PDA

View Full Version : New Trijicon Pistol Mounted RDS???

Pages : [1] 2 3

NickDrak
04-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Word on the street is that Trijicon is announcing a new pistol RDS at NRAAM that is supposedly meant to compete with the ACRO.

Its supposed to have the same RMR footprint.

New battery/access location.

Fully enclosed design.

Shit is getting interesting...

Mike C
04-13-2019, 04:16 AM
Word on the street is that Trijicon is announcing a new pistol RDS at NRAAM that is supposedly meant to compete with the ACRO.

Its supposed to have the same RMR footprint.

New battery/access location.

Fully enclosed design.

Shit is getting interesting...

Any RUMINT on what it will cowitness with?

Rc217
04-13-2019, 07:03 AM
So they will announce it as the acro actually hits the streets and buyers who are on ethe fence will wait another 6 months to buy something.

Xhado
04-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Really well know instructor described it as a RMR type 2.5.

Rc217
04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
2.5 doesn’t sound like it would be enclosed, I assume an enclosed design would be a total redesign or new model?

cornstalker
04-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Oh boy... Now this is exciting.

I was about to order another RMR. Looks like I had better wait a few days.

I am guessing that they could still beat Aimpoint to market with this. Lol.

jwperry
04-13-2019, 10:11 AM
If it can disable the stupid type 2 auto dim function, I'm in. For some reason Trijicon's dots don't bother my astigmatism like Aimpoints dots do. (granted I've never seen an ACRO, but I'd imagine they didn't redesign their emitter technology).

Mike C
04-13-2019, 10:17 AM
If it's same footprint in height hopefully someone can convince Ameriglo to produce suppressor height rear BOLD's. I recently switch over to them and I am liking them quite a bit. If I can get a rugged ass RMR that is sealed up I'll be happy as a clam. Maybe I won't mess with the Shield RMSw.

StraitR
04-13-2019, 10:23 PM
If it can disable the stupid type 2 auto dim function, I'm in. For some reason Trijicon's dots don't bother my astigmatism like Aimpoints dots do. (granted I've never seen an ACRO, but I'd imagine they didn't redesign their emitter technology).

JW, I completely agree with seeing Triji dots better with an astigmatism.

I've seen and played with the ACRO a few times. To me, it looks just like a T-2 dot, only slightly larger (3.5moa).

breakingtime91
04-14-2019, 10:11 AM

My dot is crisper then my aimpoints also. My type two rmr 06 doesnt auto adjust.. or it does and I havent noticed?

miller_man
04-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Hmm, very interesting. I was about to have another slide milled for the type 2 RMR, guess I should wait. I've given up on waiting for the Acro at this point - soon is taking too long.

Trukinjp13
04-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Trijicon is going to kick Aimpoint right in the goods. Aimpoint is taking way too long to drop theirs.

I am pumped for a new rmr. I have type 2 and it has been perfect but I would be down for a improved one.

I have very rarely noticed the auto dim on mine. But I also usually always set the dot where I want and forget about it. I carry it all the time so it very rarely ever sits long enough to default to auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwperry
04-14-2019, 12:52 PM
My dot is crisper then my aimpoints also. My type two rmr 06 doesnt auto adjust.. or it does and I havent noticed?I notice mine when first getting to the range. My type 2 is on my carry gun.

If I haven't adjusted the brightness up, normally my first draw/presentation has the dot dimmed for the concealed carry lighting conditions under my shirt. I shoot at an outdoor range, in direct sun, so the 3.25 dot is absent for a second or so before it catches up with the ambient brightness.

I had similar experiences with RM01 type 1 when shooting from a covered position into a better lit area.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

miller_man
04-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Sheeze, I should read up - I didn't even know the type 2 auto adjusted.

joshs
04-14-2019, 03:21 PM
I notice mine when first getting to the range. My type 2 is on my carry gun.

If I haven't adjusted the brightness up, normally my first draw/presentation has the dot dimmed for the concealed carry lighting conditions under my shirt. I shoot at an outdoor range, in direct sun, so the 3.25 dot is absent for a second or so before it catches up with the ambient brightness.

I had similar experiences with RM01 type 1 when shooting from a covered position into a better lit area.

I guess I just adjust the brightness enough to never let mine default to auto. I’ve gotten in the habit of going up/down one level when entering or exiting a building.

EVP
04-14-2019, 03:48 PM
This is good.

Competition to the ACRO is great and I hope the RMR comes through to offer another viable option. If they can keep the same footprint and increase the window size with all the other good stuff, it will be a winner for sure.

Quotron
04-14-2019, 03:53 PM
My dot is crisper then my aimpoints also. My type two rmr 06 doesnt auto adjust.. or it does and I havent noticed?

They go to auto-adjust after 16 hours without button inputs

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_RMR.php

breakingtime91
04-14-2019, 03:54 PM
They go to auto-adjust after 16 hours without button inputs

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_RMR.php

Thank you, i went and looked it up after also. Guess I haven't had enough time to notice it!

jwperry
04-14-2019, 04:13 PM
I guess I just adjust the brightness enough to never let mine default to auto. I’ve gotten in the habit of going up/down one level when entering or exiting a building.I might have to start doing that in the AM before I leave the house. 16 hours should be more than enough to not worry about having to mess with it during the day.

Default.mp3
04-14-2019, 09:12 PM
If it can disable the stupid type 2 auto dim function, I'm in. For some reason Trijicon's dots don't bother my astigmatism like Aimpoints dots do. (granted I've never seen an ACRO, but I'd imagine they didn't redesign their emitter technology).I've been told that the auto battery save function was removed.

This optic will be interesting to me, but not on a pistol, ironically; I'd probably want to use it as an offset sight on my optics, if Spuhr doesn't make ISMS plates for the ACRO. Otherwise, I feel that Aimpoint has a better track record than Trijicon, given Trijicon's issues with the RMR Type 2s, SRSes, etc.

GJM
04-14-2019, 09:26 PM
What stands between the Trijicon being a good optic and an excellent optic is it’s crappy little display — hopefully that is being addressed with this new version.

I am hearing rumblings of a new pistol optic intro at NRA by an optic company with significant mil/LE experience and no current pistol optic.

cornstalker
04-14-2019, 09:33 PM
What stands between the Trijicon being a good optic and an excellent optic is it’s crappy little display — hopefully that is being addressed with this new version.

I am hearing rumblings of a new pistol optic intro at NRA by an optic company with significant mil/LE experience and no current pistol optic.

Aimpoint?

RevolverRob
04-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Aimpoint?

ACRO is Aimpoint.

I’d guess EOTech

Trukinjp13
04-14-2019, 09:46 PM

I really do not think the display is bad. It is light years ahead of irons. I have zero issues with it and hope the new version is simply more bulletproof and maybe less blue tint. Otherwise this thing destroys irons for me. The dpp may have the big display but it is also frikin huge compared to the rmr.

Also Nightforce or Us optics?

cornstalker
04-14-2019, 09:53 PM
ACRO is Aimpoint.

I’d guess EOTech

I was being sarcastic, as no one has an ACRO and who knows when they will. The P1 has already been modified into a C-1 and yet you can’t buy-1.

dontshakepandas
04-17-2019, 09:37 PM
Anybody heard anything new about this?

I know we are still a few weeks from NRAAM, but I've got a RMR type 2 that is 5 days from the end of it's return period and I'm thinking about sending it back and waiting to see what updates Trijicon makes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jwperry
04-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Anybody heard anything new about this?

I know we are still a few weeks from NRAAM, but I've got a RMR type 2 that is 5 days from the end of it's return period and I'm thinking about sending it back and waiting to see what updates Trijicon makes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TapatalkRMR seem to hold their value well on the resale market, I'd hold onto it.

GJM
04-17-2019, 09:48 PM
RMR seem to hold their value well on the resale market, I'd hold onto it.

I bet two pistol forum dollars that the Acro does to RMR residual values what the Gen 5 Glocks have done to earlier generations.

Sigfan26
04-17-2019, 09:50 PM

As long as it's 17mmx17mm, it should be good. Trijicon is available through a lot more distributors than Aimpoint, too.

jwperry
04-17-2019, 09:55 PM
I bet two pistol forum dollars that the Acro does to RMR residual values what the Gen 5 Glocks have done to earlier generations.I'll take that bet and raise you 1 PF dollar that the colloquial term RMR benefits Trijicon and their lower MSRP in helping prop up legacy product line values.

Drang
04-17-2019, 09:59 PM
I know we are still a few weeks from NRAAM,...
Next week, FWIW.

Sigfan26
04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
I'll take that bet and raise you 1 PF dollar that the colloquial term RMR benefits Trijicon and their lower MSRP in helping prop up legacy product line values.

Trijicon's distribution system is much easier for small to medium retailers.

dontshakepandas
04-17-2019, 10:14 PM
The ACRO doesn't interest me because of the size and the fact that I already have a few pistols milled for RMRs, but I definitely can't see it's release making RMRs more expensive. I'm thinking worst case scenario I can return the type 2 now and if the new Trijicon doesn't happen or doesn't interest me I can always buy another one later on with nothing lost other than a trip to FedEx. This is going on a back up gun so I'm not in a huge rush.

The only thing I really don't care for on the current RMR is the auto-dim "feature" which is only a minor annoyance, but if I can spend my money on a newer and hopefully better product that still suits my needs I'd prefer to do that.

BigT
04-17-2019, 11:06 PM
I was being sarcastic, as no one has an ACRO and who knows when they will. The P1 has already been modified into a C-1 and yet you can’t buy-1.

No one you say...

Sigfan26
04-17-2019, 11:29 PM
No one you say...

Nobody is an incorrect statement. A very limited number of dealers and people would be more accurate.

cornstalker
04-17-2019, 11:35 PM
And it appears that the number is rapidly changing. It's about frickin' time...

Sigfan26
04-17-2019, 11:44 PM
And it appears that the number is rapidly changing. It's about frickin' time...

Companies should look at Trijicon’s announcement to rollout timeframe on the Type 2 and follow suit.

dontshakepandas
04-18-2019, 03:56 PM
I sent the type 2 back today. I'm sure I can end pick another one up later for the same price and just be out the $8 I spent on shipping.

I'm really hoping for Trijicon to announce some upgrades though.

breakingtime91
04-18-2019, 09:32 PM
I sent the type 2 back today. I'm sure I can end pick another one up later for the same price and just be out the $8 I spent on shipping.

I'm really hoping for Trijicon to announce some upgrades though.

Did the same. Have one getting direct milled by L&M right now. Figure that one direct mil with type 2 will get me by for the 5k rounds I have waiting that slide. If the new optics don't work for me, wont be hard to source another type 2 for probably the same or less I spent on the one I sent back.

