PDA

View Full Version : a step back - Glock Gen 3

30-30
04-17-2019, 02:31 AM
I've been carrying and qualifying with Glock pistols since 1996, started life with a G-17/19/26 Gen3. Transitioned to the G-22/23/27 Gen3 in 2003, then had the opportunity in 2012 to switch back to the G-17/19/26 in Gen4.

In 2018-19 I test drove the Gen5 G-19/45/43X. The Gen5 is a good firearm, reliable, accurate, but there are many changes to the Glock platform that I wasn't looking for or felt that I needed (YMMV).

So back in January I shot a LEO friends Gen3 G-19, call it nostalgia, but I forgot how nice the Gen3 shot and felt in my hand. So I sold all of my Gen4/5 autos and bought two new G-19/26 Gen3's, I've come full circle. The Gen3's that I bought were headed for CA and the price was lower than the newer Glock offerings.

I forgot how much I like the simplicity of the Gen3 Glocks (finger-groves, single-captive recoil spring, small mag release, flat dull finish on the slide, no flared mag-well, no back-straps, single slide stop, no beveled front of the slide, no RTF on the grip, and all). I am wondering if there is anyone else that has "gone back" to the Gen3 too...

Duelist
04-17-2019, 02:39 AM
My first foray into the Glock world was two years ago, a used G26.3. It quickly became my primary carry gun, and is to this day.

steve
04-17-2019, 06:08 AM
I have been carrying the same Glock 26 since 2003. I have most of the Gen3, 4 and 5 models and prefer my Gen3 26 and Gen 3 RTF2's.

dolphin62
04-17-2019, 06:23 AM
I really like mine I just bought it 3 weeks ago. I find that it shoots nice. I have nothing else to compare it to, but I will learn to shoot it well. Got to put the time in .

camsdaddy
04-17-2019, 06:32 AM
I've been carrying and qualifying with Glock pistols since 1996, started life with a G-17/19/26 Gen3. Transitioned to the G-22/23/27 Gen3 in 2003, then had the opportunity in 2012 to switch back to the G-17/19/26 in Gen4.

In 2018-19 I test drove the Gen5 G-19/45/43X. The Gen5 is a good firearm, reliable, accurate, but there are many changes to the Glock platform that I wasn't looking for or felt that I needed (YMMV).

So back in January I shot a LEO friends Gen3 G-19, call it nostalgia, but I forgot how nice the Gen3 shot and felt in my hand. So I sold all of my Gen4/5 autos and bought two new G-19/26 Gen3's, I've come full circle. The Gen3's that I bought were headed for CA and the price was lower than the newer Glock offerings.

I forgot how much I like the simplicity of the Gen3 Glocks (finger-groves, single-captive recoil spring, small mag release, flat dull finish on the slide, no flared mag-well, no back-straps, single slide stop, no beveled front of the slide, no RTF on the grip, and all). I am wondering if there is anyone else that has "gone back" to the Gen3 too...
What this thread and your name tell me is you are a man who knows what works and does not need a lot of fluff. The Gen 3 like the 30/30 has served their owners well and done exactly what they were designed to do for years. Since their release there have been faster, slimmer, more exciting flavors released but it doesnt take away from the the usefulness they provide.

dolphin62
04-17-2019, 06:41 AM
I have been carrying the same Glock 26 since 2003. I have most of the Gen3, 4 and 5 models and prefer my Gen3 26 and Gen 3 RTF2's.

Now I am going to have to get a 26 3gen. This pistol hobby can be a addiction.

blues
04-17-2019, 08:22 AM
I haven't gone back to the future...I just never left the past.

Still carry either a Gen 2.5 G26 I bought in 1995 or 1996...or a Gen2 G19 I bought in 1988 or 1989 (which was updated with a Gen3 frame when the original developed a crack at the mag well.)

I did buy a Gen4 G17 a couple years back as a dedicated nightstand gun (due to wanting a weapon mounted light, and not having the Gen3 frame on my G19 at the time.)

The newer guns may be more better, but I'm satisfied with my relics.

CLaw
04-17-2019, 08:23 AM
I'm kind of the opposite. I have 2 G19 Gen 3's and a G26 Gen 3 from the time of BTF. I have an APEX extractor on the two G19s. The G26 could probably use one... If I could get anything out of them locally, I would surely upgrade to Gen 5 with the breach cut just to not stress over the ejection pattern. I have an obsessive personality, and I tend to fixate on things like weak ejection/btf that has caused three guns to basically sit in the safe collecting dust.

Duelist
04-17-2019, 08:52 AM
I'm kind of the opposite. I have 2 G19 Gen 3's and a G26 Gen 3 from the time of BTF. I have an APEX extractor on the two G19s. The G26 could probably use one... If I could get anything out of them locally, I would surely upgrade to Gen 5 with the breach cut just to not stress over the ejection pattern. I have an obsessive personality, and I tend to fixate on things like weak ejection/btf that has caused three guns to basically sit in the safe collecting dust.

