PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I did it again (another 2.5" Model 19)

TGS
05-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Sorry for the quick and crappy picture.

I picked up another Model 19-3 project gun. I think I'm going to go with a matte black bead-blast for this one, but I'm not sure. Maybe two tone? Give me some ideas, share some pictures.

Worn finish with some funky gold plating on the trigger and lettering, but otherwise in good condition. Came with a Safariland/Rogers synthetic grip, and a Bianchi rubber grip that actually features an integral hammer shroud.

I don't think I'll keep either of the grips, but I'm not sure. Any history on these you can share?

Darth_Uno
05-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Nice. I’ve got a 4” 19-3.

Man, you gotta re-blue that. Anything else just ain’t right.

Lon
05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
That needs to have a milled in front night sight, C&S xtreme duty rear to go along with that bead blast blues finish. Maybe blue frame barrel and stainless looking cylinder?

revchuck38
05-03-2019, 04:31 PM
First choice would be polished blue, second choice is a toss-up between matte blue and matte hard chrome. If going with hard chrome, pull both sights off (obviously) prior to the refinish. My 4" 19-3 has a pinned front sight, I think the 2-1/2" ones do too.

Chuck Whitlock
05-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Came with a Safariland/Rogers synthetic grip, and a Bianchi rubber grip that actually features an integral hammer shroud.

I don't think I'll keep either of the grips, but I'm not sure. Any history on these you can share?

The Bianchi are the Lightning grips, which, as you said, shrouded the hammer like the Colt bolt-on shroud or old S&W Bodyguard.

03RN
05-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Nice find

Tritium front sight, fixed rear, new trigger (or refinished).

Pachymayr Compact pro grips.

I'd leave the bluing alone, maybe parkerize???

TGS
05-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Nice find

Tritium front sight, fixed rear, new trigger (or refinished).

Pachymayr Compact pro grips.

I'd leave the bluing alone, maybe parkerize???

It'll definitely get a new finish. Honestly, I can't stand the looks of a worn high-polish blue. If it's an antique patina, that's fine, but worn high-polish bluing just looks like junk, IMO.

I do have a hankering for some sort of Victory-looking revolver with a utilitarian finish, so that could actually be a consideration. The trigger will definitely get cleaned up as part of the refinish. I might keep this one wearing the stock sights as they're in perfect condition and I have FOs on the other project gun. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?31992-Risen-from-the-Dead-S-amp-W-19-4-Combat-Magnum-2-5-quot)

Fortunately I already have a set of spare Pachmyer Compacts, and they're definitely going on this gun.

For finishes, I think this one should be dark because the other project gun linked above was done in NP3. What do you guys think about matte bluing vs Birdsong Black-T? Is there another vendor for a black DLC or PVD finish that anyone knows of?

Have any of you guys ever experimented with or seen a revolver in very unconventional colors that actually looked good? A green like Birdsong Green-T, or Burnt Bronze, something of the sort?

I've got a retired agency gun in excellent original condition, plus that other fun-gun in NP3. I'm willing to go a little outside the box if we can put together a solid concept. That's the reason I like to buy these beater Combat Magnums, and leave the nicely finished good condition ones for purists. If I got one of those, I would obsess over keeping the high-polished bluing in perfect shape.

The Bianchi are the Lightning grips, which, as you said, shrouded the hammer like the Colt bolt-on shroud or old S&W Bodyguard.

Neat. Was it a fad at one point, just some dumb idea, or part of some regular practice in certain circles? I appreciate the historical context.

Chuck Whitlock
05-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Neat. Was it a fad at one point, just some dumb idea, or part of some regular practice in certain circles? I appreciate the historical context.

I have no personal time with them, just random trivia in my head. IIRC, the were only made for K frame Smiths, but I'm not positive. I guess it depends on whether or not one felt the need for a shrouded hammer on ones K frame. I can see using it on an issued weapon that you were prohibited from modifying. Dagga Boy would most likely know more about context of use.

Duelist
05-04-2019, 12:55 AM
I feel a hankering to find one of these...

farscott
05-04-2019, 07:23 AM
The only issue with bluing after bead blasting (the source of most matte metal prep) is an increased propensity for corrosion and rust. The bead blasting creates small depressions in the steel, and those depressions collect moisture like a sponge does. If I was to blue the revolver, I would opt for a high-polish blue finish as it is much more resistant to corrosion. Not because of the bluing but because the polished surface of the metal is less likely to attract moisture.

If it was my revolver, I would send it to Robar, get the internals and cylinder finished in NP3, and finish the rest of the revolver in Roguard. I did that with an old M28 and was very pleased with the outcome. Now I need to find that revolver in the safe.