Erick Gelhaus
04-20-2019, 05:42 PM

S&B? ;)

GJM
04-20-2019, 05:52 PM
S&B? ;)

That would be awesome, but just spitballing, I bet the company starts with a vowel.

CWM11B
04-21-2019, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Nightforce got in to the game

Rc217
04-21-2019, 08:06 AM
Whoever it is, I hope they come up with yet another mounting footprint that only they use...

Sigfan26
04-21-2019, 08:28 AM
Whoever it is, I hope they come up with yet another mounting footprint that only they use...

Of course! That just makes sense!

Grey
04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Trijicon is revealing a new pistol optic, any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

David S.
04-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Grey
04-24-2019, 11:58 AM
37569Thanks for posting that, thats what I saw. Updated RMR, all new optic? Excited.

Tod-13
04-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting that, thats what I saw. Updated RMR, all new optic? Excited.

I'm hoping for a sealed dot optic with an RMR footprint, with a green dot.
I'm not saying I'm expecting it, just hoping.

Grey
04-24-2019, 12:01 PM
I'm not saying I'm expecting it, just hoping.That would have a better argument to get on guns than the acro.

Balisong
04-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Good lord that thing is bigger and blockier than the Acro!!

In all seriousness, I'm waiting for the right optic before I jump into the game. If we can get Acro features into something more the size of the other RDS I'll be thrilled. I suspect that's a ways off though...

Wake27
04-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Meanwhile type 1 RMR closeouts have been easy to find at $375ish for the past week or so... I know some people have had issues but mine with some ATEi milling has been great so that’s super tempting.

theJanitor
04-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Meanwhile type 1 RMR closeouts have been easy to find at $375ish for the past week or so... I know some people have had issues but mine with some ATEi milling has been great so that’s super tempting.

I have three type1 RM06 and they have been great. I don't have alot of rounds through them, but no flickering or short lifespans on batteries. Jager did the install on the two glocks, and they fit tightly, and one uses the Trijicon 1911 plate.

theJanitor
04-24-2019, 02:53 PM
If this Trijicon offering is an improved RMR, the timing is perfect for me. My backup is spending some time at the smith, getting upgraded. When it returns, hopefully Wilson will be set up to install this on my X9

Wake27
04-24-2019, 02:55 PM
I have three type1 RM06 and they have been great. I don't have alot of rounds through them, but no flickering or short lifespans on batteries. Jager did the install on the two glocks, and they fit tightly, and one uses the Trijicon 1911 plate.

My only issue was my own fault - I forgot to use a sealing plate and got caught in a nice tropical downpour while I was still on Oahu. It worked surprisingly well for having so much moisture inside. Trijicon took care of it even though I messed up. I don't know how many rounds I have on mine, but it must be a few thousand at this point because I got it when they did the Type 2 release and everyone was selling the type 1s super cheap. Hopefully not, but if this new offering has the same auto-dim "feature," I'll stick to my type 1.

Rc217
04-24-2019, 03:09 PM
I’m guessing it is going to be a type 2 with a larger display but still open emitter. I bet a bunch of people on the fence about which optic to buy will decide tomorrow after they see this and whatever other new announcement is expected.

TAZ
04-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Trying to figure out how a sealed optic and RMR footprint can work together. Only thing I can come up with are some goofy angled screws (which isn’t the RMR footprint) or screws from bottom up like the T series. Bottom up screws are a HARD no go on a pistol. Anything that comes loose binds up your slide pretty permanent like.

theJanitor
04-24-2019, 03:23 PM
If I had to pick one upgrade to my RM06, it would be to add the ability to change the battery without removing the sight. MY pistol is under my shirt, protected from the elements, and not subject the abuses that LEO/MIL guys encounter. I don't need closed emitters, and 10000 hour batter life. Even if I had to change batteries every month, I'd be OK, if I didn't have to mess with the mounting screws and confirm zero when changing the battery

GJM
04-24-2019, 03:46 PM

When I first looked at the photo, I thought it was an Acro.

Tod-13
04-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Trying to figure out how a sealed optic and RMR footprint can work together. Only thing I can come up with are some goofy angled screws (which isn’t the RMR footprint) or screws from bottom up like the T series. Bottom up screws are a HARD no go on a pistol. Anything that comes loose binds up your slide pretty permanent like.

I'm hoping for some magic. The teaser shots were showing a round reflection. So if the optic were belled at the end and skinny in the middle like a scope, it might work. Or just a skinny tube.

Like I said, I'm hoping for it, not expecting it.

Jay585
04-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to dots.

Why green?

Grey
04-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Why green?I think it's easier to see in daylight or something like that.

breakingtime91
04-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Hoping sealed emitter, clearer glass, and the same footprint. If not my type two will hold me over til whatever comes after the ACRO and this optic.

Mike C
04-24-2019, 10:35 PM
Since we're wishing hopefully it will cowitness with standard sights and have an enclosed emitter while not needing to be removed from the gun to change the battery. Seems like a tall order but I'll keep hoping.

matt7184
04-24-2019, 11:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifTnZX5-hc

Sigfan26
04-24-2019, 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifTnZX5-hc

Might not be a sealed emitter, but that window is HUGE!!! Helen Keller could find the dot in that window!

matt7184
04-24-2019, 11:21 PM
This doesn't look compatible with Safariland RDS holsters or anything cut with rear irons in front of RDS.

GJM
04-24-2019, 11:28 PM
The display looks awesome — can’t wait to see one in person.

theJanitor
04-25-2019, 12:02 AM
My one request about battery replacement was addressed. I’ll be happy to put this on my pistol and the rm06 as an offset backup sight for a lvpo on my rifle

Default.mp3
04-25-2019, 12:03 AM
Might not be a sealed emitter, but that window is HUGE!!! Helen Keller could find the dot in that window!
https://i.imgur.com/ijZdfLZ.png
For reference, the DPP's spec sheet says it's 1.30" high, and 1.82" long.

TicTacticalTimmy
04-25-2019, 12:06 AM
The way the front of the optic has an "L" at the bottom to extend past slides without extending the footprint is INGENIOUS!

vandal
04-25-2019, 12:10 AM
Disregard

Sigfan26
04-25-2019, 12:12 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ijZdfLZ.png
For reference, the DPP's spec sheet says it's 1.30" high, and 1.82" long.
DPP RMR.

mrozowjj
04-25-2019, 12:22 AM
1, 3.5 or a 5 MOA dot? I really wish they had an 8 MOA; that is the ideal size for a pistol mounted red dot IMO.

theJanitor
04-25-2019, 12:33 AM
The way the front of the optic has an "L" at the bottom to extend past slides without extending the footprint is INGENIOUS!

I’m happy that I milled my pistols to have the BUIS behind the RMR

BigT
04-25-2019, 12:45 AM
DPP RMR.

Beat me to it.

My understanding was that its the ears that make the RMR so drop proof, I'm curious if this will hold up to things like Cowans testing like an RMR

Sigfan26
04-25-2019, 01:10 AM
Beat me to it.

My understanding was that its the ears that make the RMR so drop proof, I'm curious if this will hold up to things like Cowans testing like an RMR

I’m sure it will pass as things given to him by trijicon have...

John91
04-25-2019, 05:06 AM
https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/new-trijicon-sro-specialized-reflex-optic/

This link has a lot of info including a video of the optic, specifications and tentative pricing.

Tom Duffy
04-25-2019, 05:18 AM
https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/new-trijicon-sro-specialized-reflex-optic/

This link has a lot of info including a video of the optic, specifications and tentative pricing.

Not what I was expecting. I guess Trijicon SRO stands for Sight for Range Only.

John91
04-25-2019, 05:21 AM
I’m sure it will be great for carry optics and competing, but I wonder if the added size will mean concealing the current RMR is best

miller_man
04-25-2019, 05:45 AM
That window looks real nice, seems like a great optic for gaming - kind of DPP size and look, with hopefully RMR durability. I can see one in my future. I do agree - could be a little large for throwing in a holster though.

What a great time for pistol red dots.

Rc217
04-25-2019, 06:47 AM
It will be great if there is no fishbowl effect in that lease. Looks like a rugged dpp with better controls than a dpp

Grey
04-25-2019, 06:57 AM
Good lord, that is taller than the acro?

GJM
04-25-2019, 07:14 AM
I think Trijicon is smart to offer two different size optics. One, for where smaller size is desirable, and another with a large display.

It appears that Trijicon has addressed the concerns we have been discussing for years on PF — battery change ability without removing the optic, a different frame design to minimize blocking downrange vision, no dark tint, and improving the small display that is vertically challenged.

Between the Acro, this new Trijicon and Leupold addressing the reliability problems with the DP Pro, this is a mighty fine time to be an optics shooter.

dontshakepandas
04-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Good lord, that is taller than the acro?

The height may cause some issues with concealability, but it isn't enough to make me completely dismiss it like I did with the acro. Overall demensions are important, but the shape matters too.

If you were to try to conceal this optic most of the height would be at the front end closest to the belt, which I've found is easier for me to hide than protrusions closer to the back of the slide. This also has a round profile instead of the points like the RMR which gives it two advantages. First, the round shape won't make as obvious of a point if it does print, and second it means that the height at the sides will be slightly lower than the overall height that is in the middle of the slide which should also help with printing.

On the other hand, trying to conceal the acro seems about like trying to hide a mailbox.

I'm definitely interested in trying this out. The ability to change the batteries without removing the optic is nice, but the bigger field of view definitely can definitely make shooting from awkward positions easier.

GJM
04-25-2019, 07:33 AM
The height may cause some issues with concealability, but it isn't enough to make me completely dismiss it like I did with the acro. Overall demensions are important, but the shape matters too.

If you were to try to conceal this optic most of the height would be at the front end closest to the belt, which I've found is easier for me to hide than protrusions closer to the back of the slide. This also has a round profile instead of the points like the RMR which gives it two advantages. First, the round shape won't make as obvious of a point if it does print, and second it means that the height at the sides will be slightly lower than the overall height that is in the middle of the slide which should also help with printing.

On the other hand, trying to conceal the acro seems about like trying to hide a mailbox.

I'm definitely interested in trying this out. The ability to change the batteries without removing the optic is nice, but the bigger field of view definitely can definitely make shooting from awkward positions easier.

As you point out, an open emitter design is easier to conceal, as the lens is at the belt line, where the mailbox on the Acro protrudes rearward.

You don’t really conceal an Acro in an AIWB holster, you disguise it.

Grey
04-25-2019, 07:34 AM
As you point out, an open emitter design is easier to conceal, as the lens is at the belt line, where the mailbox on the Acro protrudes rearward.