Suppose you could post them up on the exchange here. You’d probably at least net enough to get 1.5, maybe even 2 Gen 5 pistols. I paid $360 out the door for my used Gen 3 G26. I see used Gen 3s going for ~$400, and selling slow b/c tax and the fact that used and new Gen 4s and new Gen 5s are in the same cases at $450-$600 depending on model, age, and condition. So if a guy could get a Gen 3 from a forum member for $350 after shipping and transfer, that’d start to look okay, especially for people who actually like them.

serialsolver
04-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Never mind. Posted without properly caffeinated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vista461
04-17-2019, 09:34 AM
My perfect Glock would be a RTF2 with Gills but a Gen4 mag release. For the next couple weeks before I move to a Beretta 92A1, I’m carrying my G22 RTF2 at work.

HCM
04-17-2019, 09:52 AM

That’s nice if the finger grooves fit your hands and the slide doesn’t draw blood. You do you boo-boo.

J. J. Magnum
04-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Regardless of all the newer bells and whistles the latest generations have it is still hard to beat that "feels good in the hand" experience. If you find one that fits, you should keep it running.

Lost River
04-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Until the Gen 5s came along with the reports of substantially better accuracy, I never felt any desire at all to switch from the Gen 3s.

I started shooting Glocks when the first G21s hit the market, and shot the piss out of the one I had. I only "upgraded" to a Gen 3 G21 when they hit the market, due to the fact that it was a duty gun and I wanted a light on my gun, since I worked at night a lot.

On the topic of the 9mms, if starting over, I would get a Gen 5, but I cannot justify it right now, as my Gen 3s shoot great, and since I really don't shoot competition anymore, the juice is simply not worth the squeeze. I have too many other priorities financially speaking. A house full of little girls and Henry the Happy Hound take a precedence over upgrading to yet another generation of Perfection.

Besides, I seem to do OK with my plastic bunny, bad guy, badger blaster!

http://i.imgur.com/706t1AL.jpg (https://imgur.com/706t1AL)

http://i.imgur.com/YerwjPR.jpg (https://imgur.com/YerwjPR)

Slight thread drift, but the .45 caliber Gen 3s that I have shot/owned have been great in the accuracy department. The G21 and G30s are probably the most accurate Glock models I have ever shot.

** The unluckiest Jack ever..

Old story and I am sure I have told it here before but it demonstrates the G21s accuracy potential (to a degree).

Coming back from a coyote hunting set, , while standing next to the pickup, we see the jack a good ways away from the truck standing motionless looking at us.

I told my buddy "I am going to shoot that Jack in the head." I used my G21 and plunk a 230 grain round right into the Jacks head. Totally luck shot. I walked out there with my laser rangefinder and laser back to the truck.

63 yards back to the pickup.

Pure luck.

I acted like it was no big deal. I was also hoping we did not see any more long range rabbits that he would ask me to repeat the shot that day..

http://i.imgur.com/UQc7DUr.jpg (https://imgur.com/UQc7DUr)

http://i.imgur.com/WLgmMRe.jpg?1 (https://imgur.com/WLgmMRe)

45dotACP
04-17-2019, 11:29 AM
I have experienced first hand how ridiculously accurate the .45 caliber Glocks are. It's truly silly, but I had a third gen G21 that could stay on par with almost every 1911 I've shot barring some higher end guns.

I also love the bigger grips. They handle .45 better than almost every other 45 gun out there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

noguns
04-17-2019, 02:16 PM
I've tried different platforms and came full circle. Back to my first 2005 g19 and recently traded a ppq for a Vickers fde rtf2 that is my carry pistol.

Love them both. I must add that my newer Vickers has a tighter lockup and is noticeably more accurate when I shoot slowly for groups. Tempted to put a kkm in my older "frying pan" g19.

30-30
04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
the juice is simply not worth the squeeze.

Lost River -- that is possibly the best comment I've seen all year... you made my day... :)

Lost River
04-17-2019, 06:08 PM
I have experienced first hand how ridiculously accurate the .45 caliber Glocks are. It's truly silly, but I had a third gen G21 that could stay on par with almost every 1911 I've shot barring some higher end guns.

I also love the bigger grips. They handle .45 better than almost every other 45 gun out there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yep,

A few years after I went to an agency that issued G21s and my personally owned G21 that I had carried for work was no longer filling such a role, I replaced the night sights with a narrow .10 fiber optic front and an adjustable rear, since it was such an accurate gun. They definitely shoot better than most people realize.

KevH
04-17-2019, 10:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DdnzgSPl.jpg

To me the Gen3's feel like the handshake of an old friend.

I've owned a dozen or so Gen3's since 2000. I also have had and sold a couple Gen4 guns and currently own a Gen5 G19.

The gun pictured above is my G17 I bought new in 2009. It has a Sevigny Carry rear, a Trijicon XR front sight, a Jentra plug and a Wilson barrel. Everything else is bone stock.

