive in the worst possible combat conditions. The sight is fully armored around critical adjustment components. Like all Aimpoint sights, it uses an LED illuminator inside the optic that is incredibly rugged and is almost indestructible. The intensity adjustment knob has extensive play in it to allow for massive impacts without failure. It is equipped from the factory with a very robust QRP 2 mount that is screwed into the sight from the bottom. This eliminates the need for a ring to mount the optic. The QRP 2 cannot be “over” or “under” torque onto a rail. Like all the sights in this overview, the Comp M4 uses all mechanical adjustments that are unaffected by temperature or impact. The Comp M4 utilizes a 2 MOA dot that is capable of being utilized with night vision devices in its initial infa-red settings, and visible with the naked eye in its higher settings, up to a high intensity visible setting for extremely bright conditions. A single AA battery will last 80,000 hours on setting 12 (of 16) and 100,000 hours with a lithium AA. The only “cons” of the Comp M4 is it is a larger and heavier sight and is more expensive than any of the other recommended L/E sights.
I look at the Comp M4 as being ideal for two types of L/E customers. For an agency looking to adopt a sight with no clear-cut timeline for future replacement, and they will be placed on issued armory guns. In this case the agency should purchase a sight that will still be a state of the art optic for many years to come, and will have the ability to remain fully functional even when subjected to long term use and abuse. The other ideal L/E user for the Comp M4 is by high round count special operations users who subject their weapons platforms to much more use and abuse than most officers and who have to depend on their optic to maintain zero and function even when subjected to extreme abuse in both training and real world applications. This would also include those who operate in extreme weather conditions or environmental conditions (e.g. maritime dive teams, lab teams, or those deploying in off-road vehicles in extreme conditions, and when deployed from aircraft). The Comp M4 will reliably function in all extreme situations.
Two variants of the Comp M4 are available. The Comp M4 has the battery compartment on the top in the 1 o’clock position while the Comp M4S has the battery compartment located at the 5 o’clock position. I have found that those who want to lower the profile of the sight when viewed by the operator that the Comp M4S is a good option. For those who run the sight in conjunction with a 3X Magnifier or other accessories, they will find it is easier to adjust the intensity of the dot to match lighting conditions is easier with the Comp M4.
The Comp M4 is the current U.S. Army Close Combat Optical sight. It is also in use with military units all around the world. With its military pedigree and because it was designed from the ground up as a military sight, it is designed to work in temperature ranges from -40 degrees to +160 degrees. It is submersible to 150 ft., and its objective lens and the sight body fully anti reflective coated.
For an example of the ruggedness of the Comp M4 is my personal demo sight. I purchased a Comp M4 right after they were released. The sight is still on with the first installed battery, and it has been thrown across asphalt and concrete during demos with no loss of zero or turning off over 989 times without fail of the sight, or any parts breakage from the sight itself.

The Micro Series:
The Aimpoint Micro sights (T1 and H1) are recent developments to the previous Aimpoint military sights that have essentially been shrunk to a very small size. They are a third of the weight of a Comp M4 and much smaller in size. The T1 is the military variant while the H1 lacks some of the military grade features of the T1 at a reduced cost. Both sights will run for 50,000 hours of continuous operation at setting 8 (of 12). The biggest differences in the T1 to H1 are that the T1 has Night vision capability (first 4 settings), is submersible to 80 ft. (15 ft. for the H1) and the lens coatings on the objective lens. For most line police officers the H1 is a more than capable sight. For those working in special operations within the L/E community the T1 is an excellent sight. The biggest benefit is size and weight. These sights can be run on handguns, carbines, rifles, shotguns and sub machine guns. They can be adapted to higher power precision optics to provide close quarter capability. They can be used in conjunction with mid range optics (ACOG) to provide a very viable system to engage both indoor and close range threats and to use the other optics for longer shots and range finding. Anytime weight is concerned or size is an issue (mounting on shotguns, sub-guns, AK 47 series, and pistols), the Micros are outstanding. They are fairly rugged and can be abused well past what most will ever subject a sight to, but they are not as armored as the Comp M4. Like the Comp M4, the do not use a ring to mount but are instead mounted via small screws in the bottom of the sight.
The only negatives of this sight are the small exposed adjustment caps for windage and elevation and the lack of a quick access lens cover (rubber bikini covers are included). Some people concern themselves about the small tube. In actual use the tube “ghosts” out of the shooters vision and only the dot is seen over the target. This is, in actuality, a positive.
The recent release of a 2 MOA dot H1 and T1 is a positive as well. The LED emitter on the Micro sights is the same as the larger sights. Being it is shot onto a lens that is closer than the larger sights, the 2 MOA emitter ends up being a 3.4 MOA dot that Aimpoint lists as a 4 MOA. For use on pistols, sub guns, shot guns, and AK’s, the larger dot is just fine, and often preferred. The naked eye is really not able to distinguish the dot sizes between 3.4 and 2 MOA, especially when the intensity of the dot is variable via the control knob. Where the new 2 MOA dot sight is an improvement is when used in conjunction with add on optical enhancements like a 3X magnifier or night vision and thermal devices.
The Micro sight is an outstanding sight for any application. It is especially a good idea for those who want to run the same sight on all of their different firearms so they are always used to looking at the same optic.