You don’t really conceal an Acro in an AIWB holster, you disguise it.This is not the droid youre looking for...

Mike C
04-25-2019, 07:42 AM
New offering looks not only taller but wide AF. Guess I'll keep waiting. They'll probably have freaking laser guns out by the time I find a pistol mounted optic that isn't gigantic, cowitnesses with standard irons, has a sealed emitter, no weird window tint, and a top or side load battery compartment. I know I'm probably one of the few but this isn't even close to what I want for a small carry optic. I have no use for something this large at all. Why the hell can't we get an RMS footprint optic built like a Trijicon? I'd take that with an open emitter over nothing.

breakingtime91
04-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Can't make everyone happy. Belt line lens=better then a toaster. With that said, I'm going to wait and see how things shake out. Type 2 rmr will be fine until the masses decide or aimpoint and trijicon make revisions.

Really cool design though!

Tokarev
04-25-2019, 08:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qY0fBN_Heo

Thy.Will.Be.Done
04-25-2019, 08:02 AM

Why green?

Green is actually the most visible color to human vision, red is the least visible ironically.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Sign me up!!! I love it.

David S.
04-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Really like the “lock-IN” setting as I’m not a big fan of auto adjust

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Thank you Trijicon

Bart Carter
04-25-2019, 08:39 AM
I can see why the mounting is the same as the RMR, but that leaves out direct milling on many slides.

I like the top mount battery and larger window, like the Vortex Venom. (That has narrower mounting screws)

YVK
04-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Between the Acro, this new Trijicon and Leupold addressing the reliability problems with the DP Pro, this is a mighty fine time to be an optics shooter.

What is a DP Pro?

Seriously, if this thing is all that it seems to be, the screen, the tint, the battery, plus much better switchology than DPP, better ability to mount BUS, and 5 MOA dot, your friends at Leupold may have missed the time frame to fix the DPP and overcome its past reputation.

P.S. Specs are on Trij' website. https://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/SRO_Spec_Sheet.pdf Window is 25 x 22.5 mm. DPP is 25.7 x 17.5 mm.

jlw
04-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Pistol, meh.

One of these on a shotgun (if it will hold up), YES!!

Tod-13
04-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Why green?

For most people, Grey's response is the normal answer.

For us, my wife gets disabling migraines (can't walk, talk, loses motor function and most cognitive abilities) from flashing lights and certain colors--like bright yellow and brilliant red. So, green dots are a lot more comfortable for her to use. Red dots are too bright.

Tod-13
04-25-2019, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qY0fBN_Heo

Thanks for posting this. Looks like we will pass, since it is not enclosed. (I figure they'll have green eventually.) We really don't need a larger window. Maybe for hunting or games, but not for CCW. (YMMV)

Some changes mentioned (I hate videos):

same mounting setup
bigger window
top replace battery
less tint on window

Not mentioned that I caught, but the body is taller, which may block some sights.

HCM
04-25-2019, 09:04 AM
First impression ?

HCM
04-25-2019, 09:06 AM
First impression:

Tokarev
04-25-2019, 09:13 AM
We really don't need a larger window. Maybe for hunting or games, but not for CCW.

What about for uniformed law enforcement carry?

Also, being 2.5 MOA, I think this might be a nice optic for a PDW and/or patrol carbine.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 09:24 AM
I think with a proper holster the size can easily be overcome. I am very excited about this. I like the larger window and all the features they added to improve the rmr line. This will sell very well and make a lot of people happy.

If it holds up then I am all in on it. I have been fortunate that my rmr2 has held up perfectly for over a year now. But this looks like a better built mouse trap to me. The window is a lil bigger than I hoped but it is nowhere near the bulk of the dp pro or Acro.

Bart Carter
04-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Some changes mentioned (I hate videos):

same mounting setup
bigger window
top replace battery
less tint on window

Not mentioned that I caught, but the body is taller, which may block some sights.

Same mounting setup precludes direct milling on a Walther for me because the mounting screws are too wide. I can see them wanting to keep the same mounting, but if they went to the common Docter, Leupold, Vortex, Burris, SIG, etc. mounting screw width, direct milling would be possible for almost any manufacturer's slide. Guys with Glocks are good to go, but others will need a mounting plate, which raises the sight more. And the taller body makes it worse.

Tod-13
04-25-2019, 09:25 AM
We really don't need a larger window. Maybe for hunting or games, but not for CCW.

What about for uniformed law enforcement carry?

Also, being 2.5 MOA, I think this might be a nice optic for a PDW and/or patrol carbine.

The "we" here is me and my wife--and we're not law enforcement. I included a "YMMV" to cover other stuff like military and law enforcement usage.

I think I'd rather have an Aimpoint Micro or one of the AA or AAA battery powered tube dots than the SRO on a rifle--we hunt in the rain and mud so the enclosed emitter is important and easier to clean. But we went with 1-4/1-5/1-6 scopes instead of dots.

But I predict most people will really, really like this, since it seems to answer the majority of the complaints about RMRs, assuming the extra height to the body doesn't interfere with existing sights.

HCM
04-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Must be real, the memes are already out:

mtnbkr
04-25-2019, 09:27 AM
That window looks real nice, seems like a great optic for gaming - kind of DPP size and look, with hopefully RMR durability. I can see one in my future. I do agree - could be a little large for throwing in a holster though.

What a great time for pistol red dots.

I have a completed upper already milled for RMR. This new sight would be ideal for a range toy or field gun based on my existing upper.

Chris

Tokarev
04-25-2019, 09:28 AM
it seems to answer the majority of the complaints about RMRs, assuming the extra height to the body doesn't interfere with existing sights.

I imagine the SRO will replace the RMR in Trijicon's line up. Maybe not right away but within a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

John91
04-25-2019, 10:00 AM
William Petty of Centrifuge Training said on his Facebook page that he has gotten it to work with Safariland RDS holsters after a minor tweak. He also said you can drop it and beat it up but it keeps running. Apparently he has been testing it for a while. This info makes me even more excited about it.

RAM Engineer
04-25-2019, 10:08 AM
I imagine the SRO will replace the RMR in Trijicon's line up. Maybe not right away but within a couple years.

I doubt that for multiple reasons.

1. Customers want options.
2. Existing (SOCOM) contracts
3. Knowledge of how Trijicon operates. Heck, they still offer the SRS AND the original Reflex sight. I know all those Reflexes aren't just going to M4A1 clone builders. I'm surprised the Tri-power isn't still on their website.

Tokarev
04-25-2019, 10:11 AM
I doubt that for multiple reasons.

1. Customers want options.
2. Existing (SOCOM) contracts
3. Knowledge of how Trijicon operates. Heck, they still offer the SRS AND the original Reflex sight. I know all those Reflexes aren't just going to M4A1 clone builders. I'm surprised the Tri-power isn't still on their website.Whatever happens. We'll see. No dog in the fight either way.

dontshakepandas
04-25-2019, 10:16 AM
I put together a very rough overlay of the RMR on top of the SRO based on the comparison photo floating around.

The window looks HUGE in comparison, but it looks like the footprint of the optics at the widest point isn't really all that different and I think I could conceal this AIWB fairly well.

I'm pretty glad that I returned the RMR that I just bought and will probably pick one of these up. Eventually the RMR will move to my training gun since I think training with the smaller window could help refine skills even more.

Tokarev
04-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Some pricing and options info:

https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product-category/reflexholographic-sights/trijicon-reflexholographic-sights/sro-series/

Thy.Will.Be.Done
04-25-2019, 10:19 AM
I snapped a few quick screenshots from the AR video, thing really looks a mile high compared to RMR. Seems like it is basically what competition shooters have preferred for years.

37584375853758637587 37588

First impression:

Stargate SG-1, thanks for the reminder... kinda want to watch that show again now.

TAZ
04-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Not sure about this one. Longer, taller and wider isn’t what I was hoping for on the CCW front, on paper anyway. Will have to play with one to see how it can fit into the CCW rotation. Not going to dump my 06 in any case or pass on any good deals on the RMR to save up for one.

Was hoping to see something narrower to fit the single stack slides better, but that’s a different story.

HCM
04-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Stargate SG-1, thanks for the reminder... kinda want to watch that show again now.

Or you could just put an SRO on a P90....

Whiskey_Bravo
04-25-2019, 10:23 AM
I kind of like the square frame design of the RMR and ACRO. Felt like it created easy reference points on target. That being said, every rifle optic I have uses a round tube. I wanted to hate this at first, but this might actually make a lot of sense.

feudist
04-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Street price?

dontshakepandas
04-25-2019, 10:42 AM
I found these posted over on another forum. It really makes the height look a lot less crazy than when it was mounted all the way on top of that XD.

I just pre ordered one from EuroOptic. $490 shipped, which is only about $50 more than I paid for the RMR Type 2 that I just returned. I went with the 2.5 MOA dot since my astigmatism seems to make the dot appear a little bigger than it really is.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
04-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Those pics make it look way better as a carry optic, there may be one of these in the future for a great many of us here...

Jay585
04-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Am I wrong not being that excited about this?

I mean, it's cool, but... meh.

breakingtime91
04-25-2019, 10:53 AM
I found these posted over on another forum. It really makes the height look a lot less crazy than when it was mounted all the way on top of that XD.

I just pre ordered one from EuroOptic. $490 shipped, which is only about $50 more than I paid for the RMR Type 2 that I just returned. I went with the 2.5 MOA dot since my astigmatism seems to make the dot appear a little bigger than it really is.

I’ll be ordering one also. That picture makes it seem way easier to conceal.

dontshakepandas
04-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Am I wrong not being that excited about this?

I mean, it's cool, but... meh.

I think that depends on how invested you are in the red dot world. This isn't completely revolutionary, but definitely has the evolutionary things that I think a lot of us have been waiting for.

When shooting with a red dot having the extra height will really help for tracking the dot for faster follow up shots. It will also make draws and awkward position shooting a lot easier.

The tint on the RMR was never a huge issue for me, but I won't complain about it being clearer.

Having to take the RMR off once a year to change the battery also wasn't a big deal for me, but not having to remove it is definitely nice. This is a nice convenience but also reduces the changes of stripped screws or other issues like that.

For open carry or duty carry I'd probably go with the Acro for the closed emitter, but for concealed carry I don't think that is as important.

Olim9
04-25-2019, 10:54 AM
As far as concealed carry is concerned, wouldn’t the rounded shape help blend into cover garment? When I carried a PX4, the roundness of the slide printed significantly less than say a Glock. That being said, I’m looking down at my current AIWB setup and I don’t think the larger footprint would be an issue in the slightest.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Trijicon WILL be updating the RMR. Maybe by Shot show. So if this is too large for some folks wait patiently.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Sounds like they will be shipping mid June-July

And Trijicon will be updating the RMR. But probably will not release until shot show ish.