SeriousStudent
05-04-2019, 08:38 AM
The Bianchi's were made for J, K/L, and N frames. I have two K-frame revolvers so equipped, and a J-frame as well. They are very useful for turning an agency-issued gun into something more useful for winter pocket carry.

I have a Model 60 that I do not wish to touch the action on. It's the most accurate pistol I own. I have watched Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke shoot a ragged nickel-sized group with it at 5 yards. I'm never going to disturb the innards on that gun. This makes for a great way to use it for parka carry in the winter.

You being from Up North, I'd hang onto them.

The other stocks look like an old set of Rogers Safariland grips. I like those as well. Let me know if you decide to get rid of either set.

Gun Mutt
05-04-2019, 08:51 AM
I love the look (and the tug towards days of yore) of two tone Colt 1911's, but I don't like the look on Smith revolvers at all. I picked up a 442pc-tune and if I keep it long enough, it'll need a coating of some kind to protect against my steel killing sweat and it'll be one solid color when it's done.

I also love, love, love the 2.5" 19/66. Pach Com-Pros every time, though VZ would probably be one at least one if I had multiples.

ralph
05-04-2019, 10:10 AM
How about doing it in black nitride? www.blacknitride.com I had these folks do a steel framed CZ for me, and it turned out great37788 here's a pic to give you an idea..

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Maybe two tone? Give me some ideas, share some pictures.

If it was my revolver, I would send it to Robar, get the internals and cylinder finished in NP3, and finish the rest of the revolver in Roguard. I did that with an old M28 and was very pleased with the outcome. Now I need to find that revolver in the safe.

Here are a couple of pics of a 2-tone. I think the pics are from the guy who made the grips:

psalms144.1
05-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Here are a couple of pics of a 2-tone. I think the pics are from the guy who made the grips:

37794Sorry if I offend anyone, and I know everyone has their own taste, but for the love of all that's Holy, never show an abomination like that again. That makes me think walking in on your parents having sex is a mild shock compared to seeing that...

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Sorry if I offend anyone, and I know everyone has their own taste, but for the love of all that's Holy, never show an abomination like that again. That makes me think walking in on your parents having sex is a mild shock compared to seeing that...

LOL!! I had stolen the pics off of FB to show someone the grips and had deleted them from my phone, but they were still in the cloud, I guess. If nothing else, maybe I warned TGS off the idea. He asked.

Lon
05-04-2019, 10:02 PM

That is hideous.

Jason M
05-05-2019, 09:49 AM
How about a trip to Robar for one of their finishes? That gun in NP3 with some VZ grips would look cool!

Poconnor
05-05-2019, 12:47 PM
I just put a model 19 snubbie on layaway. If I had a revolver that needed refinishing I would either reblue or send it to Robar for the Rogard black finish with NP3’d action parts inside. If I wanted a bright finish I’d get it hard chromed or NP3’d.

JonInWA
05-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Maybe bead-blast and then parkerize (or a similar, but more durable finish), for that retro-look?

Best, Jon

Jeep
05-05-2019, 07:56 PM
The 2.5 inch barrel Model 19 is one of the finest revolvers ever made. I like them with a high-polish blue, but the matte finish that the State Department pistols had looks pretty good as well.

358156hp
05-05-2019, 08:47 PM
If you put those Bianchi Lightnings on an auction I think you'll be shocked by what its possible to get out of them if they're in good shape.

JAH 3rd
05-06-2019, 07:23 AM
The 2.5 inch barrel Model 19 is one of the finest revolvers ever made. I like them with a high-polish blue, but the matte finish that the State Department pistols had looks pretty good as well.

I bought a Model 19 2.5" blue some 40 years ago. It was my first firearm so it has a special place in my heart. Emotion aside, I found it served well over the years.

Jeep
05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
I bought a Model 19 2.5" blue some 40 years ago. It was my first firearm so it has a special place in my heart. Emotion aside, I found it served well over the years.

I should have bought a Model 19 2.5" blue 40 some years ago. But I was poor, cheap and profoundly ignorant, so I bought a High Standard .22 Magnum instead that looked a lot like the Model 19. I was taught a lesson. I'd like to say that I learned that lesson, but it took many more years before I started to understand that real quality was almost never cheap.

Poconnor
05-19-2019, 10:02 AM
I finally got a model 19 snubby. I wanted one thirty years ago but I figured there was no hurry. I passed on one twenty years ago because it had a red lamp front sight and I wanted a black front sight. Since then they were either too expensive or beat up. I jumped on this one and put it on lay away. I picked it up yesterday and threw on a set of Ahrends retro banana Moradillo (Pau Ferro ) grips3828238282
This one is a keeper. Now that I’m older I have learned the value of red ramp sights