PDA

View Full Version : New Trijicon Pistol Mounted RDS???

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Tod-13
09-26-2019, 07:31 AM
^^^ Not sure if we'll ever see an optic that can detect and adjust to downrange light... I don't see how it would be mechanically achieved.
The best I can imagine would be a wireless connection with the WML that would increase the dot intensity when the light was activated.

Why do you need wireless? Seems pretty straightforward: put a photosensor of whatever type on the optic pointed downrange. Alternatively, put the sensor on the user's side of the optic, embedded in or near the BUIS also pointed downrange, so you can adjust what the user is actually seeing.

From another standpoint, you are adding even more electronics (and possibly software) onto a package that is trying to optimize size, power consumption, and robustness already.

JodyH
09-26-2019, 07:41 AM
I'd settle for wireless charging.
Set your pistol down on the wireless charging pad on the nightstand and start every day with 100% battery.

ADK
09-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Older Docter optics had photo sensor on the front of the base. In my experience it did a better job of adjusting off of downrange light (i.e. what the shooter's eyes are looking at) than the RMR/SRO that I believe detects light through the emitter window, which is shaded from downrange light by the sight body. The Docter arrangement was problematic however in that if you wanted to mill it deep into a slide, the slide would cover the photo sensor unless you scooped out a divot in the slide to keep it exposed. While it worked I believe it was less efficient. Optimum placement for the photo sensor might be the top center of the frame, facing downrange. But of course that may introduce durability issues. Could also disrupt auto-adjust function should the sensor get dirty/occluded. That happens with any auto-adjust optic, but is a moot point if the photo sensor is behind the emitter window (thereby occluded sensor = occluded dot anyway).

El Cid
09-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Truly functional auto-adjust would be quite useful both for battery conservation and dot optimization for duty/defensive use. The fact is different lighting conditions dictate different brightness levels for optimal visibility (bright enough for quick pickup without too much blooming/flaring). Setting and forgetting at a particular brightness level will always be a compromise that at worst can result in no dot in bright conditions and target area occlusion in low light. No one can be expected to adjust dot brightness during pistol range combat conditions, or even during a match where ambient lighting could change (direct sunlight and shadows or a covered/indoor portion within a stage).

Ideally, auto-adjust would:
1) be smooth like the shield/jpoints, not discrete levels like modern RMRs
2) adjust effectively to any kind of light
3) take its cues from downrange conditions, not above, to increase effectiveness with WMLs
4) have multiple "curves" to choose from (like one of the later Docter models does), as everyone's eyes are different and some will want a brighter or dimmer curve
5) always work, no electronic snafus

Of course, nothing yet combines all of the above.

Similarly, sensitive sleep mode that always works and never messes up has no downside and extends battery life.

Then go ahead and include lens and frame size and shape of SRO but with subtle as possible reshaping to achieve rmr cat ear effect for durability, use rmr footprint, and somehow enclose the emitter without creating a mailbox.

If selectable dot/circle-dot sizes can added with no decrease in reliability, go for it.

And charge under $500 MSRP, made in USA with the utmost in quality control. . . .

Easy enough?

And EMP hardening so a Chinese nuke doesn’t fry our optics for slaying their invading troops. ;)

YVK
09-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Just had an interesting observation with the SRO. Shot three days straight outside in an area that can produce a lot of dust. Fortunately, it wasn't as windy as it could have been but on day two there was some wind. At some point I started to notice secondary projections on the screen. First, I saw a small second dot @ 11, and later a a thin line on the top, almost looked similar to how laser beam looks when you project it in a dusty air.

I could only see those with the optic grossly misaligned with the target (only noticed it at the safety table when I was cleaning the glass). I dusted off the glass and emitter window at home and everything went away. I figured that the light beam was reflecting off the dust micro-particles. Never seen that with RMR or DPP though.

kmanick
10-02-2019, 06:33 AM
stumbled across these from another post somewhere , thought I'd share.
I bought two of these, they are solid and fit perfectly. a little steep for covers IMO but I don't like leaving my optics uncovered when not in my holster
https://rangepanda.com/collections/dot-covers/products/trijicon-sro-covers

YVK
10-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Mine doesn't stay on well. I lost and found it three times during the Nats alone.

Gray222
10-23-2019, 06:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/a2plxjO.jpg (https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/10/trijicon-sro.html)

Gray222
10-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Pre-use impressions of the SRO...

https://i.imgur.com/psNfDYW.jpg

https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/10/trijicon-sro-preuse-impressions.html

hfrog355
11-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I've seen some conflicting reports.