It's been my duty gun and main squeeze since mid 2013 when my department finally approved and began issuing 124gr +P HST instead of the 115gr Remington "Express" garbage they had issued previously. It has the black "frying pan" finish and has worked 100% since Day 1.

I've shot Gen4 17's and own a Gen5 19, but there is nothing about those guns that do anything better than this one. Until Glock comes out with something substantially better I'll stick with this one.

JRB
04-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Here I was going to post in this thread about how I'm still happy with my Gen 2 G19, but now Lost River has me looking at surprisingly cheap Gen 3 G21's available on the used market.

This site is expensive. :eek:

Lost River
04-18-2019, 12:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DdnzgSPl.jpg

SNIP...To me the Gen3's feel like the handshake of an old friend.

... SNIP

Yep, that is a pretty good way to put it and exactly why I carry a G34 as a work gun daily.

Sights and a spring change, otherwise bone stock.

It is like the Energizer Bunny and I just don't mess with it.

http://i.imgur.com/wa0Vc5w.jpg (https://imgur.com/wa0Vc5w)

MrInox
04-18-2019, 12:15 PM
Ive had a gen 3 g19 for about a decade now. Got my cpl with it. Its always felt fat in my hands and the mag release is tiny and remains stiff and irritating after all these years. The trigger safety gets irritating after a few hundred rounds, but ive found that to be the same with every glock ive ever owned. To be fair, Its always been reliable with everything ive fed it and my mom could shoot it decently.

Hopefully ill be trading it towards an APX soon.

theJanitor
04-18-2019, 12:24 PM
And people still look at me funny when I say I still use a 40 year old 1911:cool:

Lost River
04-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Here I was going to post in this thread about how I'm still happy with my Gen 2 G19, but now Lost River has me looking at surprisingly cheap Gen 3 G21's available on the used market.

This site is expensive. :eek:

LOL, glad to help!

So I am being conservative when I say that between my first one , (a very early production gun, though technically speaking a Gen2) and a couple personally owned Gen 3 G21s, plus my issued one, I was pretty far north of 50K. I doubt I ever hit 100, but I never kept track. This was from the ealy 90s through the early 2000s. I used to tear off the ends of the cartons of the 1k flaps of primers that went through my dillon 550 but got tired of that and tossed them eventually. Plus when I went to an agency where I became an FI, and had access to copious amounts of ammo, I pretty much stopped loading .45. It also was during that time that due to my work schedule and other factors that my competition shooting really dropped off substantially.

Talking with a couple people who knew about such things, I understand that 1 SFOD-D looked at them very early on, but passed due to reliability. I believe this was due to the very early ones had some growing pains with the magazines. That was resolved many years ago though. Mine have been absolutely amazingly reliable. In fact a lot of my local matches back in the day that I won (in my class/division) were not due to anything other than the fact that my gun always went BANG no matter how dirty. There were guys that were faster/better, but their race guns puked, when mine did not. simple as that.

It was just plain rock solid reliable, and accurate. They are bigger guns, but they are about the softest shooting .45s I have ever played with.

http://i.imgur.com/RUk1fDR.jpg (https://imgur.com/RUk1fDR)

I can't remember the year, I think it was 03-04 maybe?

Anyways, I am friends with a gentleman by the name of John Shaw. Older USPSA/IPSC shooters may recognize the name. Newer guys probably not, but he was a big name in the early days of the sport and won a bunch of titles. Anyways, he has a school down in Mississippi called Mid-South Institute. A lot of .Mil outfits used to go through there, especially Navy.

Back to the point, I went down to the school to run through it. I ran my G21. It is a very high volume school. You don't tape targets after the first morning of determining your "no-miss pace", and there is extremely little standing around.

You also do not pick up brass. John pays people to pick up brass for you. His philosophy was that certain guys time was far too valuable to be spent picking up brass. When you are not shooting, you should be listening to an instructor and loading magazines. Nothing else.

So to the point, I ran slightly over 5,000 rounds in 3.5 days through my .45 Glock 21. Zero malfunctions. I also never cleaned it. I simply added more oil. I wanted to see when it would choke. I added a fair bit of oil, more than is call for per specs, but I am a believer in lubricating metal to metal contact points. The gun was filthy. I was running hot 230 grain Blazer ball ammo. The gun just ran and ran. The range has a bunch of self resetting steel, so we simply shot, and shot. And taped fingers as I recall.

The only thing I finally did was clean off the tritium front sight, as it was so carboned up you could not see it very well. This was for the final shoot house stuff after we were done with the automated steel ranges. That was probably the most pistol shooting I have shot in such a compressed time frame.

The punchline is that Glock 21s really run.

41magfan
04-18-2019, 01:33 PM
To some degree, a Gen 3 pistol is a step forward for me.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/9cfnbq.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/po9cfnbqj)

Whirlwind06
04-18-2019, 08:42 PM
So where do you get new gen 3s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
04-18-2019, 08:49 PM
What parts are interchangeable between a Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock?

KevH
04-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Bud's has them....or pretty much any gunshop in California...although I would not buy a new Gen3 now.

