PDA

View Full Version : Beretta and thumb-knuckle issues

ASH556
05-06-2019, 03:00 PM
I've had this happen off and on, but never with quite enough regularity that it was an issue. Today it happened to me several times including the first shot of what was supposed to be a Bill Drill. It seems the thumb-knuckle of my support hand is pressing up on the slide stop and causing premature slidelock. This happens when working from a fast draw.

I've read this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33569-Beretta-M9-Slide-Lock-Pops-Up-Early/page3

But don't see any real solutions.

Anyone overcome this? This may kill the Beretta for me.

Prdator
05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
It sounds like you are either not gripping the gun hard enough, or need to change your grip some. your welcome to email me pics and Ill be glad to try and help. keepersconcealment@gmail.com

BN
05-06-2019, 09:22 PM
I took some more metal off the lever after the last post in my thread and it seems to work OK. I haven't been shooting the pistol much lately. I mostly have gone back to Glocks.

OlongJohnson
05-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Sigs have issues with the slide failing to lock back if your thumb is on the lever. Solution is a strong-thumb-out grip.

LOKNLOD
05-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Happens to me when I switch back and forth with a 92. Lessens if I stick with it.

10mmfanboy
05-07-2019, 12:40 AM
I had a problem with sigs years back, with slide not locking back, and then I had premature lock back on a glock 27. All I did was lock my support hand thumb down by resting my strong hand thumb down on top of it. Never had a problem shooting any pistol since.

BN
05-08-2019, 02:04 PM
I removed metal from mine and it seems to be OK now.

runcible
05-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Teaching predominately to a Sig-running crowd as I do, I teach to index the firing hand's thumb on or between the first two knuckles of the support hand's thumb.

(Now, that indexing is in part predicating on the support hand thumb-tip being reached further forward to press the full length of the thumb from base to tip against the section of frame immediately below the slide...)

I call it "caging the thumb" for brevity. It allows for a protected space for the slide-lock\release lever to sit undisturbed and without casual contact, and it helps interlock the two hands together during firing.

Hambo
05-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Anyone overcome this?

It's anatomically impossible for me to do what you're describing. Pics of you gripping your pistol would help.

revchuck38
05-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Sigs have issues with the slide failing to lock back if your thumb is on the lever. Solution is a strong-thumb-out grip.

I had this problem with both my PX4s and my P6. Going to the smaller slide release fixed the problem on the PX4s; I also modified my grip enough to prevent it from happening anymore with the P6. I don't recall it happening when I had a Brigadier.

Duke
05-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Monkey thumb mod here too

ASH556
05-08-2019, 06:46 PM
It's anatomically impossible for me to do what you're describing. Pics of you gripping your pistol would help.

Apparently I’ve described it poorly; forgive me. Hopefully this clears things up:

ArgentFix
05-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Could a thicker left grip panel possibly help? I have Hogues installed on my 92fs and experience a different angle when mimicking your grip as best I can. Apologies for terrible photography.

These are the grips I'm currently using:

LOKNLOD
05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Apparently I’ve described it poorly; forgive me. Hopefully this clears things up:

Are you sure the culprit is pushing up on the rear of the lever, and not pushing down on the front of the lever?

fixer
05-09-2019, 05:05 AM
Ash,

something to try as I have run into same issue.

I move my support hand grip such that my thumb projects upward at an angle in front of slide lever. you get the same grip area but your thumb is away from the slide stop.

In other words, with your support hand as shown, rotate your thumb upwards from being parallel with the slide to something like 45 degree angle.

I shoot both Glocks and Berettas like this.

Bucky
05-09-2019, 05:10 AM
I’m happy to have not had this issue with Berettas, but my Shadow 2 used to rub me raw.

Hambo
05-09-2019, 06:58 AM

I see...you need new hands. ;) Seriously, it is anatomically impossible for me to do that. The meaty part of my hand pushes the thumb joint way out so that no part of my thumb can make contact with that lever. The only part of my L thumb that is in contact is the end, which is pushing the frame just ahead of the takedown lever.

VZ palm swell grips look like a Coke bottle, meaning that the middle is thinner than the top and bottom. That might roll your thumb outboard enough to not make contact. It's not a cheap solution for a gun you might give up, but if you buy a set and they don't work, I'll buy them from you.

CraigS
05-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Or tape some cardboard onto the grip to simulate thicker panels.

Duelist
05-12-2019, 11:10 PM
I use a thicker G10 panel on mine. Makes it very difficult to do what you’re showing in that pic.

Pistol Pete 10
05-13-2019, 10:58 AM
I've never had this issue but I have engaged the safety after reloading while closing the slide. Had it changed to decocker only. No more problems.

CraigS
05-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Do you have really large hands? I ask because it seems to me that, if you start w/ your left hand index finger up against the underside of the trigger guard, you would have to rotate your hand a bunch to get the meat of your thumb base (have no idea what that is really called) up that high toward the slide. I saw someone doing similar to a glock but it had a small recess left side, just above the trigger guard, that they were pushing down on w/ the end of their thumb. help to absorb recoil. The 92x has an angled extension on the takedown lever to provide a similar effect to that guys glock. But the B92 doesn't have anything there to push on so I am not understanding what you are accomplishing w/ that grip other than messing up a chance to shoot a great pistol. This may show why I can't quite figure how you get this problem.
https://live.staticflickr.com/7816/46192133344_9737ef77d7_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dnQKW9)20190129_085705 (https://flic.kr/p/2dnQKW9) by craig stuard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/), on Flickr