PDA

View Full Version : Recommending an ar

JConn
03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a friend who recently decided to buy an ar. He asked me and a couple of other people for recommendations. I basically regurgitated what experts on here have said and told him to check out this forum and m4carbine. I said he should look at bravo company, daniel defense or colt. However, my friend owns and likes a lot of rugers and has shown interest in purchasing their ar. I have tried to talk him out of it simply because I know nothing about the level of quality of their long guns. My questions for the experts on this forum are: is the ruger ok and if not, what are some good data points for me to use in suggesting something else? If the ruger will work fine, I will drop it.

JDM
03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I'll divert to Jay, Fred, Sean, F2S, and Rob; but the fact of the matter is this:

When there are 3 or 4 companies that build to the Government TDP, why would you pick someone that doesn't?

JConn
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I'll divert to Jay, Sean, F2S, and Rob; but the fact of the matter is this:

When there are 3 or 4 companies that build to the Government TDP, why would you pick someone that doesn't?

I'm right there with you, but unless I have some data to say it's not "just as good" I don't know if he'll take my advice.

I built my first ar from parts. While that was fun and all, I am not 100% confident in it, and if I could do it again, I would buy a noveske, daniel defense, colt or bravo company. I told him all this, to no avail.

Jay Cunningham
03-23-2012, 09:24 PM
If he really wants a Ruger, he should buy it and shoot it. It will probably be fine. I've seen all kinds of ARs break and all kinds run.

Failure2Stop
03-23-2012, 10:25 PM
When talking with those that don't want to listen to what I have to say, I just stop talking. I have come to the realization that people will generally base their decisions on the advice of those that are the least qualified to give it.
The same applies to the skills necessary for employment.
For all too many it requires failure to begin the quest for knowledge and experience.

Kyle Reese
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
With brand new Colt 6920's being available at under $1000, I'd suggest going that route for someone new to the carbine game. If your friend wants a Ruger, good luck with it and I hope it runs.

G60
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
It's not your money, don't sweat it.

This way he won't be able to turn around and say "see, I told you I should have bought an XXX like I wanted..." the first time he experiences a malfunction, no matter what the cause.

vaglocker
03-24-2012, 06:31 AM
You can lead a horse to water ........

Tamara
03-24-2012, 06:44 AM

This way he won't be able to turn around and say "see, I told you I should have bought an XXX like I wanted..." the first time he experiences a malfunction, no matter what the cause.

This strikes me as very sound advice.

rob_s
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
If he really wants a Ruger, he should buy it and shoot it. It will probably be fine. I've seen all kinds of ARs break and all kinds run.

When talking with those that don't want to listen to what I have to say, I just stop talking. I have come to the realization that people will generally base their decisions on the advice of those that are the least qualified to give it.
The same applies to the skills necessary for employment.
For all too many it requires failure to begin the quest for knowledge and experience.

With brand new Colt 6920's being available at under $1000, I'd suggest going that route for someone new to the carbine game. If your friend wants a Ruger, good luck with it and I hope it runs.

All of the above.

I don't bother flapping my gums at people that don't want to listen anymore.

Them: What should I buy?
Me: Get a Colt.
Them: Why?
Me: I've never seen a factory Colt fail, I've seen every other brand fail at some point. If you want me to get into the details I can.
Them: I'm going to get an Olympic, they look the same so they must be the same and they cost $700.
Me: Okeedokie.

People sometimes say they want the details, but as soon as I start explaining the details their eyes glaze over and I know they aren't listening. Or they start asking me what free float rail to put on it.

At the end of the day though I'd rather them have the gun and come shoot with us. I resist the "I told you so" temptation but will give the knowing raised eyebrow when they have a failure. I don't have to sell this shit, this shit sells itself.

JConn
03-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Alright then thank you for the help. What's killing me is the ruger is more expensive than a colt. Oh well, chances are it won't see really hard use anyhow.

JConn
03-24-2012, 08:24 AM

I gave him several links to g&r and cheaper than dirt for colts back when this started. No luck.

joshs
03-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Fred, I don't doubt you. I'm just lazy (and currently driving from CA to NM) so could you send me a link. My wife needs a new patrol carbine and her department only authorizes Colt and Bushmaster.

If you are going Colt, I would get a 6720.

Failure2Stop
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
If you are going Colt, I would get a 6720.Seconded.
Does everything a 6920 does, at a lighter weight.

WDW
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Fred, I don't doubt you. I'm just lazy (and currently driving from CA to NM) so could you send me a link. My wife needs a new patrol carbine and her department only authorizes Colt and Bushmaster.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/196

6920's are out of stock, but they usually have 3 or 4 of them available.

Surf
03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I do a lot of business with these guys. Great company and can't say enough about them.

DSG Arms Colt 6920 $995 (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx)

5pins
03-25-2012, 10:33 PM

Have her take a look at Wal-mart if you can’t fine one anywhere else. I saw a 6920 today for just under $1100.

jmjames
03-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I've been seeing the Colts all over the place too all of a sudden, including WalMart ($1097, I *think* it's the 6920 but I didn't ask for the model number).

J.Ja

Tamara
03-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Have her take a look at Wal-mart if you can’t fine one anywhere else. I saw a 6920 today for just under $1100.

Wow. Imagine getting in a time machine and going back to a gun show in, say, '03 and telling some random attendee that little fact. They'd think you were crazy.

JAD
03-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow. Imagine getting in a time machine and going back to a gun show in, say, '03 and telling some random attendee that little fact. They'd think you were crazy.
It's Morning in America.

ToddG
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Me: Okeedokie.

This is the single most useful word in one's lexicon when dealing with a shooter whose mind is already (poorly) made up. With practice, it can simultaneously convey complete agreement, abject disinterest, and utter contempt.

It's particularly useful with people who own or want to buy XDs and SERPAs.

rob_s
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
This is the single most useful word in one's lexicon when dealing with a shooter whose mind is already (poorly) made up. With practice, it can simultaneously convey complete agreement, abject disinterest, and utter contempt.

It's particularly useful with people who own or want to buy XDs and SERPAs.

At work I frequently also use "Right!"

Boss: I need you to come in this Saturday and sit around doing nothing while the rest of us make up for fucking off all week.
Me: Right!

JSGlock34
03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I do a lot of business with these guys. Great company and can't say enough about them.

DSG Arms Colt 6920 $995 (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx)

Another satisfied DSG Arms customer here. I bought my 6920 there - and they offer a LE/MIL price that discounts that price a bit further. Free shipping codes too (check their subforum on AR15.com or their Facebook page).

fuse
04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
just to update JConn's thread--

the person in the original post is a mutual friend.

he recently bought the Ruger.

then JConn went up to Virginia Arms. Texted me a pic of a DD M4 (do not remember the version, but complete gun with quad rail) that was a little cheaper than what our friend paid for his ruger.

Pretty much broke our hearts.

We tried.