Honestly, I think the Gen5 is an improvement in most ways if you're just starting out in Glock land. My Gen3's just work for me because I already had them.

EVP
04-18-2019, 09:29 PM
I think people in general get more caught up on the new things then they should.

The older vintage gen 3 g17s are the most reliable and best models. This is what Glock reliability and durability was built on. I have gen 5s but that is just how it shaked out since I moved from HKs to Glocks once the gen 5s came out.

Honestly if I had 3-5 pre 2009 gen 3 g17s I would be totally happy/content and not feel the need to look for grass that is greener on the other side.

GJM
04-18-2019, 09:30 PM
I think a Gen 3 Glock, especially in 9mm is a great pistol. I still have a bunch, and my wife and I shot them for years. With the rough intro of the Gen 4 pistols, the Gen 3 Glock pistols seemed a safer choice for some time.

While the Gen 3 pistols are quite shootable, and there can be variation by individual pistols, I think that overall, the Gen 5 pistols are superior. Typically they are more accurate, the texture is better for me, the magwells make reloads easier, with the new cut they eject like an HK, they can be optics ready, they are more durable by design, and the triggers are some of the best out of the box triggers Glock has produced.

30-30
04-19-2019, 01:07 AM
Thank you for all of the replies... for me the Gen 3 has always been a good platform, the newer generations are very good too. But as I stated at the beginning many of the changes that were made to the Glock Gen 4/5 are things that I felt I never needed or was looking for.

As I test-drove the G45/19/43X in Gen5 (did shoot a couple mags through a Gen5 G17) I realized that I didn't like the flared magazine well, the beveled slide and frame, the half-moon cut-out, the ambi-slide stop, the new slippery finish, front serrations, and the marksman barrel (I always thought Glocks were accurate).

I like CHOICE, and I'm glad that Glock has given us choice in five generations...for me the Gen3 is my choice (YMMV)...

farscott
04-19-2019, 06:53 AM
I have been shooting Glocks since 1989 with the original G17, but I only have used the first, third, and fifth generation service-size (I am not sure into which generation the G43 fits) guns. Never planned it that way, but that is what happened. I really like the G45, and I would start with the fifth-generation guns if I was starting today. But I have a lot of third-generation guns and parts, most of which have been modified to suit my small hands and short fingers. My NPE gun is a G26.3 with a Robar grip reduction, my usual Glock carry gun is a Boresight Solutions G17.3, and I have a project gun I am building on a Cold Bore Customs G17.3 stripped frame cut down to use G26 magazines. The intent is for it to be the Glock version of a Colt Concealed Carry Officer's ACP. It should make for an excellent IWB carry gun.

So I do not feel at a disadvantage with the third generation of Glock pistols. But the fifth generation guns are objectively better.

JTQ
04-19-2019, 07:47 AM
... I only have used the first, third, and fifth generation ...
Hmm, that's odd.;)

The Gen 5 does seem like a better mousetrap, but it seems like 35 years of Glock marketing - increased performance with polygonal rifling (marksmanship barrel), minimal/streamlined controls (ambi-slide lock), super durability (whatever the new slide lock spring or something) - is pretty tough to shake off.

Lost River
04-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Like a couple of you, I have found the Gen 2s to make pretty solid carry guns.

The fact that they never had finger grooves was something I always liked about them.

I carry this Gen2 G17 a fair bit when on my own time.

http://i.imgur.com/gvu93Ve.jpg (https://imgur.com/gvu93Ve)

Of course we could step further back and look at the original generation of "Perfection", which was a pretty decent gun , and now has become a bit of a collector's item to some. This one is 100% bone stock, right down to the magazine.

http://i.imgur.com/i96SS6N.jpg (https://imgur.com/i96SS6N)

Robinson
04-19-2019, 08:35 AM
My only remaining Glock is a Gen 3 G34. I owned a Gen 4 and a Gen 5 -- they had some advantages but they were both MOS models with limited rear sight choices available. The Gen 5 would always auto-forward on a mag change too which annoyed me.

I prefer no finger grooves so I liked the Gen 5 for that reason, plus it had the best trigger of the bunch. The Gen 4 was a solid gun. The Gen 3 works just fine even with finger grooves and lack of changeable back straps. The Gen 3 mag release is a bit smaller and stiffer than the Gen 4/5.

JonInWA
04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
I have a Gen 3 G17, G19 and G21. They're all superb guns, all have exceptional triggers and accuracy. The G17 is box stock, with the exceptions of a Glock extended slide release, Glock steel sights, and a segment of mountain bike innertube on the grip for added traction. I've had personal bests with this Glock in IDPA and GSSF competitions.

The G19 and G21 have all been somewhat parts-bin tuned, but only with OEM Glock components. The G21 also has the mountain bike innnertube for additional grip, and a set of Warren-Sevigney Carry sights; the G19 came with a set of Trijicon tritium sights as the OEM sights. Both have been somewhat tailored and tuned by switching out various OEM Glock action components (triggerbars, connectors, trigger component springs primarily).