RAM Engineer
04-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Trijicon WILL be updating the RMR. Maybe by Shot show. So if this is too large for some folks wait patiently.

Any hints as to what the updated RMR (version 3.0?) will entail?

stomridertx
04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
My first impression is that the SRO would be my choice to mount on a Glock 34 or 17 sized competition or duty gun. It would be super badass to have the SRO on a Glock 40 (10mm longslide). I'd still run the RMR on a carry gun just for the smaller size. I don't get open emitter type dots on long guns at all when you have the MRO, Aimpoint Micro, or Holosun micros for those platforms.
I wish the Shield RMS was better and came with a smaller dot, that would be my choice for a carry gun if they could dial in the design better.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Any hints as to what the updated RMR (version 3.0?) will entail?

Supposedly the SRO improvements will carry to the RMR. Basically a SRO with RMR window. Which is frikin badass

tgoldie00
04-25-2019, 12:56 PM
I hate to say it, but this just doesn't knock my socks off.....

I own a DPP (mounted to a G19.4 MOS I have tinkered with), as well as an RMR Typ1 (on a ZEV Dragonfly 19 factory built pistol). I also have an Eotech XPS2….and I only mention this as I feel I have a somewhat broad spectrum of devices by several manufactures so I have a good feel for the market in these smaller optics that are presently available retail.

Both of these optics have a great place...and this just feels like it took Leupold's display, and added its patented controls (dare I say a DPP+?).

Use case here feel more like competition (as my DPP is set up) rather than carry, and I fear as time rolls on, many of these will also see DPP type breakage complaints...it is hard, as Leupold has demonstrated, to give someone that much screen real-estate and not be exposed to breakage in harsh environments. That was the RMR compromise of course (smaller, lightweight, robust, due to small display and adequate protection).

A secondary use case here feels a LOT like a sub-gun/pistol caliber Carbine/SBR optic for up-close/urban use! I could easily see this atop a GHM9, MP5 (clone), or the like! The larger window affords better FOV and two-eye-open operation, and size is not as much of a consideration relative to the platform…and weight savings over an XPS or an MRO might be noteworthy!

RevolverRob
04-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Fuck yea, that thing looks awesome!

I know some won't like the bigger window, height wise, but width wise it appears no different than the RMR. The extra hood length and window size should make transitions from dark to bright or bright to dark much smoother (the window will be partly shaded, as opposed to no shading currently). Keeping the RMR footprint is great. It won't work for anyone who mounted the BUIS in front. Oh well, that's just a dovetail, drive it out and drive on.

Battery on top = awesome. No drawers to break off.

The height "seems" like a bummer, but I doubt it is. As opposed to the Acro which added height at the rear of the slide, Trijicon added it towards the middle (a fucking brilliant move). When you're holstered, do you worry about your ejection port sticking out or the rear of your slide and butt? Most holsters, will bury the optic relatively deep and printing won't be a concern at all. The rounded profile will help eliminate any snagging you might have previously gotten.

In my opinion, Trijicon NAILED it with this design. It's YUGE and I like it. I'll have to very seriously consider having a 1911 milled with Triji's 1911 RMR mount and fitting an SRO.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 01:50 PM
I am pretty damn pumped. Especially knowing they will be releasing a type 3 RMR. This gives you options for what and how you want a system built. Just like the Gen 5 Glocks now. SRO and RMR will have the same footprint, batteries,switching etc. This is big imo. RMR is the best concealed carry optic out there and now we have a lil larger option that can still be concealed carry yet has a large window and will be great for a owb rig.

I like having options and now Trijicon has multiple for whatever your intended purpose. I do not want to have different brand mrds optics on my pistols. I want one brand of pistol with familiar features and common parts and one brand of optics with familiar features and batteries. Also obviously means you only have one company/customer service to deal with for your pistols/optics.

tcba_joe
04-25-2019, 02:19 PM
I get why people are comparing the SRO to the ACRO. However, to me, it seems they're almost entirely in different categories.

The ACRO looks like the best choice for a high durability "duty" optic for an LE/MIL pistol. While the SRO looks like an awesome large dot for "carry optics" type competition. It also seems more comparable to the DPP than the ACRO.

Mike C
04-25-2019, 03:39 PM
I get why people are comparing the SRO to the ACRO. However, to me, it seems they're almost entirely in different categories.

The ACRO looks like the best choice for a high durability "duty" optic for an LE/MIL pistol. While the SRO looks like an awesome large dot for "carry optics" type competition. It also seems more comparable to the DPP than the ACRO.

I disagree think that the SRO will fit the role for LE/MIL just fine and it will probably whip ass in competition as well. ACRO could be used in the same capacity and if Trijicon carries everything over to the RMR 3.0 and markets duty/MIL grade with SRO and the RMR 3.0 for CCW/CWP they are going to crush the market. The SRO isn't my cup of tea but I no longer wear a uniform so my needs have changed significantly but if it is rugged and reliable it will sell by the truck load. I will patiently be awaiting the RMR 3.0 as I am unsure about the Shield RMSw that I have been wanting. I've carried a lot of Trijicon's stuff in the past while not all of their stuff is my preference their optics were all rugged and reliable. This is a great addition to the market, I wish we'd gotten the RMR 3.0 first but I can see why the SRO would be a priority.

BigT
04-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Played with a 2.5 moa one today. No shooting unfortunately just dry.

Really is the lovechild of an RMR and DPP.

Did seem to have a slight blue tint. Otherwise very impressive in general. I would likely risk the ultimate toughness and choose it over an RMR if those were my options. The pricing they were talking about is about 40% more than an Acro here. But Trijicon is generally expensive here.

Nice optic but I will likely stick with my Acro and just get more of those.

Tensaw
04-25-2019, 03:58 PM
As far as this optic printing, I think it will print less than the RMR because. No hard corners to protrude/print thru; also, when holstered, the window of the optic will ride closer to the belt line as compared to the RMR. If the durability/ruggedness is there, this is a winner.

ETA: Yeah, what RevolverRob said! :D

dontshakepandas
04-25-2019, 04:20 PM

I see a lot of comments about how the bigger window will be better for competition, and I don't disagree, but I think it is important to think about how it could be a huge benefit in a duty or defensive use as well and don't think it should be dismissed for that use. In addition to being able to track the dot better for faster follow up shots, it also lets you see more of your target. This means you are able to see more of what is going on to better determine if what you are pointing your gun at needs to be shot.

Maybe an LEO or concealed carrier has an aggressor at gunpoint and can now see and interpret that persons hands and actions better. Those situations move so fast that it could be the difference between someone getting shot or not much like some of the LEM trigger conversations that have taken place here.

Mike C
04-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Looking at it more the optic looks like it could be really useful on a micro sub gun like Sig makes, could also work well on MP5/K's and the like as well as pistols. For MIL I can see it as a real win, same mounts, batteries and could work across a few different platforms. Maybe not good for big Army but Small Army it could work nicely, same for LE I think.

El Cid
04-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Did I miss it? Does it have an enclosed emitter? If not I still think the ACRO is going to be more durable.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Did I miss it? Does it have an enclosed emitter? If not I still think the ACRO is going to be more durable.

Still open. And yes the Acro May be ultimately more reliable. I have a lot of rounds through my type 2 and it has been solid.

I think it is a matter of size for the open vs closed designs. Closed equals bigger optic size.

TCB
04-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Looks like Trijicon made a C-More! This should kill on an open gun...

CR78
04-26-2019, 08:45 AM
I may be getting ahead of myself, but as I look at where my RMR currently rides in my AIWB holster, I think that the SRO would fall at least partially below my beltline at my holster's current ride height. At first blush, I was thinking that there could be a benefit there for added concealment (at the expense of going up a waist size). As I think about it more though, if the SRO is exposed but partially under the beltline (like it would be with a traditional "RMR cutout"), would this create the potential for the pistol to be pushed out / dislodged by the belt under physical activity? Interested to see what Orionz06 and Tony Mayer think about holster designs.

dontshakepandas
04-26-2019, 09:15 AM
I may be getting ahead of myself, but as I look at where my RMR currently rides in my AIWB holster, I think that the SRO would fall at least partially below my beltline at my holster's current ride height. At first blush, I was thinking that there could be a benefit there for added concealment (at the expense of going up a waist size). As I think about it more though, if the SRO is exposed but partially under the beltline (like it would be with a traditional "RMR cutout"), would this create the potential for the pistol to be pushed out / dislodged by the belt under physical activity? Interested to see what Orionz06 and Tony Mayer think about holster designs.I just took some measurements with my JMCK and Tenicor holsters and neither would put the optic below the belt line, but I do have them set at a higher setting for optimal grip.

The JMCK might have to have the optic cut extended just a bit for the optic to fit, but it looks like the Tenicor will work as is.

jwperry
04-26-2019, 09:35 AM
The SRO would definitely sit below the belt line on my JMCK holster as well as probably get beat up by the DCC clip.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/b2e767fc8dbe1fb41b5d5db6125da04c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/25bf29f2956e2fc417fbcdca07e957ef.jpg

dontshakepandas
04-26-2019, 10:43 AM
The SRO would definitely sit below the belt line on my JMCK holster as well as probably get beat up by the DCC clip.

It looks like switching to the height adjustable DCC clips might give you a little more space, but I don't think it would be enough. I'm running a Glock so I guess the geometry is just different enough to work. From what I can tell my holsters will have the SRO sitting a bit higher above the clip than your RMR is.

Will_H
04-26-2019, 12:21 PM
First impression ?

The memes are evolving

GJM
04-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Did I read that the RMR will soon be updated to a top loading battery and a smaller version of the SRO shape display?

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Did I read that the RMR will soon be updated to a top loading battery and a smaller version of the SRO shape display?

That is what I had heard from a very reputable source. It was explained that the RMR will receive updates like the SRO. But will not release til maybe Shot show.

farscott
04-26-2019, 04:54 PM
I am going to hold off on the SRO as I am concerned about the moment arm created by the L-shaped cutout in the sight causing stress failures in the electronics package. The battery compartment could also be a source of failures. Of course, I always avoid the first generation of any new electronic product -- thirty years in the industry in multiple industry segments has hammered that lesson home.

Mike C
04-26-2019, 04:58 PM
That is what I had heard from a very reputable source. It was explained that the RMR will receive updates like the SRO. But will not release til maybe Shot show.

Had to hit like again for this info. I'm so pumped I just hope it comes out before next SHOT. I still like the fact that the RMSw cowitnesses with standard sights. I don't know if I can wait a year. Maybe I just need to trade some crap or get an RMR2 in the mean time.