I'm 3 months into waiting for a holster (SA-6390RDS-2222-761), but am not sure if it is going to work for my application. Despite the wait, I can cancel and go bark up a different tree (i.e. wait around for Safariland to make a different holster). Can anyone confirm that the 6390RDS will accommodate an SRO on a full size (4.25") M&P 2.0 in 9mm?

tyrusasmith
11-17-2019, 09:36 PM
I just received my 5 MOA SRO to direct mill onto my P229. It will be a fun little project on our new CNC mill.

So far it seems like max brightness, or 1 click down might be the best options for me in full sun down here in Louisiana.

I was wondering if anyone has done any "lock-in" battery life testing on the SRO at the different levels? If so can yall point me to that thread. If not, I started max brightness testing today, and I'll report when it dims or dies.

GJM
11-17-2019, 10:15 PM
I just received my 5 MOA SRO to direct mill onto my P229. It will be a fun little project on our new CNC mill.

So far it seems like max brightness, or 1 click down might be the best options for me in full sun down here in Louisiana.

I was wondering if anyone has done any "lock-in" battery life testing on the SRO at the different levels? If so can yall point me to that thread. If not, I started max brightness testing today, and I'll report when it dims or dies.

My wife ran the OEM battery in a SRO from July, checked it the other day and it was near 100 percent. She would turn it off when not in use.

tyrusasmith
11-17-2019, 10:22 PM
My wife ran the OEM battery in a SRO from July, checked it the other day and it was near 100 percent. She would turn it off when not in use.

Was it a daily carry gun, dryfire, and/or match gun? What setting does she normally have it set to?

scjbash
11-23-2019, 10:54 PM
200 rounds shooting in the rain. The loaded chamber viewing hole (M&P 2.0)seems to be spraying powder straight up the glass. It's bad enough when it's dry and the powder isn't all sticking, and some moisture made it worse.

I think I was on the third mag when a drop of water covered the emitter and murdered the dot.

That said the grime didn't cause an issue shooting plates out to 40 yards after dark using a WML or handheld.

scjbash
12-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Cat Crap seems to have solved the problem.

tyrusasmith
12-09-2019, 07:54 AM

SRO Battery life test results at max brightness locked-in: 22.5 days. It showed no signs of low battery or dimming in the previous 12 hours before it died.

Test duration 11-17-19 @ 10:23 AM to 12-8-19 @ ~10 PM - 6:30 AM the next day.

The sight wasn't mounted to a gun and remained in a climate controlled house between 70-77 F.

I'll probably do a 1 click down test next.

tyrusasmith
12-21-2019, 01:27 PM
1 click down from max brightness lock-in battery life test started 12-21-19 @ 12:25 pm. Duracell 2032.

Note: factory battery was an Energizer.

I 3d printed my proposed milling result for my P229 to test when our mill gets up and running.

vandal
12-21-2019, 09:20 PM
So what's coming on 1/8/20? SRO Gen 2?

23JAZ
12-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Mini RMR for single stacks like the G43X/48!

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but did I miss a tease re. something new from Trij on 1.8.20?

UNK
12-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but did I miss a tease re. something new from Trij on 1.8.20?
I was just getting ready to ask the same thing. A search and vist to Trijicon retuned zero results.

WobblyPossum
12-22-2019, 11:34 AM
They posted the teaser on their Instagram.

Default.mp3
12-22-2019, 11:36 AM
https://i.imgur.com/cHFg4Y6.png

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TUdTEA4ZP/

HCM
12-22-2019, 01:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/cHFg4Y6.png

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TUdTEA4ZP/

Mountains and rifle brass would indicate a rifle optic.

GJM
12-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Mountains and rifle brass would indicate a rifle optic.

Perhaps, but discounting of the RMR type 2 gives hope it is a pistol optic.

Lots of folks, mostly dreamers, thought the Glock announcement would be a long gun, so maybe it is fitting Trijicon shows rifle brass and delivers a PMO.

GJM
12-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Short version — be sure to really tighten your SRO battery cap, despite the handbook saying to tighten until you “feel resistance.”

Longer version— this morning, I pulled the battery in my main SRO and checked it at 80 percent plus. I replaced the cap, dry fired a while, and then the dot died. Timing seemed suspect, so I investigated further and found that several SRO units required significant cap tension to work. The battery door is awkward due to interference with the rear of the lens housing, and a short handle wife flat blade seems to work best. This seems like a potential gotcha, between the chance of cross threading the way you have to tighten the cap and not getting the cap tight enough. Glad the battery lasts a long time on auto mode.

