PDA

View Full Version : What ammo would you like to see made?

spyderco monkey
04-25-2019, 02:37 AM
Inspired by the NRAAM wishlist thread, I thought it would be interesting to make an ammunition specific wish list of what we'd like to see produced.

Things I'd like to see:

Pistol Ammo:

9mm "Hot 'N Cheap" JHP Bulk ammo. Currently there are a number of cheap JHP's on the market, but they are all loaded to "-P" velocities - quite a few 115gr and 124gr subsonics, which is just depressing. The big exception is 9BPLE, which is awesome because its loaded to full power (38,500psi), which gives it decent performance even using a cheap 'cup n core' JHP. And since those projectiles are barely more expensive then FMJ to produce, the ammo ends up being around $0.27-$0.3 per shot, making it affordable enough to buy in bulk and actually use for training. The only downside is that the 115gr tends to be a little shallow on the penetration.

So I'd love to see a similar, 9BPLE/"HnC" 124gr JHP load offered. Decently designed 124gr cup n core JHP, at 1225fps from a 4" barrel - basically similar to the Corbon 125gr +P, which uses a low tech JHP at high velocity to get pretty solid results:
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/11/corbon-9mm-p-125-grain-denim-and-clear.html

If a manufacturer came out with a similar load for 1000rd/$300, 50rd/$20, I think they'd sell all they could make.

Rifle Ammo:

M855A1 "Civilian":The M855A1 is a superbly designed bullet, but due to its steel tip, we will likely never see it available on the civilian market. What I'd like to see is the same projectile design made with a ZAMAK/Zinc tip, which would still offer excellent barrier penetration while not running afoul of AP ammo regs. Since ZAMAK can be injection diecast, it would also likely be pretty damn cheap to make, comparable to a plastic ballistic tip.

Shogun Ammo:

Bulk #1 Buckshot: Currently companies like S&B, Rio, Fiocci have affordable 00 and #4 buckshot, available for around $0.3-$0.35 when purchased in 250rd cases. I'd love to see these same manufacturers offer comparably priced bulk #1 Buckshot.

What ammo would you like to see made?

That Guy
04-25-2019, 03:41 AM
Shogun Ammo:

Bulk #1 Buckshot: Currently companies like S&B, Rio, Fiocci have affordable 00 and #4 buckshot, available for around $0.3-$0.35 when purchased in 250rd cases. I'd love to see these same manufacturers offer comparably priced bulk #1 Buckshot.

What ammo would you like to see made?

I just patterned some S&B #1 buckshot last weekend... The box of 25 shells cost me about $20, and everything tends to cost more here than in the US (yayyyy for $30 per PMAG...) The price was exactly same as S&B #00 and #4 buckshot - I should think that qualifies as affordable? I did buy the last box the shop had, that #1 is rather difficult to get. (Then again, #1 buckshot is pretty difficult to get here in general. It's all either #4 or #00.)

The S&B worked "okay", comparatively speaking, in my Remington 870, keeping approximately 2/3 of the pellets on an IDPA target at about 24 meters. It worked less okay in my girlfriends Mossberg 590.

What I'd like to see is more emphasis on tighter patterns. Geco makes a nickle plated competition buckshot round with low recoil and a pretty decent pattern, but that ammunition suffers from severe extraction issues in my 870 (also moderate extraction issues in her 590). Most other buckshot ammunition is all over the berm from a relatively short range of 25 meters. Not satisfactory performance, in my opinion. During the same range trip, I spent one of my few (as in, less than one box) remaining Federal LE132 00 shells ($4 to $5 each, when they were still available!). A 5.5" pattern at about 24 meters - now that is what I like! While I realize a more budget friendly round probably couldn't repeat that performance, surely there is some ability to tighten those patterns up without making the ammunition ridiculously expensive. Geco already managed the improved pattern bit in an inexpensive shell, after all.

spyderco monkey
04-25-2019, 04:15 AM
I just patterned some S&B #1 buckshot last weekend... The box of 25 shells cost me about $20, and everything tends to cost more here than in the US (yayyyy for $30 per PMAG...) The price was exactly same as S&B #00 and #4 buckshot - I should think that qualifies as affordable? I did buy the last box the shop had, that #1 is rather difficult to get. (Then again, #1 buckshot is pretty difficult to get here in general. It's all either #4 or #00.)

