PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire in Paris

farscott
04-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Talk about the loss of a historically significant structure: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

YVK
04-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Too bad, it is a great cathedral.

I hope that the hunchback got out safely.

Caballoflaco
04-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Don’t worry the Don has a plan; from his Twitter of course:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

HCM
04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Given the Islamic terror issues in France, a Catholic icon going up in flames during Easter week may not be a coincidence.

blues
04-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Given the Islamic terror issues in France, a Catholic icon going up in flames during Easter week may not be a coincidence.

Yep, that was my first thought. And if it turns out to be the case, I would imagine there's going to be hell to pay.

Chance
04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
BBC says there was renovation work going on. Evidently, the place was not in great shape.

NEPAKevin
04-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Too bad, it is a great cathedral.

I hope that the hunchback got out safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcB5PeSo2k

JohnO
04-15-2019, 01:44 PM
BBC says there was renovation work going on.

That contractor better have a boatload of insurance!

HCM
04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
From 03/21/2019-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800%3famp=1 (]"https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800%3famp=1")

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson.

RevolverRob
04-15-2019, 02:13 PM
I just watched some of the footage, working from home today. Such a beautiful building. A friend drug me there when we visited Paris a few years ago and now I'm glad he did, because, obviously, I'll never see it the same way again.

Mike C
04-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Absolutely tragic.

YVK
04-15-2019, 02:33 PM
I agree. If I could edit out my previous humorous post, I would. I didn't realize the degree of destruction.

TiroFijo
04-15-2019, 02:36 PM
In retrospect, fitting fire spriklers would not look so bad compared to this...

Le Français
04-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Truly, a heavy blow. And during Holy Week...

Gadfly
04-15-2019, 03:02 PM
I thought jihadi’s at first, but there is a lot of scaffolding and construction going on. Electrical fire or welding are just a possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practical Shooter
04-15-2019, 03:49 PM
I can certainly say it is a sad day for me. I grew up not too far from there and got used to see it everyday, without any thoughts, until now.
It does represent French history, Christian history in the making, almost 800 years of it. Not too many left in the world.
Then you have it's fiction, Victor Hugo's famous book "The hunchback of Notre Dame".
It is also one of Paris magical landmark, like the Eiffel Tower, with 13 millions tourist visit her every year.
Its organ has just been renovated, now its gone for ever.
Its original stained windows and its grandiose "Rosace", gone for ever.
A sad day

There have been renovations going on for some time, and the French police think, so far, it is just a stupid accident. So lets not be carried away and see evil work into it, just an accident.

Thank you guys

HCM
04-15-2019, 04:32 PM
I thought jihadi’s at first, but there is a lot of scaffolding and construction going on. Electrical fire or welding are just a possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. Could go eithe way at this point but it has been a target before and the suspect from the 2016 plot was just sentenced to prison this past Friday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack-in-paris-4590216-Apr2019/?fbclid=IwAR0Hx_nB8wSD3Oub0mq1VUUv-DzryyAKYAMdMtFlyyxQjjq1Z8Nj-Ml8eug

Alpha Sierra
04-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Truly a sad day for both the Catholic faithful and lovers of beautiful architecture throughout the world today.

HCM
04-15-2019, 05:46 PM
True. Could go eithe way at this point but it has been a target before and the suspect from the 2016 plot was just sentenced to prison this past Friday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack-in-paris-4590216-Apr2019/?fbclid=IwAR0Hx_nB8wSD3Oub0mq1VUUv-DzryyAKYAMdMtFlyyxQjjq1Z8Nj-Ml8eug

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/gas-tanks-found-in-unmarked-car-by-paris-notre-dame-cathedral-sp/?fbclid=IwAR0Ia075plqvEkJNoNAuhBQrY_6Atfko-YKkWCMRk-eaJe4opJsg8Jw8oOo

Gas tanks and Arabic documents found in unmarked car by Paris' Notre Dame cathedral spark terror fears

11B10
04-15-2019, 05:56 PM
Yep, that was my first thought. And if it turns out to be the case, I would imagine there's going to be hell to pay.