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Had to hit like again for this info. I'm so pumped I just hope it comes out before next SHOT. I still like the fact that the RMSw cowitnesses with standard sights. I don't know if I can wait a year. Maybe I just need to trade some crap or get an RMR2 in the mean time.

As far as a carry optic the RMR 2 is imho the most durable out there. I have had mine for quite some time and it has spent a lot of that being shot by different shooters for lengths of time. It has not failed me yet. I am not saying it is indestructible, but mine has proven trustworthy. Mount it right and don’t beat the shit out of it.

I agree it is awhile out until they drop the updated model. But I like the direction they are going. I am not a gamer and will never carry a rds equipped pistol owb all the time. So having the option of a larger windowed rds and a smaller one is sweet. I’ll be able to concealed carry both of them. Yet have such similar features.

Mike C
04-26-2019, 05:21 PM
No arguments there. I think it is definitely the best out there at the moment. ACRO and the SRO will be too large for my uses but they are great options. I am glad to see some other options come to market and while only some of the features may cross over to smaller optics it is just a matter of time and at least confirmation they're working on things to get the technology/circuitry there.

STI
04-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Will this influence RM02 prices to go down?

Bah on the open emitter still.

GJM
04-26-2019, 06:23 PM
As far as a carry optic the RMR 2 is imho the most durable out there. I have had mine for quite some time and it has spent a lot of that being shot by different shooters for lengths of time.

What is the basis for your statement here?

Carry Optics shooters break optics all the time, but they shoot very high round counts. By and large, CO shooters are not using the RMR. Shot a lot means a different thing for a defensive pistol vs a competition pistol. I put more rounds on one DP Pro than ten RMR units I have had over the years, scattered over a bunch of pistols.

Mike C
04-26-2019, 06:48 PM

Carry Optics shooters break optics all the time, but they shoot very high round counts. By and large, CO shooters are not using the RMR. Shot a lot means a different thing for a defensive pistol vs a competition pistol. I put more rounds on one DP Pro than ten RMR units I have had over the years, scattered over a bunch of pistols.

No dog in the fight and not speaking for Trukinjp13. I will also add that I have nothing in terms or round count through optics on pistols. With that being said those I know at my club who are putting high round counts through pistol mounted optics, (most avg 12-15k or more a year) 90% of them are using RMR's, (first and second gen). All of them have held up better than the DP Pros, and Vortex's, maybe with the exception of some Gen 1 RMR's. The only other optic I've seen and been told has been doing well is the one guy shooting the Holosun and it looks beat to shit and still seems to be running. I'm not disputing your argument on what high round counts are or are not but considering the data you've given here and I have gleaned from other users a DP Pro isn't ready for prime time, (outside of competition) and I personally wouldn't carry one. An RMR on the other hand and considering I've used them on rifles as primary and secondary optics and have seen them used a fair amount on pistols leads me to trust them more than anything else on the market, more specifically the Gen 2 RMR's with the upgraded battery contacts.

breakingtime91
04-26-2019, 07:12 PM

How do you compare that to people like Doc who has been running rds guns for a long time and still advocates for RMRs for defensive use? He is a stellar shooter who has a lot of time behind a rds equipped gun.

GJM
04-26-2019, 07:14 PM
No dog in the fight and not speaking for Trukinjp13. I will also add that I have nothing in terms or round count through optics on pistols. With that being said those I know at my club who are putting high round counts through pistol mounted optics, (most avg 12-15k or more a year) 90% of them are using RMR's, (first and second gen). All of them have held up better than the DP Pros, and Vortex's, maybe with the exception of some Gen 1 RMR's. The only other optic I've seen and been told has been doing well is the one guy shooting the Holosun and it looks beat to shit and still seems to be running. I'm not disputing your argument on what high round counts are or are not but considering the data you've given here and I have gleaned from other users a DP Pro isn't ready for prime time, (outside of competition) and I personally wouldn't carry one. An RMR on the other hand and considering I've used them on rifles and primary and secondary optics and have seen them used a fair amount on pistols leads me to trust them more than anything else on the market, more specifically the Gen 2 RMR's with the upgraded battery contacts.

My friend, who keeps records, has an 8,000 rounds between failure average with his DP Pro optics, with the high failing at 22,000 rounds. I have heard that early DP Pro Optics were “quite” durable, meaning in the 20,000 range, before there was a manufacturing design change that Leupold is now addressing. I have had three RMR failures over the years, but my round counts are a fraction of my DP Pro rounds, between my wife and I, over the last three years.

Frankly, I don’t think any of the pre-Acro optics have been durable, and even if the RMR was the best of what was out, it wasn’t durable enough compared to the durability of other optics, and the display sucked for gaming. I sure hope the SRO is what we think it will be.

Default.mp3
04-26-2019, 07:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OOLjTnc.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwvCVFlnkCf/

Mike C
04-26-2019, 07:24 PM
My friend, who keeps records, has an 8,000 rounds between failure average with his DP Pro optics, with the high failing at 22,000 rounds. I have heard that early DP Pro Optics were “quite” durable, meaning in the 20,000 range, before there was a manufacturing design change that Leupold is now addressing. I have had three RMR failures over the years, but my round counts are a fraction of my DP Pro rounds, between my wife and I, over the last three years.

Frankly, I don’t think any of the pre-Acro optics have been durable, and even if the RMR was the best of what was out, it wasn’t durable enough compared to the durability of other optics, and the display sucked for gaming. I sure hope the SRO is what we think it will be.

GJM I would agree that none of them are durable enough. I don't have enough personal experience and would consider my information with them mounted on pistols to be anecdotal at best. I certainly believe you and what you are saying and I know that being mounted to a rifle is a world of difference. I believe that it is more personal bias if I am being honest based on my experiences with 1st Gen RMRs in service. Thank you for your information. The ACRO, SRO and hopefully the Gen 3 RMR's will provide a whole new level of reliability/durabilitym we are really living in the, "Golden age of guns" to quote DB. I am just hoping it will be in a smaller footprint that will be usable for my daily life. Thanks again I always enjoy your input.

Edited to add:

Default.mp3, SRO doesn't look that big from a rear profile shot, it might actually conceal better than I thought. I might have to try one. Have you seen a photo comparison from the rear of the SRO and RMR side by side?

GJM
04-26-2019, 07:24 PM
How do you compare that to people like Doc who has been running rds guns for a long time and still advocates for RMRs for defensive use? He is a stellar shooter who has a lot of time behind a rds equipped gun.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges here.

I have long maintained the RMR was the best EDC red dot. That was based on reliability compared to other options, battery life, control function, the ability to use BUIS and the optic’s size. If you were going to carry a red dot, and Gary made that decision after a head injury, the RMR was the way to go. However, as a shooting optic it sucked compared to alternatives like the DP Pro, and that was the reason only five percent of the Carry Optics shooters at Nationals last year used an RMR.

In the Sage thread, Gary recently said CO is where the durability testing is happening. Just three shooters I know, shot over 150,000 rounds through a DP Pro (actually many of them) in the last calendar year. That is just three, and there are hundreds or thousands of USPSA shooters doing high round counts. Not surprisingly, with those round counts, optics break a lot. If you treated a DP Pro like the typical EDC RMR, you would get very few failures.

breakingtime91
04-26-2019, 07:28 PM
I think you are mixing apples and oranges here.

I have long maintained the RMR was the best EDC red dot. That was based on reliability compared to other options, battery life, control function, the ability to use BUIS and the optic’s size. If you were going to carry a red dot, and Gary made that decision after a head injury, the RMR was the way to go. However, as a shooting optic it sucked compared to alternatives like the DP Pro, and that was the reason only five percent of the Carry Optics shooters at Nationals last year used an RMR.

In the Sage thread, Gary recently said CO is where the durability testing is happening. Just three shooters I know, shot over 150,000 rounds through a DP Pro (actually many of them) in the last calendar year. That is just three, and there are hundreds or thousands of USPSA shooters doing high round counts. Not surprisingly, with those round counts, optics break a lot. If you treated a DP Pro like the typical EDC RMR, you would get very few failures.

I agree that Carry Optics is testing them to a high degree, I plan on getting into it also. I just think you have a choice of a red or blue pill right now and have to take the weak side with the positive side of optics. The SRO vs ACRO reminds me of Aimpoint Comp vs Eotech..

GJM
04-26-2019, 07:31 PM
I really like to see actual data to vet claims about durability. Short of scientifically rigorous data, I want to see enough anecdotes that starts to approach data.

For example, a well known ex military trainer, unequivocally states on a YouTube video that the DP Pro is the toughest, or words to that effect, red dot. My own anecdotes and those of close friends, absolutely refute his statement.

Lately, I keep reading about how tough the RMR is. Perhaps the military testing of the RMR type 2 would support that, but I don’t have access to it, and of the two type two units I have had, one failed almost immediately. In terms of anecdotes, I don’t have enough rounds on my RMR units to have an opinion, and the RMR shooters I am aware of don’t shoot anywhere the round counts CO shooters do. As an example, I don’t consider 12-15,000 rounds a year to be high round count.

Mjolnir
04-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Is it just me or this optic sits lower than it sat ontop of the Springfield in the Trijicon video?

If so (unless my eyes are betraying me) this looks like it would be “less intrusive”/ no more difficult to conceal than an RMR? The (right)corner of the RMR always poked out when carrying AIWB which relegated it to range or strong side IWB.

With the rounded profile I think this will work... Mounting this on a CZ P-10C would be [emoji91].

I know I had difficulty with the RMR on a G19 - locating the dot. I must have drawn that pistol 1500 times but only put ~ 200 rounds thru it (Dot Drills). It was frustrating. The Dot was always high - right where the aluminum frame framed the glass. This MIGHT be a decent option: purchase one and send it and a P-10C slide to Doug at ATEI.

[emoji848]

Default.mp3
04-26-2019, 07:34 PM
@Default.mp3 (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1132), SRO doesn't look that big from a rear profile shot, it might actually conceal better than I thought. I might have to try one. Have you seen a photo comparison from the rear of the SRO and RMR side by side?From the other SRO thread:
I put together a very rough overlay of the RMR on top of the SRO based on the comparison photo floating around.

The window looks HUGE in comparison, but it looks like the footprint of the optics at the widest point isn't really all that different and I think I could conceal this AIWB fairly well.

I'm pretty glad that I returned the RMR that I just bought and will probably pick one of these up. Eventually the RMR will move to my training gun since I think training with the smaller window could help refine skills even more.A buddy of mine carries with a DPP; his argument is that the front being so close to the belt line makes it so that the increased size really isn't that big a deal, especially since it's a rounded hood, so it blends right in.

dontshakepandas
04-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Is it just me or this optic sits lower than it sat ontop of the Springfield in the Trijicon video?