The S&B worked "okay", comparatively speaking, in my Remington 870, keeping approximately 2/3 of the pellets on an IDPA target at about 24 meters. It worked less okay in my girlfriends Mossberg 590.

What I'd like to see is more emphasis on tighter patterns. Geco makes a nickle plated competition buckshot round with low recoil and a pretty decent pattern, but that ammunition suffers from severe extraction issues in my 870 (also moderate extraction issues in her 590). Most other buckshot ammunition is all over the berm from a relatively short range of 25 meters. Not satisfactory performance, in my opinion. During the same range trip, I spent one of my few (as in, less than one box) remaining Federal LE132 00 shells ($4 to $5 each, when they were still available!). A 5.5" pattern at about 24 meters - now that is what I like! While I realize a more budget friendly round probably couldn't repeat that performance, surely there is some ability to tighten those patterns up without making the ammunition ridiculously expensive. Geco already managed the improved pattern bit in an inexpensive shell, after all.

Ah, I hadn't realized that S&B makes a #1 load.

Sadly, for some reason they are loading only 12 pellets, whereas the typical #1 is supposed to be 16 pellets. At that point theres really no benefit vs S&B's 12 pellet 00 load, other then perhaps less recoil.

In terms of tighter patterns, I know thats pretty popular here. Personally though I want the opposite - as much spread as quickly as possible, which is typical of a standard bulk pack buckshot.

But, given that you're paying $5 a round for flite control, I can certainly see why you'd want a cheaper option!

revchuck38
04-25-2019, 06:33 AM
I'd like to see a .357 Magnum HST load with a ~158-grain bullet at ~1000 fps. It'd be perfect for K frames, would hit to POA with fixed-sight guns, and would give better penetration than the lighter bullets. Bumping up the 9mm diameter 147-grain bullet to .357 and rolling a cannelure into it would be fine. Offering it in .38 Special +P+ like they did the Hydrashok 147-grain load would be even more awesome.

Federal would never recoup their investment on it so it'll never happen...but a man can dream. :)

spyderco monkey
04-25-2019, 07:35 AM
I'd like to see a .357 Magnum HST load with a ~158-grain bullet at ~1000 fps. It'd be perfect for K frames, would hit to POA with fixed-sight guns, and would give better penetration than the lighter bullets. Bumping up the 9mm diameter 147-grain bullet to .357 and rolling a cannelure into it would be fine. Offering it in .38 Special +P+ like they did the Hydrashok 147-grain load would be even more awesome.

Federal would never recoup their investment on it so it'll never happen...but a man can dream. :)

Kind of along those lines, I'd really like to see HST's and Gold Dot 9mm's incorporate a cannelure to make them better for 9x19 revolvers.

Currently, there's some risk of bullet jump with 9x19 revolvers due to lack of cannelure.

Hambo
04-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Kind of along those lines, I'd really like to see HST's and Gold Dot 9mm's incorporate a cannelure to make them better for 9x19 revolvers.

Currently, there's some risk of bullet jump with 9x19 revolvers due to lack of cannelure.

Then what you really want is roll crimped 9mm ammo for revolvers.

jlw
04-25-2019, 08:44 AM
20ga FliteControl.

blake_g
04-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Vang Comp...

Corse
04-25-2019, 09:04 AM
38 super loaded with bullets designed for the 357 sig (hst/gd) at decent velocity.

That Guy
04-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Vang Comp...

Okey dokey...

Assume I'm an idiot. (No, really. See my user name.) Now, explain the process how I can get a barrel modified by them?

revchuck38
04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
38 super loaded with bullets designed for the 357 sig (hst/gd) at decent velocity.

Dang, that's even more niche than .357 Mag HST! :cool:

blake_g
04-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Okey dokey...

Assume I'm an idiot. (No, really. See my user name.) Now, explain the process how I can get a barrel modified by them?

Not to be an asshole (which, by the way, I'm especially good at), but literally the very first thing that came up when I punched "Vang" followed immediately by "Comp" in to the Google machine was this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vang+comp&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA770CA770&oq=vang+comp&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j0l4.4495j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

blake

Lester Polfus
04-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Not to be an asshole (which, by the way, I'm especially good at), but literally the very first thing that came up when I punched "Vang" followed immediately by "Comp" in to the Google machine was this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vang+comp&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA770CA770&oq=vang+comp&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j0l4.4495j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

blake

Location, location, location....