It just couldn't be a foreigner, not with France's, indeed all of Europe's - history of border control.

RevolverRob
04-15-2019, 06:04 PM
I agree. If I could edit out my previous humorous post, I would. I didn't realize the degree of destruction.

It’s okay, bro. When the first post came, it looked like it would be under control and everything would be okay.

Now, alas, it’s just hoping this isn’t a total loss.

YVK
04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
BBC Radio quoted Parisian firefighters in that they were able to save the main structure. I wonder how many times in history it burned. Fires in churches and cathedrals are not that uncommon. I am sure it will be rebuilt but it'll take some.

When we go to Paris we always stay at the same place by the Jardin and the first thing we always do is to stroll down the Saint Michel to Notre-Dame. It is almost surprising how a loss of building, of a not my religion, in a not my country, can still be so touching.

RJ
04-15-2019, 07:10 PM
What a tragic loss.

Casual Friday
04-15-2019, 07:45 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/gas-tanks-found-in-unmarked-car-by-paris-notre-dame-cathedral-sp/?fbclid=IwAR0Ia075plqvEkJNoNAuhBQrY_6Atfko-YKkWCMRk-eaJe4opJsg8Jw8oOo

Gas tanks and Arabic documents found in unmarked car by Paris' Notre Dame cathedral spark terror fears

Check the date of that article. 2016.

pangloss
04-15-2019, 07:50 PM
I just watched some of the footage, working from home today. Such a beautiful building. A friend drug me there when we visited Paris a few years ago and now I'm glad he did, because, obviously, I'll never see it the same way again.

When we were in Paris last summer we skipped Notre Dame because our kids (ages 2 & 6) were too tired after spending most of the day at the Louvre. To be fair, my wife and I were pretty tired too. Now I really regret that we didn't go.

WobblyPossum
04-15-2019, 09:00 PM
A sad event. It’s a beautiful landmark and had so much history attached. I read that numerous sacred relics were lost. I’m glad the firefighters were able to save the main structure and I’m sure the cathedral will be rebuilt but some of what was destroyed can’t be fixed.

Paul D
04-15-2019, 09:12 PM
I remember visiting Notre Dame when I was 18 year old. That place will definitely validate your belief in a god.

Drang
04-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Sounds like most of the artwork was already removed due to the renovation. Main spire and roof gone, bell towers saved, pews and most of the nave saved. In fact, it sounds like a lot of it survived, one is tempted to say "miraculously."

A Jesuit was quoted early as saying that workers in the cathedral said it was deliberately set; I saw him quoted in a Tweet but that Tweet seems to have disappeared.

HCM
04-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Check the date of that article. 2016.

Yes, same as the poison gas plot but it is a priority target and the main suspect was just sentenced to prison last Friday.

It is also interesting that the Macron Government is already saying “not arson” when the fire isn’t even out yet. Arson investigation doesn’t work like that.

HCM
04-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Sounds like most of the artwork was already removed due to the renovation. Main spire and roof gone, bell towers saved, pews and most of the nave saved. In fact, it sounds like a lot of it survived, one is tempted to say "miraculously."

A Jesuit was quoted early as saying that workers in the cathedral said it was deliberately set; I saw him quoted in a Tweet but that Tweet seems to have disappeared.

As shady as some of the things around this fire are, initial reports are often wrong. Barring outside evidence it will be a few days or more before arson can be conclusively ruled in or out.

Joe in PNG
04-15-2019, 10:17 PM
As shady as some of the things around this fire are, initial reports are often wrong. Barring outside evidence it will be a few days or more before arson can be conclusively ruled in or out.

Yep- the 48 Hour News Rule is in effect here.

JAD
04-15-2019, 11:03 PM
The cathedral housed many significant relics; as a Catholic I’m concerned about those. The rose window has been a source of conversion for some and is... was... often used as an explanation of the relationship between artistic beauty and the mystical experience.

