PDA

View Full Version : Detail Stripping Guidlines

jstyer
03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,

I'm coming up on 3K through the M&P9. In that time the I'm pretty sure I've cleaned the gun 3 times (Todd's cleaning habits have infected me). I've yet to have a malfunction of ANY kind with this gun, even when being semi ridiculous in my attempts to try to induce limp wrist failures last weekend. So it's sort of my ol' reliable and I don't want to jack anything up.

Since I go pretty far between cleanings I'll usually spray down the slide with brake parts cleaner and give the trigger and sear areas a few sprays with some carb cleaner to get the crusties out and things have been doing good so far. That being said, is it necessary to strip the frame every once in a while? Or should I only worry about taking it apart during preventative parts replacement?

On that same note, are there any particular places in either the trigger or sear assemblies that require lubrication?

If you notice any red flags with what I've said so far, feel free to bring them up!

orionz06
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
If it were me I would use the sprays mentioned and hit all the points mentioned, paying close attention to the sear. I would try to make sure I was blowing the crud out and not into it. Once I did that I would let it dry fully, maybe hit it with compressed air, and then use a light spray oil on everything inside. I use Amsoil Metal Protector (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amp.aspx) and cover everything inside, shake it off, and wipe it off. Then apply the normal lube in the normal lube spots. Per the manual these are the 4 frame rails, barrel hood, near the muzzle of the barrel (slide interface), and the trigger bar.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/YukonGlocker/MP9/MPlube.jpg

jstyer
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the post Orion. Those are the places I'm currently lubing, I'm just curious as to whether there are any additional lube points to be found in detail stripping. Or if detail stripping is even necessary...

ETA: Also, are they referring to the spot between the trigger bar and the sear in point #3, or the tab where the trigger bar contacts the strikker block?

Also, that AMSOIL looks like great stuff.

orionz06
03-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Not per S&W and none I have found to be advantageous. As I mentioned I like a light lube on the sear housing area, it makes me feel warm and gushy and has not contributed to any failures on my guns or any other M&P's that I know are shot a lot.

I would not worry about detail stripping it until 5k rounds when you replace the springs.