PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Sight Preferences 2019

alex
04-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I've searched the topic multiple times and have read through numerous threads regarding the age old tritium vs. fibers and figured I'd make a post for an updated consensus regarding sight preferences in 2019. I have multiple pistols set up with Dawson Precision Chargers and Ameriglo Bold/Agent sights. I try to run a few miles each night throughout the city and have a G19 riding along because I run through "rough" areas and wouldn't feel comfortable with anything smaller. All of my 19's have Dawson fibers and even though I wipe my sights with a light coat of oil after each run, I've noticed the sights slightly rusting/browning. I love the sight picture they provide but I've also been finding myself in an environment where tritium could be ideal. I've been eyeing the Ameriglo Trooper set because of the new rear that'll fit MOS slides, just want to see what others are running before dropping $100 on sights. I'm always curious as to what others are running or swear by. Thank you.

HeavyDuty
04-25-2019, 10:53 AM
I’ve pretty much standardized on Ameriglo Hackathorns with an orange front. I find the sight picture to work well with my aging eyes. I’m also trying a set of Ameriglo Agents on my G45, not having white rings around the rear vials seems to work, too.

JonInWA
04-25-2019, 11:12 AM
I definitely see the value in an accentuated front sight and more diminished rear sight; my favorite currently is my 92D with a green tritium front with a bright orange surround, and yellow tritium rears with blacked-out rear tube surrounds.

Also a painted front sight (white, green, orange) and a black rear, or using different colors on front and rear dots.

Best, Jon

Bart Carter
04-25-2019, 11:17 AM
...even though I wipe my sights with a light coat of oil after each run, I've noticed the sights slightly rusting/browning...

Eezox dry lube, problem solved.

EEZOX® removes what all the other CLP's leave behind! EEZOX® also provides its unique, penetrating dry lubrication and barrier for corrosion prevention

Clusterfrack
04-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Since my favorite Ameriglo Operator yellow/green sights are discontinued, my current choice is Night Fision.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190425/fe5e50de98cb090bb5ceabdefabb3078.jpg

M2CattleCo
04-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Black U-notch rear, red fiber optic front.

Texaspoff
04-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Ameriglo Bolds, typically with the Yellow/Green Pro glo front. I also use the Orange/Red fronts on some of them. Either way, Ameriglo Bolds are my standard sight setup.

TXPO

Texaspoff
04-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Since my favorite Ameriglo Operator yellow/green sights are discontinued, my current choice is Night Fision.

You could go with the Ameriglo Trooper sights. Provides the same picture as the ones you have posted there, and the rear is serrated.

https://i.imgur.com/BTjIGo1.jpg?1

TXPO

alex
04-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Ameriglo Bolds, typically with the Yellow/Green Pro glo front. I also use the Orange/Red fronts on some of them. Either way, Ameriglo Bolds are my standard sight setup.

TXPO

Thanks man, for Gen 5 guns are you using .180 or .200 fronts?

Texaspoff
04-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Thanks man, for Gen 5 guns are you using .180 or .200 fronts?

My 19X's are using .180 fronts which provide just below a 6 o clock hold, right below the top of the front blade.

I recently picked up a G45, and put a .180 front on it and POA/POI was at the top of the paper at 25 yards. I stuck the .200 back on it and POA/POI is right below the top of the front blade from 5 to 25 yards with 115 and 124.

Glock has done something to the recent production 5th Gens, as I am seeing more of them with the correct POA/POI with .200 fronts.

My 19x's and the first early production G45 I had shot way low with .200.

If you pick up a new 5th gen, check it current POA/POI before you commit to sights.

TXPO

Clusterfrack
04-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Texaspoff what’s the notch and blade width? I prefer a fairly narrow and tight sight picture. My Night Fision have 0.140” notch and 0.140” blade. Operators had a 0.125” blade.

Balisong
04-25-2019, 01:37 PM

I've been considering those as well. But they look kinda sharp. Do you have any experience concealed carrying those and if so have you had any problems with holes in the clothing?

Clusterfrack
04-25-2019, 01:42 PM
I've been considering those as well. But they look kinda sharp. Do you have any experience concealed carrying those and if so have you had any problems with holes in the clothing?

No problems at all. The notch interior edges are very sharp but the rest of the sight is fine.