That Guy
04-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Ah, I hadn't realized that S&B makes a #1 load.

Sadly, for some reason they are loading only 12 pellets, whereas the typical #1 is supposed to be 16 pellets. At that point theres really no benefit vs S&B's 12 pellet 00 load, other then perhaps less recoil.

Nope. These were 70mm shells with the standard 16 pellet payload.

The same shell with #00 buckshot holds 12 pellets. Perhaps you were thinking of those? S&B does also make both shorter and taller shells, with varying amounts of payload. (Their 63,5mm #00 shells hold 9 pellets, whereas 76mm shells hold 15 #00 pellets. Not that you'd want to deal with that much extra recoil for few more pellets. No idea if either of those are available with #1 buckshot - I've certainly never seen any, but like I said #1 buckshot is scarcer in my country.)

blake_g
04-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Location, location, location....

Well if by "not in the USA" he means "Canada" then he's looking for Casey at Tacord http://tacord.com/ Dasey is the "Vang Comp North" dude...

Casey is my go-to guy for shotgun work as I am also "not in the USA" - this shit really isn't that hard but Jeebus some folks want everything handed to them... LOL

Joe in PNG
04-25-2019, 03:47 PM
.351 WSL and .32 French Long

ranger
04-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Wolf BRASS CASE 6.5 Grendel with a decent BC 120+/- BTHP available in 200 round discount box.

TGS
04-25-2019, 05:43 PM
I think it'd be pretty sweet if Prvi did a run of 10.4x38 Swiss Vetterli…..even better if it was centerfire (Vetterlis are commonly converted to CF and cases made from .348 Winchester).

spyderco monkey
04-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Nope. These were 70mm shells with the standard 16 pellet payload.

The same shell with #00 buckshot holds 12 pellets. Perhaps you were thinking of those? S&B does also make both shorter and taller shells, with varying amounts of payload. (Their 63,5mm #00 shells hold 9 pellets, whereas 76mm shells hold 15 #00 pellets. Not that you'd want to deal with that much extra recoil for few more pellets. No idea if either of those are available with #1 buckshot - I've certainly never seen any, but like I said #1 buckshot is scarcer in my country.)

That's weird, the US version is 12 pellet #1:

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/2200x1650/Primary/460/webp/460575.webp

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1777460575/sellier-and-bellot-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-buckshot-12-pellets

Dave T
05-07-2019, 03:47 PM
After thinking about the OP's question - I would like to see several good loads for the 45 ACP featuring John Browning's original favored bullet weight of 200g. And they don't need to all be +P loadings. JMB chose a 200g @ 900 fps (from a 5" barrel). A well designed truncated cone and an expanding hollow point should be doable.

Just sayin',
Dave

Chuck Haggard
05-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Umm, HST has a cannelure...

Scroll down

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Chuck Haggard
05-07-2019, 06:21 PM
A 158gr WC loaded to "service" velocity.

Would be a superb snubby load that hits to the sights.

RJ
05-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Chuck - If you don’t mind my asking, what 158 gr round currently available would you think comes closest to that ideal?

Thanks a bunch.

Rich

Chuck Haggard
05-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Chuck - If you don’t mind my asking, what 158 gr round currently available would you think comes closest to that ideal?

Thanks a bunch.

Rich

Sadly there isn't one.

Sigfan26
05-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Sadly there isn't one.

It would be nice if someone loaded this:
https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=227&zenid=1jbmk0a29kan6rbo83q12uhhu7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986s4
05-13-2019, 04:34 PM

Yes and let's have some cheap practice ammo, Wolf steel case. Come on Wolf....

the Schwartz
05-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Thanks a bunch.

Rich

How about this:

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_338&product_id=555

It supposedly produces 740 fps from a 2'' barrel and 855 fps from a 6'' barrel.

RevolverRob
05-13-2019, 09:19 PM
+10 fingers for a 147-grain HST in .357 Mag, it's time we had a proper successor to the almost unobtanium 145-grain Silvertip.

+10 fingers to a WC at service velocity in a .38 Special

+10 Fingers + 10 Toes for an HST load that isn't set back in the case like a damn WC making it virtually impossible to reload. Yes, I know you got more "consistent velocity" doing that, Federal, look, just fix it.

