PDA

View Full Version : a big opps

cracker
03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please feel free to move it if needed. Here.s the big opps I had this weekend. While camping I was challenged by the grandson to climb a tree in doing so my gun showed as I reached up.
My grandson says "you have a gun?, I was able to tell him to not to say anything more and told him we need to have a talk. The grandson is 15yrs and we went for a little walk while I explained to him my reasons for carrying a gun, and how nothing good or positive comes from people knowing that you are carrying. I told him he needed to tell NO ONE that I made this choice and I except the responsibility of carrying and the fewer people that know this the better. Now he's 15 and we know some of his friends will know his two sisters may end up knowing ect. How do you keep the fact you carry known to only those in the need to know. It seems as time go's on more and more people are going to find out you are "one of those guys who think you need to carry a gun". I may have gotten thru to the grandkid but we know how loose lips sink ships.
Cracker

JHC
03-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I was born and raised in WI but haven't lived there since I graduated from MU. It's been a very different living in WA, TX and GA. I imagine the CCW law is still a shocker to many in WI.

Among my friends; that is non-gun club friends; just family friends; almost all of them have guns and most of them have permits even if they don't carry all the time. I am frequently asked for advice on either guns or methods for carrying etc. So among family and friends it's probably a "known secret". After assisting one "baseball dad" through his own process he showed his ass bringing it up at a holiday social gathering and I took him aside and gave him what fer about the etiquette of these things and he learned quickly. Part of the process.

It sounds like you managed it as best you could.

What are the chances of you getting to provide the young lad some additional instruction?

Noleshooter
03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't stress about it too much. If anything, talk to him about it more at appropriate times. Growing up, I would have been absolutely shocked if there wasn't a handgun of some kind within arms reach of my grandfather.

I live in a college town in Florida and I have an eclectic group of friends, many of whom are unfamiliar, afraid and some completely against guns/CCW. I don't broadcast the fact, but I don't shy away from having an intelligent, rational conversation with them about the merits of owning and carrying a firearm for personal protection. many had an image of people who carried guns as nut jobs, or compensating or [insert rationalization here] and I try to break that.

The funny thing is, when we out and about there are times when some shady folks come by or we find ourselves in a questionable situation it always seems to be the ones who were against it who make a comment about good thing I was armed (they assume I am at all times).