While looking inside the battery compartment, it appears they select 1, 2.5 or 5 based on where they solder something on the circuit board.

Xhado
12-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Perhaps, but discounting of the RMR type 2 gives hope it is a pistol optic.

Well probably start seeing the RMR type 2.5s start to roll out. RMRs with SRO electronics.

AMC
12-28-2019, 07:07 PM
An RMR with slightly larger window and a top loading battery would be the bees knees.

ranger
01-01-2020, 11:45 PM
My SRO 5moa seems to have quit working. It is mounted on a CZ P10F Optics Ready. Purchased in late August - in use since September. I do not keep count of rounds fired - probably close to 1500-2000 rounds of a light 9mm load - 115gr. I noticed a few days ago that there was not dot when I took the pistol out of the range bag - I shook it and dropped the slide a few times and the dot appeared and finished the range session. Today - the dot is missing and shaking, etc. has not revived the dot. Interesting, when I dry fire the dot appears instantaneously but immediately disappears. I will call Trijicon tomorrow. I guess the battery could be dead in 4 months?

GJM
01-01-2020, 11:50 PM
My SRO 5moa seems to have quit working. It is mounted on a CZ P10F Optics Ready. Purchased in late August - in use since September. I do not keep count of rounds fired - probably close to 1500-2000 rounds of a light 9mm load - 115gr. I noticed a few days ago that there was not dot when I took the pistol out of the range bag - I shook it and dropped the slide a few times and the dot appeared and finished the range session. Today - the dot is missing and shaking, etc. has not revived the dot. Interesting, when I dry fire the dot appears instantaneously but immediately disappears. I will call Trijicon tomorrow. I guess the battery could be dead in 4 months?

Asssuming you don’t have a battery tester, I would first change the battery and tighten the cap a lot, not just to initial resistance.

ranger
01-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Asssuming you don’t have a battery tester, I would first change the battery and tighten the cap a lot, not just to initial resistance.

Troubleshooting today after work:
Removed P10 with SRO from safe - dot still dead
I have spare batteries on hand - common for a lot of my uses
Removed original battery
Original battery tested good on battery tester
Since I had everything opened up - installed new battery
Dot is back on
Per GJM, I insured I had the cover on tight
Will take to range hopefully this weekend
Still not sure of issue (cap slightly loose?) but happy dot is one for now
Note: primary purpose of this pistol is range use - still carrying iron sights
Thanks GJM

miller_man
01-03-2020, 08:57 AM
ranger - do you keep your SRO on auto? If not, do you leave it at your preferred brightness level?

ranger
01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
ranger - do you keep your SRO on auto? If not, do you leave it at your preferred brightness level?

I leave it on auto all the time

Bart Carter
01-03-2020, 12:29 PM
The first thing I always check with dot trouble is the battery cap, or if on the bottom, something to push against the battery (like tape). That is almost always the solution.

GJM
01-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Regarding Trijicon January announcement — I understand it is rifle scopes and NO new pistol optics.

Mike C
01-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Regarding Trijicon January announcement — I understand it is rifle scopes and NO new pistol optics.

Shit! I had my hopes up for mini SRO, guess I'll keep waiting for my glass version of the RMSw to show up. Hopefully soon.

cjb1911
01-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Is there an updated SRO coming out? It seems vendors have it on clearance now.

Alpha Sierra
01-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Is there an updated SRO coming out? It seems vendors have it on clearance now.

You might be reading too much into the markdowns. There's no way Trijicon would have a new product ready to go and not announce it at SHOT. Or their VP of marketing needs to be fired......

GJM
01-25-2020, 06:59 PM
I checked with my “dot connection” and he isn’t aware of anything imminent.

tyrusasmith
03-26-2020, 10:02 PM
SRO battery life test result: 1 click down from max brightness, locked in: 13 weeks on the money.

From and including: Saturday, December 21, 2019
To, but not including Saturday, March 21, 2020

It is 91 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 3 months excluding the end date.

Alternative time units:
2184 hours
13 weeks

I'll do another 2 clicks down, but I might finally get it mounted before then.

I finally got the mill setup at work.

1 click down from max brightness lock-in battery life test started 12-21-19 @ 12:25 pm. Duracell 2032.

Note: factory battery was an Energizer.

I 3d printed my proposed milling result for my P229 to test when our mill gets up and running.