+10 Fingers + 10 Toes + 10 of Someone Else's Fingers for that 147-grain .357 caliber HST being loaded into a .38 special case at approximately 850 FPS. Yea, maybe it'll work like a 9mm 147-HST, maybe not. I'll takes my chances.

___

That Guy - get the guns threaded for chokes. It's not perfect, but you'll be able to get them much closer to acceptable for your needs. If that doesn't work, slugs, bro, slugs. At the end of the day, slugs will get it done.

Lester Polfus
05-14-2019, 12:22 AM
+10 fingers for a 147-grain HST in .357 Mag, it's time we had a proper successor to the almost unobtanium 145-grain Silvertip.

I keep meaning to post a separate thread about this but I bought a box of 145 Grain Silvertips last fall. Half the rounds wouldn't chamber easily because of what would best be described as a large burr down at the base of the case. I could give each round an extra shove with my thumb and get the cylinder to close, using them as carry ammo was a no go.

I shot 18 rounds, and figured my chambers were just dirty from shooting wadcutters. It wasn't until after I cleaned the gun really well and tried it again that I figured out the problem.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago with some Winchester 130 grain ball .38 Special practice ammo.

In the interest of full disclosure, I contacted Winchesters customer service and they told me if I shipped it back on my nickel, they would give me a pro-rated refund. I'm 34 miles from a UPS counter that will ship ammo, and I didn't want to blow half a day to get a refund on half a box of ammo, so I never followed through.

Jim Watson
05-14-2019, 09:08 AM
After thinking about the OP's question - I would like to see several good loads for the 45 ACP featuring John Browning's original favored bullet weight of 200g. And they don't need to all be +P loadings. JMB chose a 200g @ 900 fps (from a 5" barrel). A well designed truncated cone and an expanding hollow point should be doable.

Just sayin',
Dave

Have I got a deal for you, Dave.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/796682/hornady-custom-ammunition-45-acp-200-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

I have my doubts as to whether the 1905 ammo was really going 900 fps, but it is still a good load. Available from Hornady as above and the same bullet at 925 fps from Fiocchi. Easily replicated by handloading or a commercial reload with 200 gr SWC at 875 fps for close enough practice.

Dave T
05-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Have I got a deal for you, Dave.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/796682/hornady-custom-ammunition-45-acp-200-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

I have my doubts as to whether the 1905 ammo was really going 900 fps, but it is still a good load. Available from Hornady as above and the same bullet at 925 fps from Fiocchi. Easily replicated by handloading or a commercial reload with 200 gr SWC at 875 fps for close enough practice.

Jim,

I've been carrying the Hornady load for a number of years and have loaded tens of thousands of 200g H&G #68 SWCs, at 900 fps from a Government Model, since 1975. I've read a number of bad reports on the Hornedy XTP performance so I was asking for something new or better. Federal is supposed to have a new 215g Hydro-Shok at 900something fps. I haven't been able to find any source that has it in stock. I suspect it may be "unobtainium" and fade from the market before it sees the light of day.

Dave

Chuck Whitlock
05-16-2019, 09:31 PM

How about the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain .357 Magnum?

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/handgun/critical-duty/357-mag-135-gr-flexlock

Hornady's gelatin numbers look good. I haven't gotten my hands on any yet.

revchuck38
05-16-2019, 09:46 PM

At least for me, I’d draw the line at 145 grains so it’d be reasonably close to POA with fixed-sight guns. I’ve tried the 130-grain Hydrashoks and they hit too low from my 681.

03RN
05-17-2019, 12:54 PM

I know the standard is 12-18" so 14" penatrates "enough" but I want more if I'm carrying a revolver. 16-20" is what I want.

That's also with a vented 8" barrel.

Chuck Whitlock
05-17-2019, 07:53 PM
I know the standard is 12-18" so 14" penatrates "enough" but I want more if I'm carrying a revolver. 16-20" is what I want.

That's also with a vented 8" barrel.

True. I'd like to see the round tested in proper gel from 2.25, 3, and 4 inch barrels.

ETA:

https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-135-gr-jhp-ftx-critical-duty-hornady-critical-duty-25-rounds#geltest

The Lucky Gunner tests look good in 2" and 4" barrels, but it is clear gel instead of ballistic gel.

