PDA

View Full Version : Working with two guns

the_swede
03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm currently running two guns. My duty setup which consists of a G17 in a Safariland 6004 and my competition setup which consists of a CZ SP-01 Shadow in an open top holster. I'll be deploying to AFG next year so 2013 the focus will be on the Glock. Pistolwork this year will be competition mostly. Would you recommend focusing solely on the CZ this year or should I try to get some rangetime with Glock aswell? How do you guys do it? I'm aware of the problem wirh working with two different guns.

ToddG
03-25-2012, 11:00 PM
How do you guys do it? I'm aware of the problem wirh working with two different guns.

By not working with two guns. :cool:

Different people acclimate at different paces. For me, I need a solid few days and 1000+ rounds to feel confident with a new gun. Others can reach pretty close to their maximum potential after a box of ammo and some dry fire.

Odin Bravo One
03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I spend the majority of my pistol shooting time on the pistol I am expected to shoot well. It is also the pistol I will be relying on should everything else that day go horribly wrong. The time to wish you had spent more time on a particular skill, or particular piece of gear is not the moment you need it............

But that's just me.

JHC
03-26-2012, 05:37 AM
What do you have at stake in the competition season? Major title etc? Reason for the question is why not compete with the G17?

TCinVA
03-26-2012, 07:59 AM
The advice previously given is pretty solid. If you want to compete and you're issued a firearm for work, make your comp gun as close to your work gun as possible. That way you're developing skill with direct application to the stuff you are going to be using if things go pear shaped on you.

JeffJ
03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Are you shooting limited with the shadow? If so I'd dump it and get a G22 or G35 - still shoot limited, major, and transition to G17 should be pretty seamless - although some folks get timing messed up with going from .40 to 9mm and it takes a little to shake out.

Unless you're just a hair away from GM or something and feel like you just have to stick with shadow - I'd be interested to find out if you really shoot that much better with the CZ over a glock

Tamara
03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
You know you're on a better class of firearms forum when you click on the thread title above and it doesn't lead to a post by a guy who was dual-wielding his PT-92s at the range, trying to recreate a scene from Boondock Saints.

I cannot tell you what a relief that was. Carry on.

DocGKR
03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
IF there is a high likelihood that your life or those of others may depend on your skill with a pistol (particularly LE, military SOF), then it would strongly behoove you to train the pistol your are going to carry on duty/in combat.

Al T.
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Let me approach this from the opposite direction. I'm a Glock guy and got deployed with scant notice. Due to the retarded firearms policies where I was, carrying with a loaded magazine inserted was about all I could manage with my M9. The one time I almost needed it, I racked the slide back just like I would on my Glock. About the 3rd coherent thought I had was - "is the safety on?'. As you probably know, an overhand rack on an M9 can activate your safety.

IMHO, train with the platform that has the most serious consequences possible if you screw up.

JeffJ
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Let me approach this from the opposite direction. I'm a Glock guy and got deployed with scant notice. Due to the retarded firearms policies where I was, carrying with a loaded magazine inserted was about all I could manage with my M9. The one time I almost needed it, I racked the slide back just like I would on my Glock. About the 3rd coherent thought I had was - "is the safety on?'. As you probably know, an overhand rack on an M9 can activate your safety.

IMHO, train with the platform that has the most serious consequences possible if you screw up.

I'm glad it worked out for you. All I've got are glocks right now and I can switch between the 19 and the 34 as well as AIWB and SS without any hitches but when I pick up a gun with a safety I'm like a retarded monkey - they are the opposite of safe for me.

rsa-otc
03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I carry a revolver on the job and compete in both SSR & CDP regularly. When I choose my CDP gun I went with a gun with no safety because there was none on my revolver. IMHO you should keep the two as close a layout and operation as possible. My competition setup is laid out the same as my duty rig. The only exception is that speedloaders ride at 1-2 o'clock in front of the holster and mags sit at 9 oclock opposite side of the body. I have yet to forget in training or competition which I'm running revolver or auto when it comes to reloads.

the_swede
04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Little update. The problem kinda solved itself. After spending a few weeks and approx 2000 rounds with the Shadow I just came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. It's a great gun but not in my hands. Picked up the old Glock again after not having shot it for a few months and still performed better in my hands. Sold the CZ and moved on an experience richer! Thanks for all the tips.