If so (unless my eyes are betraying me) this looks like it would be “less intrusive”/ no more difficult to conceal than an RMR? The (right)corner of the RMR always poked out when carrying AIWB which relegated it to range or strong side IWB.

With the rounded profile I think this will work... Mounting this on a CZ P-10C would be [emoji91].

I know I had difficulty with the RMR on a G19 - locating the dot. I must have drawn that pistol 1500 times but only put ~ 200 rounds thru it (Dot Drills). It was frustrating. The Dot was always high - right where the aluminum frame framed the glass. This MIGHT be a decent option: purchase one and send it and a P-10C slide to Doug at ATEI.

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's not just you. On the XD it was sitting completely on top of the slide. I haven't paid any attention to XDs so I'm not sure if they can actually be milled lower than that.

Mike C
04-26-2019, 07:52 PM
From the other SRO thread:A buddy of mine carries with a DPP; his argument is that the front being so close to the belt line makes it so that the increased size really isn't that big a deal, especially since it's a rounded hood, so it blends right in.

Thanks I'm missing crap a lot lately.

GJM 12-15K not high round count. I guess that is relative to whom you are comparing your round counts to but that puts things in perspective. I would argue that round count is not everything in terms of reliability. Holding zero after taking a spill/dropping the gun or optic matter as well. The optic surviving holster life for LE and being scuffed against the ground without breakage are also important. I don't have data to back up my argument in regards to how durable a DP Pro would be but; I have watched dudes drop M4's with RMR's mounted atop ACOGS down flights of stairs, off moving trucks and bang them around clearing buildings in Iraq. They are rugged and survived most of the time while still maintaining zero. I wouldn't put a DP Pro in that category though I would be open to changing my mind. I realize again it's not life on a pistol but the glass and housing are rugged and I have personally witnessed a great deal of abuse to them and again, I would argue round count isn't the only indicator to reliably though it is a very important factor.

GJM
04-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks I'm missing crap a lot lately.

GJM 12-15K not high round count. I guess that is relative to whom you are comparing your round counts to but that puts things in perspective. I would argue that round count is not everything in terms of reliability. Holding zero after taking a spill/dropping the gun or optic matter as well. The optic surviving holster life for LE and being scuffed against the ground without breakage are also important. I don't have data to back up my argument in regards to how durable a DP Pro would be but; I have watched dudes drop M4's with RMR's mounted atop ACOGS down flights of stairs, off moving trucks and bang them around clearing buildings in Iraq. They are rugged and survived most of the time while still maintaining zero. I wouldn't put a DP Pro in that category though I would be open to changing my mind. I realize again it's not life on a pistol but the glass and housing are rugged and I have personally witnessed a great deal of abuse to them and again, I would argue round count isn't the only indicator to reliably though it is a very important factor.

Assuming we live long enough, I predict we will all look back and laugh at the “state of the art” in current red dot optics.

Today though, if the DP Pro gets fixed, the Acro is what we think, the RMS W is what they claim, the SRO works, and Trijicon updates the RMR, we will have a pretty good selection of options to cater to what I believe are the three segments — EDC, gaming and LE/duty.

As a side note, I wonder how much of the RMR’s reported durability relates to the patented protective ears, and what that implies for the SRO with its circular display?

Mike C
04-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Assuming we live long enough, I predict we will all look back and laugh at the “state of the art” in current red dot optics.

Today though, if the DP Pro gets fixed, the Acro is what we think, the RMS W is what they claim, the SRO works, and Trijicon updates the RMR, we will have a pretty good selection of options to cater to what I believe are the three segments — EDC, gaming and LE/duty.

As a side note, I wonder how much of the RMR’s reported durability relates to the patented protective ears, and what that implies for the SRO with its circular display?

GJM, anecdotal but those ears absorb some shit, JOE's love to drop and break crap I'm sure JRB can attest to some of that. I think you bring up an interesting point, but I think a round display can be plenty durable just look at the SRS Trijicon makes and the various Aimpoints with tubes that are thinner than the SRS lens housing all of which are tough as freaking nails. Personally I think it has to do with lens quality and bonding of lens to body as well as the materials and shape of the optic and its ability to distribute force over a wider surface area protecting the lens. I think it's much more than just body design and also includes how circuitry is mounted but I'm no engineer. I would love to chew the ear off of someone at Aimpoint for a day to understand how everything works to make a durable red dot.

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Carry as in concealed carry, I have tried to make it clear I have zero interest in gamer guns. The RMR is the best carry option there is. I know multiple people with high round counts through rmr2 and they have held up extremely well through training classes and carry.

GJM
04-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Carry as in concealed carry, I have tried to make it clear I have zero interest in gamer guns. The RMR is the best carry option there is. I know multiple people with high round counts through rmr2 and they have held up extremely well through training classes and carry.

What is the average rounds between failure with the RMR?

breakingtime91
04-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Thought we needed data? not anecdotal..

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 09:46 PM

[emoji848]

You are correct my friend. A p10c with a Sro would be amazing. The ergos and trigger from the CZ and a clear larger windowed mrds=GREATNESS

Mjolnir
04-26-2019, 09:56 PM
You are correct my friend. A p10c with a Sro would be amazing. The ergos and trigger from the CZ and a clear larger windowed mrds=GREATNESS

All
It
Needs
Is
A
Striker
Control
Device...

Helloooo out thereeeee!!! [emoji1431][emoji1431]

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Personally? 0

I stand firmly behind it being the best option for concealed carry. What other optic available is capable of what the RMR2 gets you. The reason you dislike it is the reason I love it. I trust a RMR2 whole heartedly over a dp pro and every other option next to the Acro. And that is not in the same class anyways. I am not trying to argue. This is my opinion through hard use of my own and acquaintances of mine.

My RMR2 has personally been through a lot: it has been shipped all over this country and used in different climates by different shooters. No, it has never been on a gamer gun. It never will be. So I can not say it has 60k through it. It never will. Does that make it unreliable? I think not.

I also brought up how excited I am about improvements being made in the SRO and Trijicon releasing a updated RMR in the future.

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 10:10 PM
All
It
Needs
Is
A
Striker
Control
Device...

Don’t get me excited Brother!!!

miller_man
04-27-2019, 06:09 AM
Lately, I keep reading about how tough the RMR is. Perhaps the military testing of the RMR type 2 would support that, but I don’t have access to it, and of the two type two units I have had, one failed almost immediately. In terms of anecdotes, I don’t have enough rounds on my RMR units to have an opinion, and the RMR shooters I am aware of don’t shoot anywhere the round counts CO shooters do. As an example, I don’t consider 12-15,000 rounds a year to be high round count.

George, you don't go much into your experience with your RMR's. Seems one crapped out immediately (which sucks) but what about the 2nd? Did/do you not shoot it anymore?

You've stated you have a strong preference for the window of the DPP - is that most or all of the reason for leaving the rmr out and continuing with the DPP?

I recall you have had your share of problems with the DPP.

I am not being smug or trying to defend the rmr - just curious and looking for a little more of your input.

GJM
04-27-2019, 07:23 AM
George, you don't go much into your experience with your RMR's. Seems one crapped out immediately (which sucks) but what about the 2nd? Did/do you not shoot it anymore?

You've stated you have a strong preference for the window of the DPP - is that most or all of the reason for leaving the rmr out and continuing with the DPP?

I recall you have had your share of problems with the DPP.

I am not being smug or trying to defend the rmr - just curious and looking for a little more of your input.

1) I have long maintained that the RMR is the best EDC red dot. I currently have a half dozen or so of them.

2) when I shoot an RMR, I dislike the display because I am used to the DP Pro display, which is far easier to shoot at a higher level.

3) I have never said an RMR is not reliable. What I have said, is to make the claim that optic X is more reliable than optic Y, we need data. With the DP Pro, the data we have suggests they go, on average, about 8,000 rounds before failing. Nobody here has offered data on average rounds until failure for the RMR. Without that information, we are left with statements like “I have taken a bunch of courses and it hasn’t failed, thus it is more reliable.”

4) most gun owners do not shoot very much. As you may know, I am working with Leupold on fixing the DP Pro, and a new ruggedized unit in on the way to me now for testing. Having broken 22 Pros, between my wife and I, I consider them to be unreliable, for the way we use them. Despite my experience, Leupold’s repair return rate for the Pro is extremely low, suggesting most people that buy them don’t shoot them high round counts.

5) I have read comments, where people say the SRO will be dead nuts reliable, since the RMR is so reliable. Without knowing the average rounds between failure for an RMR it is hard to evaluate that statement.

miller_man
04-27-2019, 07:43 AM
GJM - Awesome, thanks for sharing.

GJM
04-27-2019, 08:31 AM
The SRO underscores the importance of development speed (HK, you hear that with your optics ready VP9). If Aimpoint started delivering the Acro last fall, they would have had six months to establish the product without significant competition. Who knows how many LE contracts they could have secured since. Trijicon has addressed every concern that I had with the RMR, except the open emitter (which trades off weather performance for concealibility), and sucked a significant amount of the wind out of the Acro’s sails, making this a two horse race for contracts and acceptance. I am frankly impressed how well Trijicon did and how quickly they did it.

GJM
04-27-2019, 01:19 PM
Something I especially like about the SRO is the shape of the display. Here is a picture from this morning, with my CZ with a RTS2, that has a similar display shape.

TOTS
04-27-2019, 03:07 PM

Tom_Jones (re SCD for P10c)

All
It
Needs
Is
A
Striker
Control
Device...

RevolverRob
04-27-2019, 03:19 PM
5) I have read comments, where people say the SRO will be dead nuts reliable, since the RMR is so reliable. Without knowing the average rounds between failure for an RMR it is hard to evaluate that statement.

I feel the same way about the ACRO. People were proclaiming it the greatest thing since sliced bread, before anyone even had one.

FWIW, the SAGE Dynamics white paper linked earlier does have rounds-between-failure for the optics tested.

ETA: Pulled these from the Sage White Paper, Pages 15 and 16.

TOTS
04-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Closest I could find to actual empirical data concerning MRBF is from Aaron’s white paper where he has over 14k on one of his type 2s over two years. Can’t do an average as none of his type 2s have had failures but he does have some type 1s included with failures. I realize I’m out of my depth here, but no one else was offering data....

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_0ce3f826e1264cff964d64079552b640.pdf

Edited: FML, mods please delete, Rob beat me by three minutes!

Bart Carter
04-28-2019, 05:39 PM
I feel the same way about the ACRO. People were proclaiming it the greatest thing since sliced bread, before anyone even had one.