Stephanie B
05-18-2019, 09:36 PM
.45 Auto-Rim that’s loaded for the shaved Webley Mk.VIs

Sigfan26
05-18-2019, 09:37 PM

That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
05-19-2019, 03:33 PM
That would be awesome.

.455 Webley-AutoRim. They could take .45 AR cases and shave 0.12" off the length.

Baldanders
05-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Mostly, I want better .357 options at Wally World..

--I wish Winchester would revamp their 110 grain load with a bullet like their 115 9mm jhp

--even better, loads that match 9mm 125 and 147 jhp in weight, velocity, and performance

A knockoff of the Extreme Penetrator/Defense line, with jacketed bullets to cut cost, especially in .32acp

.45AR+p+ by mainstream ammo companies, or at least cheaper options than Buffalo Bore

I have no experience with .357 Silvertip, but .357 critical duty definitely fits the niche of "more controllable than full-house loads but more powerful than 9mm+p". Recoil is definitely better than Remington 125gr sjhp and Federal 158gr hydroshock in my 640.

03RN
05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Mostly, I want better .357 options at Wally World..

--I wish Winchester would revamp their 110 grain load with a bullet like their 115 9mm jhp

--even better, loads that match 9mm 125 and 147 jhp in weight, velocity, and performance

A knockoff of the Extreme Penetrator/Defense line, with jacketed bullets to cut cost, especially in .32acp

.45AR+p+ by mainstream ammo companies, or at least cheaper options than Buffalo Bore

I have no experience with .357 Silvertip, but .357 critical duty definitely fits the niche of "more controllable than full-house loads but more powerful than 9mm+p". Recoil is definitely better than Remington 125gr sjhp and Federal 158gr hydroshock in my 640.

Golden Sabers are in the same class, 125/1250fps Considering Remington has 9mm bonded/nonbonded I wish the .357 was bonded as well.

sharps54
05-20-2019, 04:27 PM
I know it won’t happen for liability reasons but modern 9mm defense loads in 9mm Federal or an equivalent “9mm Auto Rim” for 9mm revolvers would be great.

I very much worry about moon clips getting bent so if I had a 9mm LCR or the like I’d use a moon clip in the gun and carry a speed strip for the reload. I can’t imagine reloading a revolver more than once which really limits the need for my request...

Hambo
05-20-2019, 05:03 PM
.455 Webley-AutoRim. They could take .45 AR cases and shave 0.12" off the length.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but as a reloading project that would be incredibly easy.

All I want from the wish machine is factory .30 Herrett brass and a source for .221FB brass that doesn't need annealed before being necked down. :D

BobM
05-20-2019, 05:46 PM
I know it's not what you want to hear, but as a reloading project that would be incredibly easy.

All I want from the wish machine is factory .30 Herrett brass and a source for .221FB brass that doesn't need annealed before being necked down. :D

Midway is showing Nosler and Lapua 221 Fireball brass in stock. It’s more expensive than the Remington that is listed as unavailable. I hadn’t realized Remington wasn’t making it, but I’ve got plenty of once or twice fired

Brian T
05-21-2019, 01:07 AM
135gr+P Speer Gold Dot in 9mm

20ga FC 1B

Hornady Vector

ragnar_d
05-21-2019, 08:45 PM
If I were wishing based solely on my feels and wants, I'd like to see more .32 H&R and .327 FM loads. A Barnes Vor-Tx/TAC-XPD and HST would be a great start (yes, I'm aware of the Gold Dot .327 FM).

Wishing based solely on my uses/practicality, poly coated .22LR ammo that won't lead/smoke bad (I hate cleaning suppressors more than I hate cleaning guns) and more FC #1 available. Also . . .

Ditto to this ^^

Other than that, I'm mostly content with what is available on the market.

Tokarev
05-27-2019, 05:54 PM
True. I'd like to see the round tested in proper gel from 2.25...

Here it is from an LCR. Did well in organic gel. Would probably be my "go to" load for 357 snub currently.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/7/27/testing-the-357-mag-cartridge/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev
05-27-2019, 05:57 PM
If I were wishing based solely on my feels and wants, I'd like to see more .32 H&R and .327 FM loads. A Barnes Vor-Tx/TAC-XPD and HST would be a great start (yes, I'm aware of the Gold Dot .327 FM).