My only complaint is that in 3 CZ p-07s these sights have a 3” high POI at 15 yds. However, that’s also true of OEM and CGW/Dawson sights.

revchuck38
04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
My favorite is the Ameriglo CAP front sight matched with a plain rear.

LockedBreech
04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Ameriglo CAP, front orange/green, back blacked out except the little orange line at the base. My favorite sights, I used them on all my guns they're made for.

GJM
04-25-2019, 02:52 PM
I have pretty much settled on one iron sight choice for all my important pistols — suppressor height, BUIS.

Mike C
04-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Favorite sight picture is the Square orange front with serrated rear. Just wish I could have gotten a serrated rear with tritium like Ameriglo's GL-416/417. But they don't make a rear like that so I moved over to the BOLD sights. I wish someone with some could get Ameriglo to make the square orange front in heights other than .165" tall. Then I could have my cake and eat it too. Bold rears with square front would be the bomb. I have a hard time splitting a B-8 with the orange dot screaming at me @25 yards plus, its hard to find the top edge of the sight. It was easier to split a B-8 in half with the top of the orange square.

ubervic
04-25-2019, 04:44 PM
I have pretty much settled on one iron sight choice for all my important pistols — suppressor height, BUIS.

THIS.

My older eyes like Trijicon suppressor height night sights——-as back-up to rds. :-)

RAM Engineer
04-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Those were my favorites as well!

alex
04-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone, great suggestions so far

CZ Man
04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
I'll go against the grain here and vote for XS Big Dots. I know people will say you can't hit anything with them at distance, but that has not been the case in my experience, and they are extremely fast to pick up and intuitive.

Dave T
04-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Of all the sights I've tried over the years, the Ameriglo CAP has provided the best sight picture for my 70 year old eyes. I need another set for the latest Plastic Fantastic but unfortunately I can't seem to find them in stock, even with the company. Kind of irritating that they boldly list them but never have them available.

Dave

1slow
04-26-2019, 06:07 PM
Everybody's eyes are different. YMMV.

Currently:
Trijicon HD Orange. Best compromise for me in varied light from hardpan in the sun to twilight to dark.

The yellow is great in dim light it washes out my sight picture in full sun. Flat black is best in sun but not visible when light gets dim.

My dream is a DURABLE fiber optic / Tritium 3 dot sight set.

FNFAN
04-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Everybody's eyes are different. YMMV.

Currently:
My dream is a DURABLE fiber optic / Tritium 3 dot sight set.

Look at the HiViz H3 sights. Had good luck with them so far.

BillSWPA
04-26-2019, 09:03 PM
Dawson tritium carry sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCT125US
04-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Trijicon 3 dot for me.

mrozowjj
04-26-2019, 09:50 PM
Trijicon 3 dot for me.

All of my guns where I have an option have fiber optic front and plain black rear. I've found in any lighting condition where I have enough light to ID my potential target I can see the fiber better than night sights and I want the rear sight to be as uncluttered as it can be.

CCT125US
04-26-2019, 10:00 PM
All of my guns where I have an option have fiber optic front and plain black rear. I've found in any lighting condition where I have enough light to ID my potential target I can see the fiber better than night sights and I want the rear sight to be as uncluttered as it can be.

I get it. Folks can go round and round about what works best for them and how it should work for everyone else. What others call clutter, some call it feedback. I experience ghosting of the top edge that leads to imprecise perception of that edge. 3 dots help me to overcome that. I also like to shoot bowling pins under moonlit skies because it makes me happy. To each their own.

Glockman9mm
04-27-2019, 09:45 PM
My favorite setup right now is the ameriglo protector set which is pretty much Hackathornes but with the yellow front. $61.50 on Amazon. Have them on a G19.4 and a G43. The G43 set came with a narrower rear sight- assuming because of shorter sight radius. Very sharp sight picture on both. The rear may be too sharp cornered for some people’s ways of carrying. Has worked fine for me IWB at 3 o’clock under t-shirt. My other carry glocks all have smooth Glock night sights rear with orange proglo front from Ameriglo.

Edited to add: I blacked out the GNS rears with a sharpie.

rathos
04-28-2019, 01:11 AM
For iron sighted guns I prefer a black heinie rear and a fiber optic front. For red dot guns a black rear with a green fiber optic front.