FWIW, the SAGE Dynamics white paper linked earlier does have rounds-between-failure for the optics tested.

ETA: Pulled these from the Sage White Paper, Pages 15 and 16.

With a sample size of one, any data is useless. For instance I have two Vortex Venoms on two different pistols that have about 20,000 rounds between them.

Trukinjp13
04-28-2019, 06:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190428/cf70167cf9eba593bc9a75416bf65d79.jpg

Sorry if this was posted. There are a lot mrds threads going on. I have been off the whole weekend.

Darth_Uno
04-28-2019, 06:19 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet if I want an SRO, or if I think it's big and stupid.

Sigfan26
04-28-2019, 06:24 PM
The SRO underscores the importance of development speed (HK, you hear that with your optics ready VP9). If Aimpoint started delivering the Acro last fall, they would have had six months to establish the product without significant competition. Who knows how many LE contracts they could have secured since. Trijicon has addressed every concern that I had with the RMR, except the open emitter (which trades off weather performance for concealibility), and sucked a significant amount of the wind out of the Acro’s sails, making this a two horse race for contracts and acceptance. I am frankly impressed how well Trijicon did and how quickly they did it.

They’ve spent over 2 years on development (Will Petty worked on the project and reported 2 years he’s been helping). Trijicon is also distributed by United Sporting Companies (conglomerate of several FFL distributors), RSR Group, Lipsey’s, and many others I can’t remember. Aimpoint, to my knowledge, is not. Availability is another major issue. Aimpoint seems to focus more on LE/MIL.

miller_man
04-28-2019, 07:37 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet if I want an SRO, or if I think it's big and stupid.

I fall deeply into the want crowd, it does look a bit weird from the side though - but who cares, the window is so nice.

Sigfan26
04-28-2019, 07:51 PM

I fall deeply into the want crowd, it does look a bit weird from the side though - but who cares, the window is so nice.

Function should come before form. That being said, I have no issue with the original RMR.

That being said, Trijicon has shown an intelligent path: It NEEDS to fit the existing footprint.

Darth_Uno
04-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I'll probably get one just to see if I like it. If I do, great. If not, now I know and it'll be a fairly inexpensive experiment.

Bigger is better: bigger gun, bigger bullet, bigger window. But by happy accident, the RMR's dot tends to cowitness as a 'roided up front sight, so I've never thought I wished the RMR had a bigger window. So if the SRO is the same POI/POA I don't need a bigger viewing area.

Sigfan26
04-29-2019, 12:01 AM
1)

Would you be surprised to find out that the majority of shooters don’t maintain a log of how many rounds they shoot? I know I never do/have. I will say my first RMR made it 7 years (with many instances of me beating it on a metal countertop to show ruggedness) without an issue. Sold it to a buddy who had issues with it. Trijicon had him send it in (no warranty still attached since it was 7 years old And purchased second hand). They gave home a new Type 2 at no charge.

Bart Carter
04-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Would you be surprised to find out that the majority of shooters don’t maintain a log of how many rounds they shoot? I know I never do/have...

I know I don't maintain a log. I just look at how many rounds I have purchased and divide it by two because I shoot PCC and CO pretty much evenly. Even when I practice. Its surprising when I looked at just the TPC classes I took last year and the round count was 3,000 PCC and 5,500 CO.

You would think with all those classes, I would be a better shooter. :p

SCSU74
04-29-2019, 09:05 AM
They’ve spent over 2 years on development (Will Petty worked on the project and reported 2 years he’s been helping). Trijicon is also distributed by United Sporting Companies (conglomerate of several FFL distributors), RSR Group, Lipsey’s, and many others I can’t remember. Aimpoint, to my knowledge, is not. Availability is another major issue. Aimpoint seems to focus more on LE/MIL.

Wish they'd just translate the programming to the RMR. Manual setting lockout should have in the type 2. Top load battery isn't a big deal to me if it lasts over a year.

Trukinjp13
04-29-2019, 09:21 AM
Wish they'd just translate the programming to the RMR. Manual setting lockout should have in the type 2. Top load battery isn't a big deal to me if it lasts over a year.

Patience. It should be coming. I think they knew that they needed a large windowed mrds to compete with the others. And since the rmr2 has won a large contract and is a damn good optic they did not want to cut the sales of it or the sales of the Sro.

I know some really hate the auto. But it takes seconds to avoid having to deal with it.

RevolverRob
04-29-2019, 09:30 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190428/cf70167cf9eba593bc9a75416bf65d79.jpg

Sorry if this was posted. There are a lot mrds threads going on. I have been off the whole weekend.

I think the SRO looks awesome and the ACRO looks like a Lego Block.

But then, I like curves on things and not straight lines. So...I might be biased.

Trukinjp13
04-29-2019, 10:04 AM

But then, I like curves on things and not straight lines. So...I might be biased.

I agree.

feudist
04-29-2019, 10:46 AM

Not a Taylor Swift fan, eh?

RevolverRob
04-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Not a Taylor Swift fan, eh?

Indeed.

I'm more of an Adele kind of guy.

DocGKR
04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Hmmmm. Data. I seem to recall a paper being released by a large West Coast LE agency about 5 years ago which discussed their half-decade of slide-mounted pistol RDS testing that stated:

"After evaluating the available mini-RDS options, the Trijicon RMR was selected as the primary optic for testing. In early 2010, six RMR02 8MOA sights with 4 digit SN’s were installed on the milled slides of four Glock 9mm’s and 2 M&P45’s. These six original RMR02’s each fired in excess of 10,000 rounds with no RDS failures over 3 years. One battery was changed after 33 months of continuous use, one battery was changed after 36 months of use, and three batteries were still working at 39 months of use. One of these initial RMR02’s broke after 5 years of service and about 15,000 rounds and was quickly replaced by Trijicon. The other five original RMR02’s are still in service, although all are now on their second battery. These RMR02’s were carried daily, including use in rain, snow, sub-zero temperatures, and 100 degree heat. Adding a small amount of electrical insulating tape between the battery and the slide to protect the battery contacts on the RMR from touching the slide metal is prudent to prevent premature battery failure. The use of the Trijicon RM63 mount sealing plate is also wise.

In early 2011, twelve adjustable intensity RMR-A’s (RMR06 & RMR07) were mounted on 9 mm Glocks and M&P45’s and added to the testing. Six additional RMR-A’s were also mounted on the slides of various other pistol types. All 18 of this second group of RMR’s had 5 digit SN’s. The adjustment pads on the early RMR-A's were very sensitive to even slight touch. Several individuals with RMR-A's on duty pistols found that the right side dimmer switch would frequently get hit while the pistol was in the holster (modified 6280's/6004's, RCS Phantoms, Comp Tac Belt Holsters) causing the red dot to be too dim. This occurred just sitting in cars bumping against the seat belt buckle, getting jostled when going through shoot houses, and with general pistol manipulations. The advent of holsters, like the Fricke Michael and the Safariland 6354DO, that protect the RDS seems to have nearly eliminated this issue. Several of this second group of RMR-A’s had trouble holding windage--typically moving 8-10 clicks clockwise over a few hundred rounds of shooting. Painting witness marks allowed a quick visual indicator to identify if this occurred. Nail polish was used by some shooters to lock the windage screw down. Trijicon rapidly fixed these problems. More seriously, when mounted on handgun slides, the second group of RMR-A’s experienced frequent premature electronic failure. Unlike the original RMR02’s, NONE of the second group of RMR-A’s lasted beyond 5000 rounds and quite a few failed under 2000 rounds. Trijicon immediately repaired each failed optic. After the initial 3 year study ended, Trijicon eventually identified the failure points and instituted engineering changes to increase robustness and durability of the RMR-A’s."

Personally, I have one RMR06 that is at 18,000 rounds, three at 9-12,000 rounds, half-dozen sitting at 5000-9000 rounds, and two under 3000 rounds. Several of these RMR's failed early (under 2000 rounds) and were repaired by Trijicon--the reported round counts are all post-repair.

In shooting handgun mounted first gen RMR's for nearly a decade now, it appears that 1/3 or so will break under 2000 rounds, another third will go about 5-8000 rounds, and a third seem to have no problems exceeding 10,000 rounds. We have done no long-term official testing on the second gen RMR's. As always, YMMV....

Trukinjp13
04-29-2019, 12:42 PM
What do most people think a acceptable failure round count should be on a rds? And does the type of use change what we think is acceptable? Say a gamer/Leo/mil/ccw?

Darth_Uno
04-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Gamers have no penalty for optic failure besides mild frustration and a possibly lower score.

The others are life and death situations. Obviously you should be able to overcome a failure (with BUIS) but I’m willing to pay for the best, which by nearly all accounts seems to be the RMR.

Using, for example, a FastFire is like towing with a gas engine. It’s probably fine *today* but won’t last as long as a diesel.

Gio
04-29-2019, 02:51 PM
What do most people think a acceptable failure round count should be on a rds? And does the type of use change what we think is acceptable? Say a gamer/Leo/mil/ccw?

For gaming I would say it needs to go at least 10k+, and even for that, you need to have a primary/match gun with an optic you are gentle with, a training/dry fire gun that can see more abuse, and a backup training/match gun for when one of your others goes down. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like paying close to $1000 in match fees, ammo, gas, and lodging to have my optic die on me and ruin the whole match, so reliability is extremely important.

For LEO/Mil, unless you have vision issues that preclude you from using iron sights, I don't think any current optics are anywhere near reliable enough for use. For a LEO/mil with vision issues I'd still recommend a three gun system like above at the minimum, with the gun you carry every day seeing very low round count and usage.

DocGKR
04-29-2019, 02:53 PM
"For a LEO/mil with vision issues I'd still recommend a three gun system like above at the minimum, with the gun you carry every day seeing very low round count and usage."

Yup...Duty/Carry pistol, training pistol, extra pistol.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
05-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Any updates on a timeframe for availability & those that pre-ordered where & any deliveries yet?

dontshakepandas
05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Any updates on a timeframe for availability & those that pre-ordered where & any deliveries yet?

I think I remember seeing they would be shipping in early June.

Trukinjp13
05-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Trijicon told me end of May beginning of June as well. I am excited to see how it shakes out.

BCWood64
05-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Trijicon told me end of May beginning of June as well. I am excited to see how it shakes out.

Got a source for that or just a buddy who works for them?

GJM
05-23-2019, 01:57 PM
I have heard from three different sources, that Trijicon is saying their new SRO is built for competition, not duty, and for duty they recommend the RMR. Not sure if they are trying to protect the RMR, just be cautious, or they know something from their testing.