Double Tap has a 75gr 327 FM load that uses a Barnes bullet. They also have a 32 HRM loaded with a 60gr Barnes bullet.

Drang
05-27-2019, 06:51 PM
20ga FliteControl.

This.

Plus I want Federal to hurry TF up with #1 FC in 12.

Since I'm here I'll wish for decent defensive and training loads in .30 Carbine, that little thing is just the home defense "longish" gun for HH6...
(Also, a decent supply of decent magazines for it.)

fatdog
05-27-2019, 07:36 PM
what 158 gr round currently available would you think comes closest

It is a 148gr wadcutter, and not from a mainstream ammo company, but I have been really happy with the Choice Ammunition version (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34400-Some-chrono-data-on-some-factory-38-special-148gr-wadcutters-from-the-2-quot-snub&highlight=wadcutter), been through several hundred rounds now and it is definitely "service velocity" compared to the other .38 WC ammo...

Now if Federal would just emulate that....

Sixgun_Symphony
05-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Bonded or non-bonded 77gr version of the Mk318

beenalongtime
05-28-2019, 09:45 PM
All I could shoot, free.

Tokarev
05-29-2019, 07:24 AM
277 Wolverine as a SAAMI approved factory cartridge.

44 Special +P as a SAAMI approved factory cartridge.

L-2
05-29-2019, 10:45 AM
I'd like to see Kirkland (Costco) branded ammo available at my local Costco warehouse store.

Mike C
05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
I'd like to see Kirkland (Costco) branded ammo available at my local Costco warehouse store.

That cracked me up. Seriously though, wouldn't that be awesome.

Lester Polfus
05-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Dude. I could go once a year and load up on a new tan windbreaker, some dad jeans, batteries and ammo.

Between that and Amazon Prime, I could never leave the house.

Baldanders
06-02-2019, 02:30 PM
I know it won’t happen for liability reasons but modern 9mm defense loads in 9mm Federal or an equivalent “9mm Auto Rim” for 9mm revolvers would be great.

I very much worry about moon clips getting bent so if I had a 9mm LCR or the like I’d use a moon clip in the gun and carry a speed strip for the reload. I can’t imagine reloading a revolver more than once which really limits the need for my request...

This is super unlikely, but a reworked 9mm Federal with a fatter base so as to not fit in .38S&W chambers would be nifty.

Tokarev
06-02-2019, 05:06 PM
This is super unlikely, but a reworked 9mm Federal with a fatter base so as to not fit in .38S&W chambers would be nifty.If they're going to do that they might as well make a 38 +P+ SAAMI spec.

Baldanders
06-02-2019, 06:14 PM
If they're going to do that they might as well make a 38 +P+ SAAMI spec.

It would make more sense for most of us, but I think a "9mm Magnum Revolver" new chambering might make it past the lawyers easier than a .38 +p+

Glenn E. Meyer
06-02-2019, 06:17 PM

How about a rimmed and shorter version in the 32 region? The 32 HR Mags and 327s seem longer than they have to be. One could reduce cylinder length pocket guns. However, this theory of shortening some old round leads you down the road to 45 GAP semi-flop.

sharps54
06-02-2019, 09:49 PM
How about a rimmed and shorter version in the 32 region? The 32 HR Mags and 327s seem longer than they have to be. One could reduce cylinder length pocket guns. However, this theory of shortening some old round leads you down the road to 45 GAP semi-flop.

Maybe, especially if you scaled everything down like the older pocket revolvers. I’d love a modern version of the below revolver. I’ve posted it before, that’s a .380 round pictured and it is a five shot. I think you could get six in a .32 caliber cylinder.

Tokarev
06-02-2019, 10:09 PM
It would make more sense for most of us, but I think a "9mm Magnum Revolver" new chambering might make it past the lawyers easier than a .38 +p+On the flip side I wouldn't mind a light magnum load. Speer or Federal should be able to easily make a 357 Mag load that pushes a 147gr bullet at 1000 fps from a 2" barrel. Something loaded with a Gold Dot or HST at velocity that's about equal to a 4" 9mm auto. Or Federal could use the new Hydra Shok Deep 135 grain loaded to 1100. That would probably work too.