The PRO sight.
The Patrol Rifle Optic is especially geared towards police use. It is essentially the former worldly accepted military sight that has been modified for L/E use. The biggest problem with the previous “M” series 30mm tube sights was the need to use a ring to mount them. Aimpoint had very little (or no) control over what rings were used, who was mounting the sights, and how they were mounted. The new PRO takes the proven 30mm tube sight with a 2MOA dot, NVG capability, dive able to 80ft. and anti reflex coated, and has paired that sight with the outstanding QRP2 mount from the Comp M4. A ring is used, but it is made by Aimpoint, and mounted at the factory. It is ready to be bolted onto a patrol rifle right out of the box (although I would recommend removing the two screws from the bottom of the sight and loctiting them into place with the appropriate height spacer). Aimpoint uses a clear lens cover in the rear so that the sight can be used as an occluded-eye sight if the front cover is left up when deployed in an emergency (this also is used to train new operators on shooting with both eyes open). Battery life is listed as three years to encourage battery changes at a regular bi-annual interval for guns that will likely be carried inside vehicles with the sights left on in varied temperature conditions and with batteries of unknown origin.
The best part about the PRO optic is the price. At a full retail price of under $450 (and sold to L/E for far less), the PRO is a great buy with a ton of capability and proven battlefield level reliability at a very affordable price. It offers the most bang for the buck of any optic on the market. For any customer concerned about price, or working within strict budgets, the PRO optic is the answer. While it lacks the size advantage of the Micro, and the armoring of the M4, it has the same performance capability at a greatly reduced price point.
3X magnifier:
Aimpoints 3X magnifier is a great addition to any patrol rifle. It can be used in conjunction with any of the above sights to provide better observation capability to better identify or locate targets and threats at farther distances. They can also be removed and used as a stand alone monocular for observation of objects that do not justify having a firearm pointed at it. Aimpoint uses very high quality European glass in its magnifiers and it has adjustment screws to center your red dot in the middle of the optic. You will get some parallax when using the magnifier in the field.

Other issues:
Some things that often come up during discussions of red dot sights are also easily addressed.
“The dot looks like and asterisk or a coma” –This is an issue for anyone with an astigmatism. This is an eye problem and not a sight problem. The sight is quite shootable even if the dot doesn’t look perfectly round and precise. Shooters with astigmatism’s can do two things to alleviate the problem. First is to go to their optometrist with their sight and get corrective lenses made to alleviate the problem, or to shoot the sight through a small rear aperture iron sight. I have an astigmatism and have been able to shoot my Aimpoints without issue or corrective lenses without issue.
“Turning the sight off”-DO NOT TURN THEM off on a working gun. Because of the way LED’s work, the batteries will last longer if the sight is simply left on. It takes more power to turn the sight on and off than to simply leave them on. For those really concerned about maximizing battery life, just turn the sight to its lowest setting but not off.
“You need a reticule to lead moving targets” –This is simply fantasy. In the real world, bad guys don’t move where you “will” them. Unless it is a military sniper working an ambush shot, this is not reality. The reality is that you need to drag the sight through the moving target from where the target has been and then press the trigger as the dot gets to the front of the target. This way your gun is moving with the target from a known point and is a more realistic way to “lead” a mover.

Source: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6413-Aimpoint-Recommendations&p=109067&viewfull=1#post109067

Old Man Winter
05-08-2019, 10:35 AM
I've always looked at the PRO as an updated Comp M2. Aimpoint reliability without cutting edge performance or expense.

Wayne Dobbs
05-08-2019, 11:19 AM
There are obvious updates needed: CompM5, 2nd Generation Micros (T-2 and H-2), 1st Generation Micros now discontinued and ACRO P-1.