While I think that overall the Gen5 guns are significant improvements (both intrinsically and finish-wise), my individually tuned and vetted Gen 3s are hardly obsolescent, and I feel no compulsion to sell or trade them for corresponding Gen5s. My specific Gen 3s are both intrinsically superb (as tuned) and very well suited for my needs. Additionally, for heavy use/exposure in muddy/silty/sandy/fine dirt/dust environments, the Gen 3 flatwire OEM RSA may be advantageous, in that if they're gritted up its easy to remove any clogging media and drive on; with the Gen4/Gen5 triple nested RSA, in that situation, the best recourse might be to replace the RSA out of necessity. Admittedly for most of us that's probably an outlier scenario.

My only Gen4 is my G22, which is excellent, and I recommend the Gen4 G22 oveer its predecessor G22s because I do think its a better platform for the .40 cartridge inherently (due to the triple nested variable spring RSA and structural frame mods), and because of the other improvements (frame surface grippiness, gripstrap/gripstrap beavertail options) and the larger extended magazine release; mine additionally has Glock steel sights and a Glock extended slide release, and the slightly more protrusive FBI magazine release. An ideal .40 G22 is probably the Gen5 one that Glock produced for the Brazilian police, with a G37 heavier slide, but it's uncertain if Glock intends to add this to the commercial market.

In summary, I think that an out-of-the-box Gen5 is likely to be a better, improved Glock from the onset, but a judiciously tuned Gen 3 (as individually deemed necessary) is very much its peer, and certainly viable. However, if I was to need to choose a new Glock today, it absolutely would be a Gen5, at least for 98% of any scenario/environment that I'm personally likely to be in. If I was to need to spend significant time in a fine dust/dirt/sand/rotorwash environment, I might be slightly more inclined to go the Gen 3 route (or simply to have spare RSAs on hand if a Gen4/5).

As others have mentioned, my Gen 3 G21 has been exceptionally accurate and reliable, although it's probably the most difficult Glock I have to fire at speed, both due to the inherent characteristics of the .45 ACP cartridge and its recoil, and the larger girth of the G21. Regardless, I've certainly done decently with it in IDPA and GSSF, as well as for duty/concealed carry. Its a great, albeit slightly bulky warhorse, but I don't shoot the shorter-framed Gen 3 SF or Gen4 G21s any better, so my tuned and vetted Gen 3 G21 is going no place.

Best, Jon

Nephrology
04-19-2019, 12:04 PM
I like my Gen 3 26s and have a Gen 3 19 that I carried for many years. It shoots well. Still prefer the smaller backstrap of the 4th gen guns but the Gen 3s definitely still work as well as they did when they first came out.

LockedBreech
04-19-2019, 12:19 PM
I ended up in a similar place, although not with the Glock Gen 3. After spending the last 7-8 years trying out essentially every gun under the sun (Glock Gen4, tons of Berettas, Walther PPQ and P99, HK VP9, a few Sigs) I ended up with a full system of M&P 2.0s and I can't see switching any time in the foreseeable future. Mine are all reliable, accurate, simple, and comfortable.

Once you find a gun that fits you, it's perfectly fine to be like you know what....handgun needs met, I can spend money in other places.

JSGlock34
04-19-2019, 12:46 PM
My GEN3 Glock 34 remains one of my favorite pistols, and I regularly compete with it. As others have said, GEN5 guns are objectively better in just about every measurable way. One feature I definitely prefer in the GEN4/5 guns is the frame texturing; I frequently used skateboard tape on the GEN3 guns, but as I started gripping the gun much harder, I found the tape needed replacement more often. I finally sent my frame to Wilson Combat for stippling and I'm very happy with the results.

Gadfly
04-19-2019, 12:52 PM
I have my gen 3 26 that was my duty gun from about 2006 to 2014. Had to side line it because someone finally noticed I had done a back strap reduction to it to remove the hump... No one cared for 10 years until someone was a snitch. I was forced to upgrade, so I got a gen 4. I like the slightly smaller grip and the larger mag release better than the 3. For me, the gen 3 is nice, but I am sticking with the 4 and not looking back.

We don't authorize the gen 5 for duty (some issues came up in testing, so no gen 5 for the foreseeable future). Having shot my sons gen 5 19, I like it... but don't know if I like it enough to buy all new Glocks.

CleverNickname
04-19-2019, 12:59 PM
I don't need a different backstrap size, I'm right-handed, and I unlike a lot of people I don't mind the finger grooves, so I've never seen a need to get rid of my old Gen 3s and go to Gen 4 or 5. In fact, all the Glocks I've bought since Gen 4 was released have been used Gen 3's. They're cheaper and there's no downside for me. It keeps me from having to stock spare parts for different generations too.

