PDA

View Full Version : Swiss adopt GLOCK.

BigT
03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm told that it's just been announced at IWA that the Swiss have just adopted a GLOCK for their army. I have no more details and will post as I get more info.

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Interesting. Do they still issue the P220 in 9mm?

BigT
03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
It appears that they are getting G17's an G19's

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Both excellent choices. I have to tell my Swiss lady friend the news. :cool:

BigT
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Interesting. Do they still issue the P220 in 9mm?

Last I heard but I'm not 100% sure.

Rich Keagy
03-12-2011, 11:20 PM
My family came from Switzerland. Well, about 300 years ago.
Look, I'll talk to everyone I know there and get them switched to the correct 1911 format. And use .45 ACP instead of 9minimouse.

Kyle Reese
03-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I seriously doubt that the Swiss (or any other European nation) would consider a service handgun for mainstream adoption that wasn't 9x19 these days.

For their mission & intended use, the 9mm makes a great deal of sense in terms of training, logistics and the fact that a larger caliber really isn't needed.

Look, I'll talk to everyone I know there and get them switched to the correct 1911 format. And use .45 ACP instead of 9minimouse.

FotoTomas
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
What is IWA? I am at a loss to find any info by way of google that makes sense.

Frank B
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.iwa.info/en/

IWA is the german counterpart to the "Shot" show, of course a bit smaller.

Wheeler
03-13-2011, 07:49 PM

Is there such a thing as a correct 1911 format? :cool::p;)

FotoTomas
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.iwa.info/en/

IWA is the german counterpart to the "Shot" show, of course a bit smaller.

Thanks! I kept getting International Water Association links. :)

MikeO
05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a correct 1911 format? :cool::p;)

Beats me! According to everybody here, it is NOT the format issued to me, or my dad/uncles in WWII and Viet Nam... ;)

Tamara
05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm told that it's just been announced at IWA that the Swiss have just adopted a GLOCK for their army. I have no more details and will post as I get more info.

There's a Ron Cohen joke in there someplace.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
There's a Ron Cohen joke in there someplace.

Or warning.

GearScout
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
It appears that they are getting G17's an G19's

It's now G17s and G26s. I don't think our SF gets issued subcompacts. I wonder what they use them for...

fuse
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Ankle BUGs

ffhounddog
05-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Under covor operations maybe. SF units are also used for Intel work and behind enemy lines work.

MikeO
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
This says G17 and G26 (not G19), and for SF, not general issue. To start anyway...

Army Declares GLOCK as Winner of Evaluation for Special Forces Duty Weapon

“Smyrna, GA (May 3, 2011) – Today, GLOCK Ges.m.b.H. located in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria, announced that the Swiss Army has chosen GLOCK as the new service pistol for the Swiss Army Special Forces. The evaluation process was conducted by three independent elements of the Swiss Army: The Army Reconnaissance 10 (AAD 10: Armee Aufklärungsdetachement), a specialized unit of the Swiss Army (Special Forces) and the Swiss Military Security Agency (MilSich) tested the capabilities and efficiencies of the GLOCK pistol in the field of operations, while the technical evaluation was handled by the national evaluation and procurement agency “armasuisse”.

The GLOCK Pistol models ultimately selected were the GLOCK 17 Gen4 and GLOCK 26 Gen4 9×19 semi automatic pistols, as well as the Blue GLOCK Training pistol, the GLOCK 17T Gen4 and GLOCK 26T Gen4 which will have the ability to fire both FX and ATK Force on Force marking ammunition.

The Swiss Army began their search for a new duty pistol in 2009, in hopes of finding a firearm that would provide greater soldier superiority and survivability in battle, lighter carry weight, simplicity of use under stress and uncomplicated maintenance. GLOCK pistols excelled during field testing as the Army found them superior in ease of handling which provided evaluators superior capability to score hits during target acquisition drills.

Initially, several suppliers were invited to provide pistols and accessories. With this decision, initial orders in 2012 will go to supply the Swiss Special Forces units, provided the Swiss Parliament has approved the proposed budget.

“GLOCK is very proud to have been competitively chosen by the Swiss Army over all other competition,” said GLOCK Vice President Josh Dorsey. “GLOCK was chosen for this project due to the reliability and durability that have made GLOCK pistols famous. GLOCK’s focus remains on providing safe, simple and fast pistols to those that go in harm’s way. Our firearms are designed for these individuals to succeed and survive in any situation.”

The first round of GLOCK pistols will be issued to replace the existing SIG 220 and SIG Pro pistols being de-commissioned.”

SIG did sell the Dutch about 40K SIG P250s for the PPNL (Police Pistol Netherlands)... Walther and HK protested the award, but lost last I heard.