UNM1136
05-08-2019, 11:30 AM
What I notice with my CompMil3 in a LaRue mount and the PRO that I issue to other cops too cheap to buy their own stuff is weight and an inelegant mounting system. I really don't know if it is better, but I like mine more....

The PRO looks clunkier, has, in my opinion a lesser mounting system, and while the battery choice is good, it may be the best thing about it...

The P-1 is a better choice all the way around...

pat

ASH556
05-08-2019, 12:30 PM
karmapolice has always said he never felt he could get the brightness he likes out of a PRO; even at the highest setting. I don't run my stuff as bloomingly bright as he does, so I've not noticed it to be an issue. I don't mind the old 30mm Aimpoints, but do prefer a different mount. You can probably pick up something a lot more streamlined like a Larue used for $80 or so.

I have a T1 on my MK18ish upper and still have zero issues with that optic.

Wayne Dobbs
05-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Guys that don't like the QRP mount knob on the PRO, you have a different choice available from Aimpoint LE dealers only at the same price. It's the PRO on the Aimpoint LRP throw lever mount, SKU 200374. That version was previously only sold to CBP, but was made available to all LE dealers this year.

I may try to do an update on DB's work if I get time. In the interim, if you want up to date information on Aimpoint, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a number to call and I'll help you out.

Wayne Dobbs
05-09-2019, 09:11 AM
I've always looked at the PRO as an updated Comp M2. Aimpoint reliability without cutting edge performance or expense.

Think CompM3 and you'd be correct...

Tokarev
06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
Think CompM3 and you'd be correct...

Are there any plans for a PRO version of the T2? Something that's smaller and lighter than the current PRO and based off the T1/T2 footprint? I know something like this would sell great at $400-ish and would be a great competitor to stuff like the SIG Romeo4 M and 4 T.

spinmove_
06-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Are there any plans for a PRO version of the T2? Something that's smaller and lighter than the current PRO and based off the T1/T2 footprint? I know something like this would sell great at $400-ish and would be a great competitor to stuff like the SIG Romeo4 M and 4 T.

You mean like the Trijicon MRO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokarev
06-20-2019, 07:40 AM
You mean like the Trijicon MRO?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSimilar in size and price to the MRO but built on the T2 body. It would use existing T1 or 2 mounts and would have called turrets. Also little or no fish eye distortion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev
06-20-2019, 10:28 AM
and would have called turrets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Capped not called turrets.

Stupid Tapatalk and auto correct!

Thy.Will.Be.Done
03-12-2021, 09:51 AM
Guys that don't like the QRP mount knob on the PRO, you have a different choice available from Aimpoint LE dealers only at the same price. It's the PRO on the Aimpoint LRP throw lever mount, SKU 200374. That version was previously only sold to CBP, but was made available to all LE dealers this year.

I may try to do an update on DB's work if I get time. In the interim, if you want up to date information on Aimpoint, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a number to call and I'll help you out.

Finding myself in the market right now for a new Aimpoint, would love to hear what the new Aimpoint lines have going on in reference to DB's great insight posted earlier in the thread.

19852+
03-12-2021, 12:13 PM
I used to have a Pro but it had a dot that appeared a starburst to me and I found it unworkable. I sold it and started looking for something different. Then I read someplace, maybe here, that the dot on the CompM4 was better than the Pro. I tried one in my LGS and sure enough, it was better. But the price.... Then I found a like new, w/o box Comp for about half price. Now it's mine and along with the Aimpoint 3X magnifier I am quite satisfied.
Heavy? check.
Large? check.
But the quality for what I paid is worth the weight and size and it isn't made in china which is important to me.

The whole system will be perfect with the addition of Aimpoint's twist off, flip to side magnifier mount.

David S.
03-12-2021, 01:14 PM
The QRP2 (https://skdtac.com/skd-aimpoint-qrp2-riser-pro-comp-m4/) aftermarket riser allows you to move the mount knob to the other side.

pastaslinger
03-13-2021, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty happy with my PRO. I got it directly from scalarworks with their mount and I find that this combo looks great, functions great, and is not overly heavy. I'm hapoy enough that I'd be a little hard pressed to buy a more expensive red dot from Aimpoint. The Comp M4/M4S use a rarer mounting solution, which has stopped me from bothering to try and buy one to try out. I honestly don't have a ton of experience with the T2 and Comp M5 series dots but I'm so content with my PRO and Holosun micro sized dots that I don't see one in my near future.