RJ
04-28-2019, 05:53 AM
On my Glock G19.6 and 26.5: Ameriglo Pro-Glo Tritium fronts in 0.180" and stock rears, either steel all black or Glock NS:

https://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-pro-glo-tritium-fronts

They hit PoI=PoA using a cover dot hold out to 25 yd with anything from Federal AE 115 AE9DP to HST 147.

I like the orange dot for USPSA (G19.5) as well as for SD (G26.5).

WobblyPossum
04-28-2019, 08:44 AM
I’m still liking the Ameriglo Bold sights. The bright orange circle on the front sight is really easy for my eyes to pick up quickly and seems to work well for me in a variety of lighting conditions. I prefer the three dot configuration when using night sights. I prefer a drive the dot sight picture. I remember Dagga Boy stating in a podcast that he used to tell his trainees to cover the scary thing with their front sight and press the trigger until it went away and that made a lot of sense to me.

alex
04-28-2019, 12:17 PM
I was never into the original CAP sights but I came across these: https://handguncombatives.store/products/enhanced-glock-t-cap-sights

By the looks of it, looks exactly like a serrated Defoor rear. These look pretty damn good if that's the case.

BaiHu
04-28-2019, 02:52 PM
You could go with the Ameriglo Trooper sights. Provides the same picture as the ones you have posted there, and the rear is serrated.

https://i.imgur.com/BTjIGo1.jpg?1

TXPO
Odd, I don't find these on their site. I either find serrated rears or flat rear with vials, but not vials w/serrated.

LOKNLOD
04-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Big orange front dot with tritium center, and a plain black serrated rear -- as such, I still haven't found much I like better than Ameriglo Hacks. Those with the lo-viz trit in the serrated rear look good, though. I don't mind have the tritium in the dark, but don't really think it's a "need".

ssb
04-28-2019, 03:13 PM
My preference for pure shooting is a black serrated front sight painted in some sort of hi-vis color (orange, lime green, etc.) paired with a serrated black rear with a square notch. I'd like a deeper notch than, say, Dawsons provide. Dimensions-wise, .115"/.140" have been good to me; however, the current Trijicon Fiber Optics I'm using are .115"/.125" and are working quite well for me. I'm currently playing with fiber optics to see if those work better for me than the big orange square I'm used to, and so far I'm getting good results.

I'd rather have a RDS and hope to move to one this year. With my (non-shooter) single-vision glasses I think that's really the answer for my eyes, as I often have difficulty obtaining a good front sight focus (I don't think I've ever seen the "blurry target, blurry rear, crisp front" on a pistol).

Darth_Uno
04-28-2019, 07:06 PM
I was never into the original CAP sights but I came across these: https://handguncombatives.store/products/enhanced-glock-t-cap-sights

By the looks of it, looks exactly like a serrated Defoor rear. These look pretty damn good if that's the case.

Odd, I don't find these on their site. I either find serrated rears or flat rear with vials, but not vials w/serrated.

I run black Defoors on my iron sight Glocks. They also make the same thing with a fiber optic front sight, I'd have to look up the model #. The same profile with tritium would be ideal, if you feel the need for night sights. I think the CAP's and other Ameriglos are pretty similar, but may or may not be serrated if you're concerned about such things.

BaiHu
04-28-2019, 07:26 PM
I run black Defoors on my iron sight Glocks. They also make the same thing with a fiber optic front sight, I'd have to look up the model #. The same profile with tritium would be ideal, if you feel the need for night sights. I think the CAP's and other Ameriglos are pretty similar, but may or may not be serrated if you're concerned about such things.

I see those all over. I'm interested in seeing what happened with the serrated rears that had low vis vials for night sights and the hi-vis front. Or are we talking past each other and I missed something?

Darth_Uno
04-28-2019, 07:33 PM
https://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/sets

I'll leave it to you to find your preference, or what's available elsewhere.

I've said before that I've never thought a serrated rear made a bit of difference, but I've also said it's not impossible that I'm not good enough to know the difference.

HeavyDuty
04-28-2019, 07:36 PM
https://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/sets

I'll leave it to you to find your preference, or what's available elsewhere.

I've said before that I've never thought a serrated rear made a bit of difference, but I've also said it's not impossible that I'm not good enough to know the difference.

