PDA

View Full Version : Study -- Holding a gun makes you think others are too

Byron
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Interesting study that I think has a lot of relevance to anyone who carries:

http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/29684-holding-a-gun-makes-you-think-others-are-too-new-research-shows/

...by virtue of affording the subject the opportunity to use a gun, he or she was more likely to classify objects in a scene as a gun...

“One reason we supposed that wielding a firearm might influence object categorization stems from previous research in this area, which argues that people perceive the spatial properties of their surrounding environment in terms of their ability to perform an intended action,” Brockmole says.

Nate
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I can't say I'm surprised... I've seen a bunch of studies of the effect framing has on people's estimates of some quantity.

Examples stats/econ/sociology professors use go something like this... write a number on the chalkboard (say, 75) then ask the class a question like what percentage of people prefer vanilla ice cream to chocolate (or how many gumballs are in the jar, or whatever--possibly with a prize for the closest answer). Then, ask another class the same question, but write 25 on the chalkboard first. Collect the two classes' estimates, average them out... the one that had 75 on the chalkboard is likely to have a higher average estimate than the one with 25. I've even read of the effect still holding if the number is randomly generated, and the class knows that it's randomly generated and has *nothing* to do with the question. (by rolling dice and writing the result on the board)

So, if known to be unrelated random numbers influence the way people estimate quantities, I can't say I'm shocked that holding an object makes you more likely to notice/think you notice an object. I would imagine that holding an apple would make you more likely to notice apples and to "classify objects in a scene" as apples.

Savage Hands
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Meh, most people on this forum who get the kind of training in regards to things like mindset and awareness of surroundings etc... think others are armed even if they themselves are not IMO.

i.e. it doesn't take wearing a firearm to feel like everyone does.

The Dreaming Tree
03-23-2012, 02:11 AM
I can't say I'm surprised... I've seen a bunch of studies of the effect framing has on people's estimates of some quantity.

Examples stats/econ/sociology professors use go something like this... write a number on the chalkboard (say, 75) then ask the class a question like what percentage of people prefer vanilla ice cream to chocolate (or how many gumballs are in the jar, or whatever--possibly with a prize for the closest answer). Then, ask another class the same question, but write 25 on the chalkboard first. Collect the two classes' estimates, average them out... the one that had 75 on the chalkboard is likely to have a higher average estimate than the one with 25. I've even read of the effect still holding if the number is randomly generated, and the class knows that it's randomly generated and has *nothing* to do with the question. (by rolling dice and writing the result on the board)

So, if known to be unrelated random numbers influence the way people estimate quantities, I can't say I'm shocked that holding an object makes you more likely to notice/think you notice an object. I would imagine that holding an apple would make you more likely to notice apples and to "classify objects in a scene" as apples.

It's called the "availability heuristic". People are likely to "recall/interpret", although many times incorrectly, differently based on information their subconcious may consider relevant. Unfortunately, due to it's power, that is one of the reasons first hand testimony can be so damning: our memories are absolutely vulnerable to adjustment without ever realizing it.

Meh, most people on this forum who get the kind of training in regards to things like mindset and awareness of surroundings etc... think others are armed even if they are not IMO.

I don't know how to interpret what you posted. I, honestly, think it's a good thing to assume everyone is armed. Why not?

Savage Hands
03-23-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't know how to interpret what you posted. I, honestly, think it's a good thing to assume everyone is armed. Why not?

I do to, I just don't buy the 'study'.

Tamara
03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
It's called the "availability heuristic". People are likely to "recall/interpret", although many times incorrectly, differently based on information their subconcious may consider relevant. Unfortunately, due to it's power, that is one of the reasons first hand testimony can be so damning: our memories are absolutely vulnerable to adjustment without ever realizing it.

The time that I got out of my car and the creepy dude rushed me, I absolutely remember picking the can of pepper spray and the cell phone off the tan cloth seat of my gold Fiero. I remember the way the car smelled, I remember sliding the "t-handle" shifter into park, I remember seeing the guy in the driver's side mirror of the Fiero, closing the fairly thick and heavy Pontiac door...

It wasn't until I was relating this experience to my current roommate that I realized that I didn't own that Fiero for another year and a half. I was driving a red Porsche at the time, not a gold Fiero. Lord only knows why my memory has dubbed that in; it's why I doubt the memory that I was actually starting to pull the trigger. My rational mind now knows that early-1995 me didn't have anywhere near that kind of trigger control, because early 2012 me sure doesn't.

Eyewitness testimony blows. While I'm feeling pretty confident about the central details, my mind has obviously been cheerfully painting in the peripheral vision stuff for the last seventeen years.

Byron
03-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I do to, I just don't buy the 'study'.
What don't you buy?

The point of the study was not whether an armed individual assumes that other people are armed; the point was that participants' visual perception of an object could be influenced by what they were holding.

There are countless stories of individuals being shot because they were perceived to be holding a gun when they were actually holding a harmless item (like a cell phone or a wallet). This study holds relevance to that issue.

As Tree notes above, our understanding of the reliability of eyewitness testimony has changed drastically in the last few decades. This is an area that is ripe for further research.