TWR
03-14-2021, 01:00 AM
There’s not much I can add but I’ve owned a half dozen Aimpoints, another half dozen EOTechs and a couple of Sigs along with a few pistol dots such as the RMR and a JPoint. I also have astigmatism. I’ve gone back and forth over the years thinking one dot looked better to me, only to find later on that it turned into a starburst and looked for another.

I had a newer EOTech EXPS2-0 that enabled me to be quite capable out to 300 yards and thought this is the one. Then I bought a Romeo 4M and thought the cheaper dot was crisper so I bought a Romeo 5 for a 22. I had purchased a PRO as well and one day I had all of them out and the dots were exactly the same. Figured out it was my eyes that were changing as they got tired.

I now have a PRO and an H2, I prefer the micro for the size but the PRO is solid and ain’t going anywhere.

Phaedrus
05-01-2021, 02:45 AM
I'm not sure if this is helpful but I'll throw it out there. I've got a PRO that I've had for maybe 5-6 years and I've been very happy with it. Always hated the mount so I bit the bullet and spent $200 to get the Scalarworks mount. Even though it's almost half as much as t he optic it's very worth it. So not to long ago I set up a new PWS carbine and decided that for once I'd get the best of everything; no second choices, this would be the one 'big dick swingin' carbine' where I would buy exactly what I wanted. So I bought a Cloud Defensive Owl and a Comp M5 right from Scalarworks with their mount. It's awesome of course but also underwhelming in the sense of, yep, that's a red dot.;) It perhaps has a tad less parallax and is probably more durable, but the PRO as a larger 'window' which on some level id nice. Again I don't have a lot of time om the Comp M5 yet so I'll update this down the road. The Comp M5 is probably awesome for someone that really needs a Comp M5, if that makes sense. Me, I'm low-speed, high-drag. I bought the Comp M5 not because I needed the very best but because I had the money and I wanted it.

Bottom line the Aimpoint PRO with the Scalarworks mount is truly a bargain and probably all I'd ever really need in a RDS.

https://i.imgur.com/DtsjwUO.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/XVAKGc3.jpg?1

Screwball
05-01-2021, 06:58 AM
I have two PROs and one CompM4s…

To be honest, you aren’t going to notice the difference if it is a civilian rifle. Change batteries once a year, put rounds down range, and that’s about it.

Military, and to a lesser extent L/E, the CompM4s is nice because of the more common battery (AA). Even when you get into the micros… 2032 verses AAA? But with the battery life, it really isn’t as huge of a point.

I still like the PRO being I prefer the larger tube… but the past two braced pistols I’ve put red dots on have been micros (SIG Romeo 5, to be exact). Even though I prefer the larger sights, the small ones work… take up less space, and are lighter.

M2CattleCo
05-01-2021, 08:33 AM
I have a PRO bought back in ‘09 or ‘10 and it’s still kicking ass on a ranch gun that’s been outside or in a truck the for that entire time.

I’m on the Comp M5 on my personal AR though.

Nephrology
05-01-2021, 08:57 AM
Have a couple PROs, biggest downside is weight and size, otherwise I can't imagine wanting to upgrade.

KeeFus
05-01-2021, 05:59 PM
Have a couple PROs, biggest downside is weight and size, otherwise I can't imagine wanting to upgrade.

And the 1/3N battery. I have to order them online through Amazon i haven’t found them locally.

HCM
05-01-2021, 06:03 PM
And the 1/3N battery. I have to order them online through Amazon i haven’t found them locally.

Only non-gun place I’ve found them locally has been the “Batteries Plus” stores.

Phaedrus
05-01-2021, 06:07 PM

They are a little harder to source but only need to do it every five years (give or take).

KeeFus
05-01-2021, 06:10 PM
They are a little harder to source but only need to do it every five years (give or take).

Mine go out between 12-18 months. They stay on the 7 or 8 click 24/7/365. Either way, I change them out now every 12 months.

My CompM5 AAA is on year two with no issues. Still going strong.

Phaedrus
05-01-2021, 06:57 PM
Yeah, obviously varies depending on where you set the brightness. Even 12-18 months isn't bad. I'm curious to see how long the AAA will last in my Comp M5.

Nephrology
05-01-2021, 08:10 PM

A bit more of a PITA but Duracell versions are easily found online. I usually buy them by the dozen on BatteryJunction. Vs. the ~$500 premium over a CompM5, the value isn't really there with the AAAs...;)

Plus, the 1/3N is nice and compact, and you can get a little compartment (https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoint-double-battery-kit.html) that lets you tuck away a spare battery right on the cap... Somehow these too became unobtanium during the pandemic, but I got them from amazon for like $12/ea once upon a time. Great investment.