Totem Polar
04-16-2019, 12:26 AM
Devastating. They can rebuild the structure but, as noted, the rosace, organ, and various artifacts housed within are gone.

einherjarvalk
04-16-2019, 02:50 AM
Good news this morning out of France: at least one of the rosaces has survived.

https://twitter.com/bougetoneglise/status/1118030404827566081

Alpha Sierra
04-16-2019, 04:24 AM
The cathedral housed many significant relics; as a Catholic I’m concerned about those. The rose window has been a source of conversion for some and is... was... often used as an explanation of the relationship between artistic beauty and the mystical experience.

My wife told me that a thorn believed to be from Jesus's crown was displayed there. Any truth to that?

Jay Cunningham
04-16-2019, 05:14 AM
The primary Crown of Thorns relic and a piece of the True Cross are there and reported have been preserved.

JHC
04-16-2019, 06:28 AM
A powerful picture as beautiful as it is sad, IMO.

The audio of the crowds singing hymns is powerful.

Jay Cunningham
04-16-2019, 06:40 AM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927345/Fire-chaplain-helped-Bataclan-victims-entered-burning-Notre-Dame-save-Crown-Thorns-relic.html

The hero who saved the Crown of Thorns: Fire brigade chaplain entered flaming Notre Dame to recover holy relic - three years after he bravely helped Bataclan terror victims

JAD
04-16-2019, 06:42 AM
The primary Crown of Thorns relic and a piece of the True Cross are there and reported have been preserved.

And a nail I think.

farscott
04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927345/Fire-chaplain-helped-Bataclan-victims-entered-burning-Notre-Dame-save-Crown-Thorns-relic.html

The hero who saved the Crown of Thorns: Fire brigade chaplain entered flaming Notre Dame to recover holy relic - three years after he bravely helped Bataclan terror victims

He has had quite the interesting career, including service as an army chaplain in Afghanistan.

lwt16
04-16-2019, 07:35 AM
In the early 80s, I was fortunate enough to go on a 2 week European trip with other school kids my age (right before 9th grade started) and got to see the Cathedral and tour it.

Soon after, I was back in the States and started 9th grade.....including a foreign language class of my choosing. I chose French.....one of the many mistakes of my past. The instructor was patient with me but at that age, I took very little serious other than video games, BMX bikes, and heavy metal. Thus, my grade in French 1 was a dismal high "F".

At the end of the year the teacher offered extra credit in the form of a project of our choosing. Since I couldn't speak any French after a year of instruction, I chose an arts and crafts project and secured a professional canvas, one of my father's (CPA) Pentel .5 pencils, a metal ruler, and a chunky eraser and set out to save my grade.

From Friday night to late Sunday night I sketched the Notre Dame Cathedral....the iconic towers angle.......and it was spectacular.

I brought it Monday morning and the teacher, who really didn't care for me and my cavalier attitude to his class/instruction...was visibly stunned at the detail and the obvious effort I put in to it. He called my mother (to either verify that I drew it or to brag on me....probably the former) and she told him I spent my entire weekend on it.

I was "gifted" with a solid "D" in the class at the end of the year.

Sketch still hangs on my mother's living room wall. Naturally, I hated to hear of this event as it has sentimental value to me.

Regards.

Alpha Sierra
04-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Awesome

RoyGBiv
04-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Can some kind Mod please fix the spelling in the thread title?
After 5 pages, my OCD meter is pegged off scale. :o

Many thanks.

farscott
04-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Many thanks.

Mine too. And it is my error.

Totem Polar
04-16-2019, 09:55 AM

I am delighted to stand corrected on that.

Jim Watson
04-16-2019, 04:48 PM
A sad day.

What with the Algerians et al cheering in the streets, it doesn't matter how the fire started, we still see the extent of the invasion.

JohnO
04-16-2019, 04:59 PM
A sad day.

What with the Algerians et al cheering in the streets, it doesn't matter how the fire started, we still see the extent of the invasion.

Speaks volumes about the intentions of the invaders and where they want to see things go!

Lex Luthier
04-16-2019, 05:28 PM
A sad day.

That seems...foolish. The French can be shockingly hard.

http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961#Events

Hambo
04-16-2019, 06:31 PM

For an 800 year old building it held up pretty well. I'm glad to see that it's far from a total loss.

blues
04-16-2019, 06:36 PM
A magnificent edifice which, Catholic or not, is a part of human history belonging to all of us. I count myself fortunate enough to have spent some time in its company.