Byron
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Eyewitness testimony blows. While I'm feeling pretty confident about the central details, my mind has obviously been cheerfully painting in the peripheral vision stuff for the last seventeen years.
Great example, Tam.

Likewise, I have a vivid memory of a car crash burned into my mind, but the details of that memory do not match up with the actual facts. When it plays in my head, I always see a sunny day. That's not true though: it was raining. And that's not just some inconsequential detail: the rain was a major contributing factor to the accident.

Al T.
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Another weird memory thing. I vividly recall a meeting with someone who was smokeing. They have, in fact, never smoked. I could pass a lie detector test of them smoking though. :eek:

Badfish25
03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
What don't you buy?

The point of the study was not whether an armed individual assumes that other people are armed; the point was that participants' visual perception of an object could be influenced by what they were holding.

There are countless stories of individuals being shot because they were perceived to be holding a gun when they were actually holding a harmless item (like a cell phone or a wallet). This study holds relevance to that issue.

As Tree notes above, our understanding of the reliability of eyewitness testimony has changed drastically in the last few decades. This is an area that is ripe for further research.

If you took some people who have been carrying for a few years, I think the results would be a lot different than some random people who have most likely never even held a gun.

I would have been amazed if the results weren't what they are as they have heavily influenced there test group.

ToddG
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
It wasn't until I was relating this experience to my current roommate that I realized that I didn't own that Fiero for another year and a half. I was driving a red Porsche at the time, not a gold Fiero.

Wow, what a story!

Minus the part where you went from having a Porsche to driving a go-kart, of course.

edited to add: I think I've mentioned this story before in another thread, but I once had a student in a FOF/Simunition scenario suffer a malfunction in his SIG, then pick up a revolver that was conveniently placed nearby. He had absolutely no recollection of the malf or ever firing the revolver... he was absolutely convinced he'd done the whole scenario with his SIG until we showed him the video afterwards.

The Dreaming Tree
03-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Wow, what a story!

Minus the part where you went from having a Porsche to driving a go-kart, of course.

edited to add: I think I've mentioned this story before in another thread, but I once had a student in a FOF/Simunition scenario suffer a malfunction in his SIG, then pick up a revolver that was conveniently placed nearby. He had absolutely no recollection of the malf or ever firing the revolver... he was absolutely convinced he'd done the whole scenario with his SIG until we showed him the video afterwards.

Memory is a fascinating (read: terrifying) thing. Most people have this belief it's simply a "insert tape, rewind, play"-type of function, but we've discovered it's a full mental reconstruction of the events.

Even flashbulb phenomena, like 9/11. They asked thousands of people where they were, who they were with, etc. Many of those interviewed mentioned people who weren't even there that day, but their mind assumed it so, and they had no idea why they could recall "discussing" it with them, in real time.

MikeO
03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Over the years I have accumulated numerous memories that are faulty. Times, people, places, and activities that I know can't match. I remember doing something w someone somewhere listening to a song. Problem is I had not met them yet, learned to do that, and the song hadn't come out yet. But it's there.

Pretty sure about what I had for breakfast yesterday, but who knows...

Memory can be suppressed; looks like it can be created too.

I remember an accident where a responding patrol car t-boned a car at an intersection. Numerous witnesses said the patrol car did not have it's lights on. Forensics and video from a nearby parking lot showed they were on. Those six (6) witnesses were still sure they were not, even after they were shown the video.

Related to when all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails and get hammered? If you have a gun and pepper, you use the pepper. If all you have is the gun, you use the gun, even if it's not necessary?

David Armstrong
03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
The time that I got out of my car and the creepy dude rushed me, I absolutely remember picking the can of pepper spray and the cell phone off the tan cloth seat of my gold Fiero. I remember the way the car smelled, I remember sliding the "t-handle" shifter into park, I remember seeing the guy in the driver's side mirror of the Fiero, closing the fairly thick and heavy Pontiac door...

It wasn't until I was relating this experience to my current roommate that I realized that I didn't own that Fiero for another year and a half. I was driving a red Porsche at the time, not a gold Fiero. Lord only knows why my memory has dubbed that in; it's why I doubt the memory that I was actually starting to pull the trigger. My rational mind now knows that early-1995 me didn't have anywhere near that kind of trigger control, because early 2012 me sure doesn't.

Amen, as the preacher says. Eyewitness testimony, even our own, is full of problems and test after test has shown that. I think it was John Farnam who related that after one of the first NTI's pretty much everyone said they had shot the stages from a Weaver stance, but then the video showed some sort of Iso/crouch was by far the most common.

I think I've already related here one of my most intersting shooting investigations where the officer clearly described the BG pulling out a chrome 1911 and shooting him with it when in reality the BG had stabbed the officer.

Serenity
04-01-2012, 12:34 AM
There is a really interesting article about memory in the March "Wired" magazine. If you don't have time to read the entire thing, scroll down to the section that begins with "Once you start questioning..." in bold. The author explores the creation and retrieval of memories, and why eyewitnesses are fallible (we all know why they are, but why?).

peterb
04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Just been listening to the audiobook of "Blink" by Malcom Gladwell. The section on "priming" is a good fit with this study. It doesn't take much to shift our perceptions and behavior.