It never used to for me either, but I’ve found that as my eyes age a plain black serrated rear makes a significant difference.

Balisong
04-28-2019, 10:37 PM

That set looks about perfect for me!

God how I wish Ameriglo would make more of these kickass offerings for more HK models.

I may still pick up one of these sets for my G35....

alex
04-28-2019, 11:32 PM
That set looks about perfect for me!

God how I wish Ameriglo would make more of these kickass offerings for more HK models.

I may still pick up one of these sets for my G35....

I just ordered the rear, I have a .165" proglo sitting around somewhere. If only Ameriglo made .256 serrated tritium rear with a .150 notch.. would be perfect imo.

cclark
04-30-2019, 09:17 AM

I bought these a few weeks ago and have taken them out twice. I was running Hacks before these but the front insert cracked off. I like them a lot. Well thought out sights in my opinion. I’m not the best shooter in the world but was able to do decent work with them first time out. 90% A zone hits at 25, 5/5 on an ipsc target at 40 and 4/5 at 50.

Wonder9
05-01-2019, 09:43 PM
I’ve pretty much standardized on Ameriglo Hackathorns with an orange front.

Same

I've been trying out the Ameriglo I-Dot Pros, but I've come to vastly prefer no dot on the rear sight.

KevH
05-01-2019, 10:02 PM
A plain black rear with a gold bead or white bead front sight...a brass bead shined up will do if I'm feeling cheap.

Hi-viz orange sights just don't work for me.

10mmfanboy
05-01-2019, 10:16 PM
I like ameriglo hackathorn, I like the wider rear notch.

Shorikid
05-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Proctor "Y" notch rears with a Dawson fo front. No rust issues the op had. There are complete sets for most major guns now available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
05-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Does anyone like the Glock stock night sights?

STI
05-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Does anyone like the Glock stock night sights?

Ameriglo Gen 5 ones yes. Until the stock finish rubbed off the rear.

spyderco monkey
05-03-2019, 01:29 AM
I bought a used Glock 17L two years ago, and it came with a pair of "Speed Sights" already installed.

At first, I was slightly miffed, as I have not had good luck with "unconventional" sights in the past (Advantage Tactical, XS Big Dot, etc.)

Well, now 2 years later, I love the Speed Sights.

They are extremely easy to see due to the huge front sight, even in the terrible mixed lighting of my local indoor range. Meanwhile, due to the fine diamond tip of the front sight, they are very precise for me. I also really like the "crown" profile of the rear sight, which allows more view of the target around the front sight then a conventional rear.

Overall I feel they are a better mousetrap. I get get a front sight with more visible surface area then an XS Big Dot, with comparable precision to what I get with a 0.09" target front sight.

Here's a random screen grab I found on google, to give a fair idea of how they look on target. Obviously these are not properly aligned in this pic, but it was the best one on google.

TheNewbie
05-03-2019, 03:43 AM
The original Glock night sights, who made them? Glock?

How do you all like them?

alex
05-03-2019, 11:35 AM
I received the enhanced tcap sights yesterday and they're pretty solid.

For me, when I'm shooting fibers, I want to try some type of tritium sights. When I'm shooting tritium, I miss the fibers. I'm used to a .105 front and .125 rear with the Dawsons so the wider front and rear provided by the Ameriglo throw me off. I may just put these tcaps on my G43 and remove the Agent sights on them, U notch isn't for me.

JAH 3rd
05-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Got the AmeriGlo Hackathorns on my Glock 21. Orange donut with tritium insert, black rear. I like the wide notch for quick acquisition of front sight. I like lots of light between front sight as opposed to a tighter sight picture.

Zirk208
05-03-2019, 01:52 PM
The original Glock night sights, who made them? Glock?

How do you all like them?

I believe the originals were made by Meprolight.

spinmove_
05-03-2019, 02:31 PM
I believe the originals were made by Meprolight.

This is correct.

spinmove_
05-03-2019, 02:34 PM
My preference, if I have a choice, is Dawson Chargers with a green fiber front and a blacked out serrated rear. If I don’t have a choice, I’m probably throwing a minimal splash of orange paint on the front sight and blacking out the rear.

Wondering Beard
05-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Something easy to see up front with either color or white and no wider than .125.

Black rear with notch no wider than .156 if using a .125 front.