HCM
05-01-2021, 08:57 PM
A bit more of a PITA but Duracell versions are easily found online. I usually buy them by the dozen on BatteryJunction. Vs. the ~$500 premium over a CompM5, the value isn't really there with the AAAs...;)

Plus, the 1/3N is nice and compact, and you can get a little compartment (https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoint-double-battery-kit.html) that lets you tuck away a spare battery right on the cap... Somehow these too became unobtanium during the pandemic, but I got them from amazon for like $12/ea once upon a time. Great investment.

Apparently you used to be able to get the little compartment that lets you store a spare battery - the listing at your link says “discontinued by manufacturer.”

Wayne Dobbs - any possible source for new/old stock on these ?

Nephrology
05-01-2021, 09:13 PM
Apparently you used to be able to get the little compartment that lets you store a spare battery - the listing at your link says “discontinued by manufacturer.”

Well that’s too bad. I got mine on a lark and ended up with way more than I needed (didn’t realize they were 2/pack.) returned my extras. Great investment, not sure why they’re not standard to be honest.

Phaedrus
05-01-2021, 10:24 PM
It's a bummer it's discontinued! If anyone finds NOS please post a link (after you score a few for yourself).

Nephrology
05-02-2021, 08:43 AM
It's a bummer it's discontinued! If anyone finds NOS please post a link (after you score a few for yourself).

I'm seeing some on Ebay, no idea if they're legit or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Two-Comp-Aimpoint-9000SC-NV-Double-Battery-Holder-/352371353041?_ul=IL

Wayne Dobbs
05-02-2021, 10:32 AM

I'll check, but to be honest, the only spare battery compartment I recall was on the LaRue LT-150 mount that mounted my first CompM3 in the early 2000s.

OlongJohnson
05-02-2021, 10:35 AM
All the descriptions I've seen for the Aimpoint 12247 say it's for Comp M2/M3, etc. Nothing about PRO. Would be nice to have positive confirmation that that part number works on the PRO.

Gater
05-02-2021, 10:43 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Two-Comp-Aimpoint-9000SC-NV-Double-Battery-Holder-/352371353041?_ul=IL

From another listing from the same seller:

Like Neph, I can't vouch for the seller but for $10 shipped I'll take a shot. Will advise on what is received if anyone wants to know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272249344345?epid=9011363837&hash=item3f63535159:g:pz8AAOSwA3dYMjIo

Edited to add text from seller listing for clarity:

"This is a Brand New 2 Pack Aimpoint Pro Patrol Rifle Optic Red Dot Riflescope Double Battery Holder. We have been selling these for the M2 M68 M3 and yesterday a buyer e-mailed us to inform us it fits his PRO perfectly. This doesn't fit the original Aimpoint CompM XD which of course was discontinued in 2000."

My PRO has seen very little use compared to my Micro, but (anecdotally) I recall chatting with a police officer in a carbine class a few years ago--he and his wife (also LE) had PROs on patrol rifles and liked them but he said battery life was less than expected.

Nephrology
05-02-2021, 11:01 AM
I'll check, but to be honest, the only spare battery compartment I recall was on the LaRue LT-150 mount that mounted my first CompM3 in the early 2000s.

Here's a photo of one of them installed on my PRO, if thats' helpful. They may have been compatible with the CompM series battery compartments too, not sure.

https://i.ibb.co/wMX6177/IMG-4269.jpg

Phaedrus
05-02-2021, 01:06 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

Wayne Dobbs
05-06-2021, 08:04 PM
There is a battery storage/battery compartment cap part still in play at Aimpoint. I'm off on a trip and will have a SKU when I'm home.

JJN
05-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the link. I ordered a pair. Quick shipping. They look OEM on the PRO.

Phaedrus
05-07-2021, 01:50 PM
I also ordered a pair, we'll see!

SamueL
05-07-2021, 11:23 PM

Ordered thanks to you and already received. I just might have to get a few more for the weapons locker!

fatdog
05-08-2021, 07:43 AM
I got the one Neph referenced on my PRO. Installed easily, does what it claims. Took the rifle to the range last night and did about 120 rounds of drills, no problems, not loose. It appears to be to be well built and has the appropriate O rings and screws in easy, fits tight. Nice to get a pair of them from this guy, one for each of my PRO's.

Nephrology
05-08-2021, 09:41 AM
Ordered thanks to you and already received. I just might have to get a few more for the weapons locker!