So glad it will survive to continue sharing its history and secrets.

Stephanie B
04-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Many thanks.

Notre danois?

WobblyPossum
04-16-2019, 08:38 PM
I’m glad to hear that the most important relics survived. I’m saddened to have read that they won’t be able to rebuild the roof the way it originally was because oak trees the size of the ones cut down to build the original roof no longer exist in France.

Jim Watson
04-18-2019, 07:12 AM
OK, maybe Notre Dame wasn't arson and we are all a bunch of conspiracy theorists, but...

"A man was taken into custody in New York Wednesday night after entering St. Patrick’s Cathedral carrying two canisters of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and two butane lighters, authorities said.

The 37-year-old man, whose identity will be released once he is formally charged, was stopped by a cathedral security officer, New York City Police said. As the man was turned around, he spilled some gasoline on the floor and walked south onto Fifth Avenue and over to 50th street.

Cathedral security notified two Critical Response Command (CRC) officers-- part of a "striker team"-- outside the cathedral."

"Marc Lamparello has been identified as the 37-year-old man who was arrested by NYPD Counterterrorism officers after walking into the historic St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City with two gasoline cans just days after a fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Lamparello was taken into custody without incident at the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of New York in midtown Manhattan Wednesday night, NBC New York reports.

Lamparello is a Boston College-educated philosophy professor who has been involved in the Catholic Church in the past."

JAD
04-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Just a crazy person. He has a book on Amazon.

Alpha Sierra
04-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Boston College-educated philosophy professor

Sounds like a nutjob

Practical Shooter
04-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Those kinds of tragedies give others too many bad ideas.

Stephanie B
04-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Those kinds of tragedies give others too many bad ideas.
I’ll bet that the NYPD was thinking just that.

Stephanie B
04-18-2019, 11:45 AM
"A man was taken into custody in New York Wednesday night after entering St. Patrick’s Cathedral carrying two canisters of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and two butane lighters, authorities said.

Cops: "Why were you carrying two cans of gas, two bottles of lighter fluid and two butane lighters in the Cathedral?"

Critter: "What? I always carry that stuff around. You never know when you'll run out of gas or need to start a barbecue. Yeah, that's the ticket. And I need to call my lawyer."

Cops: "OK."

JamesCC
04-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Has anyone heard if they found any link to the guy caught with gasoline in New York?

Jay Cunningham
04-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Macron appoints special representative on Notre Dame restoration (https://www.azernews.az/region/149162.html)

Georgelin, a Benedictine oblate and a member of the Catholic Academy of France, has been called a "fervent Catholic," highly cultured and also imposing and opinionated.

:cool:

HCM
04-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Has anyone heard if they found any link to the guy caught with gasoline in New York?

No link to Paris but he was arrested at the Catholic cathedral in Newark NJ a few days ago and he had just bought a one way ticket to Italy.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/What-We-Know-New-Jersey-Man-Gas-Cans-Lighter-Fluid-St-Patricks-Cathedral-Arrest-508757261.html?fff&fbclid=IwAR2a4uhrAhcvzRaAR9ip9Gf3fGkzT3JmvTbStpnQb G8BPhKquK5AcxqGffI

Drang
04-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Facepalm-worthy "reporting" from the Associated Press, on this Good Friday: Tourist mecca Notre Dame also revered as place of worship (https://apnews.com/f309ea14c9b346acb1d3b72c2564c56b)

(The article is actually not bad, but that header...)

HCM
04-22-2019, 07:08 PM

blues
04-22-2019, 07:12 PM
^^^Whaddya mean? The dragon clearly blew a fuse! ;)

JAD
06-18-2019, 11:18 AM
The first mass was celebrated at ND since the fire on the 15th. In hardhats.

Guerrero
06-18-2019, 11:28 AM
The first mass was celebrated at ND since the fire on the 15th. In hardhats.

But at least there *was* a mass. I hope to go back there one day with the family; I went to Easter mass there when I was 16.

Jay Cunningham
06-18-2019, 01:06 PM
The hard hat came off during the Consecration.

:)