Can't always get what I prefer so wider black rear notch and wider colored front will do ok.

STI
05-03-2019, 03:16 PM
My preference, if I have a choice, is Dawson Chargers with a green fiber front and a blacked out serrated rear.

Something easy to see up front with either color or white and no wider than .125.

Black rear with notch no wider than .156 if using a .125 front.

I ended up with a Dawson fiber optic .115x.255 front and a Vogel plain serrated .250 with .150w x .130d notch. This hits top of blade POI at 20-25yd on a Gen 5 17. Unfortunately you have to buy the set of Vogels to get just the rear.

Balisong
05-03-2019, 06:11 PM
I bought a used Glock 17L two years ago, and it came with a pair of "Speed Sights" already installed.

At first, I was slightly miffed, as I have not had good luck with "unconventional" sights in the past (Advantage Tactical, XS Big Dot, etc.)

Well, now 2 years later, I love the Speed Sights.

They are extremely easy to see due to the huge front sight, even in the terrible mixed lighting of my local indoor range. Meanwhile, due to the fine diamond tip of the front sight, they are very precise for me. I also really like the "crown" profile of the rear sight, which allows more view of the target around the front sight then a conventional rear.

Overall I feel they are a better mousetrap. I get get a front sight with more visible surface area then an XS Big Dot, with comparable precision to what I get with a 0.09" target front sight.

Here's a random screen grab I found on google, to give a fair idea of how they look on target. Obviously these are not properly aligned in this pic, but it was the best one on google.

I remember a post about these quite some time back. The concept, to me, seems really solid on paper and I've wondered if I'd like them. There wasn't much chatter about it though, and what there was was mostly badmouthing it, but I don't recall any of the specific complaints. Only thing I can think of is a good chunk of target is obscured by them...

spyderco monkey
05-03-2019, 07:53 PM
I remember a post about these quite some time back. The concept, to me, seems really solid on paper and I've wondered if I'd like them. There wasn't much chatter about it though, and what there was was mostly badmouthing it, but I don't recall any of the specific complaints. Only thing I can think of is a good chunk of target is obscured by them...

Its one of those negative feedback loops. No one has them, so theres no reviews, so no one buys them, and all subsequent chatter about them are from people who don't have them, so no one buys them, so now the perception is that the sights must suck because no one has them. Frankly its a tragedy because they really made a better sight design here.

Given what little is out there in terms of reviews, I wouldn't have bought them either. I just happened to luck out and buy a pistol with them already installed. And I'm very happy to have them. Much more visible and precise for me then my Ameriglo Hackathorn sights.

In terms of blocking the target, they actually show more of the target then regular sights due to the cut of the rear. Thats actually one of the things I like most about them, the wide target visibility around the front sight. This also helps them stand out in mixed lighting when the paint is less visible (shooting from shadowy shooting bay to a brightly lit target.)

I've attached a pic from my most recent shooting with them. 16 yards/ 50', cheap steal case, 17L w/ Speed Sights, about 1 shot per second bang bang bang cadence of fire. Despite being a huge front sight, they are quite precise due to the diamond tip, which is where the POI is.

Balisong
05-03-2019, 08:27 PM
That's very cool, I'm pretty sure I'm going to give them a try in the near future. Especially since they're available for most HK pistols now. Last I checked on them they were Glock only (it's been a while).

One of those MGW sight pushers is in my near future as well, hopefully these sights are compatible with them.

spyderco monkey
05-03-2019, 08:45 PM
That's very cool, I'm pretty sure I'm going to give them a try in the near future. Especially since they're available for most HK pistols now. Last I checked on them they were Glock only (it's been a while).

One of those MGW sight pushers is in my near future as well, hopefully these sights are compatible with them.

Awesome, look forward to you're impressions on them.

Its rough being a fan club of one :cool:

HopetonBrown
05-03-2019, 09:13 PM
My friend who is a USPSA M experimented with the Diamond Speed Sights, I just texted him about them and he said "They were ok. But not significantly better than normal sights in my opinion."

richiecotite
05-03-2019, 09:57 PM
.125 pro glo orange front
.130 blacked out rear (non serrated)
Both from ameriglo

I’ve always found hackathorn rears too wide, and I think for different guns they come in different widths. Had a set on an mp45 that had a .165 rear which were great, but then the others I’ve had were .180 width