Glad they're working out. I have them on each of my PROs, at $5/ea they're a no brainer

Phaedrus
05-08-2021, 05:38 PM
Got mine today, too!:D They fit perfectly and the finish matches well enough that it looks stock (at least under indoor light conditions). Thanks for the tip! Now I'll have to if I can remember where I stashed my spare batteries... :cool:

Gater
05-09-2021, 04:48 PM
Another happy customer--fits and works perfectly. Thanks again to Nephrology.

Mine arrived in an unmarked ziplock bag. The NSN cited by the E-bay seller (a gov/mil liquidator) is in PM mag as replacement part for the older M68 CCO (Comp M2 version), which makes sense, and suggested to me they were selling small lots out of a bigger issue package, which was prefect for my needs. I was curious, so I poked around on the NSN: there's another seller with sealed 100 packs for $10, with $12.60 shipping. I can't vouch for the seller or the product--and AFAIK Aimpoint doesn't advertise these as PRO-compatible, so that might be an issue with institutional use--but flagging for the fleet users.

My remaining issue is the same as Phaedrus: no clue where the spares are...

OlongJohnson
05-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Got mine today, too!:D They fit perfectly and the finish matches well enough that it looks stock (at least under indoor light conditions).

I was surprised with the mismatch. All the Aimpoint stuff I have has very consistent anodizing except this part. Not that I'm complaining. It's black enough.

Willard
05-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Do these battery holders work on the Comp M4? Thanks.

Phaedrus
05-09-2021, 09:54 PM
I was surprised with the mismatch. All the Aimpoint stuff I have has very consistent anodizing except this part. Not that I'm complaining. It's black enough.

I guess I'll have to compare them in bright sunlight (if we ever get any). In indoor light they match okay, and as you say I'm not that fussy. The carbine mine is mounted to is kind of a tactical hammer, just a bullet delivery vehicle not an objet d'art.;)

DDTSGM
05-09-2021, 10:11 PM
According to ebay the guy is on vacation until May 15th. Guess I'll wait.

Casual Friday
05-09-2021, 10:38 PM

It might thread on there, but would ultimately be pointless since the Comp M4 takes a AA battery and the Pro takes the 1/3 N.

HCM
05-10-2021, 12:51 AM
Not that I'm complaining. It's black enough.

Schoolly D has been waiting a long time to hear that.....

https://youtu.be/ZulOGB9yXlY

https://youtu.be/eN_Jlhxm83U

Wayne Dobbs
05-10-2021, 11:53 AM

Absolutely not...CompM4 uses an entirely different battery cap. The M2/M3 and PRO are all the same on their caps.

Willard
05-10-2021, 08:23 PM
Absolutely not...CompM4 uses an entirely different battery cap. The M2/M3 and PRO are all the same on their caps.

Thanks much. Didn't realize the pro and M4 used different batteries. Appreciate the assist!

tango-papa
05-21-2021, 06:58 PM
There is a battery storage/battery compartment cap part still in play at Aimpoint. I'm off on a trip and will have a SKU when I'm home.

Might you have that SKU info available?

BillSWPA
05-21-2021, 08:23 PM
The extra battery storage cap will also work on the ACO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDTSGM
05-27-2021, 02:47 PM
First PM to hit my inbox with an address gets my second cap sent to them for free.

Gater
05-28-2021, 04:59 AM
Memorial Day ain’t about retail, obviously, but if anyone’s looking to pick up a PRO, I just got a notification of SKD Tactical (friend of P-F) sale: 15% off today, increasing daily to 18% on Monday). That’s how I got mine originally. Believe it’s on in stock only, so you’re rolling the bones if you wait til Monday.

I just put one in cart to check: PRO is in stock, current sale price $378.25. M5S is $842.35; T2 is out of stock. They have some of the Scalarworks mounts available, too.

DDTSGM
05-28-2021, 09:35 PM
first pm to hit my inbox with an address gets my second cap sent to them for free.

recipient has been selected - exiledviking pm'ed first.

On a side note - is there any date code on a duracell dl1/3nb lithium battery hanging blister pack? I bought a three pack on amazon. Likely candidates for date codes were:

1015989 - printed on the bottom of the box containing the blister packs.

04 - printed on the side of the battery.

I'm thinking i may have bought some old batteries.

COOL BEANS THE FORUM TURNED ALL CAPS INTO REGULAR TEXT. THANKS - LETS SEE IF IT DOES THIS ONE.