GJM
06-02-2020, 10:54 AM

JSGlock34
06-02-2020, 08:03 PM

It's up on their website for pre-order.

http://jagerwerks.com/preorder-b-r-o-s-4-6-weeks/

They've posted a few photos and a video on their Instagram page...

p/CAf9gzbJQpQ

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/75291140_892960094464216_7335983776731219277_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=2Vm0iMfFLDoAX9pS1Gz&oh=ee53baa3881d53fb5298f6f130c865f0&oe=5EFF2F64
https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/101386465_273063737132733_37046148008610727_n.jpg? _nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=pTBXpU0dItYAX9YCOSy&oh=13b9c867897b65276e157dd278e3369c&oe=5F026BFC

Grey
06-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Someone tell Aaron Cowan that the SRO is now DUTY READY.

SoCalDep
06-03-2020, 12:34 AM
6,000 rounds into official testing now. Most of those rounds were painfully abusive - we shot 2,000 rounds in less than an hour at one point. We’ve racked the optic by hand, racked it off wood structures several times, and submerged it for 30 seconds twice and about to do it all again. The mark is 10,000 rounds. Then we’ll start dropping it.

It’s pretty cool when you shove the slide into water to cool it off and steam comes out the mag well with such force you better not have your hand there.

I’ve had it locked on max since testing started (except when actually firing it) and while it’s only been a few weeks so far I see no issues. Of course, my own SRO has been going strong being used regularly since the beginning of March.

Wise_A
06-03-2020, 05:55 AM
I've heard from several people that Trijicon RMRs play nicer with their astigmatism than other companies. Have people found that to be true with the SRO? Are there any technical reasons to think it would be similar? Once the ranges re-open around here, I'm thinking of treating myself to a non-budget pistol optic.

SoCalDep
06-03-2020, 10:20 AM
I've heard from several people that Trijicon RMRs play nicer with their astigmatism than other companies. Have people found that to be true with the SRO? Are there any technical reasons to think it would be similar? Once the ranges re-open around here, I'm thinking of treating myself to a non-budget pistol optic.

I have an astigmatism (which is worse in my dominant eye- yay) and think it’s a very individual thing based on how a specific eye perceived the reticle. I used to like the larger dots because they seemed to stay more “round” and not look like two dots or a diagonal smudge, but I’m really finding now I like the smaller dots. I have an ACRO, Holosun, SRO, and a few RMRs and a Romeo Zero. I don’t think the Trijicons are so much “better” as the smaller dots are better - for me. I think it could be totally different for you so I would try several if you can.

GJM
06-03-2020, 10:25 AM
I have an astigmatism (which is worse in my dominant eye- yay) and think it’s a very individual thing based on how a specific eye perceived the reticle. I used to like the larger dots because they seemed to stay more “round” and not look like two dots or a diagonal smudge, but I’m really finding now I like the smaller dots. I have an ACRO, Holosun, SRO, and a few RMRs and a Romeo Zero. I don’t think the Trijicons are so much “better” as the smaller dots are better - for me. I think it could be totally different for you so I would try several if you can.

Ever since the days when Aimpoint went from 4 moa to 2 moa, I was certain smaller must be better. Since I have shot optics on a pistol more, I have come to prefer a larger dot, as I am looking at the target, and a larger dot helps me look at the target but still keep awareness of the dot. I am influenced by dot size and brightness, but not the shape of the dot.

Wise_A
06-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Thanks, guys. Since I posted, I've been practicing drawing and indexing with my 34+FF3, and maintaining a target focus. I'm averaging ~100 repetitions a day. Small improvements have been made.

Now that I'm making an actual effort to really figure it out, I'm finding that it's the brightness of the dot that I find hard to deal with. I see a very bright dot and corona that makes it hard to focus on anything else. If I turn down the brightness, the reticle gets too small to see.

The Ultradot-25 (circa 2005-ish) on my dad's BE gun appears perfect to me--nice dull red, perfectly round all the time. The 2014-ish UD-25 on mine, however, is no different than any other 'dot. Hence I was trying to figure out if there was some voodoo in emitters or glass treatments or whatever.

Ever since the days when Aimpoint went from 4 moa to 2 moa, I was certain smaller must be better. Since I have shot optics on a pistol more, I have come to prefer a larger dot, as I am looking at the target, and a larger dot helps me look at the target but still keep awareness of the dot. I am influenced by dot size and brightness, but not the shape of the dot.

I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I thought I was maintaining a target focus, but I wasn't, and I didn't realize it until I started consciously training. I'm using 3x5" cards on the wall @ 5 yards. The size of the dot I see is way down, regardless of brightness. I've still no holes-in-paper data (ranges still closed, approaching 3 months), but I feel strongly I'd shoot better/faster with it now. I also had to really force my eyes to focus beyond the dot when I first started, which lead to some eyestrain soreness which I haven't encountered while shooting.