TheNewbie
04-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Picked up a Gen 3 RTF G17 today.

deputyG23
04-19-2019, 08:03 PM
I guess I have stayed two steps back. All four of my personal Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5. My issued G23 gen 4 likes to BTFH me about every hundred or so rounds. No issues with any of the older versions except the mag well of my G17 has developed a C- shaped crack that will break off eventually. It was a regional jail weapon originally so not surprised. I have resisted the urge to buy any of the G5 versions since my older ones do nearly everything I require. That also frees funds up for my irrational addiction to round butt K frame S&W revolvers.

blues
04-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I guess I have stayed two steps back. All four of my personal Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5. My issued G23 gen 4 likes to BTFH me about every hundred or so rounds. No issues with any of the older versions except the mag well of my G17 has developed a C- shaped crack that will break off eventually. It was a regional jail weapon originally so not surprised. I have resisted the urge to buy any of the G5 versions since my older ones do nearly everything I require. That also frees funds up for my irrational addiction to round butt K frame S&W revolvers.

Are you going to send it back to GA for a new frame? They had my 19 back to me in a week or less under warranty. I don't mind the Gen3 finger grooves, though. (Was happily surprised about that.)

J0hnny
04-19-2019, 08:17 PM

California :cool:

I have an L prefix G19 and an N prefix G17 with about 10K on each with zero malfunctions other than some WWB primers that never fired. The G19 has Austrian proof marks and has the best out of box Glock trigger I've every experienced. I installed Vickers mag releases on both. As I recall the 17 had some BTF but was mostly corrected with the 30274 ejector swap. When SSE was a thing I picked up a couple Gen4 17s & 19s and much prefer their texture. Gen5s are available at significant markup and are not on my radar

deputyG23
04-20-2019, 04:17 AM
Are you going to send it back to GA for a new frame? They had my 19 back to me in a week or less under warranty. I don't mind the Gen3 finger grooves, though. (Was happily surprised about that.)

I do remember you mentioning your G19 frame swap. Somewhere in my desk is our Glock district representative’s business card. Will call him next week while I am recuperating from my final (hopefully) cataract surgery.
The G3/4 finger grooves work for me as well since my fingers are small.

blues
04-20-2019, 08:06 AM
I do remember you mentioning your G19 frame swap. Somewhere in my desk is our Glock district representative’s business card. Will call him next week while I am recuperating from my final (hopefully) cataract surgery.
The G3/4 finger grooves work for me as well since my fingers are small.

Good luck with the cataract surgery.

When I had my G19 worked on, I simply called Glock HQ in Smyrna and spoke with "technical services", also showed an image I had posted here on P-F.

The gent, "Kevin", I believe it was, told me that it would be covered under warranty and had me complete the form to accompany the G19. Couldn't have been easier.

(I don't recall whether the fact that I was LE when I purchased for use on / off the job was a contributing factor to the warranty coverage or not. But do mention it just in case.)

Thy.Will.Be.Done
04-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I still really like the G19 Gen 3... now the G17 Gen 3, I very much am not a fan of given the Gen 5 is available now. Still, Wish the trigger reach was a tad shorter on Gen 3 G19 though... but that is my gripe with almost all double stack pistols.

TheNewbie
04-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Almost shot a perfect score qualifying today with my Gen 3 RTF. Had two below the ring of perfection when I had to shoot from the hip. Let’s blame the target being tall and me being short. :cool:

First time I shot a Gen 3 in 10 years.

The grip feels too big but combined with the RTF, gives me positive control over the gun.

Lyonsgrid
04-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have a line on a new blue label Gen 3 17? I work with a guy who's been looking for one and all the local blue label Glock distributors and dealers are fresh out with no ETA.

HCM
04-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Does anyone have a line on a new blue label Gen 3 17? I work with a guy who's been looking for one and all the local blue label Glock distributors and dealers are fresh out with no ETA.

Blue labels are regional so it will need to be somewhere in your region. Might be better off just picking up a PD trade in.

Darth_Uno
04-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Well I just picked up two new gen 3 frames from Big Tex Outdoors so that tells you how I feel about it.

I can’t say Gen 3’s are clearly superior, I just like them better. Better than Gen 4’s anyway. Haven’t spent enough time on a 5 to say.

TheNewbie
04-22-2019, 08:58 PM
I wish 10+ years ago I had bought two Gen 3 17s, NY1 triggers, any sight that mostly worked and spent the next decade becoming an awesome shooter. Gen 3 makes life more simple.

TheNewbie
04-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Have a NY1 trigger and SCD on my Gen3 G17 . All is well.

blues
04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Have a NY1 trigger and SCD on my Gen3 G17 . All is well.

I had NY triggers on my G26 and 19 which were returned to the mother ship for updating in the past year or two. My NY triggers were replaced, (not by request), and I don't miss 'em at all. (They were mandatory "upgrades" with our agency in the mid 90's.)

(I removed the "gadgets" before shipping as there was no way I was going to have them sent back without.)

TheNewbie
04-24-2019, 12:29 PM
I had NY triggers on my G26 and 19 which were returned to the mother ship for updating in the past year or two. My NY triggers were replaced, (not by request), and I don't miss 'em at all. (They were mandatory "upgrades" with our agency in the mid 90's.)