BCWood64
05-23-2019, 03:57 PM
I have heard from three different sources, that Trijicon is saying their new SRO is built for competition, not duty, and for duty they recommend the RMR. Not sure if they are trying to protect the RMR, just be cautious, or they know something from their testing.

I guess the Cowan's review will show us this.

dontshakepandas
05-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Per the Trijicon rep in this video, the SRO isn't as durable as the RMR in drops and crush tests, but is still the second most durable optic they tested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx-zcJ5Ja8

This makes sense to me due to the shape. I think it still sounds plenty rugged for concealed carry, but I think I'd go with an ACRO for duty or open carry.

mtnbkr
05-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Wouldn't competition be harder on the device?

Chris

matt7184
05-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Harder on electronics due to G load of the slide. But not physically harder on the optic body/lens.

BCWood64
05-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Everything this a compromise I guess, Trijicon knew probably going for the larger window is going to sacrifice the raw ability to shurg off blunt force to the body of the SRO.

But if they beefed the electronics up to give the SRO a longer round service life. I'll scratch that as a win in my book.

GJM
05-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Wouldn't competition be harder on the device?

Chris

Harder on electronics due to G load of the slide. But not physically harder on the optic body/lens.

I am yet to break the body or lens of a pistol mounted optic, although I am well north of 20 failures of the electronics from shooting them.

I take manufacturer claims with a grain salt, because they may be biased or their testing program just does not simulate the forces shooting places on the optic.

I think 6-12 months into service, we will have a good idea how the SRO (and Acro) hold up to impact and shooting.

mtnbkr
05-23-2019, 06:02 PM
although I am well north of 20 failures of the electronics from shooting them.
That's the point of my question. It appears shooting is the root cause of failures. I would expect competition shooting to be higher volume than "duty" shooting.

Chris

Mike C
05-23-2019, 11:27 PM
I must have missed the brightness lock feature in previous videos or posts. Man someone was definitely thinking there.

Sigfan26
05-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Can you cite the sources?

Sigfan26
05-24-2019, 12:04 AM

Their big tester (Will Petty) is definitely a “Tactical “ shooter, not a competition shooter.

GJM
05-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Can you cite the sources?

Three different knowledgeable industry people, I personally know, who said they were told this by Trijicon.

Jay Cunningham
05-24-2019, 07:24 AM
I still remember when MagPul introduced the PMAG it was supposed to be a cheap training alternative to USGI aluminum magazines. That was the initial marketing - and I think it was smart. Trijicon may be doing the same thing with the SRO.

:confused:

miller_man
05-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Still totally excited to put this on a pistol, my LGS/range has one of their first shipped with my name on it.

BCWood64
05-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Next paycheck I think I will put a pre-order down on this. Debating if this is going to go on my Wilson CQB Elite .45ACP or my Nighthawk Shadowhawk Commander 9mm. Either way the Wilson has a RMR01 on it so its matter of time before it craps out.

GJM
05-24-2019, 05:39 PM
I plan to bolt one on as soon as they are available and shoot the crap out of it.

Grey
05-24-2019, 06:03 PM
I plan to bolt one on as soon as they are available and shoot the crap out of it.Going to be very interested in your thoughts between this and the ACRO and RMR for a carry optics rig.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
05-24-2019, 07:35 PM
I plan to bolt one on as soon as they are available and shoot the crap out of it.

Agreed George & I'm hopeful that someone here will give some guidance on what vendors will be receiving some in the first wave out from Trij.

Sigfan26
05-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Agreed George & I'm hopeful that someone here will give some guidance on what vendors will be receiving some in the first wave out from Trij.

RSR Group is a major distributor for Trijicon. I’d try finding a dealer in your area that uses them and seeing what they will do on price.

Grey
06-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Looks like these are shipping now.

GJM
06-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Looks like these are shipping now.

Kenzie’s Optics shows the 1 and 2.5 moa, but not the 5 moa in stock.

Grey
06-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Kenzie’s Optics shows the 1 and 2.5 moa, but not the 5 moa in stock.Looking for the 5 moa specifically? I was thinking a 2.5 would be the pick.

Cant decide if I should get one seeing as my free time has been zero for the last 6 months.

Grey
06-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Looking for the 5 moa specifically? I was thinking a 2.5 would be the pick.

Cant decide if I should get one seeing as my free time has been zero for the last 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TapatalkFuck it. Picked up a 2.5 moa dot.

Time to go buy a 19mos.

Tokarev
06-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Kenzie's Optics has these in stock.

https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/trijicon-sro-sight-adjustable-led-2-5-moa-red-dot/

dontshakepandas
06-05-2019, 12:14 PM
I just got a shipping notice for mine from EuroOptic.

Grey
06-08-2019, 03:50 PM
SRO is here, much bigger window than that RMR (if I recall correctly), the blue tint seems less than the RMR, slight fish eye (doesn't bother me). Can't wait to get this mounted up and shot.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
06-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Any feedback from folks that received their SRO's and have some rounds down range w/ it?

BCWood64
06-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Agreed for those who own them, how does it stack up?

GJM
06-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Agreed for those who own them, how does it stack up?

Our SRO arrives Monday. Realistically, it will be July before we know anything good, and if sooner it will only be something bad.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
06-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Our SRO arrives Monday. Realistically, it will be July before we know anything good, and if sooner it will only be something bad.

Did you find a 5.0 George or end up w/ a 2.5 MOA?

GJM
06-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Did you find a 5.0 George or end up w/ a 2.5 MOA?

Got a 2.5 while waiting for a 5.

dontshakepandas
06-10-2019, 02:00 PM
My 2.5 MOA model arrived a few minutes ago and I threw it on a Jagerwerks milled slide and did a few dry draws for comparison.

I'm noticing very little if any difference in concealment compared to an RMR. Finding the dot on the draw is signicantly easier, so I imagine that tracking the dot during recoil will be much improved also.

The glass does seem a bit clearer than my RMR, but it isn't really noticable unless you are specifically looking for it. The fisheye effect seems a lot better than on the RMR also. It is still noticable around the edges on the SRO, but since the lens has significantly more area that is NOT an edge the result is a clearer image overall.

It also seems like the rear deck height is slightly higher on the SRO than the RMR. I'm able to see less of my BUIS through the window than with an RMR, but actually prefer the sight picture since the sights cover less of the actual lens. This could be partially caused by the fact that my two slides were milled by different companies, but even just holding the SRO up to the RMR it seems slightly taller.

I think the increased window size is well worth what it gives up in concealability. I've done enough practice drawing with the RMR that the dot is usually where I expect it to be, but I think the SRO will really help with non standard draws or shooting from awkward positions which could be likely in competition or self defense scenarios.

If the durability stands up to what Trijicon is saying (less than the RMR but more durable than anything else) I think it is a winner for me and I'll likely have my RMR up for sale soon.

Darth_Uno
06-10-2019, 03:11 PM
That’s the review I’m looking for. My 2.5 is on backorder. [emoji853]

Is finding the dot that much quicker? That’s my biggest question. I’d hoped the bigger window put it into your FOV that much sooner.

GJM
06-10-2019, 04:32 PM
The SRO that I expected to arrive today, is still on the way. However, my friend received a 2.5 today, mounted it on a 320 X5, and shot 600 rounds through it.

First, the good. He loved the size of the display and intensity of the dot. Said he had to turn it down three clicks from max bright, on an outside, sunny Montana range. Was originally waiting for a 5 moa, but said the 2.5 is so bright, he now is undecided whether he wants the 5 moa. The dot held zero and was a delight to shoot.

Now, the bad. In the first 100 rounds, he had an empty case jam between the top of the barrel hood and the lower forward portion of the SRO. Later it happened again in the session, for a total of two instances in 600 rounds. Hope this doesn’t turn out to be an issue.

GJM
06-10-2019, 04:47 PM
The SRO that I expected to arrive today, is still on the way. However, my friend received a 2.5 today, mounted it on a 320 X5, and shot 600 rounds through it.

First, the good. He loved the size of the display and intensity of the dot. Said he had to turn it down three clicks from max bright, on an outside, sunny Montana range. Was originally waiting for a 5 moa, but said the 2.5 is so bright, he now is undecided whether he wants the 5 moa. The dot held zero and was a delight to shoot.

Now, the bad. In the first 100 rounds, he had an empty case jam between the top of the barrel hood and the lower forward portion of the SRO. Later it happened again in the session, for a total of two instances in 600 rounds. Hope this doesn’t turn out to be an issue.

He sent me this, showing it.

Lon
06-10-2019, 04:57 PM
He sent me this, showing it.

I wonder how much the plate mounting system contributes to this since it requires the SRO to sit higher than a direct mounted option?

GJM
06-10-2019, 05:09 PM
I wonder how much the plate mounting system contributes to this since it requires the SRO to sit higher than a direct mounted option?

Think we can sticky some chewing gum in there to prevent it? ;)

dontshakepandas
06-10-2019, 05:42 PM
I wonder how much the plate mounting system contributes to this since it requires the SRO to sit higher than a direct mounted option?I think the mounting system/height would have a huge impact on this. My SRO sits much lower on my milled Glock 19.5.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/67a7b3a669c6a47d37fe3863e32eb6b9.jpg

GJM
06-10-2019, 06:06 PM
This “issue” may be the best argument I have heard for 45 ACP in the last few years!

theJanitor
06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Is the case ejection for the 320 X5 robust? is he running gamer ammo and springs?

I was just contemplating a G19.5 this morning, but if the gap is too big, I'll go direct mill like I have before

Rich406
06-10-2019, 06:52 PM
I’m sure the Glock MOS would have an equivalent gap. If it only works well with direct milled slides that’s gonna be a problem for most people.

Lon
06-10-2019, 06:58 PM
I’m sure the Glock MOS would have an equivalent gap. If it only works well with direct milled slides that’s gonna be a problem for most people.

Easily fixed. Take a piece of that foam tape they use to seal around doors and put it on the bottom of the optic window. Gap filled. Problem solved.

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Strip-Adhesive-Weather-Length/dp/B078H8Y95X/ref=asc_df_B078H8Y95X/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242000691778&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1595972760448529182&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012222&hvtargid=pla-406681032466&psc=1

Gray01
06-10-2019, 07:07 PM
I think the mounting system/height would have a huge impact on this. My SRO sits much lower on my milled Glock 19.5.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/67a7b3a669c6a47d37fe3863e32eb6b9.jpg

Is there room for the iron sight to be mounted (direct milled) in front of the optic instead of at the rear?

dontshakepandas
06-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Is there room for the iron sight to be mounted (direct milled) in front of the optic instead of at the rear?I wouldn't think so based on the position that a forward placed sight is usually positioned. That would probably need to be definitively answered by someone more familiar with the actual milling process though.