(I removed the "gadgets" before shipping as there was no way I was going to have them sent back without.)

What I like about the NY1 most is while the increased take up is nice, more importantly it gives the SCD more to overcome and makes the SCD even more effective .

I wish I could get the pull to be smoother , but I can make it work as is.

30-30
04-24-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm connected to a LE Agency...no blue label for Gen 3 on my piece of the earth so I went internet shopping and found what I wanted, paid more ($479.00), but I like the fact that I was able to obtain brand new Gen 3 Glocks... good hunting.

jlw
04-24-2019, 01:04 PM
I still carry a Gen3 19. I didn’t realize it was a step back. Maybe it’s just that I’ve never stepped “forward”.

JonInWA
04-24-2019, 01:31 PM
My thought is that the Gen 3 G19 (and quite possibly G17) are superior in at least some aspects to Gen4 G19s and G17s, but that the Gen5s are probably at least slightly intrinsically superior to both generations. Not that I feel compelled to divest myself of my Gen 3 G17 and G19...

Best, Jon

TheNewbie
05-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Picked up a LAV Gen 3 G17 RTF today. It's my second RTF Gen 3 17.

Now I all order a spare parts kit and be set for a while.

Lost River
10-29-2019, 07:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/soAPnl3.jpg

Yea, though I walk through the valley, I shall fear no evil, for I have a Gen 3 G21 SF and a bunch of big old slugs in it!

El Cid
10-29-2019, 08:37 PM
I always found the Gen 1-3 Glocks to be too slippery in terms of the grip/frame. When I did carry one I had to use a Hogue slip on rubber grip but they would eventually get loose and rotate. For me to go back to a Gen 3 it would have to be stippled. I like the Gen 4-5 texture and think it’s a solid compromise between having enough purchase to shoot quickly while not destroying clothing.

The Gen 3 guns I have and enjoy are either RTF2 (used for HD or matches because they are too aggressive for carry IMO), or models Glock still refuses to sell in a 4/5 such as the G17L. And I would ditch them in a heartbeat for a Gen 5 17L and Gen 5 RTF2.

I realize recoil is subjective but to me the 4/5 guns with the new RSA recoil less. The first time a buddy let me shoot his new G21.4 I thought he had it loaded with “mouse fart” hand loads. He laughed and told me it was factory 230 ball. It felt like a 9mm when I shot it.

zaitcev
10-29-2019, 09:40 PM
In an additional twist, users of DIY Polimer80 guns in effect are stuck with the Gen3. That includes BTTF, which the G45 notch finally cured, supposedly.

MGW
10-30-2019, 06:22 AM
I’ve seen several new Gen 3 26, 19, and 21s locally listed as LE contract over runs. $460 for the 9mm and $480 for the 45. The 21 is tempting just because I’m sitting on a lot of 45.

Wondering Beard
10-30-2019, 07:15 AM
I always found the Gen 1-3 Glocks to be too slippery in terms of the grip/frame. When I did carry one I had to use a Hogue slip on rubber grip but they would eventually get loose and rotate. For me to go back to a Gen 3 it would have to be stippled. I like the Gen 4-5 texture and think it’s a solid compromise between having enough purchase to shoot quickly while not destroying clothing.

The Gen 3 guns I have and enjoy are either RTF2 (used for HD or matches because they are too aggressive for carry IMO), or models Glock still refuses to sell in a 4/5 such as the G17L. And I would ditch them in a heartbeat for a Gen 5 17L and Gen 5 RTF2.

I realize recoil is subjective but to me the 4/5 guns with the new RSA recoil less. The first time a buddy let me shoot his new G21.4 I thought he had it loaded with “mouse fart” hand loads. He laughed and told me it was factory 230 ball. It felt like a 9mm when I shot it.

My only G21 is a gen2 and it is incredibly soft shooting.

RAM Engineer
10-30-2019, 10:39 AM

A Gen5 G45 RTF2 MOS would be probably my dream gun. The only Gen 3 guns I still have are a 21SF and my two Vickers RTF2 G19s.

M2CattleCo
10-30-2019, 08:14 PM
I remember when Gen 3 was all they made and they made them well with decent plating on the small parts, machined extractors and locking blocks, and a straight ended trigger bar that yielded a delicious a stock trigger after a few boxes of ammo.

The late Gen3s slipped in quality, the Gen4s were a debacle, the eleventeen different variants and variations of the Gen5 are just a complete mess. The company seems to have no mission or direction, but they sell like hotcakes for some reason.

JonInWA
10-31-2019, 11:32 AM

I've found that a segment of mountain bike innertube on the receiver, cut so that it's covering most of the gripping area works well. It provides superior gripping, doesn't tend to move, and is much thinner that the after-market alternative slip-on grips. And they're dirt cheap-heck, just go to a bike store and ask for an old innnertube and they'll probably just give you one gratis. Even a brand new one probably won't cost more than $5-$10 bucks.

While I prefer the texture of the Gen4 Glocks, the innertube solution brings my older Glocks up to gripping parity.

Best, Jon

gato naranja
10-31-2019, 12:17 PM
I remember when Gen 3 was all they made and they made them well with decent plating on the small parts, machined extractors and locking blocks, and a straight ended trigger bar that yielded a delicious a stock trigger after a few boxes of ammo.

Part of me still thinks that my circa-2000 Gen 3 Glocks were the ones I should have kept.

g n

GAP
10-31-2019, 12:46 PM

The late Gen3s slipped in quality, the Gen4s were a debacle, the eleventeen different variants and variations of the Gen5 are just a complete mess. The company seems to have no mission or direction, but they sell like hotcakes for some reason.

That’s why once I switched to Glocks, I locked in a few 19’s and 26’s and have ignored the marketing of the past decade.

I buy ammo and enjoy life instead of obsessing over the “latest and greatest” that are actually a step back in the logical areas.

SAWBONES
10-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Similar to what some others have said above, my experience with owning seven Gen 3 Glocks in calibers 9mm, .40 and .45 is that the trigger linkage smoothness and plating quality were better than in subsequent generations, but that "gripability" of the frame was so poor (worthless "grenade checkering" and finger grooves) that some sort of grip enhancement treatment was almost a necessity.

Now that Glock has improved the frame traction and is offering a degree of fit variation via interchangeable backstraps, it's too bad that the Gen 5 guns can't use the older Gen 3 trigger parts that I'd stockpiled.

Leroy
10-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Similar to what some others have said above, my experience with owning seven Gen 3 Glocks in calibers 9mm, .40 and .45 is that the trigger linkage smoothness and plating quality were better than in subsequent generations, but that "gripability" of the frame was so poor (worthless "grenade checkering" and finger grooves) that some sort of grip enhancement treatment was almost a necessity.

Now that Glock has improved the frame traction and is offering a degree of fit variation via interchangeable backstraps, it's too bad that the Gen 5 guns can't use the older Gen 3 trigger parts that I'd stockpiled.

Gen 5 guns take Gen 4 and Gen 3 parts. I have really grown to dislike the Gen 5 trigger. I put a Gen 4 and Gen 3 trigger parts in a couple of Gen 5s. It is way better.

Nephrology
10-31-2019, 04:49 PM
I find the slimmer Gen 4 frame to be a huge improvement in my grip on the Glock 19, but the 17 not so much. Have never shot a Gen 4 g26 but I never struggled with the frame size on that one quite like I did the gen 3 19 for whatever reason.

I still have a gen 3 19 and its a good shooter but my gen 4s are what I practice with/carry. my g26s are both gen 3s and I am happy with them too.

SAWBONES
10-31-2019, 08:40 PM
Both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 G26s are noticeably thinner than the Gen 3 G26.

It's probably only a tiny measurable difference of a few millimeters, but the later generation guns feel notably smaller in the grip to me.

SAWBONES
10-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Gen 5 guns take Gen 4 and Gen 3 parts. I have really grown to dislike the Gen 5 trigger. I put a Gen 4 and Gen 3 trigger parts in a couple of Gen 5s. It is way better.

If the trigger bar and the connector of the Gen 3 guns will work in a Gen 5 G26, I'll be doing some switcheroos. :cool:

Leroy
10-31-2019, 09:01 PM
If the trigger bar and the connector of the Gen 3 guns will work in a Gen 5 G26, I'll be doing some switcheroos. :cool:

You have to use a Gen 4 ejector housing, but yes it works, and use the gen 3/4 trigger pin with slide stop/release. You could get fancy and switch trigger shoes on the bar and still use a Gen 5 slide stop.

SAWBONES
10-31-2019, 09:18 PM
You have to use a Gen 4 ejector housing, but yes it works, and use the gen 3/4 trigger pin with slide stop/release. You could get fancy and switch trigger shoes on the bar and still use a Gen 5 slide stop.

Are the Gen 4 and Gen 5 ejector housings the same?

Nephrology
10-31-2019, 09:21 PM
Both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 G26s are noticeably thinner than the Gen 3 G26.

It's probably only a tiny measurable difference of a few millimeters, but the later generation guns feel notably smaller in the grip to me.

For whatever reason, the structure of my hand has always conspired to push shots to the L on the gen 3 g19 frame. Never had that issue with 26 or 17 frame; if anything, had a hard time getting a good purchase on the gen 4 g17 w/o backstrap. Kept fumbling the draw. Put a Med backstrap on it and it's perfect.

Leroy
10-31-2019, 09:28 PM
Are the Gen 4 and Gen 5 ejector housings the same?
Yes and no, Gen 5 uses the different spring to push the trigger bar back up to reconnect with the firing pin. Same "footprint" different spring holes/slots. Housing to frame pin the same though.

So I did this on my guns with an armor slide plate. Trigger bar to sear interface was good. Pushed down on bar and drop safety was good. Do your due diligence, but with my 2 Gen 5 guns it was fine, some aftermarket is doing the same.